2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Hopefully Acura moves on from that touch pad thing as soon as possible. It seems to be almost universally hated.
Now that I think about it ... there wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with the old 2-screen design. That top screen is nice and you don't have to wipe-it-down.
All they needed to do was:
- Upgrade resolution of both screens
- Upgrade the speed and responsiveness of the system as a whole (including voice recognition speed and accuracy)
- Move the control knob down near gear-shift
- Upgrade the lower/smaller Touch-screen to allow graffiti entry

IIRC, the final version had Siri Eyes-Free, Apple Car-Play and Android-Auto.

I think they saw others going to Touch-Pads (ie Lexus). 3 years later it was ready (but head-unit in initial release was 3-years old/slow). Everyone else moved to true large touch-screens that they abandoned. And Acura ... a CD-Player is like $40 and fits nicely hidden in glove-box (Audi does this).
Funny thing is, the Accord's solution is pretty nice.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-11-2020 at 12:04 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
ESHBG (10-11-2020), F23A4 (10-11-2020), kurtatx (10-11-2020), mapleloaf (10-11-2020), Neoforever (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Arrow

Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
1. The rear shelf is stamped metal underneath, but the aesthetic cover with sub woofer grills are a big chunk of plastic. I was surprised since a bare bones Camry has a carpeted rear shelf.

2. I forgot to mention the paint defects I saw from contamination during the painting process. The TLX had this, as well as a PMC RDX in the show room.
1. As does my old Accord. It's that low-pile carpet stuff like you might find in the trunk. It's 16 years old and still looks fine. I swear they just change stuff for no good reason.

Off subject but the Interior of the 2004 Accord-V6 still looks great. Leather everywhere (including back-seat and all 4 doors). Headliner and A-pillar fabric is perfect.

2. Yeah, in that Ohio TLX Line-Off video I saw them spot-buffing the white painted ones (but only in certain areas). I'm guessing it was already painted and clear-coated so ... what exactly are they doing in just spots ?

I remember when we picked up our brand-new silver 2014-MDX . It was our beautiful (first) Acura and I was inspecting the paint around the car for dings or scratches. I told the salesman how nice the paint looked and he said something like "Yes, it's very nice, but just don't look too closely". I always thought that was weird.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-11-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I find it bizzare that you get rain sensing wipers and a heated steering wheel on the Canadian Tech and up packages, but only on the US Advanced package.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I find it bizzare that you get rain sensing wipers and a heated steering wheel on the Canadian Tech and up packages, but only on the US Advanced package.
You also get the ASpec with all the Advance options. What influence over Acura do you Canucks have that we Yanks don't?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Its not unusual for cars sold in various countries to have different equipment packages & standard features. The wipers I don't get, thought everybody had rain sensors by now. In Canada could see heated steering & seats as standard items.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:07 AM
Racer

Cold weather accessories as options in cold weather climates is 100% understandable. But how do product managers/executives decide this country can purchase an Acura vehicle with every option available, while another country has to purchase packages that may or may not include those same options?
Old 10-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
Cold weather accessories as options in cold weather climates is 100% understandable. But how do product managers/executives decide this country can purchase an Acura vehicle with every option available, while another country has to purchase packages that may or may not include those same options?
Fun fact: more people in the US live further north than the southernmost point in Canada than the entire population of Canada.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (10-11-2020), kurtatx (10-11-2020), Nedmundo (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
You also get the ASpec with all the Advance options. What influence over Acura do you Canucks have that we Yanks don't?
That was only true for the 1st Gen TLX A-spec. That practice went away with the 3G RDX A-spec and unfortunately the new TLX A-spec can no longer be had with the Platinum Elite (Advance) features. Why do you think I and other Canadians have been so frustrated with Acura. These decisions make no sense whatsoever.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
My bad. Another bone picker with an agenda.
Yes, hundreds of people saying the same exact thing between reviewers and this forum but it's some secret anti-Acura agenda. And even stranger considering when you look at people's signatures many of us have been long-term owners.

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Now that I think about it ... there wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with the old 2-screen design. That top screen is nice and you don't have to wipe-it-down.
- Upgrade the speed and responsiveness of the system as a whole (including voice recognition speed and accuracy)

I think they saw others going to Touch-Pads (ie Lexus). 3 years later it was ready (but head-unit in initial release was 3-years old/slow). Everyone else moved to true large touch-screens that they abandoned. And Acura ... a CD-Player is like $40 and fits nicely hidden in glove-box (Audi does this).
Funny thing is, the Accord's solution is pretty nice.
I don't mind two screens at all but what I don't like is when the climate control, seat heaters, etc need to be accessed through a touch screen. In the winter this is really horrible.

And while I haven't used Acura's new touchpad system yet I already know that I will hate it and find it to be pointless. I will get used to it, sure, but still over engineered to me.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:33 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
My wife has a condition where the cold (say, under 40 F) causes her fingers to seize up and hurt. I want to get her a heated steering wheel so bad, but so few companies in Texas offer it. I wish more cold weather packages were available down here.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Yes, hundreds of people saying the same exact thing between reviewers and this forum but it's some secret anti-Acura agenda. And even stranger considering when you look at people's signatures many of us have been long-term owners.

I liked Acura's 1st offerings, the Legend and Integra, and the 3G TL still turns my head. So, after admiring from afar for a longtime, I finally purchased my first car from the brand. Then, I excitedly join this site to be a part of the Acura community and share experiences. Well, since joining, I'm bombarded with how horrible my TLX is due to the legacy of the 2015-17 MY, the transmission is crap, performance and build quality are a joke, previously renowned reliability is now an afterthought, etc., yet I'm accused of being a "bone-picker" with an anti-Acura agenda.

If I was indeed influenced by the many negative posts throughout the forum, I'd be running from the brand and never look back.

I don't mind two screens at all but what I don't like is when the climate control, seat heaters, etc need to be accessed through a touch screen. In the winter this is really horrible.

And while I haven't used Acura's new touchpad system yet I already know that I will hate it and find it to be pointless. I will get used to it, sure, but still over engineered to me.

Agreed. With a little reworking of the GUI and a head unit with updated graphics, powerful processor, and more physical buttons, the 2-screen set up would certainly be better solution vs. the True Touch pad. For that matter, incorporating a modified version of the Accord infotainment would be and improvement.
/
Old 10-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Racer

My wife has a condition where the cold (say, under 40 F) causes her fingers to seize up and hurt. I want to get her a heated steering wheel so bad, but so few companies in Texas offer it. I wish more cold weather packages were available down here.
When you're interested in any model above the base, IMO, all options should be available if you're will to pay ala carte pricing.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Although Acura does a lot of things that baffle me, they do offer the heated flat-bottom steering wheel for the TLX as a stand-alone accessory for US$475.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:07 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts

Some of y’all are kings of hyperbole. Hundreds of people saying the same exact thing, really?
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Why is this forum filled with a bunch of whinners?
Ludepower (10-12-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 02:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I’m no expert on discussion forums as a business model, but I would reckon this and other similar sites would quickly go out of business if all you had was sycophants who don’t evaluate the car objectively in the greater context of what else is available out there. Oh damn, did I just describe Acura’s product development and marketing departments to a T??
ESHBG (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe because some of us Acura enthusiasts are sad and "misery loves company" ?

I like your new avatar. I bet some of the young-people don't even know what that is.
Barbecue Tech Tips (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 03:58 PM
Racer

Why is this forum filled with a bunch of winners?
Aw, man, thanks for your positivity!
Old 10-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, we don't have the HUD or adaptive dampers, heated rear seats, surround camera, Iconic drive lighting package, or 16 way seats. Those are exclusive features of the Platinum Elite package. As for the reasons, it either relates to trend analysis or that we are more deserving
Old 10-11-2020, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

As for the touch Screen on the two screen system, I almost never have to touch it for climate. My seats are set on auto for heating and cooling, as is the temperature, which is adjustable with the toggles as well. I rarely play with the audio touch controls as I use Apple Car Play (Spotify) in the upper screen. As mentioned above, some resolution and graphics improvements and possibly moving the knob to the middle console would have been another way to go. However, I'm just fine with the True Touch pad, because once you master it I think its safer than the dash top touch screen. But then I havent been raised from birth on an IPAD
Old 10-11-2020, 04:44 PM
Racer

I was informed that the 1G Elite ASpec packaging is no longer offered on the 2G in Canada. My bad. When I purchased my 2018 ASpec, I was pissed when I realized Canada offered the Elite ASpec, and this packaging wasn't offered in the US until the PMC model.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 845 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I agree it's not fair to compare MSRP to market price, but that's not what we're doing. We're comparing market price to market price. Sure, you can say the TLX is new so there are no discounts, but if we're saying that this car is marginally (if even) better than the competitors cars that have been out long enough to start seeing steep discounts, who's fault is that? Just because they're older into the model cycle suddenly they have an unfair advantage? One could say Acura should have an unfair advantage by virtue of their car being more recent/modern which should offset the higher market price...but it isn't.
I understand where you are coming from. But you get where I'm coming from right?

Basically, the TLX is just a couple weeks old. I don't think Acura has much sales data right now to draw on - as to how much incentive is needed.

It goes back to what I was saying - supply and demand, and making the most money out of it.

Others have been out for a little longer and have sales data for refining any supply and demand models. They have a better idea as to how much discount is needed to achieve a certain level of sales. And you know for these manufacturers, in turns out that they need to offer a lot of discount in order to sell.

Acura will need a few months to get an idea and refine their model.

So ya, for the time being, may be for the next couple months, sure the TLX's market price will be high relative to others. But that's kinda standard for most new cars anyway.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mapleloaf

1. As for the touch Screen on the two screen system, I almost never have to touch it for climate.

2. My seats are set on auto for heating and cooling,

3. as is the temperature, which is adjustable with the toggles as well.
1. Neither did I.

2. Right. And these settings are saved for each Driver-1 and Driver-2 separately.

3. Right PHYSICAL toggle-buttons. In relation to the HVAC, the lower screen is mainly used for temp display and status. Honda has been using the audio head-unit for that function for over 15 years now.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-11-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iforyou
I understand where you are coming from. But you get where I'm coming from right?

Basically, the TLX is just a couple weeks old. I don't think Acura has much sales data right now to draw on - as to how much incentive is needed.

It goes back to what I was saying - supply and demand, and making the most money out of it.

Others have been out for a little longer and have sales data for refining any supply and demand models. They have a better idea as to how much discount is needed to achieve a certain level of sales. And you know for these manufacturers, in turns out that they need to offer a lot of discount in order to sell.

Acura will need a few months to get an idea and refine their model.

So ya, for the time being, may be for the next couple months, sure the TLX's market price will be high relative to others. But that's kinda standard for most new cars anyway.
Makes sense. At the 1G MMC, I was in negotiation with the dealership for a SNBP color ASpec. Because it was the refreshed model, the dealer was trying to make bank on it, but I responded "You have my offer, call me if and when you're interested." I mentally moved on when I received that call from the dealer about 2-3 weeks later that they agreed to my price. I didn't know the history of the TLX at that time, but, obviously, 2015-17 MY issues influenced sales and the dealer knew close to MSRP on the refresh wasn't going to happen. So, yeah, once dealers and the manufacturer understand sales volume, corresponding below MSRP offers are accepted and manufacturer discounts are created to move inventory.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Racer

1. Neither did I.

2. Right. And these settings are saved for each Driver-1 and Driver-2 separately.

3. Right PHYSICAL toggle-buttons. In relation to the HVAC, the lower screen is mainly used for temp display and status. Honda has been using the audio head-unit for that function for over 15 years now.
You learn something new every day.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts

The idea was ok, but th implementation was terrible. WinCE core was already a dinasour in 201x, making maintenance and development hard and costly. The AA and CarPlay basically come from a piggy-backed card - another costly stop-gap solution.
Tesla1856 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Some of y’all are kings of hyperbole. Hundreds of people saying the same exact thing, really?
Add it up over time between reviews and this forum. I know that the Acura boosters don't like to acknowledge reality but it will all be out in the open. There's a common theme between this forum and outside of this forum so it's pretty hard to deny the truth at this point.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I test drove a TLX advanced trim with SH- AWD.

The dealer is situated in the best test drive area I can imagine. The main road is straight out of the ghetto with pot holes and chewed up pavement every where. The side street is freshly paved 4 lane road with center median, that is lined with commercial businesses. That gives me no stop signs or lights for half a mile. There are turn around cut outs every 500ft and a dead end circle at the end.

I tested the cars 0-60 multiple times and the behavior of the sh-awd upon WOT and U turns. I enjoyed the drive more than the haters on the internet would make me think.

I had a flash drive full of surround sound music that sounded as good as my KEF home setup. The thigh entension is a must have for me and the ride in comfort soaked up the pot holes and chewed up tarmac. The car did seem to have a floaty ride in comfort due to the electronic dampers and was refined.

Interior quality was impressive overall compared to the Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury.

My only real negative I had was the god awful engine noise pumped in by the speakers in sport mode, plastic rear shelf behind seats, and the seat leather defects on a new car, much like what the press cars have.

I disabled the pumped in engine noise in my 19 ASPEC. The is a module that controls that and the noise cancellation feature. I unplugged it and no increase in noise and no more irritating fake engine noise. I assume they have the same thing in this gen TLX as well.
Tesla1856 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:41 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
With regards to the trackpad in the TLX and RDX that Ive never heard mentioned in a review or even by many owners, is that there is a programmable Apps button on the steering wheel that allows you to select various items instead of using the trackpad. The only time I regularly use the trackpad in my RDX is when Im using Carplay and its an Apple issues that it doesnt work the same way Acura gestures do. The volume wheel also rocks side-to-side for various selections. Siri in my experience also works wonders.

Im not saying its the best interface, but many people overlook the other available features and functions.
a35tl (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 08:21 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Add it up over time between reviews and this forum. I know that the Acura boosters don't like to acknowledge reality but it will all be out in the open. There's a common theme between this forum and outside of this forum so it's pretty hard to deny the truth at this point.
That’s not the point. You either can back up your statement or you can’t. Maybe you can just admit that you misspoke.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I sat in one after getting an oil change and it surely is a completely new car. It'll be interesting to see what Acura does over the years, hopefully only improvements and dont go backwards
Old 10-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
I disabled the pumped in engine noise in my 19 ASPEC. The is a module that controls that and the noise cancellation feature. I unplugged it and no increase in noise and no more irritating fake engine noise. I assume they have the same thing in this gen TLX as well.
Where is this module located?
Old 10-11-2020, 10:55 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Where is this module located?
most “sports” sedans all do this! BMW is notorious for the piped in noise.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
most “sports” sedans all do this! BMW is notorious for the piped in noise.
Best plan is to turn it off & if you like to hear the exhaust program the muffler flapper valves to stay open all the time.
djhtsx (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Debating which steering wheel to get. Should I stay with the round wheel with Advanced trim or go flat bottom sport wheel?
Old 10-12-2020, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Are the steering wheels the same circumference? All I can see is the flat bottom and perforated sections. Hand grips look to be the same molding and circumference.

Last edited by Barbecue Tech Tips; 10-12-2020 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

That’s not the point. You either can back up your statement or you can’t. Maybe you can just admit that you misspoke.
What statement am I not backing up? And you don't even need to hear anything from me, just go watch/read all of the reviews and read through these threads: common themes.
​​​​
Old 10-12-2020, 05:55 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Damn it looks good in black!

I like the Everyman Driver but dude needs to switch to decaf
MGP99999 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
So CarPlay integration still requires a USB cable but, it’ll be wireless for the Accord?

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...ucYQn5Seghib1I
Old 10-12-2020, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
So CarPlay integration still requires a USB cable but, it’ll be wireless for the Accord?

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...ucYQn5Seghib1I
Honda: Acura's new tech and luxury brand
F23A4 (10-12-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**