Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Seriously, do you trust Acura to deliver on a digital gauge cluster that works? They can't even do an infotainment system right; what makes you think the gauges won't be all messed up as well?
Based on all the issues cropping up in my wife's 19 RDX infotainment I would avoid year 1. Her infotainment is now randomly hanging and rebooting. She really is quickly becoming anti-Acura.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:01 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Based on all the issues cropping up in my wife's 19 RDX infotainment I would avoid year 1. Her infotainment is now randomly hanging and rebooting. She really is quickly becoming anti-Acura.
There is an over the air update available now. We just did the update moments ago in the driveway and hopefully it will fix all of the issues it has been having.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I think the biggest issue with the infotainment at least for me was Carplay. I've all but stopped using Carplay and ever since then zero issues. Everything else works fine. I did do the recent update so we'll see if that fixes any bugs.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:46 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
I think the biggest issue with the infotainment at least for me was Carplay. I've all but stopped using Carplay and ever since then zero issues. Everything else works fine. I did do the recent update so we'll see if that fixes any bugs.
That sucks. Having Carplay is a minimum requirement for me now after having it in the TLX. I don't think I could settle with not using it.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 06:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
There is an over the air update available now. We just did the update moments ago in the driveway and hopefully it will fix all of the issues it has been having.
Yeah it popped up on her car today and she applied it, let’s see if that helps. Makes me think this software is made by Microsoft with all the bugs and bug fixes that introduce more bugs.
Christopher. (09-04-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
That sucks. Having Carplay is a minimum requirement for me now after having it in the TLX. I don't think I could settle with not using it.
I am the same way. My next car whenever that is must have Apple car play
Christopher. (09-04-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
+3 on CarPlay as a requirement. I no longer pay for satellite radio in the TLX because I just use the XM app on my phone, and I use Waze. I have an unlimited data plan nd for my short communte, I'm not going to use lots of data monthly.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Car Play auto update have WAZE on the screen now. Use Waze, Pandora, Amazon Prime, iTunes most of the time.

Can only get voice for WAZE on the BMW. They want a few hundred for the app. Can still get my music through the system so its a no buy for me. The little black button between the stripes is my satellite antenna.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-30-2019 at 03:49 AM.
badbart (09-05-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Unless you're paying my next car, my opinion is simply mine to share. I'm looking for changes that interest me to sign the check. So far, nothing concrete from Acura either so no idea why you're that excited. Only thing for sure is maybe a sexy outside and turbo V6 for probably well over 45k US. We shall see about the affordable smart luxury once Monroney sticker shows up, just look at RLX sales.

Thank you, Sir, for your logical and kind response! I absolutely respect your opinion and keep sharing. We all know how genuine and unbiased you are towards Acuras. Enjoy the new TLX TYPE S concept for now and the great success of RDX.

Cheers!
Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
Hate to say I want them to rush but I really need them to hurry. I've got a 2015 IS350 F-Sport with 46K that is actively trying to fall apart on me. Wanted to replace the battery at the last oil change (Pass), then just took it in this morning for no audio, hello fried amplifier and $700. Apparently Toyota reliability isn't what it once was. Never had issues like this when I had an Accord and the wife hasn't had these crazy issues with any of her 3 RDXs.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
+3 on CarPlay as a requirement. I no longer pay for satellite radio in the TLX because I just use the XM app on my phone, and I use Waze. I have an unlimited data plan nd for my short communte, I'm not going to use lots of data monthly.
Due to buggy nature of Carplay on our RDX I usually just use bluetooth to stream music from my phone. Only time I find Carplay to be advantageous is when I want to use it for route/traffic guidance over navigation in car. I thought Carplay would be gamechanger but it's really mostly a nothingburger.
Nexx (09-09-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I only use Bluetooth for my music. I got like 4k songs on my SD card. Never used carplay, android auto whatever that shit is. Sirius if I want to switch to the radio
Old 08-31-2019, 02:06 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P
I only use Bluetooth for my music. I got like 4k songs on my SD card. Never used carplay, android auto whatever that shit is. Sirius if I want to switch to the radio
Same. I only use SXM or stream via YouTube.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:18 AM
AZ Community Team

The truth is we all get excited about these gadgets but in reality we don’t use them as often as we wish. I have said that before, we represent a very tiny buyers of Acura. There are 98%+ of buyers that don’t buy car for the reasons we buy.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
The truth is we all get excited about these gadgets but in reality we don’t use them as often as we wish. I have said that before, we represent a very tiny buyers of Acura. There are 98%+ of buyers that don’t buy car for the reasons we buy.
seems like everyone wants carplay tho

Millennials and boomers alike...except for makp and MM

they sound poor
Old 08-31-2019, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Originally Posted by justnspace

they sound poor
I think that this is the future. How many people use AA/CP over the factory Navigation? Honda got smart and took Navi out of the lineup except for the Touring trim (at least with the Accord) and I think that this will be the future, as who wants to use a factory system that is already outdated and doesn't work as well as what our phones can do?
badbart (09-05-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
It's all about variety, right? Depends on the driver and what they are attracted to in a car.

I love gadgets and techie stuff which is why when I bought the Infiniti FX50 and now, the Audi, one of the immediate draws was the features...That being said, my wife does not care as much for those and for her, it's a "oh neat" thing and she rarely engages any of the tech toys. As long as she's comfortable and feels safe, it is all she looks for. My Mom is the complete other end of the spectrum compared to me. The car can be fully loaded and after 1-2 years of ownership, she'd still not know how to use the Nav.
technocrat (05-22-2020)
Old 08-31-2019, 09:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Yumcha
It's all about variety, right? Depends on the driver and what they are attracted to in a car.

I love gadgets and techie stuff which is why when I bought the Infiniti FX50 and now, the Audi, one of the immediate draws was the features...That being said, my wife does not care as much for those and for her, it's a "oh neat" thing and she rarely engages any of the tech toys. As long as she's comfortable and feels safe, it is all she looks for. My Mom is the complete other end of the spectrum compared to me. The car can be fully loaded and after 1-2 years of ownership, she'd still not know how to use the Nav.
100%! Very well said!
Old 09-01-2019, 12:43 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by justnspace

J

they sound poor
I like it simple so that it never outdates you can't say the same for yourself because your nav disc was cancelled lol

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I think that this is the future. How many people use AA/CP over the factory Navigation? Honda got smart and took Navi out of the lineup except for the Touring trim (at least with the Accord) and I think that this will be the future, as who wants to use a factory system that is already outdated and doesn't work as well as what our phones can do?
Than how did I see a sport with nav in the head unit?

Originally Posted by Yumcha

Old 09-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I like it simple so that it never outdates you can't say the same for yourself because your nav disc was cancelled lol

Than how did I see a sport with nav in the head unit?

Aftermarket or you were looking at CP/AA or someone did something funky and upgraded the factory system on their own, as Sport does not come with Navi. But don't take my word for it:

"Understanding most people have smartphones with excellent navigation, Honda implements Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on all trim lines except the lowest, and doesn’t force you to take Honda’s navigation except on the top-line Touring, where it’s part of the base price. It’s optional on the Accord EX-L at $1,000, which is twice what it’s worth, although Garmin is as good as on-board navigation can be."

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-display-audio

And from my research the 2019 EX-L does not have the Navi option anymore, have to get the Touring to get it.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:25 PM
Null and proud of it

Aftermarket or you were looking at CP/AA or someone did something funky and upgraded the factory system on their own, as Sport does not come with Navi. But don't take my word for it:

"Understanding most people have smartphones with excellent navigation, Honda implements Android Auto and Apple CarPlay on all trim lines except the lowest, and doesn’t force you to take Honda’s navigation except on the top-line Touring, where it’s part of the base price. It’s optional on the Accord EX-L at $1,000, which is twice what it’s worth, although Garmin is as good as on-board navigation can be."

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-display-audio

And from my research the 2019 EX-L does not have the Navi option anymore, have to get the Touring to get it.

Hmmm.... Ok...

It just looked like a standard Google map so it was probably CarPlay.

I just perfer having that map hardware/software straight into the car. Needing to use my phone in conjunction seems a bit odd to me. Also, it seems much less reliable.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmm.... Ok...

I just perfer having that map hardware/software straight into the car. Needing to use my phone in conjunction seems a bit odd to me. Also, it seems much less reliable.
Found over time Waze on my phone is a better map system then any BMW nav system I have had. Real Time warnings about LEO's hiding in the bushes is worth more then you can imagine. Had six or seven warnings on my way home from the beach Saturday.

Was able to maintain a solid 75mph average @ 32 mpg with long stretches at 90 mph to overcome the local city traffic at both ends of the trip. 360 WHP was good for passing boat trailers & motorhomes without any excitement. The new 3 ton Suburban Black with 420 bhp sucked down 93 octane at a rate of 18 MPG ouch!!.

That said was interesting to see the 4X4 Behemoth also running on WAZE instead of the factory maps hang in my mirror for almost 200 miles. Carplay puts the maps on your main screen.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-02-2019 at 11:56 PM.
ESHBG (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm.... Ok...

I disagree with the reliability part, as with Google Maps you can download maps so you don't even need cell service anymore.

For me it comes down to rapid advancement with technology and a cell phone will be with the curve while factory Navi will typically lag way behind. And let's say the Navi option is $1000, I would rather buy a top of the line phone (and probably still have money left over).

To each their own and if you prefer factory Navi I can understand that (especially the integration part) but I bet it vanishes sooner than later, at least in its current form.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I disagree with the reliability part, as with Google Maps you can download maps so you don't even need cell service anymore.

For me it comes down to rapid advancement with technology and a cell phone will be with the curve while factory Navi will typically lag way behind. And let's say the Navi option is $1000, I would rather buy a top of the line phone (and probably still have money left over).

To each their own and if you prefer factory Navi I can understand that (especially the integration part) but I bet it vanishes sooner than later, at least in its current form.
Its moving along. The WAZE map comes up on the main screen in the new Suburban but I only get voice integrated on the BMW 440. In the 440 I load both maps & use the BMW for visuals (HUD & Screen) & the phone for voice instructions. If the voice disagrees with the 440 I go with the voice & the 440 self corrects to my new route.

Sports car gets WAZE on the screen. WAZE is very current with breakdowns, junk in the road, speed traps, traffic backups & work around routes etc all in real time.
ESHBG (09-05-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I typically would use Waze or Google Maps through my Apple Car Play. However if driving in a different city, I would tend to use se the Acura Navigation with the voice instructions and the turn indicators provided in the Multi-Use display.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:51 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I typically would use Waze or Google Maps through my Apple Car Play. However if driving in a different city, I would tend to use se the Acura Navigation with the voice instructions and the turn indicators provided in the Multi-Use display.
Maybe I'm not following but wouldn't Waze or Google maps guide you audibly and show turn instructions in the upper screen also? Or is it just a preference at that point stock vs 3rd party Navi?
neuronbob (09-11-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 03:23 AM
Null and proud of it

I wouldn't buy a car without it.

Kinda thiking of getting away from phones. Or atleast, using them too much.

Mine never work correctly. Always crashing and stuff.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe I'm not following but wouldn't Waze or Google maps guide you audibly and show turn instructions in the upper screen also? Or is it just a preference at that point stock vs 3rd party Navi?
Yes & no. You can get WAZE on the upper screen in some cars but not all cars. The FORD gets both Google & WAZE on the main screen with their audio. The Cobra gets anything I want on the screen.

My BWW only gets the factory maps on the main screen & HUD. It does get the audio from the other systems through the cars soundsystem. I can & do get that audio at the same time as the BMW audio. No real commonality or standardization yet.

Have not seen the new G series but it does offer the Apple system now which my car does not. Key to me is will it allow WAZE to show on the HUD. If not would not get Carplay as they charge for it.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
With the talk transitioning a bit to technology, I'd like to add that I'd be really happy/impressed to see a USB-C port in the new Acura. Mercedes has it in the A-Class and Chevy even has it in the Blazer.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I use Google Maps instead of the factory nav, via CarPlay. If I recall, you can activate voice prompts via your phone, and they play through the car's audio system. I haven't turned it on because I prefer the visual prompts on the upper screen, easy to see.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I use Google Maps instead of the factory nav, via CarPlay. If I recall, you can activate voice prompts via your phone, and they play through the car's audio system. I haven't turned it on because I prefer the visual prompts on the upper screen, easy to see.
I want wireless Android Auto in my next car. Phone battery life is getting great to be able to handle wireless Android Auto and a few cars already have it, but it needs to be more mainstream.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

You are correct but you don't get the visual turn prompts directly in front of you on the Acura system's MID display, which can be useful for tricky locations in new cities. Not a huge difference, more of a convenience.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

You are correct but you don't get the visual turn prompts directly in front of you on the Acura system's MID display, which can be useful for tricky locations in new cities. Not a huge difference, more of a convenience.
Too funny because i totally forgot that was a feature on the stock Navi. Have used it maybe twice since using Carplay. Good point.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Back to the thread lol!

Any news or info as when we will see the new Acura? At least the base model. We all know that the Type S will be out later next year.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Was at my dealer today and the Sales Manager who I have known for 11 years said they really don't know much beyond what we can all see online. He did say that the non Type S models will likely be the 2.4 and the 3.5, although this is conjecture only. Lots of issues with the 4 turbo, particularly with the CRVs
Old 09-14-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Was at my dealer today and the Sales Manager who I have known for 11 years said they really don't know much beyond what we can all see online. He did say that the non Type S models will likely be the 2.4 and the 3.5, although this is conjecture only. Lots of issues with the 4 turbo, particularly with the CRVs
To clarify - he said the non Type S models won't have turbo engines? I'm not sure I believe that given the CRV and RDX and Accord already went to a turbo.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
To clarify - he said the non Type S models won't have turbo engines? I'm not sure I believe that given the CRV and RDX and Accord already went to a turbo.
His comments were not based on any absolute facts but rather his opinion based on some issues with the Honda turbo as mentioned. The application in the RDX seems fine, but perhaps they will wait another year before another change to the non Type S TLXs. Perhaps caution and focusing on the Type S this coming year is a prudent strategy.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I'm pretty sure the inside scoop is 2.0 Turbo for the non Type S TLX. 272hp just like the RDX supposedly. Type S will be turbo 6. HP unknown but speculated to be at least 370. Also, the turbo issues affected the 1.5 T engine and not the 2.0 T if I'm not mistaken. The oil dilution problem that is.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by a35tl
I'm pretty sure the inside scoop is 2.0 Turbo for the non Type S TLX. 272hp just like the RDX supposedly. Type S will be turbo 6. HP unknown but speculated to be at least 370. Also, the turbo issues affected the 1.5 T engine and not the 2.0 T if I'm not mistaken. The oil dilution problem that is.
That's what i thought as well. Perhaps the dealers really don't know or were told to keep some of the changes quiet, or they will wait a year to do the complete non Type S redo. I'm thinking the smooth and bulletproof 3.5 would be more attractive with a better transmission.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Thanks for the info guys.

I spoke to my “friend” who works at the Acura dealer and he said Honda/Acura never reveal any info to employees. He has been there for more than a decade.

However, he did say based on their internal discussions, the base model will be very similar to the RDX. He assumes around 280HP and around 300 HP.
Type S will be around 370 HP but will be out end of summer 2020. In addition, he mentioned something interesting about the MDX. He said the MDX will be a beast. He had enough info/knowledge to share like the new MDX will have a lot of high end features such as air suspension and etc. He said Acura is investing a lot in the new MDX.

All this is speculations and assumptions. I highly doubt anyone has a solid answer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
A Fancy Honda (10-02-2019), mapleloaf (09-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)