Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its a British Cosworth engine with final assembly in Anna Ohio.
Nevermind, it looks like the NSX engine was indeed developed in Japan:

Engineers in Marysville mocked up a new rear subframe even as their colleagues in Tochigi, Japan, frantically worked on the turbo engine and a new nine-speed transmission
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...017-acura-nsx/
Old 05-25-2021, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Watch the Cosworth NSX engine being built in Anna Ohio

Cosworth made the Honda drawings work with realistic changes & produced a running engine. At the end of the day the parts that get assembled come out of the Cosworth plant with the Cosworth modifications that made it an actual production engine not just a collection of drawings.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-25-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,513 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Watch the Cosworth NSX engine being built in Anna Ohio

Cosworth made the Honda drawings work with realistic changes & produced a running engine. At the end of the day the parts that get assembled come out of the Cosworth plant with the Cosworth modifications that made it an actual production engine not just a collection of drawings.
It's not entirely clear but from the wording it sounds like the only motor components that Cosworth produces for the 2G NSX are the block and heads. Cosworth has a unique cylinder bore coating process that apparently Honda wanted. No where does Cosworth indicate they produced a running engine. Cosworth indicated they had input to the design with some changes to tolerances and dimensions of the cylinder bore and other .

From your article linked
In fact, Honda relies on Cosworth's powertrain headquarters in Northampton, England, to build the blocks and heads for the NSX's twin-turbocharged V6. The advantage of the partnership comes down to Cosworth's "plasma ion coating capability for cylinder block bores, which improves heat transfer, reduces friction and delivers a lighter, more fuel-efficient engine."
From Cosworth
Honda relies on the OE Manufacturing centre at our UK powertrain headquarters in Northampton, that has been specifically designed to meet the individual needs of any OEM. It is here where we manufacture the V6 blocks and heads for the NSX’s 573hp hybrid powertrain.
The NSX 2G pics Cosworth shows are only machined heads with no valvetrain components, whereas their same website show the Gordon Murray T50 V12 and it's completed engine which illustrates they produce a complete engine.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-25-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Oil changes were $150, brake rotors constantly warped had to replace the rear rotors twice cost me $1600. Everything else fixed under warranty like the serpentine belt flying off and rear diff leak..

Interesting, I have same rotors, never had a problem.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Is there any news on what acura plans for TLX-L (long wheelbase) for China based on Type S drivetrain? If Acura adds 2-3 inch to length and adds that to rear leg room, adds other missing features like HUD and offers quilted seats like MDX, it will be a good product to compete against 5 sereis, E class, A6s and G80s. I believe it can be a good replacement for RLX and will sell more than RLX.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-30-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
Is there any news on what acura plans for TLX-L (long wheelbase) for China based on Type S drivetrain? If Acura adds 2-3 inch to length and adds that to rear leg room, adds other missing features like HUD and offers quilted seats like MDX, it will be a good product to compete against 5 sereis, E class, A6s and G80s. I believe it can be a good replacement for RLX and will sell more than RLX.
I am curious about their plan, too. My guess, however, is there will be no TLX for China, and Acura will exit China soon because they simply don't have competitive products for the market there. There is no way that Acura will bring Type-S to China, because first the engine needs particulate filter to pass the stricter emission regulation, and the projected sales volume simply does not support a business case.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,660 Likes on 926 Posts
I’m more interested in seeing if the CDX make its way to the states.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
How can people seriously claim a TLX competes with a 5 Series, an E Class, or an A6 is just mind boggling. Look at the way the leather is wrapped around the steering wheel and then go and compare that with the way it’s done on those German cars and you immediately see the difference in quality. Don’t even bother with the shockingly cheap plastic on the window sills. Design and quality are not the same thing.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,583 Likes on 953 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
How can people seriously claim a TLX competes with a 5 Series, an E Class, or an A6 is just mind boggling. Look at the way the leather is wrapped around the steering wheel and then go and compare that with the way it’s done on those German cars and you immediately see the difference in quality. Don’t even bother with the shockingly cheap plastic on the window sills. Design and quality are not the same thing.
definitely wrong comparison!

But the same way goes, when people here discuss and chat nonsense because it's a free forum and if we don't like it. too bad. But I definitely think 5 series and E class are just next level. I am not too sure about A6 tbh. To me, all Audi products look like VW. The same way, Honda and infiniti look alike Honda and Nissan.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac

But the same way goes, when people here discuss and chat nonsense because it's a free forum and if we don't like it. too bad. But I definitely think 5 series and E class are just next level. I am not too sure about A6 tbh. To me, all Audi products look like VW. The same way, Honda and infiniti look alike Honda and Nissan.
Whatever highend treatment they give to MDX -S, they can do the same for this model. I believe it will still be cheaper to develop than completely new RLX replacement if Acura wants to offer a sedan in that segment till eveything becomes EV.
Tony Pac (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Therein lies the problem with most people. You talk about the way the car looks. I’m talking about the build quality and the materials. Design is free when you get to scale, but quality will always cost $$$.
The following 4 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-31-2021), jhb31 (06-01-2021), Nexx (06-03-2021), pyrodan007 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts

Audi interiors are nothing like VW interiors. Especially on an A6. It’s not even close.

jhb31 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 10:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Audi interiors are nothing like VW interiors. Especially on an A6. It’s not even close.

This is nothing look alike?
bilirubin (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 01:27 PM
AZ Community Team

On another note: An Arteon is $52,995 CAD fully loaded from A to Z, and a base, empty, without any tech A6 starts at $65,495 CAD. And the Arteon has more HP and if you add a few similar features to the A6, the price jumps to $71K CAD! Is $18K difference justified?
bilirubin (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

On another note: An Arteon is $52,995 CAD fully loaded from A to Z, and a base, empty, without any tech A6 starts at $65,495 CAD. And the Arteon has more HP and if you add a few similar features to the A6, the price jumps to $71K CAD! Is $18K difference justified?
To people who can afford that price point and who can appreciate what makes them different then yes of course the price gap is justified. To people on a smaller budget and who don’t know the difference between the two then of course it isn’t.

Funny thing is if your theory is correct, why would anyone buy an Acura over, say, a Honda or something even worse?
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BEAR-AvHistory (06-03-2021), pyrodan007 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
The Arteon has a garbage sound system. Granted you can upgrade system on Audi's, but you can't do anything for the Arteon. I was very interested in taking a look at one, but no R spec and shit sound system makes it a big waste of money for me. May as well get the Stinger. Yes, the price difference is justified. BTW, the direct comparison is not the A6, it's the A5 SB which can be had for way less than 70k.

The Stringer was also a pass for me due to interior being very meh, even after refresh. Granted my 2021 S5 SB is well above 70k, but it was a necessary evil since used "sport wagon-styled" cars are overpriced and in low inventory. Would have loved to get a 2020 S5 SB model but good luck finding them. The 2018s are much easier, but getting a nicely spec-ed one is just as hard. And they still go for 50k (all CAD prices btw), for a 4 year old first year production god knows who abused it sport sedan with almost zero warranty left.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-03-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
To people who can afford that price point and who can appreciate what makes them different then yes of course the price gap is justified. To people on a smaller budget and who don’t know the difference between the two then of course it isn’t.

Funny thing is if your theory is correct, why would anyone buy an Acura over, say, a Honda or something even worse?
100% agreed! I always say don't compare TLX to Accord. The price is justified. I had both cars and the TL or TLX is a much superior product. I am sure you have seen people here telling members just go buy an accord and save $10K

Now the same theory goes with A6 and Areton, I am sure there is a difference in material and driving experience, but I just wanted to bring it to people attention that it's not always cool to compare the TLX to Accord. That's all! you see members' reaction isn't positive when you compare their car to another lower brand/vehicle.
mapleloaf (06-08-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 05:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
The Arteon has a garbage sound system. Granted you can upgrade system on Audi's, but you can't do anything for the Arteon. I was very interested in taking a look at one, but no R spec and shit sound system makes it a big waste of money for me. May as well get the Stinger. Yes, the price difference is justified. BTW, the direct comparison is not the A6, it's the A5 SB which can be had for way less than 70k.

The Stringer was also a pass for me due to interior being very meh, even after refresh. Granted my 2021 S5 SB is well above 70k, but it was a necessary evil since used "sport wagon-styled" cars are overpriced and in low inventory. Would have loved to get a 2020 S5 SB model but good luck finding them. The 2018s are much easier, but getting a nicely spec-ed one is just as hard. And they still go for 50k (all CAD prices btw), for a 4 year old first year production god knows who abused it sport sedan with almost zero warranty left.
I don't want to argue and waste your time. But let's be honest, are you paying $10-$15K for a sound system? I understand the A6 has probably a prestigious name, better leather and an awesome AWD. I highly doubt anyone pays that price for an A6 for the sound system. But again, if you do...good for you!
Old 06-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't want to argue and waste your time. But let's be honest, are you paying $10-$15K for a sound system? I understand the A6 has probably a prestigious name, better leather and an awesome AWD. I highly doubt anyone pays that price for an A6 for the sound system. But again, if you do...good for you!
Have you not read the reactions on this forum, most of the reasons people are getting the FWD TLX is due to the better sound system. Yes, for people that can afford it, it's worth the premium. Plus the other upgrades that come when stepping up to a luxury brand/model.
BEAR-AvHistory (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:59 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Back in the 2000's, VW had released the Phaeton sedan in the North American market. It was a full size luxury sedan like the Audi A8, and could be equipped with all high-tech bells and whistles that one could think of during that period, including a giant W12 twelve cylinder optional engine. Moreover, it also carried a hefty price tag that rivaled the Audi A8.

In the end, the VW Phaeton had to be axed due to dismay sales. The VW Phaeton was a good car, except that no one was stupid enough to spend such money on a VW sedan.

The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
pyrodan007 (06-03-2021), Tony Pac (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Definition: great comfort especially as provided by expensive & beautiful possessions. Something expensive that is pleasant to have but not necessary

You don't need to justify a luxury item. They are wants not needs. You buy it because you want it & can afford it, thats why its called a luxury item. Another way it can be looked at is your financial position & earning power can determine what is a luxury car & what is not. A TLX Type S might be a luxury item to some one with a Civic budget but a TLX Type S is not a luxury item to someone who can spend $71,000 for a car.

Example: Do you really think someone going in to buy a $140,000 M5 @ 605BHP is really concerned about the price being $85,800 more than a base 240BHP 530i? For this buyer even an $85,000 car is not a "luxury" item.

Bang for the Buck & Luxury are polar opposites.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-03-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Acura TL Builder (06-09-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 10:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Have you not read the reactions on this forum, most of the reasons people are getting the FWD TLX is due to the better sound system. Yes, for people that can afford it, it's worth the premium. Plus the other upgrades that come when stepping up to a luxury brand/model.
“most of the reasons”! I knew something like this will be your argument
Old 06-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

“most of the reasons”! I knew something like this will be your argument
I specifically mentioned TLX FWD since besides the sound system, the Accord Touring has the better "luxury" items, performance, and interior space. You keep on comparing the Arteon to the A6 because of price, but features don't align. It's clone is the A5 Sportback. It's like comparing the Accord to the RLX if it still existed.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-04-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:59 AM
AZ Community Team

I specifically mentioned TLX FWD since besides the sound system, the Accord Touring has the better "luxury" items, performance, and interior space. You keep on comparing the Arteon to the A6 because of price, but features don't align. It's clone is the A5 Sportback. It's like comparing the Accord to the RLX if it still existed.
Please kindly provide me that data of TLX FWD. I have never seen a single data set of Acura showing SH-AWD and FWD sales numbers separately. So how do you know how many AWD vs FWD were sold? Or you are simply assuming based on the "Enthusiasts" of this forum
And in Canada, Acura sells only AWD. There is no more FWD.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 06-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

...also more comfortable yet more supportive seats, better handling (despite the added curb weight), far less repugnant exterior styling (subjective).
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
ELIN (06-05-2021), mapleloaf (06-08-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Please kindly provide me that data of TLX FWD. I have never seen a single data set of Acura showing SH-AWD and FWD sales numbers separately. So how do you know how many AWD vs FWD were sold? Or you are simply assuming based on the "Enthusiasts" of this forum
And in Canada, Acura sells only AWD. There is no more FWD.
Who mentioned sales? Now look who's going off topic. I specifically mentioned people preferences on this site based on comments. No one needs a TLX, but SOME people still prefer a base TLX to a loaded Accord. Price goes out the door when luxury and preferences are involved. Once you involve AWD, it's understandable why TLX wins in sales.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-04-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Who mentioned sales? Now look who's going off topic. I specifically mentioned people preferences on this site based on comments. No one needs a TLX, but people still prefer a base TLX to a loaded Accord. Price goes out the door when luxury and preferences are involved.
Show me the data for preference? I wrote sales since that's the only we can know the number of people which model they prefer. I don't have the data for preference. Or again, you are referring to the "Real Enthusiasts" preference. Please bring facts and not Joe and Moe said that. I heard people prefer Jetta over A4. is this a fact? of course not. No one cares what they said or thought.

And BTW if it was based on this site, Acura would have closed its doors last year and not sold 18K+ units last month.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Show me the data for preference? I wrote sales since that's the only we can know the number of people which model they prefer. I don't have the data for preference. Or again, you are referring to the "Real Enthusiasts" preference. Please bring facts and not Joe and Moe said that. I heard people prefer Jetta over A4. is this a fact? of course not. No one cares what they said or thought.

