2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow MotorMouth

The following 4 users liked this post by TSX69:
a35tl (10-26-2020), florissant (10-24-2020), Meyer (10-26-2020), Tony Pac (10-26-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
This is it. 😁

The following 5 users liked this post by Honda430:
djhtsx (10-24-2020), florissant (10-24-2020), mapleloaf (10-24-2020), ostrich (10-25-2020), Tony Pac (10-26-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 06:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Lol....this guy doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.
The following users liked this post:
Neoforever (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 08:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
In before the "Great review!" from AcuraPro Tony
Old 10-24-2020, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
Very thorough view from someone who does know what they are talking about.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Best to not respond to negative or positive opinions expressed here by folks with no actual experience with the car. It becomes a pointless exercise, one that is repeated in many types of forums.
I took a break from the 2G TLX forum for a few weeks since a few of hyperbole comments got to be a little much. yeah unfortunately repeated all the time across other forums and sites.

To me the extremely subjective term "sport sedan" where some were ranting and raving the 2G was not a sports sedan as if there was some metric or measurement or definitive criteria that could attest whether it is.

Reminds me of the early 80's story of Porsche's 956 endurance race car being used as a mule to test the Porsche/TAG Formula 1 racing twin turbo V6 for the McLaren racing team. The engine had been under design and development for ~2 years and the McLaren race car MP4/2 chassis was not ready yet so Porsche fitted the engine into one of their LeMans winning 956 to allow McLaren drivers Niki Lauda and John Watson to test the motor at Porsche's Weissach test track. After driving the car at length, the Porsche engineers and management were eager to find out how the motor was and what they thought of Porsche's premier "race car". Mind you both drivers were used to their regular ~1300lb open wheel F1 cars, not a 1900lb endurance racer. Unvarnished Watson described the 956 as sluggish and lethargic, Lauda said it drove "like a truck", the Porsche chief engine designer (Hans Mezger) told the other Porsche engineers not to ask the drivers opinion of their beloved 956, he knew their idea of a "race car" was not a 956. Below, Lauda in the 956 "truck" at Weissach.

FWIW, just saw Mezger passed away this summer. He lead the design of so many famous Porsche engines (911, 917, 956/962, and their F1 racing engine which won three straight WDC in the 80's).

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/a328...ps-dies-at-90/

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Thanks. Just saw this. I watched the one where he and his wife were sitting in front seats (not my kind of review), but I didn't know he did this one also.

This one was a much better review. We seem to have similar curiosities, interests, wants.

So, if I do a second test drive, I will be sure to press transmission Drive button twice to get to Sport Mode. I mistakenly thought that was only for Paddle-Shifters (and I was really more interested in testing 10-AT). There is so many features to test in a short period of time in a single test-drive (at least when the wife is along). But I'm sure you married guys know how important "WAF" is.

Since this is just an "electronic switch" I wonder why it is not a setting on Individual-Mode like the Engine and others?
I didn't know what WAF was so urban dictionary

At first I thought Matt's video's were kinda hooky but have come to appreciate them over time. He tends to bridge the Alex on Auto's practical to SavageGeese performance video reviews.
He gets into the performance aspects but also really dives into the everyday operation of the car as well.

Also amused by Beth's biggest pet peeve is lack of height adjustment and sitting too high in a vehicle.

Certainly one of the most thorough reviews I have seen, particularly given the follow-up after a week of use. Well worth the time if you are interested in this car.
+1, yeah Matt's reviews of all vehicles keep getting better and better. Does not appear to have a bias, and points out the good and bad aspects of all cars he reviews.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-25-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidh2o
Acura has done well enough, middling with the car lineup and advancing their SUV lines. I was hoping the new team in charge would bring back the TL/TSX magic but I feel like the ILX and TLX are missing the mark in terms of Price vs size/performance/quality, that’s what initially attracted me to, and why I fell in love with the TSX.

TLX (4-cyl) was alright, she checked the boxes but wasn’t one I’d bring home to mom and dad. I still like to keep tabs on Acura though.

