Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 02:30 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
If every car purchase decision is based on a drag race, why would anyone buy any vehicle other than M340i in this class?
With some dealerships marking the prices of the TLX-S at 65K+ I don't see why people won't buy a true performance sedan like the M340i which comes with more available options, more customized build color/trim options and after market support. Perhaps go and test drive the M340i and see what you get because it's more than a "straight line" performance vehicle.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:30 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Amazing! Great race. At least people saw now that The TYPE S is slower than S4. At least this will help them to focus on S4, 340, Genesis and C43. Sam is the man, he made everyone's life easier

Can someone help me where i can see similar topics about TYPE S and S4 in this forum? https://www.audizine.com/forum/forum...p/3-B5-S4-RS4?

thank you
In B5 forum?
Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Oh so you mean to tell me that an Acura event, which was an all paid expense for auto journalist, that the S4 lost because it was meant to lose? Like a rigged drag race?!
I find that pathetic and sad they did that. It’s also false advertising. I’m sure there’s a few purchase decisions based on that
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
In B5 forum?
sorry I just wanted to copy/paste the Audizine link. Let me correct.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
If every car purchase decision is based on a drag race, why would anyone buy any vehicle other than M340i in this class?
Totally!

I always say BMW is the King!
04WDPSeDaN (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Would you be saying this if it smoked the S4? All these cares are much more than 0-60 they also handle very well.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:40 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Kense
I find that pathetic and sad they did that. It’s also false advertising. I’m sure there’s a few purchase decisions based on that
BUT ACURA doesn't deceive it's customers or followers!!!!!!

I was told the SH-AWD is superior, the best of the best vs the rest. The engine was crafted by the hands of the NSX engine engineers. The twin scroll turbo charger never seen before, the 6 bolt mains which means serious business, the beefed up transmission to help those lighting quick 2,100 RPM launch controls. This is precision crafted performance meant to destroy the competition with competitive pricing.

The following 3 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-07-2021), mike03a3 (07-12-2021), pyrodan007 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I was told the SH-AWD is superior, the best of the best vs the rest. The engine was crafted by the hands of the NSX engine engineers. The twin scroll turbo charger never seen before, the 6 bolt mains which means serious business, the beefed up transmission to help those lighting quick 2,100 RPM launch controls. This is precision crafted performance meant to destroy the competition with competitive pricing.
I’m very disappointed. We were thinking of replacing the MDX with this. We don’t need the space anymore. The goal post keeps being moved with this car. The fact dealers are marking this up is madness
Old 07-07-2021, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
Exactly if the only metric that matters is speed then the BMW is bar none the car to buy in the 50-65k segment. The TLX-S vs S4 is a different conversation because I don't think buyers considering either of them is looking for best performance per dollar else the 340i is the only answer.

I know some are outraged that the Audi is faster or fell for marketing hype but you know at the end of the day, both of those cars are under 5s to 60 and 13-13.5s 1/4 mile cars, that's not exactly slow. The S4 looks like it has a half second on the TLX-S or so, it's also about ten grand less by time you option the Audi to be comparable. Still a tough call between those two IMO and honestly that's a bit of an achievement for Acura considering the absolute garbage they had on showroom floors just a couple years ago.
Because every other car in its segment, outside of the C43, is also lauded as being great daily drivers ... comfortable, capable and dynamic. Mercedes owners seem to be the biggest badge snobs, so I doubt they care that the C43 has had complaints by reviewers of having a "stiff ride." The TLX-S is a great daily driver, but so are the rest. Why would you get the slowest of the bunch? And with ADM, it makes even less sense as the value proposition, which is far and away the biggest advantage it has over the competition, evaporates.

Further, everyone likes to compare a fully optioned car against the TLX-S, failing to mention that with that comes features not even available on the TLX-S. An M340i as I would have it comes in at $59.3k S4 comes in at $55.6k and it has stuff on there I honestly don't want but is part of the "convenience package." I'm primarily, far and away, looking at what the car has to offer, not all the goodies attached to it.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:51 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
I’m very disappointed. We were thinking of replacing the MDX with this. We don’t need the space anymore. The goal post keeps being moved with this car. The fact dealers are marking this up is madness
I am sure you and a lot will love the Type-S for what it is. With a tune, it will be as quick. However, with the high mark-up price, there are plenty of others you can chose from, unless you are a die-hard fan like the early CTR owners.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts

I was told SH-AWD is rear biased too. LOL. So much for what little credibility they had. Acura marketing always pulls this shit. Swear to god they probably all worked in politics prior to joining Acura.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-07-2021), leomio2.0 (07-07-2021), vhtran (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Because every other car in its segment, outside of the C43, is also lauded as being great daily drivers ... comfortable, capable and dynamic. Mercedes owners seem to be the biggest badge snobs, so I doubt they care that the C43 has had complaints by reviewers of having a "stiff ride." The TLX-S is a great daily driver, but so are the rest. Why would you get the slowest of the bunch? And with ADM, it makes even less sense as the value proposition, which is far and away the biggest advantage it has over the competition, evaporates.

Further, everyone likes to compare a fully optioned car against the TLX-S, failing to mention that with that comes features not even available on the TLX-S. An M340i as I would have it comes in at $59.3k S4 comes in at $55.6k and it has stuff on there I honestly don't want but is part of the "convenience package." I'm primarily, far and away, looking at what the car has to offer, not all the goodies attached to it.
Before TLX -S, there must be another vehicle which would have been "slowest of the bunch", correct? Why do you think people were buying that vehicle?

Anyways, buy whichever car you deem appropriate and enjoy that vehicle!
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 07-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

Before TLX -S, there must be another vehicle which would have been "slowest of the bunch", correct? Why do you think people were buying that vehicle?
Yeah, and that car was the RS400. But I'm not sure many people were buying that car...

I'd love to see an RS400 vs Type S drag race. The winner gets to say it's not the slowest of the bunch .
Old 07-07-2021, 03:08 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Anyways, buy whichever car you deem appropriate and enjoy that vehicle!
Since 2009 Acura has produced a bunch of bland, bread and butter econo-boxes. The slowest and most basic keeps selling very well, the ILX. Fun fact, most Acura buyers prefer base models vs tech or advance. This shouldn't be a surprise to you if you actually followed Acura for the last 15+ years.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts

It's just a difference of perspective. I'm approaching my next car as I want AWD, something above average performance wise and a little more fun than an Accord as I fully expect this could be my last ICE purchase, a good stereo as I appreciate music and a well done stereo and a nice soft ride without spending an unholy amount of money. To me the performance isn't the most important factor as long as it's fairly quick and makes a good noise, which they all are and do. I want the bells and whistles (the Audi digital cockpit tempts me towards it more than that drag race today lol..), the better stereo, etc. If I didn't then yeah I get your point the S4 can be had for the same money and gets you better performance per dollar.

If I wanted a stop light drag king I'd be buying the 340i. I personally have never been a huge BMW guy, maybe someday, so I haven't given it much thought. To each their own and all that.

ADM is stupid and most wouldn't pay it so using the marked up price as a baseline for comparisons is silly. If people bought cars with ADM well I guess it's their money and all that but obviously not a smart move to put it very nicely.

Last edited by DubPK; 07-07-2021 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
a35tl (07-07-2021), leomio2.0 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Generally cars that are being sold as performance cars need to perform. Its a base reason to buy a performance car. Acura held the introduction at a race track, GM did not do that for the mid engine Corvette. Every freekin commercial & print add for a TLX is race oriented. They hyped the shit out of the most powerful Acura sedan yet. Its is but its also the fattest.

Why would someone pay an ADM or even MSRP for a car that did not deliver over the designated victim that ACURA themselves brought to the race track for the YouTubers to play with on a freebee track day excursion?

The TLX is a great family car & but Type-S can't kill a sitting target that is getting at the end of its life cycle. This was the car that some here said was going to give the M340 a hard time. What's the chance of them starting the whole BS train over again with an TLX-R type. Slogan - "This time we really, really mean it."

At $55,000 out of pocket its a very rich environment for mid level 4 door performance cars. Type-S goes for MSRP or ADM the other cars go for MSRP less incentives.
leomio2.0 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Yeah, and that car was the RS400. But I'm not sure many people were buying that car...

I'd love to see an RS400 vs Type S drag race. The winner gets to say it's not the slowest of the bunch .
From mere bench racing, the RS400 appears it would beat the Type-S in a drag and handily beat it from a roll. RS400 actually gets to 100MPH quicker, has a 4MPH higher trap speed in the 1/4 and a better 5-60 time compared to the S4 (C&D).

I'm honestly most surprised how poorly the Type-S did against the S4 from a roll.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

From mere bench racing, the RS400 appears it would beat the Type-S in a drag and handily beat it from a roll. RS400 actually gets to 100MPH quicker, has a 4MPH higher trap speed in the 1/4 and a better 5-60 time compared to the S4 (C&D).

I'm honestly most surprised how poorly the Type-S did against the S4 from a roll.
S4 weighs less, maybe near 375lbs. Thing I am surprised about as the day wears down is all the people who don't care about a drag race that watched the S4 VS Type-S drag race. Have to wonder what the comments would have been if the Type-S won.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Generally cars that are being sold as performance cars need to perform. Its a base reason to buy a performance car. Acura held the introduction at a race track, GM did not do that for the mid engine Corvette. Every freekin commercial & print add for a TLX is race oriented. They hyped the shit out of the most powerful Acura sedan yet. Its is but its also the fattest.

Why would someone pay an ADM or even MSRP for a car that did not deliver over the designated victim that ACURA themselves brought to the race track for the YouTubers to play with on a freebee track day excursion?

The TLX is a great family car & but Type-S can't kill a sitting target that is getting at the end of its life cycle. This was the car that some here said was going to give the M340 a hard time. What's the chance of them starting the whole BS train over again with an TLX-R type. Slogan - "This time we really, really mean it."

At $55,000 out of pocket its a very rich environment for mid level 4 door performance cars. Type-S goes for MSRP or ADM the other cars go for MSRP less incentives.
Because the TLX-S is the finest most precision crafted performance sedan with superior sh-awd ready to destroy the Germans on the Nurburging race track as you enjoy it's luxurious interior and listening to Andrea Bocelli crystal clear from the amazing ELS audio system. This my friend demands a higher price.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

I've said it in my little test drive review, but what the Type-S needs is more revs. That might make it slower 0-60, but at least once you're in the meat of the powerband it'll pull and keep up. With 1000 more RPMs and better top-end tuning, it might make enough power up top to keep up in a roll race. As it currently stands, the car short shifts around 5900 RPMs, even in Sport+ mode.

In years past, the reason you buy a Honda/Acura is for the sublime engine. The great handling is just the cherry on top. Seems like nowadays you buy an Acura for the SH-AWD system and handling, and the engine is nowhere to be found.

I guess I can't fault Acura...gas engines are a dying breed. Why invest more money now into a low volume V6T just to beat the competition when that money could be spent on EV development instead? They needed this V6T for the 1G 6 years ago, not today. VW has said they won't develop any new combustion engines, and the Germans have all started playing around with mild hybridization. Even the upcoming C63 AMG is rumored to become a 2.0L hybrid. Seems like Acura is perpetually stuck in catchup mode.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-07-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:37 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marketing better bring back the $2500 conquest/loyalty rebate and 0% financing for 60 mo or this sled will collect dust on dealer lots!
Old 07-07-2021, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
I am sure you and a lot will love the Type-S for what it is. With a tune, it will be as quick. However, with the high mark-up price, there are plenty of others you can chose from, unless you are a die-hard fan like the early CTR owners.
That's the thing though, people go with Acura since it's cheaper and has better reliability. But, as soon as you factor in tuning, price advantage shrinks and warranty goes out the door. In that case, may as well spend the extra money for peace of mind and out of the box performance.
The following 3 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-07-2021), leomio2.0 (07-07-2021), vhtran (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Forget drag racing, what does this car offer that others don’t because it’s not exactly a bargain. They should have priced this car at 48-50k. It would do much better at that price . Then it would be a bargain considering the ADM they are doing anyway

Last edited by Kense; 07-07-2021 at 03:53 PM.
leomio2.0 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
The roll race was the most instructive to me. Less to mess up than the other races. Looks closer to something like the CT5-V than any of the Germans. MT is also saying the CT5-V might be more fun to drive. Acura definitely is going to have to lean in on value once the newness wears off.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mec30
The roll race was the most instructive to me. Less to mess up than the other races. Looks closer to something like the CT5-V than any of the Germans. MT is also saying the CT5-V might be more fun to drive. Acura definitely is going to have to lean in on value once the newness wears off.
I wonder if this is the reason why we haven't seen any fully tested reviews released about this car.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:42 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Well, there go the ADM markups.... Once all the big rags release the results it will be very easy to buy the Type S most likely with deep discounts. I had a feeling something was off with that Redline Review.... Don't forget the press cars could have been running on higher boost as well. You just never know.

Sadly, I don't think this car will win with any of its competition. Stinger was neck in neck with the S4... It will gap the S as well and so will the G70. Tbh, the S4 didn't feel that much faster in my test drives.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmski
Well, there go the ADM markups.... Once all the big rags release the results it will be very easy to buy the Type S most likely with deep discounts. I had a feeling something was off with that Redline Review.... Don't forget the press cars could have been running on higher boost as well. You just never know.

Sadly, I don't think this car will win with any of its competition. Stinger was neck in neck with the S4... It will gap the S as well and so will the G70. Tbh, the S4 didn't feel that much faster in my test drives.
I think midrange the S4 and the TLX felt about the same, but the S4 top-end is better, and that's where the engine is going to be spinning during an all-out acceleration run. Midrange only matters for the initial gear you're in, whatever gear that may be; after that it's all top-end. The Type S just runs out of steam, very similar to the regular TLX. It should be quite telling that the car will upshift a couple hundred RPMs before an already low redline.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Forget drag racing, what does this car offer that others don’t because it’s not exactly a bargain. They should have priced this car at 48-50k. It would do much better at that price . Then it would be a bargain considering the ADM they are doing anyway
What does it offer that others don't? Nothing. There is no stand out reason one must buy this but cars are subjective purchases, biggest reason to buy the Type S is that you like the TLX and want the fun version of it and really that's about it. It's going to be the slowest in the segment so if bragging rights performance is what you're after this ain't it. If you're just looking for a quick luxury cruiser though then sure this is something of a value proposition still compared to the Germans. It's still a quick car that's going to be a great daily like any of the others in the segment. I honestly still don't think you can go wrong with any of them, they are all gonna be pretty fun to own, drive and live with. Pick what you like best and just enjoy it.

Last edited by DubPK; 07-07-2021 at 05:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DubPK:
a35tl (07-07-2021), BOWA41 (07-07-2021), Camaro194 (07-07-2021), Kense (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

I've said it in my little test drive review, but what the Type-S needs is more revs. That might make it slower 0-60, but at least once you're in the meat of the powerband it'll pull and keep up. With 1000 more RPMs and better top-end tuning, it might make enough power up top to keep up in a roll race. As it currently stands, the car short shifts around 5900 RPMs, even in Sport+ mode.

In years past, the reason you buy a Honda/Acura is for the sublime engine. The great handling is just the cherry on top. Seems like nowadays you buy an Acura for the SH-AWD system and handling, and the engine is nowhere to be found.

I guess I can't fault Acura...gas engines are a dying breed. Why invest more money now into a low volume V6T just to beat the competition when that money could be spent on EV development instead? They needed this V6T for the 1G 6 years ago, not today. VW has said they won't develop any new combustion engines, and the Germans have all started playing around with mild hybridization. Even the upcoming C63 AMG is rumored to become a 2.0L hybrid. Seems like Acura is perpetually stuck in catchup mode.
Expect the turbo is done. Had to shift my 335is N54 twin turbo at 6250 against a 7200 red line. The early N55's single dual path turbo was done around 5900. Running changes like going to a 4" outlet from 3.5" raise the shift point into the mid 6000's. My last N55 got well into the 6,000 range. Have not watched the dash gauge on the current B58 car. My HUD has a moving band without numbers so really don't know where the car does its auto shift. Will have to check it out.

BMW has pulled the torque converter out of the ZF8 & is running an electric motor there to cover any lag. C&D is guessing the M340 can drop to 3.5 on the 0-60 sprint from 3.8

Am sure Acura would like to get in front of the curve but Honda holds the purse strings.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-07-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Looks like Sam is lining up a Type S vs G70 3.3T run next. I proposed a TLX-S vs Accord Sport 2.0T run; could be the battle Honda most dreads.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-07-2021), leomio2.0 (07-07-2021), vhtran (07-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

I think midrange the S4 and the TLX felt about the same, but the S4 top-end is better, and that's where the engine is going to be spinning during an all-out acceleration run. Midrange only matters for the initial gear you're in, whatever gear that may be; after that it's all top-end. The Type S just runs out of steam, very similar to the regular TLX. It should be quite telling that the car will upshift a couple hundred RPMs before an already low redline.
I realized that on my test drive. Made note to spend the extra $449 for a Ktuner flash which I did recently; happy with the results.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
Looks like Sam is lining up a Type S vs G70 3.3T run next. I proposed a TLX-S vs Accord Sport 2.0T run; could be the battle Honda most dreads.

That's going to be very, very interesting to see. If the Type-S can't outrun the Accord 2.0T .... I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I'm sure from a dig it'll take the Accord, but from a roll where traction won't be an issue may be a different story.

Accord 2.0T = ~13.5lb/HP
Acura TLX-S = ~11.8lb/HP

And for comparison, Audi S4 = ~11.0lb/HP.

If the TLX-S doesn't beat out the Accord by a car or two, we know something is seriously hampering the performance of the car, and it's likely that the drivetrain is absolutely not up to the task. I'd be very weary of the so-called reliability of the car if in fact it is the case ... that drivetrain will likely be near its limit as is. I can only imagine the carnage if people try to put more power thru it with a tune. Of course, right now, this is purely speculation. I really can't wait for the Accord vs. TLX-S match-up.
F23A4 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Neither of those are going to be interesting though. G70 was neck and neck with the S4 so it's faster. Accord 2.0T is like 0-60: ~5.6s 1/4 mile: ~14 and we already know the TLX-S beats those numbers from amateur dragy's even so equally uninteresting.

TLX-S is slowest in the segment and this is the only drag we really needed to see to confirm that. Might be interesting to see what the tuner guys get out of the J30AC given some time, I'm sure it's tuned pretty conservatively like everything else Honda puts out.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the Type S vs. A4 will be the most interesting. Then an RS400. I really want to see if a Base A4 beats it considering it’s 60 time is better
Old 07-07-2021, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Didn't expect it to beat the S4 and was skeptical when they had the debut which kinda implied it was as quick or quicker. It's a larger, heavier car. Once the early buyers are out I suspect people may be getting it for sub 50k with incentives. Frankly if I didn't already have two TLX's and never drove the S5 and it was closer to the 3rd gen in size I would probably go for one. Heck, if it weighed close to the 3rd gen tl (about 500lb lighter maybe more) it would have showed a lot better. Still think at 50k or less it's a nice upgrade from the 4cyl TLX. It should be cheap to maintain and hold it's value a bit better than the 4cyl TLX variants. I did go the CPO path on the S5 as it was not much overall to trade out of the 18 tlx into the Audi relative to how much more fun and well appointed the car is (even the gas mileage is way better somehow). If buying new with the dealer markup it would make sense to drive an Audi/BMW as getting a nicely optioned one is not a huge jump once your up to or over 60k with the dealer markup which is crazy. Once the supply catches up and passes the demand it will be a good value for those that opt to go that route.

I also did notice in pics that Acura still has that problem with the loose leather. Same with both my tlx's. Not sure why they can't put some better quality leather in the car that doesn't wrinkle up and stay taut. The Nappa leather in my S5 still looks like new and no wrinkles with 30k miles where both my TLX's the leather wrinkled up and had a "loose" look in no time. Maybe not a fair comparison as the car is more expensive to begin with.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

That's going to be very, very interesting to see. If the Type-S can't outrun the Accord 2.0T .... I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I'm sure from a dig it'll take the Accord, but from a roll where traction won't be an issue may be a different story.

Accord 2.0T = ~13.5lb/HP
Acura TLX-S = ~11.8lb/HP

If the TLX-S doesn't beat out the Accord by a car or two, we know something is seriously hampering the performance of the car, and it's likely that the drivetrain is absolutely not up to the task. I'd be very weary of the so-called reliability of the car if in fact it is the case ... that drivetrain will likely be near its limit as is. I can only imagine the carnage if people try to put more power thru it with a tune. Of course, right now, this is purely speculation. I really can't wait for the Accord vs. TLX-S match-up.

leomio2.0 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Civic Type R would be more interesting. I was thinking the AHC dragy was a little slow but it looks like it's about right on. ~13.5 1/4 mile on the TLX-S vs ~12.8 1/4 mile on the S4, checks out based on the drag, I thought the TLX-S would be closer to a flat 13 but clearly not the case. CTR looks to be around ~13.6 1/4 mile stock so TLX-S might barely squeak that one out. Civic Type R runs away from the Accord 2.0T confidently though so there is no way in hell the Accord vs TLX-S is remotely interesting as itching as people are for the controversy that kind of embarrassment would cause lol.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DubPK
Neither of those are going to be interesting though. G70 was neck and neck with the S4 so it's faster. Accord 2.0T is like 0-60: ~5.6s 1/4 mile: ~14 and we already know the TLX-S beats those numbers from amateur dragy's even so equally uninteresting.

TLX-S is slowest in the segment and this is the only drag we really needed to see to confirm that. Might be interesting to see what the tuner guys get out of the J30AC given some time, I'm sure it's tuned pretty conservatively like everything else Honda puts out.
Interestingly enough, in that AHC video with the Type-S, it did the quarter mile in 13.59s @ 102.07MPH. C&D tested the 2.0T Accord and got 14.0s (so, no big contest from a dig) but a trap speed of 101MPH. That's why I'm interested. Once you take the traction advantage out of the equation with a roll race, what are these cars all about. If these cars are neck and neck, or the TLX-S is just nosing out the Accord, I just think it's a pretty sorry performance.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts

Accord 2.0T = ~13.5lb/HP
Acura TLX-S = ~11.8lb/HP

If you watch the roll race the gap is actually not that bad which is surprising. It got destroyed in Sport + mode with traction off. I wonder if the driver in the TLX was manually shifting which might have resulted in much worse results....

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion