3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to the dealer this week - and one of the salesmen said they'll only get details in December... LOL???
Old 06-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

I just got a newsletter from my dealership, I saved the email as a htm file and uploaded it to my website: Link

If you look under "A Message from our General Manager"
Then, there's the long-awaited, completely redesigned 2007 MDX scheduled to hit our showroom this fall. Next, comes the Type S version of the TL. It will have the RL's 290-hp engine and arrive before the close of model year '06. And finally, the rumor mill is buzzing with talk of a two-door version of the TSX.
I know everyone knows by now but it's nice to have a dealer saying it too but where's the awd!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Vekro
but where's the awd!
... Umm TL with RL engine and AWD = RL (with a minor body design change). No way Acura's gonna offer (2) differenet $40K AWD 300HP cars at the same time.

I'm a believer now... That's really neat the TL-S is coming back... albeit suprising as a FWD...

290 HP is gonna torque steer all the inexperienced kid drivers into telephone poles. I hope the offer a factory Quaife differential with it, for all our sake. Maybe RWD is in the plan...

Dissapointing for me... Paid almost 1/3 down and just made my first payment on my 2006 TL. Spent another $3K+ on A-Spec and other goodies and I'm already thinking trade in.

Good news is, it apperas there's no real aftermarket for that engine yet, so odds are an 2006 TL with all the peroformance fixin's (including the blower) will blow away the TL-S, and probably be cheaper... I hope anyway.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Cruisin'

Red face

Thanks for all the responses! I'm still torn between the 06 and 07. A couple more clarifications: I'm still confused about the Type S. I always thought that the previous type-S models (CL and TL) included a combination of engine and suspension changes. I remember test driving both at the time and remarking about how the Type S was stiffer. Am I missing something? Did the A-spec designation exist back then? Very confused about this.

Also, the IPOD thing is still confusing, but this is probably because I have an IPOD and haven't even barely opened the box yet. It sounds like it is just a convenience issue, but the actual interface (sound quality) is good? Not sure how big a deal to make about this, since I have about 600 CDs and usually just listen to those. Also, what is the Musiclink?

And then there's the price: If it's going to be over $43K for the type S, doesn't it kind of decrease the "bang for the buck" factor? Might still get an 06 and maybe pocket an extra $1K or $2K for some mods.....

I drive myself crazy with things like this, but it's fun to reseach....

Rob
Old 06-09-2006, 05:33 AM
Instructor

I still don't understand what all the hoopla is over the Type-S possibility. It seems to me the Type-S is just another name for the Aspec package. The only difference is it'll come made like that from the factory vs. an 'option' at the dealership? So?

Is there any risk that the trim kit won't be available alone? The last thing I want is a stiffer suspension in a car. I want to get in it after a concert at 2am and have a comfortable drive home, not feeling every bump on the highway. And I doubt another 20-30 hp is going to mean anything to us. The car goes fast enough?

Does anyone believe the new TL will have bigger wheels?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by meagain
I still don't understand what all the hoopla is over the Type-S possibility. It seems to me the Type-S is just another name for the Aspec package. The only difference is it'll come made like that from the factory vs. an 'option' at the dealership? So?

Is there any risk that the trim kit won't be available alone? The last thing I want is a stiffer suspension in a car. I want to get in it after a concert at 2am and have a comfortable drive home, not feeling every bump on the highway. And I doubt another 20-30 hp is going to mean anything to us. The car goes fast enough?

Does anyone believe the new TL will have bigger wheels?
Type-S is more of a engine and performance enhancement far better than A-Spec.

A-Spec is a dealer option, and Type-S is a actual cars model trim which makes the resale higher and gives it enhancements all over the car, including inteior seats, tail lights and etc
Old 06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Originally Posted by A_UFO
You say the Camry does not have a VSA off switch and then you say to turn off the VSA if you want spirited driving.
If you are racing againast Camry in TL. This is TL thread so I thought we are all comparing TL to other cars.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

How can Toyota squeeze 22/31 out of 268horses on regular gas? If Acura doesn't do better in 09 TL, I'm moving onto Lexus.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raheel
Type-S is more of a engine and performance enhancement far better than A-Spec.

A-Spec is a dealer option, and Type-S is a actual cars model trim which makes the resale higher and gives it enhancements all over the car, including inteior seats, tail lights and etc
Interior seats? How so?

My husband is on the verge of buying. Like... today or this weekend! I've tried everything I could do to stop him. I think this is a huge mistake. I think they are going to change all the things we don't like about this car for 07. I'm sad.

Just looking at what they did to the 2006 TSX. Front grill is different, not apart of the hood, not plastic looking, etc.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by meagain
Interior seats? How so?

My husband is on the verge of buying. Like... today or this weekend! I've tried everything I could do to stop him. I think this is a huge mistake. I think they are going to change all the things we don't like about this car for 07. I'm sad.

Just looking at what they did to the 2006 TSX. Front grill is different, not apart of the hood, not plastic looking, etc.

The 2006 Changes were for the Base Model, Type-S Tends to be more sporty friend for us enthusiasts, and gives us what we have been asking for.

The seats were more sportier and firmer as stated in this quote from wikepedia

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TL

A Type-S model was also added, adding 35 hp (26 kW) as well as 17 in wheels, firmer seats and suspension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TL
Old 06-11-2006, 07:26 AM
5th Gear

Will the 07 TL get NAV Traffic or Air Conditioned seats?

Old 06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaavenger
Nav Traffic would not surprise me with the Nav upgrades, but I don't see ventilated seats being offered. Acura would (and should) offer them on the RL first.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Quick question, I hear a lot about the new TL getting the updated nav like in the RL, does that mean that the TL will no longer have a touch screen? I would hate to give up the touch screen I think it is so much easier to work with than a turn dial.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Advanced

I owned an 02 TL-S, Agean Blue Pearl, had competch springs installed, spoiler, etc. Was a great looking car and the most fun to drive car I have ever owned. I really enjoyed that car a lot and now that there is a possibility of another Type S, I am certainly excited about it. If the car is as fun to drive as the 02, then it will be well worth it. I hope Acura doesn't push the price on it too much. The great thing about the previous gen TL-S was the value for the performance delivered. Acura is starting to loose some of that just a bit.
-PNC
Old 06-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Actuary
How can Toyota squeeze 22/31 out of 268horses on regular gas? If Acura doesn't do better in 09 TL, I'm moving onto Lexus.
oh no what will they ever do?!?!?!?
move then.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Racer

If the TL-S does become a reality, I wonder if Acura will reduce the TL-S power in the lower gears to reduce torque steer like they did in the 06 TL manual transmission cars.

http://hondanews.com/CatID3011?mid=2...57124&mime=asc

Steering

The TL uses torque-sensing, variable power-assisted rack and pinion steering. The engine-driven variable-output pump provides the kind of steering feel that driving enthusiasts like: modest steering effort at low speeds and precise feel at higher speeds. The steering feel is very linear and evenly weighted.

Torque steer (the tendency for some front wheel drive cars to pull to the left or right during hard acceleration, especially in a turn) can be accentuated in high-performance front wheel drive cars when they are equipped with a limited slip differential. For 2006, Acura has taken steps to reduce torque steer in TLs equipped with a manual transmission. When the TL is in first or second gear, input from gear position, speed and steering angle sensors is used by the ECU to reduce power during acceleration, thus reducing torque steer. In first gear, torque can be reduced between 13 and 27 percent at full throttle, while in second gear, torque is reduced between zero and 10 percent. Torque output is reduced proportionately based on steering input--the larger the steering angle, the greater the reduction in torque. For those desiring maximum possible acceleration switching off the VSA also eliminates this torque reduction. This steering enhancement allows the TL to maintain the sporty, fun-to-drive character while providing more precise steering control.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 PM
6speed NBP

Well if they do all you need to do is take off the VSA and everything is back to full power
Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EternaLlx
Well if they do all you need to do is take off the VSA and everything is back to full power
The real problem is that Acura is trying to solve a hardware problem with software.

I would not want to remember to disable the VSA each time I drive the car nor do I advocate disabling the VSA. You never know when the VSA may save you from an accident.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Intermediate

From what I've gathered is that this model yr. we are going to see 300+ hp. and SH-AWD + new styling cues on the Type-S. I'm hoping ventilated seats are on the list and the RDX's 410 watt ELS DVD-Audio are also part of the package. A heated steering wheel would be indeed very nice.

Hopefully we will start getting facts instead of rumors very soon.

Rocky
Old 06-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Office Linebacker

Gathered from where? The posts? I don't' believe in the SH-AWD hype for the TL for this year. TL-S seems to be a go as do a few other minor changes.

It's fun to speculate though
Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Uh -oh. Rocky's been smoking that stuff again. Makes you imagine things ...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Smile RL with ventilated seats

Originally Posted by JeffS
Nav Traffic would not surprise me with the Nav upgrades, but I don't see ventilated seats being offered. Acura would (and should) offer them on the RL first.
If I am not mistaken, the Canadian versions of the RL do, in fact, come with ventilated seats. Not offered in the U.S. of A. But don't ask me why.

Gord
Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I bought an 06 last weekend! It's a black/black exterior/interior with the manual transmission. I'm quite excited about it. I figured I just couldn't justify the extra costs of waiting however many months for the 07, especially the Type S. I'll use the money I saved from rental cars and other extra costs and go buy some aftermarket toys (I'll jump to the other forums to get input on that)!

Thanks for all the advice!
Rob
Old 06-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Here's my prediction.. let's see who guesses right..

There is going to be a Type-S version with somewhere around 290 HP but no AWD.. probably going be about 2-3 grand more than the base model..
Some minor changes for the headlights and grill something like the TSX..
the back lights are going to look like the ones from China..
some minor interior changes like a different shift knob.. etc.
I don't think there is going to be any push button start or back-up camera maybe at most mp3 capability for the stereo.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

I also want to see DRLs and Auto On/Off headlamps on the 07 TL
Old 06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

2007 Acura TL

Mike from Texas:

I'm not smoking anything but rather I might be confusing the Type-S with the redesigned 2009' Model. I remember hearing from somebody speculate on another site about one of the TL models featuring SH-AWD. His source was his local Acura dealer and of course it's just "rumor" That dealer said to him something about 310 hp also. So time will tell, eh ?

Rocky
Old 06-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Let the smoke clear and lets all think straight. Ventilated seats
will not reach the TL before the RL. Acura will not release a TL at 40K+ either. The cheaper RL for '07, will fill in that void.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TL42
If I am not mistaken, the Canadian versions of the RL do, in fact, come with ventilated seats. Not offered in the U.S. of A. But don't ask me why.

Gord
That would be true! No ventilated tushies for the US.

I hope they add them to the 2007 model along with more than a 4-way power passengers seat (for all models).
Old 06-15-2006, 03:19 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by rockylee
Mike from Texas:

I'm not smoking anything but rather I might be confusing the Type-S with the redesigned 2009' Model. I remember hearing from somebody speculate on another site about one of the TL models featuring SH-AWD. His source was his local Acura dealer and of course it's just "rumor" That dealer said to him something about 310 hp also. So time will tell, eh ?

Rocky
Well, okay ... at least not inhaling, right?

Seriously, the S-type might indeed get 290hp or so, according to some rumors. But 310 I really doubt, since torque steer would be too big a problem. SH-AWD would help with that, but it seems doubtful Acura would add something that dramatic to a mid-model freshening. I'm not saying impossible, just unlikely.

The other stuff people are touting - like ventilated seats and heated steering wheels - are not gonna happen.

I personally look for the S-type to feaure a little more hp and some styling cues to make it stand out from the "standard" TL. Nothing more of consequence.

And good for you on the smoking. Just say no.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Office Linebacker

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

Seriously, the S-type might indeed get 290hp or so, according to some rumors. But 310 I really doubt, since torque steer would be too big a problem. SH-AWD would help with that, but it seems doubtful Acura would add something that dramatic to a mid-model freshening. I'm not saying impossible, just unlikely.

The other stuff people are touting - like ventilated seats and heated steering wheels - are not gonna happen.

I personally look for the S-type to feaure a little more hp and some styling cues to make it stand out from the "standard" TL. Nothing more of consequence.
QFT
Old 06-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Instructor

I believe the TL should come with ventilated disc in the rear as well. The G35 currently has them. Another plus is that the Type-S auto should come with the 4-piston calipers as the RL as well.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:07 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

Nav traffic wont' be avilabl ein Canada so that leaves with only Zagat ratings upgrade on navi
Old 06-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

What's the likelihood of the 2007 Acura TL getting AcuraLink with Real-Time Traffic? Also, is the Acura Navigation System in the 2006 RL better than the one in the 2006 Acura TL ( if so, how is it better )? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
What's the likelihood of the 2007 Acura TL getting AcuraLink with Real-Time Traffic? Also, is the Acura Navigation System in the 2006 RL better than the one in the 2006 Acura TL ( if so, how is it better )? Thanks.
I would say chances are pretty good IF they upgrade the Navi to the one that the TSX has. I assume the new RLs is as good as the TSX which is a generation newer than the TL's and which has a couple hundred more voice commands and is able to take voice input on addresses.

The geo-data, per se, is upgraded on a new DVD every fall. You can get info on that at www.acura.com. It's about $165 or something. I'm going to upgrade my data this fall but I'm still using what came with my 2004 TL with no obvious omissions.

We had a meet at Markham Park on Saturday and all the little drives in the park were in the data base. (Much to my pleasant surprise)
Old 06-18-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I would say chances are pretty good IF they upgrade the Navi to the one that the TSX has. I assume the new RLs is as good as the TSX which is a generation newer than the TL's and which has a couple hundred more voice commands and is able to take voice input on addresses.

The geo-data, per se, is upgraded on a new DVD every fall. You can get info on that at www.acura.com. It's about $165 or something. I'm going to upgrade my data this fall but I'm still using what came with my 2004 TL with no obvious omissions.

We had a meet at Markham Park on Saturday and all the little drives in the park were in the data base. (Much to my pleasant surprise)
The 2006 Acura TL and the 2006 Acura TSX don't have the same generation Acura Navigation Systems? WTF? Is the resolution better in the newer generation Acura Navigation System?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
The 2006 Acura TL and the 2006 Acura TSX don't have the same generation Acura Navigation Systems? WTF? Is the resolution better in the newer generation Acura Navigation System?
Not sure about the res- I haven't actually used one. I have no complaints with my res however.

If you go to www.acura.com and check the features of the TSX Navi, you will see the difference.

We have to type in street numbers and names but they can enter it by voice -one number or letter at time spelled out. Like the HFL phone.

The TSX Voice Command/Navi recognizes 650 voice commands; the TL: 290.

Also: For some odd reason, the TSX has a 360 W audio system compared with the TL's 225W.

And - the iPod connection in the TSX is in the center console. In the TL, it's in the glove compartment (?) so, apparently, you have to have it open when you're connected to the iPod if you want to see the screen because I don't think it comes up on the audio screen in the dash.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Not sure about the res- I haven't actually used one. I have no complaints with my res however.

If you go to www.acura.com and check the features of the TSX Navi, you will see the difference.

We have to type in street numbers and names but they can enter it by voice -one number or letter at time spelled out. Like the HFL phone.

The TSX Voice Command/Navi recognizes 650 voice commands; the TL: 290.

Also: For some odd reason, the TSX has a 360 W audio system compared with the TL's 225W.

And - the iPod connection in the TSX is in the center console. In the TL, it's in the glove compartment (?) so, apparently, you have to have it open when you're connected to the iPod if you want to see the screen because I don't think it comes up on the audio screen in the dash.
What is Acura thinking?! Acura better make this 2007 Acura TL re-fresh a good one.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:13 AM
6th Gear

Additional voice commands

I am not sure the additional voice commands is necessarily a good thing. How many voice commands do you actually use, let alone remember??? I believe the system is more likely to mis-interpret your command when its database keeps growing and growing, although maybe the voice recognition is getting better.

2004 TSX Navi, waitng to trade int a 2007 TL......
Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 AM
Instructor

The '07 Camry has a mp3 input. The TL im pretyyy sure will come with at least an mp3 player or aux jack as well. The glove compartment plug for ipod is the stupiest idea Acura came up with. You can't even see it on screen.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Any chances of the 2007 Acura TL getting an Intelligent Key ( keyless entry )? The new 2007 Nissan Maxima ( re-fresh ) got it and it's pretty cool, though not nearly as cool as my brothers' 2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD with keyless entry and push-button start.

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1