Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 12:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
The thing is, MT and C&D will usually have times that are more optimistic based on the correction factors, rollout, etc, yet in this case both of them had times they were considerably slower. This isn’t some rando youtuber looking at the speedo; this is the two largest preeminent automotive outlets.
Yea, that's why I tend to prefer 5-60mph since 0-60mph times from these mags are hard to repeat consistently on the street for the average Joe.

Anyways, it turns out that Acura claims the 0-60mph for the TLX to be 6.5s, so that's probably why the 6.5s time gets mentioned that often.

FWIW, Honda claimed the CTR can do 0-60mph in 5.8s. The fastest was by C/D that did it in 4.9s.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea, that's why I tend to prefer 5-60mph since 0-60mph times from these mags are hard to repeat consistently on the street for the average Joe.

Anyways, it turns out that Acura claims the 0-60mph for the TLX to be 6.5s, so that's probably why the 6.5s time gets mentioned that often.

FWIW, Honda claimed the CTR can do 0-60mph in 5.8s. The fastest was by C/D that did it in 4.9s.
I was referring to how AoA said he did 0-60 in 5.7s for the RDX, while C&D and MT reported 6.6s and 6.4s, respectively. Nothing against Alex, but I trust the veracity of C&D and MT more, given their access to equipment, facilities, and decades of know-how. Unless he got a factory freak, Alex was way way off on that one, which makes you wonder if his current 5.7s time for the TLX isn't also off. I can't help but wonder if his stretch of road has a slight decline, because his 60-0 braking distance was also surprisingly long.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-26-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Night

The following users liked this post:
StealthTL-S (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow MotorAuthorit

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...nd-and-emotion

2021 Acura TLC Brims with Sound & Emotion

Driving the 2021 Acura TLX on the pencil-straight streets of the Detroit suburb of Novi, Michigan, I long for the world to return to normal. This regional media drive is relegated to suburbia, but as Acura’s photography suggests, the drive would likely take place on California canyon roads if the coronavirus didn’t exist. There, the TLX could shine thanks to a rigid new structure, a new turbo-4 engine, and an upgraded suspension with available adjustable dampers.

Instead of putting the redesigned TLX’s dynamic character to the test, though, I’m learning what it’s like to drive on a morning commute, which is the way most owners will drive it anyway.

Acura is aiming for performance, excitement, and emotion in its redesigned mid-size sport sedan. It’s hard for me to test the performance, but some of that excitement and emotion is expressed through the car’s sound, which I notice immediately when accelerating into traffic.

A new 2.0-liter turbo-4 is responsible for that sound. It’s an engine that rights one of the wrongs of the last car. It replaces both the pedestrian 206-horsepower 2.4-liter base inline-4 and the 290-hp 3.5-liter V-6.

The turbo-4’s tune is mostly relegated to the background in Comfort mode, but Acura starts to enhance the engine’s lower intake and exhaust sounds through the speakers in Normal mode and makes the sound almost intrusive during acceleration in Sport mode. It sounds good for a 4-cylinder, without the droning fours can create, but it could be too much for some drivers.

An Individual mode lets drivers choose different settings for the engine, steering, suspension (Advanced model only), interior lighting, and automatic start/stop feature, but Acura doesn’t separate engine sound from throttle response, so drivers can’t have both a quick throttle and a quiet powertrain. Returning TLX owners may find that off-putting.

On the other hand, buyers who want more sport in their sport sedans might appreciate that sound and the power that goes with it. The 272-hp turbo-4 is torque rich, spinning out 280 pound-feet of torque as low as 1,600 rpm. Those numbers represent gains of 66 hp and 98 lb-ft of torque versus last year’s base engine and 13 lb-ft of torque versus the outgoing V-6.

While Acura isn’t quoting a 0-60 mph time, an Acura rep told me it’s about the same as the last car’s V-6, which would put it at about 5.7 seconds. The new car weighs almost 200 pounds more than the outgoing model, so the engine is doing more work to achieve that 0-60 mph time while also delivering slightly better fuel economy at 22 mpg city, 31 highway, and 25 combined with front-wheel drive compared to 20/31/24 for the V-6.

2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWDNot an upscale Honda Accord

The Acura TLX and the TL before it were closely related to the Honda Accord. They shared platforms and powertrains, and buyers were right to say the Acuras were little more than upscale Accords with sport sedan aspirations. That’s no indictment because the Accord has been one of the best mainstream cars on the market for decades, but the TLX now aims to be more than an upscale Accord.

The 2021 Acura TLX splits off from the Accord with its own, exclusive platform and a more sophisticated suspension design. The new body structure boasts 50% more torsional stiffness and it’s almost twice as stiff where the suspension meets the body. The front suspension switches from MacPherson struts to double wishbones, which Acura says provides greater tire contact patch, a lower ride height, and less body lean in turns. The rear suspension continues as an independent multi-link setup.

The weight moves around as well. Using aluminum front damper mounts and front fenders cuts almost 30 pounds from the nose, and moving the battery and its mounting hardware to the trunk moves 52 pounds from the front to the rear. This helps change the car’s front/rear weight bias from 60/40 to 57/43, which is still a bit too nose heavy. A new variable-ratio electric-assist power steering system delivers quicker steering response, NSX-derived electro-servo brakes provide a shorter, firmer pedal, and available adjustable dampers allow for variable handling and ride quality for the first time.

I can only find stolen moments on these suburban roads to test the TLX’s handling, but the car’s quicker steering is evident from the outset. The wheel feels light in my hands in all but the Sport mode, where it firms up nicely.

2021 Acura TLX ACE body strucureThe variable steering ratio helps the TLX drive smaller than its size, and the 255/40R19 Michelin Primacy tires provide good but not great grip because they’re all-seasons not stickier summer tires. The steering is 22% quicker in low- and mid-speed conditions, and the TLX responds dutifully to those commands. The steering is also 15% quicker at high speeds, which is just right to maintain a stable on-center feel and high-speed stability.

Body lean is minimal through the few roundabouts and sharp corners I can find, and the car recovers quickly to straighten out or head in another direction.

If these were California canyon roads, the TLX’s Super-Handling all-wheel-drive system could come into play. It can send up to 70 percent of the power to the rear axle and vector all of that torque to the outside rear wheel to help the car rotate more willingly. I’m sure those roads would reveal a playful car that carves sharply through corners but tends toward understeer when pushed hard due to its nose-heavy weight bias. With its front-drive platform and heavier nose, the TLX falls short of being a dynamic match for a rear-drive BMW 5-Series, which costs much more, or the 3-Series, which has less space and a similar price. It slots in as a rival for the Lexus ES F-Sport or VW Arteon, though with better looks and sharper moves, especially with all-wheel drive.

On these suburban roads, the standard dampers provide a firm but comfortable ride. The Advanced model’s adjustable dampers deliver a smooth and controlled ride in Comfort mode and become slightly stiffer than the base dampers’ setting in Sport mode without rattling my fillings. In no mode is the TLX’s ride as firm as the engine is loud during heavy acceleration.

2021 Acura TLX Advance SH-AWDFront driver with a rear-drive look

The changes in the suspension are reflected in the car’s profile. Compared to the 2020 model, the new TLX is 2.9 inches longer, a half inch lower, and 2.2 inches wider, and it rides a wheelbase that grows by 3.7 inches. The cabin is pushed back, and the dash-to-axle ratio grows by 7.8 inches, which imparts a sleeker, sportier, long-hood rear-drive look. Despite that extra length between the dash and front axle, the engine doesn’t move back to further help the front/rear weight bias. An Acura rep told me that’s to make room for the wider turbo V-6 that will go in the Type S model.

The new profile creates a sportier look that is enhanced by the details of the design. Highly influenced by the Acura Type S concept car the brand showed last year in Pebble Beach, the design flows rearward from the new Acura face with its five-pointed grille and slim headlights. Lines and creases create that flow without looking too busy. Wide shoulders at the wheels create a planted look and the long greenhouse resolves into a short deck that plays off the long hood to give the car sport sedan proportions. The 18- and 19-inch wheels and tires fill the wheel wells nicely, too, without being too big for best comfort. It’s a sporty, cohesive design that will be the car’s biggest draw.

2021 Acura TLX Advance SH-AWDInside, the TLX’s ambience ranges from serene to sporty, depending on the model and colors chosen. The look is especially racy in A-Spec model with its available red and black leather upholstery, aluminum trim, and standard flat-bottom steering wheel. That’s only enhanced by the NSX-inspired rotary knob mounted on the center stack to change drive modes. Opt for the tan upholstery and blonde wood trim and the cabin feels more luxurious and relaxing.

The cabin takes cues from the RDX crossover SUV as well. They include high-quality materials with available contrast stitching, comfortable and supportive front bucket seats, and Acura’s infotainment system with its 10.2-inch center screen controlled by a center console touchpad with absolute positioning technology. I’m not a fan of a system that requires such pin-point accuracy while driving, but it becomes easier as I realize I’m not pushing around a cursor and my finger position translates to the tile positions on the center screen. The palm rest also makes it easier to be precise with my commands.

While the car is bigger than the 2020 model, the cabin is about the same size. Rear leg room and head room are slightly increased, which improves the comfort of a rear seat that has more thigh support than most vehicles on the market outside of SUVs with rear captain’s chairs. However, both head room and leg room will be tight for anyone over 6-feet tall, and the trunk’s 13.5 cubic feet of cargo volume is small for the class.

The 2021 Acura TLX starts at $38,525 for its base model, an increase of $1,300 over the 206-hp 2020 base model. The price ranges up to $49,325 for an AWD model with the Advance package, and the Type S should arrive with a mid-$50,000s price tag.

Covid-19 may have robbed me of the chance to experience the 2021 Acura TLX on twisty California roads, but I can still tell that this car captures the emotion and excitement Acura was aiming for with its good looks, frisky engine note, and improved handling. The new TLX likely can’t match the dynamics as its rear-drive rivals, and its engine sound may elicit some emotions Acura wasn’t intending, but it splits the difference between comfortable upscale commuter and exciting sport sedan at a reasonable price.

Acura paid for a hotel and provided a day with the TLX to bring you this firsthand report.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Legend2TL (09-29-2020), StealthTL-S (09-28-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Was watching the Alex on Autos review of the 2021 TLX and he mentioned the turning radius was significantly larger on the 2021 because of the 255 width tires ... :-O What will SSFTSX do?

Looking forward to the Type S reviews though, seems like the major criticisms of the TLX have been on needing stickier rubber and more power, both of which should be solved in the Type S.

Still shocked at the curb weight of the 4-cyl TLX though, and the infotainment system seems like it needs a lot of help. Seems like Honda's infotainment system is better with the touchscreen.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Turning radius is same.. Alex on Autos numbers for braking, speed, noise measurements are all over the place.

The base car come with 235/50/18 tires. Ideal tires for 4cylinder is 235/45/19.
but perhaps Acura may have got deal on 255/40/19 all season tires from manufacturer and just put on every thing.

weight of 4cylinder tech package Acura TSX in 2009 model with 17tires is 3470 lbs.
while base 4cyinder Turbo TLX is 3700lbs. 230lbs gain is nothing in past 12 years. consider safety improvements and more standard features with larger rims/tire setup.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
It is the 3990 lb curb weight of the SH-AWD A-Spec model that is surprising. That is ~100 lbs more than previous gen TLX V6 SH-AWD with essentially all of the same safety features and a 3.5L V6.

Only 10 lbs shy of 4000 lbs for a turbo 4-cylinder. We don't know the weight of the Type S model. On the 2020 TLX, the V6 only added 100 lbs, so maybe it would only be 4090 for the TLX Type-S? That wouldn't be terrible I guess compared to other cars, although the most direct competition to the TLX (non-Type S model) I would say is the Lexus ES350 AWD (4cyl) which is only 3780 lbs.

It isn't that important to me personally, but the turning radius was specifically called out as being bigger on the 2021 TLX with 255 width tires and as being greater than 40 ft. which is greater than the 1G TLX. You previously linked the review of Alex on Autos 1G TLX review in this very thread btw just last month, so not sure why you're now discounting what he has said about the 2021 TLX. https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post16620973
Old 09-29-2020, 09:39 PM
Safety Car

specifications are right there. the turn radius is same previous model despite longer wheel base and wider tires.
its more Premium, better weight distribution and wider car than previous generation. so naturally slight weight increase.

https://www.acura.com/tlx/pricing-and-specs

Last edited by SSFTSX; 09-29-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,060 Likes on 3,980 Posts
^ No one cares. Shut up.
The following 5 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
04WDPSeDaN (09-30-2020), civicdrivr (09-30-2020), justnspace (09-30-2020), oonowindoo (10-01-2020), YEH (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 01:04 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The J series is one of the most compact and lightweight V6 engines in the world.

I think the new TLX is heavy not too much because of its exterior size, but more of because of how stiff that chassis is and how much sound deadening it has. Most reviews suggest the car is very quiet and fun to drive, and that the car feels very solid.

Perhaps to make the FWD platform strong enough to have good handling, the engineers had to stiffen up the car a lot, thus making the car heavy. May be if they went with RWD, the car wouldn't be as heavy?

The double wishbone suspension probably added some weight too. The rims if IIRC also went up in diameter by an inch, and they are wider along with fatter tires. Brakes seem to be bigger and more beefy than 1g TLX. All of these add weight.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:11 AM
Safety Car

Evidently in their haste to stiffen up the chassis, give it a DWB suspension, and widen the tires, they forgot to give it better tires. We knew the acceleration numbers weren't going to be competitive, but even I would have thought all the work they put into the suspension, chassis, and SH-AWD would have given it class-leading handling. I guess tires aren't part of Precision Crafted Performance.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...k-test-review/

Such an upgrade might have benefitted the TLX A-Spec's performance on the figure-eight course, a MotorTrend test that evaluates braking, cornering, acceleration, and the transitions in between. As it is, our test car completed the course in 26.9 seconds at an average 0.64 g. That's a tad off the all-wheel-drive Giulia and 330i (26.7 and 26.6 seconds, respectively, both at 0.66 g average), 530i (25.9 seconds at 0.69 g average), and rear-drive G70 (25.2 seconds at 0.72 g average).
Old 10-01-2020, 01:21 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea I wonder why they don't offer a set of summer tires as an option. Simple, easy fix for all the numbers lol.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:31 AM
Safety Car

Acura TLX has slightly better performance with such huge season tire setup than lighter Genesis G70. both have identical price.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-maintenance/
Old 10-01-2020, 01:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea I wonder why they don't offer a set of summer tires as an option. Simple, easy fix for all the numbers lol.
Well, not all the numbers. It'll help braking and handling, but the acceleration...not so much. The 5-60 times and trap speeds are markedly worse than the 1G TLX V6 and Accord 2.0T. More traction isn't going to help those numbers out.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:59 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Motor Trend track tested the new 2.0T TLX (nos. aren't its strong point).

0-60
TLX - 7.0s (ouch, even with the lack luster rubber)
RWD G70 - 6.2s (should be under 6s with the new 2.5T)
AWD 330i - 5.5s
AWD Giulia - 5.2s

Biggest problem with the TLX is that Acura inexplicably sized it to A6 size, but the rear has less room than the A4 (almost G70 level of cramped space); don't buy their claim that people looking for more space would just get a CUV/SUV.

Last edited by YEH; 10-01-2020 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:14 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
What a lot of people in this thread are missing is this - incentives. Acura doesn't offer many, and when they do, it's usually on base models. BMW does, and they're usually very enticing. This lowers the price of new vehicles but also impacts resale as well. You can't compare MSRP vs resale x number of years later, because if you pay MSRP for a BMW, you suck at car shopping.

Acura's incentive spending relative to ATP is among the highest in the industry (up there with Infiniti).
Old 10-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
Motor Trend track tested the new 2.0T TLX (nos. aren't its strong point).

0-60
TLX - 7.0s (ouch, even with the lack luster rubber)
RWD G70 - 6.2s (should be under 6s with the new 2.5T)
AWD 330i - 5.5s
AWD Giulia - 5.2s

Biggest problem with the TLX is that Acura inexplicably sized it to A6 size, but the rear has less room than the A4 (almost G70 level of cramped space); don't buy their claim that people looking for more space would just get a CUV/SUV.
that is some outlier test. There is no way TLX is slower than RDX.
People not buying these for rear seat passenger room for 6 foot people on extending drives. I havent seen any one on rear seats of BMW 3 series and those BMW are dime a dozonz in bayarea. Try BMW 3 with 19inch All season tires with 255 width. The result wont be that different.
TLX is much bigger and high quality Platform now. that can pull high Gs with even huge All season tires. It paves the way for electrification. This is callled Effective R&D.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
People not buying these for rear seat passenger room for 6 foot people on extending drives. I havent seen any one on rear seats of BMW 3 series and those BMW are dime a dozonz in bayarea. Try BMW 3 with 19inch All season tires with 255 width. The result wont be that different.
TLX is much bigger and high quality Platform now. that can pull high Gs with even huge All season tires. It paves the way for electrification. This is callled Effective R&D.
I mean, Motor Trend reports the 0-60 is 6.5. That's still awful. A4 2.0T quattro runs a 5.1.

Acura still pulling its cheap-ass Honda tricks. Poor execution overall.
civicdrivr (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I mean, Motor Trend reports the 0-60 is 6.5. That's still awful. A4 2.0T quattro runs a 5.1.

Acura still pulling its cheap-ass Honda tricks. Poor execution overall.
those tests were done on smaller 18 rims with performance tires of Hankook Ventus. i doubt 19ich Primacy tires will achieved same performance.

Plus i dont think Audi A4 has same quality built for long term. less than 20k miles and tires are done. Acura has unique design and quality. it will stand out.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi...-term-verdict/
We also replaced all four tires before we would have liked. Right before a trip up the coast of California, we noticed one tire had a bubble on the sidewall, so two tires were replaced. Just a couple weeks later, a nail in another tire caused enough damage that we had to replace that one (and we again decided to replace a second tire to keep wear levels even).
Old 10-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
So audi is responsible for nails in tires now?

When nails see a TLX coming, they all run away?

Old 10-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
So audi is responsible for nails in tires now?

When nails see a TLX coming, they all run away?
the first two tires are already replaced. when you performance tires with weak construction. be prepared for the early damage. Acura gave 255 Primacy tires. this size alone will inhibit performance. Regardless. Acura has its own design and function. other designs are irrelevant at this price point.

RDX achieved 22.5 mpg with 20inch rims and 255 tires. I am sure long term TLX engine will perform better. Acura cars are measured by its long term quality and resale values.
https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a302...sh-awd-a-spec/
I stayed comfortable throughout the journey. With the city driving and “off-roading” around the horse training center and track, we managed 22.5 mpg overall after traveling 1,666.8 miles in less than 96 hours.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 10-02-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 5,463 Likes on 3,733 Posts
Not to agree, but my Merc tires (rear) were toast (beyond wearbars) at 16k of daily driving duty. Runflat Continentals.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Who cares... I am sure TLX NEVER get nails in their tires
Old 10-02-2020, 12:37 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
when you put weak performance tires. be prepared for the early damage.
Tire failure can happen to anyone at any time. It doesn't matter what car it's on.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...e-last-447218/

Originally Posted by NJTypeS
I have a bubble on the stock Michelin's. I already ordered replacement tires and rims from tirerack.com.
Originally Posted by CLASSYCLS
Yes I have to say I also had 2 bubbles in 2 tires, stock OEMS!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-...dewall-953209/

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I just noticed a large bubble in the sidewall of my 2 month old OEM Michelin tire. The tire has only a few thousand miles on it.

I have attached a picture.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZuser
Tire failure can happen to anyone at any time. It doesn't matter what car it's on.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...e-last-447218/

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rlx-...dewall-953209/
he has RLX. who knows when the car was constructed in Japan and sold in US. It is very rare Acura Test vehicles have failures with tires.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,060 Likes on 3,980 Posts
he has RLX. who knows when the car was constructed in Japan and sold in US. It is very rare Acura Test vehicles have failures with tires.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
04WDPSeDaN (10-04-2020), civicdrivr (10-02-2020), kurtatx (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

TLX feel wider and more upscale. and this tablet screen dont have on your face style.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
The Acura already looks dated, tbh. Buttons all over the place. The ridiculous shifter doesn’t help.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

the shifter is up there due to wireless charger/touch pad nearby. shifter and driving settings are next to each other in dial.
buttons are for HVAC controls of the car. Show me a single button that is all over the place?

Shadow2056 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 11:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,634 Posts
The Alfa Giulia is still a superior sedan...period.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
The Alfa Giulia is still a superior sedan...period.

From a friend of mine that owns one that loathes hers...I hope your statement was sarcasm. Lol! The Giulia is not superior. Might have a few features that are better but won't be able to use them with it in the shop 90% of the time.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Car has excellent looks. good in hiding its size.

Shadow2056 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 04:07 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
From a friend of mine that owns one that loathes hers...I hope your statement was sarcasm. Lol! The Giulia is not superior. Might have a few features that are better but won't be able to use them with it in the shop 90% of the time.
bet she owns a 2017. First year models. Had some issues. Subsequent years are reliable. No worse than a bmw.

I have a Stelvio. Another member here @hdcolumbus has a Stelvio and a Giulia.

Yes. They are superior. From the interior design, the best in class zf8 transmission, and best in class handling/driving feel. Alfa makes the most engaging everyday driving cars available today.
Shadow2056 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 04:40 PM
Safety Car

I test drove a Giulia a while back, and I would have to agree that it's the most dynamic out of all the cars in the segment. Class leading power, proper RWD, ZF8 is great, and (subject I know) the looks are just outstanding. The interior quality (not design but use of materials) and the infotainment system...not so much. I still don't understand why they decided to use their own infotainment system rather than the really good uConnect system in every other FCA product.

The one big annoyance I had was that the B pillar is really far forward. I'm not particularly tall at 5'8, and while I do sit a bit further back than most people my height, it was really annoying having to get up forward out of the seat to clear the B-pillar.
Sarlacc (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 04:47 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I test drove a Giulia a while back, and I would have to agree that it's the most dynamic out of all the cars in the segment. Class leading power, proper RWD, ZF8 is great, and (subject I know) the looks are just outstanding. The interior quality (not design but use of materials) and the infotainment system...not so much. I still don't understand why they decided to use their own infotainment system rather than the really good uConnect system in every other FCA product.

The one big annoyance I had was that the B pillar is really far forward. I'm not particularly tall at 5'8, and while I do sit a bit further back than most people my height, it was really annoying having to get up forward out of the seat to clear the B-pillar.
I use CarPlay. So I almost NEVER interface with their home system. It’s not terrible and it’s been much improved for 2020. But yeah, CarPlay all the way.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:58 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Don't yet know which is more the outlier, MT or C/D, and bet that most will have the 0-60 time somewhere in between (low mid 6s range).

And with the larger/heavier (in comparison to the G70), C/D had the 2.0T AWD Stinger with quicker passing times, which will increase the delta with the upgrade to the 2.5T engine.

Actually, interior space is one of the top things the majority of buyers look for (which is why the 3 Series, much less the Civic, keeps getting larger/roomier).

Why do you think the roomier G/Q50 has usually outsold the IS?

Bigger/heavier is actually a detriment if it doesn't pay off on increased interior space.

Being a dime a dozen actually means that people want to buy/lease it; what do you want, for the 3er to be as rare as the RLX? Lol

The Genesis eG80 is getting near to entering production and the eGV70 is undergoing late stage testing.

Now, that's effective R&D.

Speaking of which, what no digital gauge cluster on offer for the TLX?

The new Tucson gets one.

The Acura grille is worse than the toned down beak and keep getting visions of Voltron/Transformers whenever see the center stack.

Last edited by YEH; 10-03-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
Don't yet know which is more the outlier, MT or C/D, and bet that most will have the 0-60 time somewhere in between (low mid 6s range).
Car is faster than RDX. as MT tested RDX with 20inch rims and that RDX is faster than TLX. so definitely MT made mistake in testing.

And with the larger/heavier (in comparison to the G70), C/D had the 2.0T AWD Stinger with quicker passing times, which will increase the delta with the upgrade to the 2.5T engine.
It is more refined high quality luxury.vehicle that can pull high Gs on large all season tires. small changes in passing time wont matter to sales.
Actually, interior space is one of the top things the majority of buyers look for (which is why the 3 Series, much less the Civic, keeps getting larger/roomier).
No one carry around over 6FT people in back all the time of sport sedan.. Its middle of Gran Coupe and Sedan.
Why do you think the roomier G/Q50 has usually outsold the IS?
IS has looks of POS. and sit far low to the ground. TLX is much larger imposing design with excellent front seat position and views.
Bigger/heavier is actually a detriment if it doesn't pay off on increased interior space.
I
it has its own level of safety and rigidity that cannot be compared to competition.
Being a dime a dozen actually means that people want to buy/lease it; what do you want, for the 3er to be as rare as the RLX? Lol
It wont be rare like RLX. RLX too high price for older technology. This one most models at mid 40Ks price.
The Genesis eG80 is getting near to entering production and the eGV70 is undergoing late stage testing.
we have been hearing about them for too long. MMC of RDX will be next year and Acura will bring new sedan below TLX. and there will be Type S models for every vehicle.
Now, that's effective R&D.
It is left over German R&D with stupid grills.
Speaking of which, what no digital gauge cluster on offer for the TLX?
we dont need further screen time in cars. Computers at home are enough.
The new Tucson gets one.

The Acura grille is worse than the toned down beak and keep getting visions of Voltron/Transformers whenever see the center stack.
Acura grille is far better than competition.
Acura interior is logical of buttons. with shifter and driving dynamics buttons next to each other. Lexus interior is small narrow with the screen look to big for the size.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

G80 already look bigger for its size with oversize grill and outdate design.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:33 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

^ Why do you constantly feel the need to waste everyone's bandwidth by incessantly posting pics (pretty much everyone here knows what most models look like)?

And seems like C/D did a retest with their long-term 2.0T G70 (both tests being with RWD) and got the same 5.9s time that they got with the AWD TLX.

So Motor Trend has the RWD 2.0T G70 as being quicker than the TLX and C/D has them being the same.

But the new TLX won't be going against the pre-FL G70, but the refreshed one with the new motor.

2.5T and AWD - no contest.

And sorry, the Acura grille has the most awkward shape (even worse than some renditions of the Lexus grille) and the rear looks like the Buick Regal.

The dash design and materials in the TLX don't even come close to what's in the G80 (never really cared for the dash design in the outgoing G80).

Last edited by YEH; 10-03-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
^ Why do you constantly feel the need to waste everyone's bandwidth by incessantly posting pics (pretty much everyone here knows what most models look like)?

And seems like C/D did a retest with their long-term 2.0T G70 (both tests being with RWD) and got the same 5.9s time that they got with the AWD TLX.

So Motor Trend has the RWD 2.0T G70 as being quicker than the TLX and C/D has them being the same.

But the new TLX won't be going against the pre-FL G70, but the refreshed one with the new motor.

2.5T and AWD - no contest.
i wanted to show mirror. so you are reminded like how the other car looks like both interior and exterior. so never bring those outdated designs in discussionn.

Unless both cars are tested with 19 inch energy saver tires with 255 width. There is no point in comparing. With right tires and light weight rims. Acura will turn circles around any Hyundia. just like Civic Type R.

Primacy tires got 7.72 rating
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=244

Pilot 4S got 8.86.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=248

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News