Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,252 Likes on 4,869 Posts
Those Accords look a bit different in those pics. Are those the next gen? @SSFTSX
Old 10-10-2020, 06:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool EveryManDriver

Old 10-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Cool Sam CarLegion

The following users liked this post:
Comfy (11-04-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I really enjoyed how thorough that review was.
  • There are too many bad Cadillacs
  • Acura needs to fix their infotainment interface
Old 10-15-2020, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Arrow TFLnow

Comfy (11-04-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:36 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Driving

https://driving.ca/acura/tlx/reviews...2021-acura-tlx

1st Drive: 2021 Acura TLX

The newest TLX is an intriguing and stylish entry into the sport sedan segment, but the finer details need work

by Peter Bleakney | October 12, 2020 With buyers running headlong towards SUVs and crossovers, do sport sedans really matter any more? Well, Acura thinks so, and proof of its conviction is the 2021 TLX — it expects this sedan to account for about 20 per cent of its total sales volume.

The 2021 TLX is re-engineered from the ground up, starting with a stiffer structure, a new multi-link suspension front and rear, and a pretty dang sexy body. There’s also a new turbocharged V6 that spits out 355 horsepower, but we’ll have to wait ’til next spring for that one. For now, this 2.0L turbo-four A-Spec, with 272 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque, is the hottest prospect. Is this enough to get the TLX back in the sport sedan fray?

Not straying far from last year’s Type S Concept, this new TLX is longer, lower, and wider than the outgoing model. Even though it’s still a front-wheel-drive-based architecture with a transversely mounted engine, its long hood and short rear deck give a rakish, rear-wheel-drive-like profile. And the TLX has some pretty sexy haunches too. The sporty A-Spec gets specific trim bits, such as 19-inch wheels and a little trunk spoiler.
RELATED
Acura teases next MDX prototype, full reveal coming October 14
5 Best sport sedans that don’t break the bankThe cabin has its own drama too, wowing with a swooping centre console and low-profile dash that affords fine forward visibility. A 10.2-inch display sits atop the dash. You sit sports-car low in here and the driving position excellent, as are the ventilated A-Spec seats trimmed in leather and faux suede. It’s also roomy and with decent rear seat accommodations.

Ergonomically, the TLX is a mixed bag. We dig the array of physical buttons for the climate control and the volume knob on the console, but with the display screen being out of reach, most other functions are mainly controlled by a swipe-and-push touchpad. It’s better than Lexus’ system, but not by much. You basically tap the part of the pad that corresponds with an icon on the screen; I got better at it with practice, but BMW iDrive’s large rotary controller with surrounding hard buttons is a proven solution. Another niggle are the TLX’s gimmicky red-on-silver gauges, which are hard to see in daylight. But I will say this: the 17-speaker ELS Studio sound system is truly spectacular, and most is forgiven when I’m cranking tunes.

Nonetheless, folks buying this TLX A-Spec are probably looking for legitimate sport sedan moves. The question is, can the 4-cylinder TLX hang with the likes of an Audi A4, BMW 330i, or Genesis G70? Well, it’s a bit of a mixed bag, but as I found out after a couple of laps at Toronto Motorsports Park, this roomy and luxurious sedan has another side to its personality.
    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
      Peter Bleakney, Driving
        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
          Peter Bleakney, Driving
            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
              Peter Bleakney, Driving
                • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                  Peter Bleakney, Driving
                    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                      Peter Bleakney, Driving
                        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                          Peter Bleakney, Driving
                            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                              Peter Bleakney, Driving
  • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
    Peter Bleakney, Driving

But first, about its on-road demeanour. The TLX pretty much aces the comfort side of the equation. Yes, the non-adaptive sport suspension is firm, but also generally quiet and compliant, and the 10-speed automatic slurs the gears seamlessly. Hit a B-road and there’s plenty of grip, with Acura’s clever Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) putting the power down in a bend, planting the TLX and blasting forth. Still, fluidity is not the A-Spec’s strong suit — it has a very quick turn in, but the back end takes half a beat to figure out if it wants to play along. It doesn’t help that response time to shift paddle inputs is lethargic. The best way to drive the TLX briskly on a back road is to select manual mode and keep it in one gear for as long as possible.

However, the TLX A-Spec is quick, with 272 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque on tap, although the engine sounds pretty flat and uninspiring. To be fair, so do most other turbo-fours.

