2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Flapjackura
To clarify my earlier post - some of the reviewers have suggested this line of "showroom lure" way of thinking - and it's a strange argument/justification/potential explanation for the back row design lapse on the part of Acura with the TLX. The TLX needs to compete with other luxury sedans, not just serve as a showroom lure to get people to go test drive an RDX as an alternative. To not offer improvements over the Accord in every single way - including back seat space - just seems odd. How many people - sedan buyers - are crossing the TLX off their shopping list - even reluctantly so - and strongly considering a loaded Accord mainly due to the back seat space? I'll bet that it's a fairly sizable number. They're figuring, OK - let's go for an Accord, it's less luxurious but it's extremely well regarded, manages to look swankier than it really is, and is less expensive and has a cavernous back seat, too. Those folks will pass a TLX 2 on the road, sigh, and think, that's such a cool looking a car, a shame about the back seat....
That's an interesting point, because historically Acura buyers tend to over-index on practicality and sensibility compared to BMW, Mercedes, and Audi buyers. In general Hondas/Acuras have been thoughtfully designed, ergonomic, and practical. By leaning more into the "emotional" side of things by choosing form over function, I can't help but wonder if Acura is just looking to differentiate it from Honda by eschewing one of the aspects where Honda/Acura had an advantage. I know Acura is desperate to differentiate itself from Honda, but I don't think this particular approach is the answer, unless they are confident that potential owners who are put off by the new direction will be captured and funneled to their higher-margin crossovers, which still largely have practicality and utility in spades.

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-22-2021 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Flapjackura (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Flagship sedan doesn't mean a lot in the case of Acura. They have focused all their energies and marketing on the upcoming MDX (and rightly so).

If Wiedeking had listened to all the Porsche purists, the Cayenne would have never made it to market and Porsche would have eventually tanked selling only sports sedans.

Crossover is king until the king is dead.
If they really believed that why didn't they just do a FORD USA & save the development money? As for marketing, TV here has been flooded with TLX videos, RLX & MDX not so much.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
You nailed! But sadly this is AcuraZine my friend and you will be called a fanboy by stating the fact! hahahah! These non fanboys are here to help Acura improve LMAO!

It blows my mind that people have ZERO interest in Acura brand, but yet they spend hours and hours arguing that G70 and A4 are better than TLX. I wish I had 10% of their time to go around and chat in BMW and Lexus forums. That said, I don't even bother reading some of the members comments anymore, as I know them well by now. Just ignore them.
Why don't you take a shot & see what the results are? Could be a lot of fun.

Bimmerpost
Or
Bimmerfest

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-22-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
To clarify my earlier post - some of the reviewers have suggested this line of "showroom lure" way of thinking - and it's a strange argument/justification/potential explanation for the back row design lapse on the part of Acura with the TLX. The TLX needs to compete with other luxury sedans, not just serve as a showroom lure to get people to go test drive an RDX as an alternative. To not offer improvements over the Accord in every single way - including back seat space - just seems odd. How many people - sedan buyers - are crossing the TLX off their shopping list - even reluctantly so - and strongly considering a loaded Accord mainly due to the back seat space? I'll bet that it's a fairly sizable number. They're figuring, OK - let's go for an Accord, it's less luxurious but it's extremely well regarded, manages to look swankier than it really is, and is less expensive and has a cavernous back seat, too. Those folks will pass a TLX 2 on the road, sigh, and think, that's such a cool looking a car, a shame about the back seat....
The rear seat spacing is competitive for its class (A4, C-Class, 3 series, G70, and IS). The Accord is not supposed to be part of this "class."

If we include the Accord, then there's no point in the Acura badging as a premium or pseudo-luxury car.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

The rear seat spacing is competitive for its class (A4, C-Class, 3 series, G70, and IS). The Accord is not supposed to be part of this "class."

If we include the Accord, then there's no point in the Acura badging as a premium or pseudo-luxury car.
That may be, but other than the A4, all the other cars in that class are RWD based, so it's expected that the interior cabin space will be compromised compared to a FWD-based car. If there were physical limitations that prevents the TLX from having a more usable backseat, then that would be an easier pill to swallow, but it sounds like this was a design choice made for aesthetic purposes. The fact that this car is dimensionally as large as cars one segment higher is just salt in the wound.
pyrodan007 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The fact that this car is dimensionally as large as cars one segment higher is just salt in the wound.
I'm guessing that's a bit of hedging on Acura's part. They'll gladly have automotive folks comparing the TLX against the midsize class while only paying compact pricing. Luxury midsize interiors are not as cavernous as non-luxury counterparts.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
That's an interesting point, because historically Acura buyers tend to over-index on practicality and sensibility compared to BMW, Mercedes, and Audi buyers. In general Hondas/Acuras have been thoughtfully designed, ergonomic, and practical. By leaning more into the "emotional" side of things by choosing form over function, I can't help but wonder if Acura is just looking to differentiate it from Honda by eschewing one of the aspects where Honda/Acura had an advantage. I know Acura is desperate to differentiate itself from Honda, but I don't think this particular approach is the answer, unless they are confident that potential owners who are put off by the new direction will be captured and funneled to their higher-margin crossovers, which still largely have practicality and utility in spades.
Agreed. Equally great points. "That's an interesting point, because historically Acura buyers tend to over-index on practicality and sensibility compared to BMW, Mercedes, and Audi buyers." And that pretty much describes my thinking to a "T" (LX) LOL
pyrodan007 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (01-23-2021), Nedmundo (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
0-60 5.8 sec., MotorWeek has great test facilities here in MD for MPT. They use the same facility for all their tests
5.8 is pretty good for the new TLX. MotorWeek had the 07 Type S at 5.7 and having had one that was pretty fast back then. Not sure how much faith I have in that having the 2018 tlx V6 awd. I haven't and probably will never drive the 4cyl TLX but if it does 5.8 then that's IMO not bad for the size and weight of the car. My own opinion on the 18 tlx I had was it was reviewed by Car and Driver at Zero to 60 mph: 5.7-6.8 sec. Quite a range. Having owned it I would say it was on the latter end of that range. Hard to believe 5.8 seconds 0-60 on the 2021 model. Anyway, a test drive is all it takes to know if it's fast or not. I knew on the first drive of the 1st gen TLX is was not anything close to an 07/08 type S.

Edit: A lot of the feeling of fast is relative to what you come from.
BEAR-AvHistory (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Drivers taller than 6’ need not apply!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
1. because historically Acura buyers tend to over-index on practicality and sensibility compared to BMW, Mercedes, and Audi buyers. In general Hondas/Acuras have been thoughtfully designed, ergonomic, and practical.

2. I can't help but wonder if Acura is just looking to differentiate it from Honda by eschewing one of the aspects where Honda/Acura had an advantage.
1. Exactly. So, we don't even really need to be critical on performance or tech when they missed on basic things like length & width (garage parking), turning-radius, and back-seat space.

2. Yeah, it's almost like that.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
1. Exactly. So, we don't even really need to be critical on performance or tech when they missed on basic things like length & width (garage parking), turning-radius, and back-seat space.

2. Yeah, it's almost like that.
I see alot of people mentioning the size is a problem for garage parking. Im confused as to why this is, ive never seen a garage that would be too small for this car. Standard garage sizes range from 18ft in length to 24ft. My TL is almost identical in length and I still have an extra 6ft in my double car garage. Girlfriend also parks her big Telluride beside me and we both can still easily get in and out so width is not an issue.
amcobra (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PredatorWH
I see alot of people mentioning the size is a problem for garage parking. Im confused as to why this is, ive never seen a garage that would be too small for this car. Standard garage sizes range from 18ft in length to 24ft. My TL is almost identical in length and I still have an extra 6ft in my double car garage. Girlfriend also parks her big Telluride beside me and we both can still easily get in and out so width is not an issue.
Depends on where you live. Our 1G barely fits lengthwise in our garage. Garages here tend to be quite small because that's space that could otherwise be used for living area (and the all-important finished square footage). Tis the price we pay for living in SF. Trim an extra 5 feet off from the front of the garage and you can add about 100sqft, which is worth about $100K in these parts.

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-22-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PredatorWH
We only park our vehicles inside garage. We always have a least one newer vehicle, so when getting in/out … door are not allowed to touch the other vehicle or wall. We park 2-3 inches clear of garage-doors to prevent scratches or damage (these aren’t old bangers).

Using my old 2004 Honda Accord V6 sedan as the template, the G2 TLX is 5 inches longer and 3 inches wider. It would have fit, but a perfectly good freezer would have had to been replaced with a smaller model. Maybe if there was an advantage to the larger size my final feelings about it would have been different.

Even with parking-lasers, you still need an inch or so of wiggle-room in both directions. Only the Advance having power-folding-mirrors further aggravates the situation (reportedly, not even the G2 TLX Type-S will get them). You don't want to scratch mirror tips on door frame. You can't really fold them first because then the surround cameras don't work.

If the wife would have still had her 2014-MDX, I believe we would have had width problems as well.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-23-2021 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Interesting, I posted this a few days ago

"Personally would not buy a 4 door sedan. If I want or need room a big box SUV is my choice. So that takes me out or defending or attacking the sedan.

Might be simplistic but if someone is buying a sedan its because they need to put someone in the back seat on a regular bases, baby chair, kids, adults, big dogs whatever. The space therefor should be comfortable for a long trip. Around town not as critical. If they don't have that requirement why not just buy a coupe which can move people baby's & dogs on occasion & will be a lot more fun to drive?

Another thing I also don't buy, American, Korean, Japanese, German why a "luxury" cars interior is OK be a step down from its cheaper sibling brand. Recognize a lot of "luxury" brands sell smaller less expensive cars. But when you go to the image creation model of a specific luxury brand above your mainstream brand why not make it the top dog in all departments."

Some of the guys keep s​​​aying its as big as this its as big as that like you are buying cloth by the yard. Agree its bigger but what's the point if it only has the interior space of a smaller car? Used to be they made cars bigger so they had more room inside, not to just get a fake RWD silhouette.

Then the turn around & at the same time put the bigger interior in their mainstream car that starts at only $25,000.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-23-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:43 AM
Racer

Drivers taller than 6’ need not apply!
I'm 6'2" and fit just fine in the front seat. The tall guy in that review comes across as a bit of a clod. I have no need to angle the seat back as far as he did, either. Could he even once recognize that 6'3" is a bit on the unusual side for being tall? OK, man, we get it - the car is oddly proportioned. A car reviewer with any degree of journalistic professionalism should acknowledge that he or she should be trying to review the car based on how it is likely to appeal to a broad base of people, and not repeated bitching about whether or not it's exactly right for only him or her. One statement of "I am too tall for this car at six foot three" would have sufficed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
a35tl (01-23-2021), amcobra (01-23-2021), ELIN (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Drifting

I'm 6'2" and fit just fine in the front seat. The tall guy in that review comes across as a bit of a clod. I have no need to angle the seat back as far as he did, either. Could he even once recognize that 6'3" is a bit on the unusual side for being tall? OK, man, we get it - the car is oddly proportioned. A car reviewer with any degree of journalistic professionalism should acknowledge that he or she should be trying to review the car based on how it is likely to appeal to a broad base of people, and not repeated bitching about whether or not it's exactly right for only him or her. One statement of "I am too tall for this car at six foot three" would have sufficed.
I was also surprised when he said that he preferred the backseat of the G70. On paper, the G70 is tighter than the TLX.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Drifting

We only park our vehicles inside garage. We always have a least one newer vehicle, so when getting in/out … door are not allowed to touch the other vehicle or wall. We park 2-3 inches clear of garage-doors to prevent scratches or damage (these aren’t old bangers).

Using my old 2004 Honda Accord V6 sedan as the template, the G2 TLX is 5 inches longer and 3 inches wider. It would have fit, but a perfectly good freezer would have had to been replaced with a smaller model. Maybe if there was an advantage to the larger size my final feelings about it would have been different.

Even with parking-lasers, you still need an inch or so of wiggle-room in both directions. Only the Advance having power-folding-mirrors further aggravates the situation (reportedly, not even the G2 TLX Type-S will get them). You don't want to scratch mirror tips on door frame. You can't really fold them first because then the surround cameras don't work.

If the wife would have still had her 2014-MDX, I believe we would have had width problems as well.
I thought everything was big in TX, even garages!
Old 01-23-2021, 09:04 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
You nailed! But sadly this is AcuraZine my friend and you will be called a fanboy by stating the fact! hahahah! These non fanboys are here to help Acura improve LMAO!

It blows my mind that people have ZERO interest in Acura brand, but yet they spend hours and hours arguing that G70 and A4 are better than TLX. I wish I had 10% of their time to go around and chat in BMW and Lexus forums. That said, I don't even bother reading some of the members comments anymore, as I know them well by now. Just ignore them.
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Why don't you take a shot & see what the results are? Could be a lot of fun.

Bimmerpost
Or
Bimmerfest

As BEAR suggested, here you go Tony

TLX Discussion:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1724976

MDX Discussion:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781832

General NON-BMW Discussion:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Take your time and read through some of the discussions. What a refreshing feeling knowing that enthusiasts can discuss different vehicles, agree to disagree in a respectful manner, no need to act like a child and insult others or make antagonistic remarks. To be quite honest with you, certain members here and the same / others on the TLX 2nd Gen Facebook group is why the car community is trash. Don't agree with me? Most of these topics always turn abrasive and a pissing contest of some sort. Another prime example, someone mentions BMW on that TLX 2nd gen group and it becomes a BMW is trash, Acura is better, aka I have the bigger penis argument.
The following 4 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
amcobra (01-23-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (01-23-2021), pyrodan007 (01-23-2021), Tesla1856 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

I thought everything was big in TX, even garages!
It's actually fairly large for a 2-car garage. We just have too much stuff. Maybe I'm the only one who likes to have an upright tool-box and small workbench in garage? How about a water-softener and freezer?
Anyway, this is only our second-house ever. But next one will have 2.5 or 3.0 car garage.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Depends on where you live. Our 1G barely fits lengthwise in our garage. Garages here tend to be quite small because that's space that could otherwise be used for living area (and the all-important finished square footage). Tis the price we pay for living in SF. Trim an extra 5 feet off from the front of the garage and you can add about 100sqft, which is worth about $100K in these parts.
Same here in Center City Philadelphia, unless you have a huge recent townhouse with a two-car garage, and those are generally well over $1.5 million. The newest in our neighborhood were around $2.3m, and Philly is cheap compared to SF and NYC.

Our place was built in 1980, and it would be very difficult to fit the TLX in our garage. The width would be almost as much an issue as the length, and the large turning radius would be a hassle for getting in and out.

I think I'd like the TLX, but it's simply too big for our urban environment.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
As BEAR suggested, here you go Tony

TLX Discussion:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1724976

MDX Discussion:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781832

General NON-BMW Discussion:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Take your time and read through some of the discussions. What a refreshing feeling knowing that enthusiasts can discuss different vehicles, agree to disagree in a respectful manner, no need to act like a child and insult others or make antagonistic remarks. To be quite honest with you, certain members here and the same / others on the TLX 2nd Gen Facebook group is why the car community is trash. Don't agree with me? Most of these topics always turn abrasive and a pissing contest of some sort. Another prime example, someone mentions BMW on that TLX 2nd gen group and it becomes a BMW is trash, Acura is better, aka I have the bigger penis argument.
Of all the sites i have used only here & the Corvette site at the mention of Porsche or the Exotics blows up into smart ass personal comments so fast. As a former owner have one foot on both Corvette & Porsche side. Its a case of my Corvette is as good as your more expensive Porsche/Ferrari etc. Sound familiar? Not good for the brand in either case.

What's funny at Corvette is many of the guys there use the StingRay as their rainy day car to keep the Exotics out of the weather. The car itself should be able to out weight the criticism on its own. If it does it does not matter what anyone posts who has an issue with the car. If someone is incorrect about a claim just provide info about why its incorrect.
04WDPSeDaN (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:41 AM
Drifting

It's actually fairly large for a 2-car garage. We just have too much stuff. Maybe I'm the only one who likes to have an upright tool-box and small workbench in garage? How about a water-softener and freezer?
Anyway, this is only our second-house ever. But next one will have 2.5 or 3.0 car garage.
Mine is about a 2.5 car garage. I could probably make it 3 if I had like 2 Corollas bumper to bumper.

First world problems...
Old 01-23-2021, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Mine is about a 2.5 car garage. I could probably make it 3 if I had like 2 Corollas bumper to bumper.

First world problems...
Yeah agree, 4+ car wide driveway 2 3/4 wide garage. Used the dead space inside for my workbenches & fixed tools.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
Our place was built in 1980, and it would be very difficult to fit the TLX in our garage. The width would be almost as much an issue as the length, and the large turning radius would be a hassle for getting in and out.

I think I'd like the TLX, but it's simply too big for our urban environment.
We already swapped the MDX 7-seater for Audi 5-seater. Our needs changed, so we were ready to down-size a bit.
Yeah, the 1G TLX (and Honda Accord v6 sedan) is about my limit. I was ready for something like that or even a bit smaller (but not as small as Civic, ILX, or A3). The Audi A6/S6 was also excluded due to size.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Thats crazy!! I live in a small city, sacrificing garage space for a measly 100sqft would probably make the house harder to sell and worth less here. I guess it makes sense in a big city where space is at a premium.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm 6'-2" as well but don't want to be driving around in a car that looks too small for me. I will be giving the TLX a hard look but I agree with others if you are going to compromise the back so much might as well as made a coupe. Another reason why the value proposition for FWD is diminishing, I know it won't happen but they should have just went RWD. I cant believe to stay with Acura I may have to go with and MDX if I want something premium. I will definetly give the Type S MDX a look, if it can do 0-60 under 5 seconds, I would be willing to forgo a sedan, especially with the killer sound system and DWB on MDX.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
I'm 6'-2" as well but don't want to be driving around in a car that looks too small for me. I will be giving the TLX a hard look but I agree with others if you are going to compromise the back so much might as well as made a coupe. Another reason why the value proposition for FWD is diminishing, I know it won't happen but they should have just went RWD. I cant believe to stay with Acura I may have to go with and MDX if I want something premium. I will definetly give the Type S MDX a look, if it can do 0-60 under 5 seconds, I would be willing to forgo a sedan, especially with the killer sound system and DWB on MDX.
Well - I'm a bachelor so back seat space to me, admittedly, is a non-issue. So I have a bias in that sense - since I don't need a huge back seat, I'm annoyed when people piss and moan about TLX-2's back seat. I'll even admit to being unduly annoyed. But that reviewer in that video just beat that subject to death. Could he try to be a little more objective and quit bitching about things that bother him personally? It would be like a movie critic opening a review of a Star Trek movie by stating how much he loathes Star Trek, then proceeding to trash the film. Sorry, friend, but your credibility kind of goes out the air lock when ya do that. I do however fully agree that Acura should have considered shrinking the trunk space a bit to enable more legroom in the back. Perhaps they will do this for the TLX 3, if it ever happens. Some reviewers have said the rear seat space is just OK; but tall people beware. THAT is a fair statement.
a35tl (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:34 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Well - I'm a bachelor so back seat space to me, admittedly, is a non-issue. So I have a bias in that sense - since I don't need a huge back seat, I'm annoyed when people piss and moan about TLX-2's back seat. I'll even admit to being unduly annoyed. But that reviewer in that video just beat that subject to death. Could he try to be a little more objective and quit bitching about things that bother him personally? It would be like a movie critic opening a review of a Star Trek movie by stating how much he loathes Star Trek, then proceeding to trash the film. Sorry, friend, but your credibility kind of goes out the air lock when ya do that. I do however fully agree that Acura should have considered shrinking the trunk space a bit to enable more legroom in the back. Perhaps they will do this for the TLX 3, if it ever happens. Some reviewers have said the rear seat space is just OK; but tall people beware. THAT is a fair statement.
I get 90% of the time I'm in the car by myself. But the 10% of the time when I need to take kids to sports or school the TLX may be lacking. When I test drove the Audi S5 sportback my two boys were comfortable in the back, not sure TLX will be able to pull this off. My 4G TL at times seems tight, not sure two 7 passengers make sense for our household, but with our family buisness the extra space of the MDX may serve me well and I'm in love with the interior. Also it may be cheaper than purchasing a pickup and paying for two car insurances will be weighing my options over the next few months, wish Acura would hurry up on information for the Type S models.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:24 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
These guys really nailed it for me, by helping explain what I already knew was wrong with the TLX. It just never looked "right" from all the angles that I viewed of it sitting at a dealer. I just said to myself,
"something's off...not right"...it looks strange. These guys helped really put my gut feelings and observations in to perfect perspective. In other words...they helped prove what I was seeing and feeling.
It's why I pulled away from even the Type S, and I pick up my new '21 Mustang in a week. My 12th one. I've had TLX's..prev. Gen. Like my A-Spec. For me, they ruined.it...although the driving
dynamics and interior are great. There is a reason why they are not flying off the lots. Just the opposite. They are collecting dust. Sad really. He was right about the roof line extension and give up
some trunk for a better back seat spacing. Crazy to have a car this size outside, but, so little space inside. How did Acura screw this up??
The following 3 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
04WDPSeDaN (01-24-2021), ESHBG (01-24-2021), pyrodan007 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I pick up my new '21 Mustang in a week. My 12th one.
Congratulations. Which one ? (trim model, engine, and tranny)

I had a used Mustang-II back in the 80's (but it wasn't very good). I traded it for my first Celica.
My two brothers each had one of the better ones (but models before the recent platform change). One was a G3 80-something. My youngest brother had a G5 around 2012 with a manual-tranny.

My neighbor has a G5 convertible ... California Special I think they call it.

I thought it was a good-pick for the recent Knight-Rider TV-series remake. Supposedly, they built one that was truly radio-remote-controlled. Not bad for back then.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-23-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:29 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Congratulations. Which one ? (trim model, engine, and tranny)

I had a used Mustang-II back in the 80's (but it wasn't very good). I traded it for my first Celica.
My two brothers each had one of the better ones (but models before the recent platform change). One was a G3 80-something. My youngest brother had a G5 around 2012 with a manual-tranny.

My neighbor has a G5 convertible ... California Special I think they call it.

I thought it was a good-pick for the recent Knight-Rider TV-series remake. Supposedly, they built one that was truly radio-remote-controlled. Not bad for back then.
It's a GT Prem, 401A Package, auto trans, Perf. Pack 1, and then, I checked off every box on the order sheet. I'll get Magneride adj. susp, 3:55 rear gears, B&O Sound system,
forged 5 spoke Nickel Luster wheels, Active Exh, and just loaded with interior comforts and tech, etc. The most optioned Mustang out of the 12. White/.red int.
I will trade my '19 GT Prem, with the Cal. Special package, with VERY low miles. Still looks new and fresh. But, I like cars, so always looking for the next one.

I had 4 Fox body Mustangs. All bought new. '89 GT, '89 Saleen SSC (rare), and 2 '91 GT's...one auto and the other 5 speed stick.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 01-24-2021 at 01:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
04WDPSeDaN (01-24-2021), ELIN (01-24-2021), Tesla1856 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 07:00 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
It's a GT Prem, 401A Package, auto trans, Perf. Pack 1, and then, I checked off every box on the order sheet. I'll get Magneride adj. susp, 3:55 rear gears, B&O Sound system,
forged 5 spoke Nickel Luster wheels, Active Exh, and just loaded with interior comforts and tech, etc. The most optioned Mustang out of the 12. White/.red int.
I will trade my '19 GT Prem, with the Cal. Special package, with VERY low miles. Still looks new and fresh. But, I like cars, so always looking for the next one.

I had 4 Fox body Mustangs. All bought new. '89 GT, '89 Saleen SSC (rare), and 2 '91 GT's...one auto and the other 5 speed stick.
Congratulations on the Stang! Post some pictures and definitely a sound clip when you get it.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
a35tl (01-24-2021), Flapjackura (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:02 AM
Racer

Fun review - made my teeth hurt a bit at times, though. "I like sport mode!" LOL. Don't we all?
Old 01-24-2021, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Daughter just dropped an "Oh By The Way" on me. When I get a chance can I get her a price for a 2121 BMW Pig Snout M4 6MT Convertible. Thought I had set a good example for her getting the Z4 & not the 2021 440 Coupe. Kids you never know what they will do.

IMHO car has great side, back, interior, dash - Front not so much. Looking at a very dark metallic gray which should hide it somewhat. Told her the configurator should be out in late Feb for cars being ordered around March/April with June delivery, (Virus dependent). Had to break the bad news to her that if she goes manual transmission she has to get the base 473 horsepower engine in the regular models as the 503 horsepower Competition Series are 8ZF only.

Ordering looks like its about the same time cycle as my 2018 440 which was also a generation change. Europe is have a lot of new virus issues so who knows.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:07 PM
Drifting

These guys really nailed it for me, by helping explain what I already knew was wrong with the TLX. It just never looked "right" from all the angles that I viewed of it sitting at a dealer. I just said to myself,
"something's off...not right"...it looks strange. These guys helped really put my gut feelings and observations in to perfect perspective. In other words...they helped prove what I was seeing and feeling.
It's why I pulled away from even the Type S, and I pick up my new '21 Mustang in a week. My 12th one. I've had TLX's..prev. Gen. Like my A-Spec. For me, they ruined.it...although the driving
dynamics and interior are great. There is a reason why they are not flying off the lots. Just the opposite. They are collecting dust. Sad really. He was right about the roof line extension and give up
some trunk for a better back seat spacing. Crazy to have a car this size outside, but, so little space inside. How did Acura screw this up??
Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.

All kidding aside, I found that video review to lack a lot of objectivity. The first driver used up a third of his time letting everyone know how damn tall he is. We get it: tall folks may not have a lot of fun in this TLX. Can we fill the time with more constructive criticism?

Congrats on the Stang! Try to convince others that if they don't like the look of the current 2.0, the Type S is not going to change their mind all of a sudden.
Flapjackura (01-25-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Daughter just dropped an "Oh By The Way" on me. When I get a chance can I get her a price for a 2121 BMW Pig Snout M4 6MT Convertible. Thought I had set a good example for her getting the Z4 & not the 2021 440 Coupe. Kids you never know what they will do.

IMHO car has great side, back, interior, dash - Front not so much. Looking at a very dark metallic gray which should hide it somewhat. Told her the configurator should be out in late Feb for cars being ordered around March/April with June delivery, (Virus dependent). Had to break the bad news to her that if she goes manual transmission she has to get the base 473 horsepower engine in the regular models as the 503 horsepower Competition Series are 8ZF only.

Ordering looks like its about the same time cycle as my 2018 440 which was also a generation change. Europe is have a lot of new virus issues so who knows.
Better a "butterface" car than a "butterface" spouse/significant other. Or was it the other way around?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
I get 90% of the time I'm in the car by myself. But the 10% of the time when I need to take kids to sports or school the TLX may be lacking. When I test drove the Audi S5 sportback my two boys were comfortable in the back, not sure TLX will be able to pull this off. My 4G TL at times seems tight, not sure two 7 passengers make sense for our household, but with our family buisness the extra space of the MDX may serve me well and I'm in love with the interior. Also it may be cheaper than purchasing a pickup and paying for two car insurances will be weighing my options over the next few months, wish Acura would hurry up on information for the Type S models.
Unless your kids are in HS, I can't imagine them complaining about the backseat much. In a pinch, I know my kids won't be complaining sitting in the back. Our family car is a big 'ol SUV with less to complain about.

On paper, the TLX rear legroom is 34.9" vs 35.1" in the back of an S5. That's "the same" in my book.
BEAR-AvHistory (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey @ESHBG , the reviewers in this video mentioned the driver-seating/B-Pillar issue you brought up a while back (apologies if I'm mistaken and it was someone else) ...

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**