2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

I think it's time to create a new thread for reviews. Within the next 2-3 weeks, we will start seeing reviews from journalists.

First partial review:
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...3d-audio-tech/

Last edited by Tony Pac; 08-06-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 7 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
a35tl (08-06-2020), Jiten Patel (08-07-2020), Legend2TL (08-06-2020), mapleloaf (08-07-2020), Nedmundo (08-10-2020), richii0207 (09-26-2022), rlx015 (09-24-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

09-26-2020, 11:39 PM
fiatlux
Safety Car

Received 3,417 Likes on 1,869 Posts
I went to one of the local dealerships today (OK local is a bit of a stretch but it was the only one within 50 miles to have a TLX on the lot) to test drive the new car. White SH-AWD Advanced. My impressions:
  • Not a fan of the Platinum White Pearl. I think Modern Steel Metallic or Apex Blue would look much better, but unfortunately the only ones they had on the lot were white.
  • The car looks noticeably bigger. I keep seeing the word "presence" being thrown around...I suppose that's one way to look at it. From the rear it doesn't actually look that big or wide, but from the front it definitely looks like it's a class bigger than the competition.
  • Interior of the Advanced package is really nice. They also had an A-Spec model with the red interior. Even in person I'm still not a fan of that red. But back to the Advanced interior, the materials all felt high quality and there was plenty of soft-touch stuff going on. The "leather" stitched dash actually feels higher quality than the real leather stitched dash in my Volvo. This isn't like a Hyundai interior that looks nice, but feels cheap. I know it's subjective, but other than the gauge cluster and infotainment system, I like this interior more than A4, 3-series, C-Class, and S60. It just feels more inviting.
  • The MID in the middle is larger than I had thought, but I still wish they would have went with a fully digital dash.
  • Infotainment feels a little snappier than in the RDX loaners I've had, but I'm still not a fan of the truetouch trackpad. I would take any of the competitors infotainment system (except for Lexus) over this one.
  • With the front seat adjusted for my height, rear legroom is virtually identical to that of the 1G. I can confirm that you can indeed move the front seat farther back than in the 1G. Rear legroom is terrible for its size, but it's about average when compared against the competition, just like for the 1G.
Ok now for the driving. Let me preface this by saying that I couldn't drive it like a loon during the test drive, but there were a few sweepers and corners I was able to take fairly aggressively.
  • Steering feel is great, turn-in is sharp and immediate, they did a good job with the steering responsiveness.
  • On simple turns, the SH-AWD does a great job of providing power-on traction. Tires would squeal like a pig even though I wasn't driving that aggressively, but the frontend never felt like it was going to wash out. SH-AWD good, tires bad bad bad.
  • On complex turns like an S or chicane, you really feel the weight of the car as it shifts around. The car doesn't feel unsettled, but you definitely feel more pronounced body roll. SH-AWD might be able to work its magic pulling you through a corner, but it can't beat physics when it comes to weight transfer.
  • In comfort mode, the suspension is supple and compliant. Not as soft as an ES350, but definitely softer than stock 1G ride. In sport mode, the suspension is firmed up noticeably, but I wish it were a bit firmer to help remove some of that body roll. Sport feels about as firm as the normal setting in my Volvo.
  • The pumped in engine noises...I'm conflicted. It doesn't sound bad...but it definitely sounds artificial.
  • The braking feel is really really good. Pedal travel is very short, almost like in an EV where the regen braking kicks in immediately when you press down on the brakes. Some might complain about it being touchy, but once you get used to it, going back to a regular braking setup is quite jarring how deep into the pedal travel you have to go before the brakes actually engage. I'm a big fan of this setup.
  • ELS system is good I guess. I'm not an audiophile so all this stuff is wasted on me. I can tell it's not bad, but I can't tell you how good it is.
  • Road and wind noise is about the same as the 1G TLX, which is quite good.
  • Over bumps and imperfections in the road, the car feels very solid, very European. Very 1G TLX like.
Now for the part I know you're all waiting for...
  • When you cruising along at slower speeds and mash the gas pedal, there indeed is quite a noticeable delay before the car actually accelerates forward, and for the first split second it really feels like either power is being pulled or something is slipping .
  • If you use the paddle shifters to get yourself into the right gear, there's no delay, although it doesn't feel like you have the full allotment of power immediately
  • If you're cruising at highway speeds when you mash the gas pedal, the transmission responds much quicker and the acceleration feels stronger.
  • In all other situations, the 10AT feels way better than the ZF9.
  • As I expected, the car pulls hard when everything is lined up (i.e. you're in the right gear, you're under 5000RPMs, etc.)
  • Turbo lag is minimal, mid-range torque is great, but the small turbo runs out of steam starting around 5000RPMs just like in the RDX.
  • Upshifts are fast, but the transmission doesn't respond to the paddles as quickly as I'd like, and downshifts are a little slow.
Basically if you've driven the RDX, it feels pretty much the same. I have a hard time believing the engineers spent much time making changes to the powertrain before dropping it into this car.

So what does this all mean? Well, for me the acceleration responsiveness thing isn't necessarily a deal-breaker because it seems to be a problem in just that one scenario (low speed cruising). Also, subpar 0-60 times I'm not too concerned about because the mid-range where you'll spend most of the time in the real world is strong. As a DD, I like this more than the J35, though at the track I'd prefer the J35. That said, the powertrain does feel average to slightly below average when compared to the competition. Yes, it makes the most advertised horsepower, but you wouldn't be able to tell by driving it. It just doesn't have that same sense of urgency or immediate power or oomph that the A4 and C300 has (haven't driven the new 330i yet). I still very much prefer the EA888 in the Audi. On the other hand, there's a lot to like about the rest of the car. As a car, it's pretty great. Even the backseat is OK; if you were OK with the 1G TLX, then you'll be OK with this. But would I buy it? If the powertrain performed as well as it does in the Accord 2.0T, yes. But unfortunately, the powertrain is just not up to par. It's a bummer, because I really do like the rest of the car save for the weight. It does so many things so well, and maybe my standards for performance are just unrealistically high, but if they could just replace this powertrain with the Audi's, it would be a no-brainer. As it currently stands...it's a good to great car, but as a sports sedan it's a mixed bag.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

I do like the metal grille they used for the speaker covers. Reminds me of the Volvo B&W and Mercedes Burmester.
The following users liked this post:
Barbecue Tech Tips (09-07-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:24 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Cool, I look forward to this thread. Looking forward to test driving the 2.0 L 2021 TLX , see how the 2.0 drives and handles, particulary with AWD.
Tesla1856 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Why are the outside mirrors black? Why does the leather look so cheap? Why does it look like a Mazda (which is not an insult btw, I like their cars)?! I really wanted to like this car but overall I am having some struggles...
Old 08-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Why are the outside mirrors black?
Didn't you get the memo? Apparently glossy black trim is sportier than chrome or body colored.

Why does the leather look so cheap?
Gotta save money somewhere. You ain't going to find fancy pants Nappa leather on an Acura.

Why does it look like a Mazda (which is not an insult btw, I like their cars)?!
I'm not seeing it...

I really wanted to like this car but overall I am having some struggles...
I rather like the design, save for one thing. I understand that the reason the rear door handles are so much higher than the front is to match the crease that slants up through the doors...but god almighty it looks like ass. It'd look much better if that crease started off higher from the front fender and ran straight across rather than this weird sloping look they wanted to give it.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-06-2020 at 12:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
DreamTSX (09-11-2020), honda_nut (08-09-2020), Speed_Racer (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
The Advance looks nice but the difference between that model and the A-SPEC and especially the Type-S is striking.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I rather like the design, save for one thing. I understand that the reason the rear door handles are so much higher than the front is to match the crease that slants up through the doors...but god almighty it looks like ass. It'd look much better if that crease started off higher from the front fender and ran straight across rather than this weird sloping look they wanted to give it.
This isn't the sporty trim, though.

Sure but the leather should not be loose ALREADY.

For me it's particularly from the side.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Thanks for he post. Good review of ELS audio-system. The 13-speaker system should be similarly nice. IIRC, back-in-the-day ... Honda used Alpine. Panasonic makes sense because it is also a Japanese company. Makes me wonder if they are also the vendor used for the custom-head-unit/NAV ?

While there might still be more short articles generated from this encounter with the car (that they were apparently not allowed to drive) ... seems like a bit of a missed opportunity since it was an Advance model. It would be nice to see HUD, surround-view camera, etc. And since Tech-Package is included in Advance, at least a mention of the NAV, on-board (non-CarPlay) media capabilities, voice recognition ... stuff like that.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

This isn't the sporty trim, though.

Sure but the leather should not be loose ALREADY.

For me it's particularly from the side.
Yeah, but didn't you hear? Acura is the performance brand of Honda now. So obviously it needs to have performance bits, like gloss black mirrors and huge dual exhaust tips even for a 2L engine.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I will reserve judgement until I see the Type-S model in person. I'm currently leasing my second Lexus which ends in 7 months and i cannot wait to get back in an Acura...either this new TLX or an RDX A-spec.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

and huge dual exhaust tips even for a 2L engine.
2.0T engine is 272hp , so yeah ... I think it is worthy of dual-exhaust. The ones on the 3.0T Type-S are a bit different.

In general, I prefer them being shown instead of hidden. At least (AFAIK) Acura has never installed fake-ones like some others.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
2.0T engine is 272hp , so yeah ... I think it is worthy of dual-exhaust. The ones on the 3.0T Type-S are a bit different.

In general, I prefer them being shown instead of hidden. At least (AFAIK) Acura has never installed fake-ones like some others.
They're not totally fake like on some Audis, but the 1G A-Spec ones are just a bumper fascia and not actually connected to the muffler itself. You can see the real tips through them:

Old 08-06-2020, 01:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,032 Likes on 2,508 Posts
Overall I like it but a few complaints because it's the Internet
1) front windshield defroster should be with the rest of the climate control in the center and not on the left switch panel
2) parking brake should be in the center stackup as well
3) Prefer the instrument panel to be all digital, not physical needles for tach/speed
4) Prefer a touch screen vs. a screen and touchpad

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-06-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, but didn't you hear? Acura is the performance brand of Honda now. So obviously it needs to have performance bits, like gloss black mirrors and huge dual exhaust tips even for a 2L engine.
Nah Honda is the performance brand of Honda. SI, Type-R, Accord Sport...

I'm going to say that Acura may still be confused between wanting to be a sporty or luxury brand but with their trim levels still seems to be confused about where exactly they want to fall.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
When that review says the ELS is best heard with uncompressed music, how do you get that? I just listen to everything through CarPlay on my phone currently.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
When that review says the ELS is best heard with uncompressed music, how do you get that? I just listen to everything through CarPlay on my phone currently.
So not formats like MP3 then but other formats may be larger, take up more room on the device and in turn less songs.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Safety Car

flac, rather than mp3s.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

CD-Audio disc would be un-compressed.
.WAV files are generally considered to be un-compressed.

I would imagine (properly/cleanly ripped) 320K MP3's to also sound pretty good (even though compressed).
Whatever my old 2014-MDX used-to auto-Rip CD's to always sounded real good on that system (good fidelity compared to the original CD).

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-06-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2020, 11:14 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Since there's no CD player anymore looks like it will be a USB stick to get the most out of it. I wonder if it has built in storage in the ELS system to copy the songs to.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

Since there's no CD player anymore looks like it will be a USB stick to get the most out of it. I wonder if it has built in storage in the ELS system to copy the songs to.
It's very likely to be the same exact system in the RDX, and if so, then the answer is no.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Barbecue Tech Tips (09-07-2020), Speed_Racer (08-06-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
flac, rather than mp3s.
This has been my COVID project, getting my music library transitioned from MP3 to FLAC. Agree with fiatlux, just would add that you will not be able to get uncompressed music through a sound system wirelessly. Think AUX cord, USB thumb drive or USB cord to your phone for the size of uncompressed files to properly transmit to the car audio system.

Also noted from the CNET review, no USB-C port in the center armrest, a bit of a disappointment.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
1) front windshield defroster should be with the rest of the climate control in the center and not on the left switch panel
3) Prefer the instrument panel to be all digital, not physical needles for tach/speed
1. That button you see there is the Front Windshield Deicer, it is electronic and not related to the HVAC Front Windshield Defroster which is still in the center, it actually turns on by itself if the temperature is under -10 Celsius and then turns off so you don't have to even press it that often.
2. Parking brake is engaged automatically so it is not exactly necessary to have in the center since it does not need to be used at all, unless you choose to have that setting off.
3. Yeah I wish it was digital.
4. I actually like the touch pad idea because it is essentially a touch screen but you touch without even moving your arm since its "true touch". The touch mechanics are just moved closer to you, in that sense, its technically a touch screen.

Last edited by Jiten Patel; 08-07-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Corrected the ordering.
lionel464 (06-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
This is a base car so I don't have much to say but the fact the Type S won't have digital gauges is very disappointing.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Why are the outside mirrors black? Why does the leather look so cheap? Why does it look like a Mazda (which is not an insult btw, I like their cars)?! I really wanted to like this car but overall I am having some struggles...
At least Acura is offering leather as standard on most trims. It is hard to even get leather on many new BMW and Lexus models. With respect to the leather look, generally higher quality leather is softer and gets more wrinkles and stretches out. The cheap leather in my last Acura (TSX) was pretty hard, and did not show much wear during the 13 plus years I owned it.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Reviews to wait for:
Alex on Auto
Sofyan
Motormouth
Savagegeese
Doug Demuro but i am not sure if he will review it right away.

do you have any preferred reviewer?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
The "Straightpipes" are one of my favorite review duo's.
djhtsx (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

1. that is the heated windshield button not defogger.
2. that is parking sensor off button not brake
3. agree but atleast the center display is large and is customizable. Type S will get red gauges which will look cool at night
4. they're last attempt at touch screen sucked and sounds like the true touchpad is still a work in progress. they need to copy Mazda approach for info system easy to use but looks premium.
lionel464 (06-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2020, 08:31 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Jesus Christ. You guys truly are beyond dumb. The buttons, from L to R are:

1. Force field
2. EMP disruptor (for when the government tries to spy on you)
3. Penis enlarger rayons
4. "You will lose control, crash and die instantly if you touch this" button
5. Empty ... just like your soul
6. Time travel

Seems like Acura stepped it up with the tech on the 2G TLX ...
The following 9 users liked this post by leomio85:
amcobra (08-08-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (08-08-2020), Curious3GTL (08-08-2020), Entrepid (08-17-2020), honda_nut (08-09-2020), lionel464 (06-06-2021), mapleloaf (08-09-2020), pyrodan007 (08-08-2020), Rocket_man (08-08-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Throttle House is another good one.
CollinR4 (09-15-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

All new TLX, but same old Acura....

is no one disappointed with this?

...when it should be more like this?

Old 08-07-2020, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kense
They're nice and all, but they rarely say anything bad about a car. Everything is (in Jacob's words) "soo good, like, soo good". Methinks its because they are afraid of losing access to press cars.

I prefer Savage Geese because Mark isn't afraid to tell it like it is, and will be as critical as necessary to make a point.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
All new TLX, but same old Acura....

is no one disappointed with this?

...when it should be more like this?

Well, on the bright side the opening is MUCH larger than in the 1G, which is an absolute joke. I'm bummed that there's so much bare metal unlike the current one; that seems like a step back and just makes the car look cheap. Also bummed that it doesn't have a ski pass-through. I mean, if you can't give us a 40/20/40 split like practically every other car in this segment, at least give us the pass-through. Another annoyance is that the middle seat belt continues to be come out of the rear deck rather than the seat itself. In the 1G, it means you can't actually push something all the way to the back of the front seats because that seatbelt doesn't stretch far forward enough and just gets in the way. Honda is supposed to all about practicality and thoughtful utility...

One plus is that the 40 is on the passenger side. Might seem like a minor thing, but if you have a car seat, you're most likely going to put it on the passenger side rather than driver side so that you don't have to stand in traffic loading/unloading a baby when street parking. That means you can still fold down the 60 side, which is huge if you need to fit a big stroller and baby gear that won't fit with all the seats up. It's actually one of my big gripes about my Volvo.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-07-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

No USB ports or a 12V? That's a bummer. I'm also a little perplexed why they didn't pretty this up a bit. The rear seats look very good. The rear door panels look really good. This view...not gonna lie, looks rental car cheap. I know, I know, they need to cut costs somewhere, but it's these small details that are just maddening to me.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:05 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Well, on the bright side the opening is MUCH larger than in the 1G, which is an absolute joke. I'm bummed that there's so much bare metal unlike the current one; that seems like a step back and just makes the car look cheap. Also bummed that it doesn't have a ski pass-through. I mean, if you can't give us a 40/20/40 split like practically every other car in this segment, at least give us the pass-through. Another annoyance is that the middle seat belt continues to be come out of the rear deck rather than the seat itself. In the 1G, it means you can't actually push something all the way to the back of the front seats because that seatbelt doesn't stretch far forward enough and just gets in the way. Honda is supposed to all about practicality and thoughtful utility...

One plus is that the 40 is on the passenger side. Might seem like a minor thing, but if you have a car seat, you're most likely going to put it on the passenger side rather than driver side so that you don't have to stand in traffic loading/unloading a baby when street parking. That means you can still fold down the 60 side, which is huge if you need to fit a big stroller and baby gear that won't fit with all the seats up. It's actually one of my big gripes about my Volvo.
It is a pre-production car. Things may be different on the production model.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I would like for them to simply just allow the trunk to open all the way when you try and open it. Even the TLX tech didn’t have that. Not sure if any TLX do. Something very simple that can make the car feel more premium
Old 08-08-2020, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

No ...12V?
An even more elaborate (non Entertainment package) rear-console, but not on 2014-MDX either. We told many about the over-sight. They finally added it to MDX years later.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:37 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It is a pre-production car. Things may be different on the production model.
It's like the 11th hour. I don't think that's changing anytime soon.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

The weird thing is you don’t see nonsense like that on the RDX, which for 2019 was also supposedly designed from a clean slate. When you fold down the rear seats on the RDX, you don’t have seatbelts that get in the way. You don’t have to worry about your cargo being wider than some tiny aperture that’s only a fraction of the actual interior width of the car.

And yet it’s the TLX that’s supposed to be Acura’s new flagship model. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. Hopefully the Type S will hit a driving dynamics home run, but when Acura overlooks details like the interior ergonomics and finishing, it greatly diminishes the ownership experience.
pyrodan007 (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
The weird thing is you don’t see nonsense like that on the RDX, which for 2019 was also supposedly designed from a clean slate. When you fold down the rear seats on the RDX, you don’t have seatbelts that get in the way. You don’t have to worry about your cargo being wider than some tiny aperture that’s only a fraction of the actual interior width of the car.

And yet it’s the TLX that’s supposed to be Acura’s new flagship model. Doesn’t make a lot of sense. Hopefully the Type S will hit a driving dynamics home run, but when Acura overlooks details like the interior ergonomics and finishing, it greatly diminishes the ownership experience.
Maybe it's another attempt to differentiate themselves from Honda. One of the things that makes Honda so great is that they package the interior so well, and everything is thoughtful, practical, and useful. I guess Acura figures if they package it poorly, nobody will complain about it just being a gussied up Honda anymore . The rear seats still look tiny for its size. This car has a wheelbase that's 3" longer than the Accord, and yet the Accord manages to have an absolutely massive backseat. I guess they figure families will buy the RDX, so it doesn't matter what the rear seats are like in this car. Sucks for anyone who has a family but doesn't want a crossover.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-08-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it's another attempt to differentiate themselves from Honda. One of the things that makes Honda so great is that they package the interior so well, and everything is thoughtful, practical, and useful. I guess Acura figures if they package it poorly, nobody will complain about it just being a gussied up Honda anymore . The rear seats still look tiny for its size. This car has a wheelbase that's 3" longer than the Accord, and yet the Accord manages to have an absolutely massive backseat.
I look forward to the Blaupunkt tape deck in the 3G TLX then.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**