Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Originally Posted by qingcong
By the same token you have people dismissing a car simply because it doesn't have turbo or RWD.
I think your statement is something of an oversimplification. Even if it weren't, however, those are at least significant engineering features of a car model...not the badge, alone.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,090 Likes on 2,701 Posts
The CLA is a turd IMO, too. Don't care that it has a merc emblem on it.

We are dismissing this car because it does nothing. There is so much competition to this car that it's easy to turn a blind eye.

Acura was much more when they came on the scene. After the 3G tl and 1st gen tsx...it's been a downhill spiral of uninspiring or downright garbage designs. And a brand that no longer had any focus or vision.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
K900....I dont know how Hyundai can make $$ from cars like Equus and K900.

I would highly recommend anyone who hasn't been inside of a Equus to check it out in person. Sit in the front and sit in the back. Wow was an understatement.
Then you will question how can RLX and Equus cost roughly the same...
did you ever drive either one?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
This. There was a long time when, other than Porsche, I didn't like anything coming out of Germany. Nothing. I was totally on the H/A wagon for years and years...and then I wanted more performance than my TL could offer...then I drove an E60 M5...that changed everything...including my bank account balance, unfortunately.
guess you never drove an e36 m3 evo.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
K900....I dont know how Hyundai can make $$ from cars like Equus and K900.

I would highly recommend anyone who hasn't been inside of a Equus to check it out in person. Sit in the front and sit in the back. Wow was an understatement.
Then you will question how can RLX and Equus cost roughly the same...
^anything but acura, right? kia, chysler, hyundai, bmw, audi, infiniti, volvo...even honda, but nevar acura.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
did you ever drive either one?
I sat in one. that s it all i needed. There hasn't been a car that wowed me so much when you sit in one and then look at the window stickers.

With cars like that you shouldn't really pay too much attention to how fast you can turn the corner as long as it is not a Lincoln town car.

Different type of cars have different type of buyers. That is why the "smart buy" + MPG + SHAWD + best leg room in the class with smallest size marketing for RLX does not work.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by skd2k1
guess you never drove an e36 m3 evo.
Yeah, I've never really warmed to the e36 and at that point in my life I would have just (naively) dismissed anything German with a waive of the hand. Silly, I know.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Team Owner

No that is why i said 90%+ not 100%. FYI this FWD TLX does not SHAWD either.

you need someone like SSFTXX to sell you a car:
"why get other brands when you can have Superior ground clearance, skinny all season tires and 30mpg"

FYI, most of us are not Anti-Acura, only fanboyz will think that way. If the car is good then it is good, if it is mediocre then it is just that.

We have plenty of good things to say about MDX, 3G TL, 2G TL, Legend, NSX and Integra. So far every car we did not like has proven to be a failure for Acura: ZDX, ILX, 4G TL, RLX, RL.

TLX: i haven't seen 1 post from anyone that says TLX is ugly or as bad as 4G TL. Everyone is just saying Meh...
^anything but acura, right? kia, chysler, hyundai, bmw, audi, infiniti, volvo...even honda, but nevar acura.

when i was driving Acura, you probably didn't know what Acura is.

The fact that you can't accept other people are saying TLX is just Meh shows how narrow minded you are.

There are only CARS we (I) don't like, It has NOTHING to do with the BRAND. i can name mediocre or shitty cars from every brand you mentioned.

Never Acura? why should i? What has Acura done so differently to make me want to buy another CL, wait i mean TL? To me, besides SUV, they have been offering the same shit for the past 10 years while everyone else is improving.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-17-2014 at 06:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sarlacc (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Come back at us when Acura starts to make AWESOME cars.

TLX is "meh".

Not bad. Not good.

It's just meh.

Do you know what that means?

Meh?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
The CLA is a turd IMO, too. Don't care that it has a merc emblem on it.

We are dismissing this car because it does nothing. There is so much competition to this car that it's easy to turn a blind eye.

Acura was much more when they came on the scene. After the 3G tl and 1st gen tsx...it's been a downhill spiral of uninspiring or downright garbage designs. And a brand that no longer had any focus or vision.
CLA interior is constructed of rental fleet worthy material.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
CLA interior is constructed of rental fleet worthy material.
CLA is just .
Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
CLA is just .
you have the same interior, you forgot.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the dead giveaway here that it's just people spouting off is that this car hasn't even been reviewed, much less been driven by anyone outside of Acura. Not sure how anyone can dismiss this car already.

To sum it up, the criticism goes like this -

"needs RWD, needs 4wd, needs AWD, needs more HP oh wait it has enough HP, i mean it needs more torque, needs turbo, less gizmos, more gizmos, who cares about MPGs, needs to look more flashy, looks too flashy, wheels too big, wheels too small, it's not German"

If the measuring stick is how close it resembles a German luxury car, then I'm not sure why these people would bother with Acura.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 PM
I drive a Subata.

I think the dead giveaway here that it's just people spouting off is that this car hasn't even been reviewed, much less been driven by anyone outside of Acura. Not sure how anyone can dismiss this car already.

"needs RWD, needs 4wd, needs AWD, needs more HP oh wait it has enough HP, i mean it needs more torque, needs turbo, less gizmos, more gizmos, who cares about MPGs, needs to look more flashy, looks too flashy, wheels too big, wheels too small, it's not German"

If the measuring stick is how close it resembles a German luxury car, then I'm not sure why these people would bother with Acura.
I think the dead giveaway here is that you are a noob.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 TLX in The Lobby at Work

Its Really Awesome Looking - I'm Plsanning to buy the 2016 Model Already, I'm super excited about this car.

NICE !!!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The CLA is made in Hungary out of surplus Soviet-era plastics
cairo333 (09-23-2019)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

But that's okay. Girls still dig it like crazy.

awwwwwwwww it's cuteeeeee. OH DAMN it's a mercedes! omg i wanttt!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

I think it's safe to say that most of here want Honda/Acura to succeed and make a car that is appealing to us. Otherwise we wouldn't care, let alone discuss this.

In my car search, German cars didn't make the final cut. Nor did any new Honda product. I was considering an S2000, though. Consider that the last Honda/Acura I wanted was last made in 2009.

I am a big Honda fan, I just do not like Acura's current lineup. Maybe the Germans are doing something right. Everyone's value system and wants in a car are different.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Just read through the feature set and the Motor Trend report. Nice features overall. The new SH-AWD is what I was asking for, lighter. The styling is good, but milquetoasted from the very nice concept that I was drooling over.

In short, it seems better on paper than the outgoing TL and MUCH better than the TSX. I am not enamored of the drive trains, but the fact is that most people are not enthusiasts and don't care how fast it goes. I predict this car will sell better than the 4G TL, but not as well as the 3G.

BTW, I can't believe it's been over ten years since the 3G TL was released. I enjoyed being an early adopter when I picked mine up in 2003. It was soooooo awesome...I only wish now I'd picked it up in 6MT form.

Even so, I'm destined for an RLX hybrid, if they ever release the damn thing....that's become the worst vapor ware since the NSX.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-18-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Costco
I think it's safe to say that most of here want Honda/Acura to succeed and make a car that is appealing to us. Otherwise we wouldn't care, let alone discuss this.

Ummm I dunno, it seems any objective compliment I give of the TLX on here is met with "noob", "fanboy", "you ain't seen nothing till you sit in a BMW/Hyundai", "you must be blind", a sarcastic "cool", "you're the kind of idiot who's ruining Acura", things like that.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I think you're stretching that just a bit. Nice try, though.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Someone's gotta develop a thicker skin. I hate to say it, but being defensive about that sort of stuff is the epitome of being a 'noob'.
JS + XES (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
You know what other dealers don't have used cars in their lot? Saturn

You make it sound like that is a good thing proved that you have NO IDEA how the industry works.

You have to sell enough new cars to have enough used cars on the lot.
There is clear ratio of used to car to new car sales. Acura is far far better than BMW.
just look around 2011 and 2012 used TSX prices and compared to BMW 328i 2011 to 2012.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Ummm I dunno, it seems any objective compliment I give of the TLX on here is met with "noob", "fanboy", "you ain't seen nothing till you sit in a BMW/Hyundai", "you must be blind", a sarcastic "cool", "you're the kind of idiot who's ruining Acura", things like that.
Being that I currently own an Acura, a BMW, also a Mercedes, I'll throw my input in here about how I feel about them. Albeit they are all now considered older, I would definitely give the nod to BMW and Mercedes in terms of luxury and that feeling of solidness. The Acura in comparison feels pretty darn flimsy. Not to say that I don't love my Acura, its great, but I wouldn't objectively put it on par with my other cars. When I go someplace nice or to a big event, I typically drive the Mercedes.

Last edited by jwong77; 04-18-2014 at 01:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jwong77:
JS + XES (04-18-2014), qingcong (04-18-2014), ttribe (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
If you don't care about brand at all, try Honda accord. It has 90%+ of what the TL(X) has with $10k cheaper.
FWD TLX has advance package that even if $10k expensive than Accord touring will still have a lot of advantages like ELS music system, Milano leather with cooled seats, CMBS, much quieter interior, superior across the board performance. FWD TLX V6 is 300lbs lighter than RLX but with 9 speed transmission.

Much better shape than Accord as the vehicle seems taller with much larger wheel design.
the whole is more than sum of parts.
http://www.hondanews.com/channels/co...onal-auto-show
And we improved aerodynamic performance … with a 15 percent reduction in the CdA to best-in-class levels.
For the engine, we've increased torque by up to 15%, where the customer is really going to feel it.
We significantly increased the body's torsional rigidity and mounting-point stiffness, in some places by up to 100%.

We also focused on greatly reducing cabin noise by tightly sealing the body. This is flat-out the quietest midsize sedan we've ever made.

In addition to Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning and Lane Keeping Assist ... this new camera works in coordination with a new radar system to provide enhanced car-to-car and car-to-pedestrian collision mitigation.

This system also improves adaptive cruise control functionality, ...by controlling vehicle speed until the vehicle is completely stopped.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:11 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,090 Likes on 2,701 Posts
If you ever knew what Acura USED to put out vs the shit they are shoveling now AND the competition being stronger than ever...you might have a horse in this race.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, friends!
Why is there so much hate and disappointment for TLX?
I was afraid it will look like mazda6 or kia optima, but production car looks like acura, you couldn't mix up it with another model.
We may say that TLX is first really fine-looking car of new acura style, not amazing but good.

What is acura style? I looked on the TLX for some time and it reminds me.. of a some bird, like an eagle.
BMW has cat-grace design, Lexus looks shark-sharp and modern Acura is light like feathers, gives impression of freedom - freedom of illusions, freedom of problems. It's narrow jewel eyes looking far beyond the horizon, finding it's way.
It is not like other premium brands. Why premium must be always aggressive? Premium may be just noble and confident and still successful, like Lexus ES, Acura MDX. May be TLX will join their numbers.

cairo333 (09-23-2019)
Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
^ you have to realize that the views expressed here is by a very small % of the buying public that skews heavily toward car enthusiast. We have no idea how the "general" public will view the TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by biker:
Legend2TL (04-19-2014), neuronbob (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 04:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
^ you have to realize that the views expressed here is by a very small % of the buying public that skews heavily toward car enthusiast. We have no idea how the "general" public will view the TLX.
True. The unwashed public has no idea about FWD vs RWD, transmissions, DCT, V6 vs V8, etc. They just want features inside the car, decent fuel ecomomy, and a decent looking wrapper.

However, it used to be clear that enthusiasts were running the show at Honda/Acura instead of bean counters. That era ended the ten years ago IMO after the 2G RL's release. This is what many of us are bemoaning because many posting here became Acura enthusiasts in the 80's (me) and 90's, when Acura was the shit. Honda is on its way back now. Acura has a ways to go and the TLX is but a baby step. I hope they do eventually release an S model for the enthusiasts. I happen to be a Honda owner and shareholder so I WANT Honda to win.

Otherwise....Cadillac has won my enthusiast business twice already. Will it happen again?

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-18-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 AM
Pinky all stinky

I don't think anyone doubts this thing will be a seller. In fact, it might sell better than the 5g.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
if I could describe the TLX in one word; it would be just "nice"

your turn.
Describe the TLX in one word.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Pinky all stinky

"almost"
The following 3 users liked this post by phile:
Costco (04-18-2014), dom (04-18-2014), Sarlacc (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin W
Hi, friends!
Why is there so much hate and disappointment for TLX?
I was afraid it will look like mazda6 or kia optima, but production car looks like acura, you couldn't mix up it with another model.
We may say that TLX is first really fine-looking car of new acura style, not amazing but good.

What is acura style? I looked on the TLX for some time and it reminds me.. of a some bird, like an eagle.
BMW has cat-grace design, Lexus looks shark-sharp and modern Acura is light like feathers, gives impression of freedom - freedom of illusions, freedom of problems. It's narrow jewel eyes looking far beyond the horizon, finding it's way.
It is not like other premium brands. Why premium must be always aggressive? Premium may be just noble and confident and still successful, like Lexus ES, Acura MDX. May be TLX will join their numbers.

In all honesty, I think that appearance wise, it actually is pretty spot on for my expectations. It's very distinctly Acura and, with a little less wheel gap and the right wheels, has the potential to be a great looking car.

Most of my disappointment stems from Acura itself continuing to be so conservative with their engineering and subsequently putting out lackluster numbers that feel consistently middle of the pack. It is like they struck some gentlemen's agreement with the rest of the industry that they would play nice and not shake things up when in fact shaking everything to hell is precisely what they need to do.

The decision to announce the V6 version of the car with less than 300 hp was, in my opinion, a mistake. Being able to crow about having 300 hp and best in class highway fuel economy would have been a great marketing line. Trying the same thing with 290 hp, just somehow lacks the same kind of psychological punch.

For the I4, failing to do more to increase the engine's performance dramatically, especially with the addition of direct injection, feels a little like they did not fully bake the product before release. They will be putting out a motor that, especially compared to even mainstream brands, is significantly down on compression ratio but still requires premium. While most buyers may not even realize or care, it does annoy the heck out of me. However, what most buyers will see is the fact that this engine only makes 1 hp more than the Honda Civic Si. Acura needs to do more to distance its products from Honda's. A 10-15 hp gap would certainly help.

At the end of the day, I feel like the TLX will sell better than the 4G TL, but will not be able to replace the sales numbers for the TL and TSX combined. Acura may have shot itself in the foot again because as a 3-time TSX owner, I am seriously floundering on whether or not I will even give the TLX a serious look when it is released in the early summer. And with no wagon variant likely and no manual transmission yet on the horizon, there is little to keep my attention.

In summary, Acura is doing a fine job attracting new people to the brand, but it is bleeding away existing loyal customers at the same time. If it cannot stem the bleeding by giving us products like the ones we recall so fondly, it is going to have a hard time achieving any significant growth.
The following 3 users liked this post by CGTSX2004:
Costco (04-18-2014), dom (04-18-2014), JS + XES (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 600 Likes on 379 Posts
Any news on when the 9AT will make it to other models? Doesn't make sense that their middle car has a better transmission than their flagship model.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
I think the dead giveaway here is that you are a noob.
Obviously he's right if you have no real response other than to bring up post count.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
This is what many of us are bemoaning because many posting here became Acura enthusiasts in the 80's (me) and 90's, when Acura was the shit.

Yeah, I became a Honda/Acura fan in the 90s, but I think some people may be exaggerating their past. I'm not sure they were ever "the shit". For enthusiasts you had the Integra Type R and NSX which had groundbreaking qualities, but the sedans like the Vigor, Legend, TL 1G 2G 3G, while very good cars, were nothing that blew you away, very similar to this TLX.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I became a Honda/Acura fan in the 90s, but I think some people may be exaggerating their past. I'm not sure they were ever "the shit". For enthusiasts you had the Integra Type R and NSX which had groundbreaking qualities, but the sedans like the Vigor, Legend, TL 1G 2G 3G, while very good cars, were nothing that blew you away, very similar to this TLX.
Blasphemer! You must now write "Legend" on the blackboard 1000 times. Then drive one.
ttribe (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
No, here at at Acurazine we usually have a pretty damn good idea actually. See everything Acura has released since the 4G TL. Its easy to spot a dud. (Not that the TLX is a dud in the vein of the RLX and ILX). Expectations as enthusiasts don't mean 450HP and 0-60 in 2.1. We generally want what most of the buying public does. It's not rocket science.

Like CGTSX2004 just said. I think they'll have a hard time selling as many as the TL and TSX combined with this offering.

Last edited by dom; 04-18-2014 at 09:05 AM.
ttribe (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Obviously he's right if you have no real response other than to bring up post count.
Talk about a non sequitur.

Last edited by ttribe; 04-18-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Talk about a non sequitor.
Talk about spell check.

Calling a poster a noob is a great way to say "I don't have a real argument, but you're a noob, so at least there's that"

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News