2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
What statement am I not backing up? And you don't even need to hear anything from me, just go watch/read all of the reviews and read through these threads: common themes.
​​​​
There are WAAAAYYYYYYYY more negative comments about the new TLX in the comments section on YouTube videos than there are here.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
So CarPlay integration still requires a USB cable but, it’ll be wireless for the Accord?

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...ucYQn5Seghib1I
OUCH!!! Have wireless CarPlay in my home built COBRA.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
OUCH!!! Have wireless CarPlay in my home built COBRA.
That’s another puzzling thing about automakers who put wireless charging in their cars but not wireless CarPlay. Acura isn’t the only one guilty of it, of course, but why not see it as an opportunity to do the right thing? 2021 C8s will have wireless CarPlay. And apparently it might be possible to retrofit it on the 2020s.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Damn it looks good in black!

I like the Everyman Driver but dude needs to switch to decaf
Actually, I find the darker colours (black, violet) to take away the nice character lines of the vehicle... so I love the grey and red better. But totally personal preferences, of course!
Old 10-12-2020, 02:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
There are WAAAAYYYYYYYY more negative comments about the new TLX in the comments section on YouTube videos than there are here.
Correct, and that is what I was including in my statements and how I came up with "hundreds". And that was probably being generous, if we add up everything...

This car is a miss. If one likes it that is great and for the right price it may not be a bad buy but right now it's just not looking good.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Seriously, even with all the "negativity" here, it's still very much an echo chamber that is relatively positive. People who think too many folks here hate on Acura reallllly need to see what regular enthusiasts think about Acura. It ain't pretty.
ESHBG (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually I don’t think many of us truly hate the car. There are some positives and it’s a step in the right direction. But seeing as it’s an all new platform, it was an opportunity to put balls to the wall and really make a statement. Sadly, Acura simply didn’t go nearly far enough and it’s mainly in terms of performance. I don’t care how they do it, but the base model needed 320hp or thereabouts, and the Type S needed 400. That would legitimately one-up all the competition. As long as the pricing wasn’t outrageous, I think most people would then overlook the other relatively minor shortcomings.

I think the Acura brand has sentimental value for a lot of us, but we don’t have forever to wait for them to get it right.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
abovetheclouds (10-13-2020), ESHBG (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
Where is this module located?

in the 1G TLX I believe it was behind the glove box, you need to remove it and it is not hard. I believe there is. Video on YouTube or and article I found, been 2 years. On the new RDX it is on the side of the center tunnel, forget which side, but her RDX was Advance and made no difference on engine noise, but I hooked it back up as the RDX did have more noise cancelling benefits so leave it hooked up.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 845 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
Makes sense. At the 1G MMC, I was in negotiation with the dealership for a SNBP color ASpec. Because it was the refreshed model, the dealer was trying to make bank on it, but I responded "You have my offer, call me if and when you're interested." I mentally moved on when I received that call from the dealer about 2-3 weeks later that they agreed to my price. I didn't know the history of the TLX at that time, but, obviously, 2015-17 MY issues influenced sales and the dealer knew close to MSRP on the refresh wasn't going to happen. So, yeah, once dealers and the manufacturer understand sales volume, corresponding below MSRP offers are accepted and manufacturer discounts are created to move inventory.
Yea! I remember seeing posts like that, where people were hardly getting any deals when the 1g MMC just came out. Sedans is a tough market though and the TLX nameplate was tarnished at the time, so it didn't take long for dealers with some common sense to start offering deals. But ya, with the new TLX, dealers will think they have the latest and greatest car and will try to be firm on the price. Give it a couple months and we will see what discounts they will offer. At that time we can talk more about market price comparison. Right now, dealers and Acura are in their honeymoon period (or so they think).
Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
What I want to know is if the refreshed Lexus IS 350 F sport DHP will eat the TLX and type S lunch?

The Lexus God still has me looking at getting a 2021 IS over the TLX for reliability, build quality, and made in Japan.

Looking at the RDX PMC edition and 2021 TLX, they had tons of orange peal and paint imperfections. I guess nothing beats a Takumi, We aren't in Ohio any more!

Last edited by Barbecue Tech Tips; 10-12-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:48 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The IS is on a pretty old platform now and the current gen came out in 2014. Like the TLX, the IS is also a heavy car, with the IS350 F Sport AWD coming close to 4000lb. It's a few tenths faster than the TLX 2.0T in pretty much all acceleration metrics though, but you do have to pay for that as the IS350 is about $5k more than a fully loaded TLX 2.0T.

But ya the IS is made in Japan it's probably hard to beat its reliability and build quality since the car has been out for so long, that all bugs should be ironed out by now. And its powertrain is pretty dated too, so it's gonna be reliable.

