2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-a...e-dont-429652/

1. Elevated Drive

Acura TLX exhibits sporty pep when you need it and offers cruising comfort when you’d rather have that. The overall effect is a premium driving experience, which can be further enhanced with selectable driving modes that actually do quite a bit to vary your drive. Comfort mode offers a smooth, town-car-like ride, while Sport mode jacks up the firmness without making the suspension too aggressive.
Either an uniformed reviewer, or they also drove an Advanced but referenced the comment with a picture of an ASpec, which doesn't have the adaptive suspension.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Received 1,273 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
Either an uniformed reviewer, or they also drove an Advanced but referenced the comment with a picture of an ASpec, which doesn't have the adaptive suspension.
I see nothing wrong with what the review wrote. He's talking about the different drive modes (ie. Comfort/Normal/Sport) which every TLX has. Sport mode does firm up suspension.

You may be thinking of the "Adaptive Damper System" only found on the Advance trim.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ELIN
I see nothing wrong with what the review wrote. He's talking about the different drive modes (ie. Comfort/Normal/Sport) which every TLX has. Sport mode does firm up suspension.

You may be thinking of the "Adaptive Damper System" only found on the Advance trim.
Um, isn't that what I said? Only the Advance has an adaptive suspension that affects the damping when the different drive modes are selected. Therefore, Sport mode on the ASpec has no effect on the suspension. They're using photos of the ASpec, but referencing the suspension of the Advance without explaining that the adaptive suspension is an option only found on the Advance.

If you have an ASpec and you think your suspension changes in Sport mode, you need to research the difference in suspension between the ASpec and the Advance.

Last edited by Carnage719; 11-07-2020 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Um, isn't that what I said? Only the Advance has an adaptive suspension. Therefore, Sport mode on the ASpec has no effect on the suspension. They're using photos of the ASpec, but referencing the suspension of the Advance without explaining that the adaptive suspension is an option only found on the Advance.

If you think your suspension changes in Sport mode, you need to research the difference between the struts on the ASpec and the Advance.
I stand corrected. Only the Advance can change firmness of the suspension.
Carnage719 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Racer

I stand corrected. Only the Advance can change firmness of the suspension.
NP
Old 11-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
MotorTrend review is up.
They found transmission polarizing and put a 0-60 at 7.0 seconds (wtf?)
TSX69 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Pro

Received 510 Likes on 248 Posts
Motor1 did a TLX vs Lexus IS review...
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/45335...lx-comparison/
...spoiler: they picked the TLX
TSX69 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
In the table they called IS "2021 Acura IS 350 F Sport". Sometimes, I think us everyday folks care more than these reviewers about their articles.
ELIN (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Drifting

I would probably file this under "least anticipated comparison of the year" though perhaps one of the few comparisons the TLX could win outright.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,445 Likes on 1,892 Posts
Originally Posted by Neoforever
MotorTrend review is up.
They found transmission polarizing and put a 0-60 at 7.0 seconds (wtf?)
Bad review!

Good review!

Did I do that right?
Old 11-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Musing the other day about trim levels on the TLX, and the concern of some who would prefer the ASpec trim with Advance/Elitefeatures such as HUD, auto power folding mirrors, heated rear seats, etc. In 2018 when Acura introduced the ASpec in Canada, we had 5 different trim levels to pick from for EACH of the SH-AWD 6 cylinder (dropped the FWD 3.5) and the 4 cyclinder versions:
- Base 2.4 or 3.5 SH-AWD
- Tech 2.4 and SH-AWD
- Tech ASpec 2.4 and SH-AWD
- Elite 2.4 and SH-AWD
- Elite ASpec 2.4 and SH-AWD

10 trim levels in all!