And onto the track. I selected Sport mode via the large rotary knob below the screen (it calls up a more aggressive shift map) and push the D/S button (Drive/Sport) twice on the gear selector, which puts it in fully manual mode. To be honest, I expected this track experience to be another uninspired “sport sedan” fight with body roll and understeer — after all, true-blue sport sedans start with a rear-drive architecture. But braking hard at the end of the long straight and turning into the first right-hander had the TLX up on its toes and rotating beautifully. Not power oversteer like in a rear-drive car, but nicely controllable lift-off oversteer which sets you up for powering out of the turn. Roll in the juice and the SH-AWD rewards with lovely four-wheel drifts.
    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
      Peter Bleakney, Driving
        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
          Peter Bleakney, Driving
            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
              Peter Bleakney, Driving
                • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                  Peter Bleakney, Driving
                    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                      Peter Bleakney, Driving
                        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                          Peter Bleakney, Driving
                            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                              Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                  Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                      Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                          Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                              Peter Bleakney, Driving
  • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
    Peter Bleakney, Driving

Indeed, the TLX A-Spec is an absolute hoot on this flat and not-too-technical track just outside of Toronto. I could’ve done this all day, but in the interest of saving some tire tread, I resisted the urge. I’m sure a contributor to this friendly slipping-and-sliding are the Michelin Primacy A/S rubber — an all-season touring tire that, while certainly not a grip monster, seems to have progressive breakaway characteristics.

Is the TLX A-Spec’s slidey track fun carefully crafted by the Acura engineers for the 1-in-a-hundred who might partake, or just a happy accident because they wanted some comfy all-season tires on it? Whatever the reason may be, my respect for the A-Spec got kicked up several notches for every lap completed.

With an all-in price of $49,790, the 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec is an intriguing and high stylin’ entry that undercuts similarly equipped four-cylinder European rivals by at least $10,000 while also being loaded to the teeth. The biggest problem for the TLX comes from South Korea, in the form of the superb, similarly priced, and recently updated Genesis G70. When the six-cylinder, 355-horsepower TLX arrives early next year, expect to really see the fur fly in the sport sedan playground.

Legend2TL (10-16-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 08:08 AM
Safety Car

Arrow BusinessInsider

https://www.businessinsider.com/revi...photos-2020-10

I drove a $49,000 Acura TLX to see if all-new luxury sedan can still deliver in a world dominated by SUVs

Matthew DeBord
14 minutes agoThe 2021 Acura TLX has a dynamic exterior. Matthew DeBord/Insider
  • I tested a $49,325 Acura TLX sedan, in Advance trim with all-wheel-drive.
  • The TLX is all-new for the 2021 model year.
  • My tester had a potent, 272-horsepower 4-cylinder turbocharged engine under the hood.
  • The Acura TLX is in a tough position as SUVs take over the world, but this sedan has always been a stupendous bargain, and the new edition is no exception.
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Acura TLX is a classic example of what we used to call a "fine automobile."

It's the sort of well-made, conservatively-styled sedan that can be sporty, but doesn't have to be. When you throw in parent Honda's impeccable engineering and legendary reliability, the result is something quite fine, indeed.

Maybe too fine for its own good. I'm not sure you can find a better luxury midsize four-door — and I'm including traditional rivals such as the BMW 3-Series and the Audi A6. I lean German all the time, but whenever I come off some seat time in the Ohio-made Acura, I lean back toward the TLX. And when it comes to the A-Spec special editions, I've been ready to open my checkbook.
The TLX nameplate has been around since the 2015 model year. Matthew DeBord/Insider The TLX is all-new for the 2021 model year, born into a world increasingly dominated by SUVs. Acura sells those, too, but like all luxury marques, the big question these days is, "Should we stick with the 4-doors?"

In Honda/Acura's case, the answer is clearly, "Yes," and most industry observers think that the carmaker and historic foe Toyota/Lexus can continue to make sedans work. But they need to be at the tip-top of their game.

I got to see how tip-top when I sampled $49,325 TLX SH-AWD ("super-handling all-wheel-drive") Advance. The car started at a well-loaded $48,300 and got no extras, just an additional grand tacked on as a destination and handling fee. (The base TLX is $37,500.)

Staggering value for a luxury four-door

The design is basically conservative, but with a lot of edges and angles. Matthew DeBord/Insider This is absolutely staggering value for a premium 4-door, but then again, the TLX has offered staggering value for five years.

The TLX worked its TLX-y magic on me in less than an hour, causing me to question my allegiance to a small personal fleet of Toyota hybrids. I nearly took the plunge on a TSX, a TLX predecessor, when I lived on the West Coast, and so every time I get behind the wheel, I endure a bout of what-if lamentations. I know I said "fine automobile," but for sedan connoisseurs, there might be no finer set of wheels.

If you think the TLX is a tricked-up Accord, think again. The new car has been uniquely designed, and the overall build quality is stupendous.
The Acura TLX is competing in a segment that's been losing out to SUVs. Matthew DeBord/Insider My tester arrived in a sleek Modern Steel Metallic paint job with a groovy baseball-glove brown interior, and the combo was fire. The gray exterior was ideal for accentuating the TLX's angles and curves, of which there are certainly more of the former than the latter. A set of 19-inch wheels initially struck me as too small, but over a week, I decided they were just right.

One does need to have a mind for edge-work to enjoy looking at the TLX, which seems as though it's less a single, fastback shape than a concatenation of voids, tangents, tucks, and bends. It borders on Cubism, but Acura has been refining this aesthetic for a while now, and it with the 2021 TLX, the concept has reached a pleasing apotheosis.

A soothing interior that's still a bit cramped in the back

Truck space is adequate. Matthew DeBord/Insider With the TLX, the busy exterior is soothed by a more placid, though high-tech, interior. We don't think enough about seats until they start to make us uncomfortable, and the TLX's 16-way front, heated and cooled, absolutely do not.

But they aren't recliners on wheels, either, as the TLX is supposed to offer spirited motoring in Sport mode, when the car's rotary drive selector — borrowed from the NSX supercar — is toggled in that direction.
The drive selector is taken from the NSX supercar. Matthew DeBord/Insider Rearward, the legroom is ... not great. My suddenly tall teenage son would not have relished bending his knees to ride back there. But the trunk offers 13.5 cubic feet of capacity, and the interior is kinda roomy overall, so there isn't much justification for stretching the TLX to deal with the needs of adult rear-seat passengers.

Under the hood, the TLX packs a 2.0-liter, turbocharged inline 4-cylinder engine, making 272 horsepower with 280 pound-feet of torque. This sucker punches above its weight big time. Even with a 10-speed automatic transmission that 1 might think would race toward the overdrive gears to vindicate the 21 mpg city/ 29 highway/24 combined fuel-economy rating, the TLX feels both potent and crisp, with a punchy 0-60 mph time of around 6 seconds.

Handles like a champ

The interior is soothing. Matthew DeBord/Insider The handling is variable. Sport Mode encourages a brisk mood swing that welcomes harder acceleration, but the electric steering got a little too heavy for my tastes.

I ended up exploring the Individual setting, which offered the best of both worlds and still maxed out the TLX's enthusiastic yet admirably capable suspension. Like every other TLX I've driven in the past few years, the stiffness equation was perfectly calculated: My spine was thankful and I didn't have to ease off during hard cornering.
The infotainment screen rises above the dash, into the driver's line of sight. Matthew DeBord/Insider As with its luxe 4-door brethren, the TLX comes with a suite of driver-assist features, and they all work as advertised. But this is a car I like to drive myself, so I made limited use of them.

In fact, I drove the TLX like I've driven some recent BMW test cars, while with Audis, Mercedes, and Lexuses, I've deferred to the adaptive cruise control option. Paddle shifters provide a manual capability, but I skipped it for the most part, allowing the computers to do a better job than I could and savoring the sonically augmented exhaust tones.

The infotainment system is a bit of a thorny issue here. Gone is the dual-screen of the previous generation, and in its place, a large central screen, with features controlled using a double trackpad, plus some buttons and knob (for audio volume).
The touchpad controller takes some getting used to. Matthew DeBord/Insider Once you get the hang of it, the setup works quite well. But you have to get the hang of it. As far as the tech itself goes, all boxes are checked: Bluetooth pairing, USB device integration, GPS navigation, wireless charging.

My tester was outfitted with Acura's sublime ELS Studio 3D audio system, a 17-speaker rig that is among the best available in the industry — and it's standard on the top-level Advance trim. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available.
The TLX is a joy to drive, although the electric steering felt too taut at times. Matthew DeBord/Insider It should be rather obvious by now that I think the 2021 Acura TLX is a winner. But I already thought it was a winner, so more of the same, new generation.

The next question is, "Did Acura remain tip-top with the car?"

Nothing missing, and the price is still very right

The TLX remains a superb value. Matthew DeBord/Insider Acura missed nothing in improving the TLX, and even gave a new infotainment system the old college try. You have to admire this obsessive commitment to ongoing excellence at a price below $50,000. As good as a lot of BMWs, better than some, and a relative bargain.

Sedan sales have been sliding in the US, and to keep cars such as then TLX in the game, carmakers like Acura have been upping prices. The new TLX is pricier than the old vehicle, but only by a few thousand bucks. I would argue that the outgoing sedan was underpriced, so at the very least, the new TLX is fairly stickered.

But the truth is that this terrific car remains a great buy. If you think about it — or drive it — I suspect you'll agree.

