2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
The red inserts would look much better. The red grab handles reminds me of someone who just discovered vinyl paint at Pep Boys and decided to overenthusiastically paint everything on their interior.
Nope. Too much red.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Best I can tell for the TLX 2.0T wheels, they are all the same "Interwoven" pattern wheels (for Tech and A-Spec), just with different parts painted different colors (or mostly bare on the Advance).
Not sure what the wheels on the Standard base-model look like.

OK, my excitement about wheels has worn-off now.
They are essentially the same with somewhat different looks depending upon the trim. I like all three, and since I am leaning Platinum Elite, I like those rims, although not as much as the ASpec model. The entry level rims in Canada are okay, just not my first choice. THis is an improvement over the RDX where the top end model had the worst looking rims, IMHO.
As for your excitement, don't let a few negative folks kill your enthusiasm. Your opinion is ultimately the only one that counts.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1, yeah 1990 NA1 list was $62k which is $126k in 2020. 1995 was $81k, which is $140k in 2020. So the NC1 is priced pretty much in the same range as the NA1, it's just now there's much more competition today (IIRC, Honda's marketing had the 348, 911, and C4 as the 1G NSX competition in a WSJ article fro the mid 2000's about the end of the NSX producion, pretty interesting article). I've been at the Amelia Concours and looked pretty closely at Huracan, R8, NSX, and 911 Turbo on display. I don't recall there being too great a difference in overall quality of interrior appointments and material. The only thing I would say looked a little off on the NSX was some of the brackets and secondary mechancal structural pieces under the front hood.
yeah there were some new suspension pieces (hubs, bushings, rollbars,...) as well as software updates to the steering, shocks, front motors,... for 2019
https://global.honda/newsroom/worldn...n-Updates.html
+1, forgot you owned a NC1 in your impressive Honda/Acura fleet. Now this thread/forum have a real actual NC1 owner who's transported ice cream in their NC1 without any problem! I like ice cream as well
Have never driven a NC1, but would like to sometime. I see about the same usablity for the mid-engine exotics (488, Huracan, R8, NSX). The main issue I see with the NSX is the hybrid system which give some advanatges (torque vectoring and low end torque but also increased weight) that sort of makes it a less expensive 919 but also the weight and potential long term logivity issues.
As you mentioned a 911 (my brother has a 993 and 996 cabriolet can be a little more practical than a mid-engine). For a good laugh, back in 2012, my wife, two daughters and I spent 4 days with his 996 in Miami Beach (his Cayenne Turbo was in the bodyshop that had delays). It was amusing to see my two teenage daughters in the backseat facing each other with their legs in each other's laps. Won't recommend it but it's barely possible to get a famly of four into a 911 (top was always down so we got a few stares.

As for your car seat, a friend of a friend in Potomac VA has a F40 and took his elementary school son to work one morning when his tiger mom was busy, fortunately the school loop has no speed bumps.

FWIW, I love the rigid lower crankcase design of the NC1 V6, it's very racing like that eash of the crank pins have their own oil chamber to allow the pistons to help each other on down/up strokes (just like modern F1 engines) but also three scavenger pumps and 3 drain plugs. There's seven engine oil drain plugs on a NC1 along with a unsual canister oil filter mounted in the V. Somehow I doubt the TLX Type-S V6 will have something this exotic.

Nope not quite. This is what a high performance mass market daily driver block that also is expected to run hundreds of thousands miles should look like. The block in the upper picture is a shallow skirt block saves weight but sacrifices rigidity & strength. The one below is a deep skirt the has both 4 bolt mains & 10 cross bolts in red box. These 5.0L & 5.2L DOHC 32 valve V8's will run mid-upper 8,000 rpms with anvil like reliability.

Since you can get them in a $25,000 car or $8,500 in a box there is no reason the TLX can't have one.

The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 02:02 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
+1, yeah 1990 NA1 list was $62k which is $126k in 2020. 1995 was $81k, which is $140k in 2020. So the NC1 is priced pretty much in the same range as the NA1, it's just now there's much more competition today (IIRC, Honda's marketing had the 348, 911, and C4 as the 1G NSX competition in a WSJ article fro the mid 2000's about the end of the NSX producion, pretty interesting article). I've been at the Amelia Concours and looked pretty closely at Huracan, R8, NSX, and 911 Turbo on display. I don't recall there being too great a difference in overall quality of interrior appointments and material. The only thing I would say looked a little off on the NSX was some of the brackets and secondary mechancal structural pieces under the front hood.

yeah there were some new suspension pieces (hubs, bushings, rollbars,...) as well as software updates to the steering, shocks, front motors,... for 2019
https://global.honda/newsroom/worldn...n-Updates.html

+1, forgot you owned a NC1 in your impressive Honda/Acura fleet. Now this thread/forum have a real actual NC1 owner who's transported ice cream in their NC1 without any problem! I like ice cream as well

Have never driven a NC1, but would like to sometime. I see about the same usablity for the mid-engine exotics (488, Huracan, R8, NSX). The main issue I see with the NSX is the hybrid system which give some advanatges (torque vectoring and low end torque but also increased weight) that sort of makes it a less expensive 919 but also the weight and potential long term logivity issues.

As you mentioned a 911 (my brother has a 993 and 996 cabriolet can be a little more practical than a mid-engine). For a good laugh, back in 2012, my wife, two daughters and I spent 4 days with his 996 in Miami Beach (his Cayenne Turbo was in the bodyshop that had delays). It was amusing to see my two teenage daughters in the backseat facing each other with their legs in each other's laps. Won't recommend it but it's barely possible to get a famly of four into a 911 (top was always down so we got a few stares.

As for your car seat, a friend of a friend in Potomac VA has a F40 and took his elementary school son to work one morning when his tiger mom was busy, fortunately the school loop has no speed bumps.

FWIW, I love the rigid lower crankcase design of the NC1 V6, it's very racing like that eash of the crank pins have their own oil chamber to allow the pistons to help each other on down/up strokes (just like modern F1 engines) but also three scavenger pumps and 3 drain plugs. There's seven engine oil drain plugs on a NC1 along with a unsual canister oil filter mounted in the V. Somehow I doubt the TLX Type-S V6 will have something this exotic.

Yea the NC1 has very limited cargo capacity. I think the main issue is that there's no frunk. Having said that, I have done road trips in it and it offers enough storage room for both me and my wife.

And yea, the NA1 wasn't exactly cheap back in the days, It was also competing with the lesser 911 (i.e. carrera rather than turbo). The NC1 is (or was) more of a 911 turbo competitor. In hindsight, MAY BE it wasn't such a bad idea that Honda initially was going with a tuned J35 V6 instead of this bespoke V6 TT. A tuned J35 V6 at 350hp plus hybrid power of 70hp for a total of 420hp would go well against a base 911 and that would be quite a lot cheaper than developing and building a bespoke race car engine. I'd imagine that could bring the MSRP down by $60k.

My NC1 only has about 11000km. So far it's been trouble-free, and long may that continue! I know another NSX owner already has about 70000 miles on his though and still going strong with no issues. While the hybrid system is complicated, I think it's good that this system is in the RLX and MDX, so it's not really a bespoke system and there's more reliability data available?

I thought about changing the oil myself on the NC1...I looked at the DIY guy and it's actually not bad. Just ran out of time before a track day and couldn't attempt it...may be next time! Just got some new brake rotors and pads delivered today...gonna attempt to DIY the install!
Old 09-01-2020, 11:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,070 Likes on 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Nope not quite. This is what a high performance mass market daily driver block that also is expected to run hundreds of thousands miles should look like. The block in the upper picture is a shallow skirt block saves weight but sacrifices rigidity & strength. The one below is a deep skirt the has both 4 bolt mains & 10 cross bolts in red box. These 5.0L & 5.2L DOHC 32 valve V8's will run mid-upper 8,000 rpms with anvil like reliability.

Since you can get them in a $25,000 car or $8,500 in a box there is no reason the TLX can't have one.

Yeah, the Honda C and J series motor have deep skirted blocks have the cross main bearing cap bolts.
The J-series has two vertical bolts and two side bolts for 4 bolt main caps.
Here's a Legend C32 with 6 bolt main caps, with the "7" tube to allow the intermediate driveshaft through the oil sump.

The other production motor I know of that had a true lower crankcase is the NorthStar which has a fairly troubled history (blown head gaskets and pulled headbolt threads out of the block).
It does have a very robust bottom end, oh and they also leak alot of oil (former boss had on in his Cadillac)

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea the NC1 has very limited cargo capacity. I think the main issue is that there's no frunk. Having said that, I have done road trips in it and it offers enough storage room for both me and my wife.

And yea, the NA1 wasn't exactly cheap back in the days, It was also competing with the lesser 911 (i.e. carrera rather than turbo). The NC1 is (or was) more of a 911 turbo competitor. In hindsight, MAY BE it wasn't such a bad idea that Honda initially was going with a tuned J35 V6 instead of this bespoke V6 TT. A tuned J35 V6 at 350hp plus hybrid power of 70hp for a total of 420hp would go well against a base 911 and that would be quite a lot cheaper than developing and building a bespoke race car engine. I'd imagine that could bring the MSRP down by $60k.

My NC1 only has about 11000km. So far it's been trouble-free, and long may that continue! I know another NSX owner already has about 70000 miles on his though and still going strong with no issues. While the hybrid system is complicated, I think it's good that this system is in the RLX and MDX, so it's not really a bespoke system and there's more reliability data available?

I thought about changing the oil myself on the NC1...I looked at the DIY guy and it's actually not bad. Just ran out of time before a track day and couldn't attempt it...may be next time! Just got some new brake rotors and pads delivered today...gonna attempt to DIY the install!
That's impressive it's gone 70k miles and no issues, I agree that having the dual motor rear setup for the RLX and upcoming MDX probably helps alot with design/reliability/cost. Neighbor up the street has a RLX Hybrid that's ~6 years old and it's been solid as well.

I find the whole backstory of the design and development of the 2G NSX facinating that it even got produced in the end. The V10 Acura ASCC concept, then HSV-010 concept, then initial transverse NA V6 design/development in the mid 2010's when it seemed like to be competitive in the market FI and ~2x the power would be needed. Then finally taking the design to a tech approach by commissioning a Cosworth co-developed V6TT integrated with Honda's hybrid planar electric motor and dual motors for the front (even surpassing Porsche 919 with tech). The overall approach I find pretty amazing.

FYI, there's a really cool NC1 suspension analysis and YouTube video by Dan Edmunds you'd probably be interested in. Unreal the attention to detail of the forged aluminum control arms to the electronic suspension position sensor. Can't even imagine all the electronic input parameters, control S/W and electrical output controls that are available to the engineers.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/13/...ion-deep-dive/

FWIW, that oil filter access panel in the rear trunk I imagine is very handy but I would have many many rags in the trunk when taking out the canister filter
Anyway, enough babbling back to work for me

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-01-2020 at 11:55 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac

FIRE!!!
Is this the only red color they'll have?
Old 09-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 267 Posts
Just want to say the SH-AWD, rear subframe/suspension, and exhaust layout all follow the footsteps of RDX. The concept for the rear subframe/suspension is different from CR-V/Accord. TLX variant seems to have one more aluminum arm compared to RDX, again looking good from handling/ride quality perspective.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's nice that they gave us a half an inch more rear leg room but I was disappointed that they reduced the rear hip and shoulder room and utterly shocked that they reduced the front leg room by over six inches. This does not bode well for people who have long legs and take semi long drives. Hopefully this was a typo, otherwise this is a no go no matter how adjustable the seats are within a 36 inch limitation.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
One last observation. Where are the auto dimming side mirrors?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by MGP99999
It's nice that they gave us a half an inch more rear leg room but I was disappointed that they reduced the rear hip and shoulder room and utterly shocked that they reduced the front leg room by over six inches. This does not bode well for people who have long legs and take semi long drives. Hopefully this was a typo, otherwise this is a no go no matter how adjustable the seats are within a 36 inch limitation.
6 inches off the front leg room? I hope this isnt true. Where the hell did they put all that space?
Old 09-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
6 inches off the front leg room? I hope this isnt true. Where the hell did they put all that space?
I imagine it's got to be a typo; otherwise there's less combined legroom than a Yaris.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:22 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yeah, the Honda C and J series motor have deep skirted blocks have the cross main bearing cap bolts.
The J-series has two vertical bolts and two side bolts for 4 bolt main caps.
Here's a Legend C32 with 6 bolt main caps, with the "7" tube to allow the intermediate driveshaft through the oil sump.

The other production motor I know of that had a true lower crankcase is the NorthStar which has a fairly troubled history (blown head gaskets and pulled headbolt threads out of the block).
It does have a very robust bottom end, oh and they also leak alot of oil (former boss had on in his Cadillac)

That's impressive it's gone 70k miles and no issues, I agree that having the dual motor rear setup for the RLX and upcoming MDX probably helps alot with design/reliability/cost. Neighbor up the street has a RLX Hybrid that's ~6 years old and it's been solid as well.

I find the whole backstory of the design and development of the 2G NSX facinating that it even got produced in the end. The V10 Acura ASCC concept, then HSV-010 concept, then initial transverse NA V6 design/development in the mid 2010's when it seemed like to be competitive in the market FI and ~2x the power would be needed. Then finally taking the design to a tech approach by commissioning a Cosworth co-developed V6TT integrated with Honda's hybrid planar electric motor and dual motors for the front (even surpassing Porsche 919 with tech). The overall approach I find pretty amazing.

FYI, there's a really cool NC1 suspension analysis and YouTube video by Dan Edmunds you'd probably be interested in. Unreal the attention to detail of the forged aluminum control arms to the electronic suspension position sensor. Can't even imagine all the electronic input parameters, control S/W and electrical output controls that are available to the engineers.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/13/...ion-deep-dive/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn__...ature=emb_logo

FWIW, that oil filter access panel in the rear trunk I imagine is very handy but I would have many many rags in the trunk when taking out the canister filter
Anyway, enough babbling back to work for me
Gonna watch it now just before bed time! It's not easy to find videos like this for the NSX. Thanks for sharing!

Acura definitely spent a lot of effort on the NSX. It seems like it's finally getting some recognition by journalists and car enthusiasts now. Sort of like the original car where it took a while for people to appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:47 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
What's the deal with the NSX? 7 drain plugs? Wheel bolts instead of studs and nuts? A canister oil filter (which the top mounted ones won't dump oil all over the place, bottom ones do if they don't have a drain)? Did Honda design that car, or the Europeans? Not a bad thing, it's just very ... European of them.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,070 Likes on 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
What's the deal with the NSX? 7 drain plugs? Wheel bolts instead of studs and nuts? A canister oil filter (which the top mounted ones won't dump oil all over the place, bottom ones do if they don't have a drain)? Did Honda design that car, or the Europeans? Not a bad thing, it's just very ... European of them.
3 sump, 1 oil resevior, the other 3 plugs? I saw the wheel bolts as well, which I found amusing. I was also amused there's a small wheel hub lip to hold the wheel while trying to get the first bolt in which was clever. FWIW, early Legend's had canister filters. But yeah even my brother's 996 has a canister (in a plastic housings no less), but IIRC his Cayenne's are cartridge oil filters. Top mouned filters also dump oil all over the engine as well, even top facing vetical oil filters have oil come out from the engine. From what I've read, NC1 was designed in Ohio, California, Japan. AFAIK only Euro connection was UK Cosworth on the engine codevelopment.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:31 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
3 sump, 1 oil resevior, the other 3 plugs? I saw the wheel bolts as well, which I found amusing. I was also amused there's a small wheel hub lip to hold the wheel while trying to get the first bolt in which was clever. FWIW, early Legend's had canister filters. But yeah even my brother's 996 has a canister (in a plastic housings no less), but IIRC his Cayenne's are cartridge oil filters. Top mouned filters also dump oil all over the engine as well, even top facing vetical oil filters have oil come out from the engine. From what I've read, NC1 was designed in Ohio, California, Japan. AFAIK only Euro connection was UK Cosworth on the engine codevelopment.
I meant cartridge filter. Brain fart. On the hundreds I've done, the oil spillage out of a top mounted cartridge was minimal. By the time you unscrew the filter, almost all the oil drains out and you're left with residual oil from the housing and filter element. A few droplets that can be easily contained with a single rag. Certain Hyundais, GMs, BMW & Mercedes (probably forgetting a few) ... never had an issue with oil spillage from their filters. Back when I wrenched, Audi were usually the ones who put their cartridges in asinine spots ... pretty sure they got better about it tho. I'd much rather service those filters compared to the ones mounted on the underside of the engine like Toyota does with their cartridges.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I love the new NSX and as I’ve described here a number of times, I have driven it on the track and on the street. I won’t repeat my experience here as I’ve described it a few times over the years. It is a misunderstood technological masterpiece that is ahead of its time. So why don’t I have one? Because it was more cost effective to twin turbo my NA2 NSX; the deal I got on my SOS twin turbo kit was a once in a lifetime, “friends and family” deal that I would have been stupid to say “no” too. I will own a NC1 NSX eventually, however.

Just waiting for that TLX Type S, which I’m still hoping will be the shiz. Let’s goooooo, Acura, let’s release the embargo on test drives!
New NSX is a Beast..period...if it was cheaper I would have got it instead of 2020 GT-R for my weekend Toy...back on topic...jmho
Old 09-03-2020, 04:03 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by MGP99999
2nd gen TLX Legroom – Front/Rear 36.3/34.9 [922/886] (From Acurazine sticky)

1st Gen TLX Legroom - Front: 42.6 in (1082 mm) Rear: 34.5 in (876 mm) (From Acura.com)

Not sure how they measure these. Someone who has sat in one should comment. But like others I was kind of surprised how they made the car so much bigger on the outside but couldn't manage to get any more room on the inside.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

ostrich (09-05-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Is that the new Mazda6?
silverTL6 (09-06-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 12:49 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFan1980
Press car?
Old 09-04-2020, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
2nd gen TLX Legroom – Front/Rear 36.3/34.9 [922/886] (From Acurazine sticky)

1st Gen TLX Legroom - Front: 42.6 in (1082 mm) Rear: 34.5 in (876 mm) (From Acura.com)

Not sure how they measure these. Someone who has sat in one should comment. But like others I was kind of surprised how they made the car so much bigger on the outside but couldn't manage to get any more room on the inside.
I would wait until Acura provides the legroom numbers, I believe it was a typo on Acura's end. The EPA Passenger Volume has actually increased by 0.1 cu ft along with an increase of 0.3 cu ft for the Cargo Volume compared to the 1G. Let's not be too quick to judge.

(From Acura.com - 1G on first column, 2G on second)

Old 09-04-2020, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Press car?
https://www.autoweek.com/news/future...lx-first-look/
Old 09-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I've been lukewarm to most of the pictures I've seen but this one is very nice!
Barbecue Tech Tips (09-07-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
How can the seat on a new car look that worn? The leather looks loose.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Let's take a break from all the bashings about weight and hp here, and have a look at the chassis:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09...to-the-new-tlx

Acura is playing its cards...
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
benjaminh (09-05-2020), Nedmundo (09-04-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 01:42 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Kense
Pre-production models.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:55 AM
Pro

Received 496 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
It was a pre-production model used to test the ELS. If you read the article, you'll see it was provided to the media to review the audio system.
Barbecue Tech Tips (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 02:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,587 Likes on 955 Posts
We need reviews!!! Cmon Acura.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Reviews to wait for:
Alex on Auto
Sofyan
Motormouth
Savagegeese
Doug Demuro but i am not sure if he will review it right away.

do you have any preferred reviewer?
Savageese and Alex on auto. The rest are worthless.
04WDPSeDaN (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
Agreed. Alex is the gold standard for informative car reviews, and Mark is brutally honest while still being entertaining and informative. For whatever reason, Sofyan/RR kind of annoys me. He reminds me of a HondaPro Jason, but for all brands; methinks he's worried if he says something bad, he'll lose press car access. Also not a huge fan of his recent videos that have started including his friend, who by and large seems very much like a non-car type of guy. The V60/Outback comparo review he did with him was particularly cringeworthy.

I actually do like Dougs reviews just because he covers things that nobody else even bothers going over. His driving review bit leaves something to be desired given that he only dries around city streets and doesn't get to take them out onto a windy road .
Old 09-07-2020, 05:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
savegegeese is the best. Also his production value is just next level. It’s like a movie.

I watch a lot of Alex and Soyans reviews.
04WDPSeDaN (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
What is it with the wrinkled drivers seat o that one pic.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Agreed. Alex is the gold standard for informative car reviews, and Mark is brutally honest while still being entertaining and informative. For whatever reason, Sofyan/RR kind of annoys me. He reminds me of a HondaPro Jason, but for all brands; methinks he's worried if he says something bad, he'll lose press car access. Also not a huge fan of his recent videos that have started including his friend, who by and large seems very much like a non-car type of guy. The V60/Outback comparo review he did with him was particularly cringeworthy.

I actually do like Dougs reviews just because he covers things that nobody else even bothers going over. His driving review bit leaves something to be desired given that he only dries around city streets and doesn't get to take them out onto a windy road .

Hahahah... Alex on Auto doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. He praised the 9 speed auto when the 1G TLX launched. I can't take him seriously anymore after that.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Hahahah... Alex on Auto doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. He praised the 9 speed auto when the 1G TLX launched. I can't take him seriously anymore after that.
Maybe he did at launch but he’s very critical of it now...a lot
Old 09-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmski
If you look at most reviews from early on, none of them really had an issue with the ZF9. Methinks that Acura used some of the better ones as press cars.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Alex is honest and explains well the features, pricing and competitions. Let’s not forget, no one is perfect and even these reviewers get some cars wrong at the time of testing.

i always felt Alex is a bit biased towards Nissan/Infiniti. But overall, I like him and trust his reviews.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:02 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Alex is honest and explains well the features, pricing and competitions. Let’s not forget, no one is perfect and even these reviewers get some cars wrong at the time of testing.

i always felt Alex is a bit biased towards Nissan/Infiniti. But overall, I like him and trust his reviews.
alex is probably one of the most detailed reviewers out there.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Alex really goes in depth and I enjoy his videos for that. Doug is definitely one of my favorites as he sees the quirks which I enjoy myself. Sofyan tends to be very positive in all his reviews but at the same time explains the history of the model/make during his reviews and that's where he will point out any flaws for the vehicle whether it be current or past. Savagegeese is a legend, his production makes everyone elses look like shit and all he does is give honest reviews which is why I respect them.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 263 Posts
Savagegeese is the best. He had to rent a Tesla 3 cause I'm sure Tesla would not give him a press car and he shredded that car for poor quality.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Savagegeese the best +1. Having said that, some of his observations can be wrong, for example in the 3G RDX review he complained that the transmission did not rev-match on downshift.
The truth is that the 10AT only rev-match in S mode, and only when the rpm is high enough (i.e. torque converter is locked).

If I can wish for more, I hope he works with Dan Edmunds to do more in-depth technical review of chassis/suspension.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**