Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
Curious why these upset you. One we've had in the J35 since the early 2000's and the 3.0T has VVT which is most of what VTEC is. Don't want to get to technical about it just curious why if you otherwise liked the numbers that lack of VTEC and just standard VVT is a deal breaker.
Acura did not add VTEC partially to have a compact head and partially because the twin-scroll turbo having better response(spooling) by design, so VTEC is less crucial here than on the I-4 single-scroll. The purpose of VTEC on turbo engine is the same as the old days, in short.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:21 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

carbon fiber trim looks amazing!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
I was going to say the opposite. LOL! I don't care for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by BOWA41:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-23-2021), Camaro194 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:18 PM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
While passing the local dealer this evening I noticed they had a Tiger Eye Pearl/Orchid demo unit sitting in front so I decided to pop in and check it out, despite the dealer being closed. Don't usually stray from the 3G section but figured you folks would appreciate the pics.

Pretty impressed; I think it's very attractive. I noticed it has the carbon trunk lip in addition to carbon near the exhaust cutouts (didn't notice until looking back at the pics; checkout the valve). This one also appeared to have gotten light window tints, maybe 75%, as the window switches on the interior had "Do Not Touch" labels on them and the edging was noticeable. Exterior color is interesting, although I'd love to see one in white.
The following 6 users liked this post by mb.3g:
a35tl (06-24-2021), BOWA41 (06-24-2021), mapleloaf (06-25-2021), one4all (06-27-2021), sonyfever (06-23-2021), Terdbath (06-24-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Acura did not add VTEC partially to have a compact head and partially because the twin-scroll turbo having better response(spooling) by design, so VTEC is less crucial here than on the I-4 single-scroll. The purpose of VTEC on turbo engine is the same as the old days, in short.
^^^^ Correction: is not the same as in the old days
Old 06-23-2021, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know, the CF trims look a bit tacked on. And I believe (from the installation manual) that they are indeed tacked on over the original metal trims.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I don't know, the CF trims look a bit tacked on. And I believe (from the installation manual) that they are indeed tacked on over the original metal trims.
it’s not tacked on. The instillation shows them removing the old pieces.
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
Nexx (06-24-2021), sonyfever (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I test drove one this morning. I went to the gym right after, so I've got post-nut clarity rather than being giddy over having just driven it. The bare bones basics?

This is a great car that will be more than you could ask for in a daily driver. Acura did a very good job with this and they'll sell plenty. Overall, a very good package.

So, the specifics. It was a short test drive, but I made the mistake of letting them now that I'm not exactly looking to put anything down today. So, essentially a tire kicker, but they still let me take the car out and drive it, which I was grateful for. The dealer I went to had it in White with Orchid interior. Initially, I really didn't like white on the other trims of the TLX. If I were to get the Type-S, white would certainly be on top of the list. I don't know if it's the additional styling cues or what, but I didn't think the car had odd proportions anymore. The car overall looked very appealing. It's not over the top, but the subtle changes definitely make the vehicle much more aesthetically pleasing.

Salesman handed me the key and it was nice to see the remote start button on there. I didn't realize this going in, as it's not standard on the RDX. Apparently, it is on the TLX-S. When I opened the door I was surprised to see the Orchid interior. It's definitely nice. It's not too white that it will be distracting or blinding, nor do I think it will get crazy dirty looking quickly. It's an off white ... maybe I would go so far as to call it "french vanilla white". It's absolutely a nice option, but I wouldn't spec a white car with that interior, but that's just me. If you get the car in red, blue or pussy-cat orange, it's definitely worth considering.

The flat-bottom steering wheel feels great. Gimmicky? Maybe, but I did like the feel of it. Steering was easy in Normal and Sport with good feel and responsiveness. Sport+ makes things a little tougher (tighter). We left the parking lot and it was clear that this was going to be a guided test drive, which I wasn't thrilled about, but again, I can't really blame them as they knew I wasn't currently serious about buying the car. The car had less than 30 miles on it and had been driven before me as the temp gauge was almost at operating temps. Unfortunately, there wasn't much I could do as far as testing its handling abilities, but from everything seen so far, that's not an area of concern for the car. What I can comment on is the overall ride experience. Coming from a 2020 RDX, I can say that the TLX, even in Type-S form, is hands down a far nicer driving experience. Maybe it's just in my head, but noise isolation seems noticeably better and the ride is also substantially more comfortable, even in Sport. I put it over a string of broken up "fixed" potholes and it was level and creamy over all of it. I was the most impressed with this. This is another reason I can't stand the trend towards CUVs. Even with more sidewall, the Type-S was just a much more comfortable ride than the RDX. I'm sure with actual potholes, it may not fare as well, but for 98% of the time, you're going to be more comfortable in the TLX. This is a great place to be in driving on every day roads.

Another thing, visibility was actually excellent. Even with the long hood, I never felt anxious about where the corners of the car were. Holy hamster hips though. They definitely protrude out more than you'd initially think while you're adjusting your side mirrors. Overall, the cabin was comfortable and roomy. I didn't feel cramped and the seats are as good or better than my RDX. I didn't check out the rear seats, but that's not an area I currently care too much about. But, in the front, I had absolutely no complaints and the great visibility makes even this long-ass vehicle quite easy to drive. It makes me scratch my head even more when I see people driving these around as if they're wheeling a semi-truck. But, Acura drivers will be Acura drivers ...

Now, for the biggie, and my only mark against it. Granted, I already had my biases, but they were simply affirmed by driving it. I got the go-ahead, and gave it everything she had from 25-70MPH. It moves, but it's nothing impressive. It's what I expected a 355HP, 4,150lb vehicle to feel like ... maybe a tad slower. There's definitely a touch of lag, likely due to the computer saying, "you sure? ok ..." Bad MPH for the transmission to launch from? Maybe. I was honestly hoping that this was where I was going to be proven wrong, and it would snap me back in my seat and tell me, "fuck you! see, you were wrong this whole time!" ... but it didn't. Power came on smooth and it got up to speed without drama. It's not slow, but it's not something I'd decree as "fast" either. For most people? Yes, more power than you'd probably need in a daily. So, WOT performance wasn't thrilling, but where it does make up for it is in normal driving. It takes very little pedal input to get this thing moving and up to speed. Merging onto a main roadway with fast moving traffic bearing down on you is not a problem. Part throttle and she was moving up to speed very competently. My feeling, the car was tuned for a broad power band rather than chasing a number. This is great for everyday driving, but it comes at the cost of the top-end, if you're into that kind of thing.

Bottom line, if speed is your top priority, this isn't it. If you want a great daily driver with a bit more get-up than most cars out there, this is certainly a fantastic choice. Is it worth $20k more than a 2.0T Accord? Only you can answer that ...
The following 7 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
BOWA41 (06-24-2021), Camaro194 (06-24-2021), Honda430 (06-24-2021), mapleloaf (06-25-2021), savvich (06-24-2021), sonyfever (06-25-2021), Tony Pac (06-24-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I test drove one this morning. I went to the gym right after, so I've got post-nut clarity rather than being giddy over having just driven it. The bare bones basics?

This is a great car that will be more than you could ask for in a daily driver. Acura did a very good job with this and they'll sell plenty. Overall, a very good package.

So, the specifics. It was a short test drive, but I made the mistake of letting them now that I'm not exactly looking to put anything down today. So, essentially a tire kicker, but they still let me take the car out and drive it, which I was grateful for. The dealer I went to had it in White with Orchid interior. Initially, I really didn't like white on the other trims of the TLX. If I were to get the Type-S, white would certainly be on top of the list. I don't know if it's the additional styling cues or what, but I didn't think the car had odd proportions anymore. The car overall looked very appealing. It's not over the top, but the subtle changes definitely make the vehicle much more aesthetically pleasing.

Salesman handed me the key and it was nice to see the remote start button on there. I didn't realize this going in, as it's not standard on the RDX. Apparently, it is on the TLX-S. When I opened the door I was surprised to see the Orchid interior. It's definitely nice. It's not too white that it will be distracting or blinding, nor do I think it will get crazy dirty looking quickly. It's an off white ... maybe I would go so far as to call it "french vanilla white". It's absolutely a nice option, but I wouldn't spec a white car with that interior, but that's just me. If you get the car in red, blue or pussy-cat orange, it's definitely worth considering.

The flat-bottom steering wheel feels great. Gimmicky? Maybe, but I did like the feel of it. Steering was easy in Normal and Sport with good feel and responsiveness. Sport+ makes things a little tougher (tighter). We left the parking lot and it was clear that this was going to be a guided test drive, which I wasn't thrilled about, but again, I can't really blame them as they knew I wasn't currently serious about buying the car. The car had less than 30 miles on it and had been driven before me as the temp gauge was almost at operating temps. Unfortunately, there wasn't much I could do as far as testing its handling abilities, but from everything seen so far, that's not an area of concern for the car. What I can comment on is the overall ride experience. Coming from a 2020 RDX, I can say that the TLX, even in Type-S form, is hands down a far nicer driving experience. Maybe it's just in my head, but noise isolation seems noticeably better and the ride is also substantially more comfortable, even in Sport. I put it over a string of broken up "fixed" potholes and it was level and creamy over all of it. I was the most impressed with this. This is another reason I can't stand the trend towards CUVs. Even with more sidewall, the Type-S was just a much more comfortable ride than the RDX. I'm sure with actual potholes, it may not fare as well, but for 98% of the time, you're going to be more comfortable in the TLX. This is a great place to be in driving on every day roads.

Another thing, visibility was actually excellent. Even with the long hood, I never felt anxious about where the corners of the car were. Holy hamster hips though. They definitely protrude out more than you'd initially think while you're adjusting your side mirrors. Overall, the cabin was comfortable and roomy. I didn't feel cramped and the seats are as good or better than my RDX. I didn't check out the rear seats, but that's not an area I currently care too much about. But, in the front, I had absolutely no complaints and the great visibility makes even this long-ass vehicle quite easy to drive. It makes me scratch my head even more when I see people driving these around as if they're wheeling a semi-truck. But, Acura drivers will be Acura drivers ...

Now, for the biggie, and my only mark against it. Granted, I already had my biases, but they were simply affirmed by driving it. I got the go-ahead, and gave it everything she had from 25-70MPH. It moves, but it's nothing impressive. It's what I expected a 355HP, 4,150lb vehicle to feel like ... maybe a tad slower. There's definitely a touch of lag, likely due to the computer saying, "you sure? ok ..." Bad MPH for the transmission to launch from? Maybe. I was honestly hoping that this was where I was going to be proven wrong, and it would snap me back in my seat and tell me, "fuck you! see, you were wrong this whole time!" ... but it didn't. Power came on smooth and it got up to speed without drama. It's not slow, but it's not something I'd decree as "fast" either. For most people? Yes, more power than you'd probably need in a daily. So, WOT performance wasn't thrilling, but where it does make up for it is in normal driving. It takes very little pedal input to get this thing moving and up to speed. Merging onto a main roadway with fast moving traffic bearing down on you is not a problem. Part throttle and she was moving up to speed very competently. My feeling, the car was tuned for a broad power band rather than chasing a number. This is great for everyday driving, but it comes at the cost of the top-end, if you're into that kind of thing.

Bottom line, if speed is your top priority, this isn't it. If you want a great daily driver with a bit more get-up than most cars out there, this is certainly a fantastic choice. Is it worth $20k more than a 2.0T Accord? Only you can answer that ...
Great summary. Thanks brother! Love the fact that you pointed out the pros and cons 🙏
Old 06-24-2021, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts

Out of curiosity, did you ever test drive the A-Spec? I'm curious about your "odd proportions" comment as the exterior of the A-Spec and the Type S are more similar than not.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELIN
Out of curiosity, did you ever test drive the A-Spec? I'm curious about your "odd proportions" comment as the exterior of the A-Spec and the Type S are more similar than not.
I've felt that about all the trims. They had a grey A-Spec sitting in the showroom. It's all optics, and maybe it's just my dumbass mind playing tricks on me, but I just didn't feel it was as noticeable on the Type-S. The fact it has a lower front lip, larger wheels, (fake?) rear diffuser and ... is it lowered? ... probably help the visual proportions. The actual dimensions of the Type-S are exactly the same as the A-Spec, Advance, Tech and Base ... but I guess the appearance package just really brings out the best in the car. Or, again, maybe just my mind's bias saying, "this car is tits, you shall like it."
Old 06-25-2021, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
View this post on Instagram
Full reviews coming soon.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Really can't wait until people get their hands on the type-s and starting modifying. I bet a tune alone will do so much to this car.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:36 AM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
There's definitely a touch of lag, likely due to the computer saying, "you sure? ok ..."
Curious if you were in sport/sport+ mode when you noticed lag. Not suggesting the car would be faster because of that (unless it was conservative about downshifts) but just wondering in general.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
https://youtu.be/6KPQY0BtP4o

wow they type S sounds so amazing.

The poor demo cars will have the crap beat out of them.
The following users liked this post:
someguy11 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
The poor demo cars will have the crap beat out of them.
ya those who were saying they were goona wait for a cpo to save a few grand… these cars are goona be your CPO’s. Buyer beware, they certainly arent getting their 600 mile acura recommended break in.
someguy11 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
I saw this on Instagram, but it's not a fair comparison. The M3 is the machine and not just Acura but every manufacture is inspired or aim to compete with that car. Look is subjective but performance and specs are way off!

Old 06-25-2021, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I saw this on Instagram, but it's not a fair comparison. The M3 is the machine and not just Acura but every manufacture is inspired or aim to compete with that car. Look is subjective but performance and specs are way off!
Yeah but he does say it’s not a comparison review.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mcrompton
Yeah but he does say it’s not a comparison review.
True he did say that. My bad lol!
Old 06-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
I test drove this Color combination and found it attractive.
It does grow on you, although I found the Apex Blue Pearl with Orchid; and secured!
Sweet Ride!
leomio2.0 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

neuronbob, I think we have stuck with the Acura brand for reasons beyond the chatter of 0 - 60.
I have test driven the Type S and am not one bit swayed, by other brands. I know what goes into the solid make.
Everything is laid out on the ground with SH AWD, no puny wheel spinning and unnecessary g-force feel.
You are carried, not pushed or pulled - just watch the gauges.
It is different for those who do not understand SH AWD, that flooring during corners can get you through safely.
Beyond our days of the RL, this is now really on rails - point and go! Yes a sweet ride.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (06-27-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sclyzed
Really can't wait until people get their hands on the type-s and starting modifying. I bet a tune alone will do so much to this car.
Same boat. I want to see if this drivetrain can handle the added power. I'm just assuming, but I'd think the turbo would need to be swapped out to make a decent amount more power. Personally, I think they went to the smallest possible turbo to allow for the least amount of lag and as much power in lower RPMs at the expense of top end power. So, I think the ceiling for the turbo is almost reached. Good thing is, a turbo swap doesn't seem like it would be all too difficult on this car. I really hope they did a good amount to beef up the internals of the 10sp auto. The ones in the Accord can't handle much more than 400wHP, and that's with only powering a FWD vehicle.

Curious if you were in sport/sport+ mode when you noticed lag. Not suggesting the car would be faster because of that (unless it was conservative about downshifts) but just wondering in general.
It was in Sport. It's possible, but Sport+, AFAIK, doesn't really do anything as far as responsiveness of the engine (correct me if I'm wrong). It does hold gears longer so you're likely to be in a more optimal RPM and gear in case of desired full acceleration. It may have altered the experience, I can't say for sure. But, even after the downshift, I wasn't really terribly impressed at how the power came on. Again, not slow by any means, but it also isn't something that's going to knock your socks off.

I will say though, the car had less than 30 miles on it, so if Acura does do things to temper the amount of power during break-in, that could explain a lot. It didn't limit RPMs though.

Originally Posted by BBRL
I test drove this Color combination and found it attractive.
It does grow on you, although I found the Apex Blue Pearl with Orchid; and secured!
Sweet Ride!
Awesome combo! If I were to do blue, I'd get the exact same.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I got lucky with my choice, Blue/ Orchid combo. Sweet Ride as tested.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

I guarantee the Type S will dance much more gracefully through traffic.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Legend2TL -Thanks for your post on the TLX Type S Press Kit.
I hope they stopped using a Carbon Fiber drive shaft (specifically for the Tuners).
I queried at my dealer, but they had no idea.
I luckily locked in my color scheme 👍. Sweet Ride❗❗
Old 06-25-2021, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BBRL
Legend2TL -Thanks for your post on the TLX Type S Press Kit.
I hope they stopped using a Carbon Fiber drive shaft (specifically for the Tuners).
I queried at my dealer, but they had no idea.
I luckily locked in my color scheme 👍. Sweet Ride❗❗
Nope, definitely not CF ... likely a standard steel one:

Courtesy SavageGeese TLX Type-S Video

Why would a CF driveshaft be bad for tuners?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
As far as turbo lag - the car definitely doesn't really kick you back in your seat right away. It's right when it hits about 2500 RPM in 2nd gear that you notice it really start to pull. 20-70 MPH is the sweet acceleration spot for this car. Great cornering, though, tight and planted. Drove an S60 the same day, night and day.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

another 0-60 I could find. 6:35 in video around.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclyzed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK2Xze089fU&t=213s

another 0-60 I could find. 6:35 in video around.
Not good a one. He would've hit the car in front of him if he stayed straight.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Another video from same guy, watch around 4.05. Acceleration was very nice, i have never seen that type of thrust when Type S starts from complete stop.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Live Q&A about the Type S.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Old 06-26-2021, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELIN
Not good a one. He would've hit the car in front of him if he stayed straight.
There are going to be a lot of these things wrecked in the future. Already seen a number of examples of very unsafe 0-60's, some recklessness on the highway. I'm all for spirited driving but be safe peeps not just for you but for the others sharing the road with you.
The following 3 users liked this post by DubPK:
BOWA41 (06-26-2021), ELIN (06-26-2021), WTF.Acura (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
There are going to be a lot of these things wrecked in the future. Already seen a number of examples of very unsafe 0-60's, some recklessness on the highway. I'm all for spirited driving but be safe peeps not just for you but for the others sharing the road with you.
Excuse me, thought no one cared about 0-60. Have things changed, did some people sleep while the pods were near?
Old 06-26-2021, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Excuse me, thought no one cared about 0-60. Have things changed, did some people sleep while the pods were near?
Huh? I was just saying drive safe for the sake of you and those around you on the road, nothing more or nothing less and nothing to do with the TLX specifically even really. Some of the youtube videos I've seen people are just being overly reckless on crowded highways or in town amongst traffic prompting the comment.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
Legend2TL (07-06-2021), WTF.Acura (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:08 PM
Pro

There are a lot of positive reviews about the type S. I don’t remember seeing a car this hyped especially in the segment in a while. Great job Acura. Hopefully they will continue to improve from what they have now.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:55 PM
Advanced

There are a lot of positive reviews about the type S. I don’t remember seeing a car this hyped especially in the segment in a while. Great job Acura. Hopefully they will continue to improve from what they have now.
I drove - and like - the Type-S, but...huh?

G70
m340i
A5

These all come to mind

Last edited by Speed Guy; 06-26-2021 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-26-2021, 09:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Speed Guy
I drove - and like - the Type-S, but...huh?

G70
m340i
A5

These all come to mind
“I said hyped!!”
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
Speed Guy (06-27-2021), WTF.Acura (06-26-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 11:49 AM
Advanced

“I said hyped!!”
Got ya - totally misread. Yes, great marketing. Too bad the car isn't going for $53K like it is listed - I think they'd have a real winner. Maybe they actually prefer dealers to do ADM?
Old 06-27-2021, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the update.
The CF possibly was not holding up for tuners under extra stress; weight, flexing was my thought.
I recall the after market had quickly produced another shaft that was lighter, added HP.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion