2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Again, most people are not going to care what you or others think Acura promised you. I believe the reviewer above was quite clear that this car is equal or exceeds the Audi 4 or the BMW 330 in many aspects. If its not a sport sedan, then neither are those cars, but as I suggested in a previous post, who cares?? I think his reference to "tired old enthusiast arguments" was interesting. I remember some of the ridiculous posts about catatrophic delays and a pile of other shit that was just silly. Newsflash, the 2.0 turbo was never going to be the car for the "enthisiasts" who measure a car by how fast it gets off the line. That is going to be the Type S, and I thought that was always clear.
That's what I was trying to capture in my consumer review and owner's thread review. If you are a true "enthusiast", you're waiting for Type S anyway. No need to knock the car that satisfies majority of buyers who may not even know what RPM stands for!
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-09-2020), mapleloaf (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
That's what I was trying to capture in my consumer review and owner's thread review. If you are a true "enthusiast", you're waiting for Type S anyway. No need to knock the car that satisfies majority of buyers who may not even know what RPM stands for!
What's the % of enthusiasts? lol!

Old 12-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I'm going to have to disagree about commercials not mattering. When it comes to the content marketing matrix, car commercials largely fall into quadrant 1 and 2 because they seek to elicit an emotional response and prime the consumer. That sets up potential buyers to have a particular expectation for the product they're buying, and when they discover that the product does in fact meet said expectations, their likelihood to convert increases. They're more likely to believe other things the company says about the product because credibility has been established, and there's a positive response when expectations are met. There's been tons of studies that have shown that expectation setting plays a huge role in consumer's purchasing decisions. Take a random group of people, show them content that accurately depicts the products strong points, take another random group of people, show them content that doesn't accurately depict the products strong points, then let both groups experience the product. People in group 1 end up being more likely to enjoy and want to purchase the product than people in group 2 because psychologically having pre-existing notions confirmed is more rewarding and comfortable.
There is certainly some truth to what you have said, but I would suggest that these days many people do their own research on the internet before they ever hit a dealership. I have only seen 2 TLX ads online, but I have read /watched probably 25 reviews that along with my own test drives have formed my views of the car.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
There is certainly some truth to what you have said, but I would suggest that these days many people do their own research on the internet before they ever hit a dealership. I have only seen 2 TLX ads online, but I have read /watched probably 25 reviews that along with my own test drives have formed my views of the car.
You and I are not the prototypical consumer. The fact that we're even here on this forum puts us in a very niche and narrow group. Half of all buyers only test drive one or no cars before making their purchase. If they're not going to even test drive the car, do you think they're actually going to do any research or compare it to the competition? 1 out of every 6 buyers didn't even bother test driving at all.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...255302891.html.

Last edited by fiatlux; 12-07-2020 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
David Berk (01-28-2021)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
What's the % of enthusiasts? lol!
I'd guess enthusiasts make up about 5-10% of the population at most. They want the nearest tenth of a second and watch sites like this like a hawk:

https://www.zeroto60times.com/
Old 12-07-2020, 12:39 PM
AZ Community Team

I'd guess enthusiasts make up about 5-10% of the population at most. They want the nearest tenth of a second and watch sites like this like a hawk:

https://www.zeroto60times.com/
Thanks for sharing but 10% seems very high to me. 5% seems more reasonable. But again, it may worth for larger companies but not Acura and Infiniti. Their target market is way too small to follow BMW or MB. Look at Infiniti actually, they came up to beat the Germans: 400HP, RWD, this and that! Results: close to bankruptcies and shutdown major markets like Europe and Australia. No matter what you make, it has to make sense. it has to bring profit....

Only one thing, I have to agree with some members here. Acura exaggerates the performance factor. Sure the TLX is a performance oriented luxury car but it's not C63splus. Their messaging is a bit misleading. They have to stay realistic. My brother always tells me, f**k advertising, all BS. Go check it yourself. He says it for everything not just cars.
ELIN (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:01 PM
Drifting

finally SG review is here i haven't watched it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwGf...5eBKC4iAYaGDlI
"Lack of whimsicalness..."

Luckily that dude was not in the driver's seat. Mark ripped him a new one after that statement!

This is my first ever view of a SG Youtube review and Mark doesn't suffer fools.
David Berk (01-28-2021)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Drifting

Some great snips from the YouTube comments section:

"Jack: Well I think this car isn't as fun as other cars
Goose: So you have chosen... death."

"The flipped seatbelt is a choice on the part of the filmmaker. It's a visual cue that depicts the flipped perspective on this car's merits taken by Jack compared to Mark. As an improperly used piece of safety equipment, it also foreshadows Jack's death in the season finale. Please never question these artists again."

"It was raining this morning, then I got my Savage Geese notification, and suddenly my car was paid off and I finally understood algebra. #GodsPlan"
Old 12-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Thanks for sharing but 10% seems very high to me. 5% seems more reasonable. But again, it may worth for larger companies but not Acura and Infiniti. Their target market is way too small to follow BMW or MB. Look at Infiniti actually, they came up to beat the Germans: 400HP, RWD, this and that! Results: close to bankruptcies and shutdown major markets like Europe and Australia. No matter what you make, it has to make sense. it has to bring profit....

Only one thing, I have to agree with some members here. Acura exaggerates the performance factor. Sure the TLX is a performance oriented luxury car but it's not C63splus. Their messaging is a bit misleading. They have to stay realistic. My brother always tells me, f**k advertising, all BS. Go check it yourself. He says it for everything not just cars.
Its a case of you can claim any horsepower number you want. But you need to put the muscle where your advertising is. The Red 400 failed to do that. The 400BHP car gets its butt kicked by the 382BHP & 385BHP cars. Whats really a killer for the Red 400 is if you go back to the last generation 320BHP BMW @ 4.2 to 60 it is also quicker than the current Red 400. Which BTW is a pretty nice car again with poor marketing.

Car & Driver said this about the 2020 Red 400.

In our tests, the Q50 Red Sport 400 raced from zero to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds. Other models in this segment offer quicker acceleration. For example, a BMW M340i we tested made the sprint in 3.8 seconds and a Mercedes-AMG C43 4Matic covered that stretch in 4.1 seconds.

Two things the performance buyer segment may be small but it influences what a cars overall "image" is. The 4 cylinder 330 will not run with the 6 cylinder M340 but its part of the family image. Second the BS adds fail where the rubber meets the road test & even many non performance buyers will notice that. It also sucks when the real performance cars actually turn in very good mileage numbers against the sheep.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-07-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Tony Pac (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Quick question guys: how is the BMW and MB AWD? I know Audi has one of the best AWDs out there. Their Quarttaro is well known and considered the best.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 12-07-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Quick questions guys: how is the BMW and MB AWD? I know Audi has one of the best AWDs out there. Their Quarttaro is well known and considered the best.
I had Quattro in my A6 for 3 years.

I've had (and currently have) MB 4MATIC since 2011.

I had an AWD MDX for nearly 3 years.

They all drive about the same and not once have I ever said "this AWD implementation feels a lot more secure than the others!" I drive in NJ with rain and bad snow on occasion and there are stretches of road that are quite hilly.

Either I'm no good at judging the different AWD systems or they are all really just good at what they do, which is get out of the way and let folks drive.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

For the upcoming TLX Type-S, it will come with super high performance all season tire, with the 20" Y-spoke rim and super high performance summer tire as new car order option.
That Y spoke rim and tire combo is an OPTION. Not the std. wheel and tire combo.
leomio85 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
I had Quattro in my A6 for 3 years.

I've had (and currently have) MB 4MATIC since 2011.

I had an AWD MDX for nearly 3 years.

They all drive about the same and not once have I ever said "this AWD implementation feels a lot more secure than the others!" I drive in NJ with rain and bad snow on occasion and there are stretches of road that are quite hilly.

Either I'm no good at judging the different AWD systems or they are all really just good at what they do, which is get out of the way and let folks drive.
My AWD experience is VW 4Motion, Ford AWD, and SH-AWD, all FWD-biased. They all operate about the same, but I will say I notice a bit more performance in cornering with SH-AWD when you learn how to maintain proper throttle input.
ELIN (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its a case of you can claim any horsepower number you want. But you need to put the muscle where your advertising is. The Red 400 failed to do that. The 400BHP car gets its butt kicked by the 382BHP & 385BHP cars. Whats really a killer for the Red 400 is if you go back to the last generation 320BHP BMW @ 4.2 to 60 it is also quicker than the current Red 400. Which BTW is a pretty nice car again with poor marketing.

Car & Driver said this about the 2020 Red 400.

In our tests, the Q50 Red Sport 400 raced from zero to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds. Other models in this segment offer quicker acceleration. For example, a BMW M340i we tested made the sprint in 3.8 seconds and a Mercedes-AMG C43 4Matic covered that stretch in 4.1 seconds.

Two things the performance buyer segment may be small but it influences what a cars overall "image" is. The 4 cylinder 330 will not run with the 6 cylinder M340 but its part of the family image. Second the BS adds fail where the rubber meets the road test & even many non performance buyers will notice that. It also sucks when the real performance cars actually turn in very good mileage numbers against the sheep.
As someone who came out of a Red Sport and now in an M340i, the issues are more than just the speed the Red Sport is a quick car but the interior is dated beyond belief. It just doesn't compare for a car with an MSRP as high as the BMW even though they discount them heavily .It also has a different feel, it feels cheap in comparison to the BMW. If they had come out guns blazing like they did the Original G35's which had the Germans Scrambling this car would have been a hit. They totally dropped the ball.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Racer

SG nailed the review....Mark wasn't shy at all. His comments about the enthusiasts, BMW 3 series and G70. As I mentioned earlier, people will say SG's account was hacked. LMAO.

Pretty much everyone was saying: " I am waiting for SG review." And here you go...it's here.
I must say, I'm a bit shocked. I thought for sure Mark would be more critical vs. so impressed. I guess I have to appreciate his point of view, just never thought he would sound like a fanboy lol.
Neoforever (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Carnage719
I must say, I'm a bit shocked. I thought for sure Mark would be more critical vs. so impressed. I guess I have to appreciate his point of view, just never thought he would sound like a fanboy lol.
I'm not that surprised. I did think the car itself is really nice, and I suppose if you get one that doesn't have the weird laggy transmission when downshifting, it drives as well as you can expect from a car in this segment. He did touch on how useless the backseats are, but practicality as never been a huge focus for his reviews. Now, if he had gotten the same car the TSP boys got, I'd be shocked if he didn't get himself permanently blackballed by Honda/Acura.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Racer

I'm not that surprised. I did think the car itself is really nice, and I suppose if you get one that doesn't have the weird laggy transmission when downshifting, it drives as well as you can expect from a car in this segment. He did touch on how useless the backseats are, but practicality as never been a huge focus for his reviews. Now, if he had gotten the same car the TSP boys got, I'd be shocked if he didn't get himself permanently blackballed by Honda/Acura.
I guess the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There's just some parts I can't get past.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kense
As someone who came out of a Red Sport and now in an M340i, the issues are more than just the speed the Red Sport is a quick car but the interior is dated beyond belief. It just doesn't compare for a car with an MSRP as high as the BMW even though they discount them heavily .It also has a different feel, it feels cheap in comparison to the BMW. If they had come out guns blazing like they did the Original G35's which had the Germans Scrambling this car would have been a hit. They totally dropped the ball.
When it first came out the G35 got a lot of magazine ink "Is this the 3 series killer?", never killed much of anything but is was good copy to sell magazines. The G35 had its hands full with my summer tired TL 6MT. The Germans were always a half step ahead of the Asian brands. They put out a good car then boosted it with the mid cycle upgrades 3 years in, then 3 years later it was a new model. Wash, dry & repeat.

The magazines could have easily run all the same stories when the G37 hit the market.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-07-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Quick question guys: how is the BMW and MB AWD? I know Audi has one of the best AWDs out there. Their Quarttaro is well known and considered the best.
If you are asking me, not a 4X4 fan in passenger or sports cars. Do have 4X4 in my trucks but they are true 4X4 with High & Low range systems. Recognize that at some point 4X4 will be in all cars.

FWIW or not. A few random thoughts. In the Army one of my "extra" jobs was testing & issuing US military drivers licenses & have a lot of 4X4, 6X6 & track vehicle experience. Also drove a 427/435hp Stingray 4MT from the Jersey Shore to Wall St. Got caught in any number of snow storms over 20 years but managed pretty well with RWD. Also ran a 280ZX 5MT & some sedan RWD AT's during that time. Think up north 4X4 can be a good thing for many drivers but not really necessary in the south.

In sports cars don't think you need it till the engine is over powering the suspension. My COBRA is traction limited & 4X4 would help it but take away a lot of the fun.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Best TLX review by far by someone who understands the nature and heritage of the SH-AWD Acura TL/TLX. This 2021 TLX SH-AWD is just a set of tires and a few more inches of space in back from greatness. Well done Acura, looking forward to getting my next SH-AWD vehicle in 2021.
CheeseyPoofs McNut (12-11-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Savage Geese and most other YouTube reviewers can’t be taken seriously. They never go to the trouble of evaluating what an actual buyer goes through. All they do is drive the car for a few hours, maybe a day or two.

Try building the car the way a buyer of a ~$50,000 car would, where you’d want the best looks paired with the best features. Oh, you can’t do that with the TLX??

It’s still a joke.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Savage Geese and most other YouTube reviewers can’t be taken seriously. They never go to the trouble of evaluating what an actual buyer goes through. All they do is drive the car for a few hours, maybe a day or two.

Try building the car the way a buyer of a ~$50,000 car would, where you’d want the best looks paired with the best features. Oh, you can’t do that with the TLX??

It’s still a joke.
It is strange that often they don't even open the roof or lock/un-lock it (and show the mirrors folding).
Maybe they could even show the more-advanced features (like Super-Cruise , Rear Cross-Traffic, and Traffic-Sign Recognition). Any mitigations really.

Even Raiti . His Audi reviews are good, but the test-drive is mainly him racing around. I want to see that also, but still.

EDIT: Maybe show the RGB Ambient lighting? Remote-Start. Things unique to the model.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 12-07-2020 at 08:57 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Thx for posting SG review, been waiting for it. As usual SG reviews, informative in not only driving impressions but technical features and content of the car. Pretty cool front engine cradle appears to be die-cast aluminum.
The driveshaft also does not have "U" joints, some sort of angular coupler. SG, one of the best YouTube auto reviewers out there along with AoA.
Jrvtecaccord (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 05:47 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Thx for posting SG review, been waiting for it. As usual SG reviews, informative in not only driving impressions but technical features and content of the car. Pretty cool front engine cradle appears to be die-cast aluminum.
The driveshaft also does not have "U" joints, some sort of angular coupler. SG, one of the best YouTube auto reviewers out there along with AoA.
Yeah, SavageGeese and Alex-on-Autos are the two most comprehensive reviewers on YouTube, and they both seemed to like the TLX. The only overtly negative review was from TheStraightPipes, but they were more concerned about the infotainment not voice-recognizing "Yakub W" or the Parking Pawl when you don't use the e-brake.
dio (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 05:59 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Excellent review from SavageGeese thorough and insightful.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
^^^ realized after I wrote about the driveshaft, that's the same kind of angle coupling that's been used on Honda's since the CR-V of the late 90's.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-08-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
When it first came out the G35 got a lot of magazine ink "Is this the 3 series killer?", never killed much of anything but is was good copy to sell magazines. The G35 had its hands full with my summer tired TL 6MT. The Germans were always a half step ahead of the Asian brands. They put out a good car then boosted it with the mid cycle upgrades 3 years in, then 3 years later it was a new model. Wash, dry & repeat.

The magazines could have easily run all the same stories when the G37 hit the market.
At the time wasn't the 6 Speed G35 faster than anything they had in it's class? I can't remember. Not that it mattered because the Germans like you said area always a step ahead with the next model and will go crazy and put out something to blow away everyone else in order to remain on top. The G37 wasn't ground breaking and was less sporty looking, ugly and round. The G35 Coupe however was one of the best looking cars out at the time.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Thanks to the speedometer that was projecting on the HUD in SG's review, I clocked his Advance at 6.2 sec. I did this 3 times and not once did it even approach 6.5 sec, let alone the 7 sec that Jack mentioned.

You guys can replicate this yourselves at the 15:46 mark in the video.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Another AoA review on the TLX

Old 12-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Another AoA review on the TLX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeGhHpoqBAw
A fair review.

Can someone explain to me what "premium gadgets" I'm missing by not buying German if I had the TLX Advance?
Old 12-08-2020, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver

It’s still a joke.
Alex on Autos might be more your alley. He does lot more "practical" side of things and gives info on things like leg room/headroom and does a really nice summary comparison at the end for similar vehicle competitors.

Savagegeese is not just for pure buying decisions....he's also entertianing and gets into the technical aspects for some of the higher level enthusiast cars.

Looks like you're not a fan of the TLX at all. Looks - subjective, obviously. Features? You'll have to decide if its worth it to go for the Germans. I thought SG covered that pretty well...and he pointed out the issue with the infotainment system
Old 12-08-2020, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

Can someone explain to me what "premium gadgets" I'm missing by not buying German if I had the TLX Advance?
2021 TLX Advance with SH-AWD is a specific car.
To answer your question, you would have to mention some other specific German car (and specify trim and any added ala-carte options).
Old 12-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
2021 TLX Advance with SH-AWD is a specific car.
To answer your question, you would have to mention some other specific German car (and specify trim and any added ala-carte options).
“Premium gadgets” was mentioned during comparison of the TLX against C class, 3 series, and A4. Am I the only one confused from AoA’s final review?
Old 12-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

A fair review.

Off the top of my head:
Fully digital dash
Memory seats for the passenger
Pano sunroof
Power trunk
Wireless carplay

Hardware wise, it's not that extensive, but the lack of a digital dash really hurts. It's not just a matter of simply digital vs analog gauges; a digital dash opens up a bevy of other options and capabilities in terms of customizability, additional information, etc.
ELIN (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Off the top of my head:
Fully digital dash
Pano sunroof
Power trunk
Wireless carplay

Hardware wise, it's not that extensive, but the lack of a digital dash really hurts. It's not just a matter of simply digital vs analog gauges; a digital dash opens up a bevy of other options and capabilities in terms of customizability, additional information, etc.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2020, 02:02 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/2022-mdx

Click the link, and then click on the little number that says 116 and tell me what it says.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Racer

Off the top of my head:
Fully digital dash
Pano sunroof
Power trunk
Wireless carplay

Including more electronic processor glitches and failures. What's so bad about digital/analog speedo displays?
David Berk (01-28-2021)
Old 12-08-2020, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Including more electronic processor glitches and failures. What's so bad about digital/analog speedo displays?
Well, if you look at it from that perspective, with the TLX's mix of digital and analog, failure rate is probably higher because either the analog mechanical pieces could fail, or the digital screen could fail. At least with full digital, there's no mechanical component to fail.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/2022-mdx

Click the link, and then click on the little number that says 116 and tell me what it says.
“Subject to change”. Not something you want to see for the HP/torque data...

Was this the same note on the TLX Type S?

Edit: I just checked. It’s the same note.

Last edited by ELIN; 12-08-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Well, if you look at it from that perspective, with the TLX's mix of digital and analog, failure rate is probably higher because either the analog mechanical pieces could fail, or the digital screen could fail. At least with full digital, there's no mechanical component to fail.
Or you could look at it from a redundancy point of view. At my workplace bathroom, there are 2 sinks: one with automatic sensor and the other with conventional lever. I can’t remember how often that automatic sensor one has failed. You better believe we were thankful for the conventional lever one, especially during COVID!
David Berk (01-28-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**