2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by dio
So, you were let down by the fact they no longer do loaners? look I understand some of you are disappointments, but Acura/ Honda is a business and they have cost of R&D, marketing etc etc.
The car was going to be more money, You would be truly naïve to not expect it. I surely went into it thinking price would be higher, not by the delta it is at launch, but certainly expected it BE HIGHER.

So, what are you mostly disappointment about this iteration? in my opinion.
1) The car looks nicer then the outgoing model, no?
2) The car drives better, no? test drive it, if you haven't already I have 2 2018 Aspec v6, the car drives better, handles better.
3) The interior of the car is improved by a considerable amount, and the build quality fit and finish is better than any of the previous 10 + other Acura Ive owned.
4) The technologies are improved, the screen is improved, the audio is improved.
5) the price is higher than we call expected and some of the features are strangely removed from what was on other models for this iteration, no sensing wipers.

for all of the negative talk, I mostly, and in my humble opinion see a lot of improvements vs the outgoing, outside of price. And when all the smoke and hype clear I beleive the price will settle somewhere are the middle.
in closing I watch these boards usually only when the new models are coming for insight and to get some information from buyers. But I see so much emotion and negativity its striking and I dont see it like most of you.
Take all those points, now factor in a 5k price with little to no performance improvement and add an almost zero innovation factor versus the competition. Acura just barely matched what's on the market. Most of the competition will refresh their stuff soon, Acura will linger this model for at least 3 years, probably 6 before major changes. Besides a nice exterior and matching up in interior materials, what exactly did Acura loyals get? You're even yourself waiting for deals since product doesn't match expectations. Then we have Acura pumping out performance propaganda ...what do you expect will happen. I had a double take when you consider the top trim is 63k CAD all in but needing again to make compromises.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), RedOctober (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by dio
So, you were let down by the fact they no longer do loaners? look I understand some of you are disappointments, but Acura/ Honda is a business and they have cost of R&D, marketing etc etc.
The car was going to be more money, You would be truly naïve to not expect it. I surely went into it thinking price would be higher, not by the delta it is at launch, but certainly expected it BE HIGHER.

2) The car drives better, no? test drive it, if you haven't already I have 2 2018 Aspec v6, the car drives better, handles better.
3) The interior of the car is improved by a considerable amount, and the build quality fit and finish is better than any of the previous 10 + other Acura Ive owned.
4) The technologies are improved, the screen is improved, the audio is improved.
5) the price is higher than we call expected and some of the features are strangely removed from what was on other models for this iteration, no sensing wipers.

for all of the negative talk, I mostly, and in my humble opinion see a lot of improvements vs the outgoing, outside of price. And when all the smoke and hype clear I beleive the price will settle somewhere are the middle.
in closing I watch these boards usually only when the new models are coming for insight and to get some information from buyers. But I see so much emotion and negativity its striking and I dont see it like most of you.
Brother - don't waste your time. This discussion is going on for months. This is not longer the forum where you come and get info, learn about the product, help each other and make a decision. Now it's all about how Audi is great. I call this forum Audizine.com No matter what topic you start, it switches to random discussions. This is my humble and respectful opinion. I think read it and skip it.
The following users liked this post:
steve_97060 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:21 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
What innovation did you expect or want? is there some compelling innovation wise in cars today not available on these TLX models Aspec, Advance on other brands?

The exterior and interiors are fantastic, what did you want, lets hear what your expectations where?
I'm waiting on the incentives like a smart consumer would, and like all others smart shoppers do when purchasing a vehicle, its not like buying the latest tech gadget.. Every dealer with new models cars when they first hit the dealerships, they all sell higher or at MSRP for those early adopters that desire to buy X the moment its available.
Can you please enlighten me on the propaganda? what is it?
I don't live it Canada so I don't have a delta to go by, sorry.
Again, I think
Old 10-05-2020, 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
On the bright side when you step on the gas and the car hesitates and as it depreciates like a rock folks can say hey, but at least the sound system sounded really good
Hey, it really has a great personality.
ESHBG (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:28 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Tony Pac (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by dio

