Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 04:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by BBRL
Legend2TL -Thanks for your post on the TLX Type S Press Kit.
I hope they stopped using a Carbon Fiber drive shaft (specifically for the Tuners).
I queried at my dealer, but they had no idea.
I luckily locked in my color scheme 👍. Sweet Ride❗❗
Congrats on your Type-S purchase, your welcome on the Press Kit post. There's some interesting detail and info in there.
I think the 2G RL carbon fiber driveshaft was pretty cool, pretty interesting CF application

Old 06-27-2021, 05:14 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

In the video, he claims Acura quotes the 0 to 60 time at 4.5 seconds.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Old 06-28-2021, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
The more I see the tiger eye pearl in different videos the more it's becoming a bit of a turn off? At first I was thinking "wow it's a unique color" but the more videos I see the more it seems like it's not that great a shade of yellow and just looks brown in lower light and disco-gold bowling ball in the sun. Also that color is probably going to be more of a cop magnet than red even is.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by dr/owned
The more I see the tiger eye pearl in different videos the more it's becoming a bit of a turn off? At first I was thinking "wow it's a unique color" but the more videos I see the more it seems like it's not that great a shade of yellow and just looks brown in lower light and disco-gold bowling ball in the sun. Also that color is probably going to be more of a cop magnet than red even is.
Yeah same a little. I was pretty high on the color for a while but Apex Blue + Red Interior is growing on me a bit over Tiger Eye.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:33 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Another positive review. He recommended it over the Audi S4 and Mercedes C43 AMG, but mostly due to the price advantage. Biggest criticism was the transmission response when not in Sport+ (which can be fixed in either Individual mode or going into Sport+). Also he got 0-60 in 4.7 seconds without using launch control (he actually didn't know the Type S has it).
The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
BOWA41 (06-29-2021), Tony Pac (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 10:59 AM
AZ Community Team

The 2021 Acura TLX Type S Is a Shockingly Sporty Sedan from Acura

And here's........Doug
and all the quirks and features

The following users liked this post:
Flapjackura (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 11:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
And here's........Doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6CIi0ZJ70
So busy at work. What did he say? Will watch it later lol. He is weird but I will take his positive and negative feedback and enjoy/laugh!
Old 06-29-2021, 12:40 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Damn, so busy with work and has been away from the forums for weeks.

@Tony Pac Doug, the type of guy people always make fun of but yet subscribe to his channel to watch his awesome reviews. His review on the Type-S is pretty accurate to what we have been talking about, especially the quirks.

Since I have been off the forum for few weeks, who has picked up the Type-S?
Old 06-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Weird, he said the car feels fast but the handling is disappointing. I had the exact opposite reaction during my test drive. Also looks like he's parroting Acura's claim that this is a rear-biased AWD system. I guess if you say something enough times, it becomes accepted as truth?
Old 06-29-2021, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
Yeah same a little. I was pretty high on the color for a while but Apex Blue + Red Interior is growing on me a bit over Tiger Eye.
Agreed with the both of you. I suspose Tiger Eye is intended to make it stand out as a Type S model, whereas a Type S in Performance Red and Apex Blue could be easily mistaken for an A-Spec at first glance.

But absolutely an acquired taste.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alpha0
He also mentioned about rear leg room saying the vehicle is of 5 series size with 3 series leg room, he does not realize that TLX only has 0,5 inch less combined leg room than 5 series (or for what it counts, 5 series has only 0.7 inch more combined leg room than 3 series).
I'm not sure why the numbers are so close, but sitting in the back of a 5-series with the front seat adjusted for myself, I feel like there's at least a couple inches more room than in the 3-series. I'm not sure how standardized legroom measurements are, but it's a pretty noticable difference IMO. It's very possible that the TLX has a lot of front legroom, but the dash and pedals are placed so far back that you end up having to sit further back than you normally have to.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
The gold will most likely grow old for most people quickly. This porsche gold is probably the only shade of it I would consider in any shade of gold.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:43 PM
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
And here's........Doug

Ah, Doug. He's like the Joe Cocker of Youtube car journalists. Endearingly spastic
CheeseyPoofs McNut (07-01-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Ah, Doug. He's like the Joe Cocker of Youtube car journalists. Endearingly spastic
So true!
Old 06-29-2021, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm really curious how much a tune alone will do for this car
Old 06-30-2021, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclyzed
I'm really curious how much a tune alone will do for this car
Same. I would assume, with bolt-ons + tune, it would be able to get to high-300/low-400wHP, depending on the turbo. I'm very curious what the limit of the drivetrain will be once someone slaps a larger turbo on there.

