Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Thats the A4 interior (says right there in the URL). The S4 has a flat bottom steering wheel.
Flat bottom is an option. The base S4 has the same steering wheel.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
FFS, the Type-S just came out and nothing about it screams "I'm new". Just because it's a new model doesn't mean it's better. Hence the engine and 0-60, S4 still beats it.
The videos I'm seeing have the TLX beating the S4. See minute 21:00.

The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by mec30

https://youtu.be/jR0ZiXJ7lIs?t=1261
Something about that launch is off, if the S4 can do it in 4.3-4.5 and Type-S in 4.7-5.0 ... at one point the S4 should catch up
jrzofclay (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Something about that launch is off, if the S4 can do it in 4.3-4.5 and Type-S in 4.7-5.0 ... at one point the S4 should catch up
Look at the S4 5-60 time and you’ll get a sense of the disconnect.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Why compare it to the S4 at all? Knowing what we all know now, no one in their right mind would get a Type S over the S5 Sportback.

The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BBRL (06-27-2021), jrzofclay (05-21-2021), vhtran (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iutodd
They were both launched from a stand-still, I'm curious about the Type-S' 5-60 as well
Old 05-20-2021, 11:10 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I see the haters are out in full force today. 😂😂😂😂
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
DJ Iceman (05-20-2021), StealthTL-S (05-27-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:13 AM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
My honest opinion as someone who was an ASE certified master technician, worked for Acura, BMW and Mercedes, As an car enthusiasts, the biggest issue I see down the road is the engine having issues. The design is rarely used and has been used before. It's complex and can lead to a number of issues down the road. Acura MAY HAVE tested this vehicle up to 100K in two years, but that is still SHORT TERM. Over the 8-10 years and heat being a big issue, things will deteriorate. That's long term / real word testing. I've talked to multiple Acura technicians and they are already dreading working on this. I can't see many aftermarket companies that are going to supply aftermarket support for this vehicle. It's a new engine never used before. I've said it many times before, I wouldn't be the 1st to jump on a tune because the details of this engine and what it can handle is still unknown. The ECU and management is still unknown. It's NOT a proven engine or setup, unlike the 2.0T. That aside,for 55K+ what are you REALLY getting at this point? That's been the whole debate. I personally think this TLX-S won't have the same demand as the 3rd gen TL-S. Look how different the auto industry has CHANGED from the last TL-S. Sedans are on the verge of death and sooner or later, EV vehicles will consume the market. They slept for 10 years and came back too late in my opinion. The best of Acura is long gone. These new Acuras are artificial and make you feel disconnected. Acura brings a bunch of Pro honda / Acura auto journalist to test the TLX-S, who didn't see that coming? All the reviews are going to be bias anyway. You hope this will be better than the Q50/Q60 but the common response you see from others that have no idea how performance actually works is the TLX-S has bs hp/tq numbers while the Q50/Q60 has a lot more, but forget about all the other factors. Unfortunately we live in a world where HP sells and faster 0-60 times has become the most obsession.
You hit the nail on the coffin. I agree with you. Haven't own my 4th Gen TL for since 2016 I was ready to upgrade and I'm disappointed on this offering. Perhaps I'll move onto the RLX or wait till Acura puts the Sport Hybrid System in a TLX. As for the Infiniti I they've done everything right, they just need a major interior and exterior refresh.
04WDPSeDaN (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,583 Likes on 953 Posts
Thanks for posting all the reviews fam! Truly enjoyed them. Positive, negative and neutral comments from the reviewers and members here are great to see.

I won't like the 0-60 number on paper isn't impressive and I am a bit disappointed. I was hooping for 4.5 (believe me I am not a 0-60 guy, but still). But overall, what Acura has done is impressive. After a decade of struggle and making ordinary cars, I am glad to see Acura has built a car that is very competitive with the Germans with much lower price tag. AoA said one thing: 340 is an amazing performance machine but is it worth $10K more? That depends on the person, but I would say the TLX TYPE S brings Acura to the next level and hopefully with time, future refreshes and models, they become better and better.

