Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
The PMC edition tlx is stickered at $50k. I was wondering if the TLS will break $55.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I wish the TLX could have an option for the NSX rims. No?
Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
350 units is nothing. They will sell it at their desired price, believe me.

We represent probably 1% of the buyers and there are 1000s of buyers who don’t even watch a single review before buying a car. I am sure people
will be impressed by the colour and buy on the spot

you are probably right. I would never spend 50k on current generation TLX
Old 08-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
The concept looks amazing and I'm going to hold off until we get more information on the new TLX but does anyone have an educated guess on when we may see a production or prototype (As they called it for the RDX) of the new TLX?
Old 08-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
I’ve heard January but no idea how truthful that is, just something I’ve seen floating around
The following 2 users liked this post by sockr1:
Acura_Dude (08-19-2019), CollinR4 (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
you are probably right. I would never spend 50k on current generation TLX
Me neither. It's just too late. Now even if you need a car desperately, it's worth the wait for the new TLX. I know the Type S is away at least 10-12 months. But the normal TLX will be solid as well.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
You say that as if it's a bad thing. I love the "muscle car" look in a sexy 4 door Acura TLX Type S Concept.
The New Camero is not that great looking and it's nearly impossible to see out of it. Obviously this won't have those issues since it's not a Coupe.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:03 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
I’ve heard January but no idea how truthful that is, just something I’ve seen floating around
January would be a good guess. Production RDX debut at the NY Auto Show, so production TLX debut at NY Auto Show is plausible.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:27 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
January would be a good guess. Production RDX debut at the NY Auto Show, so production TLX debut at NY Auto Show is plausible.
Sorry, made a mistake. Should have said NAIAS instead of NY Auto Show.

EDIT: Geez, apparently I can't get my facts straight. The final protype of the RDX was shown at NAIAS. Which pretty much looked like the production model sans the dinky mirrors. The NY Auto Show in April is when we saw the production RDX.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 08-19-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:42 PM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4
The concept looks amazing and I'm going to hold off until we get more information on the new TLX but does anyone have an educated guess on when we may see a production or prototype (As they called it for the RDX) of the new TLX?

Most likely the LA Auto Show at the end of November and the MDX at the Chicago Auto show considering the Detroit Auto Show has been moved to the summer starting next year.
The following 2 users liked this post by BGR:
CollinR4 (08-19-2019), neuronbob (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4
If they use a car show, as they usually have, we are looking at either November or January as the next 2 opportunities.
The following users liked this post:
CollinR4 (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:13 PM
BGR
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
If they use a car show, as they usually have, we are looking at either November or January as the next 2 opportunities.
There is no car show in January anymore.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Just saw on instastories the chief designer was answering some questions about the car. Man if you read this Ben, job well done Sir. You folks did an amazing job with this car. I challenge you to be sure to include details in the production model and if not add some to this version. For me the front bumper is a selling point, and the brembos as well. A CD player would be great as well because sometimes I just want to pluck some of my old CDs in and listen to them just like I did in my 94 legend and still do in my 05 TL. It was even a deal breaker for my wife's mother. They were about to get a blue RDX but they learned it doesn't have a cd player so they went with the lexus nx. And you don't want that to happen. So include these details. Details are important. Make sure the interior has the red seat option. That was the selling point for us when we decided to buy the RDX, it was the red seats. Throw some carbon fiber in there. Someone will probably buy it because it has a carbon fiber diffuser. We all thank you very much. and remember...the details.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
He also stated that horsepower numbers will be IMPRESSIVE. With that statement, I'm thinking this thing will push 400hp. Anything less than 350 is not impressive.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:22 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by dmski
He also stated that horsepower numbers will be IMPRESSIVE. With that statement, I'm thinking this thing will push 400hp. Anything less than 350 is not impressive.
Good catch. I went back for another listen and the words '...promise it will be impressive' came out of his mouth.

Allright so there we have it! 400+ off the showroom floor.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Reminder that not a single one of you have seen a single spec on this vehicle. Recall the messaging during the launch of the all new TLX for 2015:

The TLX, which combines sports-sedan dynamic proportion, premium luxury refinement and super-handling performance, is the star of a 360-degree marketing campaign under the theme “It’s that kind of thrill.”
“The TLX delivers a thrill like no other, and the marketing effort delivers that message front and center in an emotionally engaging way,” said Michael Accavitti, Senior Vice President and General Manager for the Acura division.
“It’s not like we have a bad reputation that we need to overcome,” Acura brand manager Mike Accavitti told Automotive News. “It’s just we have a nondescript reputation.”

Well, now Acura pretty much does have a bad reputation to overcome with the 1st Gen TLX, plus Acura already proved they totally missed the mark on what they promised versus what they delivered. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on me...

So forgive me if I expect the 2nd Gen TLX to be a totally dulled down version of the concept, which by the way, looks pretty much like the 1st Gen MMA. Acura will figure out a way to incorporate tacky body kits and spoilers, vibrations, auto engine idle stop, traction control, etc etc. Maybe they'll even throw in a ZF9!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
Reminder that not a single one of you have seen a single spec on this vehicle. Recall the messaging during the launch of the all new TLX for 2015:

The TLX, which combines sports-sedan dynamic proportion, premium luxury refinement and super-handling performance, is the star of a 360-degree marketing campaign under the theme “It’s that kind of thrill.”
“The TLX delivers a thrill like no other, and the marketing effort delivers that message front and center in an emotionally engaging way,” said Michael Accavitti, Senior Vice President and General Manager for the Acura division.
“It’s not like we have a bad reputation that we need to overcome,” Acura brand manager Mike Accavitti told Automotive News. “It’s just we have a nondescript reputation.”

Well, now Acura pretty much does have a bad reputation to overcome with the 1st Gen TLX, plus Acura already proved they totally missed the mark on what they promised versus what they delivered. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on me...

So forgive me if I expect the 2nd Gen TLX to be a totally dulled down version of the concept, which by the way, looks pretty much like the 1st Gen MMA. Acura will figure out a way to incorporate tacky body kits and spoilers, vibrations, auto engine idle stop, traction control, etc etc. Maybe they'll even throw in a ZF9!
Gotta love your negativity on the TLX. I don't blame you because they were based on your past horrible experiences. But I think the direction of the new TLX should be based on their most recent release which the all new RDX. The RDX is promising for me minus the reported infotainment bug/problem (I do not have any first hand experience on the problem). They even brought back the SH-AWD. The interior looks a hundred times better than the rest of the Acura line up. Long story long, I'd try to be more positive that Acura is finally back on track.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:12 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by edmua6
Gotta love your negativity on the TLX. I don't blame you because they were based on your past horrible experiences. But I think the direction of the new TLX should be based on their most recent release which the all new RDX. The RDX is promising for me minus the reported infotainment bug/problem (I do not have any first hand experience on the problem). They even brought back the SH-AWD. The interior looks a hundred times better than the rest of the Acura line up. Long story long, I'd try to be more positive that Acura is finally back on track.
I'm just pointing out that only promises made and shiny objects shown to date. No specs or anything tangible that a passionate driver would want to know. It's okay to be excited, but these people saying "sign me up!" or oogling it like a teenage boy watching an episode of Baywatch is silly to read.

You don't even know if they're back on track yet - they haven't rolled a single new TLX off the production line. You've seen nothing but sheet metal. I know intelligent forum users here will at least wait to see specs, drive it and maybe even let C&D or Motor Trend review it. The smartest of you might even heed your own advice and wait until after the first production year to get a Type S, lest you want a new transmission or something. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

My TLX may have put me through the wringer in the first few months of ownership, but it's still gorgeous, fun to drive and has been great to me since then - knock on wood. The only reasons about which I have left to be negative are the expressway shake and tranny, which remind me every single drive they will never get better. I hang out here because I love cars and the info here is too valuable to pass. I can thank this forum for a new transmission, free road force balancing and all sorts of other good tips, tricks and fixes.

Last edited by someguy11; 08-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
Most likely the LA Auto Show at the end of November and the MDX at the Chicago Auto show considering the Detroit Auto Show has been moved to the summer starting next year.
I agree. Based on what I'm hearing, the car's going to be released by the end of Q1 of 2020, so an LA Auto Show showing of the production ready TLX is realistic.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Given that they are going to release it with brand new turbo engine and a proper tranny this car should live up to the hype. If not, I'm done with Acura. There are a lot of options out there.
Christopher. (08-26-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
This is probably the closest thing to how the actual production version will look like.
This will probably be production TLX ... Type S will simply be another level up on performance as well as headlights, taillights, performance, powertrain etc.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:22 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by rl015
This will probably be production TLX ... Type S will simply be another level up on performance as well as headlights, taillights, performance, powertrain etc.
If it were, they would have called it the TLX concept. They didn't go.

Take the cool looking stuff and replace some of it with Accord parts and you'll get the next TLX
Old 08-20-2019, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Just saw on instastories the chief designer was answering some questions about the car. Man if you read this Ben, job well done Sir. You folks did an amazing job with this car. I challenge you to be sure to include details in the production model and if not add some to this version. For me the front bumper is a selling point, and the brembos as well. A CD player would be great as well because sometimes I just want to pluck some of my old CDs in and listen to them just like I did in my 94 legend and still do in my 05 TL. It was even a deal breaker for my wife's mother. They were about to get a blue RDX but they learned it doesn't have a cd player so they went with the lexus nx. And you don't want that to happen. So include these details. Details are important. Make sure the interior has the red seat option. That was the selling point for us when we decided to buy the RDX, it was the red seats. Throw some carbon fiber in there. Someone will probably buy it because it has a carbon fiber diffuser. We all thank you very much. and remember...the details.
Do you have a link to this article? I've Googled "instastories Type S" and nothing came up.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
There is no car show in January anymore.
Oh right then I guess November or Chicago, isn’t that February. I wonder when they plan on releasing it. With looming recession might be good to get it out sooner than later.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by a35tl
Do you have a link to this article? I've Googled "instastories Type S" and nothing came up.
No, this was a string of video clips that acura posted on that Instagram page that was only visible for 24 hours and it disappeared. My wife missed it too. I had sent her to see it but it had already disappeared when she went to look.
a35tl (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 08:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Chicago Auto Show: The Nation's Largest Auto Show

Feb 6-17, 2020. I think Acura will reveal it at this auto show.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 AM
BGR
Instructor

I see several back and forth comments on whether this concept is the next TLX or not. I think the reason Acura termed it the Type-S Concept was to introduce various attributes of the Type-S nameplate in general across the line which may include the better brakes tires etc. Acura essentially started with the next gen TLX and added some funky thinks to it like larger wheels and tires and called it a concept.

In the press release the first bullet mentions the concept will heavily influence the 2nd gen TLX Type S. In addition, Jon Ikeda, an Acura exec, specifically said he feels like pieces are coming together for Acura is and those who have worked the last 4-5 years know this best. When he says that about the last 5 years, he’s not talking about the concept, but the TLX Type S. It doesn’t take that long to build a concept, but it does take approximately 5 years to develop a car.

If you go back to the Car and Driver article from March, it mentioned Acura would introduce a production-ready concept at Pebble Beach and it would be the sportiest car they’ve ever produced. If you go back, Acura used the same term-production ready for their 2014 MDX. The article also mentioned the TLX and MDX would be introduced by the end of this year/early next year so the timing all lines up perfectly.

Also consider this….would Acura spend the time, money and resources to build a concept just months before a TLX would be revealed? They wouldn’t… Toyota did the same thing with the 19 RAV4. At the LA Auto Show they called it a FT-AC concept and just months later at the NY Auto show it was essentially a RAV4.

It’s also not a coincidence that the day after Acura shows us pictures of the concept that we see two separate instances where the TLX is testing for the first time with production headlights and taillights as the cat is now out of the bag. There are other pics online of the TLX testing in Hollywood late last week with production lights. Prior to last week there were mainly test mules that were hiding under the current gen TLX design. I’m not saying the design won’t tone down some, but you’re essentially looking at the next gen TLX.
a35tl (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 AM
BGR
Instructor

Chicago Auto Show: The Nation's Largest Auto Show

Feb 6-17, 2020. I think Acura will reveal it at this auto show.
This would be too late if they are going to go on sale by end of Q1 as many dealers have stated and they still would have reviewers that would drive the car at least a month before debut with an embargo. The Car and Driver article also said either the MDX or TLX was on schedule to debut by the end of this year and one early next year. It would have to be the LA Auto Show late November. Acura still has to debut the MDX which is also going on sale around the same time next year.
At this point we have LA (Nov) Chicago (Feb) and NY (April). Two of these should have Acura debuts.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:47 AM
BGR
Instructor

Highlights:

Concept closely previews the next-gen TLX.

Some elements are reserved specifically for Type S models like the diamond mesh grille.

They are looking at bringing the carbon trim to production or setting Type S apart with piano black exterior bits

Type S wheels should be a plus one size compared to the A-Spec and exterior styling will differentiate the two as well.

A real performance upgrade (obviously)

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...ign-interview/

Last edited by BGR; 08-21-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 AM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by dmski
Anyone think that electrification will be involved? Seems to be where the auto world is heading.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Anyone think that electrification will be involved? Seems to be where the auto world is heading.
I just think Acura isn't there yet. At best, Hybrid! I might be wrong.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:22 PM
There are four lights!

I just think Acura isn't there yet. At best, Hybrid! I might be wrong.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Should have said electric engines like their Sport Hybrid. V6T with one or two electric engines would be interesting.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:11 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Should have said electric engines like their Sport Hybrid. V6T with one or two electric engines would be interesting.
Yup, if they set it up to get rid of any turbo lag that would be even better.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
Really looking forward to this car.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Honestly, it's very possible Acura have a version of sport hybrid for TLX.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:23 PM
tehLEGOman

The thread has earned over 43,000 views. Look at everyone paying attention!!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:11 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Forgive if this is an old YouTube:

9SpeedTran (08-24-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
The thread has earned over 43,000 views. Look at everyone paying attention!!
You do know don't you that it doesn't mean the views are from 43,000 different people, right?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...pe-s-spy-shots

This article refers to a twin turbo 3.5L V6 with snarky looking exhaust outlets. Any validity to that? Also the brakes look bigger as well as the tires.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...pe-s-spy-shots

This article refers to a twin turbo 3.5L V6 with snarky looking exhaust outlets. Any validity to that? Also the brakes look bigger as well as the tires.
The Mule in that article closely resembles the current gen TLX. I wouldn’t take anything in the article seriously.

Current Gen TLX

Old Type S Mule

Current Type S Mule

Last edited by Kinuto; 08-23-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Shadow2056 (01-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)