Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Par for the course I guess. An M340xi is 3,968 lbs

The TLX supposedly got bigger this generation too, and it sure looks like it in pictures
Old 08-26-2020, 02:28 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
oh wow, that was for the 4-cyl models, whoops. That is really heavy.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:38 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,252 Likes on 4,869 Posts
Yep, it is.

In that comparison, it's tied for second for longest wheelbase, it has the widest track and it's the second longest. And while the exterior grew, the interior didn't. It has the lowest interior volume of those listed, and the least legroom up front.

The gas mileage is pretty abysmal too. But at least it's the only one with tire sealant and an inflator!
Old 08-26-2020, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQiCE
An interesting link on the 2021 TLX ... https://www.acurainfocenter.com/vehi...rview/2021-tlx

They have a comparison chart between the 2021 TLX (2.0T only) and their competitors - https://assets.acurainfocenter.com/w...RISON_v1_0.pdf

I can't seem to find it on this link anymore - but someone posted the weight of the car on vtec.net and said they got it from the above website - here is what they said:

That is a fairly heavy car - I can't only imagine what the Type S with the V6 turbo will weigh.
that Super Duper AWD system better be out of this world to make a 4 cylinder car weigh that much...
The following users liked this post:
LiQiCE (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Yep, it is.

In that comparison, it's tied for second for longest wheelbase, it has the widest track and it's the second longest. And while the exterior grew, the interior didn't. It has the lowest interior volume of those listed, and the least legroom up front.

The gas mileage is pretty abysmal too. But at least it's the only one with tire sealant and an inflator!
Yeesh, not only does it have the smallest rear legroom, but it has 5-7 inches of less front legroom compared to the competition, so the folks in the front can't even move their seat that far forward to accommodate the folks in the back. It's remarkable how a FWD car the size of an Accord can somehow have less interior space than a Civic...
civicdrivr (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 05:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Yeesh, not only does it have the smallest rear legroom, but it has 5-7 inches of less front legroom compared to the competition, so the folks in the front can't even move their seat that far forward to accommodate the folks in the back. It's remarkable how a FWD car the size of an Accord can somehow have less interior space than a Civic...
Forget about about TLX... Let's look at what is really important: the turning radius

WTF is wrong CT5? it has a turning radius of a truck
Old 08-26-2020, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Forget about about TLX... Let's look at what is really important: the turning radius

WTF is wrong CT5? it has a turning radius of a truck
Turning radius? That's ok, it's all about fuel range. Oh wait, it has the 2nd worst range too? Can someone check to make sure SSFTSX isn't about to jump off a bridge?
civicdrivr (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Turning radius? That's ok, it's all about fuel range. Oh wait, it has the 2nd worst range too? Can someone check to make sure SSFTSX isn't about to jump off a bridge?
i think the car is just too heavy to have any kinda decent mpg.

The car itself looks good but everything else just dont add up...
Old 08-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Current TLX and current 5 series rear space i
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 PM

​​​​​​
and there it is. Two photos which clearly show the measurements of the rear seat space
Shadow2056 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:16 PM
Safety Car

The new TLX has knee airbags. i dont think Acura has knee airbags before. turning circle is 39 feet. identical to curent version but larger and wider tire package. i presume more safety structure, refined ride, body motion control in rear seat, and much more road isolation. weight is less than current RLX AWD by 15%.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases...%20prevention.
“This new Acura TLX is the latest example of our safety engineering team in Ohio pursuing important innovations to advance toward our goal of a safer and, ultimately, collision-free society," said Jim Keller, President of Honda R&D Americas, LLC. "I’m very proud of how our engineers analyzed new brain injury research and then took action to achieve one of the most substantial advances in airbag design in decades.”
Old 08-27-2020, 06:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
The new TLX has knee airbags. i dont think Acura has knee airbags before. turning circle is 39 feet. identical to curent version but larger and wider tire package. i presume more safety structure, refined ride, body motion control in rear seat, and much more road isolation. weight is less than current RLX AWD by 15%.

“This new Acura TLX is the latest example of our safety engineering team in Ohio pursuing important innovations to advance toward our goal of a safer and, ultimately, collision-free society," said Jim Keller, President of Honda R&D Americas, LLC. "I’m very proud of how our engineers analyzed new brain injury research and then took action to achieve one of the most substantial advances in airbag design in decades.”

Acura hasn't had knee airbags before. Honda added them to the Accord when they designed it for 2018. Nice little feature for added protection.

TLX has never had any real space in the back seat. Neither has the BMWs except the 7 series. Same for Mercedes and Audi. I honestly don't think they were looking for anyone with more than maybe one kid to buy these cars with the amount of lacking space it has for the rear seat.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,943 Likes on 3,920 Posts

My Jeep from 2015 had knee airbags.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:35 AM

Honda, 18 years behind (Toyota was the first to offer knee airbags way back in 2002), yet choosing strange areas to "innovate"...

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/iih...m-knee-airbags
Old 08-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Current TLX and current 5 series rear space i
I didnt see the leg room #s but i did see that Accord has better interior in the back than TLX.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:54 PM
Safety Car

Alex on Auto has given 9/10 score in Rear Seat for TLX. so i am not sure why people even mentioning it.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

if that has 9/10 then 5 series will get 15/10...
Old 08-27-2020, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

wait... are we still talking about the new TLX or the one that no one cares?
Old 08-27-2020, 04:11 PM
Ex-OEM King

who cares? no one is cross shopping a 5 series with a TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (08-28-2020), Shadow2056 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 04:14 PM
Team Owner

SSFTSX is....
Old 08-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Ex-OEM King

He'd cross shop a Phantom with a TLX.

Don't appeal to crazy people.
Shadow2056 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 10:08 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...begins-in-ohio

Production of All-New Acura TLX Sport Sedan Begins in Ohio

August 28, 2020 — MARYSVILLE, OHIO

Acura celebrates the mass-production start of the all-new 2021 Acura TLX sport sedan today at Honda of America Mfg.’s Marysville Auto Plant in Ohio. The first Acura sedan created from the ground up following the brand’s return to Precision Crafted Performance, the 2021 TLX will arrive at dealerships September 28 with a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) starting at $37,500.

Designed, developed and manufactured by a team of Acura associates in Ohio and California, the 2021 TLX is built on an all-new, Acura-exclusive platform engineered for Type S levels of performance. The new TLX, as well as the TLX Type S high performance variant, will be built exclusively at the Marysville Auto Plant, and will be the quickest, best-handling and most well-appointed sport sedan in the brand’s 35-year history.

“We are incredibly proud to deliver Precision Crafted Performance for our Acura clients with a TLX that sets a new bar for performance and premium quality in an Acura sedan," said Marysville Auto Plant General Manager Bill Easdale. "Our associates are dedicated to ensuring the highest level of quality with this new TLX, which comes on the heels of an incredibly successful Acura RDX sport-utility vehicle and the electrified NSX supercar, all made exclusively in Ohio.”

Manufacturing associates at the company’s state-of-the-art engine plant in Anna, Ohio, will build both powertrains for the new TLX. That includes a powerful 2.0-liter DOHC VTEC Turbo powering the standard TLX and an all-new 3.0-liter Turbo for the TLX Type S set to arrive next spring. Both engines are paired with an incredibly responsive 10-speed automatic transmission designed and developed in-house.

“On behalf of everyone who designed and developed this amazing 2021 Acura TLX, seeing the first vehicle roll off the assembly line is a dream come true,” said Marc Ernst, TLX global development leader. “This TLX epitomizes Acura’s focus on performance and premium quality, and the passion of both our development and manufacturing teams here in Ohio are embodied in the product that we’re delivering to our Acura customers.”

The experienced production team at the Marysville Auto Plant implemented sophisticated manufacturing technologies to assure superior build quality and premium refinement for the 2021 TLX. Using a high-accuracy body weld process and high-performance adhesive, the team created the most rigid body ever for an Acura sedan, to help TLX deliver on its dynamic performance intentions. The 2021 TLX is also the first Acura model to feature a laser brazed roof. This new process joins the roof to the body side panels, creating a clean, seamless exterior appearance with no need for a garnish over the rain channels.

About Acura

Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the ILX and TLX sport sedans, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar. All Acura models sold in North America for the 2021 model year are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Additional media information including pricing, features & specifications and high-resolution photography is available at AcuraNews.com. Consumer information is available at Acura.com.
Shadow2056 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 11:18 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...begins-in-ohio
Production of All-New Acura TLX Sport Sedan Begins in Ohio

August 28, 2020 — MARYSVILLE, OHIO

Acura celebrates the mass-production start of the all-new 2021 Acura TLX sport sedan today at Honda of America Mfg.’s Marysville Auto Plant in Ohio. The first Acura sedan created from the ground up following the brand’s return to Precision Crafted Performance, the 2021 TLX will arrive at dealerships September 28 with a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) starting at $37,500.

Designed, developed and manufactured by a team of Acura associates in Ohio and California, the 2021 TLX is built on an all-new, Acura-exclusive platform engineered for Type S levels of performance. The new TLX, as well as the TLX Type S high performance variant, will be built exclusively at the Marysville Auto Plant, and will be the quickest, best-handling and most well-appointed sport sedan in the brand’s 35-year history.

“We are incredibly proud to deliver Precision Crafted Performance for our Acura clients with a TLX that sets a new bar for performance and premium quality in an Acura sedan," said Marysville Auto Plant General Manager Bill Easdale. "Our associates are dedicated to ensuring the highest level of quality with this new TLX, which comes on the heels of an incredibly successful Acura RDX sport-utility vehicle and the electrified NSX supercar, all made exclusively in Ohio.”

Manufacturing associates at the company’s state-of-the-art engine plant in Anna, Ohio, will build both powertrains for the new TLX. That includes a powerful 2.0-liter DOHC VTEC Turbo powering the standard TLX and an all-new 3.0-liter Turbo for the TLX Type S set to arrive next spring. Both engines are paired with an incredibly responsive 10-speed automatic transmission designed and developed in-house.

“On behalf of everyone who designed and developed this amazing 2021 Acura TLX, seeing the first vehicle roll off the assembly line is a dream come true,” said Marc Ernst, TLX global development leader. “This TLX epitomizes Acura’s focus on performance and premium quality, and the passion of both our development and manufacturing teams here in Ohio are embodied in the product that we’re delivering to our Acura customers.”

The experienced production team at the Marysville Auto Plant implemented sophisticated manufacturing technologies to assure superior build quality and premium refinement for the 2021 TLX. Using a high-accuracy body weld process and high-performance adhesive, the team created the most rigid body ever for an Acura sedan, to help TLX deliver on its dynamic performance intentions. The 2021 TLX is also the first Acura model to feature a laser brazed roof. This new process joins the roof to the body side panels, creating a clean, seamless exterior appearance with no need for a garnish over the rain channels.

About Acura

Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the ILX and TLX sport sedans, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar. All Acura models sold in North America for the 2021 model year are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Additional media information including pricing, features & specifications and high-resolution photography is available at AcuraNews.com. Consumer information is available at Acura.com.
ACURA and their fan boys "Great product, high precision crafted performance, TURBO, Double wish bone suspension, reliable, FAST..."