Time to test drive one now
vhtran (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Honda430
Was that directed at me? I’ve owned 10 Acuras, and still have one, so pretty sure I’m not a hater. It’s sad that objectivity and honesty are not appreciated here.
mg3878 (12-05-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Was that directed at me? I’ve owned 10 Acuras, and still have one, so pretty sure I’m not a hater. It’s sad that objectivity and honesty are not appreciated here.
Pretty sure that was directed at me, even though I still own an original Type-S ...
Old 05-20-2021, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Why compare it to the S4 at all? Knowing what we all know now, no one in their right mind would get a Type S over the S5 Sportback.

My only problem with the S5 is that it's almost 10k more than the TLX for what I want. Basically just sport differential and sound system. Exterior looks great though.
one4all (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:28 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
It all comes down to money. If you aren't willing to spend more for the German sedans, this would be a pretty good buy. I personally think the TLX is a great looking car, but I wouldn't buy one if it's my money.
JeffS (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Pretty sure that was directed at me, even though I still own an original Type-S ...
You know, if Acura management actually did read this forum, I’m fairly certain they would figure out how to get their mojo back. Because, as it stands right now, their entire lineup is filled with also-rans.

I said this last year, and I still believe it to be valid. If Acura wanted the automotive world to take them seriously, the base TLX needs to have 330 to 350 HP, and the Type S needs well over 400. My little TTRS with its 2.5L turbo 5-cylinder generates 400 reliable horsepower when it was still stock. There’s nothing stopping Acura from doing better than it currently is. You seriously cannot claim to be all about performance when your top of the line sports sedan struggles going uphill at Laguna Seca.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
mg3878 (12-05-2021), pyrodan007 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
My honest opinion as someone who was an ASE certified master technician, worked for Acura, BMW and Mercedes, As an car enthusiasts, the biggest issue I see down the road is the engine having issues. The design is rarely used and has been used before. It's complex and can lead to a number of issues down the road. Acura MAY HAVE tested this vehicle up to 100K in two years, but that is still SHORT TERM. Over the 8-10 years and heat being a big issue, things will deteriorate. That's long term / real word testing. I've talked to multiple Acura technicians and they are already dreading working on this. I can't see many aftermarket companies that are going to supply aftermarket support for this vehicle. It's a new engine never used before. I've said it many times before, I wouldn't be the 1st to jump on a tune because the details of this engine and what it can handle is still unknown. The ECU and management is still unknown. It's NOT a proven engine or setup, unlike the 2.0T. That aside,for 55K+ what are you REALLY getting at this point? That's been the whole debate. I personally think this TLX-S won't have the same demand as the 3rd gen TL-S. Look how different the auto industry has CHANGED from the last TL-S. Sedans are on the verge of death and sooner or later, EV vehicles will consume the market. They slept for 10 years and came back too late in my opinion. The best of Acura is long gone. These new Acuras are artificial and make you feel disconnected. Acura brings a bunch of Pro honda / Acura auto journalist to test the TLX-S, who didn't see that coming? All the reviews are going to be bias anyway. You hope this will be better than the Q50/Q60 but the common response you see from others that have no idea how performance actually works is the TLX-S has bs hp/tq numbers while the Q50/Q60 has a lot more, but forget about all the other factors. Unfortunately we live in a world where HP sells and faster 0-60 times has become the most obsession.
I would not disagree with you about the various points, but let's take reliability and tuning away and just look at the car at its core. The core of Acura is decent performance at an easy-on-wallet price. Type-S has that checked. Artificial? Well, I would argue even M340 feels artificial without the engine sound. Of course TLX hit the wrong size targets that irk many people, I think that is the only real weakness of the car because in the old days one can always say with less performance compared to European competitors, Acura at least is more practical. As long the price stays where it should be, I don't see how the car will do as bad as Q50. Q50 RS is honestly a sloppy effort from Infinity, which I hope Lexus does not repeat on IS500.

Last edited by sonyfever; 05-20-2021 at 11:46 AM.
04WDPSeDaN (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:38 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

completely disagree. I test drove the s5 and almost purchased a fully load prestige model which would have been 70k. I just couldn’t get myself to spend that kind of money on a s5. While I havent drove the tlx yet the s5 is super quick and I bet you’ll get the same experience from the type S. The s5 feels small and narrow compared to the tlx which was a big negative for me. Both interiors are nice. But the exterior styling looks better on the type S and it definitely has more road presence.
BBRL (06-25-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Why can't members have different opinions without being labeled as haters? Pretty sure those members have Acura cars in their driveways.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Thanks for posting all the reviews fam! Truly enjoyed them. Positive, negative and neutral comments from the reviewers and members here are great to see.

I won't like the 0-60 number on paper isn't impressive and I am a bit disappointed. I was hooping for 4.5 (believe me I am not a 0-60 guy, but still). But overall, what Acura has done is impressive. After a decade of struggle and making ordinary cars, I am glad to see Acura has built a car that is very competitive with the Germans with much lower price tag. AoA said one thing: 340 is an amazing performance machine but is it worth $10K more? That depends on the person, but I would say the TLX TYPE S brings Acura to the next level and hopefully with time, future refreshes and models, they become better and better.

Sadly, this is like when you go to a computer store and they display MORE RAM, MORE SPEED hahaha. Aside from the joke, This car will be good for tuners like one of the members mentioned, this engine is new and we don't know the long term yet. For me, what I see is that it's a turbo car now and it will not last as long as the old N/A engine depends on how bad the owner wants his/her car to get that 0-60 time and if the tranny will be able to handle more power. Also, keep in mind that turbo is a wear and tear part. =)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:47 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by iutodd
Watch the S4 closely, you can see it nose dive as it goes into 2nd gear. Driver eased off the gas pedal. Intentional or not, it happened.

Last edited by loki; 05-20-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think the Type S is a great value and it's going to be fun to watch the aftermarket start to mod this car. Unlike the naysayers, I think it will sell, and sell well, especially if the dealers don't resort to above MSRP sales tactics. Is it the fastest, the roomiest? No. But is it engaging to drive? Seems like it'll be a fun drive.

Is it enough for me to sell my nearly new, new-to-me RLX Sport Hybrid right now to acquire one? Not at the price of entry for my RLX. Not a fair comparison, sure, but that's where I'm at personally.
BBRL (06-25-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I called three local dealers here around SF. One of them was mum about ADM, but two of them said they're planning on a $10-15K ADM for the first year or two.
Bay Area is a crazy place.... it seems every business just want more these days.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:51 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think the Type S is a great value and it's going to be fun to watch the aftermarket start to mod this car. Unlike the naysayers, I think it will sell, and sell well, especially if the dealers don't resort to above MSRP sales tactics. Is it the fastest, the roomiest? No. But is it engaging to drive? Seems like it'll be a fun drive.

Is it enough for me to sell my nearly new, new-to-me RLX Sport Hybrid right now to acquire one? Not at the price of entry for my RLX. Not a fair comparison, sure, but that's where I'm at personally.
I think your RLX is great, a better car, tried and true. If you decide to sell it, let me know
Old 05-20-2021, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Smile

I think you just like something new, especially you love Acura. My car is a 2020 and I already want a 2022.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:59 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts

ITS AN ACURA EVENT... Did you REALLY think they were going to have the S4 beat the TLX-S? . It's a pro Acura event, even if they had an R8 there, it get "beat" by the TLX-S

In the world of "Acura fans", negative comments that don't line up to their "pro vibes" only makes you a hater, regardless of real world facts.

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I would not disagree with you about the various points, but let's take reliability and tuning away and just look at the car at its core. The core of Acura is decent performance at an easy-on-wallet price. Type-S has that checked. Artificial? Well, I would argue even M340 feels artificial without the engine sound. Of course TLX hit the wrong size targets that irk many people, I think that is the only real weakness of the car because in the old days one can always say with less performance compared to European competitors, Acura at least is more practical. As long the price stays where it should be, I don't see how the car will do as bad as Q50. Q50 RS is honestly a sloppy effort from Infinity, which I hope Lexus does not repeat on IS500.
I do respect your response and while I have not driven the TLX-S, but have spent plenty of time behind the TLX, RDX and NSX, (exception of the NSX) they feel lack luster. This is my opinion as I also own a boosted 6MT 3rd gen TL and M40i X3. I've driven and worked on plenty of vehicles in my life and not being loyal or pro to any brand but BMW does feel more like a drivers vehicle. Everyone is doing pumped in sounds through the speakers. Hell, even the EV Mustang has it and it's PURE ELECTRIC, lol. I do not think the TLX-S is worth the cost. It's not the Acura of the past that made Acura what it was to its core. Acura was the brand that had the perfect balance of luxury, performance and reliability vs the cost. The TLX and TLX-S is still new, they have a long time before they hit a refresh model. Whatever they consider the competition (S4, M340i, C43, G70 ) are at the end of their cycle and will advance before Acura has a chance to catch up.

Originally Posted by vhtran
Why can't members have different opinions without being labeled as haters? Pretty sure those members have Acura cars in their driveways.

Sadly, this is like when you go to a computer store and they display MORE RAM, MORE SPEED hahaha. Aside from the joke, This car will be good for tuners like one of the members mentioned, this engine is new and we don't know the long term yet. For me, what I see is that it's a turbo car now and it will not last as long as the old N/A engine depends on how bad the owner wants his/her car to get that 0-60 time and if the tranny will be able to handle more power. Also, keep in mind that turbo is a wear and tear part. =)
As stated, can't have an opinion without being labeled a hater. Welcome to car culture of today.

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Watch the S4 closely, you can see the nose dive as it goes into 2nd gear. Driver eased off the gas pedal. Intentional or not, it happened.
It's a joke.
jrzofclay (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 12:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by djhtsx
completely disagree. I test drove the s5 and almost purchased a fully load prestige model which would have been 70k. I just couldn’t get myself to spend that kind of money on a s5. While I havent drove the tlx yet the s5 is super quick and I bet you’ll get the same experience from the type S. The s5 feels small and narrow compared to the tlx which was a big negative for me. Both interiors are nice. But the exterior styling looks better on the type S and it definitely has more road presence.
The key words in your post are “haven’t driven the TLX yet”.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:13 PM
Pro

The key words in your post are “haven’t driven the TLX yet”.
the key is performance does not justify the higher cost.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,513 Posts
I see the thin skinned haters are out in full force today. 😂😂😂😂
FIFY

Watched a few of the video's, liked AoA the most he's pretty down to earth in terms of evaluating a vehicle.
Meanwhile the 0-60 life folks live on

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-20-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Watch the S4 closely, you can see it nose dive as it goes into 2nd gear. Driver eased off the gas pedal. Intentional or not, it happened.
I doubt it. Both cars noses dip at the gear change. That's normal. They are both automatics so the driver of the S4 has no reason to take his foot off the gas. Sofyan himself is reputable.

I want to stay away from the conspiracy theories until more tests are run.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:26 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
The Smoking Tire - it seems Matt enjoyed the drive on track. And he was allowed to drive on his own without following someone.

BOWA41 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 12:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,583 Likes on 953 Posts
I doubt it. Both cars noses dip at the gear change. That's normal. They are both automatics so the driver of the S4 has no reason to take his foot off the gas. Sofyan himself is reputable.

I want to stay away from the conspiracy theories until more tests are run.
how can you stay away from conspiracy theory when you’re here a pure Audi enthusiasts forum. Ops sorry I meant Acura. 😂
Old 05-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Honda430 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 12:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,513 Posts

, that's what AoA got into in his preliminary test, @14:00, where he compares 9/10 versus 10/10 driving

FWIW Acura updated the spec page, still not as detailed as the original TLX but gear ratio's are the same. Type-S appears to be ~200lb weight addition
https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...atures-5202021

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-20-2021 at 12:50 PM.
neuronbob (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac

Did a Build Your Car on a M340 as I would buy it came out to $61,000. My last 440i was $63,000 so am not low balling my choices to get a number. Regular discounts & rebates. about 10% would bring the OTD price before tax to $55.000. A TLX Type-S at MSRP + ADM will be about $65,000. So I believe you might have your $10,000 more expensive for the M340 upside down.

Have no doubt Honda people will buy it but don't think they will win any converts.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-20-2021 at 01:07 PM.
04WDPSeDaN (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
A 1 to 1.5-second improvement in 0-60 over the 4-cylinder is unimpressive and negligible. What interests me is how quickly the car gets moving from a cruising speed. I'm 97% happy with my 4-cylinder S-AWD. I just wish she moved faster in a pinch. I normally drive in "normal" mode and really have to floor it at highway speeds if I want to make a quick move, and even then I'm usually wishing for more juice. Often there's not enough time, or my reflexes are too lazy to kick it into "sport" in time. So, I guess I'm more interested in 65-90 MPH times. At lower speeds (30-40) there is way too much lag in "normal" mode when you kick it. So, screw 0-60. If the type-s will move its ass more quickly in a pinch, I'll be interested.
one4all (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:11 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Did a Build Your Car on a M340 as I would buy it came out to $61,000. My last 440i was $63,000 so am not low balling my choices to get a number. Regular discounts & rebates. about 10% would bring the OTD price before tax to $55.000. A TLX Type-S at MSRP + ADM will be about $65,000. So I believe you might have your $10,000 more expensive for the M340 upside down.

Have no doubt Honda people will buy it but don't think they will win any converts.
Lets talk about the elephant in the room..
How many of these "loyal" Acura members here who don't like opinions, do you think they will buy the TLX-S? The same ones who own some real fine, well maintained Acura's in such show room condition?
vhtran (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Well nobody should buy this car with an ADM attached. ADMs are pretty much scams.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

the key is performance does not justify the higher cost.
LOL what??

So why is Acura charging more for a Type S than it does a regular TLX??

Last edited by SebringSilver; 05-20-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:42 PM
Pro

LOL what??

So why is Acura charging more for a Type S than it does a regular TLX??
Can you not comprehend? Im obviously comparing the s5 vs type s and stating that the performance bump doesn’t justify the cost
Old 05-20-2021, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
A 1 to 1.5-second improvement in 0-60 over the 4-cylinder is unimpressive and negligible. What interests me is how quickly the car gets moving from a cruising speed. I'm 97% happy with my 4-cylinder S-AWD. I just wish she moved faster in a pinch. I normally drive in "normal" mode and really have to floor it at highway speeds if I want to make a quick move, and even then I'm usually wishing for more juice. Often there's not enough time, or my reflexes are too lazy to kick it into "sport" in time. So, I guess I'm more interested in 65-90 MPH times. At lower speeds (30-40) there is way too much lag in "normal" mode when you kick it. So, screw 0-60. If the type-s will move its ass more quickly in a pinch, I'll be interested.
Yeah if you are an Interstate driver where traffic rolls along with many doing speed limit 70+10/15 a car needs mid range power to make clean/safe passes. The S should be good for that. What really surprises me so far is the chart one of the guys posted where the I4 & V6 have exactly the same transmission & rear gear ratios. Usually these are different to best utilize the engines power/torque curves.
robnalex (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Can you not comprehend? Im obviously comparing the s5 vs type s and stating that the performance bump doesn’t justify the cost
I’m saying exactly the same thing. The tiny bump in performance of the Type S is not worth the upcharge from an Advance that actually has more and better features.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yeah if you are an Interstate driver where traffic rolls along with many doing speed limit 70+10/15 a car needs mid range power to make clean/safe passes. The S should be good for that. What really surprises me so far is the chart one of the guys posted where the I4 & V6 have exactly the same transmission & rear gear ratios. Usually these are different to best utilize the engines power/torque curves.
Every 10AT has the same gear ratio, only the final reduction gear adjusted per application. I had the same question about whether Acura would change gear ratio for Type-S to take advantage of the better torque from the V6. If the data sheet is correct, even the reduction gear ratio is the same as vanilla TLX. No wonder Type-S gets bad mpg, but on the other hand, rolling acceleration should blow 2.0T away.

As for rolling acceleration not enough on vanilla TLX, you don't need Type-S to fix that. Just do a KTuner Stage 2 and the acceleration will be more than fine for most people.
robnalex (05-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion