Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
On a serious note, my guess it's transmission software issues.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
So I shouldnt get one huh.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Someone on ToV who claims to work closely with the Acura team says it's a problem with the production facility, not the actual car design. It has to do with the part where they mate the transmission with the SH-AWD.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by qingcong
Someone on ToV who claims to work closely with the Acura team says it's a problem with the production facility, not the actual car design. It has to do with the part where they mate the transmission with the SH-AWD.
Cool.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,914 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Cool.
Story.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Story.
Bro
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by qingcong
That is not the point. When you release a car or any new product into the market, everything including facility coordination and logistics should have been sorted out LONG before the official unveil date.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
That is not the point. When you release a car or any new product into the market, everything including facility coordination and logistics should have been sorted out LONG before the official unveil date.
stuff happens. lots of manufacturers have delayed releases in the past, even...*wait for it*...bmw has delayed releases before.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by skd2k1
stuff happens. lots of manufacturers have delayed releases in the past, even...*wait for it*...bmw has delayed releases before.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,771 Likes on 13,965 Posts
Mebbe the delay is to test out what better-tires will do for performance as they take on that Koenigsegg One:1 in a drag race?

You'll be floored and shocked by the results.
ttribe (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

:getsomenewmaterialbro:
VTEC Racer (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Yes you can delay cars that is NOT your bread and butter (NSX), when was 3 or 5 series ever delayed?

You keep on bring up BMW, you think we won't talk shit about BMW for its whoring? then go the BMW thread.
The fact that you think Acura can do no wrong = you are a brainwashed fanboy.
You said Acura is not Tier 1 and does not compete with BMW, yet you kept bring BMW comparisons. Pick 1 and stick with it.

You are on the losing side of pretty much every debate in this thread, so just stop.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-22-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes you can delay cars that is NOT your bread and butter (NSX), when was 3 or 5 series ever delayed?

You keep on bring up BMW, you think we won't talk shit about BMW for its whoring? then go the BMW thread.

The fact that you think Acura can do no wrong = you are a brainwashed fanboy.

You said Acura is not Tier 1 and does not compete with BMW, yet you kept bring BMW comparisons. Pick 1 and stick to it.
like I said, stuff happens...it's not the end of the world or a reason not to buy a tlx.

I never said acura can do no wrong. on the contrary, a few of you in the 'cool story bro' club seem to think acura can do no right, what does that say about you? :rhetoricalquestion:

bmw is a convenient example bc they've been highlighted as what acura should be benchmarking, not by me.

You are on the losing side of pretty much every debate in this thread, so just stop.
thus saith oonowindoo.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

No that is why i said 90%+ not 100%. FYI this FWD TLX does not SHAWD either.

you need someone like SSFTXX to sell you a car:
"why get other brands when you can have Superior ground clearance, skinny all season tires and 30mpg"

FYI, most of us are not Anti-Acura, only fanboyz will think that way. If the car is good then it is good, if it is mediocre then it is just that.

We have plenty of good things to say about MDX, 3G TL, 2G TL, Legend, NSX and Integra. So far every car we did not like has proven to be a failure for Acura: ZDX, ILX, 4G TL, RLX, RL.

TLX: i haven't seen 1 post from anyone that says TLX is ugly or as bad as 4G TL. Everyone is just saying Meh....
like I said, stuff happens...it's not the end of the world or a reason not to buy a tlx.

I never said acura can do no wrong. on the contrary, a few of you in the 'cool story bro' club seem to think acura can do no right, what does that say about you? :rhetoricalquestion:

bmw is a convenient example bc they've been highlighted as what acura should be benchmarking, not by me.

thus saith oonowindoo.
Let me re-quote myself for the 2nd time, to prove you are talking out of your ass.

And no one even mentioned anything BMW's release date until you brought it up. not by you?

Keep rolling your eyes, maybe you can see better when they are in the back of your head.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Let me re-quote myself for the 2nd time, to prove you are talking out of your ass.

And no one even mentioned anything BMW's release date until you brought it up. not by you?

Keep rolling your eyes, maybe you can see better when they are in the back of your head.
again, bmw has been used as a benchmark for acura in this thread many times, not just by me. so, I've merely carried on with that and again used bmw as a benchmark.

keep trying to silence dissent, it says volumes about your ability to have an open minded discussion.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Oh jesus. Don't even remember when that post was made.

The point I'm making is that people don't look at 5-60 mph time to make the final decision in car shopping.

Maybe you do.

The performance test results by car magazines do NOT make or break the car's sales numbers since only a very small part of the general buyer is the car "enthusiast". And even then, the true enthusiasts don't go for TSX over the competitors not just because TSX looks vanilla, but also for the fact that the TSX does not have as much "driving feel" and/or "mod potential" as the other sedans in the category.

More I think about it, more odd how you think "outrunning" other cars from 5-60 mph roll race is relevant to whatever we are discussing about. I actually don't even know why we are even talking about this.
He is referring me talking about 20-100mph acceleration (which is what you usually feel in real life 20-60mph, 40-80mph, or 60-100mph. Passing accelerations)

i chose not to rely because he kept on bring up 5-60 mph, which to me is just as irrelevant as 0-60.

Many exotics can do 0-60 in 4.X secs.. and some 335i can do high 4s too. but we all know there is no way in hell they have the same accelerations.

Yes that was in response to the 20-100mph comment back then. Sorry I was away on vacation during the Easter holiday...may be that's why you don't remember what we were discussing about.

Of course of course, most consumers don't look at 0-60mph 5-60mph etc when making their car buying decisions. Most of them also don't care about 20-100mph since that's way above speed limit anyway.

This whole topic got brought up when Legend2TL brought up the peak hp figures of various cars in the TLX segment (page 208). oonowindoo then countered that by saying its low end torque that matters when it comes to real world performance. He concluded by saying FI engines are thus better in terms of real world efficiency and performance. He went on and said that the TLX 2.4 DCT might accelerate as fast as a A4 in 0-60mph, but for 20-100mph acceleration, it won't be close, and that the TLX will feel slower in every day driving.

In response to that, I said that from a roll, NA powered cars tend to be more responsive than turbocharged cars. Most car magazines show 5-60mph numbers as that takes the launch control, traction, etc away from the equation. That gives you REAL WORLD number as to how a car would do. I then posted numbers from various A4's and other cars to illustrate this point. Whether it's 5-60mph, 20-60mph, 40-80mph, you don't have the chance to build up the boost.

This is not about 0-60mph or 0 to whatever. This is about the difference between 0-60mph and 5-60mph. This is about how much slower a car is without brake torquing, building up boost, revving the engine to 5000rpm before dumping the clutch etc. 0-60mph uses the above techniques. 5-60mph does NOT use those techniques, and thus is a much more realistic indication as to how fast a car is IN THE REAL WORLD.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM

bmw is a convenient example bc they've been highlighted as what acura should be benchmarking, not by me. :thumbsup
A number of companies have been mentioned as benchmarks for Acura, not just BMW. I suspect your continued referenced to BMW has more to do with a desire to try to elicit an emotional response from several posters in this thread who are former Acura owners, but current BMW owners. It's a rather juvenile tactic, but I suspect (borrowing a phrase from a wise board member who shall remain nameless) that you would argue with yourself if you could. In other words, I'm not sure how much you actually believe in your arguments, but I'm quite sure you get some kind of thrill out of positing them.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah yes. This would explain why the successor of the NSX has been delayed since the Stone Age.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

A number of companies have been mentioned as benchmarks for Acura, not just BMW. I suspect your continued referenced to BMW has more to do with a desire to try to elicit an emotional response from several posters in this thread who are former Acura owners, but current BMW owners. It's a rather juvenile tactic, but I suspect (borrowing a phrase from a wise board member who shall remain nameless) that you would argue with yourself if you could. In other words, I'm not sure how much you actually believe in your arguments, but I'm quite sure you get some kind of thrill out of positing them.
I dunno...if he decided to talk about MINI or Infiniti, it wouldn't bother me one spit.

To be fair, BMW is more or less the benchmark for luxury cars these days. Mercedes-Benz, Audi and Lexus do have nice stuff but most comparisons of cars in OUR stratosphere seem to easily go against the 3er and 5er.

It's kinda been that flavor for years, IMO. I would not make that assumption of skd2k1...

Last edited by Yumcha; 04-22-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I dunno...if he decided to talk about MINI or Infiniti, it wouldn't bother me one spit.

To be fair, BMW is more or less the benchmark for luxury cars these days. Mercedes-Benz, Audi and Lexus do have nice stuff but most comparisons of cars in OUR stratosphere seem to easily go against the 3er and 5er.

It's kinda been that flavor for years, IMO. I would make that assumption of skd2k1...
Yes, well, "mentioning" is one thing..."harping" is another.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Fair enough. I think it's just perception since I'm not an owner and so, maybe you perceive it that way.

Still, can we seriously all agree that using BMW to benchmark Acura is a boat that has left the port awhile ago? I fail to see Honda targeting that market to be honest...the fight is against Lincoln and Buick these days.

And nothing wrong with that. Personally, as a Honda fanboi, I wish they'd aim higher...but, if they want to be "complacent"...whatever. I won't buy anything from them until they decide to do better.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by iforyou
realistic indication as to how fast a car is IN THE REAL WORLD.
Are you serious?

I wonder why TSX or any other Acura sedans were being selected as best performance car or drivers car.

Must be the brand name.

It's kinda been that flavor for years, IMO. I would not make that assumption of skd2k1...
Read his all posts again.

This.

Ah yes. This would explain why the successor of the NSX has been delayed since the Stone Age.
Another Acura car added to the Vapor list?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, hang on...I suppose you COULD argue that by being a MINI owner, I would be hypersensitive about BMW-this and BMW-that...

Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Read his all posts again.
Yeah, I skimmed them...and addressed, IMO, his flawed logic of bringing BMW into this debate at all in the post right above yours.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yes that was in response to the 20-100mph comment back then. Sorry I was away on vacation during the Easter holiday...may be that's why you don't remember what we were discussing about.

Of course of course, most consumers don't look at 0-60mph 5-60mph etc when making their car buying decisions. Most of them also don't care about 20-100mph since that's way above speed limit anyway.

This whole topic got brought up when Legend2TL brought up the peak hp figures of various cars in the TLX segment (page 208). oonowindoo then countered that by saying its low end torque that matters when it comes to real world performance. He concluded by saying FI engines are thus better in terms of real world efficiency and performance. He went on and said that the TLX 2.4 DCT might accelerate as fast as a A4 in 0-60mph, but for 20-100mph acceleration, it won't be close, and that the TLX will feel slower in every day driving.

In response to that, I said that from a roll, NA powered cars tend to be more responsive than turbocharged cars. Most car magazines show 5-60mph numbers as that takes the launch control, traction, etc away from the equation. That gives you REAL WORLD number as to how a car would do. I then posted numbers from various A4's and other cars to illustrate this point. Whether it's 5-60mph, 20-60mph, 40-80mph, you don't have the chance to build up the boost.

This is not about 0-60mph or 0 to whatever. This is about the difference between 0-60mph and 5-60mph. This is about how much slower a car is without brake torquing, building up boost, revving the engine to 5000rpm before dumping the clutch etc. 0-60mph uses the above techniques. 5-60mph does NOT use those techniques, and thus is a much more realistic indication as to how fast a car is IN THE REAL WORLD.
Let's not get into this because it is going to be the longest debate ever.

But FYI depends on the size of the turbo and the way the engine is setup. when you are going 20, 40, or 60, in the appropriate gear (assuming it is 6mt), the throttle response is immediate without any turbo lag.

Turbo lag is usually associated in lower RPM with small displacement engines with turbo that is too big. It is inevitable if the goal is to have high speed runs with big power. Most of the current production FI cars ATS, 3 series and etc.. have turbo that is so small that they barely qualify as FI just for 1 purpose - minimize any turbo lag to improve low end torque for better fuel consumption.

That is especially true nowadays with cars that have sport and Sport+ mode, where the throttle response feels like s2000 in 3rd at 5000 rpm.
RPhilMan1 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Go Giants

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/civictourer/
Old 04-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't need to elicit emotional responses, as that's happening already without any input from me. even the above post of yours is an emotional response, hence your attack on my person. isn't it ironic? I'd much rather have a conversation free of personal attacks and pop psychologizations, maybe then we could actually get somewhere. (there's also the fact that I've owned multiple bmws in the past)

back to topic: so tlx release is delayed, so what? bmw and a number of other manufacturers have done the same thing in the past, again, so what?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, I skimmed them...and addressed, IMO, his flawed logic of bringing BMW into this debate at all in the post right above yours.
remember, I didn't bring bmw into this debate originally.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Honda rebadged the Toyota Venza?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

remember, I didn't bring bmw into this debate originally.
Well, whoever brought in BMW to start, should never have. Seriously, use Buick or Lincoln to argue Acura's merits these days.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Go Giants

Honda rebadged the Toyota Venza?
I think it looks great. Maybe Ill ship one back.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 PM

I don't need to elicit emotional responses, as that's happening already without any input from me. even the above post of yours is an emotional response, hence your attack on my person. isn't it ironic? I'd much rather have a conversation free of personal attacks and pop psychologizations, maybe then we could actually get somewhere. (there's also the fact that I've owned multiple bmws in the past)
Nice deflection, but, no.

back to topic: so tlx release is delayed, so what? bmw and a number of other manufacturers have done the same thing in the past, again, so what?
We get it, you don't care. Some of us, however, see this as symptomatic of bigger problems, especially when it relates to the introduction of what is (arguably) the most important model in the last 10 years.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, whoever brought in BMW to start, should never have. Seriously, use Buick or Lincoln to argue Acura's merits these days.
that may be so, but turn about is fair play, no?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

He does not seems to get the fact that -

Being the benchmark does NOT mean it is the best.......5 is the bench mark to 10.. you can have cars that is better than the benchmark S5>335 or you can have cars that is below bench mark C350<335. That is all it means to be the benchmark.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-22-2014 at 04:51 PM.
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I think it looks great. Maybe Ill ship one back.
Hey, that Civic looks much funkier and cuter than TLX.

You should get one. Not sure it's worth shipping one back to US, but definitely a pretty cool car.
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
The actual release date doesn't really surprise me much, although they should have been upfront about it from the beginning.

For a period of time, Honda refused to put much money into R&D, so we were stuck with little to no powertrain changes or technologies. Now they are trying to catch up with all-new DCTs, 9AT, eSHAWD, 1.5T, 2.0T, and 3.5TT, so they have a lot on their plate to get right and reliable.

Last edited by MTEAZY; 04-22-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice deflection, but, no.
oh yeah, because personal attacks have a place in open minded debate.

We get it, you don't care. Some of us, however, see this as symptomatic of bigger problems, especially when it relates to the introduction of what is (arguably) the most important model in the last 10 years.
seems like you're looking for reasons at this point.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Go Giants

Hey, that Civic looks much funkier and cuter than TLX.

You should get one. Not sure it's worth shipping one back to US, but definitely a pretty cool car.
Could be a steering wheel issue.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, PERSONALLY, and obviously, it does not impact sdk2k1's perception -- which is what all this new debate is about, perception -- I FEEL that Acura's delay is a negative thing.

Don't announce something and then shortly after, postpone it because it only leads to negative posturing if anything. And that's all we're doing, posturing...but, none of it is POSITIVE stuff. We're speculating now if it is the drivetrain or the transmission or the computer or etc. etc.

Poor planning on Acura's part IMO.
ttribe (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
The actual release date doesn't really surprise me much, although they should have been upfront about it from the beginning.

For a period of time, Honda refused to put much money into R&D, so we were stuck with little to no powertrain changes or technologies. Now they are trying to catch up with all-new DCTs, 9AT, eSHAWD, 1.5T, 2.0T, and 3.5TT, so they have a lot on their plate to get right and reliable.
you know something that we don't?

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News