2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 02:19 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Are you suggesting that it’s a third world problem? Seems a bit extreme to put it on the same level as access to clean water and electricity, but glad you agree that it’s a valid problem .
Old 10-28-2020, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
You just did.
Don't worry, others will continue because some don't roll over blank statements either. Your aspec is better because of the testing other members did with the late 2015-2017 changes.
And if you refuse to use comfort or normal mode, well you can't say you "don't have an issue with it's performance".

Last edited by pyrodan007; 10-28-2020 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
See, this is what I mean. No matter what you say, the 1G crumudgeons are lurking in the shadows waiting to jump out and remind you your car sucks!
Most people probably are fine with the later years ZF9, but any driving enthusiast likely is less than enthused. I struggle every day as I want to buy out my 19 ASPEC lease, but every time I drive it the ZF9 has me doubting it. I wanted to buy it and hope the 2G TLX MMC Type-S in 3 years will be what I want or that a PMC edition will come out.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Don't worry, others will continue because some don't roll over blank statements either. Your aspec is better because of the testing other members did with the late 2015-2017 changes.
And if you refuse to use comfort or normal mode, well you can't say you "don't have an issue with it's performance".
Quote me right, "Like the rest of you experts." Plus, there's no "comfort" mode.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Quote me right, "Like the rest of you experts." Plus, there's no "comfort" mode.
Its really very simple - word from the experts - different makes have different labeling systems. Comfort, Drive, Normal whatever are all the same thing, the base default setting of the transmission. All the other settings (names) are changes from the base default.

Comfort comes in because the base default position on my transmission also keys the base default throttle map and the base default softer suspension settings. Some cars have more features than others but all have a base transmission setting. You can even select the chassis functions separately from the engine transmission functions.

This one is my 135 its a old one from 2013. New cars are a bit more sophisticated.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its really very simple - word from the experts - different makes have different labeling systems. Comfort, Drive, Normal whatever are all the same thing, the base default setting of the transmission. All the other settings (names) are changes from the base default.

Comfort comes in because the base default position on my transmission also keys the base default throttle map and the base default softer suspension settings. Some cars have more features than others but all have a base transmission setting. You can even select the chassis functions separately from the engine transmission functions.

This one is my 135 its a old one from 2013. New cars are a bit more sophisticated.

What are you trying to prove? Are trying to be disrespectful? I know damn well what drive modes are and that they may have different names on other brands. Here, it's real simple, on the 1G it's Eco, Normal, Sport, and Sport+. No comfort, and Eco or Normal have no impact on comfort in the TLX ASpec, just throttle response, piped in engine noise, steering feel, and climate control operations.

Please, I've had no issue with you before, but I don't appreciate condescending posts. Let's not go down this road any further.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-28-2020 at 08:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnage719:
dio (10-29-2020), Ludepower (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Please, I've had no issue with you before, but I don't appreciate condescending posts. Let's not go down this road any further.
Your posts are condescending to people who had issues.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Not really a review but someone posted the pictures of his new TLX A-SPEC on Facebook group. The pics look awesome. Those who want to hear from a current owner who just got one, check it out:

"TlX 2021 have massive low end torque vs my previous v6 SH! And more powerful.. I Don't feel the car is heavy, the ecu is perfectly tuned no major lag...i feel the car drive very planted! I like 2021 is an upgrade vs previous gen! I recommend!"

The gentleman got a 2021 TLX A-SPEC, 2019+ RDX A-SPEC and a Honda S2000.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:15 AM
AZ Community Team

https://www.auto123.com/en/car-revie...-review/67537/
Old 10-29-2020, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

What are you trying to prove? Are trying to be disrespectful? I know damn well what drive modes are and that they may have different names on other brands. Here, it's real simple, on the 1G it's Eco, Normal, Sport, and Sport+. No comfort, and Eco or Normal have no impact on comfort in the TLX ASpec, just throttle response, piped in engine noise, steering feel, and climate control operations.

Not to worry, was just responding to you statement "Plus, there's no "comfort mode.". I don't know you or what you know but since this is a general forum read by a lot of guys with varying experience it seemed like a good plan to explain what the terminology "Comfort Mode", that you took issue with & I have, was comparable to in what you have in the Acura.

Main thing is I believe you are short selling the features of the TLX since Acura says this:

The Acura TLX also comes standard with Normal, Economy, Sport and Sport+ driving modes. Each mode alters throttle response, transmission shift points and power steering assistance. ... The TLX's standard eight-speed automatic transmission earns praise for its fast, smooth shifts.

I expect the new TypeS will look closer to my 135is chart than what you have now since the TL/TLX did not in the past have a real time suspension whos settings could be combined with the engine & transmission settings. Used the old chart because I did not have a current one.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

In any case, the TLX's primary mission is to carry its passengers in comfort, and the TLX does that very well without inflicting pain at the pump: when it comes to fuel consumption, the official average is 10.5 L/100 km (combined).
When using liters, that consumption is on the fairly high side for a 4 cylinder. His comments seem fair and mimics many others, it's ok but wait for Type-S
Old 10-29-2020, 12:11 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Not really a review but someone posted the pictures of his new TLX A-SPEC on Facebook group. The pics look awesome. Those who want to hear from a current owner who just got one, check it out:

"TlX 2021 have massive low end torque vs my previous v6 SH! And more powerful.. I Don't feel the car is heavy, the ecu is perfectly tuned no major lag...i feel the car drive very planted! I like 2021 is an upgrade vs previous gen! I recommend!"

The gentleman got a 2021 TLX A-SPEC, 2019+ RDX A-SPEC and a Honda S2000.
I drove the new TLX (Advance, SH-AWD) and personally didn't think it had "Massive" low end torque. It had what I would consider, at best a decent acceleration when everything aligned. Compared to my vehicles, the TQ on the TLX was a joke, no offense. When you experience other vehicles, you get a sense of what performance is and the TLX isn't what I would consider a high performance vehicle TO MY STANDARDS. Perhaps to others, it's great. In perspective, it's like saying my tuned M40i has MASSIVE low end TQ compared to the 2020 NSX I drove. The NSX is by far all the bragging rights. The acceleration is brutal, especially at low end. Take it for what it's worth, the TLX is an over priced sedan with decent performance. This isn't the Acura the loyalist wanted and not for the price point. I feel way more connected in my TL than I did with the TLX including my other vehicles. The biggest improvement on the new TLX was the interior (every other trim other than the base) vs the previous gen. My personal opinion again, the vehicle felt heavy, but solid if that makes sense. I did experience the delay however under normal driving conditions, it's not an issue. It's an issue when you hit the "pedal to the metal" WOT that there's a delay depending on the drive mode and other conditions like current speed and what gear the trans is in.
Tony Pac (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I drove the new TLX (Advance, SH-AWD) and personally didn't think it had "Massive" low end torque. It had what I would consider, at best a decent acceleration when everything aligned. Compared to my vehicles, the TQ on the TLX was a joke, no offense. When you experience other vehicles, you get a sense of what performance is and the TLX isn't what I would consider a high performance vehicle TO MY STANDARDS. Perhaps to others, it's great. In perspective, it's like saying my tuned M40i has MASSIVE low end TQ compared to the 2020 NSX I drove. The NSX is by far all the bragging rights. The acceleration is brutal, especially at low end. Take it for what it's worth, the TLX is an over priced sedan with decent performance. This isn't the Acura the loyalist wanted and not for the price point. I feel way more connected in my TL than I did with the TLX including my other vehicles. The biggest improvement on the new TLX was the interior (every other trim other than the base) vs the previous gen. My personal opinion again, the vehicle felt heavy, but solid if that makes sense. I did experience the delay however under normal driving conditions, it's not an issue. It's an issue when you hit the "pedal to the metal" WOT that there's a delay depending on the drive mode and other conditions like current speed and what gear the trans is in.
To be fair apparently his other car is an S2000, so compared to that the TLX is an absolute torque monster
04WDPSeDaN (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Funny thing, Just read Tony Pac's latest test link & it looks like the new TLX-2 is introducing "Comfort Mode" to its lexicon.

"Of course, thanks to that central turn-wheel that modifies the firmness of the steering and the dynamism of the powertrain, the TLX can play the role of a quiet and uneventful sedan (Comfort mode), a car with modestly sporty aspirations (Normal), or a sport sedan (Sport). The latter delivers the most-aggressive drive, especially for the "electronic" rumble of the powertrain (Acura amplifies the sound of the turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, which some feel is an abomination and others find pleasing. For my part, I find it acceptable)."

Expect my 135is chart now fits the TLX much better

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-29-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

At this point, it's all semantics. Comfort, Eco, Pure, Intelligent, etc. are all just different names for the same basic thing (except for Mercedes, where Comfort is the Normal mode).
Old 10-29-2020, 01:19 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

To be fair apparently his other car is an S2000, so compared to that the TLX is an absolute torque monster
well, that make perfect sense now..
Old 10-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

At this point, it's all semantics. Comfort, Eco, Pure, Intelligent, etc. are all just different names for the same basic thing (except for Mercedes, where Comfort is the Normal mode).
Comfort is also the BMW 8ZF normal mode. Unless you set it up differently its the mode that is loaded anytime you start the car. In my case I use the "individual" setting to load Sport+ when I start it & if I want Comfort, AKA Wife aboard mode, I need to push the Comfort Button. Comfort also defaults to stop/start which can be locked out with a button push. The other modes except ECO lock it out automatically.

Top button OFF with skid marks cuts the nannies out to specific levels by how long the button is held & what driving mode the car is in. Very dangerous on the street to press & hold this one to kill all the nannies as you can quickly get in way over your head. Cost me a win in a wet track rat race at the driving school.

P with the curves & triangle is simply the front parking radar toggle.

As I said the chart is an old one from 2013 & currently a few more modes have been added to add to the confusion. Have to admit have never used them.

The Adaptive Driving Mode

A unique driving mode, separate from COMFORT, ECO PRO, and SPORT. While driving in Adaptive Driving Mode, the vehicle
does not switch to COMFORT or SPORT mode automatically. However, characteristics of COMFORT or SPORT will be implemented, depending on the situation.

The vehicle is considering many factor to determine the optimal drive feel. Along with acceleration, steering, and speed, the vehicle is also factoring in driving conditions, braking, cornering speed, input from the xDrive system and Navigation data.

When the Navigation system has an active guidance, the Navigation data is used to anticipate curves, crossroads and type of street or road that you are driving on. For example, it can select the optimum transmission gear in advance, potentially enhancing efficiency.​

Auto H

This system assists the driver by automatically setting and releasing the parking brake, such as when moving in stop-and-go traffic. The vehicle is automatically held in place when it is stationary. On inclines, the system prevents the vehicle from rolling backward when driving away.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:03 PM
Racer

Not to worry, was just responding to you statement "Plus, there's no "comfort mode.". I don't know you or what you know but since this is a general forum read by a lot of guys with varying experience it seemed like a good plan to explain what the terminology "Comfort Mode", that you took issue with & I have, was comparable to in what you have in the Acura.

Main thing is I believe you are short selling the features of the TLX since Acura says this:

The Acura TLX also comes standard with Normal, Economy, Sport and Sport+ driving modes. Each mode alters throttle response, transmission shift points and power steering assistance. ... The TLX's standard eight-speed automatic transmission earns praise for its fast, smooth shifts.

I expect the new TypeS will look closer to my 135is chart than what you have now since the TL/TLX did not in the past have a real time suspension whos settings could be combined with the engine & transmission settings. Used the old chart because I did not have a current one.
I understand the operation of my drive modes, but thanks. Sorry, for jumping on you, but there's been overt nitpicking on my previous posts. Let's move on as these aren't 2G review comments.
BEAR-AvHistory (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 11:16 PM
AZ Community Team

thanks for the clarification. With all fairness and respect to this gentleman, I think he used the word massive since his first language is French. Or may be he compared the new TLX to his 1st Gen.

04WDPSeDaN (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:47 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
thanks for the clarification. With all fairness and respect to this gentleman, I think he used the word massive since his first language is French. Or may be he compared the new TLX to his 1st Gen.
Naw, his point of comparison wasn’t an M40i. I’d think once you buy something like a M40i you’d graduate to another level altogether and quit slumming in a forum devoted to a more plebeian machine. I might be wrong, but I’m thinking that the cost difference probably exceeds the cost of a new Civic. Sorry, I just don’t get this snobbery thing. If you got any $46,000 sedans you want to compare to the new TLX please do. I don’t see the relevancy of comparing the car to vehicles that have an MSRP that’s 10k plus more. The owner in question was comparing his TLX to his old TLX V6 SHAWD not a damn M340i 🤷🏻‍♂️. There’s no need to make excuses for the conclusion he arrived at.

Last edited by Honda430; 10-30-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Honda430
Naw, his point of comparison wasn’t an M40i. I’d think once you buy something like a M40i you’d graduate to another level altogether and quit slumming in a forum devoted to a more plebeian machine. I might be wrong, but I’m thinking that the cost difference probably exceeds the cost of a new Civic. Sorry, I just don’t get this snobbery thing. If you got any $46,000 sedans you want to compare to the new TLX please do. I don’t see the relevancy of comparing the car to vehicles that have an MSRP that’s 10k plus more. The owner in question was comparing his TLX to his old TLX V6 SHAWD not a damn M340i 🤷🏻‍♂️. There’s no need to make excuses for the conclusion he arrived at.
The MSRP may be more, but the market price (especially when you're comparing total cost to lease) is comparable, if not lower for the BMW. And ultimately it's the market price that matters since that's the price you and me are paying.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:18 AM
Pro

The MSRP may be more, but the market price (especially when you're comparing total cost to lease) is comparable, if not lower for the BMW. And ultimately it's the market price that matters since that's the price you and me are paying.
Got you. The market has forced BMW to offer $8k in discounts on their sedans. That same market will eventually discount the selling price of the new TLX. No doubt at one point BMW was trying to sell their model at sticker. Attacking Acura for testing the market in the same way BMW has In my view is being a bit unreasonable.
iforyou (10-31-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 01:36 AM
Pro

Just a question, if you were looking to keep a car 5-7 years would you buy a BMW?
Old 10-30-2020, 02:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Just a question, if you were looking to keep a car 5-7 years would you buy a BMW?
Had a 2004 for 10 years & a current on is a 2013 bought in late 2012. Had more issues & more serious issue with my 2006 TL that I had for 5 years than both these cars put together. None of the others 2011, 2014, 2018 that were in service for 3/4 years had anything but normal maintenance except for a 2011 that had some bad injectors replaced under warranty. The 2020 is too new to comment on other than its a smile when you drive it car.

Truth is based on personal experience and reporting by most major quality reporting services I would not look to a current Acura as a long service car. Think that train left the station a long time ago.

BTW never got a BMW at MSRP, they were always discounted some more than others but always in the multi-thousands.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-30-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:34 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Anytime and understood! Everyone has their own perspective on certain things, so I respect everyone's opinion. If you haven't already, go and test drive the TLX and i'm sorry if you did. I'm not as active in this section since the conversations tend to go south.

I'm assuming you're directing this to my comment? If you are, please don't take this the wrong way, they are strictly my opinion on the matter. We don't all have to agree and that's fine. I DID NOT come off in any snob way, so sorry if you felt that way but maybe let down the aggressiveness towards anyone that may not fully agree with the new TLX.. For the record, I own an M40i not a M340i and also own a pristine condition 04 supercharged 6MT TL. Congratulations on your TLX, there's no need to prove to anyone that you're happy with the vehicle. After all, the only person it should matter to is YOU.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 10-30-2020 at 07:36 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Pro

Anytime and understood! Everyone has their own perspective on certain things, so I respect everyone's opinion. If you haven't already, go and test drive the TLX and i'm sorry if you did. I'm not as active in this section since the conversations tend to go south.

I'm assuming you're directing this to my comment? If you are, please don't take this the wrong way, they are strictly my opinion on the matter. We don't all have to agree and that's fine. I DID NOT come off in any snob way, so sorry if you felt that way but maybe let down the aggressiveness towards anyone that may not fully agree with the new TLX.. For the record, I own an M40i not a M340i and also own a pristine condition 04 supercharged 6MT TL. Congratulations on your TLX, there's no need to prove to anyone that you're happy with the vehicle. After all, the only person it should matter to is YOU.
I think you should reread your post. There was definitely contained more than a whiff of snobbery By the way how much did that M40i cost you after all was said and done?
Old 10-30-2020, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking WardsAuto

https://www.wardsauto.com/test-drive...ans-sexy-again

2021 Acura TLX: Making Sedans Sexy Again

Luxury sport sedans should be with us for years to come, and the Acura TLX furthers the case for such cars with good looks, a fetching interior and a capable 2.0L turbo-4. In the spring, a high-output turbocharged V-6 raises the ante in the Type S variant.Tom Murphy | Oct 30, 2020

While no one was looking, Acura has gone from also-ran status among big-name luxury brands not long ago to a formidable contender in three extremely challenging segments.

Through the first three quarters of this year, the Acura MDX – at the end of its lifecycle – was the top seller among Large Luxury CUVs as tracked by Wards Intelligence, outpacing the Audi Q7, BMW X7, Infiniti Q60, Mercedes-Benz GLS and Volvo XC90.

Up against Large Luxury SUVs such as Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade and Range Rover, the MDX had an even wider lead.

In the hyper-competitive Midsize Luxury CUV segment, including nearly 30 vehicles, the Acura RDX is fighting for the No.2 slot, behind only the Lexus RX, shockingly outselling every BMW and Mercedes-Benz in the sector.

Among Lower Luxury Cars (a segment with more than 20 upscale sedans), the current-generation Acura TLX is holding its own, trailing only the BMW 3-Series, Lexus ES, Mercedes C-Class and Tesla Model S. At the end of its lifecycle, the outgoing TLX is outrunning the Alfa Romeo Giulia, Audi A4, Cadillac CT5, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS, Nissan Maxima and Volvo S60 – not bad at all.

And there’s no reason to curb the enthusiasm: An all-new MDX is on the way and, more immediately, the fully re-engineered TLX sedan now is rolling into U.S. showrooms from parent company Honda’s assembly plant in Marysville, OH.

The TLX arrives with sleek exterior styling, an alluring and comfortable interior, a groundbreaking driver interface and solid ride, handling and performance – all with an attractive starting price of $37,500, pegging almost precisely the average transaction price of a new car in America today.

The new TLX is longer, wider and lower than the previous generation and yet smaller than the now-departed fullsize RLX sedan, making the new flagship car a perfect “tweener” to rival both the BMW 3-Series and 5-Series, for instance.
Tom Murphy'21 Acura TLX A-Spec as tested, priced at $47,275 plus destination charges.

The ’21 TLX springs from an all-new Acura-exclusive body and chassis architecture that marks the return of the double-wishbone front suspension, integrated within a front rigid aluminum subframe. At the rear is a 5-link setup, with a rear steel subframe.

On the powertrain front, we’ve always admired Honda’s ready-to-run 290-hp 3.5L SOHC V-6, but that engine leaves the TLX lineup, replaced by a 2.0L turbocharged 4-cyl. that has fewer ponies but more torque (280 lb.-ft. [380 Nm] beginning at 1,600 rpm) and better fuel economy.

Gone is the naturally aspirated 2.4L 4-cyl., and product planners consider the new turbo-4 to be a significant upgrade for the base TLX engine.

The 2.0L turbo is wholly capable and probably will satisfy most shoppers. But the entry grade’s curb weight of 3,702 lbs. (1,679 kg) for front-wheel-drive models – along with expanded dimensions – make the TLX heavier than similarly equipped rivals from BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Cadillac and Infiniti.

With Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive, the new TLX is 155 lbs. (70 kg) heavier than last year’s model equipped with the larger V-6. That extra mass is noticeable when pressing the 2.0L turbo into service as it sounds strained when getting up to speed. Throttle response is not immediate.
Tom MurphyAuthentic wood trim in '21 Acura TLX Advance.

But engineers removed mass when possible by integrating aluminum front damper mounts and aluminum front fenders and also by moving the 12V battery rearward to the trunk, resulting in a weight balance that is 57% front-biased. The ’20 TLX was 60% front-biased.

SH-AWD is now in its fourth generation and has been upgraded with torque vectoring to help with lateral stability, as well as 40% more rear torque capacity.

If intenders want more powertrain oomph from the new TLX, it’s just around the corner: In the spring, a TLX Type S performance variant arrives with an all-new Acura-exclusive 3.0L turbocharged V-6 promising at least 355 hp, with standard SH-AWD.

A 10-speed automatic transmission is hitched to both the 2.0L turbo and upcoming 3.0L turbo V-6, replacing the 8-speed and 9-speed transmissions employed previously.

Acura’s Jonathon Rivers says it’s reasonable to bank on the Type S accounting for 20% of TLX sales, and it likely will carry a base price in the low-$50,000 range.

Tom MurphyAcura TLX Advance as tested, priced at $49,325.

But shoppers curious about the TLX shouldn’t wait for next year’s Type S to visit their neighborhood dealer for a test drive.

Besides its fetching good looks outside, the interior is well-crafted with form-fitting seats, Milano leather, authentic wood and aluminum trim, an outstanding ELS Studio premium audio system and an available bold red-on-black color scheme in the sporty A-Spec tester we experience.

Fit-and-finish is impeccable, as we’ve come to expect from Acuras, and the infotainment system is 1st-rate, integrating updates to the highly intuitive True TouchPad Interface, which helped the Acura RDX win a Wards 10 Best UX trophy two years ago.

One complaint about the interior: Despite its larger footprint overall, the 2nd row of the TLX does not feel all that spacious. For instance, there isn’t much headroom (pictured, left) in any of the 3 rear seating positions for this modestly sized male.

Pricing is competitive. A top-of-the-range TLX with the Advance package and SH-AWD stickers at $49,325, including the $1,025 destination charge. The A-Spec tester with the hot red interior is even less – $47,275.

Sure, people like CUVs and SUVs, pushing the U.S. market to a 70% truck mix. In launching the all-new TLX, Acura’s Jon Ikeda sees money on the table: “Thirty percent is still thirty percent,” he says.

Indeed, the competition has not been standing still with sedans: An all-new Lexus IS is launching now, and the Cadillac CT5 and Mercedes C-Class were redesigned last year. The current BMW 3-Series has been in the market for 2 years.

Thanks to their style, lighter weight, aerodynamics and handling, the luxury sport sedan has a lot to offer and should be with us for years to come. The Acura TLX does plenty to further their cause.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
ostrich (10-30-2020), Tony Pac (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Maybe its me. The Z4 has M40i on the trunk. That automatically make me a member of the arrogant BMW owners group. Thing is my CHEVY SUV was at least $10K more expensive. Nothing snobby about a CHEVY is there. Nothing snobby about a 21 year old FORD truck. Most things are seen through the eye of the beholder, many times just a reflection of the beholder in the mirror, & since you can't please everyone you might as well please yourself.

Think some of these guys should drop in on the car talk section to get a more rounded appreciation of many different cars owned by the AcuraZine members who post there, most ll of whom over the years started posting in the TL section. Amazing how much more civil things can be there.
04WDPSeDaN (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:38 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I think you should reread your post. There was definitely contained more than a whiff of snobbery By the way how much did that M40i cost you after all was said and done?
I fully disagree with you and again sorry you feel that way, but I shouldn't feel the need to apologize for stating my personal opinion.. Don't take this the wrong way, it seems your agenda is to go against anyone that indifferent to the TLX or it doesn't fit your narrative. Maybe i'm wrong, but as i've looked back at all your comments, you are quick to defend your purchase and go against the grain here. I don't know why you feel the need to defend your purchase.. Enjoy it and be happy with it. I didn't come in here to "Brag" or be a "Snob" about my purchase. Did I mention I still own an Acura? Because you asked, I paid (in full) 48K out the door for my fully optioned 2019 M40i. Was it new? No, it was used and has CPO. I'm not the type of person that cares to purchase a new vehicle considering the loss you take the moment those wheels are off the dealer lot. Except for my business, all my vehicles have been purchased slightly used with an average of 5,000-10,000 miles on the odometer. Regardless, what I buy / do with my money is strictly my choice, not yours. Lighten up a bit. It's a car forum on the internet.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 10-30-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:46 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Maybe its me. The Z4 has M40i on the trunk. That automatically make me a member of the arrogant BMW owners group. Thing is my CHEVY SUV was at least $10K more expensive. Nothing snobby about a CHEVY is there. Nothing snobby about a 21 year old FORD truck. Most things are seen through the eye of the beholder, many times just a reflection of the beholder in the mirror, & since you can't please everyone you might as well please yourself.

Think some of these guys should drop in on the car talk section to get a more rounded appreciation of many different cars owned by the AcuraZine members who post there, most ll of whom over the years started posting in the TL section. Amazing how much more civil things can be there.
It was directed to me. Still baffled.. Acurazine is no longer the site it once was. I guess being here since Jan 2007 and being a contributing member here means nothing anymore. I can add "Snob", "Poser" , "tool" to my list of insults from such wonderful members on this forum. Oh well I guess.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:49 AM
Pro

I fully disagree with you and again sorry you feel that way, but I shouldn't feel the need to apologize for stating my personal opinion.. Don't take this the wrong way, it seems you're agenda is to go against anyone that indifferent to the TLX or it doesn't fit your narrative. Maybe i'm wrong, but as i've looked back at all your comments, you are quick to defend your purchase and go against the grain here. I don't know why you feel the need to defend your purchase.. Enjoy it and be happy with it. I didn't come in here to "Brag" or be a "Snob" about my purchase. Did I mention I still own an Acura? Because you asked, I paid (in full) 48K out the door for my fully optioned 2019 M40i. Was it new? No, it was used and has CPO. I'm not the type of person that cares to purchase a new vehicle considering the loss you take the moment those wheels are off the dealer lot. Except for my business, all my vehicles have been purchased slightly used with an average of 5,000-10,000 miles on the odometer. Regardless, that's my choice and what I buy / do with my money is strictly my choice, not yours. Lighten up a bit. It's a car forum on the internet.
This is what you posted. If I owned the car or not I’d still be scratching my head as to why you felt it was necessary to undertake a passive/aggressive attack on a poster for sharing his perceptions. By the way, I don’t think anyone is trying to pretend the TLX is a high performance vehicle.

I drove the new TLX (Advance, SH-AWD) and personally didn't think it had "Massive" low end torque. It had what I would consider, at best a decent acceleration when everything aligned. Compared to my vehicles, the TQ on the TLX was a joke, no offense. When you experience other vehicles, you get a sense of what performance is and the TLX isn't what I would consider a high performance vehicle TO MY STANDARDS. Perhaps to others, it's great. In perspective, it's like saying my tuned M40i has MASSIVE low end TQ compared to the 2020 NSX I drove

Last edited by Honda430; 10-30-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:16 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

This is what you posted. If I owned the car or not I’d still be scratching my head as to why you felt it was necessary to undertake a passive/aggressive attack on a poster for sharing his perceptions. By the way, I don’t think anyone is trying to pretend the TLX is a high performance vehicle.
It's absurd that I need to explain myself any further and trying to figure a way of doing so without coming across in a certain matter..

I'm stating my PERSONAL opinion. Congratulations again on your TLX.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

5-7 years absolutely. 12-15, maybe not, but I don’t plan on keeping any car for that long any more.
04WDPSeDaN (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:24 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

5-7 years absolutely. 12-15, maybe not, but I don’t plan on keeping any car for that long any more.
I plan on keeping them for as long as possible. I've kept my TL for 14 years now.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:44 AM
Pro

It's absurd that I need to explain myself any further and trying to figure a way of doing so without coming across in a certain matter..

I'm stating my PERSONAL opinion. Congratulations again on your TLX.
It all comes down to the adjectives one chooses to use. They are a pretty clear window into a person’s mindset.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:34 PM
Racer

I read and re-read the post of your review. You qualified that the comments were your opinion, and in my opinion, lacked any snobbery. What you said about the 2G is consistent with other reviews.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Still waiting for a head to head comparison test of the new TLX vs all its main rivals. Anyone else also curious how it stacks up in the eyes of all these YouTube auto reviewers?
Old 10-31-2020, 12:55 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I have experience with a S2k, NC1 NSX, 3g RDX, and CTR. The 3G RDX imo has pretty decent low end torque. Off the line in sport+ mode is especially satisfying. It won't smoke the NSX, but I'd be quite confident that my RDX would smoke my CTR and S2k from 0-30mph, and probably even to 40mph. The CTR once it hits boost and gets going will be faster but then it does make like 350lbft of torque.

The TLX reviews so far have been quite positive. It's no longer a Honda+ car. Pretty much all reviews praise the underpinnings of the car, its fun to drive factor, its looks, much improved interior, and value.

The TLX reviews certainly look a whole lot more promising than its Japanese peers, namely the Q50 and the new IS.

Based on the reviews and comparos of other cars in the segment, I'd imagine the TLX will do pretty well if there's a big comparo test.

I'd imagine the ranking will be like this:

1. BMW 3 series
2/3/4/5. Alfa Romeo Giulia, Audi A4, Genesis G70, Acura TLX
5/6 Mercedes C Class, Volvo S60
7. Lexus IS
8. Cadillac CT5
9. Infiniti Q50
10. Lincoln MKZ

The 3 series is the most complete car and it's hard to see it finishing anything but 1st place.

2nd to 5th place IMO will be a close race - it depends on what a reviewer values more. While people here are complaining about the TLX, the fact is that all of the other competitors have their flaws too. Giulia being too one dimensional as it's all about performance. G70 lacks the polish and final details, which are very important. The TLX is on the heavy side and tire choice is questionable. The A4 is very competent and elegant but not very exciting.

The C Class and IS are getting dated but are still solid offerings so they should be midpack.

The Q50 is old now and it wasn't that competitive when it first came out, but still better than MKZ.

The CT5 is new but the reviews aren't glowing at all. Car and Driver gave it 6.5/10, citing both acceleration (4 banger one) and dynamics are dull, with cheap plastic bits in the car. If you think the 5.9s 0-60mph for the TLX 2.0T is slow, the CT5 2.0T does it in 6.6s.

The S60 is a curious case. The T6 R Design should be interesting but the T5 model that was in a recent C/D comparo was in dead last. Its main issue is that it's not very fun to drive - a deadly sin for a car in this segment in a car mag comparo.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I've now read or watched about 15 reviews and the large majority are quite positive about the new TLX. The real question is how that will translate into sales in the coming months. Even with large discounts BMW sold 1383 3 series vehicles in September in the US and 378 in Canada, an indication of tough times ahead. Acura will have to drop the interest rate, but even then I doubt sales will be substantial because of the economic impacts of dramatic COVID case increases, not to mention the potential instability following a cerrrtain November event. Spring will hopefully bring some new life to car sales, not to mention the Type S, and perhaps then we will start to see whether Acura has a relativelely successful 2G TLX in their lineup.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-31-2020), dio (11-02-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**