Acura is luxury/near luxury/luxury performance/whatever moniker you want to use with a large increase in prices but a decrease in ownership experience (at least for some of us, I understand that this can be region specific but I am hearing this more and more) and now competing with others that offer more and this is acceptable?!? I would really love to be some of your financial advisors, I would be raking in the dough

And so many boosters around here love this car so much that they have to wait for the prices to drop substantially?!? It's one thing to be smart with your money, but totally another when you realize that the price to value ratio is already way out of whack.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Brother - don't waste your time. This discussion is going on for months. This is not longer the forum where you come and get info, learn about the product, help each other and make a decision. Now it's all about how Audi is great. I call this forum Audizine.com No matter what topic you start, it switches to random discussions. This is my humble and respectful opinion. I think read it and skip it.
So being realistic and objective is not helping people make a decision? Or did you just mean only when the decision leads to yes, this car is perfect and everyone must buy it?

People keep forgetting that many of us wanted to like this car and had hopes of buying it! I have held off on buying a car because I was really hoping to want this one. I have been a very loyal Honda/Acura owner (and sometimes to a fault, as they have not always treated myself/my family well) and I take no joy in seeing this odd direction Acura is taking.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
Neoforever (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dio
What innovation did you expect or want? is there some compelling innovation wise in cars today not available on these TLX models Aspec, Advance on other brands?

The exterior and interiors are fantastic, what did you want, lets hear what your expectations where?
I'm waiting on the incentives like a smart consumer would, and like all others smart shoppers do when purchasing a vehicle, its not like buying the latest tech gadget.. Every dealer with new models cars when they first hit the dealerships, they all sell higher or at MSRP for those early adopters that desire to buy X the moment its available.
Can you please enlighten me on the propaganda? what is it?
I don't live it Canada so I don't have a delta to go by, sorry.
Again, I think
All these questions. Serious question, do you even monitor other brands and Acura's marketing? It's missing tech (digital gauges), acceleration (versus leader A4 and ads from Acura mentioning "it's fast"), space (versus exterior), value (Germans offer similar deals). What you get is something that's pretty but won't excel at anything. And it's expensive now.

Minus the transmission issues, the 1G TLX had something going for it. This one has absolutely nothing that would make me walk away from my A4. Unlike what many here are saying, looks is not enough for me to buy a car.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 10-05-2020 at 09:47 AM.
ESHBG (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Acura is luxury/near luxury/luxury performance/whatever moniker you want to use with a large increase in prices but a decrease in ownership experience (at least for some of us, I understand that this can be region specific but I am hearing this more and more) and now competing with others that offer more and this is acceptable?!? I would really love to be some of your financial advisors, I would be raking in the dough

And so many boosters around here love this car so much that they have to wait for the prices to drop substantially?!? It's one thing to be smart with your money, but totally another when you realize that the price to value ratio is already way out of whack.

So being realistic and objective is not helping people make a decision? Or did you just mean only when the decision leads to yes, this car is perfect and everyone must buy it?

People keep forgetting that many of us wanted to like this car and had hopes of buying it! I have held off on buying a car because I was really hoping to want this one. I have been a very loyal Honda/Acura owner (and sometimes to a fault, as they have not always treated myself/my family well) and I take no joy in seeing this odd direction Acura is taking.

I have no intention to sit and argue with you or with anyone. But there is a difference between being realistic and negative. The 4th Gen Acura wasn't a success at all. When I came to this forum and asked people about their opinion and help. I got amazing responses. Some members were harsh about the 4th Gen but it's fine. The shared their experience and opinion. Realistic and helpful. No one has told you to say the car is perfect and go buy it but if you go read the comments on this forum, they are just ridiculous. Oh forget the reviews and articles. Since the TLX was revealed. And if you don't call those posts negative, then I have nothing to say Sir!

Last edited by Tony Pac; 10-05-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
I have no intention to sit and argue with you or with anyone. But there is a difference between being realistic and negative. The 4th Gen Acura wasn't a success at all. When I came to this forum and asked people about their opinion and help. I got amazing responses. Some members were harsh about the 4th Gen but it's fine. The shared their experience and opinion. Realistic and helpful. No one has told you to say the car is perfect and go buy it but if you go read the comments on this forum, they are just ridiculous. Oh forget the reviews and articles. Since the TLX was revealed. And if you don't call those posts negative, then I have nothing to say Sir!
Isn't the point of a forum discussions? And aren't forums a good indication as to what is going on with a particular brand? When BMW, Audi, whatever cars reliability were in the toilet I saw that openly expressed on those forums. I get that every brand will have their boosters and not everyone will agree but it does seem like some around here take it to a whole other level. And it's not like what we are saying is unrealistic, $50K for this TLX that is missing some substantial features (at least in A-Spec form) and making a bigger car outside but not inside being a dumb move is pretty hard to argue with.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
Neoforever (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I can’t speak for other people but I was very excited about the Type S. When it was revealed that it would only have 355 hp, I admit I was disappointed but thought maybe I can still make it work because that Tiger Eye colour looked so enticing. I owned three 1G TLXs, so it’s obvious I’m not just an armchair critic. But what really made my heart sink is the confirmation that the Type S doesn’t have even the same features as the Platinum Elite, features that many many lesser cars have (or are available on).

I think there are some of us who keep hoping Acura will read these comments and do something with it.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), Neoforever (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Are the YT reviewers paying $50K for the car? Were they long time Acura owners who were really excited by the hype of this release but in the end let down? Are the YT reviewers having to deal with the Acura dealership that no longer gives loaners during service, and where the experience is now no better than a Honda dealership?

I'm glad some people really like the car and who knows, it may be a perfect fit for some. But you cannot market yourself in a certain way but then not come through with any of the follow up at these prices.
Your comment is 100% spot on.

I would actually love to see more YT reviewers walk through the process of actually speccing out the car they’re reviewing to give context to the buying experience, which I think is just as important as going through the exterior, interior, and performance, etc. I think Redline does it albeit just verbally, but Nick Murray does a great job with that for Porsche fans. If Acura won’t listen to us, maybe they’ll listen to reviewers like those you find on YouTube.
ESHBG (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Sometimes, those that love the brand the most hold it to the highest standard and have the highest expectations. Enough of these people, and the brand is challenged and advances to meet those expectations. Other times, those that love the brand will unconditionally love it and turn a blind eye to any and all issues or foibles. Frankly, these people are fools. Enough of them, and the brand stagnates because there's no need to be any better. You sir seem to fall into the second group.

There's a reason why so may former Acura owners now own (or are very interested in) Audi. Audi used to be Tier 2 (or Tier 1.5 at best) in the luxury segment, just like Acura. And just like Acura, their products are based on the more pedestrian models from their parent (VW in their case). They are also FWD-based cars, with performance that doesn't quite match BMW or Mercedes, but made up for it with a lower price and better value. Over the past decade or two, Audi has legitimately pulled itself right up to where BMW and Mercedes are in that Tier 1 group, whereas Acura has stayed put in Tier 2. You honestly think that when Acura owners get older and become stronger financially that they'd stick with the same old Acura products? Look at what Acura builds; there's no upwards path or mobility to stay in the brand. If you want to buy a nicer version of these cars, there's nowhere to go in the brand. Audi/BMW/Mercedes not only have the ability to move customers through their lineups, but even within a given model there's so much room to move. E350 too pedestrian? Well there's the E450, for you, or the E53 , or the E63 AMG, or if you're an empty nester and want to get a coupe, there's that too, or if you want a wagon, there's that too

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-05-2020 at 11:17 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), Neoforever (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020), SebringSilver (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb EveryManDriver

Old 10-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

I forgot to mention, another reason for the shift over is because Audi has added a bajillion new models in the past 15 years. Back in 2005, what did they have? A4, A6, A8, TT, and the Allroad (if you count that separately from the A6). Relatively small lineup, just like Acura. But what have they done since? Added the A3, A5, A5 SB, A7, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8, R8, and S and RS versions of most of those too. Plus some new etron models coming out shortly. And even with that, their lineup still pales in comparison when it comes to offerings compared to BMW and Mercedes. What has Acura done in the past 15 years when it comes to new models? They've axed the TSX and RL, added an RDX, and a ZDX came and went. Frankly there's something for everyone when it comes to what the Germans are building, whereas with Acura your options are much narrower. Hard to blame people for moving away from a brand that just isn't building cars that match what they're looking for anymore.
ESHBG (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I forgot to mention, another reason for the shift over is because Audi has added a bajillion new models in the past 15 years. Back in 2005, what did they have? A4, A6, A8, TT, and the Allroad (if you count that separately from the A6). Relatively small lineup, just like Acura. But what have they done since? Added the A3, A5, A5 SB, A7, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8, R8, and S and RS versions of most of those too. Plus some new etron models coming out shortly. And even with that, their lineup still pales in comparison when it comes to offerings compared to BMW and Mercedes. What has Acura done in the past 15 years when it comes to new models? They've axed the TSX and RL, added an RDX, and a ZDX came and went. Frankly there's something for everyone when it comes to what the Germans are building, whereas with Acura your options are much narrower. Hard to blame people for moving away from a brand that just isn't building cars that match what they're looking for anymore.
Don’t forget there’s also A1 and A2 models in Europe and other parts of the world as well. And that aside from the S and RS versions of most of their models, they also offer like 3 or 4 engine choices just for the base car as well. I don’t think it’s likely that Acura will (or can) emulate Audi per se, nor is that necessary in the first place, but there is no reason Acura can’t do better with their product planning and all it takes is for them to listen to their most fervent supporters: Acurazine members!! Lol
Old 10-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
The thing that mystifies me is that if so many of you have gone and purchased an Audi why the hell are you still haunting this forum flinging hate? Are you not welcome on the Audi forums?
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (10-05-2020), steve_97060 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 12:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Honda430
The thing that mystifies me is that if so many of you have gone and purchased an Audi why the hell are you still haunting this forum flinging hate? Are you not welcome on the Audi forums?
🤣
Does Audi has a forum? I tried to find one but they are all dead. Radio silent!
Old 10-05-2020, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don’t see anyone “flinging hate”. I currently own a 3G RDX, and had harboured a desire to purchase a 2G TLX. Still do, actually, if Acura management would just do what a lot of us are asking for. I don’t get why people want to get rid of anyone with a different opinion than their own. I actually really like the Acura brand. My very first car was an NSX that I bought back in 1992.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), Neoforever (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

If you think this is hate, you do not want to see what the folks at clublexus, mbworld, bimmerpost, audizine, and reddit think of Acuras.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Neoforever (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020), SebringSilver (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
(Trying to resist feeding into off-topic)
As a lurker, I would rather see constructive criticism, objective comparisons and facts from fans, rather than an echo chamber of fanboys.

I really appreciate "perspective" here, rather than going to bimmerpost and be told that anything other than BMW is garbage (just example).
The following 2 users liked this post by Neoforever:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

🤣
Does Audi has a forum? I tried to find one but they are all dead. Radio silent!
If I'm correct, only one of the members here bought a 2G TLX so far. If you remove the criticism, this forum will soon turn silent too. That is until we get news from the Type-S and start to critic it with open minds as well.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Let's steer the conversation back to the topic - discussion around 2021 TLX reviews.

If you want to have a personal off topic conversation please use a PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (10-05-2020), ji0005 (10-05-2020), Legend2TL (10-05-2020), mapleloaf (10-06-2020), Pens Fan (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020), sonyfever (10-05-2020), steve_97060 (10-05-2020), Tony Pac (10-05-2020), TSX69 (10-06-2020), Vicious Type S (10-05-2020) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I've stayed because I have been a Acura/Honda loyalist since the 90s. But when it was time to update from my 2010 TSX with 169K on it, Acura didn't offer anything I was liking ( I don't like the Accord and it's too big for my needs). Acura teased with the release of the updated TLX for months and I could no longer wait. The first gen TLX was outdated and had a poor transmission. The head unit was just marginally better than what I had that was a decade old. I moved to an A4 but always said I'd move back to Acura if I liked the update. Right now based on what I'm reading, I like the A4 enough not to come back to Acura. I saw the new model yesterday. It's a good looking car (except that stupid radar sensor which really looks cheap), but it doesn't move me enough to sell my current ride. I don't fling hate here, but I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially after spending years on this board.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLYGUY31:
pyrodan007 (10-05-2020), RedOctober (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 02:26 PM
tehLEGOman

I'm probably gonna end up taking one of the TLXs for a test drive soon, more than likely after the sun goes down so i can get a feel of the ambient lighting.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec and Platinum Elite (Advance) SH-AWD Comparison and Review - So

Old 10-05-2020, 04:09 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Let's steer the conversation back to the topic - discussion around 2021 TLX reviews.

If you want to have a personal off topic conversation please use a PM.
Good idea. Maybe we can talk about those review it’s pretty thorough.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Well I had a 2004 TL that was and is probably my favorite Acura ever made. I also have a 2014 MDX, however i'm not blindly loyal to auto makers. There is absolutely no reason to be devoted to one brand the way some of you are. Unless you're on the Board of Directors and are getting paid from sales. Otherwise I find it weird when people defend massive corporations like car companies because of their personal decision to buy their product. If somebody better comes along i'll go with them which I have. I look at things Objectively and so far what I'm seeing is the TLX is over priced and under delivers. I hope the Type S comes out the gate strong but so far I'm having serious doubts about that. They already have 1 MAJOR strike in price, there is no way to defend the price point this car is starting at when you can't even option it how you want and it will most likely be slower than the competition.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kense:
04WDPSeDaN (10-05-2020), FLYGUY31 (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 04:47 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Maybe we can make a new forum called the ghosts of Acura owning past lol
ESHBG (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Hahaha. Acura just drives their current owners toward Audi that's why there's so many here and guess what, looks like I will be joining them soon as well... Priced out an Aspec lease in Canada and they want $800 txs included on a 48 month lease. Are you f**kn kidding me. You can get an S4 for $860. The concept just brought so much hype but the actual execution falls very short especially in the performance section. Let's see how the sales go.
The following 6 users liked this post by dmski:
04WDPSeDaN (10-05-2020), ESHBG (10-05-2020), FLYGUY31 (10-06-2020), Jiten Patel (10-06-2020), kurtatx (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:14 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Hahaha. Acura just drives their current owners toward Audi that's why there's so many here and guess what, looks like I will be joining them soon as well... Priced out an Aspec lease in Canada and they want $800 txs included on a 48 month lease. Are you f**kn kidding me. You can get an S4 for $860. The concept just brought so much hype but the actual execution falls very short especially in the performance section. Let's see how the sales go.
S4 or M340i

Come to the dark side

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 10-05-2020 at 07:17 PM.
ESHBG (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I'm just waiting for Acura to take itself more seriously....

...still waiting

Other than that, @thoiboi, @Yumcha, @rockstar143 , and the ghosts of @Majofo and @TacoBello keep me here.

Also tons of other members. Love AZine
The following 7 users liked this post by kurtatx:
04WDPSeDaN (10-05-2020), ESHBG (10-05-2020), Neoforever (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020), rockstar143 (10-05-2020), thoiboi (10-05-2020), Yumcha (10-05-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

If a TLX is priced the same as a C300, 330i, or A4, the Acura needs to be able to substantively outperform those cars. If it performs on par with them, it needs to be priced about $5,000 less. If it can’t perform as well as those cars, it should be about $10,000 less. I say this only because after all this time Acura still hasn’t done enough to address the brand positioning in the minds of the car buying public. I would seriously be willing to pay Audi/Bimmer/Mercedes money for an Acura if it can clearly outperform those cars. This is why I was really hoping the Type S would have ~400 hp for a start. I hate sounding like a broken record, but why isn’t this line of thinking registering with Acura’s decision makers? Sigh...
The following 4 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020), RedOctober (10-05-2020), sonyfever (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:21 PM
Safety Car

Considering that a quick scan of the new posts shows that most are in threads that has nothing to do with an Acura, I’d say this place would be a ghost town if it was limited to only Acura owners talking about Acuras.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
kurtatx (10-05-2020), pyrodan007 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
If a TLX is priced the same as a C300, 330i, or A4, the Acura needs to be able to substantively outperform those cars. If it performs on par with them, it needs to be priced about $5,000 less. If it can’t perform as well as those cars, it should be about $10,000 less. I say this only because after all this time Acura still hasn’t done enough to address the brand positioning in the minds of the car buying public. I would seriously be willing to pay Audi/Bimmer/Mercedes money for an Acura if it can clearly outperform those cars. This is why I was really hoping the Type S would have ~400 hp for a start. I hate sounding like a broken record, but why isn’t this line of thinking registering with Acura’s decision makers? Sigh...
I can’t agree more. I think something that people who haven’t had experience with the competition don’t understand is that Acura is far far behind when it comes to the soft product. The other competitors make you feel like a VIP even if all you bought was a “lowly” $30K CLA. The reason is because they are banking on you coming back to purchase that C or GLE or S class in the future as your get older. Once you get a taste of that, it’s hard to go back. Acura just doesn’t seem to care about grooming current owners; the soft product is marginally better than that of Honda, if even.

Now, some people may not care about this and only care about the hard product, but there’s still a price tag that can and should be applied to the soft product.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), RedOctober (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I can’t agree more. I think something that people who haven’t had experience with the competition don’t understand is that Acura is far far behind when it comes to the soft product. The other competitors make you feel like a VIP even if all you bought was a “lowly” $30K CLA. The reason is because they are banking on you coming back to purchase that C or GLE or S class in the future as your get older. Once you get a taste of that, it’s hard to go back. Acura just doesn’t seem to care about grooming current owners; the soft product is marginally better than that of Honda, if even.

Now, some people may not care about this and only care about the hard product, but there’s still a price tag that can and should be applied to the soft product.
You put it in a better way than I did.

And for the staunch Acura supporters please try not to see this as someone bashing the brand. The sooner Acura realizes that superior hardware is pretty much the only way to compensate for the absence of those intangibles that Fiatlux is talking about the sooner it can regain the faith of the long-term clientele.

Edit: I’m sure many people here remember when the Nissan GTR (R35) finally made its debut here in North America. Their whole strategy was “here’s a better performance car for less money”. I mean...it worked, didn’t it? They brought a bazooka to a gunfight and the rest is history.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 10-05-2020 at 07:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
ESHBG (10-05-2020), Neoforever (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Acura cuts off power on the 2.0T to protect the tranny/drivetrain. I have zero confidence that they won't do the same in Type S. It will practically be the same thing but slightly beefed up. You just know that compromises will be made. Just don't trust them anymore.
The following 3 users liked this post by dmski:
04WDPSeDaN (10-05-2020), Neoforever (10-05-2020), RedOctober (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Acura cuts off power on the 2.0T to protect the tranny/drivetrain. I have zero confidence that they won't do the same in Type S. It will practically be the same thing but slightly beefed up. You just know that compromises will be made. Just don't trust them anymore.
LOL...thanks for extinguishing the last glimmer of hope I had for the Type S!

Maybe this whole thing was a missed opportunity. Maybe they should have just kept the output levels of the motor in its Honda CTR guise and offered a manual gearbox to go with that. The auto tranny would get the detuned engine. I remember they did this with the original NSX, because the one I bought for my then girlfriend was an auto and it had less power than my manual one. At least they would have one version of the TLX that can boast 300+ HP.

It’s just a thought.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
I didn't lease one but I'm in an Audi S5 (er Hyundai Optima ) as there was really nothing in Acura (aside from the NSX which I can't afford) that interested me.
pyrodan007 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:22 PM
tehLEGOman

Has anyone watched this more times than i have?!

The following 2 users liked this post by ACCURATEin:
mapleloaf (10-06-2020), Yumcha (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
That's a cool vid!

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**