This generation IS is also known to be a good handling car so that's a plus.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Received 678 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
The IS is on a pretty old platform now and the current gen came out in 2014. Like the TLX, the IS is also a heavy car, with the IS350 F Sport AWD coming close to 4000lb. It's a few tenths faster than the TLX 2.0T in pretty much all acceleration metrics though, but you do have to pay for that as the IS350 is about $5k more than a fully loaded TLX 2.0T.

But ya the IS is made in Japan it's probably hard to beat its reliability and build quality since the car has been out for so long, that all bugs should be ironed out by now. And its powertrain is pretty dated too, so it's gonna be reliable.

This generation IS is also known to be a good handling car so that's a plus.
...shouldn't it be that all the "wrinkles" should be ironed out by now?
iforyou (10-15-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,996 Likes on 14,504 Posts
wrinkled bugs are gross. not very hygienic
Old 10-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
...shouldn't it be that all the "wrinkles" should be ironed out by now?
Maybe Lexus can put a steam engine locomotive in THEIR ad to prove they’ve “steamed” out all the wrinkles instead.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:37 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
What I want to know is if the refreshed Lexus IS 350 F sport DHP will eat the TLX and type S lunch?

The Lexus God still has me looking at getting a 2021 IS over the TLX for reliability, build quality, and made in Japan.

Looking at the RDX PMC edition and 2021 TLX, they had tons of orange peal and paint imperfections. I guess nothing beats a Takumi, We aren't in Ohio any more!
The builder is up on the Lexus website. Only you can decide whether or not the Lexus is worth it over the TLX. It seems the IS300's performance is more in line with the current TLX, so Lexus would actually be a tick cheaper while similarly equipped. But, I'd have to drive both, and I'm too lazy to look at the dimensions, but I'm pretty sure the IS has quite a bit less interior and trunk room, so that's something to consider. If you can live with that, you know you're getting a very reliable powertrain and much better build quality over the Acura. Now to the argument for the IS350 F-Sport. With the way I configured mine, and giving up my love for white cars, I was able to get it down to $49.7k, about $1k more than how I'd spec out a TLX Advance. But, IMO, the way they stand now, the IS350 looks way better and I'm sure everyone knows how I feel about Acura's build quality. That alone would have me give the nod to Lexus. But, the Acura wheels are simply awful on every trim, while the Lexus I built has very aggressive and stylish BBS wheels. A decent wheel and tire package is more than $1k. I'm not an audiophile, so I didn't go for the Mark Levinson audio package, and went with Atomic Silver so as to not pay extra for paint. I actually love the color. There isn't a color I'd get the TLX in besides white, so I guess to be fair it's more of a $1.5k difference, but again, a decent wheel and tire package is still more than that.

At the end of the day, if I were in the market right this second for a vehicle, and it wasn't too cramped, I wouldn't take a second look at the TLX compared to the IS. Yes, it's dated, but I think it's just better in every single way, even if it's old. I prefer the interior on it, the looks compared to the current trims is just so much better, and at the end of the day, I'd be much happier while spending the same or even less than what I'd want from Acura (after getting wheels/tires for it). You could probably get the TLX to the IS 350's level of performance with a tune, but then you're throwing away your warranty, so there's that to factor in.

Depending on the performance of the Type-S, I doubt the IS350 would be able to put up much of a fight. But, who knows ... it's Acura we're talking about, so it might be a complete dud when they actually release it and we see the numbers it puts down (and I'm not talking horsepower/torque here).
ESHBG (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
The builder is up on the Lexus website. Only you can decide whether or not the Lexus is worth it over the TLX. It seems the IS300's performance is more in line with the current TLX, so Lexus would actually be a tick cheaper while similarly equipped. But, I'd have to drive both, and I'm too lazy to look at the dimensions, but I'm pretty sure the IS has quite a bit less interior and trunk room, so that's something to consider. If you can live with that, you know you're getting a very reliable powertrain and much better build quality over the Acura. Now to the argument for the IS350 F-Sport. With the way I configured mine, and giving up my love for white cars, I was able to get it down to $49.7k, about $1k more than how I'd spec out a TLX Advance. But, IMO, the way they stand now, the IS350 looks way better and I'm sure everyone knows how I feel about Acura's build quality. That alone would have me give the nod to Lexus. But, the Acura wheels are simply awful on every trim, while the Lexus I built has very aggressive and stylish BBS wheels. A decent wheel and tire package is more than $1k. I'm not an audiophile, so I didn't go for the Mark Levinson audio package, and went with Atomic Silver so as to not pay extra for paint. I actually love the color. There isn't a color I'd get the TLX in besides white, so I guess to be fair it's more of a $1.5k difference, but again, a decent wheel and tire package is still more than that.

At the end of the day, if I were in the market right this second for a vehicle, and it wasn't too cramped, I wouldn't take a second look at the TLX compared to the IS. Yes, it's dated, but I think it's just better in every single way, even if it's old. I prefer the interior on it, the looks compared to the current trims is just so much better, and at the end of the day, I'd be much happier while spending the same or even less than what I'd want from Acura (after getting wheels/tires for it). You could probably get the TLX to the IS 350's level of performance with a tune, but then you're throwing away your warranty, so there's that to factor in.

Depending on the performance of the Type-S, I doubt the IS350 would be able to put up much of a fight. But, who knows ... it's Acura we're talking about, so it might be a complete dud when they actually release it and we see the numbers it puts down (and I'm not talking horsepower/torque here).

I, like you, started configuring an IS350 as soon as the configurator came online. The one I spec'ed was a loaded RWD 350 F Sport with ML Audio, the Dynamic Handling Package, Moonroof, and Triple Beam LED headlights. It came in around $53k or so. At that price, it seems as though it will be in-between a loaded 2.0T Advance and a fully loaded (with the lightweight 20" wheels and such) Type S that will probably sticker in the $55-$57K range with every box checked. I love the 3.5 V6 N/A motor....I drive a current gen GS350 F Sport and it's a gem. That smooth motor, exterior style, build quality, and the Lexus ownership/service experience (not to be easily dismissed by real world buyers) will appeal to buyers. The exterior was refreshed just enough to make it look really nice; I still think the TLX A spec with a set of nice wheels (*cough cough* BBS) looks better. However, the huge let down for me on the IS is the 98% still the same as when it came out in 2014 interior. Even then it wasn't my favorite. The only notable thing they've done is enlarge the infotainment screen and bring it closer to the driver while adding touch input, but now it looks like an after thought.

This Spring when I'm fully in the market for a new car, if Lexus has a large amount of dealer cash and current owner loyalty cash, I could see myself possibly getting a loaded RWD IS350 F Sport. Otherwise, I'll be looking at the TLX 2.0T A Spec SH-AWD....assuming I test drive it and like it.

Last edited by cammy5; 10-13-2020 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2020, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by cammy5
I, like you, started configuring an IS350 as soon as the configurator came online. The one I spec'ed was a loaded RWD 350 F Sport with ML Audio, the Dynamic Handling Package, Moonroof, and Triple Beam LED headlights. It came in around $53k or so. At that price, it seems as though it will be in-between a loaded 2.0T Advance and a fully loaded (with the lightweight 20" wheels and such) Type S that will probably sticker in the $55-$57K range with every box checked. I love the 3.5 V6 N/A motor....I drive a current gen GS350 F Sport and it's a gem. That smooth motor, exterior style, build quality, and the Lexus ownership/service experience (not to be easily dismissed by real world buyers) will appeal to buyers. The exterior was refreshed just enough to make it look really nice; I still think the TLX A spec with a set of nice wheels (*cough cough* BBS) looks better. However, the huge let down for me on the IS is the 98% still the same as when it came out in 2014 interior. Even then it wasn't my favorite. The only notable thing they've done is enlarge the infotainment screen and bring it closer to the driver while adding touch input, but now it looks like an after thought.

This Spring when I'm fully in the market for a new car, if Lexus has a large amount of dealer cash and current owner loyalty cash, I could see myself possibly getting a loaded RWD IS350 F Sport. Otherwise, I'll be looking at the TLX 2.0T A Spec SH-AWD....assuming I test drive it and like it.
Unfortunately the Type-S will not have every box checked if you are talking about all of the options, it will be missing a few things that the Advance has.
leomio85 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by cammy5

Yea, seems like the way most will be spec'd on dealer lots, it'll be between the TLX A-Spec/Advance and TLX Type-S as far as price. I went with the AWD & Dynamic Handling Package and that was really it. Again, I hardly listen to the radio now, so the ML package would be a waste. Nobody uses navigation on cars anymore, so that option is pointless. Triple beam LED ... eh, the regular ones are LED but just one beam? I can live with that for $1,250 less. As for moonroof, even if it were a free option, the POS panoramic sunroof on the RDX makes me never want another moonroof on a car ever again. Slightly more headroom too. That's just me though ... I have a car that doesn't have a moonroof and I've never once wished it had one. But, the way most will be on dealer lots, it'll likely be the Dynamic Handling Package with all the goodies, or a bare bones model without the DHP.

I'm also hearing that supplies for the IS 350 to dealers is going to be extremely limited. I guess Toyota/Lexus is going to play it safe and see how sales go before pumping these things out? That'll hurt people trying to get much off sticker if dealers are only being allocated one or two until 2021 (from what I'm hearing, this is all they're getting ... crazy, it's not like it's anything special, but IS sales are woeful in the US. Infiniti sold substantially more Q50s than ISs in the last few years to put it into perspective.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Unfortunately the Type-S will not have every box checked if you are talking about all of the options, it will be missing a few things that the Advance has.
I'm really not a big "features" guy ... but how you don't have a HUD in your top performance variant, while having it available in other trims, is beyond me, and just shows how little Acura is dedicated to actual performance rather than the feigned appearance of being "performance oriented"
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
ESHBG (10-13-2020), Tesla1856 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
With the IS's questionable performance, cramped interior for both front and rear passengers, and a dated and polarizing exterior and interior, I would take the both the TLX SH-AWD and a CPO GS F with sticky AS rubber everyday and twice on Sundays over any trim of the IS.

Unless, they improve the HUD from the most recent Honda products which squeak like mad during warm temperatures, I really hope that they don't make it standard on the Type-S. That said, I'm really looking forward to them maximizing the capability of this new TLX chassis with the top-shelf components of the Type-S, if it can get close to the greatness of the CTR, I think Acura has a winner.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by MGP99999
That said, I'm really looking forward to them maximizing the capability of this new TLX chassis with the top-shelf components of the Type-S, if it can get close to the greatness of the CTR, I think Acura has a winner.
Pretty sure it's the other way around. The TLX's engine bay was made for the Type-S's V6T and the DW suspension for performance in mind. It at least explains why some length/width was removed versus interior space. All the other omissions is just bad planning, and Acura should pay for not including these from day one. HUD and 360 cam is just plain stupid and makes car look cheap.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Pretty sure it's the other way around. The TLX's engine bay was made for the Type-S's V6T and the DW suspension for performance in mind. It at least explains why some length/width was removed versus interior space. All the other omissions is just bad planning, and Acura should pay for not including these from day one. HUD and 360 cam is just plain stupid and makes car look cheap.
Honestly I'm more concerned about there not being heated rear seats on any trim except the Platinum Elite (Advance). I understand the HUD and 360 cam I guess but cost cutting on heated rear seats? Sounds a little strange as all the economy cars can get you that. For context, in Canada you were able to get a 2020 Tech with heated rear seats. But I guess trims are more in-line with the US now.

Last edited by Jiten Patel; 10-14-2020 at 09:05 AM.
pyrodan007 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Actually I don’t think many of us truly hate the car. There are some positives and it’s a step in the right direction. But seeing as it’s an all new platform, it was an opportunity to put balls to the wall and really make a statement. Sadly, Acura simply didn’t go nearly far enough and it’s mainly in terms of performance. I don’t care how they do it, but the base model needed 320hp or thereabouts, and the Type S needed 400. That would legitimately one-up all the competition. As long as the pricing wasn’t outrageous, I think most people would then overlook the other relatively minor shortcomings.

I think the Acura brand has sentimental value for a lot of us, but we don’t have forever to wait for them to get it right.
Putting 320 hp in the lower end model might be a hit with enthusiasts but not with the larger market segment that considers Acura. The cost and the fuel economy would be headed in the wrong direction for most of these potential buyers. To be honest, they would be better off going the hybrid or EV route to boost HP. As for the Type S, that remains to be seen.
If a can summarize the thinking here, fully load the car and significantly up the HP but reduce the price. Doesn't seem realistic to me.

If I had my druthers, I'd be happy with 250 hp in a slightly smaller lighter vehicle with better fuel economy, with all the features that I have on my Elite 2.4 plus the SH-awd and the new sound system.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MGP99999
With the IS's questionable performance, cramped interior for both front and rear passengers, and a dated and polarizing exterior and interior, I would take the both the TLX SH-AWD and a CPO GS F with sticky AS rubber everyday and twice on Sundays over any trim of the IS.

Unless, they improve the HUD from the most recent Honda products which squeak like mad during warm temperatures, I really hope that they don't make it standard on the Type-S. That said, I'm really looking forward to them maximizing the capability of this new TLX chassis with the top-shelf components of the Type-S, if it can get close to the greatness of the CTR, I think Acura has a winner.
The IS's performance is questionable, but the TLX's isn't? It performs, at least in a straight line, as good or better than the TLX. The new suspension is where Lexus worked the IS over for this refresh, so handling should be on par or better than the TLX as well. As for interior room, just looked it up and in the front, the IS actually has more leg and headroom than the TLX. It's the rear passengers who suffer in the IS. Interior is dated, but it still looks good with high quality materials. As for the exterior, it's subjective, but hands down I give the IS the win in the exterior looks department. Its proportions, lines and overall package blow away the TLX. The wheels and exhaust tips ruin the look of the TLX. Even improving those, it still not as good looking as the IS350 F-Sport with the BBS wheels

I agree with the GS-F, but even CPO, people are already asking for above market thanks to Lexus announcing the demise of the V8, as well as the GS being discontinued. Even Lexus has their mechanical issues, and I prefer to not take on someone else's problems if the maintenance wasn't done properly.