BTW, all the non ASpec versions had twin tail pipes similar but smaller to the 2021 TLX. In 2019 & 2020 they dropped the Elite and Elite ASpec versions of the 2.4, one of the reasons I snapped up the last 2018 2.4 Elite ASpec. With all of these choices provided previously, it would be interesting to see if Acura looks at returning to offering one extra choice to the current 4 TLX choices (Canada)- an Elite/Advance ASpec version. Certainly, it would make sense for the Type S, but so too for the 2.0 version. I for one would think the price difference over a standard Elite/Advance model would be fairly nreasonable, as you would be able to shave off some of the additional charge, given that the ASpec and Elite/Advance have overlapping features. Of course, the pandemic and sales may push such things further down the road.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Musing the other day about trim levels on the TLX, and the concern of some who would prefer the ASpec trim with Advance/Elitefeatures such as HUD, auto power folding mirrors, heated rear seats, etc. In 2018 when Acura introduced the ASpec in Canada, we had 5 different trim levels to pick from for EACH of the SH-AWD 6 cylinder (dropped the FWD 3.5) and the 4 cyclinder versions:
- Base 2.4 or 3.5 SH-AWD
- Tech 2.4 and SH-AWD
- Tech ASpec 2.4 and SH-AWD
- Elite 2.4 and SH-AWD
- Elite ASpec 2.4 and SH-AWD

10 trim levels in all!

BTW, all the non ASpec versions had twin tail pipes similar but smaller to the 2021 TLX. In 2019 & 2020 they dropped the Elite and Elite ASpec versions of the 2.4, one of the reasons I snapped up the last 2018 2.4 Elite ASpec. With all of these choices provided previously, it would be interesting to see if Acura looks at returning to offering one extra choice to the current 4 TLX choices (Canada)- an Elite/Advance ASpec version. Certainly, it would make sense for the Type S, but so too for the 2.0 version. I for one would think the price difference over a standard Elite/Advance model would be fairly nreasonable, as you would be able to shave off some of the additional charge, given that the ASpec and Elite/Advance have overlapping features. Of course, the pandemic and sales may push such things further down the road.
Just get an Advance/Elite and have the dealer install the full bodykit and the A-spec steering wheel. Even if you bought the A-spec, you’d probably still be tempted to install the body kit anyway so that’s a no-brainer. The A-spec steering wheel that you order from the parts department includes the heat function, has aluminum shift paddles, and only costs US$475 or something. Acura will not be building Advance/Elite A-specs of any model going forward (according to the sales manager at my dealership) and honestly, I think the PMC Edition is kind of dumb given there’s only one colour choice which might not be to a buyer’s liking whatsoever.
mapleloaf (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Just get an Advance/Elite and have the dealer install the full bodykit and the A-spec steering wheel. Even if you bought the A-spec, you’d probably still be tempted to install the body kit anyway so that’s a no-brainer. The A-spec steering wheel that you order from the parts department includes the heat function, has aluminum shift paddles, and only costs US$475 or something. Acura will not be building Advance/Elite A-specs of any model going forward (according to the sales manager at my dealership) and honestly, I think the PMC Edition is kind of dumb given there’s only one colour choice which might not be to a buyer’s liking whatsoever.
By the time you add up all these options, TLX no longer makes sense. Might as well buy something better altogether.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
By the time you add up all these options, TLX no longer makes sense. Might as well buy something better altogether.
Lol, the TLX makes no sense long before you add up all those options. I was merely stating what’s possible.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
ELIN (11-09-2020), jaywmtl (11-10-2020), pyrodan007 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Canadian review
https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/202...-drive-review/
Old 11-10-2020, 11:51 AM
Drifting

54365 CAD is equal to less than $42,000 US. That is the close to the negotiated price of my A-Spec. What a difference in pricing!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

It’s a class-competitive engine that provides good thrust once past the initial laggy business of spooling up and waiting for the 10-speed auto to kick down. Plant your foot at highway speeds and you’ll be waiting a couple of beats before all systems are on board with your request.
Hm, where have we heard this before...
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-10-2020), Neoforever (11-10-2020), pyrodan007 (11-11-2020), Tesla1856 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Think the reviews are going to fall into two piles as the magazine staffs turn over. The Sport type performance oriented reviewer is going away & the nice family car oriented people are coming in.

Find it interesting that both Acura & Toyota have issued sheep in wolfs clothing with flaps, scoops, vents, ground effects but no horsepower. As long as a car looks like a sports sedan its Mission Accomplished.

They type S may give Acura an actual sports sedan but that is yet to be released & the bar has been pushed quite a bit higher than what their target looks like based on weight & power estimates.
Neoforever (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think the reviews are going to fall into two piles as the magazine staffs turn over. The Sport type performance oriented reviewer is going away & the nice family car oriented people are coming in.

Find it interesting that both Acura & Toyota have issued sheep in wolfs clothing with flaps, scoops, vents, ground effects but no horsepower. As long as a car looks like a sports sedan its Mission Accomplished.

They type S may give Acura an actual sports sedan but that is yet to be released & the bar has been pushed quite a bit higher than what their target looks like based on weight & power estimates.
I think the Type S has way too much pressure to succeed. I hedged that it would be too costly and not compelling enough to wait a couple more months. My sources say the Type S may hit dealerships by February.
The following 3 users liked this post by ELIN:
Neoforever (11-10-2020), pyrodan007 (11-11-2020), Shadow2056 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski

Or just wait until some aftermarket companies come out with a lip kit that fits the same but cost less.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Since we're jerry picking portions of the previous review....

"Overall, this new TLX’s sheet metal successfully blends elegance and athleticism".
"The sedan glides with impunity over almost all crappy surfaces (and there are many here in the Great Toronto Area), yet avoids feeling floaty. Whichever mode selected, there is always a sense of well-tuned refinement"
"The new 10-speed automatic is smooth, and an improvement over the outgoing – and occasionally jerky – eight-speed dual-clutch unit.
"Still, put the hammer down in the corner and the TLX’s clever all-wheel drive apportions the power appropriately; the car hunkers down and blasts forth".
"However, the TLX is a pleasant car to drive, and if you’re not intent on taking every on-ramp at ten-tenths (
who is?), its high luxury quotient and moderate sportiness make for an agreeable combination".
"many buyers should find the TLX’s style, interior appointments, swift pace and bucket-load of kit just the ticket. And that crazy-good ELS audio is icing on the cake".

Perhaps this reviewer captures the strengths and challenges of the 2021 TLX better than most. Although, I would suggest his reference to a slightly jerky 8DCT is somewhat dated. I haven't driven a car with a transmission any smoother and quick shifting than my 2018 DCT.
benjaminh (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow The Drive

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/37...-throw-a-punch

2021 Acura TLX Review: A Beautiful Dancer that Can't Throw a Punch

The new TLX still needs more excitement. Thankfully, the Type S is on the way.

ByPeter HolderithNovember 11, 2020
Peter Holderith SHARE

Peter HolderithView Peter Holderith's Articles
_baldtiresRolling alongthe highway, you'll notice the 2021 Acura TLX can steer itself quite well, brake for you with competence, and cruise down the interstate mostly on its own accord. Remove your hands from the wheel for a quick game of pat-a-cake with your passenger, and the car will alert you in a few seconds that driving is more important than baking a pretend cake. Acura, as a company, thinks so too. Above all else, the brand has pushed the new TLX as a car that's all about the driving experience, trying to claw back a brand image that has gradually drifted away from sporty and dynamic to reserved and kind of anonymous.

There's a lot to distract from that mission, though. So much, in fact, that I found it hard to find the car Acura wants everyone to see.The TLX, on the face of it, is good at so many things besides being a sports sedan that it's difficult for that part to really shine.

To that point, if all you want to hear is the Acura isn't quite as sharp as the new G20 BMW 3 Series, I'll tell you outright that it isn't. If you want the full picture, understand that judgment comes down to a few key areas—namely the four-cylinder engine and occasionally slow-shifting 10-speed transmission—while the rest of the new TLX remains an incredible value.

2021 Acura TLX 2.0T SH-AWD, By the Numbers

• Base Price (as Tested): $38,525 ($49,325)
  • Powertrain: 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder | 10-speed automatic transmission | all-wheel-drive
  • Horsepower: 272 at 6,500 rpm
  • Torque: 280 pound-feet at 1,600-4,500 rpm
  • EPA Fuel Economy: 22 city | 31 highway | 25 combined
  • Curb Weight: 4,026 pounds
  • Quick Take: A fantastic chassis that needs a more trustworthy drivetrain.

A New Tack for the TLX

The first thing you need to know is that it's no longer based on the Honda Accord as the previous generation was. That car was basically a nicer and slightly faster version of Honda's tried-and-true midsize sedan. Now, the TLX is on its own platform with a more sophisticated suspension, doing away with the all-too-common and conventional front struts in favor of superior double-wishbones. It also gets a de-tuned, 272 horsepower version of the Civic Type R's motor.

This car being tested isn't the sportiest version, though. There's a more aggressive "A-Spec" trim of this car that's available now—albeit with nearly all of the same parts—and a "Type S" model on its way, which is promising to be far more confident in terms of delivering smile-inducing driving dynamics. That car will have a 355-hp, turbocharged V6, adding another 83 horsepower and other driving-focused refinements to the mix.

Inside, Acura Steps It Up

But even without the sportiest trim level or 355 horses, you'll find the hood feels tremendously long from the driver's seat due to a cranked-up dash-to-axle ratio on the outside, and despite the car's low-slung, rear-wheel-drive appearance, it manages to have excellent visibility. The interior aesthetics are also some of the most unique in the industry, with a deep-set dashboard that makes the cockpit of the TLX's German competitors look flatter than Kansas.

There's plenty to explore on the inside besides the aforementioned lane-keep and radar cruise as well. Climate control is dual-zone and automatic of course, and the heat/ventilation function of the seats has an "auto" option. As far as I can tell, this does nothing. That being said, the seats are thankfully capable of getting a little too warm for comfort—staving off that never-quite-hot-enough shower feeling—and the powerful ventilation is easy to mistake for sweat evaporating on your back. The seats, in every sense, are great. The bolsters are adjustable, as is the lumbar support, and those plus other minor adjustments will display on the infotainment screen as you select them, leaving no guesswork when it comes to getting comfortable.

The rear seating is also comfortable, with heating optional. I found the back seat itself (I'm around 5' 10") to be somewhat lacking in leg and headroom, but the space is certainly adequate for children and shorter adults. It's the price you pay for suave looks, but it's money well spent.

Peter Holderith
In fact, the interior of this car is the part that really draws you in. It's quiet, everything feels solidand pleasant, and nothing—besides the one piece of glossy piano black right in the center of the dash—looks out of place. Really, that shiny black plastic should've just been the brushed aluminum material that surrounds the touchpad, but that's beside the point. The interior aesthetics of this car are excellent, even in tan.

While most automakers have embraced touchscreen controls for infotainment systems at this point—even Lexus has started going that way—Acura still believes in its trackpad.A few times I found myself just wanting to touch the dash-mounted display itself, however, this system is effective once you get used to it. The small touchpad utilizes absolute positioning, meaning it's proportionally linked to a location on the much larger 10.2" screen.

Pressing the top left of the touchpad, for instance, will select a menu item on the top left of the screen. There is no free-roaming cursor; selections just highlight themselves when your finger is in their vicinity and are activated with a physical click down. This system also allows you to trace out letters to spell things for the navigation, which can actually be done quickly and effectively, one letter right after another. It works objectively better than the trackpad Lexus was using for so long; it's nowhere near as frustrating as that system.

However, the nature of this system changes when you switch over to Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, both of which are compatible with this car. When you plug your device in, the touchpad suddenly works like a laptop with an invisible cursor, doing away with any "absolute positioning." It's frustrating to deal with this change, however, if you find yourself using either Android Auto or Carplay all the time, you won't be spending much time with Acura's infotainment anyway.

No matter what system you end up using, however, your music will sound at its best. As equipped, the 17-speaker, 710-watt system that comes with the $4,000 Technology Package was definitely above-average, with excellent bass, mid-range, and treble. If it's just you in the car, definitely balance it to only the front seats, it makes a difference and you'll enjoy it more.

The interior also shines—quite literally—at night. In conjunction with all the driver-assist features, the cabin's customizable accent illumination and cool white backlighting give it a first-class jet cockpit vibe on a darkened, empty road. Throw in the heated seats and steering wheel, and cold nights on the highway are something to look forward to.

Peter Holderith

2021 Acura TLX: The Drive

What is slightly less suave and airliner-esque is the TLX's engine. This car gets a more than adequate 272 horsepower from its turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, which is plenty for merging on the highway and passing, but it sometimes has the timbre of a cheaper car, especially at lower RPM and on downshifts. It's more powerful than the previous generation's V6, but it's out of character with the rest of the vehicle.

However, the transmission it's tied to swaps gears just great around town, changing between its 10 speeds seamlessly in places where you would expect it to falter. It exists quietly in the background, doing its work without head-bobbing upshifts or controversial downshifts in normal low-speed driving.It's also good on the highway, shifting quickly and quietly almost all the time. It works well with the all-wheel-drive system also, which I found out on some patches of snowy roads. Like everything else, it's competent and you'd never know it was fighting slippery conditions as hard as it was. With the proper tires, I'm sure this car wouldn't break a sweat during the winter.

But let me pause here. If you enjoy getting behind the wheel for a spirited drive, keep reading. If not, know that the 2021 TLX is excellent pretty much all the time. I looked forward to driving it just because of how nice the cabin was, and how undramatic everything about the car turned out to be. To sum up the entire vehicle in one word, it's zen.

"Zen" doesn't set the stage for a performance masterstroke, however. At least, not without the promised Type S treatment. It pains me to say this about a car I otherwise liked so much, but this TLX's behavior as a sports sedan just doesn't cut it.

Peter Holderith
As it is with almost all other cars these days, the steering is electric. If you're intending to drive this car aggressively, leave it in Comfort mode as opposed to the other "Sport" or "Normal" modes. It lacks any meaningful connection to the road and the heavier settings are just more effort for near-zero reward. At one point I found myself less curious about the steering and more curious about whether a pile of roadside manure was just steaming or actually on fire. The steering only begins to come alive at high cornering speeds, and I wonder whether anyone who's in the market for this car—including myself, theoretically—would actually drive it like that often enough to appreciate it.

The engine, at least in this more-than 4,000 pound TLX, also comes up short. It often sounds brash, lacking the typical turbocharged snarl of other similar performance engines in this segment. On downshifts, it doesn't sound extremely pleased, either. It also feels very turbocharged sometimes, and other times feels decidedly naturally-aspirated, seeming to run out of steam pulling towards redline. The power is there and is adequate, but uninspiring. You get the sense that the upcoming Type S with 355 horsepower, 354 lb-ft of torque, and an additional two cylinders is really what's needed.

The Verdict

But the TLX is far from lackluster when driven in anger, thanks to a phenomenal suspension setup. It's stiff but never punishing, predictable, and it quite literally gets tiring to try and throw it a curveball. Slow corners, fast corners, tight and sweeping, this car acts exactly the same, even at the limit. It feels neutral, tightly sprung, and damped well. And there's honestly no perceptible difference between Sport and Comfort modes here. Both get the job done.

Peter Holderith
In fact, the chassis is so good that it casts a shadow on the rest of this car's underpinnings, especially the transmission. As I said, it's perfect—and I mean perfect—for everyday driving at low and high speeds, but even in its "Sport" setting it falls short in demanding situations. On corner exit and during mid-corner adjustments, it's slow and unpredictable, and if you decide to flick the throttle wide open, it will consistently take more than a second to kick down into a lower gear. It's slow enough to be beyond a nitpicky detail; it's often inconvenient in situations like highway merging or passing.

Also, the paddle shifters are nearly pointless most of the time—10 gears are just too many to keep track of when you're driving fast. There's also no indicator on the otherwise excellent heads-up display for your gear position, which would help you navigate the car's excessive number of ratios. It wouldn't have mattered if it had that, though, because the transmission will often deny you gear changes to the point where it's hopeless trying to fight it. It also won't hold you in gear even if you beg. Trust me, I did.

No, this car doesn't need a manual transmission. Back it up with the ZF eight-speed out of the new 3 Series and this car would be a much tighter package. And I know it's not that simple, Acura engineers. I know.

Ending on a note like this wouldn't be appropriate, however. This car is a sports sedan, just not the sort whose bail you'd pay—indeed, it would never end up behind bars in the first place. Despite its sanitized behavior though, the TLX is a vehicle I liked to be seen in and a genuine contender in the segment, especially considering the base price of $38,525.

But the upcoming Type S will likely be better to drive andbe seen in. If you're looking to take on the serious sport sedans, that's the one you're likely going to want. This car is extremely competent and very comfortable, but it would never throw a punch when I wanted it to. It just seemed a little too cool to ever get that angry.

Email the author at peter@thedrive.com

Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Since we're jerry picking portions of the previous review....

"Overall, this new TLX’s sheet metal successfully blends elegance and athleticism".
"The sedan glides with impunity over almost all crappy surfaces (and there are many here in the Great Toronto Area), yet avoids feeling floaty. Whichever mode selected, there is always a sense of well-tuned refinement"
"The new 10-speed automatic is smooth, and an improvement over the outgoing – and occasionally jerky – eight-speed dual-clutch unit.
"Still, put the hammer down in the corner and the TLX’s clever all-wheel drive apportions the power appropriately; the car hunkers down and blasts forth".
"However, the TLX is a pleasant car to drive, and if you’re not intent on taking every on-ramp at ten-tenths (
who is?), its high luxury quotient and moderate sportiness make for an agreeable combination".
"many buyers should find the TLX’s style, interior appointments, swift pace and bucket-load of kit just the ticket. And that crazy-good ELS audio is icing on the cake".

Perhaps this reviewer captures the strengths and challenges of the 2021 TLX better than most. Although, I would suggest his reference to a slightly jerky 8DCT is somewhat dated. I haven't driven a car with a transmission any smoother and quick shifting than my 2018 DCT.
Think this just is some justification for my post about the nature of the reviewers. The items you CHERRY PICKED say it a really nice comfortable family car.

"blends elegance and athleticism" = sheep in wolfs clothing - it looks like a sports sedan mission accomplished.

"new 10-speed automatic is smooth" TSX69's review - As I said, it's perfect—and I mean perfect—for everyday driving at low and high speeds, but even in its "Sport" setting it falls short in demanding situations. the transmission will often deny you gear changes to the point where it's hopeless trying to fight it. It also won't hold you in gear even if you beg. Trust me, I did.Back it up with the ZF eight-speed out of the new 3 Series
and this car would be a much tighter package.
Verdict
Despite its sanitized behavior though, the TLX is a vehicle I liked to be seen in and a genuine contender in the segment, especially considering the base price of $38,525.

I think the Type S has way too much pressure to succeed. I hedged that it would be too costly and not compelling enough to wait a couple more months. My sources say the Type S may hit dealerships by February.
This is a yes & no. I said the reviewers are falling into two camps, nice family car with sporty looks & nice family car with muscles to go with the looks. I think the car can succeed to a point without the muscle to back the looks. There are away more people in mapleloafs camp than in mine. The goal of a car company is to make a profit selling cars. The TLX looks like a great fit with a shaky price. A bad car is hard to fix but a bad price can be adjusted with rebates discounts & dealer cash.

Could be wrong its happened once or twice before but I don't think Acura has any intention of going head to head with the three German companies. They want to be good enough to say they are in the game with clever advertising. If they were serious they would not be producing a 4,000 lbs car with 355BHP. To get a 4,000lb car under 4 seconds you are looking at Dodge Challenger/Charger horsepower.

My last car was 3710lbs with the M Performance option for 355BHP & could not do a sub 4 second 0-60 run if you dropped it off a building. Best runs were in the 4.2 range & 12.7@112
Currant car 3535lbs 382bhp 0-60 3.8 & 12.2@ 116mph
ESHBG (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Could be wrong its happened once or twice before but I don't think Acura has any intention of going head to head with the three German companies. They want to be good enough to say they are in the game with clever advertising. If they were serious they would not be producing a 4,000 lbs car with 355BHP. To get a 4,000lb car under 4 seconds you are looking at Dodge Challenger/Charger horsepower.
I agree that the TLX's true competition are not German cars in that they can't compete performance-wise. They are basically looking for table scraps in the $40k+ range against the likes of Lexus, Infiniti, and Genesis. That is their true competition.

If Hyundai and KIA weren't already cousins, we might have had more than one luxury Korean maker (the Japanese already have 3).

When my oldest starts driving, I'll get an Italian car to complete the Axis tri-fecta! :p
Old 11-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
It's not a bad looking car (but I do think that it kind of loses some of its looks at the rear) and seeing the interior at night, it is quite nice. IMO the Advance is the way to go, as the A-Spec is missing too many features and aesthetics alone can't really carry it for the price.

I don't like the increase in exterior size, the MPG and the current price so that's what would hold me back.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll get an Italian car to complete the Axis tri-fecta! :p
Go for it here is your ride

Per completare l'Asse Tri-Fecta! - Alfa

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-12-2020 at 02:41 PM.
ELIN (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I agree that the TLX's true competition are not German cars in that they can't compete performance-wise. They are basically looking for table scraps in the $40k+ range against the likes of Lexus, Infiniti, and Genesis. That is their true competition.

If Hyundai and KIA weren't already cousins, we might have had more than one luxury Korean maker (the Japanese already have 3).

When my oldest starts driving, I'll get an Italian car to complete the Axis tri-fecta! :p
With the size and weight of TLX Type S, i would be happy it its performance numbers and driving dynamics are atleast comparable to 540xi or E53 (in 4.5-4.6 sec 0-60). There is no way it can compete with 340xi or C43 on performance numbers or driving dynamics.
a35tl (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Go for it here is your ride

Per completare l'Asse Tri-Fecta! - Alfa
I actually considered the Giulia for a split second but decided against it based on its reputation of poor reliability. It makes a better weekend car rather than a primary commuter car.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:55 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/37...-throw-a-punch

Also, the paddle shifters are nearly pointless most of the time—10 gears are just too many to keep track of when you're driving fast. There's also no indicator on the otherwise excellent heads-up display for your gear position, which would help you navigate the car's excessive number of ratios. It wouldn't have mattered if it had that, though, because the transmission will often deny you gear changes to the point where it's hopeless trying to fight it. It also won't hold you in gear even if you beg. Trust me, I did.

No, this car doesn't need a manual transmission. Back it up with the ZF eight-speed out of the new 3 Series and this car would be a much tighter package. And I know it's not that simple, Acura engineers. I know.

Both made by ZF Friedrichshafen AG, why is the ZF eight-speed works so well for the BMW 3 Series, whereas the ZF nine-speed was so fucked up for the 1G TLX ?

Old 11-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Both made by ZF Friedrichshafen AG, why is the ZF eight-speed works so well for the BMW 3 Series, whereas the ZF nine-speed was so fucked up for the 1G TLX ?
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-on-the-leash/

The ZF8 was developed for performance for RWD longitudinal cars. The ZF9 was developed for efficiency and to be compact for FWD-based transverse cars. Based on those goals, the ZF9 was actually pretty successful. In cars like the Odyssey or Pilot, it's actually not that bad. Too bad the TLX isn't supposed to be anything like those cars though.
Edward'TLS (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:30 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by fiatlux
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-on-the-leash/

The ZF8 was developed for performance for RWD longitudinal cars. The ZF9 was developed for efficiency and to be compact for FWD-based transverse cars. Based on those goals, the ZF9 was actually pretty successful. In cars like the Odyssey or Pilot, it's actually not that bad. Too bad the TLX isn't supposed to be anything like those cars though.
Once again, it shows the simplicity of high-performance, high-power RWD-chassis vehicles over high-performance, high-power FWD-chassis vehicles. Even the tranny, designed for RWD cars, seems to perform better.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Two very basic reasons one of which cannot be fixed. To make the trans short enough to fit horizontally (ZF8 is a long mother) dog clutch assemblies were swapped in for two gears. The DC design an outer ring with inward facing teeth meshing with an inner ring with outward facing teeth requires very very very precise timing (software driven) not to clash like a missed shift on an manual transmission.

The second is programming. The faster you want the shift to be made the more precise the timing has to be.The timing of the gear engagement is programing which can be fixed to a point. Problem is there is a finite limitation on engagement speed caused by the basic design of the hardware.

If you drive a DC design & a ZF8 back to back its easy to feel the difference. The ZF8 uses classic clutch packs a series of friction & standard steel discs the slide together smoothly regardless of the engagement speed.

