2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
I understand the basic principles, and without watching the whole video, are you saying SH-AWD is not similar to Quattro in AWD operation?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sonyfever
You made engineering sound so simple. Honda should hire you...
They can't afford me!
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnage719:
04WDPSeDaN (10-01-2020), sonyfever (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85

It's longer, lower, and wider than the current MDX.

.... and following the TLX's footsteps, has less room inside.

Sorry, I couldn't resist ...

And it may be splitting hairs, but the MDX had to take the place of "flagship" status with the axing of the RLX. The NSX is Acura's 'halo car'. 'Flagship' is more the biggest, most luxurious model they have. That can only really be the MDX at this point.
After reading this, I am SO HAPPY we bought our 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid last year. We bought that a few years earlier than we needed, but we LOVED the Sport Hybrid and HATED the 3G RDX and figured we'd hate the new MDX. Making a larger SUV longer and wider makes it SO MUCH HARDER to park inside modern garages. Having less usable space and lower makes it less practical for an SUV.

Have no interest in any of modern redesigned Acuras, but very happy we bought what we bought when we did.

Have no clue what we'll replace these with, maybe something from Genesis or Volvo.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:22 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
They can't afford me!
Old 10-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
I understand the basic principles, and without watching the whole video, are you saying SH-AWD is not similar to Quattro in AWD operation?
It is not. The new SH-AWD system relies on the clutch packs entirely to handle the power. It's very similar to the GKN Twinster systems that are being used in some of the other domestic products. Quattro still has a mechanical Torsen differential that can handle much higher torque loads. The old SH-AWD systems were more like the traditional systems with a planetary gear set center diff, which is why those systems were able to handle the full torque of the V6. This new system is lighter, more compact, more fuel efficient, and has more fine-grained torque-vectoring control, but the tradeoff there is the max torque load.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:32 PM
Racer

If they beefed up the 10AT for the AWD Type-S, it seems the solution already exists for a higher 2.0T tune to work with SH-AWD. If not, I'm missing something.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-01-2020 at 07:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnage719:
Neoforever (10-01-2020), pyrodan007 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
After reading this, I am SO HAPPY we bought our 2019 MDX Sport Hybrid last year. We bought that a few years earlier than we needed, but we LOVED the Sport Hybrid and HATED the 3G RDX and figured we'd hate the new MDX. Making a larger SUV longer and wider makes it SO MUCH HARDER to park inside modern garages. Having less usable space and lower makes it less practical for an SUV.

Have no interest in any of modern redesigned Acuras, but very happy we bought what we bought when we did.

Have no clue what we'll replace these with, maybe something from Genesis or Volvo.
Wondering if bringing in the 2.0T to the MDX will completely kill hydrides in Acura. It makes no sense that the NSX is the only electrified car in their lineup. They really need to one trim per model. Acura had a chance to make the TLX interesting by adding a third engine combo, but no.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:18 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
If they beefed up the 10AT for the AWD Type-S, it seems the solution already exists for a higher 2.0T tune to work with SH-AWD. If not, I'm missing something.
Can you quote where anyone is saying the Type-S will have a "beefed up" 10AT? All I've seen is that it will have different tuning, but nothing about the internals being stronger. I'm not saying they didn't, I just haven't seen it. It would be a welcome surprise if they are actually throwing some more robust components into the drivetrain.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Wondering if bringing in the 2.0T to the MDX will completely kill hydrides in Acura. It makes no sense that the NSX is the only electrified car in their lineup. They really need to one trim per model. Acura had a chance to make the TLX interesting by adding a third engine combo, but no.
The outgoing MDX Sport Hybrid is the one Acura product that really hit every single checkbox I cared about. For me it is a home run. It is super efficient in city driving, very practical, and fun to drive. Easy intuitive touch screen, lots of features, and the vehicle really performs. The open pore wood for the 2019s was icing on the cake, much better than what the TLX or RLX had, and better implemented than the current TLX.

Acura really hit a home run with the MDX Sport Hybrid. All they had to do was put the IDS, adaptive dampers, and the updated Infotainment in the RLX Sport Hybrid and I would have EASILY bought it over everything else on the market.

I liked the MDX SH so much that I really wanted an RLX SH, but could not get past the lousy suspension and the dinosaur infotainment. Instead I got a 1G TLX V6 as my second vehicle, which I like, but I would have ponied up for the RLX SH had Acura completed the MMC as they should have.

I have ZERO interest whatsoever in the new TLX and MDX. Although I love my MDX and really like my TLX, I will likely abandon the brand altogether when it's time to replace these.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 10-01-2020 at 08:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AcuraGuy2016:
04WDPSeDaN (10-02-2020), ESHBG (10-01-2020), pyrodan007 (10-01-2020), RedOctober (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:36 PM
Racer

Can you quote where anyone is saying the Type-S will have a "beefed up" 10AT? All I've seen is that it will have different tuning, but nothing about the internals being stronger. I'm not saying they didn't, I just haven't seen it. It would be a welcome surprise if they are actually throwing some more robust components into the drivetrain.
Nope, but I recall seeing it mentioned in the many discussions prior to and during the official release.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Skip to @ 12:40. Speaks to a beefed up transmission and SH-AWD. We'll see what that actually translates to for the Type S.

The following 2 users liked this post by Camaro194:
Legend2TL (10-04-2020), leomio85 (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Marc Ernst in the Official video at around 12:00 minutes (intro to Type-S).
Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Racer

Thanks, I knew I wasn't going crazy and it was previously mentioned.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:15 PM

If I had to get a luxury performance sedan today, I'd 1,000% go for the Lexus IS 350 F-Sport. Would ya look at that ... base price went up, but the F-sport actually got cheaper.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...us-is-pricing/

IS 350 F-Sport AWD in white with optional black wheels, please. I hope hope hope Lexus comes out with a Type-S competitor that's within the same ballpark as far as pricing. I just don't see what it could be with their current powertrain offerings. V8 isn't going to be AWD, and I hear the TT V6 doesn't fit under the hood of the IS. Who knows. God, if Lexus does build a Type-S fighter, I'm definitely making the leap. They'll probably actually build something made for performance, rather than a compromised family sedan with a bigger engine with a drivetrain holding on by a thread. And with the hysterically terrible build quality coming out of those OH plants, I'd gladly never park an Acura shitbox in my driveway ever again.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
If I had to get a luxury performance sedan today, I'd 1,000% go for the Lexus IS 350 F-Sport. Would ya look at that ... base price went up, but the F-sport actually got cheaper.

IS 350 F-Sport AWD in white with optional black wheels, please. I hope hope hope Lexus comes out with a Type-S competitor that's within the same ballpark as far as pricing. I just don't see what it could be with their current powertrain offerings. V8 isn't going to be AWD, and I hear the TT V6 doesn't fit under the hood of the IS. Who knows. God, if Lexus does build a Type-S fighter, I'm definitely making the leap. They'll probably actually build something made for performance, rather than a compromised family sedan with a bigger engine with a drivetrain holding on by a thread. And with the hysterically terrible build quality coming out of those OH plants, I'd gladly never park an Acura shitbox in my driveway ever again.
Try to find a GS F. Excellent car and very underrated. That car is wow.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:03 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Dont tell me they are unbiased, because they sure as hell seemed biased to me! Yuri hated the 2G's true touch so much but didnt even mention how awful this looked.

Shadow2056 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:57 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
https://youtu.be/ymXnyp2f-kM

Dont tell me they are unbiased, because they sure as hell seemed biased to me! Yuri hated the 2G's true touch so much but didnt even mention how awful this looked.

I think they gave the 2nd gen TLX an honest review as they did with the 1st gen TLX (Which they liked). As for the K5, it seems like a spot on review for what it is and nothing more.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
https://youtu.be/ymXnyp2f-kM

I think he was referring to the touch pad itself, not how the screen looked.
RedOctober (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
A K5 pulled up next to me the other day so I got to see one up close and personal, it's a sharp looking car.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
The key difference between SH-AWD (and the Twinster system on Ford RS) is that the rear is overdriven, that means the rear wheels always spin 2.7x faster than front wheels if the car is lifted and the clutches are locked. Why? This gives us the maximum 70% rear bias (2.7/3.7=72%). Therefore, the clutches control the amount of front/rear torque distribution. Fully locked is 70% to the rear, fully open is 100% to the front. However, for some reasons SH-AWD does not allow the clutches to be fully decoupled, so the clutches are in a controlled slipping state in a straight line to absorb the speed difference. I guess the reason for the constant coupling might be for smoothness or to improve reliability, because I assume more wear if the clutches need to go from fully open to fully closed in a short time. Acura published the torque capacity in RDX press kit (2213 lb-ft), and the wheel torque is >5600lb-ft if full power is allowed in 1st gear. So depending on the minimum rear bias, the rear differential might be the limiting factor in 1st gear.

On Audi, the front/rear distribution is usually controlled by a mechanical center differential, hence its sport differential does not deal with >50% rear torque bias all the time. The sport differential clutches are solely used for torque vectoring purpose, so less wear because they are mostly locked I believe.

At the end of the day, it is a complex decision among cost/reliability/packaging. Why Acura cannot beef up the powertrain components enough to fully use the K20c power? I hope someone ask Acura this question one day. Maybe we will know more when Type-S arrives.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
The key difference between SH-AWD (and the Twinster system on Ford RS) is that the rear is overdriven, that means the rear wheels always spin 2.7x faster than front wheels if the car is lifted and the clutches are locked. Why? This gives us the maximum 70% rear bias (2.7/3.7=72%). Therefore, the clutches control the amount of front/rear torque distribution. Fully locked is 70% to the rear, fully open is 100% to the front. However, for some reasons SH-AWD does not allow the clutches to be fully decoupled, so the clutches are in a controlled slipping state in a straight line to absorb the speed difference. I guess the reason for the constant coupling might be for smoothness or to improve reliability, because I assume more wear if the clutches need to go from fully open to fully closed in a short time. Acura published the torque capacity in RDX press kit (2213 lb-ft), and the wheel torque is >5600lb-ft if full power is allowed in 1st gear. So depending on the minimum rear bias, the rear differential might be the limiting factor in 1st gear.

On Audi, the front/rear distribution is usually controlled by a mechanical center differential, hence its sport differential does not deal with >50% rear torque bias all the time. The sport differential clutches are solely used for torque vectoring purpose, so less wear because they are mostly locked I believe.

At the end of the day, it is a complex decision among cost/reliability/packaging. Why Acura cannot beef up the powertrain components enough to fully use the K20c power? I hope someone ask Acura this question one day. Maybe we will know more when Type-S arrives.
So why can't they change rear bias in a way that rear gets 2213 and rest goes to front? Why neuter the power? 2213 is better than 0.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:04 PM

Pure speculation, but I'm gonna go with fuel economy. The RDX in SH-AWD actually gets worse gas mileage than pretty much any one of its competitors. Having a beefier drivetrain with more parasitic drag would only hurt that more. I'm also under the impression that Acura fudged those numbers, as I can barely manage 21 MPG in mixed driving with mostly highway driving. Yes, I do do spirited runs from time to time, but 98% of the time it's being driven very tamely. 0W-20 Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil or BP 93 Octane fuel, in case one of the weebs want to come in and claim that bullshit as being the cause of poor gas mileage. Though, it has gotten better with miles. It used to be in the 19.x range for a while, but that was in the winter with the winter blend of fuel. I'm sure the heavy 20" A-Spec wheels don't help, but still ...
Old 10-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Pure speculation, but I'm gonna go with fuel economy. The RDX in SH-AWD actually gets worse gas mileage than pretty much any one of its competitors. Having a beefier drivetrain with more parasitic drag would only hurt that more. I'm also under the impression that Acura fudged those numbers, as I can barely manage 21 MPG in mixed driving with mostly highway driving. Yes, I do do spirited runs from time to time, but 98% of the time it's being driven very tamely. 0W-20 Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil or BP 93 Octane fuel, in case one of the weebs want to come in and claim that bullshit as being the cause of poor gas mileage. Though, it has gotten better with miles. It used to be in the 19.x range for a while, but that was in the winter with the winter blend of fuel. I'm sure the heavy 20" A-Spec wheels don't help, but still ...
Same here. Did ok with the 2014-MDX gas-mileage, but we never achieved their numbers. I think you have to drive-around with no passengers, no cargo, and always keep RPMs below 3000.

Obviously, using the large 7-seater SUV as intended, those circumstance never arose.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:35 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts

I have been very critical of Acura with the 2nd Gen TLX, however, they actually have Type S coming in few months and Lexus still has NOTHING that will compete. The new IS does look good but the power plant is ancient history. They barely updated the interior as well. You are pretty much buying a brand new 8 year old car. Sales have been in the shitter and Lexus is just waiting for an excuse to kill this thing off just like they did to GS.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmski:
04WDPSeDaN (10-03-2020), leomio85 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmski
The new IS does look good but the power plant is ancient history. They barely updated the interior as well. You are pretty much buying a brand new 8 year old car. Sales have been in the shitter and Lexus is just waiting for an excuse to kill this thing off just like they did to GS.
People that know Lexus say they are happy to sell SUV and more luxury-like sedans.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16624664

If IS-350 is too small, there is a GS-350 V6-AWD . Toyota has Camry-TRD and Avalon-TRD .
Old 10-02-2020, 05:49 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
People that know Lexus say they are happy to sell SUV and more luxury-like sedans.

If IS-350 is too small, there is a GS-350 V6-AWD . Toyota has Camry-TRD and Avalon-TRD .
Unfortunately, the GS will be axed from the Lexus model lines after the 2020 model year.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dmski
I have been very critical of Acura with the 2nd Gen TLX, however, they actually have Type S coming in few months and Lexus still has NOTHING that will compete. The new IS does look good but the power plant is ancient history. They barely updated the interior as well. You are pretty much buying a brand new 8 year old car. Sales have been in the shitter and Lexus is just waiting for an excuse to kill this thing off just like they did to GS.
Agreed, which is why I was hoping they’d do the IS 500 with something like the V8 in it. Only issue with that is is pricing. If it’s 10k more than the Type S to match the RC-F, it’s already DOA.

The only glimmer of hope I have is that Lexus actually built a dedicated test track that’s quite sizable for their performance ventures going forward. I hope this is a good sign for their future endeavors.

As for having a dated interior, it does but I think it has aged well. All the materials look high quality and everything seems to be well laid out. The Drive mode center stack that Acura has is the dumbest thing ever, and I hate it in the RDX. It was cool at first, but it takes up way too much space and is useless. Getting to the cubby underneath is also awkward. Between the two, I honestly prefer the Lexus design. The other thing that pushes Lexus way over the top is the fact that it will likely not have the same heinous interior build quality that Acura is crapping out of those OH plants.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:21 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
It's like a fuckin miracle when ours rarely gets up to 20mpg. Right now it's stuck on 19.7 My right foot is heavy, but it ain't that heavy.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Consumer Reports

Old 10-03-2020, 12:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
great review! The older guy and the lady seemed so enthusiastic about cars in general. I will definitely consult them for my next car 😜
a35tl (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
great review! The older guy and the lady seemed so enthusiastic about cars in general. I will definitely consult them for my next car 😜
The talking cars podcast is easy to poo poo because it's from consumer reports but they're real "car people."
The following 3 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (10-03-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (10-03-2020), Shadow2056 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856

Makes sense. Big cars & SUV's are where the profits are. Only thing that outstrips them in profit per unit is Pickup trucks.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-03-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Good review. Having spent the last several days pondering the test drive I experienced last Saturday, I cant disagree with their impressions on the new TLX.

Honestly, Acura did a better job with this generation at creating a great 'also ran' offering in this segment. If that was their goal then they succeeded. Seems like the this platform which is "not shared with the Accord" was more to do with addressing the additional weight and adaptation of a future V6 turbo than anything.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Good review. Having spent the last several days pondering the test drive I experienced last Saturday, I cant disagree with their impressions on the new TLX.

Honestly, Acura did a better job with this generation at creating a great 'also ran' offering in this segment. If that was their goal then they succeeded. Seems like the this platform which is "not shared with the Accord" was more to do with addressing the additional weight and adaptation of a future V6 turbo than anything.
Doubt it. Why would they engineer something towards a niche vehicle that's going to sell less than 3% (it's the internet ... trust me, dude) of the units that the more pedestrian models sell? I could be wrong, obviously, but I just don't see it.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Compared to prior generations, the reviews are pretty flat.

Another dull Acura.

Pumped in sound to the cabin
RedOctober (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx

Another dull Acura.

right, because nobody else pumps in sound....
Neoforever (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 04:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx

Another dull Acura.

Speaking of sound I knew that this thing was going to be a total dud when I started seeing the articles about the stereo and oh yeah, you get a car with it too
The following 3 users liked this post by ESHBG:
kurtatx (10-04-2020), Neoforever (10-04-2020), RedOctober (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
I re-read this article from Road and Track (circa 2016) and started to wonder if this pattern is continuing on with the 2G as well (granted, there is a Type S coming, unlike the 1G):

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...f-being-acura/
Old 10-04-2020, 08:34 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by steve_97060
right, because nobody else pumps in sound....
Nothing beats the natural sound of the V6.
Neoforever (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

I am just baffled to want to be a fly on the wall of the early product development meetings. They clearly should have been talking about who their competitors are and they plan of attack to develop a car that can holds its own against the competitors. I get the feeling they still get together and say “hey we need to give those Accord buyers and solid upgrade path as to not loose them”. They should be watching the Koreans as they blow right by Acura. As they beef up their quality and reliability they nibble away and the last key strength Acura holds. They are also breathing down Acura's neck on driving dynamics. I love that the car got bigger, but I want some of that to show up inside the car. The TLX Advance as the flagship car vs. the Type-S is stupid, the Type-S need to be the car that has everything and bring people to the dealership.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**