And yes, I think when posters tend to inject overall negativity without much in the way of substantial discussion it can ruin the spirit of posting. Part of the fun is in sharing experiences together. Not saying critical discussion cannot take place but there’s a noticeable difference between that and bitterness/spite. I won’t say that’s what drives your posting, but you’re one of a handful whose posts have stood out (does Stew still post?).
Do I respond to every post with a you're wrong message like a specific member here? You're making it sound that I'm the only one with negative messages. Many members have left, I'm certainly not to blame. You have something to say, go ahead.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Best to not respond to negative or positive opinions expressed here by folks with no actual experience with the car. It becomes a pointless exercise, one that is repeated in many types of forums.
That's perfectly fine. You respond, I respond. Balance.
Same for members who don't own A4's, can't have a 100% correct opinion other. Test drive is not enough.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
That's perfectly fine. You respond, I respond. Balance.
Same for members who don't own A4's, can't have a 100% correct opinion other. Test drive is not enough.
Agreed. The difference is that I don't feel the need to be over the top critical of cars I don't own. In fact I have never criticized the other luxury brand cars I have driven because they are all good to excellent vehicles. I have, however, pointed out where statements about cerain features being superior to Acura's equivalent features are sometimes simply not factual, based upon my own obsrvations and test drives.
I think that your bias is based upon an unfortunate experience with the 2015 TLX, but that was over 5 years ago. It's time to let that go, don't you think?

The one area that I again want to emphasize, that you and others, (who happen to fall into a certain age group,) have a tendency to overuse hyperbole in describing your own vehicle and disparaging others. It is entirely possible and in fact likely, that while you prefer your A4, the 2021 Acura TLX is still a good vehicle....or vice versa. I see this throughout social media, where people are less and less capable or interested in expressing nuanced opinions.

BTW, I would strongly consider a Technic trim A4 for my next vehicle, IF I could get it close to the lease cost of a loaded TLX, but where I live, that isn't possible (while factoring in the A+ service I get from my dealer). But as I have a great monthly payment now for a car I really enjoy, that decision is going to wait.

Cheers.
The following 3 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (10-25-2020), amcobra (10-27-2020), pyrodan007 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Legend17

Old 10-25-2020, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Agreed. The difference is that I don't feel the need to be over the top critical of cars I don't own. In fact I have never criticized the other luxury brand cars I have driven because they are all good to excellent vehicles. I have, however, pointed out where statements about cerain features being superior to Acura's equivalent features are sometimes simply not factual, based upon my own obsrvations and test drives.
I think that your bias is based upon an unfortunate experience with the 2015 TLX, but that was over 5 years ago. It's time to let that go, don't you think?

The one area that I again want to emphasize, that you and others, (who happen to fall into a certain age group,) have a tendency to overuse hyperbole in describing your own vehicle and disparaging others. It is entirely possible and in fact likely, that while you prefer your A4, the 2021 Acura TLX is still a good vehicle....or vice versa. I see this throughout social media, where people are less and less capable or interested in expressing nuanced opinions.

BTW, I would strongly consider a Technic trim A4 for my next vehicle, IF I could get it close to the lease cost of a loaded TLX, but where I live, that isn't possible (while factoring in the A+ service I get from my dealer). But as I have a great monthly payment now for a car I really enjoy, that decision is going to wait.

Cheers.
I can agree to that, like I said all this started just because of my comments on the latest video review. If negative emphasis should be limited, so should over the top positivity.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
mapleloaf (10-25-2020), Shadow2056 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 11:33 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
I can agree to that, like I said all this started just because of my comments on the latest video review. If negative emphasis should be limited, so should over the top positivity.
First world problems. It's a forum where opinions are stated and expressed. If someone posts something egregious, they'll be corrected.

If you're not attacking anyone, no harm, no foul.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-25-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Ludepower (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Fake review for sure Acura paid them to say this is a great car. People should come and hear it from some members here who really know about the new TLX hahahaha! Also, Best Review is by our Canadian folks, TSP. Watch that one before buying a TLX!
Old 10-26-2020, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Fake review for sure Acura paid them to say this is a great car. People should come and hear it from some members here who really know about the new TLX hahahaha! Also, Best Review is by our Canadian folks, TSP. Watch that one before buying a TLX!
Not sure if you're being sarcastic here. TheStraightPipes was probably the worst review of the year. Way too many trivial complaints. Instead of talking about the ELS 3D sound, they were hung-up on Apple Carplay not voice-recognizing "Yakub W", like that's what their audience is really interested in. Or they criticized how much the car moved when you put it in park without using the e-brake. Then when they felt the torque-vectoring pull them around the corner, they be like "ewww it feels wormy". But their most legitimate complaint was the laggy transmission, I give them that, although it was with the car in normal mode and the transmission in drive (as opposed to sport). And they were raving about the same transmission, and AWD in their RDX review.
To put it in perspective, Yuri from TSP, when referring to the BMW 2-series Gran Coupe (which has a very FWD Kia or Ford Fiesta sedan profile), said it looks "very BMW-like" from the side, Lol. Also that car has some of the largest measurable turbo-lag in Car & Driver history, and TSP said there was little-to-no lag. You can't count on the TSP guys to be objective or comprehensive, Yuri especially.

Forgive me if you were being sarcastic!
Tony Pac (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by bilirubin
Not sure if you're being sarcastic here. TheStraightPipes was probably the worst review of the year. Way too many trivial complaints. Instead of talking about the ELS 3D sound, they were hung-up on Apple Carplay not voice-recognizing "Yakub W", like that's what their audience is really interested in. Or they criticized how much the car moved when you put it in park without using the e-brake. Then when they felt the torque-vectoring pull them around the corner, they be like "ewww it feels wormy". But their most legitimate complaint was the laggy transmission, I give them that, although it was with the car in normal mode and the transmission in drive (as opposed to sport). And they were raving about the same transmission, and AWD in their RDX review.
To put it in perspective, Yuri from TSP, when referring to the BMW 2-series Gran Coupe (which has a very FWD Kia or Ford Fiesta sedan profile), said it looks "very BMW-like" from the side, Lol. Also that car has some of the largest measurable turbo-lag in Car & Driver history, and TSP said there was little-to-no lag. You can't count on the TSP guys to be objective or comprehensive, Yuri especially.

Forgive me if you were being sarcastic!
No problem at all. yes I was VERY sarcastic. I have been watching TSP reviews for a while and I am huge fan of those guys. But not sure what happened, they royally screwed up the TLX review. They did not give a proper review. They could have dislike things but they were just trying to be funny and critical without any valid reasons. That said, it's completely fine. There at at least 10-15 legit reviews out there and it's fine to have a one bad one
In this particular review, Andrea and Zack completely disliked the touchpad and that's fine. But they also pointed some good stuff about the car. We all know that there is no perfect car in this price range. Unless you are paying $120K+ and getting a Macan Turbo.

The reason I was sarcastic: we have a few members here who "love" Acura so much that they comment on every single thread to point out how bad Acura is, why? coz they want Acura to become better And the funny thing? They are not even interested to buy one since it's either too big, or too small or slow, or no digital gauges, I mean you just name it. They are simply not interested in this brand or model. But yet they want to bring to your and my attention that the new TLX is not good.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
amcobra (10-27-2020), bilirubin (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Until Acura allows customers to have all the best features and the best performance and the sportiest looks for the TLX all at the same time, it remains a joke of a brand. There are a lot of people who can easily afford to pay for such a car, but not offering such a car is making it hard not to point and laugh.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
04WDPSeDaN (10-28-2020), KeithL (10-26-2020), pyrodan007 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Racer

The reason I was sarcastic: we have a few members here who "love" Acura so much that they comment on every single thread to point out how bad Acura is, why? coz they want Acura to become better And the funny thing? They are not even interested to buy one since it's either too big, or too small or slow, or no digital gauges, I mean you just name it. They are simply not interested in this brand or model. But yet they want to bring to your and my attention that the new TLX is not good.
I don't know, but this type of posting happens in all forums I've been on. It's just an open discussion. Why not take it with a grain of salt?
04WDPSeDaN (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 02:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Carnage719
I don't know, but this type of posting happens in all forums I've been on. It's just an open discussion. Why not take it with a grain of salt?
Agreed and you are absolutely right. But don't you think it's exaggerated over here? At the end of the day, we are all here to have some fun and share some knowledge. None of us paid by these brands to come an comment here. Of course, we have brand loyalty but in today's age even brand loyalty isn't big. People go wherever they find a deal and the product meet their needs. That said, I agree with you comment " Why not take it with a grain of salt?"
Old 10-26-2020, 04:17 PM
Racer

Agreed and you are absolutely right. But don't you think it's exaggerated over here? At the end of the day, we are all here to have some fun and share some knowledge. None of us paid by these brands to come an comment here. Of course, we have brand loyalty but in today's age even brand loyalty isn't big. People go wherever they find a deal and the product meet their needs. That said, I agree with you comment " Why not take it with a grain of salt?"
I find all social media to by hyperbolic. I should hate my 1G if I took to heart all of the negative comments.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:00 PM
AZ Community Team

I find all social media to by hyperbolic. I should hate my 1G if I took to heart all of the negative comments.
agreed and well said!
hope you’re enjoying your car. It look great brother.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 PM
Racer

Much appreciated, and yes, I am enjoying it!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The reason I was sarcastic: we have a few members here who "love" Acura so much that they comment on every single thread to point out how bad Acura is, why? coz they want Acura to become better And the funny thing? They are not even interested to buy one since it's either too big, or too small or slow, or no digital gauges, I mean you just name it. They are simply not interested in this brand or model.
The only way you will ever get that is with a closed approved members only forum. All certified owners & anyone who posts anything but happy talk can be voted off the island.

But yet they want to bring to your and my attention that the new TLX is not good.
So what - A good car should be able to stand on its own 4 wheels against critical analysis. Somebody makes a dumb claim about a TLX deficiency it should be rebutted with positive information.

Talk about "its too big its too small" etc, didn't Acura post details about its size vs a number of higher tier cars. Why should that not be a topic for conversation, when the Accord outpoints the TLX-2 in the same categories?

If the TLX-2 only owners group, of which there are only 2 or 3 right now, want to compare the TLX-2 to the other brands & say the other brands or earlier TLX/TL models are not good without rebuttal comments about the other brands or older TLX/TL features or performance.

Sounds like it will be a boring place to go & will die of its own weight.

BTW am pretty sure you are not a TLX-2 owner, do you want to recuse yourself from the forum?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-26-2020 at 07:37 PM.
04WDPSeDaN (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

1. We all know that there is no perfect car in this price range.

2. Unless you are paying $120K+ and getting a Macan Turbo.

3. point out how bad Acura is, why? coz they want Acura to become better

4. they are not even interested to buy one since it's either too big, or too small or slow, or no digital gauges, I mean you just name it.
1. True

2. No, not that much ... $70k should easily be enough for a premium mid-sized sedan.

3. Not bad, just misguided. Not sure how you pick cars, but I compare features, price, etc. A car stays on the "short list" until I find a "deal breaker". We are just sharing our findings with other prospective buyers.

4. No. Most of us ARE interested. Why else would we take time to post, test drive, write-up impressions, discuss Acura, etc.?

Read my review, and also @cjconrad . We both mentioned many things we liked. But if my 16-year old Accord is quicker than a 2020 model (due to engine, transmission or whatever the hell the problem is) ... well, that tends to be a problem.
Floor it - cars goes fast - it's not a lot to ask for a $45k car.
Are we disappointed? Are we venting out frustrations? Hell yes, cause I really wanted to love it and drive my (would be second) new Acura home. But no, I had to leave empty handed and keep looking and waiting.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-26-2020 at 08:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
04WDPSeDaN (10-28-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (10-27-2020), ESHBG (10-27-2020), pyrodan007 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I should hate my 1G if I took to heart all of the negative comments.
Who said anything bad about your car?

I don't see any bio or cars entered for you ... so how do we even know what you have?
Old 10-27-2020, 04:24 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Fox

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/test-drive-the-2021-acura-tlx

Test drive: The 2021 Acura TLX is a blast from the brand's past

The luxury sports sedan is an oddity in a world of SUVs

By Gary Gastelu | Fox Newsclose

2019 Honda Passport test drive

The 2021 Acura TLX is an oddity in today’s new car world because it’s a new car.
Acura

The all-new midsize model doesn’t share its platform with any crossovers or SUVs (at least not yet) and was designed to keep the four-door sports sedan fires burning at Acura, even as buyers continue moving away from the segment.

Acura is discontinuing the full-size RLX, however, which makes the TLX its largest non-utility offering.
Acura

Its wide, low, long and curvy body features a stretched hood that gives it the look of a rear-wheel-drive model despite being built on a front-drive-based platform with a transversely mounted four-cylinder engine.

GET THE FOX NEWS APP BY CLICKING HERE

That engine is a power-dense, turbocharged 2.0-liter rated at 272 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque that comes with a 10-speed automatic transmission at a starting price of $39,025. All-wheel-drive models add $2,000, and a fully loaded TLX Advance like my test car tops out at $49,825.
(Acura)

The TLX is nearly the same size as a Honda Accord but not quite as space-efficient. Its rear-seat legroom and trunk space can’t compete. Of course, the Accord isn’t the competition. The TLX is priced like a compact but matches up with more expensive midsize models like the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes E-Class, while it’s closest in spirit and execution to the Audi A6.
(Acura)

The TLX has a warmer interior design than the Audi, with lots of layers, curves, open-pore wood and soft, stitched materials throughout that’s in lockstep with the brand’s best-selling RDX SUV. That includes sporty, form-fitting seats and an infotainment system controlled by a pad on the center console that Acura is convinced is easier to use and safer than a touchscreen display. I’m still not. It’s a bit fiddly as you dive into menus but is better than Lexus’ take on the same idea that it is finally phasing out in favor of … touchscreen displays.
Acura's True Touchpad interface features a padded rest for your hand that's mounted ahead of a wireless smartphone charging pad. (Acura)

Sometimes you’ve just got to give the people what they want, not what they need. You get that in the way the TLX drives. Over the years, Acura has drifted in and out of its original mission as a maker of premium sporty cars, but this TLX lives up to the Legend. (Pun intended for you Acura fans.)
The TLX features a double-wishbone front suspension and multi-link rear. (Acura)

The TLX doesn’t beg you to drive it like you stole it at first. In fact, if you leave it in comfort mode it exhibits a loping gait, not unlike one of those crossovers it's trying not to be, but the Sport setting is labeled accurately. It firms up the computer-controlled shocks, adds weight to the steering and makes the throttle and transmission more aggressive.
Acura

Take the hint. The TLX loves a good curve and doesn’t mind if you throw it into one with authority. Its double-wishbone front suspension provides sure-footed moves and lets it handle more than you’ll probably ever dish out. The electric-assist brakes bite like vampire bats and the engine has plenty of grunt to a soundtrack that gets better the harder it’s working, bringing to mind the cars Acura races in the 24 Hours of Daytona when it’s at full song.
The clear protective cover for the TLX's sensors is the one blemish on its otherwise stylish exterior design. (Acura)

If music is more your thing, the audio system that comes in top models isn’t too shabby. The 710-watt ELS Studio 3D setup from Panasonic drenches you in sound with 17 speakers, including in the ceiling and twin subwoofers. Additional tech includes a head-up display and a driver-assist package with automatic emergency brakes, lane-keeping assist and adaptive cruise control that make it a great place to commute in, but the TLX is a lot more fun when you have full control.

----------

2021 Acura TLX

Base price: $39,025

As tested: $49,825

Type: 5-passenger, 4-door, all-wheel-drive sedan

Engine: 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder

Power: 272 hp, 282 lb-ft torque

Transmission: 10-speed automatic

MPG: 21 city/29 hwy
The following 6 users liked this post by TSX69:
a35tl (10-27-2020), amcobra (10-27-2020), Legend2TL (10-27-2020), mapleloaf (10-27-2020), NBP04TL4ME (10-28-2020), Tony Pac (10-27-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-27-2020, 09:16 PM
Racer

Who said anything bad about your car?

I don't see any bio or cars entered for you ... so how do we even know what you have?
Not my car specifically, but browse the 1G forum and you'll see what I mean: ZF9 transmission, vibration at cruising speed, VCM, etc.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Not my car specifically, but browse the 1G forum and you'll see what I mean: ZF9 transmission, vibration at cruising speed, VCM, etc.
To be fair, the ZF9 is pretty bad. The criticism heaped on it is very well deserved. I've had quite a few V6 TLX loaners when my I4 was in the shop and every time I drive one I think to myself "yep, I made the right choice not getting the V6".
Old 10-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

I would just be glad that yours doesn't have those problems.

I've also owned cars and machines that worked perfectly fine for me, but others had trouble with theirs ... it's not un-common.

Is your little avatar pic a pic of your Acura ? If so, I think it looks nice (best that I can tell) and sounds like it runs good also. What's not to like ?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:13 AM
Racer

I would just be glad that yours doesn't have those problems.

I've also owned cars and machines that worked perfectly fine for me, but others had trouble with theirs ... it's not un-common.

Is your little avatar pic a pic of your Acura ? If so, I think it looks nice (best that I can tell) and sounds like it runs good also. What's not to like ?
Exactly. While I agree that the 1G TLX V6 would be better served by a different transmission, you learn to work around its limitations.

Here's a full-sized pic in the avatar:

The following 3 users liked this post by Carnage719:
04WDPSeDaN (10-28-2020), Tesla1856 (10-28-2020), Tony Pac (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
To be fair, the ZF9 is pretty bad. The criticism heaped on it is very well deserved. I've had quite a few V6 TLX loaners when my I4 was in the shop and every time I drive one I think to myself "yep, I made the right choice not getting the V6".
See, this is what I mean. No matter what you say, the 1G crumudgeons are lurking in the shadows waiting to jump out and remind you your car sucks!

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-28-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:43 AM
Safety Car

See, this is what I mean. No matter what you say, the 1G crumudgeons are lurking in the shadows waiting to jump out and remind you your car sucks!
I’m just saying, the ZF9 does suck. I’m just calling a spade a spade. What, should we all stick our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn’t?
KeithL (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Exactly. While I agree that the 1G TLX V6 would be better served by a different transmission, you learn to work around its limitations.
That is exactly the issue. Nobody should IMO buy a new car that you have to work around its transmission limitations. There are too many cars both more & less expensive than the TLX who have transmissions that work correctly.

Note Personal experience. 3G 6MT had to be replaced as part of a Honda TSB @ 22,000 miles. Car was sold shortly after it was returned. Every TL/TLX generation since then has has a transmission problem.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Racer

No, just you. To be fair, the 10AT isn't amazing either. Acura/Honda have proved they don't know how to program an AT.

No matter what Acura markets, the TLX isn't a sport sedan. Get over that and you can properly align your expectations with this car's performance. If not, carry on with the broken record...
Old 10-28-2020, 09:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
That is exactly the issue. Nobody should IMO buy a new car that you have to work around its transmission limitations. There are too many cars both more & less expensive than the TLX who have transmissions that work correctly.

Note Personal experience. 3G 6MT had to be replaced as part of a Honda TSB @ 22,000 miles. Car was sold shortly after it was returned. Every TL/TLX generation since then has has a transmission problem.
See the forest for the trees. You guys are so hyper sensitive about anything ZF9. Work around for me means leave it in Sport mode. Not a first world problem.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

See the forest for the trees. You guys are so hyper sensitive about anything ZF9. Work around for me means leave it in Sport mode. Not a first world problem.
Are you suggesting that it’s a third world problem? Seems a bit extreme to put it on the same level as access to clean water and electricity, but glad you agree that it’s a valid problem .
Old 10-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Its not about being hyper or a first world problem its about getting what you paid for, $40,000 odd for a car with a fully functional transmission not one you are forced to adapt to so its performance is acceptable to you.

I drive my car in Sport+ because I want to not because I have to so it will function properly. I drive it in Comfort (softens the suspension, shifts & throttle sensitivity the way I have it programed) when my wife is in the car. Also on the interstates to get 8th gear which is locked out in sport+.

I drive on any given day a 20 year old manual shift truck 4X4 Ranger Hi/Lo 5MT, a light shifting 6MT BMW 135is, a heavy shifting 5MT COBRA, an 8ZF Z4 & a 10GM Suburban. Not one of the requires me to do anything special to get them to perform properly in any range.

Club Car is electric direct drive no transmission.

Believe that as long as people roll over & accept these kinds of issues Honda will keep on keeping on living on its past reputation of a very reliable manufacturer, when those days are now behind them.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-28-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Not starting a discussion on this. But I don't think it's fair to say we're hyper sensitive when the early adopters are the ones responsible for your ZF9 to perform in an acceptable way. It's a terrible transmission no matter how you slice it. With Honda having had trans issues in the past, should never have been approved in the first place.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not starting a discussion on this. But I don't think it's fair to say we're hyper sensitive when the early adopters are the ones responsible for your ZF9 to perform in an acceptable way. It's a terrible transmission no matter how you slice it. With Honda having had trans issues in the past, should never have been approved in the first place.
The crazy thing is that the 10-speed isn’t actually much better. I would go so far as to say it’s actually worse having driven with it in the RDX for close to two years now.

Driving it in Sport+ is excruciating not because it holds gears way too long before up shifting (I mean I would do that all the time in my R8s or my current TTRS) but because the engine literally sounds like it’s going to explode from being stressed so much. I had a 2.0T 4-cylinder in my Audi TTS before I traded it in for the TTRS and it sounded really good for a little 4 pot. The RDX does not.

I do think the artificial sounds in the new TLX sound better than what I’ve experienced in my RDX, but I would venture to guess anytime a car uses artificial sounds to mask its real sound is probably not a good thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
Carnage719 (10-28-2020), pyrodan007 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its not about being hyper or a first world problem its about getting what you paid for, $40,000 odd for a car with a fully functional transmission not one you are forced to adapt to so its performance is acceptable to you.

I drive my car in Sport+ because I want to not because I have to so it will function properly. I drive it in Comfort (softens the suspension, shifts & throttle sensitivity the way I have it programed) when my wife is in the car. Also on the interstates to get 8th gear which is locked out in sport+.

I drive on any given day a 20 year old manual shift truck 4X4 Ranger Hi/Lo 5MT, a light shifting 6MT BMW 135is, a heavy shifting 5MT COBRA, an 8ZF Z4 & a 10GM Suburban. Not one of the requires me to do anything special to get them to perform properly in any range.

Club Car is electric direct drive no transmission.

Believe that as long as people roll over & accept these kinds of issues Honda will keep on keeping on living on its past reputation of a very reliable manufacturer, when those days are now behind them.
My posts were not to go down this idiot rabbit hole again, but to explain to another poster that negative comments should be taken with a grain of salt. Let's be clear on two things, 1. I don't roll over for anyone, I just don't have an issue with it's performance like the rest of you experts. 2. I'm done with the ZF9 discussions. They're pointless.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-28-2020 at 02:25 PM.
dio (10-29-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:16 PM
Racer

You just did.
Tony Pac (10-28-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**