3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come no one has mentioned that the 07 TL will be the return of the Type-S?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stash
How come no one has mentioned that the 07 TL will be the return of the Type-S?
Someone already has. It's somewhere in the last couple of pages
Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

The thing I find amusing is the number of people who said "oh, the Type-S is dead, finished, kaput, bygone, inanimate, no longer existent". Well, GUESS WHAT, it's BACK! All those people who said it was gone were just Type-S haters who were worried that their A-Specs would be outclassed within a few years.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Instructor

i hope a new thread will be made once official or credible information about 2007s are released.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 56Oval
Almost accurate. The stereo does play DTS encoded CDs. I play them in my stereo all the time. They show up with a little "DTS" similar to how the DVD-Audio's show up with a "DVD" Now the fact that the stereo doesn't decode CD-Text or RDS is absolutely idiotic. And agreed, if they went to the trouble to get it to play DVD-Audio, why not let it do DVD-Video and just play the audio. It has the 5.1 decoder in there already....
Where do you get dts encoded CDs though? A search of Amazon.com yielded less than 50 titles, and some of those were dual dts/DVD-A. And I thought DVD-A was obscure!

It just infuriates me that I can't (a) listen to soundtracks recorded in 5.1, or (b) listen stereo CDs in a derived 5.1 mix via a Dolby Pro Logic decoder that's on every cheap ass home theater AV receiver at Best Buy.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tracerit
i hope a new thread will be made once official or credible information about 2007s are released.

I absolutely agree with you.
Everybody seems to know all 100% reliable informations about the changes on the TL 2007, but strange! the informations are discordant: AWD, 300 h.p., Type S, A-Spec, little restiling. If I'm not wrong the Acura TL was released on the end of September 2003... And Honda doesn't like give informations before time is come... Well: let's wait a couple of months more and we'll find the truth!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Isn't a Type-S the same thing as an A-Spec? The type S would have sports suspension, etc? I really wish I could understand exactly what a Type-S is. I've searched and asked, and can't figure it out. If it has sports suspension - I don't want it. The car is already stiffer than we want.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

there was an A-Spec TL type-s before with the 2G. i think it was all cosmetic compared to the tl-s
Old 06-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
07 Toyota Camry @ 268hp, what about the 07 TL?

With the 07 Toyota Camry @ 268hp, which basically competes against the accord, will the 0t TL sport anymore HP?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:29 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
I predict ~30 extra horsepower and a different front bumper design...
Old 06-03-2006, 06:34 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I saw two camrys today and the yare hard to distinguish from front(in rear view mirror). SE 4 cylinder looks like 6 cylinder
Old 06-03-2006, 11:39 PM
10th Gear

Was my question too stupid to be answered?
Old 06-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Instructor

The TL will get the real traffic navi, like the RL, RDX, & MDX for '07.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL Muscle
Was my question too stupid to be answered?
You honestly think people are going to remember a question you asked on May 29th? And THEN don't have the courtesy to re-ask it?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
I predict ~30 extra horsepower and a different front bumper design...
A front end redesign would be great. I don't care for the front end. It doesn't 'go' with the rear. The rear is great, but the front bulbous rounded nose.... just doesn't work for us here. I hope you are right!
Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by meagain
You honestly think people are going to remember a question you asked on May 29th? And THEN don't have the courtesy to re-ask it?

What's to remember? It's printed. You didn't have a problem finding it. And speaking of courtesy.....

I've been observing this community for a while and I noticed that the moderator has taken the time to welcome the newbies and invite them to stick around and learn. That is exactly what the better internet "communities" do. So I plunged in to ask a question I had on my mind lately but felt it might be a stupid one to ask of people who are obviously more knowledgable about the cars than myself. So when I noticed that it was the only question for several pages that went unanswered by someone, I felt that mayble I was right about it being stupid. So I was disappointed.

You're reaction is just the kind of reaction that drives newbies away from internet communities - along with not getting the stupid questions answered.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Common Acura, this is driving me crazy! I've been scouring the net to find out hard fast info on the 07 TL. I'm sick of the speculation. I just don't understand the secrecy of Acura. Most other lux brands have rolled out their 07 models. But I guess that's why I love Honda/Acura because they play by their own rules. The 07 model better have substantial changes to justify the late 07 roll out date.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Again, it makes no sense for them to get info out there earlier on what is likely to be some relatively minor changes (although I hope I am wrong there--really want AWD and will jump to an 07 if we get it), as it will kill sales of 06s already out there.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
Again, it makes no sense for them to get info out there earlier on what is likely to be some relatively minor changes (although I hope I am wrong there--really want AWD and will jump to an 07 if we get it), as it will kill sales of 06s already out there.
I think the same. But the question for Acura now is: 1) Try to get the horsepowers of a new G35 or of the new BMW 3.0 biturbo or of the Lexus 3.5...for not loosing leadership in it's class 2) Try to get only minor changes for not compromising even more the bad selling of the RL...
The better thing for us would be the rebirth of a new generation of "supercharged" TL, AWD and with 300 h.p. It had to be as the RS for Audi, the M for the BMW or the AMG for Merc...(as the fantastic prototype in 2004 with orange exterior, red interior and 20" wheels) and with a price about the 40.000 $...
Old 06-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

It is a double edge knife to get information out early, kills sales of the current year, but might also loose people like myself that are tired of the TL, and maybe going to jump into something else.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
What's to remember? It's printed. You didn't have a problem finding it. And speaking of courtesy.....

I've been observing this community for a while and I noticed that the moderator has taken the time to welcome the newbies and invite them to stick around and learn. That is exactly what the better internet "communities" do. So I plunged in to ask a question I had on my mind lately but felt it might be a stupid one to ask of people who are obviously more knowledgable about the cars than myself. So when I noticed that it was the only question for several pages that went unanswered by someone, I felt that mayble I was right about it being stupid. So I was disappointed.

You're reaction is just the kind of reaction that drives newbies away from internet communities - along with not getting the stupid questions answered.
If this was your question:

"Is there indeed any time between the announcement of the new model year and the freezing of orders for the old model year?"

Then I have to say your question is a bit vague. I'm assuming you mean is there any real correlation between the time new models are announced and the date on which orders for current models are no longer processed ... and if so, the answer is that no one here really knows.

But I doubt it. New models are something that happens every year, and announcements about them are usually regulated by the carmaker's marketing department. Ceasing orders for existing models is more often a function of manufacturing considerations and existing supplies. Needless to say, if a carmaker has tons of '06's on the ground already, it will be more likely to stop taking orders for them sooner.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Racer

The best approach is to simply quote your own post and re-ask your question rather than expect forum members to go searching for your question you posed in the past. Especially in long threads.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Cheeeeeeckit?

Looking back at the threads a year ago (when everyone was dying to know what was in store for the 06 model) looks like acura made an announcement on 8/1/05....so perhaps...we are within 2 months of an announcement:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=2006+TL
Old 06-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Instructor

TL Muscle - I'm a newbie myself. I asked at least 3 times for someone to tell me what a type-s is. I never got the answer. I'm not upset about it. I shall ask again till someone answers cuz I can't find a thing via google.

I'm just saying it would help for you to ask the question again since it's buried.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
I dissagree. It's making people look at other brands. Some people can't wait or don't want to wait for months on end when there's new 07's already on the street. Further, there's plenty of info that there will be a change for 07. This is doing nothing but putting people in limbo. I'm just saying this method might make people buy other brands.

Putting info out now could HELP sales. If the changes are minor, people might scarf up the 06's to save some money, etc. I just think it could go either way.
Anyway - I'm mad at Acura and want to biatch slap them right now.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Msnowdon
It is a double edge knife to get information out early, kills sales of the current year, but might also loose people like myself that are tired of the TL, and maybe going to jump into something else.
Exactly!!!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Almost there

I still like the way the 2006 model looks better. Hopefully i can save up for the end of the year sale to afford one. I heard the tail lights are def. gonna be clear and the mirrors are a def. with the signals.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Instructor

I they ONLY changed the wheels - It'll be worth the wait for me. The current ones look like cheap plastic IMO. I even like the TSX wheels better.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I dissagree. It's making people look at other brands. Some people can't wait or don't want to wait for months on end when there's new 07's already on the street. Further, there's plenty of info that there will be a change for 07. This is doing nothing but putting people in limbo. I'm just saying this method might make people buy other brands.

Putting info out now could HELP sales. If the changes are minor, people might scarf up the 06's to save some money, etc. I just think it could go either way.
Anyway - I'm mad at Acura and want to biatch slap them right now.
I feel you on that meagain. I think this waiting is ridiculous. If the changes are minor I don't see how that can affect current sales. And people who are in the market for a new car have info on other lux brand (lexus, infiniti, etc..) and I think they will not consider the current Acura or be unwilling to wait it out to find out if there's any substantial change to keep up with the technological arms race among vehicles. When the 3G TL first came out it was a trailblazer in terms of technology but now it's middle of the pack compared to other current models and falls towards the end when compared to 07 models.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Advanced

I they ONLY changed the wheels - It'll be worth the wait for me. The current ones look like cheap plastic IMO. I even like the TSX wheels better.
This is not a big factor for me... Most likely I will get some good aftermarket 19' wheels..
The biggest factor for me as someone mentioned.. is stuff that even lower-end Hondas and Toyotas have... mp3 capability, auto headlights, push button start, and back-up camera.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Racer

TL Muscle - I'm a newbie myself. I asked at least 3 times for someone to tell me what a type-s is. I never got the answer. I'm not upset about it. I shall ask again till someone answers cuz I can't find a thing via google.

I'm just saying it would help for you to ask the question again since it's buried.
The answer to your question for 2007 is no one knows.

Here are the differences between TL and TL-S 2003 that you can review.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

Hi all,

OK, I'll jump on the band-wagon and add my own frustrations here as well (it's my first post - forgive the length of this one):

A few weeks ago I was run off the freeway into the median by some maniac, completely totaling my 98 Ram Air Trans Am. Granted, this car was not in the same class as the TL as far as refinement/sophistication, but it was my baby :-)

So now I'm looking for something that doesn't feel slow compared to the TA (which may be impossible) with more refinement. I've pretty much settled on the TL, but I'm frustrated with 2006/2007 decision (playing the rental car game right now). I guess here are a few of my thoughts/questions:

1) If someone were to guess, what would a good estimate be for a 2007 6 speed "Type-S" with Nav? I'm thinking since the 2006 is about 35K + $6K for the A-spec, that the Type-S would be more than that? (over $41K?). Is there any way you guys think they would sell it for less? This alone might make me choose a 2006....

2) Based on past history, how stiff/uncomfortable was the ride in the Type S vs. standard TL (in the previous generation)?

3) The previous post by A_UFO listed the comparison specs for a Type S vs standard TL for the 2003 model. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought there were suspension differences as well (accounting for the stiffer ride)?

4) If the engine remains a 3.2L with just some intake/exhaust enhancements (as some posts have suggested), how "upgradable" do you think a 2006 would be? My Trans Am with the ram-air package could have been almost completely done aftermarket with similar if not better results....and probably cheaper too.

5) I'm confused what the problems are with the IPOD hookup on the 2006 models. I realize that going thru the glove box is not ideal, but are there any technical/sound issues? Does it work well with the steering wheel controls?

Thanks if you've read this far. I realize most of this is guess-work, but I've been storing away questions as I've read the last 20 pages of this topic :-)

Looking forward to whatever I get!
Rob
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob C
4) If the engine remains a 3.2L with just some intake/exhaust enhancements (as some posts have suggested), how "upgradable" do you think a 2006 would be? My Trans Am with the ram-air package could have been almost completely done aftermarket with similar if not better results....and probably cheaper too.

5) I'm confused what the problems are with the IPOD hookup on the 2006 models. I realize that going thru the glove box is not ideal, but are there any technical/sound issues? Does it work well with the steering wheel controls?
The TL has many good aftermarket upgrades such as the AEM cold air intake (or a few other brands) eibach springs, koni shocks or tein coilovers, at least 2 or 3 good exhaust options, headers, a pulley, supercharger.. there's a lot out there for performance and most seems reasonably priced thru ebay vendors and the like. You can also get the bodykit cheap online, something like $750 I think.

The trouble with the acura ipod hookup is that not only does it go thru the glove box, but the interface is horribly underdeveloped. In fact, there is none, it just uses the cd player interface and some sort of horrible voice command system which was designed for cd tracks, not your ipod. It's frustrating to navigate your music which is the real deal breaker.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:07 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
1) Purely swag pricing here... Based on a Type S edition being released, I'd assume some mild engine performance increases (20 hp or so) and a series of A-Spec type of add-ons. Considering an A-Spec TL is $41K, I'd expect at least $43K since the Type-S has actual "performance" add-ons.

2) No idea

3) No idea

4) Plenty. With a CAI, Eshift Pro catalytic converters, and UR pulley, you can add almost 40 HP. Provided the same 3.2L engine, I'd expect to see 270 HP in 2007 with a mild ECU timing/retune and intake exhaust work... With these mods you'd be well over 300 at the crank (less than $1500 btw).

Add in a $4K supercharger and your pushing 350-360 to the crank... How much money you want to burn?

5) Probably the sole reason to wait for 2007. Musiclink blows, aftermarket is there, but it's not much better. The musiclink emulates a cd changer (i.e. no mp3 tags on screen, just CD1 TRK 2)... You control the IPOD by having your computer read all your mp3 tags and digitize a voice reding of them. You then "browse the Ipod" by listening to the digitized voice, which is stored as a playlist on your Ipod.
You don;t have to mount the ipod in the glovebox either...

The worst part is the 3+ hours it takes to run the TTS software that does the voice digitization... which has to be rerun everytime you update your ipod. Yuck.

The 2006 TSX AND MDX use the newer gen 4 navigation which can use voice navigation (say street name then start navigation to it...), and it come with an AUX port to plug accessories into.
Again, not "screen friendly", but better than $180 worht of robotic voice cluginess.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob C

1) If someone were to guess, what would a good estimate be for a 2007 6 speed "Type-S" with Nav? I'm thinking since the 2006 is about 35K + $6K for the A-spec, that the Type-S would be more than that? (over $41K?). Is there any way you guys think they would sell it for less? This alone might make me choose a 2006....

2) Based on past history, how stiff/uncomfortable was the ride in the Type S vs. standard TL (in the previous generation)?

3) The previous post by A_UFO listed the comparison specs for a Type S vs standard TL for the 2003 model. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought there were suspension differences as well (accounting for the stiffer ride)?

Rob
1) No such thing as a Type-S in the 3rd Gen TL. There is a 6MT and a 5AT. There are no name differences in the two.

2) The ride only changes when you have the A-spec kit installed. It includes the Aero kit, Shocks and springs, Steering wheel, rims and badging. (Personally I would add it on later, not from the dealer)

3) See previous

4)There are your normal bolt ons, and a supercharger at this time. But beyond that, not a lot to choose from YET!! We are all working as a community to change that.

5)As of right now the iPod interfaces are still a little buggy. The interface manufactures are working on it and should be better shortly. There is alot to deal with when you have the XM, Nav, Bluetooth, Radio, 6-DVD/CD indash to work around with the firmware.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I just found out Camry doesn't have "VSA off" switch. One of review says "if you smash on gas, you are rewarded with half second dead silence".

So if you are racing Camry, turn off VSA and do TQ braking
Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Actuary
I just found out Camry doesn't have "VSA off" switch. One of review says "if you smash on gas, you are rewarded with half second dead silence".

You say the Camry does not have a VSA off switch and then you say to turn off the VSA if you want spirited driving.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Actuary

All someone needs to do is find a fuse to turn off VSA, I know someone figured that out with the G35X, in which they made a switch which would make the fuse unusable and the AWD System would turn off
Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
1) Purely swag pricing here... Based on a Type S edition being released, I'd assume some mild engine performance increases (20 hp or so) and a series of A-Spec type of add-ons. Considering an A-Spec TL is $41K, I'd expect at least $43K since the Type-S has actual "performance" add-ons.

2) No idea

3) No idea

4) Plenty. With a CAI, Eshift Pro catalytic converters, and UR pulley, you can add almost 40 HP. Provided the same 3.2L engine, I'd expect to see 270 HP in 2007 with a mild ECU timing/retune and intake exhaust work... With these mods you'd be well over 300 at the crank (less than $1500 btw).

Add in a $4K supercharger and your pushing 350-360 to the crank... How much money you want to burn?

5) Probably the sole reason to wait for 2007. Musiclink blows, aftermarket is there, but it's not much better. The musiclink emulates a cd changer (i.e. no mp3 tags on screen, just CD1 TRK 2)... You control the IPOD by having your computer read all your mp3 tags and digitize a voice reding of them. You then "browse the Ipod" by listening to the digitized voice, which is stored as a playlist on your Ipod.
You don;t have to mount the ipod in the glovebox either...

The worst part is the 3+ hours it takes to run the TTS software that does the voice digitization... which has to be rerun everytime you update your ipod. Yuck.

The 2006 TSX AND MDX use the newer gen 4 navigation which can use voice navigation (say street name then start navigation to it...), and it come with an AUX port to plug accessories into.
Again, not "screen friendly", but better than $180 worht of robotic voice cluginess.

You know I agree about the musiclink. I've got a couple of pc's at home, I was using one to sync the ipod and the musiclink was taking FOREVER! (i've got 7500 songs on my ipod, 26000 in my collection). On a whim I switched pc's and used one of my other ones. The music link takes about an hour. Both pc's are very close to being the same: slow one - amd 64 3800 hp media center with 2 gig ram, fast one - amd 64 3700 home built pc with 2 gig ram. I work in IT and I can't figure it out.

Dave
Old 06-07-2006, 12:13 PM
06 six speed with navi

I hope not...

I just got the '06 white diamond 6-speed with navi....I hope they don't change up the body style for at least a couple years...anyone with breaking news please contact me...thanks

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1