Everyone else

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 08-28-2020 at 11:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
civicdrivr (08-28-2020), Shadow2056 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Lol. I'll still be a fan. Only has 355hp? Still more than I have an it's with their awesome SH-AWD system. "Other competitors have more for your money." Yeah. What about known reliability? Low maintenance cost? Looks? If it doesn't have all 3, it's not considered a competitor to me. I'll be a fan. Seen the Mercedes. Seen the BMW. Seen the Audi. But working in car sales, I see the reason why majority of these get traded in within 60k miles. Beautiful cars. Nice features. But Acura just does it for me. My opinion. Fan boy? No. Just know what I like.
Legend2TL (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 12:39 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Lol. I'll still be a fan. Only has 355hp? Still more than I have an it's with their awesome SH-AWD system. "Other competitors have more for your money." Yeah. What about known reliability? Low maintenance cost? Looks? If it doesn't have all 3, it's not considered a competitor to me. I'll be a fan. Seen the Mercedes. Seen the BMW. Seen the Audi. But working in car sales, I see the reason why majority of these get traded in within 60k miles. Beautiful cars. Nice features. But Acura just does it for me. My opinion. Fan boy? No. Just know what I like.
Two words:
ZF9
Beak

The euro cars have a lot better reliability than they used to in the past. My VW is now more than two years old and has had zero issues and has only gone to the dealership for routine maintenance which cost me ~$100/yr.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

All my German cars have been more reliable than any of the Japanese cars i have owned before.

Is that gonna be the case for everyone? probably not. But that is just my experience....

my 2nd S2000 got my stranded on the side of the road for God's sake...
Old 08-28-2020, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

BMW start losing values much more than Acura even with free maintaince and identical price. and they still have warranty left. after Warranty the gap gets even wider.
so lift cycle cost wise there is no comparision. BMW 5 is even worse than 3 series.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd...185863873.html

Used 2018 BMW 3 Series 320i Sedan 4D - $21,000 (richmond / point / annex)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd...185019757.html

2017 Acura TLX ~ L@@K ~ 1 CA Owner ~ 31K Miles ~ Red/Tan ~ We Fin - $23,997 (San Leandro)

Shadow2056 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

So?
Old 08-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056
History shows Acura (Honda) is more reliable and cheaper to maintain. However, they've also been issuing NA engines which have much less stress and typically last longer than FI. Germans have been using FI for over a decade, so I'd say that really skews the numbers. We have no idea how reliable this new turbo V6 will be, its all assumptions at this point.

I think the Type S looks great, I do think the price of the TLX as a whole won't help it though. And as much as I wanted one, I'll never be a buyer, but I'm the minority who wants a manual so OEM's don't care about my business, understandably so.
The following 2 users liked this post by coop3422:
Costco (08-28-2020), Shadow2056 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Two words:
ZF9
Beak

The euro cars have a lot better reliability than they used to in the past. My VW is now more than two years old and has had zero issues and has only gone to the dealership for routine maintenance which cost me ~$100/yr.
Wife's 2015 TLX V6 has no trans issues. 77k miles and no problems. Despite everyone saying they always mess up.

All my German cars have been more reliable than any of the Japanese cars i have owned before.

Is that gonna be the case for everyone? probably not. But that is just my experience....

my 2nd S2000 got my stranded on the side of the road for God's sake...
My 90 VW Jetta broke down. Motor blew. My friend's 08 BMW 328i had electrical issues. My 92 Accord had no issues. My 08 Acura Had no issues except the cosmetic problems(clear coat on trunk lid, seats started to get tears in leather). German cars with me have had issues. The Japanese ones haven't.

Just like SSFTSX said. Their value is horrible. I've had customers come in with 328s that's 2 years old, they paid $30k for and have 18k miles on it and they're only worth $18k. No thanks.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

Do you have any experience with newer cars? Cuz the Germans cars now are not the same as 90s or 2000s,. and the Japanese cars are sure not how they used to be. This is a fact.
Even Korean cars are not the same anymore

I dont know what kind of 328 they bought for 30k and 2 years later it is worth 18k... #s dont add up... So 328 new costs more than 30k and if they bought used, it is not BMW's fault if they got ripped off? Too many factors.
if we are gonna start bring "my friend's car and my neighbor's car" i think we all got plenty of stories to tell.

By the way, No one buys German cars for value.... if they did, they are stupid.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-28-2020 at 04:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
04WDPSeDaN (08-28-2020), civicdrivr (08-28-2020), coop3422 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

So?
resale value very important. my TSX (it has Modulo kit) has like $6K trade in advantage over similar age and mileage BMW 5/3 series.
Mine has orignal suspension, AC. so original price not much matter. Acura will win over long term every time.

even the old shape hold so good value with 115K miles. No navigation/backup camera. just need in good condition.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd...180222394.html.

2008 Acura TSX Low Miles and Gas Saver sedan Alabaster Silver Metallic - $9,499

Old 08-28-2020, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Maybe to you....

For someone who spends $60k+ on a car new, you think they give a shit about several thousand difference in resale value 10 or 15 years later?

But just because you are SSFTSX, i will play
https://www.carfax.com/Used-2008-BMW...ies-328i_x8699

Same year, similar prices... that is a whole list, not just 1 example from craigslist... i am surprised you didnt find 1 from UK.

resale value very important. my TSX (it has Modulo kit) has like $6K trade in advantage over similar age and mileage BMW 5/3 series.
Mine has orignal suspension, AC. so original price not much matter. Acura will win over long term every time.

even the old shape hold so good value with 115K miles. No navigation/backup camera. just need in good condition.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd...180222394.html.

2008 Acura TSX Low Miles and Gas Saver sedan Alabaster Silver Metallic - $9,499

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-28-2020 at 04:57 PM.
LiQiCE (09-01-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
My Jeep from 2015 had knee airbags.
TLX was already the safest car without these airbags. This new level of safety from Acura.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Old 08-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Safety Car

Maybe to you....

For someone who spends $60k+ on a car new, you think they give a shit about several thousand difference in resale value 10 or 15 years later?

Same year, similar prices... that is a whole list, not just 1 example from craigslist... i am surprised you didnt find 1 from UK.
you should look for over 100k miles. over 100K miles. the gap $4k minimum in asking. at 150k miles. the gap widens to $6K.
so no need to complain about few thousands extra for new TLX. when it is supposed to have new level of safety and quality.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WBAVC53548F008383
Old 08-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

So i need to keep the TLX for at least 10 years to justify the few thousands extra for the TLX? Nah man.. you can have it..
Old 08-28-2020, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

After 4 years warranty gone. you will be few thousands ahead in resale value on Acura as long vehicle is in good condition.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd...185500885.html

2014 Bmw X3 xDrive28i AWD 4dr SUV We Finance! - $12,500 (concord / pleasant hill / martinez)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd...183482141.html

2013 Acura RDX Sport Utility 4D - $18,995 (*2013* *Acura* *RDX* *Sport* *Utility* *4D*)

Old 08-28-2020, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe to you....

Buy a Cadillac Escalade top trim and put 1000 miles on it. See how much its worth a year later. When I checked 2 years ago, brand new, top trim, you're at least $100k. A year later and 1000 miles, you're retail value is $64k.

People do care about the resale. You might not but doesn't mean you can rule it out.

2018 320i was $34,900 brand new. Put 35k on it and 2 years later, you're $13k in the hole. Max value, per NADA, $21,550. The 330i with same miles and year, $40,250. Value now per NADA? $24k. Working in car sales, I see these values every day and do the research on them every day. Losing $13k in value over 2 years is horrendous. Acura is bad for it as well but not as much. Don't rule out resale value just because it doesn't mean anything to you.

All my gripes about the TLX and it's competitor is all my opinion. Someone doesn't like it, so? My opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shadow2056:
EL19 (08-29-2020), Legend2TL (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:42 PM

Dude, are you really using a 2 year old car that averaged 17.5k miles a year as your example of "shitty" resale?

​​​​​

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News