It's ironic ... I'm having this debate in the RDX forum about Acura's crappy interior quality. And here, a defense against having a performance feature is that Honda can't build well put together interiors, so why even have the feature because it'll rattle anyways. Love it. And yes, a common complaint with the RDX Advance is the rattling HUD, so Acura's build quality isn't any improvement over Honda (built in the same factory, same terrible QC).
Old 10-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Putting 320 hp in the lower end model might be a hit with enthusiasts but not with the larger market segment that considers Acura. The cost and the fuel economy would be headed in the wrong direction for most of these potential buyers. To be honest, they would be better off going the hybrid or EV route to boost HP. As for the Type S, that remains to be seen.
If a can summarize the thinking here, fully load the car and significantly up the HP but reduce the price. Doesn't seem realistic to me.

If I had my druthers, I'd be happy with 250 hp in a slightly smaller lighter vehicle with better fuel economy, with all the features that I have on my Elite 2.4 plus the SH-awd and the new sound system.
Um....where did I say “reduce the price”? I would gladly pay to play. But the car needs to be able to perform the way it looks. Right now, it doesn’t.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

1. It's ironic ... I'm having this debate in the RDX forum about Acura's crappy interior quality. And here, a defense against having a performance feature is that Honda can't build well put together interiors, so why even have the feature because it'll rattle anyways.

2. Love it. And yes, a common complaint with the RDX Advance is the rattling HUD, so Acura's build quality isn't any improvement over Honda (built in the same factory, same terrible QC).
1. Rather bizarre. Guys over there are just ripping-out the interior of their new RDX, trying to find the rattles, and adding insulation ... like it's a "normal thing to do" ... crazy.

2. Apparently, new ( high-end Touring) Accords also. I wonder if they finally figured-out how to build a dash with HUD (that doesn't rattle and squeak) in the 2021-TLX Advance (I guess Advance is only one getting it).
Old 10-14-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
1. Rather bizarre. Guys over there are just ripping-out the interior of their new RDX, trying to find the rattles, and adding insulation ... like it's a "normal thing to do" ... crazy.

2. Apparently, new ( high-end Touring) Accords also. I wonder if they finally figured-out how to build a dash with HUD (that doesn't rattle and squeak) in the 2021-TLX Advance (I guess Advance is only one getting it).
Yea, I've gone and fixed the rattles myself mostly. There's one in the cargo area that's come back that's driving me nuts.

And judging by the fact that it has a very similar layout as the RDX, I'd imagine you'll have the same issues with a rattling HUD in the TLX. So, I guess I should bite my tongue ... besides, why do you need a HUD on an automatic that will automatically upshift even in Sport mode anywho? I'd rather have less rattles than another feature that I probably won't use all that often. So glad the TLX doesn't come with a panoramic sunroof.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Yea, I've gone and fixed the rattles myself mostly. There's one in the cargo area that's come back that's driving me nuts.

And judging by the fact that it has a very similar layout as the RDX, I'd imagine you'll have the same issues with a rattling HUD in the TLX. So, I guess I should bite my tongue ... besides, why do you need a HUD on an automatic that will automatically upshift even in Sport mode anywho? I'd rather have less rattles than another feature that I probably won't use all that often. So glad the TLX doesn't come with a panoramic sunroof.
I owned a 3G RDX for over two years and had no problem with the vehicle other than the lift gate on occasion being balky to open. I had no rattles at all. I think you got a bad one.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
I owned a 3G RDX for over two years and had no problem with the vehicle other than the lift gate on occasion being balky to open. I had no rattles at all. I think you got a bad one.
Funny, that's what I tried to say about my experience with my 1G TLX ASpec, and you were having none of it expect to say it was crap. I think you just got a bad one.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:18 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Lol! It makes me wonder if I should keep my 3G RDX after the lease is up and it has been rattle and trouble free for over 2 years now. lol.

Just wondering though, it seems like leo is willing to forego a lot of features on the IS F Sport to keep the price under $50k. In that case, would it be possible to do the same for the TLX and then you will have a bigger price differential? Or is it the case where you need the advance to get some of the must-have features. I guess this is where having individual options is good.

