3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Office Linebacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread over at NSXPrime. Difficult to concentrate with that Elisha Cuthbert avatar.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Im just sitting here reading road&track. New 330 or 335 will be turbocharged, not natural inspired? Everyone puts turbo these days. Saturn,Pontiac,BMW. Can't wait to see the 07 or 09 TL with higher output
Old 05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

2007 TL Wish List

Alright, I have followed this forum for the past 3 months and must admit I would love the boost in HP, A spec, but I am a simple guy and would just love the addition of 3 basic things on the 07 TL. 1) Why can't I burn a disc full of MP3's and stick it in the CD player? (minor annoyance) 2) Why is it that a $30-35k car does not have headlights that come on automatically when every other car on earth now has that feature. (minor annoyance and a ticket waiting to happen) 3) Give me keyless entry and start like the RL, Lexus IS, 07 Camry SLE. I know these are minor details but expectations at this pricepoint now.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
^^^I dont think thats too much to ask for. Big werd on #1.....
Old 05-30-2006, 03:35 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's another hope... Let's make an Ipod integration system that works. Honda is the only automaker out there that can't seem to figure this out.

Lucky for you, my suspicions are that's about what you're gonna get in 2007... plus a few aestetic changes.
If Acura does offer all the exciting thing people here are wooding out over, the price is gonna creep well into the RL price range, which frankly, is the RL's market...

Boosting the HP to 300 hp, then adding the weight and drag of SH-AWD will not satisfy you sport car nuts desires... It'll make the TL a bigger, heavier, more slightly more spirited car. Wish too hard, and they'll do like infinity and offer the AWD in AT only... That' a driving machine

Those wanting the ultimate TL, wish for RWD bolted to a 3.5L DOHC engine... I could care less about keyless ignition (although it is novel). That just means it cost $400 when you drop your keys in the lake fishing.

Originally Posted by Fireonice
Alright, I have followed this forum for the past 3 months and must admit I would love the boost in HP, A spec, but I am a simple guy and would just love the addition of 3 basic things on the 07 TL. 1) Why can't I burn a disc full of MP3's and stick it in the CD player? (minor annoyance) 2) Why is it that a $30-35k car does not have headlights that come on automatically when every other car on earth now has that feature. (minor annoyance and a ticket waiting to happen) 3) Give me keyless entry and start like the RL, Lexus IS, 07 Camry SLE. I know these are minor details but expectations at this pricepoint now.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Racer

Exclamation No keyless for me: Remote Keyless System & Theft

Here is an interesting story on CNET about the ease of defeating the security code on your key fob and keyless starting.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6516433-1.html
Old 05-30-2006, 08:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by A_UFO
Here is an interesting story on CNET about the ease of defeating the security code on your key fob and keyless starting.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6516433-1.html
Ever given any thought to Bluetooth? Or your wireless connection from your laptop/desktop, Blackberry, Treo, etc.? There have been several stories about people grabbing a phone's ESN via the BT signal, then running up big bills on the user's account. And of course, stealing wireless router signals to pirate broadband access is common.

So, who are we gonna call? Ghostbusters?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
There is an Acura Design Center opening in Los Angeles in 2007...

...I'm going to apply and leak information out for everyone on the forums for future automobiles.

...it is fustrating...i'm anxious to see what the 07 offers.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Bingo on #2 & #3. On #1, are you saying the disc player should decode mp3? I haven't seen any OEM units that do that. Couple of things I'd add to your list:

1. They went to the trouble of implementing a 5.1 audio system, but the ONLY source signal it does 5.1 is DVD-Audio. Let's see a show of hands how many TL owners have an entire collection of DVD-audio discs of their favorite music? That's what I thought. It blows my mind that they went to the expense of installing speakers and PAs to support 5.1 ofor an audio format that is almost non-existent , but then FAILED to include even a CHEAP Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 decoder that derives a 5.1 signal from a stereo CD (or stereo FM). Even the cheapest 5.1 Audio-Video Receivers availble for home use have this decoder - so why not give people the benefit of hearing 5.1 sound on ALL their discs???? DUH! I predict the 07 G35 optional audio system wll blow the doors off Acura's if they don't improve it.

2. Make the disc player so that it will play the 5.1 audio tracks, in either Dolby Digital or dts, on DVD videos. I know you can't show the video when the cars in motion, that's OK. But why can't I listen to concert DVDs that I have that are in 5.1? It's not that expensive to do, mostly SW/FW.

3. Instantaneous fuel milage in the DIC display. Hey it's a few more lines of code, come on guys.

4. How about a magnetic selective ride system option ala C6 Vette? Chevy does it for $1600. Tour or Sport, who needs A-spec?

5. They either need to offer an option for sport seats or make the lateral and thigh support better in the ones they have now. These seats are nowhere close to as comfortable as the ones in my CL Type S.

6. How bout a HUD option? It sounds gimmicky but once you've driven a car with one (e.g., BMW 5 series) done right with nav directions integrated, it's a really nice feature.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by russ_777
Bingo on #2 & #3. On #1, are you saying the disc player should decode mp3? I haven't seen any OEM units that do that. Couple of things I'd add to your list:

1. They went to the trouble of implementing a 5.1 audio system, but the ONLY source signal it does 5.1 is DVD-Audio. Let's see a show of hands how many TL owners have an entire collection of DVD-audio discs of their favorite music? That's what I thought. It blows my mind that they went to the expense of installing speakers and PAs to support 5.1 ofor an audio format that is almost non-existent , but then FAILED to include even a CHEAP Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 decoder that derives a 5.1 signal from a stereo CD (or stereo FM). Even the cheapest 5.1 Audio-Video Receivers availble for home use have this decoder - so why not give people the benefit of hearing 5.1 sound on ALL their discs???? DUH! I predict the 07 G35 optional audio system wll blow the doors off Acura's if they don't improve it.

2. Make the disc player so that it will play the 5.1 audio tracks, in either Dolby Digital or dts, on DVD videos. I know you can't show the video when the cars in motion, that's OK. But why can't I listen to concert DVDs that I have that are in 5.1? It's not that expensive to do, mostly SW/FW.

3. Instantaneous fuel milage in the DIC display. Hey it's a few more lines of code, come on guys.

4. How about a magnetic selective ride system option ala C6 Vette? Chevy does it for $1600. Tour or Sport, who needs A-spec?

5. They either need to offer an option for sport seats or make the lateral and thigh support better in the ones they have now. These seats are nowhere close to as comfortable as the ones in my CL Type S.

6. How bout a HUD option? It sounds gimmicky but once you've driven a car with one (e.g., BMW 5 series) done right with nav directions integrated, it's a really nice feature.
THe new BMW 3 series decodes MP3's as a standard, and I think a few manf have them out.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin

...I'm going to apply and leak information out for everyone on the forums for future automobiles.

Feel free to use me as a reference!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
[happen) 3) Give me keyless entry and start like the RL, Lexus IS, 07 Camry SLE. I know these are minor details but expectations at this pricepoint now.[/QUOTE]

1) The MP3 is consideried not having a quality sound for a DVD 5.1 stero system as the E.L.S TL.
2) The lights come on automatically if: you live them ON when you close whit the remote control the car and when next time you'll open it the lights come on automatically.
3) The Keyless access... You can find it in a new Civic too... Or a Passat: it doesn't distinguish a luxury sadan from a lot of cheap cars any more.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Instructor

I'll be utterly stunned if the '07 doesn't have push button start.

What I want: Push button start, removal of the cassette player & it's buttons (it's all so ugly and archaic), a more stylish front end, and I PRAY they get rid of the stock wheels. They really bother me.

Most of all, I'd like for Acura to throw out some information like Infinity did with the G35 and a slew of other companies did. Heck, I'm seeing 2007 Camry's in store parking lots. I'm starting to think there will be no change at all for 2007.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin

...it is fustrating...i'm anxious to see what the 07 offers.
Accuratein what is that kit in your avatar?? that looks sick.. that's not the factory kit is it? looks different.. I like it!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Cheeeeeeckit?

Originally Posted by meagain
I'll be utterly stunned if the '07 doesn't have push button start.

What I want: Push button start, removal of the cassette player & it's buttons (it's all so ugly and archaic), a more stylish front end, and I PRAY they get rid of the stock wheels. They really bother me.

Most of all, I'd like for Acura to throw out some information like Infinity did with the G35 and a slew of other companies did. Heck, I'm seeing 2007 Camry's in store parking lots. I'm starting to think there will be no change at all for 2007.
i couldn't agree more...it drives me nuts that i go to autospies.com or insideline.com and every day you see things about other manufacturers, not just 07 models but 08 models!!!! How is it that there is NOTHING on acura?!?!!? If they keep their cards that close to the vest they owe a little more effective communication with consumers. I understand that everyone is saying that doing that too early would compromise 06 sales...but i would argue that the same thing is happening at this point....there are a percentage of people that are holding out on buying a TL just because they are "waiting" to see what the 07 holds. Good grief this post has like 50,000 some odd views if that tells you anything...and this is just a single thread on a single forum.

Good points have been made on this thread about some of how the meager requests of forum members for technology updates have trickled down to the economy line of cars. civics, camrys etc are now coming with nav and push button start. If i'm buying and i'm interested in an acura...i'm waiting to 07 regardless of when they make an announcement at this point.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Advanced

1) The MP3 is consideried not having a quality sound for a DVD 5.1 stero system as the E.L.S TL.
2) The lights come on automatically if: you live them ON when you close whit the remote control the car and when next time you'll open it the lights come on automatically.
3) The Keyless access... You can find it in a new Civic too... Or a Passat: it doesn't distinguish a luxury sadan from a lot of cheap cars any more.

1.) oh.. and the cassette player is??
2.) but the lights will be on all the time.. day or night... why does a minivan(odyssey) have this feature and we don't?
3.) all the more reason to include it..
Old 05-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by krio
[happen) 3) Give me keyless entry and start like the RL, Lexus IS, 07 Camry SLE. I know these are minor details but expectations at this pricepoint now.

1.) oh.. and the cassette player is??
2.) but the lights will be on all the time.. day or night... why does a minivan(odyssey) have this feature and we don't?
3.) all the more reason to include it..
Old 05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brian92873
I understand that everyone is saying that doing that too early would compromise 06 sales...but i would argue that the same thing is happening at this point....there are a percentage of people that are holding out on buying a TL just because they are "waiting" to see what the 07 holds.
Or, I think they are flocking to the 2007's already released like the Camry or the G35, and all the other cars that minimally have information out. Why wait for something that may not exist like the fabled 2007 TL changes?

Yes, I'm really thinking changes for the 07 won't be happening at this point. Tomorrow is JUNE. Surely if they have a new car coming out in 5 months, and if there were changes to it - there'd be info at this point.

So why should I wait for something that might not be happening? That Infinity G35 looks stunning. It was nice of them to show pictures, etc. Makes me want one and not want to wait for the crap shoot of a revised TL. Or just get a Camry. So truely I think it's a mistake Acura is making.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:14 PM
5th Gear

My Acura dealer told me that in October 2006, there will be a TL type S with 300hp.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM
AcurAdmirer

are you saying the disc player should decode mp3? I haven't seen any OEM units that do that.
My Infiniti M45 plays MP3's, my wife's Caddy STS plays MP3's, my neighbor's Jeep Grand Cherokee plays MP3's ... all OEM units. shall I go on?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I still don't understand the interest in downgrading a TL to Camry... Yuck.

Yippee... 270HP in an econo yuckbox.
OK, so you get MP3, remote start (option), and aux audio jack (which is pretty obvious will be in the 2007 TL).

TL is virtually the same HP in twice the looks packaging... You go ahead
and "upgrade"... No A-Spec kit, no sport suspension...

What WILL be interesting is the TRD packages that are sure to come for the new Camry. I'd suspect a factory option blower for $2-3K that'sll pull 320+ HP.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by meagain
Or, I think they are flocking to the 2007's already released like the Camry or the G35, and all the other cars that minimally have information out. Why wait for something that may not exist like the fabled 2007 TL changes?

Yes, I'm really thinking changes for the 07 won't be happening at this point. Tomorrow is JUNE. Surely if they have a new car coming out in 5 months, and if there were changes to it - there'd be info at this point.

So why should I wait for something that might not be happening? That Infinity G35 looks stunning. It was nice of them to show pictures, etc. Makes me want one and not want to wait for the crap shoot of a revised TL. Or just get a Camry. So truely I think it's a mistake Acura is making.
Honda/Acura is tight about there new releases, the 2004 TL was kept under a vault till the last month or two.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
My Infiniti M45 plays MP3's, my wife's Caddy STS plays MP3's, my neighbor's Jeep Grand Cherokee plays MP3's ... all OEM units. shall I go on?
don't forget.. even the scion has it..
Old 05-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Advanced

At this point.. if acura doesn't give those basic things that fireonice pointed out.. mp3 capability, auto headlights, push button ignition.. that's slap in our faces and I don't really see much going for the TL..

Acura can brag all it wants about having the best sales for a luxury sedan but they want to be cocky and not make any changes for '07 and still expect it to sell.... Well sorry, but I am taking my hard earned money elsewhere like an '07 G35..
Old 05-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Cheeeeeeckit?

Originally Posted by canoura
My Acura dealer told me that in October 2006, there will be a TL type S with 300hp.
This seems to be the message from most dealers. However, i think the point here is that Acura Corporate needs to be empowering their dealers with a little more collateral and a little less 'word of mouth.' From a product marketing standpoint, that is a very bland way of spreading the message...especially in the automotive market, where the "gotta have it" factor weighs heavily. I certainly understand the need to not release this information too early in the model year...but keep in mind the Acura Model year begins in October, not January. This means that we are in month 8 of the 2006 model year. If an announcement; whether in the form of a press release or a spyshot is not released, meagain makes a good point, the chances for a substantial update which include the wish list items of many on this forum is greatly reduced (and would be VERY unfortunate for acura)

conversely, a reasonable argument could be made for a 2007 refresh with this in mind: The TL has replaced the RL as Acura's flagship model. The RL has fallen far short of sales expectations, while the 04-06 TL has well exceeded them. As the TL ages and begins to fall short of the "standard" expectation for a luxury sedan, those numbers will ultimately slump. With that in mind, if Acura's flagship performance and technology is falling behind the lowly scion, you would have to think that those circumstances stack up for some kind of change....

nonetheless, its fun to speculate huh?

I can't help but think that there are some very amused engineers and product managers at acura reading this thread every day... and to them i say for making us crazy!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

The 07 TL is supposed to come out in mid 07 with a new design and powerplant.(Hopefully 300+ ponies) Just came from the dealership for an oil change and was talking to the salesmen about it.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Kinda funny...
The more I think about it...

"The 07 TL is supposed to come out in mid 07 with a new design and powerplant.(Hopefully 300+ ponies) Just came from the dealership for an oil change and was talking to the salesmen about it"

Is Acura just gonna rebadge the RL, and call it the TL type S?... Lovely...
Old 05-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Racer

Lightbulb Send Acura Your Feedback

Click the link below and choose the Concern and tell Acura about them holding their cards to close to the vest.

http://www.acura.com/help/help_feed_website.asp
Old 05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Race Director

^^ That is for website feedback lol
Old 05-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Racer

Scroll down to the box "PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR ISSUE AND INDICATE HOW
ACURA MAY PROVIDE ASSISTANCE".

If people are so upset about the lack info being provided, provide your feedback via their website. They will get the message.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by A_UFO
Scroll down to the box "PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR ISSUE AND INDICATE HOW
ACURA MAY PROVIDE ASSISTANCE".

If people are so upset about the lack info being provided, provide your feedback via their website. They will get the message.
Hate to tell you, but Acura isn't going to change their corporate strategy just because some people want them to show their hand earlier. Timing is everything in marketing, and releasing the goods too soon lets the competition get the jump on you.

Not only that, it cuts into the sales of the current model. Last but not least, it takes away some of the "anticipation factor" that marketing types like to stir up ... tell the public too much too soon and much of the "WOW" power is lost when the model actually debuts.

Infiniti took a sizeable chance unveiling their '07 G35. The initial excitement is over, and it's months 'til the actual introduction. But you'll notice they haven't leaked a single picture or piece of data since then. Theirs was a teaser, and it could backfire ...
Old 05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Raheel
Honda/Acura is tight about there new releases, the 2004 TL was kept under a vault till the last month or two.
Options for advance notice of forward model changes:

1. Buddy up with one of the DREs (design release engineer) at the Honda tech center.

2. Buddy up with one of the Tier 1 suppliers to Honda for this platform. They will know as they supply the parts.

3. Buddy up with someone at the Marysville, Ohio plant. We (auto industry) always run pilot builds prior to SOP (start of production). The OEM production facility (Marysville in this case) will see small batches of pilot builds at least 6-8 months before the start of production.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

The '07 TL will probably be a modest upgrade and not include very many of the new features people are asking for in this forum.

People will cry and whine, but you know, the redesigned model will probably blow the doors off of the G35, and then all of the G35 fans will be whining - just the nature of the business.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Only if you wish to amuse yourself.

Seriously, I think Infiniti is way out in front in this area if they're coming out with an embedded hard disk that's integrated with their disc player. Who doesn't get sick and tired of having a box full of CDs rattling around in the car? Great idea, especially if the player has decoders for most of the popular file formats.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
darn, when is this 07 TL coming out..been a while now.

Hope is doesnt have a back up camera..like the RDX will have with navi. If it does i will feel left out.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Instructor

Only if you wish to amuse yourself.

Seriously, I think Infiniti is way out in front in this area if they're coming out with an embedded hard disk that's integrated with their disc player. Who doesn't get sick and tired of having a box full of CDs rattling around in the car? Great idea, especially if the player has decoders for most of the popular file formats.
I agree. The G35 is looking like a better car period. No matter if the '07 TL gets the remote start, mp3, aux input, and minor light changes. Acura really has to improve the drivetrain and tranny to compete with the G35 and ES350 this time around. As you see both these models have most of these bells and whistle standard, plus more...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy Slight of Computer

Originally Posted by suntrader
Well, Planet Acura gave a quote about $60 over invoice for 06 TL with navi. but promised more if I showed up in person, and when I arrived at the dealership, they lowered it to $200 below invoice and threw in a free cargo mat.
Suntrader:

First, welcome to Acurazine and this forum.

Second, as I have stated many times before in this thread and others, the term "invoice" is nebulous. That's why I am talking about actual dollars on the bottom line.

The dealer can print up any kind of "invoice" you want to see to feel better.

He can also sell you a car for $200 below "invoice", then add $400 for advertising, $599 for "Dealer Fees" and some other BS fees like "document fees" and "dealer preparation" and a "protection package" and you're right back up there where you started.

Dealers are the illegitimate off-spring of snakes and wizzards, imo. :wink:
Old 06-01-2006, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear

Kudos on mentioning the HUD (Heads up display) I have it on my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix and absolutely love it and as I have been looking for a new car the dealers all look at me like I have a 3rd eye in the middle of my forehead when I ask if it will be an option. SO I just quit mentioning it. It is an awesome feature.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Advanced

1. They went to the trouble of implementing a 5.1 audio system, but the ONLY source signal it does 5.1 is DVD-Audio. Let's see a show of hands how many TL owners have an entire collection of DVD-audio discs of their favorite music? That's what I thought. It blows my mind that they went to the expense of installing speakers and PAs to support 5.1 ofor an audio format that is almost non-existent , but then FAILED to include even a CHEAP Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 decoder that derives a 5.1 signal from a stereo CD (or stereo FM). Even the cheapest 5.1 Audio-Video Receivers availble for home use have this decoder - so why not give people the benefit of hearing 5.1 sound on ALL their discs???? DUH! I feature.
Almost accurate. The stereo does play DTS encoded CDs. I play them in my stereo all the time. They show up with a little "DTS" similar to how the DVD-Audio's show up with a "DVD" Now the fact that the stereo doesn't decode CD-Text or RDS is absolutely idiotic. And agreed, if they went to the trouble to get it to play DVD-Audio, why not let it do DVD-Video and just play the audio. It has the 5.1 decoder in there already....
Old 06-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Instructor

I sure wish there was a way to tweak the stereo to play the audio off dvd-v. There's gotta be some way to get around that.

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1