Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
and TLX's Driver Lower Leg and foot will suffer worse injury and its low beam LED headlight performance sucks compares to G70

you have to mention those too
Old 12-24-2020, 05:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow AutoGuide

https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...king-the-grade

2021 Acura TLX A-Spec Review: Making the Grade

Previous ImageNext Image

PreviousNext

View Large
By Kyle Patrick Dec 23, 2020 Photos by Kyle Patrick

It’s incredible what a few subtle changes to proportions can do for a car.

Take the 2021 Acura TLX, seen here in bright red A-Spec form. The basic design isn’t terribly removed from the previous model: there’s still a diamond-shaped grille, squinty headlights, and clean flanks. It’s an evolutionary look, not revolutionary.

FAST FACTS

Engine: 2.0L I4 Turbo

Output: 272 hp, 280 lb-ft

Transmission: 10AT, AWD

US fuel economy (MPG): 21/29/24

CAN fuel economy (L/100KM): 11.3/8.1/9.8

Starting Price (USD): $38,525 (inc. dest.)

As-Tested Price (USD): $47,775 (est, inc. dest.)

Starting Price (CAD): $46,065 (inc. dest.)

As-Tested Price (CAD): $51,865 (inc. dest.)
So why does it look so damn good?

The answer lies in the details. Acura has massaged the proportions, dropping the roof, extending the hood, and moving the passenger compartment further aft. The team has looked back at what put it on the map—engaging performance sedans in a more affordable part of the market—and the TLX is the 1st product on this roadway to rediscovery. It’s more than just a sharp new suit: the TLX has gone to the gym, with a redesigned suspension setup improving both the ride and handling. Acura’s targeting the sport sedan leadership more clearly here than it has in well over a decade. Luckily, the TLX is up to the task.
Have Dealers Compete to Get the Best Price on Your New Car!

Concept car looks

Acura gave us all a good idea of what to expect from the 2021 Acura TLX last year. The Type S concept was a breath of fresh air, and promised a renewed focus on performance. A year later, the production car remains faithful to that mission. A lower, meaner nose gives the TLX a road-hugging appearance—an extra 2.2 inches (55 mm) helps, too. Shapelier taillights are the biggest change from what’s come before, with two wide exhaust tips framing the bumper. The TLX being a fair few inches longer than most other cars in the class. The added length lets the designers work with more graceful lines, and the result is a crisp, confident sedan. If only the glass panel for the driver assistance systems were better integrated into the nose…

SEE ALSO: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive Review

The A-Spec model adds chunky 19-inch, split-5-spoke wheels at all 4 corners, with blacked-out window trim and a matching rear lip spoiler. It also brings a round of upgrades inside, including great-looking, supportive seats in perforated leather and suede. The front thrones are both heated and ventilated, which comes in handy on a week with both snow and shorts-appropriate weather. The A-Spec also swaps in unique instrument dials, with red letters on a gray background. It looks suitably sporty, but can be very hard to read, even before you don polarized sunglasses.

There’s a lot to process the 1st time you sit in the TLX. While nearly every luxury marque is busy decluttering its dashboards, Acura has gone in the other direction. There’s a thick waterfall of a center stack here. Nowhere is Acura’s renewed dedication to engaging driving more apparent than in the drive mode selector being right in the middle of it all. I appreciate the move, but it does mean prime real estate is being used for something most drivers probably only fiddle with from time to time. Just below is a push-button gear selector, which never failed to catch me out even after a few days.

All that being said, everything looks and feels properly premium. Rear-seat space is also ample, with plenty of room for adults to fit comfortably, even on long hauls. The trunk is generously sized at 13.5 cubic feet (382 liters), which bests most of the competition.

Smart and secure handling

The big news for the 2021 TLX is the return of a double-wishbone front suspension setup. It allows Acura’s engineers to more finely control how the front tires interact with the road, resulting in that most elusive of improvements: better handling and a smoother ride. Acura’s also offering the latest evolution of its SH-AWD setup on every available trim (it’s standard in Canada). Our tester uses the all-paw system, which is now capable of sending up to 70 percent of power rearwards.

SEE ALSO: 2020 Acura ILX A-Spec Review

For now, just 1 engine is on offer: a 2.0-liter turbo-4, like nearly everything in this class. This 1 has performance roots, as it’s related to the engine found in the sublime Civic Type R. Here it makes less power, but at 272 horsepower and 280 lb-ft, it’s still more powerful than nearly every other 4-pot sedan. It’s also larger and heavier though, so we don’t expect it to be the drag-race winner. Nonetheless, it’s quick enough, with the 10-speed automatic doing a fine job of shuffling between its many ratios.

Add it all up, and the TLX is much happier to tackle a winding road than last year’s model, which should put a smile on drivers’ faces too. Despite the front-drive-based platform, the TLX AWD feels balanced and playful, turning in sharply and refusing to let poor tarmac upset it. The flat-bottom steering wheel is light on feedback, but maintains consistent weighting through every corner.

If only the engine sounded better. The 2.0-liter is muscular, but its loud without being particularly tuneful. Let it run into the upper half of its rev range and you’ll find a gruff, almost diesel-like noise. The aural angle is the only 1 that isn’t quite convincing here.

Those looking for an even sportier drive will need to wait until next year, when the Type S touches down. That model will use a unique 3.0-liter turbocharged V6, packing 355 hp and 354 lb-ft of torque. But importantly, the TLX A-Spec proves that car will have a solid base to work with.

Tech suite good; infotainment less so

There’s another, tougher nut for Acura to crack too: infotainment. Like other Japanese purveyor of luxury Lexus, Acura has opted for a trackpad to control its central screen. It’s almost always cumbersome, since anything rougher than freshly sealed pavement can cause you to make a wrong selection. What’s more, this isn’t like the Lexus system, where you can “scroll” via multiple touches to eventually get to the on-screen button you want. If you take your finger off the trackpad, you start from go again. I’m not a fan, and I quickly switch over to Apple CarPlay, never looking back. (Android Auto is supported too.)

SEE ALSO: 2020 Genesis G70 Review

On a much more positive note, the 17-speaker ELS Studio 3D audio system is fantastic. Crystal clear and very powerful, it deserves mention for any audiophile. At this price point, only Lexus’ Mark Levinson system can match up. Now there’s an idea for a comparo…

There’s a bit of an old-school feel in the TLX, as it skips out on the fashionable fully-digital instrument panel many competitors are adopting. There’s a head-up display available, but only on the top trim, not the A-Spec. A WiFi hotspot is available across the lineup.

Acura also piles on the standard safety and driver assist features, which is still sadly uncommon in this segment. Automated emergency braking, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, road departure mitigation, traffic jam assist, adaptive cruise control, and auto high beams are all along for the party, regardless of trim. Blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert join the party one step up in the Technology pack, and you’ll need to pony up for the top package to net a 360-degree camera.
Have Dealers Compete to Get the Best Price on Your New Car!

Verdict: 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec Review

Lots of people have fond memories of the old TL. It found a sweet spot in the automotive realm, with the bullet-proof reputation of Honda, yet the cachet the H badge couldn’t offer. But in the last decade Acura lost its way. Don’t take our word for it: even the company said as much.

SEE ALSO: Acura AVP: Shift Away from Sedan Focus ‘Saw Our Brand Being Diluted’

Good news then, that the TLX represents a return to form. It can’t quite match the dynamic goodness elsewhere in the class, but it’s living on the same street. The previous model didn’t even go to the same school. The TLX is still playing catch-up in the infotainment department, but that’s a much easier hurdle than the dynamic one.

Better yet, the 2021 TLX starts at $38,525 ($46,065 CAD) for a well-equipped base front-drive model. If you’re looking for a stylish, engaging, affordable sport sedan, the TLX has just made the selection process much harder.

Become an AutoGuide insider. Get the latest from the automotive world first by subscribing to our newsletter here.
LOVE IT
  • Fantastic exterior design
  • Strong ride/handling balance
  • Affordable pricing
LEAVE IT
  • Fussy interior design
  • Infotainment interaction is awkward
  • Engine sounds gruff

Old 12-28-2020, 12:52 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
While the TLX has generally gotten positive reviews, didn't make the cut for NACOTY.

The 3 finalists for Car of the Year are the G80, Elantra and Sentra.

https://northamericancaroftheyear.org/2021-nactoy-finalists-announced/
Old 12-28-2020, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
2G TSX also didnot win any awards. but now it has best resale values of any sedan.

2 TLX will improve once more people see it on road moving.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:44 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
same ole tired argument from ssftsx.

at least when you argued about air conditioning vent placement, it was entertaining to say the least...
Old 12-29-2020, 05:45 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
cant forget about "superior BHP because of the tires"

that was funny as well.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:02 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Cnet

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-introduction/

2021 Acura TLX long-term introduction: This one deserves a double take

We'll be taking an closer look at Acura's luxury-sport sedan over the next 12 months.

Steven Ewing

Dec. 28, 2020 5:00 a.m. PT

Listen
- 04:41Enlarge ImageWe'll have better photos to show off the rich color soon, we promise.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow Now more than ever, the Acura TLX deserves your attention. The redesigned sedan is a more premium, better-driving car than it was before, and it's finally got the chops to truly battle Germany's luxury-sport stalwarts. That in mind -- and right on the heels of saying goodbye to our long-term 2019 BMW 330i -- we're adding a 2021 Acura TLX to the Roadshow garage for the next 12 months.

This won't be our usual year-long test, however. Rather than spending a full year with 1 car, we're going to split our time and test two TLX variants back to back. First up: The 2021 TLX 2.0T SH-AWD Advance, finished in Acura's sweet new Phantom Violet Pearl paint.

Please welcome the 2021 Acura TLX to Roadshow's long-term fleet

See all photos +28 More

How we spec'd it

The Advance Package is basically Acura-speak for a fully loaded TLX. This car comes with everything: A surround-view camera, rain-sensing wipers, 10.5-inch head-up display, wireless charging pad, ELS premium audio system, Milano leather seats (all of which are heated), a heated steering wheel, open-pore wood trim and a whole lot of other niceties. Those are all in addition to the TLX's generous list of standard amenities, including LED headlights, a 10.2-inch infotainment display with Wi-Fi and more. Every TLX also gets the AcuraWatch safety suite, with forward-collision warning, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assist, full-speed adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition and so on.

The Advance uses the same 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine as the base TLX, with 272 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. A 10-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, but we opted to add Acura's excellent, torque-vectoring Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive tech.

A base TLX starts at $38,525 including $1,025 for destination. The Advance Package is a $4,800 option that also requires the addition of the $4,000 Technology Package, and with SH-AWD adding another $2,000, the final, as-tested price of our 2021 TLX comes out to $49,825. Not bad, all things considered.
Enlarge ImageEvery TLX comes standard with these sharp headlights.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow

Initial impressions

We've only had the TLX for a few weeks, but it's making a great first impression so far. On its 1st weekend in our fleet, I took it on a day trip from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara and back, and it's a great companion for long drives. The seats are super comfortable, the cabin is quiet, the sound system is great and the adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist work well.

"The TLX makes a great first impression," writes social media editor Daniel Golson. "It finally looks like a proper luxury car, and I love the rear-drive proportions that Acura was able to achieve."

News and features editor Kyle Hyatt agrees. "The TLX is both kind of surprising and utterly unsurprising in different ways," he writes. "The former because it's 1 of the best-looking sedans on the market today and also because, even in its more tame 4-cylinder trim, it offers a surprisingly engaging drive. The latter is true because at heart, it's a Honda, and all the core things the Japanese automaker is known for doing well are done well here. It feels solid and well-made, it handles well thanks to the return to Honda's famous double-wishbone front suspension, the engine is efficient and comfortably trades blows with turbo-fours from Germany."
Enlarge ImageSteven Ewing/Roadshow The TLX finally looks like a proper luxury car.However, it's not all perfect. "The dash layout is overcomplicated and could do with some real simplification in terms of where the buttons live," Hyatt notes. "That big aluminum drive mode selector is dumb. It's an unnecessary focal point that most people probably won't use that often. Also, the instrument cluster feels dated in a world where fully digital displays are commonplace."

I'm not a huge fan of Acura's True Touchpad infotainment interface, but I'm finding that -- as with a lot of things -- the more I use it, the more proficient I become. 1 complaint, though: When I'm using Apple CarPlay, the absolute positioning tech stops working. When you're using the native interface, you put your hand on the touchpad where you want the cursor to light up. But with CarPlay, you have to swipe, up, down, left and right to get to the various buttons, and since the display isn't a touchscreen, there's no easy workaround.
Enlarge ImageSo far, we're really impressed with the TLX.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow

Hotter things to come

Our long-term test of the 2021 TLX will be split into 2 shorter loans: After we wrap up 6 months with the 2.0T Advance SH-AWD, we'll be taking a step up to experience a bit of Acura's reborn performance brand. That's right, we're swapping it out for the forthcoming TLX Type S.

We'll be sure to introduce the Type S when it arrives in mid-2021, but needless to say, we're pretty excited. After all, it packs the same creature comforts as the standard TLX but adds a 355-hp, twin-turbo V6, not to mention a number of chassis tweaks. We're expecting very good things, largely because the base TLX is already a great starting point. Golson says it best: "I'm stoked for the upcoming Type S after spending a few days in this 1."

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 02:33 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Now that the Volkswagen ID.4 is available with RWD, Acura should do the same for the TLX Type S.
Comfy (05-09-2021)
Old 12-29-2020, 11:39 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Now that the Volkswagen ID.4 is available with RWD, Acura should do the same for the TLX Type S.
I believe it is not possible to put an internal combustion engine into a dedicated EV platform, irrespective whether it is FWD or RWD.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:33 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,252 Likes on 4,869 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I believe it is not possible to put an internal combustion engine into a dedicated EV platform, irrespective whether it is FWD or RWD.
I think he means the opposite - decouple the rear wheels from the ICE and power the rear axle with an electric motor.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,943 Likes on 3,920 Posts
Maybe that'll be the TLX Type R in the future?

lol who are we kidding, that'll never happen and the Type S is probably going to be slower than a base model 3 series.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:38 AM

Probably?
Old 02-03-2021, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Arrow RoadShow

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...date-yosemite/

2021 Acura TLX long-term update: Yosemite bound

How does the new TLX handle a 900-mile day of driving?

Kyle Hyatt
Feb. 3, 2021 2:00 a.m. PT

Listen
- 02:56Even with 450 miles of road grime, the 2021 TLX is a handsome car.
Kyle Hyatt/Roadshow The 2021 Acura TLX sedan benefits from a whole bunch of fairly substantial upgrades, things like a reworked suspension, new styling, better tech and more. Seeing these upgrades on paper is one thing, but how do they affect the car's livability?

That's what we're aiming to find out with our long-term TLX SH-AWD, which I recently took on a trip from my home in Los Angeles up to Yosemite National Park. For those unfamiliar with California's geography, that's about 13 hours of driving, which I did in one day.

In the TLX, that journey was nowhere near as taxing as it might sound. The new double-wishbone front suspension and multilink rear do wonders for the TLX's handling characteristics and help deliver a smooth ride. That ride, coupled with the relatively luxe interior and comfortable seats, make for a great road-trip car.
Comfort and efficiency are high on the list of reasons to love the TLX.
Kyle Hyatt/Roadshow Of course, no car is without its weak points. I'm tall -- 6 feet, 4 inches, to be exact -- and a lot of my height is in my torso. Yet even with the driver's seat in its lowest position, I regularly found my head brushing the headliner. Is this a deal-breaker? No. Is it annoying? Yes.

From a mechanical standpoint, however, the TLX is flawless. The 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine offers plenty of passing power at all times, though the engine noise isn't what I'd call pleasant. The 10-speed automatic transmission works smoothly and helps deliver reasonable real-world fuel economy.

Speaking of fuel economy, I averaged around 26 miles per gallon over the 900 or so miles I drove, almost all of which were on the highway. That's a little bit short of the 29 mpg that the EPA shows for our Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive-equipped model, but also not bad, given the fact that I maintained above-average freeway speeds. I would like to see a car like the TLX sit somewhere in the 30-to-35-mpg range on the freeway, but it's a heavy car at almost 4,000 pounds with AWD, so something's gotta give. Still, after more than 3,000 miles of testing (so far), we're seeing just under 23 mpg, which is slightly below the EPA's 24-mpg combined rating.
Even after 13 hours in the driver's seat, I got home without feeling too tired or sore.
Kyle Hyatt/Roadshow The rest of the TLX experience -- infotainment, climate control, cargo space -- is all really pleasant. The ELS-branded audio system is decent, too, particularly with audiobooks. Even though my coworkers disagree, I think the infotainment system works well with Apple CarPlay, so navigation, etc., is easily handled through my phone.

Our TLX isn't a cheap car at almost $50,000, but it offers plenty of classic Acura/Honda driving dynamics and great build quality in a genuinely handsome package. The Acura TLX was meant as a bit of a comeback for the brand, and at first blush, it's certainly compelling. I'm looking forward to piling some more miles on it soon.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:40 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up MotorIllustrated

https://motorillustrated.com/2021-ac...8-hours/72959/

2021 Acura TLX Type S Sells Out Online In 8 Hours

Evan Williams
News
March 22, 20212021 TLX Type S | Photo: AcuraTLX Type Gone
  • Badge missing for 11 years, sells out in just eight hours

• Only 240 Type S TLX models in total for Canada

Acura announced Wednesday that it was making the all-new 2021 TLX Type S available for online pre-orders, even before they gave the car a price tag. Acura buyers, apparently, were eager, and the online pre-sale has already sold out.

The sell-out took just 8 hours, with buyers putting down a $2,500 deposit for their Acura TLX Type S and snagging one of the 119 vehicles that could be ordered as part of the advance sale. Even more surprising, Apex Blue Pearl, which might be the best colour offered on the car (and the signature colour of the old A Spec trims) isn’t even available as part of the pre-order.

The announcement comes with another surprise for Canadian buyers looking for the new 355 hp Type S: Canada is only getting 240 units in total, Acura says, meaning that almost half of them are gone already.

Acura says it will start a waitlist, though, for those who still want a 2021 TLX Type S. Reach out to your local dealer or visit the automaker’s website to try and grab one of the remaining places on the list.

The 2021 Type S will start arriving at Acura dealers in June, with a price somewhere around $60,000, though that MSRP uncertainty certainly doesn’t seem to have slowed down interest in the car. In addition to the Type S-spec 3.0L twin-turbo V6, the car will get all-wheel drive with torque vectoring, bigger brakes and tires, and Ultrasuede sports seats inside.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Only 240 cars for all of Canada for MY21?? Guessing the MY22 models drop in early fall like everything else so this might be more of a marketing stunt than anything else.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

That is Deception at its finest.. It will put it up there with Tesla's potential saving cost

Acura sold its entire TLX Type S Inventory for 2021 in 8 hours!!!!!

only 240 units
RPhilMan1 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 03:58 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Only 240 cars for all of Canada for MY21?? Guessing the MY22 models drop in early fall like everything else so this might be more of a marketing stunt than anything else.
Agree. More than 1/2 the model year has gone by already, and the Type-S is still no where to be seen. It make sense to resume regular production for the Type-S along with the regular trims for the 2022 model year in September this year.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:46 PM

Hopefully this works, but slide 3 is a video:

View this post on Instagram

It sounds pretty good for a stock exhaust.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

looks good.. now let's see the #s... performance #s and $$ #s.
RPhilMan1 (05-07-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Ex-OEM King

No touch screen, no care.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

No touch screen, no care.
That must be a personal preference thing.

I have touch screen, have not used it once in the past 3 years. If the infotainment system is good, the idrive knob is better since you dont have to move your eyes off the road.

But that is BMW's iDrive. With Lexus, and Acura, i can't even get certain things to work with my eyes on the screen, let alone not looking at it.
Shadow2056 (05-08-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Touch screens suck
The following 3 users liked this post by kurtatx:
Acura TL Builder (05-22-2021), BurnabyTSX (05-06-2021), civicdrivr (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Touch screens suck
i am sure you would know.
kurtatx (05-09-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 08:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo

I have touch screen, have not used it once in the past 3 years. If the infotainment system is good, the idrive knob is better since you dont have to move your eyes off the road.

But that is BMW's iDrive. With Lexus, and Acura, i can't even get certain things to work with my eyes on the screen, let alone not looking at it.
Correct. iDrive and MBUX and whatever Audi calls their thing all work fine with the knob. The trackpad idiocy on the Acuras is infuriating at best and dangerous at worst given how distracting it is to use. It is literally the only reason we don't own a new gen MDX right now, everything else was stellar.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:39 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Alex on Autos

Old 05-09-2021, 01:20 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I saw a white A-Spec yesterday and I must admit it looked really nice. First thing it reminded me of was a Lexus.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:00 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts

Ive had iDrive and now Alfas version (which is where BMW got theirs from in the first place) and in using CarPlay, I would prefer a combo of touch/drive knob (which oct bmw and alfas now have)...something about using CarPlay and its iPhone-esque design are counter intuitive with a singular knob interface.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:02 PM
The Third Ball

Correct. iDrive and MBUX and whatever Audi calls their thing all work fine with the knob. The trackpad idiocy on the Acuras is infuriating at best and dangerous at worst given how distracting it is to use. It is literally the only reason we don't own a new gen MDX right now, everything else was stellar.
track pads blow ass. end of story.
civicdrivr (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 09:12 PM
The Third Ball

How the fuck does the regular TLX have a HUD but the performance model doesnt? Ass backwards.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Ive had iDrive and now Alfas version (which is where BMW got theirs from in the first place) and in using CarPlay, I would prefer a combo of touch/drive knob (which oct bmw and alfas now have)...something about using CarPlay and its iPhone-esque design are counter intuitive with a singular knob interface.
Oh shit i forgot i have touchpad too.. Dont think i ever used it either

Honestly, i dont know how the voice command is with Acura and others. But i use the knob to move things around, which is a lot faster than easier than touch screen/touch pad and Voice command for all Navi destinations.
Just read the address or the name of the restaurant patiently and clearly, it gets it 90%+ of the time. It is so 2010 to enter address letter by letter.. it does not matter it is done via touch screen or touchpad.

For Android auto, google is pretty good too at recognizing natural speech. So I hope this infotainment system control thing gets simplified within the next few years.
There is no reason to have Voice, Touchpad, iDrive Knob and touch screen in the same car all do pretty much the same thing.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-10-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

How the fuck does the regular TLX have a HUD but the performance model doesnt? Ass backwards.
Made for Mankind.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

It's that kind of thrill (TM)
Old 05-10-2021, 04:28 PM
The Third Ball

Oh shit i forgot i have touchpad too.. Dont think i ever used it either

Honestly, i dont know how the voice command is with Acura and others. But i use the knob to move things around, which is a lot faster than easier than touch screen/touch pad and Voice command for all Navi destinations.
Just read the address or the name of the restaurant patiently and clearly, it gets it 90%+ of the time. It is so 2010 to enter address letter by letter.. it does not matter it is done via touch screen or touchpad.

For Android auto, google is pretty good too at recognizing natural speech. So I hope this infotainment system control thing gets simplified within the next few years.
There is no reason to have Voice, Touchpad, iDrive Knob and touch screen in the same car all do pretty much the same thing.
Im talking more that touch screen is nicer for switching apps and using itunes than the knob. Faster. Knob works great for everything else.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Ex-OEM King

Touch works better for CP and AA because they were designed and refined to be touch interface driven. iDrive, MBUX, and others were designed and refined for years to be knob driven so it makes sense that each is better with a different interface.
Sarlacc (05-11-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 09:21 AM

Received 5,382 Likes on 3,688 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/2021-acura-tlx-...ots-1846882924

For at least the last decade Acura hasn’t really known what it wants to be. It has traded away much of its sporty reputation for luxury crossover sales. It dabbled in performance hybrids to support its NSX supercar, but many of those have since been dropped. Acura lost its heritage, walked away from a history of delightful sports cars, coupes, and sedans, and muddled its signature. In recent years, the company has taken great strides to reviving its specialness. The TLX Type-S is the next step in that process.

The world of mid-level super-sports-sedans is getting pretty crowded these days with competent players like the M340i, C43, S4, Q50 Redsport, CT5-V, and G70 3.3T. They’re all around $50,000 starting price, they’re all in the 365 horsepower range, and they’re all reasonably quick and comfortable. In order to stand out from the crowd of mid-level manager sporty cars in varying shades of silver, Acura has given the TLX Type-S a bunch of standard equipment that you either can’t get in the competitive set, or you have to pay through the nose for in options. It also has Super Handling All Wheel Drive, which has always been great, and just keeps getting better.

Before we get started, just know I love sport sedans. This is maybe my favorite segment of the market, and I’ve watched it get soft and flaccid over the last decade or so. The German automakers have brought unexciting entries to this market, and while I’ve traditionally been an Audi S-series fanatic (I still own a 1995 Audi S6), I’m not particularly interested in the sporty sedans from the traditional players these days. They’re just okay. I need a bit more spice, and that doesn’t necessarily mean more horsepower.

Acura launched the new TLX last year as a moderately attractive (if a little conservatively styled) mid-sized sporty sedan with a detuned 2-liter turbocharged VTEC engine cribbed from the Civic Type-R. For 2021, the company has launched an even more powerful version, bearing an Acura-specific 3-liter twin-scroll turbocharged V6 engine. Despite being a hefty boy at 4,200 pounds, that engine makes 355 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque. That’s plenty to shove it around. The standard SH-AWD torque vectoring system also makes the car feel at least 500 pounds lighter than it is.

Priced at $52,300 it’s right in the middle of the market. It’s just a little more than a base S4 and just a little less than a base C43 AMG. That said, it does come equipped as standard with advanced safety electronics, adaptive dampers, 20-inch wheels, heated and ventilated 16-way power seats, and ELS Studio premium audio. Most of that stuff comes at extra cost in the Germans. Fine. Acura is playing the value card, but it seems to be the right one for this car to play.

It’s an important foundation for Acura to lay if it wants to rebuild its sporty image kingdom. It’s also a great piece of structural groundwork for even faster versions of the TLX. Perhaps the company could build something of a ‘Type’ that is ‘R’apid.

It’s hard to think of a better place to properly run a fast sedan through its paces than the oak-dotted hills around Monterey, followed by a couple on-track sessions at Laguna Seca.

In the morning, Acura tossed me the keys to a Tiger Eye Pearl (that’s the gold color) TLX Type-S and told me to go get lost on the coast somewhere. There were a few different routes to choose from, but it was a pretty free-form drive experience. I headed down to 17-mile drive on the Monterey peninsula, heading out to Pebble Beach and up the coast to Cannery Row and back. There were plenty of tight twisting roads in the seaside forests to test the Acura’s responsiveness.

On the road, the car feels about as light on its feet and nimble as anything weighing over two tons can. In normal driving, it feels like a quick people mover, as you keep the suspension soft and throttle response reined in. Hit a fun driving road, pop it into sport, and the big sedan shrinkwraps around you, feeling much smaller than it has any right to. The steering is quick and delivers enough feedback. The tires are grippy. The SH-AWD works its techno-wizardry to make it feel like a much more compact car than it is. It’s like it rotates around the inside front wheel.

I’ve only experienced something similar — the eerie feeling of a quite large and hefty machine feeling much smaller and lighter weight from the driver’s seat — from one other car: the Porsche Panamera. As it turns out, when I mentioned this to an Acura engineer, they mentioned to me that the company purchased a nearly $200,000 version of the P-car to benchmark the TLX Type-S steering and AWD tuning. Whatever they did, it damn well worked.

It goes without saying that I would prefer a sports sedan find its speed by lowering its weight rather than adding power and techno bits and bobs, but if you absolutely must deal with 4,200 pounds of heft, this is a pretty good way of doing it.

As with everything in this segment of the market, it’s astonishing how fast these cars are today. The medium-fast sedans of today are faster and better equipped than sports cars of just 15 years ago. 0-60 times in the 4-second range are plenty. Who honestly needs more than that? You can rip a 12-second quarter mile pass, and bring the whole family with you when you do it. It’s silly fast.

Thank god for big beefy Brembos.

While the driving experience on the street may not quite tell the driver the full extent of the heft carried by a TLX Type-S, it sure communicates that well at 110 miles per hour into the braking zone at the bottom of the hill for the Andretti Hairpin. This car is heavy. There’s no way of getting around that. But the braking system fitted to the car is adequate even for several laps of Laguna Seca with deep braking zones into turns two, five, eight, and 11. The pedal is strong and communicative, and it only takes a hard run on the brakes or two to gain confidence in the car’s ability.

When you mention Laguna Seca, everyone immediately jumps to the Corkscrew and the level of intestinal fortitude needed to negotiate it quickly. I would argue it takes flagrant boldness to keep the loud pedal buried over the blind hill on the start/finish straight. It feeds directly into a left-hand arcing sweeper into a hard brake zone. Beyond that, the corner immediately following the Corkscrew, Rainey Curve, is a fully-loaded high-speed sweeper with little margin for error. The Corkscrew, despite all the press, is practically a non-event, though it’s fun as shit when you get it right.

With Ryan Eversley up ahead in a brand-new NSX, there was no chance any of us would catch him, but following in his wheel tracks, we got an idea of what the TLX Type-S was capable of. After six laps at speed, I felt like I knew about a dozen places I could improve my lap time if I really pushed it hard, but it’s not my car and I don’t have the budget to pay for new armco barriers at one of the most storied racing circuits in the world. I’m not a novice driver, and this car is still capable of quicker lap times on track than I really feel comfortable chasing.

While I didn’t clock any lap times in the TLX Type-S, there’s no question it was a quick sumbitch. Over 100 into turn two, over 100 into turn five, and much higher corner speeds than I expected all around the track. The steering is pretty engaging, and while I could have shifted with paddles, I chose to have the 10-speed automatic’s computer do its shifting for me. The last thing I want is to smash a paddle five or six times into a slow hairpin from V-max, and the computer can manage that pretty well. There’s probably another few tenths to be found if I did shift myself, but if a car has more than six gears, I don’t really want to shift it myself anyway.I’m not sure this is an out-and-out track machine, however. It’s just too heavy.

Still, it’s engaging to hustle around. Turn two is an excellent test of the car’s torque vectoring system, as it really wants you to believe you’re in a rear-biased sports sedan. Feed the throttle in at the apex, crank the wheel over, and power out to the kerbs at the exit. You’ll feel several degrees of yaw as the back end steps out to rotate the car around and aim it at the next corner. It’s a welcome and engaging sensation on track, and the grip and forward bite provided by SH-AWD is prodigious.

This is a great step in the right direction for Acura. To make a car that is genuinely luxurious inside but still capable of going stupid fast on a race track has always been the goal of a sports sedan, right? If those are the kinds of things you value in a daily driver, this is a great place to start.

The brakes are exceptional. The four-piston Brembos are strong enough to haul this big dude down from mega speeds in short order, repeatably, for at least three laps of Laguna Seca at a time. Good feel, good stopping, overall good.

The interior is really nice. This isn’t much different from the standard TLX, but I like how Acura lays things out. The materials are nice, the size is nice, and the light and airy ambiance of the light-colored “Orchid” interior is extremely welcome. This is a car that takes its fun extremely seriously, and the interior reflects that. It’s well-assembled, and looks pretty good.

I might also be in the minority here, but I really like Acura’s center console touch pad much better than any touch screen. It’s reasonably intuitive, and once you figure out where your finger is, you can control the screen without looking down from the road. It’s not quite as good as a button-based interface — there’s not much positive click engagement from the pad — but it’s a massive improvement over a screen.

I’m not an audiophile, but the standard audio package is really nice. Most of the music I listen to is lofi garbage quality anyway, and I can’t tell the difference in quality between a CD and satellite radio, so take that piece of information with as many grains of salt as you’d like. It sounded good. I don’t know anything about sound stages or depth of the treble or whatever, so you’ll have to test it yourself to determine if it’s fit for your discerning ears.

I’m a big guy, and I fit well in this car. At 6'2" and mostly torso, I didn’t have any headroom issues, and the seat was nice and wide and comfortable. For track work, it could have used a bit more bolster, but it wasn’t bad, and if it had been better optimized for track, it would be worse for the street.

I also really liked the wheels. While I don’t really want 20 inchers for my daily commute, they’re a striking design, especially on the gold paint car. They’re “NSX-inspired” which probably helps, and does connect the TLX to the NSX visually.

Power is good. More power is better. The standard TLX is pretty okay with 272 horsepower from a 2-liter inline four, but add an extra liter, an extra pair of cylinders, and another 73 horsepower, and it comes alive. This engine feels totally under-stressed, so it could probably be tuned to produce a lot more, either in the aftermarket or in future, faster, Acura products. Do I want to see this engine in a new sports coupe, a la the old RSX? Sure, why not? Especially if it is lighter.

As per usual, the SH-AWD system is phenomenal. It can do all kinds of math in a fraction of a second, and allows the driver to basically plant foot, turn wheel, go fast.

Heavy heavy heavy. At 4,200 pounds, this isn’t a lightweight track brawler. It’s a sturdy machine. Despite driving much lighter than it actually is, all that weight is still going to be hell on parts. Tires, suspension, brakes, fluids, and more will wear out faster as the weight of a car climbs. I’d hate to have the consumables and maintenance bill for a thing this stout and fast.

The engine is decent, and sounds okay, but it doesn’t have the character of a big-revs naturally-aspirated Honda engine of days gone by. The 3-liter is a bit uninspired. It’s not exactly lopey with a 6,200 rpm redline, but it doesn’t feel like a proper sports car engine the way prior Type-S models had. If I’m getting into a sporty Acura, I really want to zing it out to redline, but this one doesn’t really reward such behavior. Just let the turbo do its thing, and you’ll be going quickly in no time.
Like anything fast these days, it’s video-game fast without theater or pomp. This car just “shits and gits,” as my grandfather would say. The torque curve is as flat as a table, and while that makes for a fast car with unbelievable lap times, it doesn’t imbue character or connection.

I know it’s cliché at this point for an automotive scribe to decry the death of the manual transmission, but this car would be at least 60 times better with a gearbox to row and a third pedal. I don’t care about paddle shifters or lap times or whatever, when I’m looking for a sports sedan, I want driver engagement, dammit.

Acura basically built this car for people like me. I want a car which will carry people, dogs, and occasionally things in a rapid and engaging fashion. Sport sedans are totally my jam. I can’t abide fast SUVs, and I am kind of too old to drive a two-door and expect my friends and family to squeeze into the back seat. This is the sports car for people who grew up and got stable jobs. It’ll totally baby, is what I’m saying.

Unfortunately, this whole segment of the market kind of falls flat for me right now. Everything got too big, too bloated, too heavy, and too technologically advanced. Acura’s most recent Type-S machine, the TL, weighed some 500 pounds less than this.

Car And Driver’s Daniel Pund tested the OG Type-S — the gorgeous and capable 3.2CL — in period and called it out for being capable but not fun. “The Type S is so undeniably good, so well-produced, so good at the process of being what it is supposed to be,” Pund wrote, “that it has left us utterly unmoved.”
It’s a shame to say it, but the new TLX Type-S is more of the same. By that token, it’s perfectly representative of what the Type-S brand exists to do. It’s a damn good car, but it doesn’t stir the emotions the way I thought it might. It sure is quick, though.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Cool Acura News

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...ships-mid-june

Highly Anticipated 2021 Acura TLX Type S To Arrive at Dealerships Mid-June

May 20, 2021 — TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Acura’s best-performing sedan yet goes on sale June 23 with a starting price of $52,3001
  • Pre-sale activities begin today with Type S microsite launch, Build & Price and dealer reservation process for prospective customers
  • Available in limited quantities, fewer than 2,000 model year 2021 TLX Type S to be built
  • Performance standard, Type S features a 355-horsepower Turbo V6, sport-tuned double wishbone front suspension, Brembo® brakes and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
The all-new 2021 Acura TLX Type S, the first in a new generation of Type S performance variants, will begin arriving at Acura dealers nationwide next month with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $52,3001. Beginning today, prospective Type S buyers can learn more about the 2021 TLX Type S by visiting Acura.com/Type-S, build and price their desired configuration, and contact a local dealer to reserve their spot in line.

The 2021 TLX Type S is available in two well equipped variations. Starting at $52,300, the TLX Type S features 20-inch multi-spoke wheels with Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-Season tires. Buyers seeking even more performance can opt for the TLX Type S with High Performance Wheel and Tire Package for $53,100, which brings NSX-inspired split 5-spoke wheels, reducing unsprung mass by more than 21 lbs., and 255-series Pirelli P-Zero summer tires.

TLX Type S strengthens the fundamentals of Precision Crafted Performance with significant enhancements to all elements of the driving experience and a distinctive visual character inside and out. With performance validated on track, Type S models cater to spirited driving enthusiasts and the well-equipped TLX Type S features an impressive list of standard high-performance hardware.

The all-new 355-horsespower1, 3.0-liter Type S Turbo V6 engine was developed by some of the company’s most experienced powertrain engineers, including team members who developed the bespoke twin-turbocharged V6 hybrid power unit that powers NSX. A specially-tuned 10-speed automatic transmission also is standard, along with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) with true torque vectoring. The TLX Type S sport-tuned chassis features a double-wishbone front suspension, Adaptive Dampers, NSX-derived electro-servo braking system and Brembo™ 4-piston front calipers with larger front rotors and matching red calipers at the rear.

Acura engineers created the TLX Type S as an emotional and exciting premium performance sedan without sacrificing the everyday usability and comfort of the critically acclaimed second-generation TLX. The 2021 TLX Type S also comes with 16-way driver and front passenger sport seats with power adjustable bolsters, supple Milano leather with Ultrasuede® inserts, Type S embossing on the headrests, an ELS STUDIO 3D® 17-speaker premium audio system and a 10.2-inch audio and information display operated with Acura’s award-winning True Touch Interface™.

Standard safety and driver assistive equipment includes the AcuraWatch™ suite of safety and driver assistive technologies, and the world’s first front passenger airbag designed to reduce head rotation in a collision.
Model / Trim
MSRP2
MSRP
with Destination3

EPA Mileage Rating4
City/Hwy/Combined

2021 TLX Type S
$52,300
$53,325
19 / 25 / 21
2021 TLX Type S
with High Performance Wheel & Tire Package

$53,100
$54,125
19 / 24 / 21
1. SAE Net. Peak power arrives at 5,500 rpm
2. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) excluding tax, license, registration, destination charge and options. Dealer prices may vary.
3. MSRP including $1,025 destination charge.
4. Based on 2021 EPA mileage ratings; Use for comparison purposes only; Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, battery pack age/condition (hybrid models), and other factors.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the ILX and TLX sport sedans, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar. All 2021 model year and newer Acura vehicles are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Additional media information including pricing, features & specifications and high-resolution photography is available at AcuraNews.com. Consumer information is available at Acura.com.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:50 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,472 Likes on 929 Posts
Just built one. Apex Blue Pearl on Ebony. Not many other options to choose from because the Advance Package is not available on the Type-S.

$53,825 total. If Acura offered a 6MT for this car I would not hesitate one second to place an order. But I want my next car to have one before they are gone for good or too rare in a new vehicle.

Too bad...
The following 2 users liked this post by RPhilMan1:
BurnabyTSX (05-20-2021), coop3422 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

I think the only choice you have now is the base 6mt M3/M4.... but obviously that is about 20k more.

or used.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

I would say the pricing is not bad at all. The car is overall less than its competitions but it is also significantly cheaper (with options) than others.

For people who are looking for value in that segment, it is not a bad buy, especially it looks pretty good this time.

If i were in the marketing for 330i, A4/A5 or C300, i would definitely look at TL-S since you get A ALOOOOT more for the same price.
M340i, C43 or S4/5, not so much.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-20-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:11 PM
Ex-OEM King

I think the only choice you have now is the base 6mt M3/M4.... but obviously that is about 20k more.

or used.
And Caddy Blackwing. Either that or you're back to the hot hatch market with the CTR and Golf R.

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News