Also, I believe Acura stated that the Type S "arrives next spring well-equipped in the low to mid $50,000s." That to me sounds like it will be anywhere between $50-$55k, and worst case scenario being $55k? It's essentially The A-spec package + a few advance features along with a more powerful engine and some performance mods.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
That’s another puzzling thing about automakers who put wireless charging in their cars but not wireless CarPlay. Acura isn’t the only one guilty of it, of course, but why not see it as an opportunity to do the right thing? 2021 C8s will have wireless CarPlay. And apparently it might be possible to retrofit it on the 2020s.
My 2020 Z4 has both wireless carplay & charging pad, ditto with my 2020 Chevy Suburban. The feature is showing up on a lot of cars now.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:42 AM

Lol! It makes me wonder if I should keep my 3G RDX after the lease is up and it has been rattle and trouble free for over 2 years now. lol.

Just wondering though, it seems like leo is willing to forego a lot of features on the IS F Sport to keep the price under $50k. In that case, would it be possible to do the same for the TLX and then you will have a bigger price differential? Or is it the case where you need the advance to get some of the must-have features. I guess this is where having individual options is good.

Also, I believe Acura stated that the Type S "arrives next spring well-equipped in the low to mid $50,000s." That to me sounds like it will be anywhere between $50-$55k, and worst case scenario being $55k? It's essentially The A-spec package + a few advance features along with a more powerful engine and some performance mods.
Nah, it seems Acura has less options and more “this package comes with these options”. There honestly aren’t that many options to be had on the IS. I prefer the driving experience over finnicking with the infotainment and all the other gizmos. That’s just me tho. The only big options the Lexus has are the triple beam LEDs, navigation and audio package. I have no need for any of those, and that saved me about $4k.

The Type-S could be anywhere from $52-57k in my book. When saying “mid”, I don’t see the cap as being $55k exactly. C&D was way off when they initially priced the upcoming TLX, and now they’re predicting $52-54k ... so probably $56-58k when pricing is announced, lol.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I see, gotcha. Yea that's the downside of the packages, if you just want certain individual options.

It would be a bold move from Acura if they price the TLX Type S at $58k lol...considering the base S4, M340i, and C43 AMG start at $50-$56k. Granted these will go to $70k when loaded. That still seems a bit too close to the pricing of these cars.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:55 AM

I see, gotcha. Yea that's the downside of the packages, if you just want certain individual options.

It would be a bold move from Acura if they price the TLX Type S at $58k lol...considering the base S4, M340i, and C43 AMG start at $50-$56k. Granted these will go to $70k when loaded. That still seems a bit too close to the pricing of these cars.
Agreed. But, even me, who doesn’t like features, would have an M340i just a tick over $60k. I’m sure plenty more would have them even more. The 5 at the dealer near me all have ones for $62k+ sitting on the lot, one leftover from 2020 that’s almost $72k (wonder why nobody bought it, lol).

I don’t think Acura is concerning themselves with what the Europeans are doing anymore. I mean, the A-Spec SH-AWD starts out being about the same price as a 330i with an M-sport appearance package. Obviously the BMW is going to be more if you want similar features tho, but even the Tech package is more than the starting price of the 330i. Is Acura good enough to be within a few grand of a similarly equipped BMW? They seem to think so.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:46 AM
3rd Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Test drove a FWD Advance a couple of days ago, and wanted to share my thoughts. For point of reference purposes, I currently own and am comparing to a 4th gen FWD TL (2012 with 75K miles). And the bulk of our miles are trips of varying lengths, the highest at 7000 miles for one west coast trip.

Driving Dynamics: The chassis is markedly stiffer than mine, so the road noise isolation and overall nvh is way better in the TLX. Best feature of the TLX IMO. Roadhandling wise, not really any better than mine. One big difference I did notice was torque steer: really bad on mine, none on the TLX. The transmission shifts were smooth and quick. And WAY better than that POS ZF 9 speed I tried a couple of years ago. The engine did not disappoint me. Low end torque was a lot of fun, and though I didn't time it, 0 to 60 seemed to be in the low 6 range, identical to mine. The engine pulled smoothly all the way to the upper 90 mph range, which is good enough for me. Brake feel was OK; nothing to write home about IMO. And no I did not experience any turbo lag. What I DID experience was the engine stop/start, frankly the system sucks, and I would never use it.

Interior: Basically loved just about everything about it, but it's not perfect. The center console is positioned too high, which makes it less comfortable for long trips; this applies mostly to the armrest, which is too high and not well padded. I have no issue with the touch pad, but the center screen I do have issues with. My current screen has a hood over it to prevent sun washout, and it works well; the new screen does not, so washout is going to be a problem. Also, the screen needs another inch of height to provide more nav landscape (again, I'm comparing it to my current screen). Lastly, the screen's zoom in/out process is cumbersome compared to mine: I have a dedicated knob; on the TLX, you have to use the touchpad and touch the zoom +/- icon on the screen, I would hope at some point they update the system to a touchpad pinch process for zooming. Those are the only negatives that jump out at me. Several notable highlights: the seats are awesome, really contribute to the car's overall comfort. the HUD was THE interior highlight for me, it was crisp and clear, and positioned perfectly just over the hood's front edge. Lastly, it's good that most of the safety nannies are defeatable. I would turn most of them off for my driving purposes because I am no way ready for any type of autonomous driving. What's the point in purchasing a nearly $50K sports sedan if you can't enjoy driving it?

The following 5 users liked this post by JT 50:
a35tl (10-16-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-15-2020), iforyou (10-16-2020), TLXinTX (10-15-2020), Tony Pac (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 04:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow TFLnow

Old 10-15-2020, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
The IS's performance is questionable, but the TLX's isn't? It performs, at least in a straight line, as good or better than the TLX. The new suspension is where Lexus worked the IS over for this refresh, so handling should be on par or better than the TLX as well. As for interior room, just looked it up and in the front, the IS actually has more leg and headroom than the TLX. It's the rear passengers who suffer in the IS. Interior is dated, but it still looks good with high quality materials. As for the exterior, it's subjective, but hands down I give the IS the win in the exterior looks department. Its proportions, lines and overall package blow away the TLX. The wheels and exhaust tips ruin the look of the TLX. Even improving those, it still not as good looking as the IS350 F-Sport with the BBS wheels

I agree with the GS-F, but even CPO, people are already asking for above market thanks to Lexus announcing the demise of the V8, as well as the GS being discontinued. Even Lexus has their mechanical issues, and I prefer to not take on someone else's problems if the maintenance wasn't done properly.

It's ironic ... I'm having this debate in the RDX forum about Acura's crappy interior quality. And here, a defense against having a performance feature is that Honda can't build well put together interiors, so why even have the feature because it'll rattle anyways. Love it. And yes, a common complaint with the RDX Advance is the rattling HUD, so Acura's build quality isn't any improvement over Honda (built in the same factory, same terrible QC).
I think he is comparing the TLX 2.0T vs the IS 2.0T. Comparison is fair with pricing being almost spot on 38kish vehicle. Straight from Motortrend . "The turbocharged IS 200t's 7.0-second 0-60-mph time is slower than that of the BMW 330i (5.5 seconds), Mercedes-Benz C300 (6.0 seconds), and Cadillac ATS 2.0T (5.7 seconds)"
Old 10-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I'm really not a big "features" guy ... but how you don't have a HUD in your top performance variant, while having it available in other trims, is beyond me, and just shows how little Acura is dedicated to actual performance rather than the feigned appearance of being "performance oriented"

Yeah, go figure. Almost every competitor their sport high end model has everything and then some.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Just watched several more thorough, unsponsored, and positive reviews on the TLX. Lots of kudos for handling and acceleration, and exterior and interior looks and materials. Certainly a few quibbles but very positive overall. Interestting break from the negative hyperbole from some enthusiasts here. Just when I thought i shouldn't like the car, despite my iinitial positive impressions from two test drives, I'm dragged back into fanboy mode. So much cognitive disonance!
Old 10-16-2020, 06:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Driving

https://driving.ca/acura/tlx/reviews...2021-acura-tlx

1st Drive: 2021 Acura TLX

The newest TLX is an intriguing and stylish entry into the sport sedan segment, but the finer details need work

by Peter Bleakney | October 12, 2020 With buyers running headlong towards SUVs and crossovers, do sport sedans really matter any more? Well, Acura thinks so, and proof of its conviction is the 2021 TLX — it expects this sedan to account for about 20 per cent of its total sales volume.

The 2021 TLX is re-engineered from the ground up, starting with a stiffer structure, a new multi-link suspension front and rear, and a pretty dang sexy body. There’s also a new turbocharged V6 that spits out 355 horsepower, but we’ll have to wait ’til next spring for that one. For now, this 2.0L turbo-four A-Spec, with 272 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque, is the hottest prospect. Is this enough to get the TLX back in the sport sedan fray?

Not straying far from last year’s Type S Concept, this new TLX is longer, lower, and wider than the outgoing model. Even though it’s still a front-wheel-drive-based architecture with a transversely mounted engine, its long hood and short rear deck give a rakish, rear-wheel-drive-like profile. And the TLX has some pretty sexy haunches too. The sporty A-Spec gets specific trim bits, such as 19-inch wheels and a little trunk spoiler.
RELATED
Acura teases next MDX prototype, full reveal coming October 14
5 Best sport sedans that don’t break the bankThe cabin has its own drama too, wowing with a swooping centre console and low-profile dash that affords fine forward visibility. A 10.2-inch display sits atop the dash. You sit sports-car low in here and the driving position excellent, as are the ventilated A-Spec seats trimmed in leather and faux suede. It’s also roomy and with decent rear seat accommodations.

Ergonomically, the TLX is a mixed bag. We dig the array of physical buttons for the climate control and the volume knob on the console, but with the display screen being out of reach, most other functions are mainly controlled by a swipe-and-push touchpad. It’s better than Lexus’ system, but not by much. You basically tap the part of the pad that corresponds with an icon on the screen; I got better at it with practice, but BMW iDrive’s large rotary controller with surrounding hard buttons is a proven solution. Another niggle are the TLX’s gimmicky red-on-silver gauges, which are hard to see in daylight. But I will say this: the 17-speaker ELS Studio sound system is truly spectacular, and most is forgiven when I’m cranking tunes.

Nonetheless, folks buying this TLX A-Spec are probably looking for legitimate sport sedan moves. The question is, can the 4-cylinder TLX hang with the likes of an Audi A4, BMW 330i, or Genesis G70? Well, it’s a bit of a mixed bag, but as I found out after a couple of laps at Toronto Motorsports Park, this roomy and luxurious sedan has another side to its personality.
    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
      Peter Bleakney, Driving
        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
          Peter Bleakney, Driving
            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
              Peter Bleakney, Driving
                • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                  Peter Bleakney, Driving
                    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                      Peter Bleakney, Driving
                        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                          Peter Bleakney, Driving
                            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                              Peter Bleakney, Driving
  • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
    Peter Bleakney, Driving

But first, about its on-road demeanour. The TLX pretty much aces the comfort side of the equation. Yes, the non-adaptive sport suspension is firm, but also generally quiet and compliant, and the 10-speed automatic slurs the gears seamlessly. Hit a B-road and there’s plenty of grip, with Acura’s clever Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) putting the power down in a bend, planting the TLX and blasting forth. Still, fluidity is not the A-Spec’s strong suit — it has a very quick turn in, but the back end takes half a beat to figure out if it wants to play along. It doesn’t help that response time to shift paddle inputs is lethargic. The best way to drive the TLX briskly on a back road is to select manual mode and keep it in one gear for as long as possible.

However, the TLX A-Spec is quick, with 272 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of torque on tap, although the engine sounds pretty flat and uninspiring. To be fair, so do most other turbo-fours.

And onto the track. I selected Sport mode via the large rotary knob below the screen (it calls up a more aggressive shift map) and push the D/S button (Drive/Sport) twice on the gear selector, which puts it in fully manual mode. To be honest, I expected this track experience to be another uninspired “sport sedan” fight with body roll and understeer — after all, true-blue sport sedans start with a rear-drive architecture. But braking hard at the end of the long straight and turning into the first right-hander had the TLX up on its toes and rotating beautifully. Not power oversteer like in a rear-drive car, but nicely controllable lift-off oversteer which sets you up for powering out of the turn. Roll in the juice and the SH-AWD rewards with lovely four-wheel drifts.
    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
      Peter Bleakney, Driving
        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
          Peter Bleakney, Driving
            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
              Peter Bleakney, Driving
                • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                  Peter Bleakney, Driving
                    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                      Peter Bleakney, Driving
                        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                          Peter Bleakney, Driving
                            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                              Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                  Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                    • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                      Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                        • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                          Peter Bleakney, Driving
                                            • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
                                              Peter Bleakney, Driving
  • 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
    Peter Bleakney, Driving

Indeed, the TLX A-Spec is an absolute hoot on this flat and not-too-technical track just outside of Toronto. I could’ve done this all day, but in the interest of saving some tire tread, I resisted the urge. I’m sure a contributor to this friendly slipping-and-sliding are the Michelin Primacy A/S rubber — an all-season touring tire that, while certainly not a grip monster, seems to have progressive breakaway characteristics.

Is the TLX A-Spec’s slidey track fun carefully crafted by the Acura engineers for the 1-in-a-hundred who might partake, or just a happy accident because they wanted some comfy all-season tires on it? Whatever the reason may be, my respect for the A-Spec got kicked up several notches for every lap completed.

With an all-in price of $49,790, the 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec is an intriguing and high stylin’ entry that undercuts similarly equipped four-cylinder European rivals by at least $10,000 while also being loaded to the teeth. The biggest problem for the TLX comes from South Korea, in the form of the superb, similarly priced, and recently updated Genesis G70. When the six-cylinder, 355-horsepower TLX arrives early next year, expect to really see the fur fly in the sport sedan playground.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**