Genuinely curious ... the car has been "on sale" for a week now, yet still not in-depth reviews by the big name car reviewers. Anyone know the reason behind this? I know the cars technically haven't hit lots yet, but they're taking orders. I would think Acura would want to generate hype right around now by having the likes of C&D, M/T, Motorweek, etc and all the YouTubers throwing out their full reviews right about now.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Same. I would assume, with bolt-ons + tune, it would be able to get to high-300/low-400wHP, depending on the turbo. I'm very curious what the limit of the drivetrain will be once someone slaps a larger turbo on there.

Genuinely curious ... the car has been "on sale" for a week now, yet still not in-depth reviews by the big name car reviewers. Anyone know the reason behind this? I know the cars technically haven't hit lots yet, but they're taking orders. I would think Acura would want to generate hype right around now by having the likes of C&D, M/T, Motorweek, etc and all the YouTubers throwing out their full reviews right about now.
It is kind of suspect. It's almost as if there's some sort of NDA in place. But, I have this feeling that acceleration times wont be leaps and bounds quicker than the Accord Sport 2.0T.....which could make the Type S come across as an epic fail.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
It is kind of suspect. It's almost as if there's some sort of NDA in place. But, I have this feeling that acceleration times wont be leaps and bounds quicker than the Accord Sport 2.0T.....which could make the Type S come across as an epic fail.
I thought C&D already pegged the Type S at 4.6 sec, no? That's about a second faster than the Accord, right?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-type-s-drive/
Old 06-30-2021, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELIN
I thought C&D already pegged the Type S at 4.6 sec, no? That's about a second faster than the Accord, right?

They haven't put it through their official set of tests yet, those are just estimates based on whatever tools they had along with them at the press event, probably a Dragy or something similar. Most everyone seems to be getting pretty consistently under 5, official tests I'd bet it's somewhere around 4.5-4.8s. So it's about .7-1s faster than the Accord yeah. Any worries that the TLX-S is going to be barely faster than an Accord are fairly unwarranted.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
ELIN (07-01-2021), one4all (07-02-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Think they feel the bottom feeder youtubers will parrot back the Acura talking points in hopes of getting another car to review. Acura is working hard to create a buzz about this car.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:26 AM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Tangent incoming:

Easily over 400whp with a tune on the stock turbo. They sort of gave it away in their own press deck where the "2.0T" curve is exactly the same wheel hp and tq as dynos have shown (about 280tq/280hp). I suspect the ratings they give on the 3.0T of 355hp/tq is probably going to end up being the actual whp ratings. 2.0T tuned did +88tq and +60hp:

It seems weird they let the Accord rev out much further past the turbo running out of puff. The J30 has a shorter stroke (86x86) than the J35 which revs fine out to 7000. It's not going to matter though if we don't get a tune that changes the forced shift points though. (Who knows though maybe they wanted to rely on the 10 gears shifting quickly to keep it accelerating instead of having it rev out)

Last edited by dr/owned; 07-01-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:30 AM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts
I call him the McDonald's of car reviewers. And that's not to be disrespectful. I've met Doug. He's cool. But he's McDonald's, his style appeals to almost everyone.

Originally Posted by ELIN

C&D tested 2021 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT: 60-mph sprint in 5.4 seconds and a quarter-mile pass in 14.0 seconds at 101 mph. For a midsize family sedan under $30K, that's pretty crazy. Not even 15 years ago, those were sports cars numbers.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
I call him the McDonald's of car reviewers. And that's not to be disrespectful. I've met Doug. He's cool. But he's McDonald's, his style appeals to almost everyone.

C&D tested 2021 Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT: 60-mph sprint in 5.4 seconds and a quarter-mile pass in 14.0 seconds at 101 mph. For a midsize family sedan under $30K, that's pretty crazy. Not even 15 years ago, those were sports cars numbers.
...and let's not forget the long term test on the original 18 Accord 2.0T with that 13.9 seconds at 104 mph. Granted, I have the Type S pegged at 13.3 seconds @ 108 mph but we'll see.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I was leaning more towards it not being as quick as zee German competition. Even still, any press is good press. We already know it won't be as fast, but unless you have some missing brain neurons, you should have known this from the stats of it being the heaviest with the least amount of power compared to the German and Korean competition. It has plenty more going for it, so you'd think they'd try to time full reviews around the time they were officially launching the car.

Tangent incoming:

Easily over 400whp with a tune on the stock turbo. They sort of gave it away in their own press deck where the "2.0T" curve is exactly the same wheel hp and tq as dynos have shown (about 280tq/280hp). I suspect the ratings they give on the 3.0T of 355hp/tq is probably going to end up being the actual whp ratings. 2.0T tuned did +88tq and +60hp:

It seems weird they let the Accord rev out much further past the turbo running out of puff. The J30 has a shorter stroke (86x86) than the J35 which revs fine out to 7000. It's not going to matter though if we don't get a tune that changes the forced shift points though. (Who knows though maybe they wanted to rely on the 10 gears shifting quickly to keep it accelerating instead of having it rev out)
Have you test driven it yet? It does not feel at all like it's underrated. Also, I feel that they went with a very small turbo to help with quick spool times, which is why you have that massive amount of low end torque, and the car doesn't build any power above ~5800RPM. When driving it, I felt it was tuned more towards quick darts around town, not a top end sprinter. For tuners, this will potentially hinder them making large amounts more power without swapping the turbo out. I say potentially because I don't know for a fact what turbo they used, I'm simply speculating at this point. I hope you're right that this thing will make good power with just bolt-ons and a tune.

And on a real dyno ... not the dyno queen ones that are telling CTR owners they can get 470+wHP from bolt-ons and a tune with pump gas. It's incredibly sus when certain cars are making 100wHP more with the same exact mods. Unless they're running race/E85 without telling anyone for bragging rights.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
To me, it's just ticky-tacky-pimp-daddy piss-yellow gold.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
So busy at work. What did he say? Will watch it later lol. He is weird but I will take his positive and negative feedback and enjoy/laugh!
Overall Doug liked it, surprisingly he liked the acceleration and power but was less keen on the handling which was the opposite of SG. Amusingly he and I also didn't like some of the same things in the interior, analog instrument cluster with small center digital display, cramped back seats, lack of USB chargers in back seats.

Originally Posted by vhtran
Damn, so busy with work and has been away from the forums for weeks.

@Tony Pac Doug, the type of guy people always make fun of but yet subscribe to his channel to watch his awesome reviews. His review on the Type-S is pretty accurate to what we have been talking about, especially the quirks.

Since I have been off the forum for few weeks, who has picked up the Type-S?
I must say he truly gets fascination about alot of the more unusual features and functions in cars.

yeah that's a good analogy.
My brother purchased a BMW/Alpina B6 on his "Cars and Bids" this spring and he was pleased with the overall transaction so gotta give credit to Doug for capitalizing on a alternative to Bring a Trailer.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I actually enjoyed this comparison video between the A-Spec and Type S:

Old 07-01-2021, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
I actually enjoyed this comparison video between the A-Spec and Type S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5W-GAiucNM

Didn't realize the type S doesn't have side skirts standard. What's with that? Didn't realize they got rid of sideskirts with 2021 on the Aspec either. They add a lot to the look and the type S should have them since it doesn't have much outside of a lip added to the front spoiler body wise different than the Aspec. Well there is the hollowed out grill all though I think the other one looks a little better.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
I was leaning more towards it not being as quick as zee German competition. Even still, any press is good press. We already know it won't be as fast, but unless you have some missing brain neurons, you should have known this from the stats of it being the heaviest with the least amount of power compared to the German and Korean competition. It has plenty more going for it, so you'd think they'd try to time full reviews around the time they were officially launching the car.

Have you test driven it yet? It does not feel at all like it's underrated. Also, I feel that they went with a very small turbo to help with quick spool times, which is why you have that massive amount of low end torque, and the car doesn't build any power above ~5800RPM. When driving it, I felt it was tuned more towards quick darts around town, not a top end sprinter. For tuners, this will potentially hinder them making large amounts more power without swapping the turbo out. I say potentially because I don't know for a fact what turbo they used, I'm simply speculating at this point. I hope you're right that this thing will make good power with just bolt-ons and a tune.

And on a real dyno ... not the dyno queen ones that are telling CTR owners they can get 470+wHP from bolt-ons and a tune with pump gas. It's incredibly sus when certain cars are making 100wHP more with the same exact mods. Unless they're running race/E85 without telling anyone for bragging rights.
It's not that small of a turbo, and that's not the reason it has very little lag. It's a twin scroll model that is not all that small. Why...because it has "2 pathways of exh. gasses" feeding the
impellers in the turbo. One path comes from one bank of 3 cylinders, and the other path from the other bank. So it takes extra material, thus size, to have those pathways leading in to
the turbo housing and thus the twin impellers. One impeller is smaller than the other....thus, the engineers were able to do away with most any "turbo lag." Look it up.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:52 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Weird, he said the car feels fast but the handling is disappointing. I had the exact opposite reaction during my test drive. Also looks like he's parroting Acura's claim that this is a rear-biased AWD system. I guess if you say something enough times, it becomes accepted as truth?
Usually a test driver has certain expectations going in to a review and drive. Based on their pre conceived ideas of what the vehicle is "supposed to be" as told by...??? Hmmmm....whomever.
IF they understand the "lane" that a certain vehicle is in...and don't put it in the "Ferrari lane" then they can more accurately write about what they see and feel, etc.
The Type S has it's own "niche lane" it's in and too many expect it to be able to out run all other vehicles...or most it seems. It is what it is....and in my thoughts, it does a really good job
of the lane it's in. No perfect car out there...never has been, never will be. I've owned over 60 and can easily find something "wrong" with all of them. The really good ones have a list
of "bad things" or "not so great..could have done better" is very short. That's when we pick "that car." Least amount of "oh crap!" Why doesn't it have this or that...or why won't it go .2 sec faster
0 to 60...etc. Does that make it not buyable?? Kinda funny. All in my H.O....and many vehicles owned, driven, worked on, etc.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Old 07-02-2021, 08:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Doug is the real deal. Released the TYPE S review 2 days ago and close to 600K views, We may agree or disagree with his review but he got the fans and interest of people to watch his weirdo reviews hahah!
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
bilirubin (07-02-2021), loki (07-02-2021), vhtran (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 03:48 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Doug is the real deal. Released the TYPE S review 2 days ago and close to 600K views, We may agree or disagree with his review but he got the fans and interest of people to watch his weirdo reviews hahah!
Your Pals don't seem to agree

someguy11 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Your Pals don't seem to agree
The FB group gives Elon fans a run for their money in terms of how over-zealous they are. What you get with FB groups are people who are less knowedgable, with less experience, with stronger opinions, and with questionable intelligence, all mingling in a massive echo chamber.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-03-2021), someguy11 (07-02-2021), vhtran (07-07-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 03:11 AM
Instructor

I have to say after finally getting to drive one myself, Savagegeese review probably most accurately describes this car. It's very competent, pretty fun to throw around a bit, makes a good sound (exhaust) without being over the top about it, stereo system even with satellite radio is impressive, true touch is surprisingly intuitive but should've still been a touch screen IMO, switching driving modes actually produces noticeable changes, especially in the steering, while comfort is basically indistinguishable from the advance model (drove both as I wanted to compare). Power seemed good enough for what it is but not super impressive off the line, it's like at launch / lower RPM's the engine just doesn't quite have enough power to really rocket all 4200lbs of car it's saddled with but once you get it moving and hang out in the upper parts of the power band (something sport+ mode does remarkably well) it will tug you back into your seat decently and make you smile.

Good luxury cruiser with a little extra fun when you want it, think a lot of people will be happy with it if their expectations were reasonably placed.
The following 3 users liked this post by DubPK:
a35tl (07-03-2021), ELIN (07-03-2021), Tony Pac (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 07:28 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I watched the Doug review and thought to myself "people watch these cringe reviews on a regular basis?". Him complaining about the handling and then only showing footage driving in a straight line on the highway was enough for me to not care about his opinion much.
ELIN (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 07:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mikedub88
I watched the Doug review and thought to myself "people watch these cringe reviews on a regular basis?". Him complaining about the handling and then only showing footage driving in a straight line on the highway was enough for me to not care about his opinion much.
Dough is a special guy, I think you just watch his reviews for fun and don’t worry about what he says. If you want a real review, opinion and technical info, there is SG. Those guys know their sh1t.

Everyone that has driven the Type S says the car isn’t fast but handles very well. Dough said the opposite but it’s Dough and he got millions of followers for a reason
Old 07-03-2021, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mikedub88
ya take Dougs handling reviews with a grain of salt. Shawd is only really on display when the car is pushed, i dont think ive seen him drive a car even on back roads in the last 2 years. Just highway runs and through the streets. That doesnt mean that he isnt acurate about handling in the sense of the “feel” of the car. I dont doubt that at low speeds a 3 series feels more tossable or darty then the type s. Type S weighs a lot more and that weight is in the front end. When your driving through a parking lot its going to drive like the front wheel drive car it is. -disclaimer- still waiting for mine to arrive so my thoughts on that are speculative and physics related.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sombasol
ya take Dougs handling reviews with a grain of salt. Shawd is only really on display when the car is pushed, i dont think ive seen him drive a car even on back roads in the last 2 years. Just highway runs and through the streets. That doesnt mean that he isnt acurate about handling in the sense of the “feel” of the car. I dont doubt that at low speeds a 3 series feels more tossable or darty then the type s. Type S weighs a lot more and that weight is in the front end. When your driving through a parking lot its going to drive like the front wheel drive car it is. -disclaimer- still waiting for mine to arrive so my thoughts on that are speculative and physics related.
Yeah, understood. To me the new Type S is at least significantly more nimble than the last gen TLX (even with the added weight) of which I have had 2. That's not saying a much though but it is an improvement. Latest SH-AWD generation and more rigid chassis go a long way.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion