Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Have you adopted another team this year and for the next few? Boston? San Fran?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Now i'm curious, what's everyone's opinion on head-shots? Has it got that much worse? Seems like a typical year to me.
Well, maybe the Toronto media has blown it out of proportion.

Stats say concussions are up. But compared to what? They only started keeping these stats the last few years. I don't think we've seen any hard evidence to say they're up. People point to the more free flowing and faster game and the harder shoulder and elbow pads as the cause for more and harder collisions. Also have to factor in more awareness for concussions. Guys were likely being concussed 25 years ago but played through it because it wasn't diagnosed.

I just look at the what the greatest league in the world, the NFL has done and feel the NHL should simply follow suit. They didn't like head shots, so they started fining guys into submission. Its the archaic NHL culture that doesn't like change. Anyone with half a brain can see what a head shot is. And what exactly is the harm in being a tad too extreme with penalties and suspensions when it comes to head shots? Players have to suffer a few games in order to possibly save a career? Well worth it IMO.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

No. I'll suffer til the end.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Perhaps people are just tired of him being attacked by the canadian media every single day.
We hear this shit every day, 24/7 coming from canada.
because they have a tendency to make shit up.
As badly as I assumed/exaggerated on the previous page I think you just topped it.

Also, Dom assumed that crosby never said anything about headshots, and Jonesi and I pointed out that he has spoken before. Plus, like Jonesi pointed out, he answered questions about being hit, and hasn't said shit since, so I guess he did stfu about it and move on
He said something yes, but did he say enough? Again, not singling him out. Has anyone said enough? This is what bothers me so much about NHL players. We always hear about what a brotherhood they are and they're someone superior people to NBA/NFL/MLB athletes yet they pretty much have ZERO respect for each other once on the ice. Frankly they look like a bunch of morons as far as I can see.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
I'd say LA. He's trying to be more like Moog.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Well, maybe the Toronto media has blown it out of proportion.

I just look at the what the greatest league in the world, the NFL has done and feel the NHL should simply follow suit. They didn't like head shots, so they started fining guys into submission. Its the archaic NHL culture that doesn't like change. Anyone with half a brain can see what a head shot is. And what exactly is the harm in being a tad too extreme with penalties and suspensions when it comes to head shots? Players have to suffer a few games in order to possibly save a career? Well worth it IMO.

I actually agree with this. I think fining a player is a reasonable start to an issue like this. As long as there's consistency I don't think anyone would argue against it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
No. I'll suffer til the end.

Originally Posted by dom
As badly as I assumed/exaggerated on the previous page I think you just topped it.
I would have to agree a lil bit overboard.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

I actually agree with this. I think fining a player is a reasonable start to an issue like this. As long as there's consistency I don't think anyone would argue against it.
Consistency?

Wow, that's a concept.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I'd say LA. He's trying to be more like Moog.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Nabokov to Sign with Red Wings

Story here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350270
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

I was answering exaggeration with exaggeration

Originally Posted by dom
He said something yes, but did he say enough? Again, not singling him out. Has anyone said enough? This is what bothers me so much about NHL players. We always hear about what a brotherhood they are and they're someone superior people to NBA/NFL/MLB athletes yet they pretty much have ZERO respect for each other once on the ice. Frankly they look like a bunch of morons as far as I can see.
It seemed like you were singling him out, but I agree that no one has said enough. However, he's always going to feel a little stronger when it's his head versus someone elses, and I still don't feel he really said anything other than talking about the hits that were put on him. I agree that no one has said or done enough though, although I don't really see that much has changed for the better or worse

My issue is that there is no consistency

Consistency?

Wow, that's a concept.
Not in the NHL, it doesn't exist
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
And I'm used to to Pens fans getting butt hurt anytime something negative is said about their Pens or Steelers. They're a sensitive bunch.

Pens fans are jovial bunch from my experience when they invaded Hockeytown during the 2008 and 2009 cup finals.

Steeler fans however are dark and sinister plywithalcohollockyouinthebathroomhaveourwaywithyo u obnoxiously annoying.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Rangers back to normal, I expected they would not score after that outburst but did not think they would give up a slew of goals.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Jonesi, I don't know what forum you get that shit from, but they're awesome
Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

@ Tron

Finally got around to watching the 27/7 ep where the Pens play the Caps at the Verizon.

Couple things:
- Boudreau @ Hagen Daaz at 10AM. And then "I smell food" when going down the escalator. That man needs a sitcom.
- I think Blysma is one hell of a coach.
- I'm surprised at how much swearing NHL players do at refs during a game.
- @ Malkin living up to his scouting report.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Big weekend series up for the Hawks. First the Wingdings and then the Flyers on Sunday.

Let's hope for at least 3 out of 4 possible points for Da Hawks.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Apparently this is a goal in the NHL?!?!?!

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="&id=93755&server=http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://track2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="&id=93755&server=http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://track2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

....and the oganIzashun is in complete meltdown.....this BS "goal" is the straw that broke the camel's back....

On-ice officials immediately called it a good goal, and after a video review of more than five minutes, the crew in Toronto, led by Mike Murphy, the NHL's senior vice president of hockey operations, ruled that the goal would stand.

"When the guy in Toronto making the decisions on the goals, in Ottawa and the one tonight, wanted the G.M.'s job in L.A. and was not happy about not getting it, you have to assume you are going to get those type of calls,'' Lombardi said. "However, we have put ourselves in a position where these calls have a monumental effect on our season, and we're going to have to find a way out of it ourselves.''

Lombardi's reference to Ottawa was to the Kings' Nov. 22 game against the Senators in Ottawa, in which on-ice officials waved off Ryan Smyth's potential game-tying goal, with three seconds remaining in the third period, and the video-review crew in Toronto did not rule it a good goal.

Murphy, a former NHL winger, played nine seasons for the Kings in the 1970s and 80s, then served as an assistant coach and head coach for parts of two seasons in the late 80s. During the game, Murphy told Kings television analyst Jim Fox that there was no conclusive replay that would have overturned the goal. Murphy, according to Fox, said that the crew in Toronto never saw the puck conclusively hit Hanzel's stick and that all of the on-ice officials agreed on the goal call.

Murray also expressed his frustration after the game.

"I don't know why we have video replay in the National Hockey League,'' Murray said. "That's all I can say. If the replay is there for review of goals and non-goals… I don't know. You've got a guy who gets credit for the goal. He's 6-foot-6, and the stick is up above his head. Matt Greene is 6-3, and he's batting the puck down his his hand beside his ear, and the net is four feet high. It doesn't add up.

"It makes no sense. No sense. How does it get called on the ice a goal, first of all, and then how does the replay hold it up? I don't know. I don't have an answer.''

Murray was asked if he got an explanation from the on-ice officials.

``They don't come near you,'' Murray said.
Wow....just WOW!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Wow indeed. And the dinosaurs at all levels of the NHL fraternity would be shocked to hear anyone question Mike Murphy's integrity just like they wouldn't allow anyone to question Colin Campbells a few weeks back. Its an old boys club that doesn't want to let anyone in.

And I'd have to think Lomabrdi basically just declared war with that comment.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

methinks Lombardi may get "fined" for his comments.

The Kings are a mess....I think something is gonna go down during the All Star break.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Like I said, they should not fall in love with all their prospects. Trade one of the "chippers" for some scoring help.

They get shutout yesterday?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Problem is the people in the replay room and officials all have or have had a relationship at some point during their hockey careers. Why do ex GM and players have to be the one's making the calls? It should be people with no prior connection to anyone. You don't need experience in hockey to see that wasn't a goal.

I realize none of this is realistic, oh well.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^ Like I said, they should not fall in love with all their prospects. Trade one of the "chippers" for some scoring help.

They get shutout yesterday?
It's more than just "scoring" issues.

They were 0-6 on the PP....the PP this year has been pathetic...even when they were dominating the league early on.

I think they have tuned out the coaches.
....and the constant line juggling is horrible....there is zero line chemistry because you play with new line-mates every game
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Problem is the people in the replay room and officials all have or have had a relationship at some point during their hockey careers. Why do ex GM and players have to be the one's making the calls? It should be people with no prior connection to anyone. You don't need experience in hockey to see that wasn't a goal.

I realize none of this is realistic, oh well.
True.

...but why is it that the Ref only gets headphones for replay?!?!?
Why not show the ref the vid feed as well. If the refs last night saw that replay during the game....instead of listening to Murphy's opinion in Toronto, the refs would have clearly changed their on-ice goal call to no goal.

Instead we get it's inconclusive, so the on-ice call stands?!?!?

Why not morse code Toronto from the game and wait for the telegram response from Toronto.

Seriously....is this 1935?!?!?!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
It's more than just "scoring" issues.

They were 0-6 on the PP....the PP this year has been pathetic...even when they were dominating the league early on.

I think they have tuned out the coaches.
....and the constant line juggling is horrible....there is zero line chemistry because you play with new line-mates every game
A few thoughts on this:

Teams can be Jekyll and Hyde on the PP and PK. I can relate...Chicago is horrid on the penalty kill. But, were fantastic last year...but, not so great on the PP. So, flipflop, this year...despite roughly the same personnel. And we're subtracting Big Buff from the picture and yet, the PP is better...?

Right?

But, that doesn't mean they are tuning out the coach. Sometimes, if you're pressing, you're pressing on an aspect of the game.

Line juggling is nothing new. If you look at teams like Detroit, Chicago, and there are other examples, there are those coaches who will change lines up just to kickstart something. And in those cases, they aren't all that unsuccessful...Heck, look at the Stanley Cup Finals...some could say the pivotal change was when Coach Q changed up the lines. But, there are tons of other examples of games where line changes were done where a team went on a run...

I'm not saying you're wrong but you just sound ALOT like the local hockey fans I listen to all the time on radio here. I just think it is more than just those two aspects...changing lines and a struggling special team is nothing new in the NHL and should not be attributed to the coach per se. It is up the players to execute.

NOW, in regards to them tuning out Terry...? That may be something...I just don't quite buy the other two things.

Last edited by Yumcha; 01-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

A few thoughts on this:

Teams can be Jekyll and Hyde on the PP and PK. I can relate...Chicago is horrid on the penalty kill. But, were fantastic last year...but, not so great on the PP. So, flipflop, this year...despite roughly the same personnel. And we're subtracting Big Buff from the picture and yet, the PP is better...?

Right?

But, that doesn't mean they are tuning out the coach. Sometimes, if you're pressing, you're pressing on an aspect of the game.

Line juggling is nothing new. If you look at teams like Detroit, Chicago, and there are other examples, there are those coaches who will change lines up just to kickstart something. And in those cases, they aren't all that unsuccessful...Heck, look at the Stanley Cup Finals...some could say the pivotal change was when Coach Q changed up the lines. But, there are tons of other examples of games where line changes were done where a team went on a run...

I'm not saying you're wrong but you just sound ALOT like the local hockey fans I listen to all the time on radio here. I just think it is more than just those two aspects...changing lines and a struggling special team is nothing new in the NHL and should not be attributed to the coach per se. It is up the players to execute.

NOW, in regards to them tuning out Terry...? That may be something...I just don't quite buy the other two things.
I disagree.

Assistant Coach Jamie Kompon in the years he has been in L.A. has done absolutely nothing for the Kings PP. It's not the players it's the system.

When Dave Tippett was assistant coach, our PP was phenomenal, and the
talent on the ice was less than it is today.

I'm not talking about minor line tweaking. Murray changes line-mates almost every game....and big changes too. Whether winning or losing. He is always toying with lines and defensive pairings. It's a mess.
....and just when a line is getting some sort of chemistry, he goes and changes it. The Kings have not had a single consistent line the entire season.
Other than Kopitar on the first line, EVERYONE has pretty much played on all the lines 1-4. 4th liners on the 1st line, first liners on the fourth line.......right wingers moved to left wing.....when clearly in the game they are awkward on their "off wing".....etc. And when a coach changes that many things....that often....you know he is clearly out of options, and is at the end of his rope.

When a team goes 2-12 there are serious issues.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Well, from a casual observer catching the odd game or two, I just think the Kings can't score. And again, different teams...but, I've seen teams go from super good on PP to lousy and vice versa with the PK. I just would not put it all on the coaching...but, won't really challenge you since you're the avid follower of the Kings. Same goes for line-juggling. Coach Q is notorious for changing his lines in-game and in between games...Same goes for Babcock...and usually, it's not that bad. Players need to know and be willing to follow the system.

Again, just observation...but, perhaps different with the Kings. Different situation.

All the eggs are in the basket for Kopitar. Brown is miscast as a 2nd-liner/1st-liner. He's a 3rd line guy if you ask me. The opportunity was there to bring in some scoring help and your team passed. Obviously...it's easy to play Monday-Morning QB here, but we all knew from last year the Kings needed scoring help badly.

Poni is not the solution. I mean, Wolski was had for a so-so D-man from the Rangers...you think LA could not have at least given something better (who knows if he's a fix, just an example). I think Deano's too in love with his prospects and now that the team is in a tailspin, the sharks are circling and he's no longer got the buying power (at least not as high).
Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

12th in the conf, 5 points behind 8th with 4 teams in the way. I honestly don't like their chances to make the playoffs. Which after last year would be a HUGE letdown and step back for that franchise.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^ Well, from a casual observer catching the odd game or two, I just think the Kings can't score. And again, different teams...but, I've seen teams go from super good on PP to lousy and vice versa with the PK. I just would not put it all on the coaching...but, won't really challenge you since you're the avid follower of the Kings. Same goes for line-juggling. Coach Q is notorious for changing his lines in-game and in between games...Same goes for Babcock...and usually, it's not that bad. Players need to know and be willing to follow the system.

Again, just observation...but, perhaps different with the Kings. Different situation.

All the eggs are in the basket for Kopitar. Brown is miscast as a 2nd-liner/1st-liner. He's a 3rd line guy if you ask me. The opportunity was there to bring in some scoring help and your team passed. Obviously...it's easy to play Monday-Morning QB here, but we all knew from last year the Kings needed scoring help badly.

Poni is not the solution. I mean, Wolski was had for a so-so D-man from the Rangers...you think LA could not have at least given something better (who knows if he's a fix, just an example). I think Deano's too in love with his prospects and now that the team is in a tailspin, the sharks are circling and he's no longer got the buying power (at least not as high).
In general what you are saying is true...about most teams and most situations, and I don't disagree....however in the case of the Kings it's far beyond that.

It's not typical line juggling, it's not typical PP slump or PK slump.
It's a mess across the board.

Dustin Brown is not a first liner and maybe not a 2nd liner...that I agree....and he certainly is NOT captain material. Great hitter that's for sure...average scorer. He should have never been made captain. I never thought he should have been captain from day one.
Changing captains could do a lot with how this team performs IMHO.

I think Deano has good reason to love his prospects...because a lot of them are that good. However, I think Deano got his @ss handed handed to him...he got schooled in the free agency market this summer with Kovi. It is good that we did not land him, however Kovi screwed Deano over in that he wasted a huge amount of time on him, and never had a plan B. When Kovi signed with NJ....there was nobody left to pick up. He is now trying to save face....but at what cost?

Is the Kings young core completely established? Perhaps. Deano seems to think not quite yet. Perhaps Deano does not know how to get beyond a fantastic build from within re-build, and make that next step to acquiring big talent. I dunno.

Clearly Poni is not the answer. Nobody, including myself think he is.
Keep in mind, I just quoted a stat of wins and losses with him in the lineup.
Is it coincidence? Who knows.....but Poni has been riding the pine lately.
Froloaf was a waste...and now he is out (knee) for the season with the Rangers...Poni was no better, no worse. He was all Deano could grab at the time.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
12th in the conf, 5 points behind 8th with 4 teams in the way. I honestly don't like their chances to make the playoffs. Which after last year would be a HUGE letdown and step back for that franchise.
Too many teams are now falling into the gap between the Kings and the 8th spot. That makes it tough.....add to that....the Western Conference is tough.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't know. I think Captain in the NHL is the most overrated thing in all of sports.

The good news is that Kings jersey in the vid you posted is damn sharp. At least they look good.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I don't know. I think Captain in the NHL is the most overrated thing in all of sports.
why??

It's more useless to have a MLB captain.

And did nabby clear waivers yet? Isles should sign him.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rounder
why??

It's more useless to have a MLB captain.
Forgot MLB teams even had captains, but yes, probably even more useless. Although I don't think every MLB team has a captain.

I just don't see captains being able to do much. Especially considering who most teams tend to make captain. Their biggest star and usually a younger player. Not to pick on Ovie buy outside of his on ice play, can you ever see him inspiring his teammates with words?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom

The good news is that Kings jersey in the vid you posted is damn sharp. At least they look good.
Sometimes you need the Cap to rally the troops.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sometimes you need the Cap to rally the troops.
No denying that. I just have my doubts about some of today's captains being able to do that. Someone has to do it, just doesn't always have to be the captain.

Not saying a captain has to be teh rah-rah guy. There are other ways to lead. I just wouldn't expect a Kings turnaround by stripping Brown of the C.

Of course if they made Doughty captain in the first place we wouldn't be talking about the struggling Kings.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

Depends on the team. Some teams have what I would say, "a useless Captain"...

Some come to mind: Vancouver, Edmonton, San Jose...But, you have other teams who really rally and follow the lead of their leader. Some examples I have: Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago...

So, depends on the team. In regards to the Kings, I don't know enough about Brown's leadership qualities to comment on whether he should be adorning the C. But, personally...in time, I'd give it to Doughty or Johnson. Maybe? Or heck, Smyth.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

methinks Lombardi may get "fined" for his comments.

The Kings are a mess....I think something is gonna go down during the All Star break.
Well looky here!!!

NHL TO INVESTIGATE LOMBARDI COMMENTS CRITICIZING LEAGUE
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350421
Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Go Redwings
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The count just made dinner reservations.....on Deano's dime.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Collecting the coin is better than resolving the problem.

The league can do no wrong....instant replay is flawless!

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread