View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Only thing that'll save Honda/Acura if the started to bring back the Motorsport spirit. Since they have that big 3.5 V6. Why not make one with steriods and bring a performance version?

Styling, and value wise that are being left behind.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Supposedly this new CVT design eliminates many of the disadvantages (such as lag) and gives it much better feel.
Yes, at least according to Jeff at TOV:

....I drove a prototype Accord model that was coupled to a new "earth dreams" direct-injection DOHC i-VTEC 2.4L 4-cylinder engine and was impressed not only by the engine's strong and broad torque curve, but by the responsive and direct feel of the new CVT design. I generally despise the lethargic and "laggy" feel of CVTs, but this new "Earth Dreams" CVT exhibited none of these annoying traits.
Something called g-shift design. Of course, please don't misconstrue this as me saying the CVT is gonna be great...I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Looks really good. Lets just hope the sedan doesn't somehow get stuck with bug eyed headlights like the current version.
If they could make this Accord Concept look like the cars on video bellow...this could be very promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRCagQWsklg&feature=channel_video_title
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
pretty sure those coupes are all from my8thgen and i'm pretty sure the blue one is bpearl who also comes to this forum...he stanced the shit out of his car.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Something called g-shift design. Of course, please don't misconstrue this as me saying the CVT is gonna be great...I'll believe it when I see it.
My sentiment exactly! My only wish is that they're 'no worse' than any current AT in feel. Since they are likely the future for small engines (at least with Honda/Acura), I would love to see a button that would 'lock' it to a stepped 7 speed mode so it would mimic a 'regular' AT. This way, the driver could choose to use it in 'appliance mode' or sacrifice a few MPG for an engine that revs through the RPM range.
The following users liked this post:
CarbonGray Earl (01-28-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,456 Likes on 4,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
My sentiment exactly! My only wish is that they're 'no worse' than any current AT in feel. Since they are likely the future for small engines (at least with Honda/Acura), I would love to see a button that would 'lock' it to a stepped 7 speed mode so it would mimic a 'regular' AT. This way, the driver could choose to use it in 'appliance mode' or sacrifice a few MPG for an engine that revs through the RPM range.

Well put.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Interesting post from member Neal at TOV

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...age_id=1030662

It appears the coupes are the exact same car with revised sheet metal. Not a bad thing necessarily but some laziness on Honda's part for sure.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
LOL we've been saying it's the same car all along
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Interesting post from member Neal at TOV

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...age_id=1030662

It appears the coupes are the exact same car with revised sheet metal. A great thing if you are a bean counter for Honda, but some laziness on Honda's part for sure.
Fixed. To clarify the truth.

Nothing like buying a brand new car that is already 5 years old.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ i think Honda's banking on those chrome bits to impress buyers enough they won't see the obvious
Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
^ i think Honda's banking on those chrome bits to impress buyers enough they won't see the obvious
Then they need to add more chrome bits so they completely BLIND potential buyers.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Former 6 speed crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not feeling the new coupe.

Nice video and coupes... Did he really use the brush on the car at the car wash... amiright?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by ttribe
Then they need to add more chrome bits so they completely BLIND potential buyers.
Well, at least we can give credit to Honda for marketing vehicles to the disabled.

The blind are gonna think it's an all new Accord for 2013!!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
LOL we've been saying it's the same car all along
They looked similar yes but I figured it was at least on the new platform. Looks like its all carryover. They did specifically mention that the sedan would be smaller and lighter so I'm guessing it got the new platform and the coupe essentially carries over.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
They looked similar yes but I figured it was at least on the new platform. Looks like its all carryover. They did specifically mention that the sedan would be smaller and lighter so I'm guessing it got the new platform and the coupe essentially carries over.
What are the chances they "cheapened" the suspension design to save weight, cost and complexity?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
My dad has an '08 coupe and it still looks as good as when it came out. Honda just fixed what it screwed up in the refresh and fixed the lights.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
well next Euro Accord will be lunched two years later than USDM Accord. This means that Euro will be smaller and lighter with Estate version.
I would not be surpized if next Euro Accord is designed without taking into consideration V6 engine just like Sonata/Optima.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorsh..._revealed.html

Honda has offered the clearest view yet of its all new Accord, due for launch in the UK in 2014.

Although this coupe concept is officially a US-only product, Auto Express has learned that the design will heavily influence the look of the next UK model, which will be available as a saloon and Tourer estate.

According to one insider, the key details that are expected to be carried over include the headlamp and grille arrangement, and the distinctive slashes that run the length of the car's flanks. The swooping roofline and slightly flared wheelarches are also expected to feature.

Few details about the car's engine range are available, but Honda has confirmed that the line-up will include the new 1.6-litre diesel, set to make its debut in the new CR-V later this year. The 1.6-litre four cylinder, like the CR-V will be built in the UK and offer 118bhp and around 200Nm of torque.

In the US, the new Accord will go on sale later this year, initially in saloon and coupe bodystyles. The car will offer a three strong engine range, including a new 2.4-litre four cylinder petrol unit, and an innovative new plug-in hybrid version that uses an as-yet undefined engine.

A Honda spokesman said that this plug-in hybrid is not yet confirmed for the UK, where all focus is on a plug-in version of the Honda Jazz. However, because both the US and UK versions of the Honda Accord will share some basic components, it remains an option for the firm.

Like rivals, the Accord plug-in hybrid will offer three driving modes: pure EV - with a range of around 12 miles - a petrol-electric hybrid mode, and a performance mode. The driver will be able to control which mode is deployed using buttons mounted on the dashboard.

Also new to the US Accord is a rear view reversing camera, and an innovative video blind spot display, which streams images from the car's blind spots directly into the cabin through small cameras mounted in the wing mirrors.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorsh...#ixzz1jblPEAa0
Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Hight price and relative low fuel economy with 6MT not many can afford Type S diesel.

http://www.offalyexpress.ie/lifestyl...iant_1_3431138

New Honda Accord Diesel is simply brilliant

Published on Wednesday 18 January 2012 13:08

IN an era where diesel engines are becoming ever more popular in the luxury segment Honda now have one of the best available.

Honda launched the new Accord range for Ireland last April, however the car I am testing this week, the Accord Type-S diesel is a new addition to that model line-up.

The current Honda Accord range consists of three versions, the ES, The Type-S and the Executive all powered by a 2.2 litre turbo diesel engine with power outputs varying from 150 PS to the higher power 180 PS Type-S diesel. Petrol engine options are available only by special order.

The Accord Type-S will appeal to those who want a more sporting element to their driving experience. Now I was always impressed by the Honda Accord, it is an excellent car, but this new Accord Type-S really left me asking myself why would you buy anything else in this class, it really is that good!

First Impressions

They say first impressions last, and I tend to agree in most cases at least. So when I first caught sight of the new Accord Type-S my first impression was of a rather stylish sleek purposeful looking car, with sporty overtones.

The Type-S benefits from lovely 18 inch alloys and a factory aero kit which adds aerodynamically refined front and rear bumpers to distinguish it from its stablemates.

Overall then the new Accord Type-S diesel is in my opinion one of the best looking saloons in its class.

Behind The wheel

Slip inside the cabin of the new Accord Type-S and one cannot fail to notice that this is indeed a quality car. The doors shut with a reassuring clunk. The materials used all feel and look very good. All the switches and buttons operate with a well engineered precision. Indeed there is an almost teutonic quality about the car. It seems to have lost that Japanese feel and that is a good thing. There is a very good driving position and even with the driver’s seat well back on its rails there is ample legroom in the rear.

Everything about the cabin feels just right. Standard equipment is very comprehensive and apart from the usual items we expect such as electric windows and so forth the new Accord Type-S boasts cruise control, auto lights and wipers, cornering lights, heated electric seats, advanced dual zone climate control which is linked to the standard satellite navigation system to detect the position of the sun and maintain cabin temperature accordingly, full leather trim, front and rear park assist, Bluetooth with voice recognition, a rear parking camera, electric boot release, an in-dash 6 CD changer, which by the way is linked to one of the best sound systems I have experienced in some time, USB/ipod Aux ports, Bi zenon headlights to name but a few. Safety equipment as you would expect is equally comprehensive, with a host of airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP and so on. This new Accord Type-S lacks for nothing really!

Performance

The new Accord Type-S diesel is powered by a 180 PS iDTEC turbo diesel engine which proved a most impressive power unit.

Mated to a lovely close ratio 6-speed manual gearbox the combination is just about perfect. Acceleration from a standstill is very good but even more impressive is the mid range torque which results in real “shove in the back” acceleration, perfect for overtaking safely and easily. For the record Honda claim a 0 to 100km/h time of 8.8 seconds and an impressive top speed of 220km/h.

With emissions of 147g/km the new Accord iDTEC falls into tax band C. Over my week behind the wheel it proved frugal too burning on average just 7.2 litres of diesel per 100km, giving this Accord a range of almost 700km between refuels.

Road Behaviour

Very few manufacturers manage to get that illusive combination between taut handling and smooth ride, usually one is good and the other suffers, but Honda have succeeded here where others have failed. Noise levels are commendably low and overall the car has very high levels of refinement.

I really enjoyed every kilometre behind the wheel. This car is a joy to drive, proving responsive, agile, nimble and surefooted under all conditions. The real hidden asset though is just how well it does everything with superb driver feedback. This Accord iDTEC is a true driver’s car yet manages to reward its passengers with equal aplomb.

Verdict

Entry to the new Accord range begins with the Accord ES iDTEC costing €31,465. The new Honda Accord iDTEC Type-S as tested here costs €40,220.

I test many new cars over the course of a year and to be fair there are only a handful that I would really desire, the Accord Type-S though is such a car. It is fabulous to drive, better equipped than its rivals, frugal, yet fast and can accommodate the needs of a family or business user with ease. In short it is one of the most complete cars around.

I highly recommend you test drive one, but beware you too may become hooked!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
^ that's all fine but it belongs in the TSX thread.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Honda's barely catching up to the others (i.e. Hyundai, Kia) engine- and transmission-wise, but they've been left behind again by Ford's Fusion.

I hate to say it, but Ford's got the lead on this segment now.

I'm afraid Honda's going to continue to lose sales to Hyundai, Kia, Ford, and Nissan.

Sorry, Honda, but this is not a strong showing...
You're joking right? Your opinion and understanding of Honda technology is FAR behind. The automotive press/ Reuters is as well.
Honda is far beyond combustion engine technology. The remedial technology that DIRECT INJECTION is has simply prolonged the demise of the combustion engine with the false sense of security that better MPG and horsepower are realized at the cost of durability and longevity.

Honda's DI technology existed since 2003 Stream and has been perfected. Honda, unlike any other brand, has internal test requirements and durability standards of 10-15 years. Add 10years to 2003 and you get now. As with their new CVT, which will be a game changer. That's why Fords and Hyundais start falling apart at 3-5 years, where as Honda's drive solidly until 8-10 years.

Honda's future plans of all EV and nanotech research, as well as heat capturing hybrid systems are all well under R&D. Honda never had breakthrough designs save for a few model designs like the EG6, NSX, or S2000. Future technology and engineering is always the bread and butter of Honda.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by mikiTL
You're joking right? Your opinion and understanding of Honda technology is FAR behind. The automotive press/ Reuters is as well.
Honda is far beyond combustion engine technology. The remedial technology that DIRECT INJECTION is has simply prolonged the demise of the combustion engine with the false sense of security that better MPG and horsepower are realized at the cost of durability and longevity.

Honda's DI technology existed since 2003 Stream and has been perfected. Honda, unlike any other brand, has internal test requirements and durability standards of 10-15 years. Add 10years to 2003 and you get now. As with their new CVT, which will be a game changer. That's why Fords and Hyundais start falling apart at 3-5 years, where as Honda's drive solidly until 8-10 years.

Honda's future plans of all EV and nanotech research, as well as heat capturing hybrid systems are all well under R&D. Honda never had breakthrough designs save for a few model designs like the EG6, NSX, or S2000. Future technology and engineering is always the bread and butter of Honda.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
I never cared for DI, power gains are minimal plus there is the huge issue of carbon buildup.. but I would like to see 2.0T in some of their smaller cars and dual clutch transmissions in the Acuras
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
Agreed. How about some new designs Honda? I get that it worked last time around but that doesn't mean something else wont work either... This isn't a 911...

Yes it looks good but i was hoping they would have something more radical up their sleeves in response to their sales dearth; i guess not
The 3 series isn't a 911 either but they never change drastically. I don't hear a lot of people pissing and moaning about them.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by legend74
The 3 series isn't a 911 either but they never change drastically. I don't hear a lot of people pissing and moaning about them.
Can't speak for others, but I don't expect a completely new design with each new gen BMW 3 series (or 5 series or 7 series) because they've pretty much always done minor changes. History has shown this.

That's not the case with the Accord. Look back at their history. Each new gen has had a completely new design, thus my expectation (and I'd guess for many others too) was that the 9th gen would get a new design. Sadly, that was not the case.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 844 Likes on 526 Posts
Can't speak for others, but I don't expect a completely new design with each new gen BMW 3 series (or 5 series or 7 series) because they've pretty much always done minor changes. History has shown this.

That's not the case with the Accord. Look back at their history. Each new gen has had a completely new design, thus my expectation (and I'd guess for many others too) was that the 9th gen would get a new design. Sadly, that was not the case.
May be they are trying to change that now? Quite a few car manufacturers are gradually doing the same thing. Examples are the Altima, Mazda6, Corolla, Camry, Fit, Matrix, Civic, etc. And within the same manufacturer, the cars are quite similar looking (i.e. VW Passat & Jetta, Toyota Corolla & Camry, etc).
Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Nothing personal but just because it's what "you" expect doesn't make it wrong. The coupe in it's current form is a good looking car...why mess with it too much on the outside? The drive-train, tech and interior always needs upgraded. I just hope they put a little more thought into how the sedan looks compared to now.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Nothing personal but just because it's what "you" expect doesn't make it wrong. The coupe in it's current form is a good looking car...why mess with it too much on the outside? The drive-train, tech and interior always needs upgraded. I just hope they put a little more thought into how the sedan looks compared to now.
His point was that Honda created this expectation.
The following users liked this post:
AZuser (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Just like the CVT in the Subaru.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by charliemike

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

@ Peeps trying to compare Honda's obvious accountant issued "evolution" design to a 911 or 3 series.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM
_

It's not just that I expected something new. A lot of other people expected something new too.

If mild changes with each new gen is the new direction, then so be it. It just looks a bit stale compared to competition.

I'm kinda looking forward to new engines and transmissions though.

Originally Posted by ttribe
His point was that Honda created this expectation.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ This is how the majority feel.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just to comment on the pictures of the concept: I have a feeling the coupe will lack any bit of aggressiveness those pictures contain. The Led around the fogs, the rear bumper, the front bumper for that matter will probably all lack that mesh.

I don't think it's bad looking, but I think it makes the decision easier for customers to just buy CPO instead of new.. not enough changes. Plus, I am not really feeling the sonata turbo wheels on the accord.

I just hope they improved the interior of the Accord. I was at first impressed with the current gen's interior, but my gf has an EX sedan with cloth. The seats are very uncomfortable, the radio is of extremely poor quality, and the dash layout is fit for herman munster. By no means is it a bad car, and I do like it, but leaving it unchanged would encourage me to look elsewhere when it's time to buy again.

Long story short, the accord did not age well. For that matter, neither did my altima. I am also extremely disappointed in that car. I sound like such a hater right now .
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor

It's not just that I expected something new. A lot of other people expected something new too.

If mild changes with each new gen is the new direction, then so be it. It just looks a bit stale compared to competition.

I'm kinda looking forward to new engines and transmissions though.
And what car in it's class makes the coupe look stale ? Certainly not a solara or altima.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
_

^ IMO... Kia Optima, new Ford Fusion, 2013 Chevy Malibu

Last edited by AZuser; 01-30-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
^ IMO... Kia Optima, new Ford Fusion, 2013 Chevy Malibu
I coulda sworn Legend 74 said, 'coupe'
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Let me help you out on that one (see below, emphasis mine):
And what car in it's class makes the coupe look stale ? Certainly not a solara or altima.
One could argue that "it's class" includes sedans or doesn't. That hasn't been clearly defined in the discussion, it seems.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
_

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Not too many new/redesigned coupes coming out in the same price point as the Accord but the new Hyundai Genesis coupe and Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z come to mind. I'd also throw the 370Z in even though it's $2-3K more than the top of the line Accord coupe.

Last edited by AZuser; 01-31-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 PM
_

No V6 6MT sedan like Honda said there would be... unless it's coming for the MMC

Wonder how the Sport and Touring models will differ from EX and EX-L trims

Honda: Accord News-me8da.gif
Old 05-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My guess:

Sport is an appearance/value package with a different name

Touring: Navi standard, upgraded sound system, more sound deadening.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News