And BTW if it was based on this site, Acura would have closed its doors last year and not sold 18K+ units last month.
This conversation is going nowhere as usual, the same flawed logic as comparing Arteon to A6 when it's really Arteon vs A5 SB.
Yes, the RLX has a better sound system than an Accord and it's worth the price difference. Same for A6 vs Arteon, the end.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-04-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:35 AM
AZ Community Team

This conversation is going nowhere as usual, the same flawed logic as comparing Arteon to A6 when it's really Arteon vs A5 SB.
Yes, the TLX has a better sound system than an Accord and it's worth more money. Same for Arteon vs A6, the end....
No worries brother!
Enjoy your Friday!
pyrodan007 (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 11:38 AM
AZ Community Team

I am not sure how reliable his analysis is but I watched this the other day. I think it's a cool video about different brands and their sound system .Hope you enjoy:
@pyrodan007
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
F23A4 (06-04-2021), Legend2TL (06-04-2021), mapleloaf (06-08-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

The Best Car Audio Systems 2021: Top Cars With Best Speakers and Sound - Rolling Stone

Acura has partnered with Panasonic on its car audio systems since 2004, and the fruits of the partnership are on full display in Acura’s new ELS STUDIO 3D Sound System. We tested out the ELS STUDIO 3D system on the 2021 Acura TLX, and couldn’t believe that a system of this quality and caliber comes standard on most of the new TLX models (in addition to many of the new Acura vehicles).

The 16-channel, 17-speaker system is a game-changer for luxury sedans, and creates an incredibly immersive 3D soundscape, with the ability to play tunes in true 5.1 surround sound. The addition of four overhead, ceiling-mounted speakers is what helps to produce the three-dimensional audio image, and really fills the cabin with sound, whether you’re sitting in the front or back.
The following 4 users liked this post by F23A4:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (06-06-2021), Legend2TL (06-04-2021), mapleloaf (06-08-2021), Tony Pac (06-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 12:17 PM
AZ Community Team

i think the ELS sound system is one the top systems out there, especially at this price point. Acura may have screwed up the last 10 years but their sound systems never disappointed. Now with the new design, better performance and a great sound system, Acura has a winning formula
Old 06-04-2021, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Changing gears:

....noteworthy comment referencing the TLX-S at 6:30 - 6:45; and he just finished shaking down the the TLX-S at Laguna Seca.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Changing gears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B9VLDXwY9Q&t=410s

....noteworthy comment referencing the TLX-S at 6:30 - 6:45; and he just finished shaking down the the TLX-S at Laguna Seca.
Definitely an eye-opener from Alex!
Old 06-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm wondering if press cars are out and about. Looks like a Type S in that promo.
The following 2 users liked this post by Camaro194:
F23A4 (06-07-2021), Tony Pac (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:21 PM
Racer

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts
One more review from the Cali event:

The following 2 users liked this post by Camaro194:
BOWA41 (06-07-2021), F23A4 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by Camaro194

I'm wondering if press cars are out and about. Looks like a Type S in that promo.
They talked about the Type S about 30 min in. They said they're filming the shop section tonight. Initial impressions is that they liked the dynamics of the car, and they even said it can do things you can't do in the 3-series (excluding the M3). However, they kept talking about how the engine is a letdown because it doesn't rev out, and it no longer feels special anymore. The old Type S felt special because of the engine even if the car wasn't as dynamic, but this one is the other way around.

Jack's issue with the engine is that you can put it into another car (Audi, BMW, Infiniti) and it would feel at home there; it doesn't feel like a Honda engine. And other turbocharged engines can be wound out (B58 has a 7K redline), but the Type S redlines at 6200. They do say it's not a bad car, and that it's a very good car, but it may not appeal to old school Honda/Acura fans.

Last edited by fiatlux; 06-07-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Camaro194 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts

This is nothing look alike?
There’s nothing alike here. The VW looks more like an accords interior. Not to mention the quality of materials is night and day.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:40 PM
AZ Community Team

There’s nothing alike here. The VW looks more like an accords interior. Not to mention the quality of materials is night and day.
sure there is no resemblance at all 🤣
Old 06-08-2021, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I am not sure how reliable his analysis is but I watched this the other day. I think it's a cool video about different brands and their sound system .Hope you enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLBX5r-3n3g
@pyrodan007
His testing is very thorough. It's interesting that after testing the 2021 TLX top end ELS system, he ranked it as the best system in a sedan he had heard. It is absolutely spectacular sound and one of the many reasons i consider my TLX an excellent value.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion