AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   6G TLX (2021+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-2021-466/)
-   -   2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)** (https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-2021-466/2021-acura-tlx-reviews-%2A%2A2024-tlx-reviews-starting-page-70-%2A%2A-989160/)

Tony Pac 08-06-2020 11:15 AM

2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

I think it's time to create a new thread for reviews. Within the next 2-3 weeks, we will start seeing reviews from journalists.

First partial review:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...3d-audio-tech/

fiatlux 08-06-2020 11:58 AM

I do like the metal grille they used for the speaker covers. Reminds me of the Volvo B&W and Mercedes Burmester.

StealthTL-S 08-06-2020 12:24 PM

Cool, I look forward to this thread. Looking forward to test driving the 2.0 L 2021 TLX , see how the 2.0 drives and handles, particulary with AWD.

ESHBG 08-06-2020 12:36 PM

Why are the outside mirrors black? Why does the leather look so cheap? Why does it look like a Mazda (which is not an insult btw, I like their cars)?! I really wanted to like this car but overall I am having some struggles...

fiatlux 08-06-2020 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16611013)
Why are the outside mirrors black?
Didn't you get the memo? Apparently glossy black trim is sportier than chrome or body colored.

Why does the leather look so cheap?
Gotta save money somewhere. You ain't going to find fancy pants Nappa leather on an Acura.

Why does it look like a Mazda (which is not an insult btw, I like their cars)?!
I'm not seeing it...

I really wanted to like this car but overall I am having some struggles...

I rather like the design, save for one thing. I understand that the reason the rear door handles are so much higher than the front is to match the crease that slants up through the doors...but god almighty it looks like ass. It'd look much better if that crease started off higher from the front fender and ran straight across rather than this weird sloping look they wanted to give it.

mcrompton 08-06-2020 12:56 PM

The Advance looks nice but the difference between that model and the A-SPEC and especially the Type-S is striking.

ESHBG 08-06-2020 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16611018)
I rather like the design, save for one thing. I understand that the reason the rear door handles are so much higher than the front is to match the crease that slants up through the doors...but god almighty it looks like ass. It'd look much better if that crease started off higher from the front fender and ran straight across rather than this weird sloping look they wanted to give it.

This isn't the sporty trim, though.

Sure but the leather should not be loose ALREADY.

For me it's particularly from the side.

Tesla1856 08-06-2020 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16610876)

Thanks for he post. Good review of ELS audio-system. The 13-speaker system should be similarly nice. IIRC, back-in-the-day ... Honda used Alpine. Panasonic makes sense because it is also a Japanese company. Makes me wonder if they are also the vendor used for the custom-head-unit/NAV ?

While there might still be more short articles generated from this encounter with the car (that they were apparently not allowed to drive) ... seems like a bit of a missed opportunity since it was an Advance model. It would be nice to see HUD, surround-view camera, etc. And since Tech-Package is included in Advance, at least a mention of the NAV, on-board (non-CarPlay) media capabilities, voice recognition ... stuff like that.

fiatlux 08-06-2020 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16611045)
This isn't the sporty trim, though.

Sure but the leather should not be loose ALREADY.

For me it's particularly from the side.

Yeah, but didn't you hear? Acura is the performance brand of Honda now. So obviously it needs to have performance bits, like gloss black mirrors and huge dual exhaust tips even for a 2L engine.

diddy_nyc 08-06-2020 01:30 PM

I will reserve judgement until I see the Type-S model in person. I'm currently leasing my second Lexus which ends in 7 months and i cannot wait to get back in an Acura...either this new TLX or an RDX A-spec.

Tesla1856 08-06-2020 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16611050)
and huge dual exhaust tips even for a 2L engine.

2.0T engine is 272hp , so yeah ... I think it is worthy of dual-exhaust. The ones on the 3.0T Type-S are a bit different.

In general, I prefer them being shown instead of hidden. At least (AFAIK) Acura has never installed fake-ones like some others.

fiatlux 08-06-2020 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tesla1856 (Post 16611059)
2.0T engine is 272hp , so yeah ... I think it is worthy of dual-exhaust. The ones on the 3.0T Type-S are a bit different.

In general, I prefer them being shown instead of hidden. At least (AFAIK) Acura has never installed fake-ones like some others.

They're not totally fake like on some Audis, but the 1G A-Spec ones are just a bumper fascia and not actually connected to the muffler itself. You can see the real tips through them:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...2879cd85b3.jpg

Legend2TL 08-06-2020 01:58 PM

Overall I like it but a few complaints because it's the Internet :biggrin:
1) front windshield defroster should be with the rest of the climate control in the center and not on the left switch panel
2) parking brake should be in the center stackup as well
3) Prefer the instrument panel to be all digital, not physical needles for tach/speed
4) Prefer a touch screen vs. a screen and touchpad
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8e9751bf87.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...67b5dad7d2.jpg

ESHBG 08-06-2020 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16611050)
Yeah, but didn't you hear? Acura is the performance brand of Honda now. So obviously it needs to have performance bits, like gloss black mirrors and huge dual exhaust tips even for a 2L engine.

Nah Honda is the performance brand of Honda. SI, Type-R, Accord Sport...

I'm going to say that Acura may still be confused between wanting to be a sporty or luxury brand but with their trim levels still seems to be confused about where exactly they want to fall.

Speed_Racer 08-06-2020 08:37 PM

When that review says the ELS is best heard with uncompressed music, how do you get that? I just listen to everything through CarPlay on my phone currently.

ESHBG 08-06-2020 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16611308)
When that review says the ELS is best heard with uncompressed music, how do you get that? I just listen to everything through CarPlay on my phone currently.

So not formats like MP3 then but other formats may be larger, take up more room on the device and in turn less songs.

fiatlux 08-06-2020 10:19 PM

flac, rather than mp3s.

Tesla1856 08-06-2020 10:25 PM

CD-Audio disc would be un-compressed.
.WAV files are generally considered to be un-compressed.

I would imagine (properly/cleanly ripped) 320K MP3's to also sound pretty good (even though compressed).
Whatever my old 2014-MDX used-to auto-Rip CD's to always sounded real good on that system (good fidelity compared to the original CD).

Speed_Racer 08-06-2020 11:14 PM

Since there's no CD player anymore looks like it will be a USB stick to get the most out of it. I wonder if it has built in storage in the ELS system to copy the songs to.

fiatlux 08-06-2020 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer (Post 16611372)
Since there's no CD player anymore looks like it will be a USB stick to get the most out of it. I wonder if it has built in storage in the ELS system to copy the songs to.

It's very likely to be the same exact system in the RDX, and if so, then the answer is no.

CollinR4 08-07-2020 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16611363)
flac, rather than mp3s.

This has been my COVID project, getting my music library transitioned from MP3 to FLAC. Agree with fiatlux, just would add that you will not be able to get uncompressed music through a sound system wirelessly. Think AUX cord, USB thumb drive or USB cord to your phone for the size of uncompressed files to properly transmit to the car audio system.

Also noted from the CNET review, no USB-C port in the center armrest, a bit of a disappointment.

Jiten Patel 08-07-2020 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL (Post 16611071)
1) front windshield defroster should be with the rest of the climate control in the center and not on the left switch panel
3) Prefer the instrument panel to be all digital, not physical needles for tach/speed

1. That button you see there is the Front Windshield Deicer, it is electronic and not related to the HVAC Front Windshield Defroster which is still in the center, it actually turns on by itself if the temperature is under -10 Celsius and then turns off so you don't have to even press it that often.
2. Parking brake is engaged automatically so it is not exactly necessary to have in the center since it does not need to be used at all, unless you choose to have that setting off.
3. Yeah I wish it was digital.
4. I actually like the touch pad idea because it is essentially a touch screen but you touch without even moving your arm since its "true touch". The touch mechanics are just moved closer to you, in that sense, its technically a touch screen.

Kense 08-07-2020 01:07 PM

This is a base car so I don't have much to say but the fact the Type S won't have digital gauges is very disappointing.

cruiserchuck 08-07-2020 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16611013)
Why are the outside mirrors black? Why does the leather look so cheap? Why does it look like a Mazda (which is not an insult btw, I like their cars)?! I really wanted to like this car but overall I am having some struggles...

At least Acura is offering leather as standard on most trims. It is hard to even get leather on many new BMW and Lexus models. With respect to the leather look, generally higher quality leather is softer and gets more wrinkles and stretches out. The cheap leather in my last Acura (TSX) was pretty hard, and did not show much wear during the 13 plus years I owned it.

Tony Pac 08-07-2020 05:52 PM

Reviews to wait for:
Alex on Auto
Sofyan
Motormouth
Savagegeese
Doug Demuro but i am not sure if he will review it right away.

do you have any preferred reviewer?

Kense 08-07-2020 06:40 PM

The "Straightpipes" are one of my favorite review duo's.

MIKEYDRED 08-07-2020 06:41 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8e9751bf87.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...67b5dad7d2.jpg

1. that is the heated windshield button not defogger.
2. that is parking sensor off button not brake
3. agree but atleast the center display is large and is customizable. Type S will get red gauges which will look cool at night
4. they're last attempt at touch screen sucked and sounds like the true touchpad is still a work in progress. they need to copy Mazda approach for info system easy to use but looks premium.

leomio85 08-07-2020 08:31 PM

Jesus Christ. You guys truly are beyond dumb. The buttons, from L to R are:

1. Force field
2. EMP disruptor (for when the government tries to spy on you)
3. Penis enlarger rayons
4. "You will lose control, crash and die instantly if you touch this" button
5. Empty ... just like your soul
6. Time travel

Seems like Acura stepped it up with the tech on the 2G TLX ...

SebringSilver 08-07-2020 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kense (Post 16611815)

Throttle House is another good one.

SebringSilver 08-07-2020 09:22 PM

All new TLX, but same old Acura....

is no one disappointed with this?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...10873421c.jpeg

...when it should be more like this?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8ab015175.jpeg

fiatlux 08-07-2020 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kense (Post 16611815)

They're nice and all, but they rarely say anything bad about a car. Everything is (in Jacob's words) "soo good, like, soo good". Methinks its because they are afraid of losing access to press cars.

I prefer Savage Geese because Mark isn't afraid to tell it like it is, and will be as critical as necessary to make a point.

fiatlux 08-07-2020 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by SebringSilver (Post 16611873)
All new TLX, but same old Acura....

is no one disappointed with this?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...10873421c.jpeg

...when it should be more like this?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8ab015175.jpeg

Well, on the bright side the opening is MUCH larger than in the 1G, which is an absolute joke. I'm bummed that there's so much bare metal unlike the current one; that seems like a step back and just makes the car look cheap. Also bummed that it doesn't have a ski pass-through. I mean, if you can't give us a 40/20/40 split like practically every other car in this segment, at least give us the pass-through. Another annoyance is that the middle seat belt continues to be come out of the rear deck rather than the seat itself. In the 1G, it means you can't actually push something all the way to the back of the front seats because that seatbelt doesn't stretch far forward enough and just gets in the way. Honda is supposed to all about practicality and thoughtful utility...

One plus is that the 40 is on the passenger side. Might seem like a minor thing, but if you have a car seat, you're most likely going to put it on the passenger side rather than driver side so that you don't have to stand in traffic loading/unloading a baby when street parking. That means you can still fold down the 60 side, which is huge if you need to fit a big stroller and baby gear that won't fit with all the seats up. It's actually one of my big gripes about my Volvo.

fiatlux 08-07-2020 11:02 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a25b8117e6.png

No USB ports or a 12V? That's a bummer. I'm also a little perplexed why they didn't pretty this up a bit. The rear seats look very good. The rear door panels look really good. This view...not gonna lie, looks rental car cheap. I know, I know, they need to cut costs somewhere, but it's these small details that are just maddening to me.

Rocket_man 08-08-2020 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16611905)
Well, on the bright side the opening is MUCH larger than in the 1G, which is an absolute joke. I'm bummed that there's so much bare metal unlike the current one; that seems like a step back and just makes the car look cheap. Also bummed that it doesn't have a ski pass-through. I mean, if you can't give us a 40/20/40 split like practically every other car in this segment, at least give us the pass-through. Another annoyance is that the middle seat belt continues to be come out of the rear deck rather than the seat itself. In the 1G, it means you can't actually push something all the way to the back of the front seats because that seatbelt doesn't stretch far forward enough and just gets in the way. Honda is supposed to all about practicality and thoughtful utility...

One plus is that the 40 is on the passenger side. Might seem like a minor thing, but if you have a car seat, you're most likely going to put it on the passenger side rather than driver side so that you don't have to stand in traffic loading/unloading a baby when street parking. That means you can still fold down the 60 side, which is huge if you need to fit a big stroller and baby gear that won't fit with all the seats up. It's actually one of my big gripes about my Volvo.

It is a pre-production car. Things may be different on the production model.

AcuraFan1980 08-08-2020 09:34 AM

I would like for them to simply just allow the trunk to open all the way when you try and open it. Even the TLX tech didn’t have that. Not sure if any TLX do. Something very simple that can make the car feel more premium

Tesla1856 08-08-2020 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16611912)

No ...12V?

An even more elaborate (non Entertainment package) rear-console, but not on 2014-MDX either. We told many about the over-sight. They finally added it to MDX years later.

Speed_Racer 08-08-2020 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man (Post 16611929)
It is a pre-production car. Things may be different on the production model.

It's like the 11th hour. I don't think that's changing anytime soon.

SebringSilver 08-08-2020 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16611905)

The weird thing is you don’t see nonsense like that on the RDX, which for 2019 was also supposedly designed from a clean slate. When you fold down the rear seats on the RDX, you don’t have seatbelts that get in the way. You don’t have to worry about your cargo being wider than some tiny aperture that’s only a fraction of the actual interior width of the car.

And yet it’s the TLX that’s supposed to be Acura’s new flagship model. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. Hopefully the Type S will hit a driving dynamics home run, but when Acura overlooks details like the interior ergonomics and finishing, it greatly diminishes the ownership experience.

fiatlux 08-08-2020 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SebringSilver (Post 16612053)
The weird thing is you don’t see nonsense like that on the RDX, which for 2019 was also supposedly designed from a clean slate. When you fold down the rear seats on the RDX, you don’t have seatbelts that get in the way. You don’t have to worry about your cargo being wider than some tiny aperture that’s only a fraction of the actual interior width of the car.

And yet it’s the TLX that’s supposed to be Acura’s new flagship model. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. Hopefully the Type S will hit a driving dynamics home run, but when Acura overlooks details like the interior ergonomics and finishing, it greatly diminishes the ownership experience.

Maybe it's another attempt to differentiate themselves from Honda. One of the things that makes Honda so great is that they package the interior so well, and everything is thoughtful, practical, and useful. I guess Acura figures if they package it poorly, nobody will complain about it just being a gussied up Honda anymore ;). The rear seats still look tiny for its size. This car has a wheelbase that's 3" longer than the Accord, and yet the Accord manages to have an absolutely massive backseat. I guess they figure families will buy the RDX, so it doesn't matter what the rear seats are like in this car. Sucks for anyone who has a family but doesn't want a crossover.

SebringSilver 08-08-2020 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16612060)
Maybe it's another attempt to differentiate themselves from Honda. One of the things that makes Honda so great is that they package the interior so well, and everything is thoughtful, practical, and useful. I guess Acura figures if they package it poorly, nobody will complain about it just being a gussied up Honda anymore ;). The rear seats still look tiny for its size. This car has a wheelbase that's 3" longer than the Accord, and yet the Accord manages to have an absolutely massive backseat.

I look forward to the Blaupunkt tape deck in the 3G TLX then.