Comfy (11-04-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb RedLine Reviews

Comfy (11-04-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Arrow WardsAuto

https://www.wardsauto.com/test-drive...ans-sexy-again

2021 Acura TLX: Making Sedans Sexy Again

Luxury sport sedans should be with us for years to come, and the Acura TLX furthers the case for such cars with good looks, a fetching interior and a capable 2.0L turbo-4. In the spring, a high-output turbocharged V-6 raises the ante in the Type S variant.Tom Murphy | Oct 30, 2020

While no one was looking, Acura has gone from also-ran status among big-name luxury brands not long ago to a formidable contender in three extremely challenging segments.

Through the first three quarters of this year, the Acura MDX – at the end of its lifecycle – was the top seller among Large Luxury CUVs as tracked by Wards Intelligence, outpacing the Audi Q7, BMW X7, Infiniti Q60, Mercedes-Benz GLS and Volvo XC90.

Up against Large Luxury SUVs such as Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade and Range Rover, the MDX had an even wider lead.

In the hyper-competitive Midsize Luxury CUV segment, including nearly 30 vehicles, the Acura RDX is fighting for the No.2 slot, behind only the Lexus RX, shockingly outselling every BMW and Mercedes-Benz in the sector.

Among Lower Luxury Cars (a segment with more than 20 upscale sedans), the current-generation Acura TLX is holding its own, trailing only the BMW 3-Series, Lexus ES, Mercedes C-Class and Tesla Model S. At the end of its lifecycle, the outgoing TLX is outrunning the Alfa Romeo Giulia, Audi A4, Cadillac CT5, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS, Nissan Maxima and Volvo S60 – not bad at all.

And there’s no reason to curb the enthusiasm: An all-new MDX is on the way and, more immediately, the fully re-engineered TLX sedan now is rolling into U.S. showrooms from parent company Honda’s assembly plant in Marysville, OH.

The TLX arrives with sleek exterior styling, an alluring and comfortable interior, a groundbreaking driver interface and solid ride, handling and performance – all with an attractive starting price of $37,500, pegging almost precisely the average transaction price of a new car in America today.

The new TLX is longer, wider and lower than the previous generation and yet smaller than the now-departed fullsize RLX sedan, making the new flagship car a perfect “tweener” to rival both the BMW 3-Series and 5-Series, for instance.
Tom Murphy'21 Acura TLX A-Spec as tested, priced at $47,275 plus destination charges.

The ’21 TLX springs from an all-new Acura-exclusive body and chassis architecture that marks the return of the double-wishbone front suspension, integrated within a front rigid aluminum subframe. At the rear is a 5-link setup, with a rear steel subframe.

On the powertrain front, we’ve always admired Honda’s ready-to-run 290-hp 3.5L SOHC V-6, but that engine leaves the TLX lineup, replaced by a 2.0L turbocharged 4-cyl. that has fewer ponies but more torque (280 lb.-ft. [380 Nm] beginning at 1,600 rpm) and better fuel economy.

Gone is the naturally aspirated 2.4L 4-cyl., and product planners consider the new turbo-4 to be a significant upgrade for the base TLX engine.

The 2.0L turbo is wholly capable and probably will satisfy most shoppers. But the entry grade’s curb weight of 3,702 lbs. (1,679 kg) for front-wheel-drive models – along with expanded dimensions – make the TLX heavier than similarly equipped rivals from BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Cadillac and Infiniti.

With Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive, the new TLX is 155 lbs. (70 kg) heavier than last year’s model equipped with the larger V-6. That extra mass is noticeable when pressing the 2.0L turbo into service as it sounds strained when getting up to speed. Throttle response is not immediate.
Tom MurphyAuthentic wood trim in '21 Acura TLX Advance.

But engineers removed mass when possible by integrating aluminum front damper mounts and aluminum front fenders and also by moving the 12V battery rearward to the trunk, resulting in a weight balance that is 57% front-biased. The ’20 TLX was 60% front-biased.

SH-AWD is now in its fourth generation and has been upgraded with torque vectoring to help with lateral stability, as well as 40% more rear torque capacity.

If intenders want more powertrain oomph from the new TLX, it’s just around the corner: In the spring, a TLX Type S performance variant arrives with an all-new Acura-exclusive 3.0L turbocharged V-6 promising at least 355 hp, with standard SH-AWD.

A 10-speed automatic transmission is hitched to both the 2.0L turbo and upcoming 3.0L turbo V-6, replacing the 8-speed and 9-speed transmissions employed previously.

Acura’s Jonathon Rivers says it’s reasonable to bank on the Type S accounting for 20% of TLX sales, and it likely will carry a base price in the low-$50,000 range.

Tom MurphyAcura TLX Advance as tested, priced at $49,325.

But shoppers curious about the TLX shouldn’t wait for next year’s Type S to visit their neighborhood dealer for a test drive.

Besides its fetching good looks outside, the interior is well-crafted with form-fitting seats, Milano leather, authentic wood and aluminum trim, an outstanding ELS Studio premium audio system and an available bold red-on-black color scheme in the sporty A-Spec tester we experience.

Fit-and-finish is impeccable, as we’ve come to expect from Acuras, and the infotainment system is 1st-rate, integrating updates to the highly intuitive True TouchPad Interface, which helped the Acura RDX win a Wards 10 Best UX trophy two years ago.

One complaint about the interior: Despite its larger footprint overall, the 2nd row of the TLX does not feel all that spacious. For instance, there isn’t much headroom (pictured, left) in any of the 3 rear seating positions for this modestly sized male.

Pricing is competitive. A top-of-the-range TLX with the Advance package and SH-AWD stickers at $49,325, including the $1,025 destination charge. The A-Spec tester with the hot red interior is even less – $47,275.

Sure, people like CUVs and SUVs, pushing the U.S. market to a 70% truck mix. In launching the all-new TLX, Acura’s Jon Ikeda sees money on the table: “Thirty percent is still thirty percent,” he says.

Indeed, the competition has not been standing still with sedans: An all-new Lexus IS is launching now, and the Cadillac CT5 and Mercedes C-Class were redesigned last year. The current BMW 3-Series has been in the market for 2 years.

Thanks to their style, lighter weight, aerodynamics and handling, the luxury sport sedan has a lot to offer and should be with us for years to come. The Acura TLX does plenty to further their cause.

Comfy (11-04-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:20 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
The TLX is in there running for Motor Trend's CotY, but from there sounds of it, won't make the cut.

Great, but the new 2021 TLX can't overcome its issues of efficiency or performance of intended function. When we crowned the Genesis G70 our 2019 Car of the Year, the car wowed us with its remarkable balance—here's a small sedan that's engaging to drive but still has a good ride and premium feel.The Acura doesn't inspire the same praise from our staff. The TLX confidently splits a couple well-stocked segments of smartly equipped luxury sport sedans, and we appreciate the TLX 2.0T for what it is—a good premium option with sporty styling and value but without the chops to back up its looks.

The size and fuel economy of a midsizer (and not even leading among the midsize segment), but the rear space of a compact (and not even leading with respect to that among the compacts), and still lagging behind the best of the (RWD) compacts when it comes to driving dynamics.

Last edited by YEH; 11-10-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
The TLX is in there running for Motor Trend's CotY, but from there sounds of it, won't make the cut.

The size and fuel economy of a midsizer (and not even leading among the midsize segment), but the rear space of a compact (and not even leading with respect to that among the compacts), and still lagging behind the best of the (RWD) compacts when it comes to driving dynamics.
They are not correctly testing it. It is not slower than RDX. They may have gotten bad early example. TLX advance package with adoptive suspension has the most luxrious rid and dynamically compentent.
These vehicle are not for extended rear seat.

.https://www.motortrend.com/cars/gene...d-cons-review/
Con

• Engine refinement issues
  • Subpar ride/handling
  • Quicker/more efficient competition
Old 11-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
They are not correctly testing it? U know those are the same ppl that would give out the award right?
Old 11-12-2020, 08:20 AM

2021 Acura TLX Review: A Beautiful Dancer that Can't Throw a Punch
The new TLX still needs more excitement. Thankfully, the Type S is on the way.

Rolling along the highway, you'll notice the 2021 Acura TLX can steer itself quite well, brake for you with competence, and cruise down the interstate mostly on its own accord. Remove your hands from the wheel for a quick game of pat-a-cake with your passenger, and the car will alert you in a few seconds that driving is more important than baking a pretend cake. Acura, as a company, thinks so too. Above all else, the brand has pushed the new TLX as a car that's all about the driving experience, trying to claw back a brand image that has gradually drifted away from sporty and dynamic to reserved and kind of anonymous.

There's a lot to distract from that mission, though. So much, in fact, that I found it hard to find the car Acura wants everyone to see. The TLX, on the face of it, is good at so many things besides being a sports sedan that it's difficult for that part to really shine.

To that point, if all you want to hear is the Acura isn't quite as sharp as the new G20 BMW 3 Series, I'll tell you outright that it isn't. If you want the full picture, understand that judgment comes down to a few key areas—namely the four-cylinder engine and occasionally slow-shifting 10-speed transmission—while the rest of the new TLX remains an incredible value.
Continued here:

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/37...-throw-a-punch
Old 11-12-2020, 04:12 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

MT got a 5.4s 0-60 time for the Sonata N-Line, compared to a slow 7.0s time for the 2.0T TLX.

Let's say that the really slow time for the TLX is an anomaly, but the 5.4s for the Sonata is still quicker than the 5.9s time C/D got for the TLX (and C/D is known for having quicker times than pretty much everyone else due to their testing procedures).
Old 11-12-2020, 04:18 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

MT got a 5.4s 0-60 time for the Sonata N-Line, compared to a slow 7.0s time for the 2.0T TLX.

Let's say that the really slow time for the TLX is an anomaly, but the 5.4s for the Sonata is still quicker than the 5.9s time C/D got for the TLX (and C/D is known for having quicker times than pretty much everyone else due to their testing procedures).

Speaking of anomaly, MT is the only one that has been critical of the ride in the GV8.

All other reviews (including the well known YT reviewers) have praised the smoothness of the ride, even on 22" wheels.

But of course, it's not going to be as smooth as an air suspension which the Germans offer (which cost $$ and are prone to break down).

This has been the typical commentary in reviews (Autoguide)...

I won’t beat around the bush, then: the GV80 is good. Very good. The Korean brand has leapfrogged the competition from Japan, Sweden, and Britain, showing up with a mid-size SUV that can absolutely stand toe-to-toe with the German big three.

Is the GV80 perfect?

No, the infotainment system has a learning curve and the 2.5T can get noisy at higher rpms.

Also, not as sporty as the Germans (which is intentional, as the focus was on luxury), but a sport variant should be forthcoming.

In contrast, numerous reviews have faulted the new TLX for the same issues.

- heavy
- decent, but not great performance from the 2.0T
- poor fuel economy (in large part from the weight)
- cramped rear, which shouldn't be considering that the TLX is a midsize in dimensions
- laggy transmission
- still too much of the weight up front

The new TLX is an improvement over the outgoing model, but it's still seen largely as a sportier alternative to the Lexus ES rather than a true competitor to the RWD Germans.

Last edited by YEH; 11-12-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Put 19 inch 255 all season tires and see what happens to so called German car handling. As i said you cannot compare different tests with different set of tires.
TLX weight is due to new level of safety it has to deal with more SUVs on the road.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

what you mean TLX has to deal with more SUVs on the road? What, all SUVs run away from all other cars?
YEH (11-13-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:57 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Put 19 inch 255 all season tires and see what happens to so called German car handling. As i said you cannot compare different tests with different set of tires.
TLX weight is due to new level of safety it has to deal with more SUVs on the road.

Tough luck. Why did Acura put 19" 255 all season tires in its "like-you-say the perfect" TLX sport sedan as OEM tires ?

Comparisons are done with OEM cars and OEM tires. No aftermarket upgrades whatsoever.

You use shitty OEM tires, your car comes last in the comparo tests. Life is simple. There is nothing to argue about.
YEH (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

When TLX had skinny tires, he said BMW had 255 tires so that is why it handled better
Now TLX has 255 tires, he is complaining that it is all season ..
you do the test with whatever the manuf provided as the OEM equipment. That is how you differentiate cars. If all cars are EXACTLY the same, then why are you comparing them?
YEH (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 04:09 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

No, the TLX is heavy because it has the dimensions of a midsize, and because the SH-AWD system is heavier than simpler AWD systems (also transfers power to the wheels less efficiently, albeit the latest iteration is better than before).

That was the reason why Acura had dumped SH-AWD in the RDX and why they started offering the MDX in FWD; many buyers (esp. in the sunbelt) didn't need or want to lug around a heavy AWD system which impacted fuel economy.

For someone who purports to be an Acura expert, you really don't know much (and even less when it comes to the industry as a whole).

Last edited by YEH; 11-13-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
No, the TLX is heavy because it has the dimensions of a midsize, and because the SH-AWD system is heavier than simpler AWD systems (also transfers power to the wheels less efficiently, albeit the latest iteration is better than before).

That was the reason why Acura had dumped SH-AWD in the RDX and why they started offering the MDX in FWD; many buyers (esp. in the sunbelt) didn't need or want to lug around a heavy AWD system which impacted fuel economy.

For someone who purports to be an Acura expert, you really don't know much (and even less when it comes to the industry as a whole).
RDX SH-AWD is not heavier than comptetition. and is much more spacious inside.
MDX on long trips has achieved upto 28mpg loaded fuel economy on Edmunds. you should not comment on Honda/Acura has you have very limited knowledge about advanced vehicles.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/23/...pjiQzKZ-2762OT

2020 Acura RDX Luggage Test | In no way a 'compact' SUV

It has more cargo space than its competitors even before using its underfloor storage

Old 11-13-2020, 05:33 PM
Team Owner

you should not comment on Honda/Acura has you have very limited knowledge about advanced vehicles.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:14 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

MT got an even quicker 5.3s time for the N-Line.

Factoring in C/D's methodology which leads to faster times, likely talking somewhere around 5.0s - which handily pastes the 5.9s time C/D got for the TLX.

And it's not just 0-60 acceleration times.

Taken in sum, the Sonata N Line is a marvelous sport sedan that drives better than some vehicles one class up – for example, the Hyundai boasted more balance than the Acura TLX SH-AWD I drove on the same stretch of road a few weeks ago, allowing me to attack the curves with more confidence. The Sonata keeps understeer in check marvelously, although there’s no limited-slip front differential or brake-based torque vectoring to prevent a one-tire fire if traction control is disengaged – in Sport mode, the electronic nannies do little to blunt the fun, so just leave ‘em active and you’ll have nothing to complain about.
In many ways, I even think it’s like a poor man’s Audi S4, offering the style and space of the conventional Sonata lineup but adding a strong dose of driving enjoyment that rivals like the Toyota Camry TRD and Honda Accord Sport 2.0T just can’t match. Since it traces its lineage to the stellar Veloster N, I shouldn’t be surprised to say that the 2021 Hyundai Sonata N Line is a very nearly perfect sporty sedan.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/45451...mply-the-best/

That’s the problem with sticking to a FWD layout; allows for mainstream FWD models to match, if not best it.

While SH-AWD brings some benefits, it also brings some baggage (namely weight); it's not a true substitute for RWD.

Forget the N-Line, the TLX will have ts own problem within the corporate family with the Accord Sport and Touring.

For less $$, better performance than the TLX.

Last edited by YEH; 11-16-2020 at 02:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YEH:
00TL-P3.2 (11-17-2020), honda_nut (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Safety Car

it is irrevelent comparision without speficifying tires. as Tire technology has advanced enough that it make a difference now in handling.
SH-AWD does not have weight. Even FWD TSX that is non-turbo weighs 3500lbs with 17 or 18 inch rims.
u cannot expect performance on bargain basement price from true luxury vehicle. Honda Passport is much faster vehicle than Acura RDX
Acura TLX is much larger, stiffer vehicles with 19inch noise reducing rims.

Tire noise is already noticeable add to it low grade interior. It was summer performance tires.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyun...a-n-line-test/
Ride quality is on the firmer side, which makes sense for a sporty variant like this. You learn more about the imperfections of the road than you would in a standard Sonata, but it's not punishing. Tire noise is noticeable. Some staffers also noted a bit of dual-clutch transmission clunkiness in the shifts between gears.
Grip is impressive, too, thanks in part to the optional 245-section summer tires fitted to our test car's standard 19-inch wheels. Through a corner, though, the front tires give way before anything else, and turn-in suffers at higher entry speeds.

Yo

Old 11-16-2020, 06:37 PM

I've learned two things today.

1 - tire technology has only recently made a difference in overall handling
2 - SH-AWD is weightless
The following 2 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
LiQiCE (11-16-2020), YEH (11-17-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 08:06 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
SSFTSX should just go ahead and buy one of these since he loves it so much. Might be an upgrade over that 11 year old rebadged Accord.

Now as an actual owner of a 1st gen TLX, I can tell you that its not all that rosey. This will most likely be my first Acura that I get rid of before reaching a 100k miles due to reliability.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

2 - SH-AWD is weightless
A mere decade ago 17inch rims was consider big. now 19 to 20 inch normal. when some thing size get so big relative to body structure it has much more influence on handling and ride.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by honda_nut
SSFTSX should just go ahead and buy one of these since he loves it so much. Might be an upgrade over that 11 year old rebadged Accord.

Now as an actual owner of a 1st gen TLX, I can tell you that its not all that rosey. This will most likely be my first Acura that I get rid of before reaching a 100k miles due to reliability.
Acura TSX is heavier than larger size Accord. how many cars that smaller but heavier without much technology. it is that simplicity that i need to keep up.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:27 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Wow, I didn’t know there was so much going for a TLX.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:41 PM
Race Director

Received 3,293 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Even the folks at Consumer Reports -- Consumer. Reports. (!) -- were like, meh .... "pleasant enough"

Skip to @9:00 (especially @9:32) for their first impressions of the 2021 TLX

YEH (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:45 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

^ According to the resident troll, the good people over at the auto division of CR don't know what they're talking about, despite several of them tracking/racing, with one even building his own track cars.

But, of course, the high marks that the Accord gets from CR is completely warranted.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

2 - SH-AWD is weightless

You are telling me that prior to today's lesson, you already knew that Acura/Honda cars are "advanced vehicles"?
Old 11-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
^ According to the resident troll, the good people over at the auto division of CR don't know what they're talking about, despite several of them tracking/racing, with one even building his own track cars.

But, of course, the high marks that the Accord gets from CR is completely warranted.
I am surprized that you are in every Acura/Honda thread and still not learn anything from high quality/ low maintainace/high resale values of Honda/Acura vehicles.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...KBN27X2ZQ?il=0

Hyundai faces lawsuit over EV fires as GM launches recall

Old 11-17-2020, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
You are telling me that prior to today's lesson, you already knew that Acura/Honda cars are "advanced vehicles"?
Precision crafted performance advanced vehicles. Get it right.
YEH (11-18-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:47 AM
Safety Car

Smile Acura

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/u...lx-152705.html

Understanding the Revolutionary Front Passenger Airbag in the 2021 Acura TLX

7 Dec 2020, 11:33 UTC ·
by
Vlad Radu

Home > News > Auto Guide
In the last 25 years, Honda has been at the forefront of automotive safety, developing and enhancing technologies like airbags and active driving assists. Their latest feat, a revolutionary airbag, makes its debut on the new 2021 Acura TLX, which targets the highest available safety ratings in both NHTSA and IIHS tests.
7 photos

Through its luxury division Acura, the Japanese carmaker has built a legacy of pioneering efforts in vehicle safety. For example, in 1990, they created the world’s 1st vertically deploying front passenger airbag on the Legend sedan. It reduced the potential injuries that could occur because of ‘traditional’ airbags that deploy directly into the passenger.

The all-new TLX continues this legacy, introducing the world’s 1st front passenger airbag designed to reduce the risk of severe brain trauma associated with angled frontal collisions.

Acura states that the focus of development was to build an innovative airbag that can efficiently handle lateral collision forces. These can cause the passenger’s head to rotate severely at high velocity or slide off a conventional airbag, increasing the potential for serious injuries.

The research was based on the new BrIC (Brain Injury Criteria) methodology for measuring brain injuries in vehicle collisions, which was recently established after the completion of a comprehensive study of brain injuries conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Unlike the single inflatable chamber of conventional airbags, the revolutionary new system “operates something like a baseball catcher’s mitt”, Acura tells us.

It features 3 inflated compartments containing a central chamber and 1 outward-projecting side chambers that create an uninflated ‘sail panel’ stretching between them.

In the event of a collision, the uninflated panel catches and decelerates the occupant’s head while also directing it inward, between the two inflated chambers to cradle and protect the head.

Like the vertically deploying airbag introduced 20 years ago, this next-generation technology co-developed by Honda R&D Americas and
safety systems supplier Autoliv will be made available to other automakers in an effort to enhance safety for all future vehicles out there.

Additionally, the new TLX now includes knee airbags for the driver and front passenger. In conjunction with the front airbags and seatbelts, they are designed to control the forward motion of the occupants in the case of a frontal collision.

Each airbag is enclosed beneath a panel on the underside of the instrument panel, which is designed to provide improved legroom.

The car is equipped with a total of eight airbags, the most ever for the model. The suite includes front, side, and knee airbags for the driver and front passenger, with additional side-curtain airbags with a rollover sensor.

Moreover, the new model is developed using the next generation of Acura’s proprietary Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE)
body structure. It enhances occupant protection in the event of a frontal collision by using a series of interconnected structural elements that absorb and distribute crash energy away from the passenger compartment. The central floor tunnel is made of high-strength steel and connects to the lower front bulkhead. This innovative structure channels crash loads into and through the tunnel instead of the passenger compartment.

Much of the safety development and testing of the 2021 Acura TLX, including this revolutionary new airbag technology, was performed at the advanced safety research center of Honda R&D Americas, LLC in Raymond, Ohio. This center is 1 of the most sophisticated facilities for safety research, development, and testing in the world.

The 2021 model of Acura’s midsize luxury sedan is available in dealerships with prices starting at $38,525, with the manufacturer describing it as the best-handling and safest sedan built in the brand's 35-year history.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:54 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Legend2TL (12-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Safety Car

this time more A. faster than prior tests.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:09 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Yea car makers like to tell us many things.

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1579793822.pdf

seems like tlx is right in the middle.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
@iforyou : Post moved.
00TL-P3.2 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Acura emergency braking system is superior along with child latch.
2021 Acura TLX (iihs.org)

2021 Genesis G70 (iihs.org)

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News