In a normal or comfort drive mode shifts are almost undetectable without looking at the tach while it shifts or the gear number on the instrument display. Floor it or drive in Sport, Sport+ etc you can feel the thump as the gears change. What you are feeling is the increased pressure being applied to the clutch packs to speed up them grabbing not gears trying to engage.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-13-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:16 PM
Drifting

This is a horrible comparison:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2021-au...down-to-price/

Other than a turbo 4-cylinder engine the A6 in the comparison has nothing in common with a TLX. The A6 is a mid-size sedan whereas the TLX is a compact inside a mid-size body. There's a huge gap in price because they serve different markets!
Old 11-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
This is a horrible comparison:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2021-au...down-to-price/

Other than a turbo 4-cylinder engine the A6 in the comparison has nothing in common with a TLX. The A6 is a mid-size sedan whereas the TLX is a compact inside a mid-size body. There's a huge gap in price because they serve different markets!
Closer than you think.

Acura said they modeled the TLX after the Porsche Panamera, but actually (it's cousin) the Audi-A6 is almost exactly the same size. They both have actual trunks, and I think they are similar looking sedans.
The TLX-2.0 is still slightly larger (with less room inside) and has a much larger turning-radius. The A6 with 2.0T is only about 100lbs heavier.
But just because Audi puts the 2.0T in it, doesn't mean anyone in the USA actually buys it that way. So "copying others" is not always a good thing. A sedan this big/heavy needs a V6 (like the Type-S with have) to be quick.
The v6-3.0T (335 hp) is the preferred A6 config (also now with a 48v Mild-Hybrid system). You can even get it with Night-Vision. But yes, more expensive.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 11-14-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Closer than you think.

Acura said they modeled the TLX after the Porsche Panamera, but actually (it's cousin) the Audi-A6 is almost exactly the same size. They both have actual trunks, and I think they are similar looking sedans.
The TLX-2.0 is still slightly larger (with less room inside) and has a much larger turning-radius. The A6 with 2.0T is only about 100lbs heavier.
But just because Audi puts the 2.0T in it, doesn't mean anyone in the USA actually buys it that way. So "copying others" is not always a good thing. A sedan this big/heavy needs a V6 (like the Type-S with have) to be quick.
The v6-3.0T (335 hp) is the preferred A6 config (also now with a 48v Mild-Hybrid system). You can even get it with Night-Vision. But yes, more expensive.
Any idea on the 0-60 on the A6 2.0?
Old 11-14-2020, 11:37 PM
6G TLX-S

Just make sure you also buy extended warranty if you plan to keep your new Audi for more than four years - the length of the standard factory warranty.

Audi vehicles tend to start having reliability issues right after the factory warranty expires at the 4 year mark.

ELIN (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 12:45 AM
Safety Car

Audi claims 6.1s, so real world it's probably 5.8s or 5.9s. Audi tends to be conservative with their acceleration numbers and on most of their cars the magazines tend to get faster times than their official times.
ELIN (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
It's right on the page after you build the car online. Yeah 6.1 like @fiatlux says .
But seriously, the V6 is better for just a bit more.

I think the Audi 261-hp 4-cylinder works more acceptably in the slightly smaller/lighter A4 and A5's .
ELIN (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Audi claims 6.1s, so real world it's probably 5.8s or 5.9s. Audi tends to be conservative with their acceleration numbers and on most of their cars the magazines tend to get faster times than their official times.
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
It's right on the page after you build the car online. Yeah 6.1 like @fiatlux says .
But seriously, the V6 is better for just a bit more.

I think the Audi 261-hp 4-cylinder works more acceptably in the slightly smaller/lighter A4 and A5's .
Ok. So the 2.0 A6 is basically ballpark with the TLX. Coming from that angle, I guess I can convince myself I saved $10k off a 2.0 A6 (and a Stinger GT-Line owner would have saved $10k off a TLX!).

I used to have a 2015 A6 Supercharged V6 Premium Plus that retailed for only a little more than a current 2.0 A6 Premium Plus. It was the toughest car I had to give up at end of lease to get the MDX. It was most definitely a driver's car!

Frankly I'm surprised the Acura fanbase hasn't come out in more support by putting more TLX's on the street. Having come from multiple luxury cars, this is only my 2nd Acura and so far it is well worth the low lease payment I negotiated.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Ok. So the 2.0 A6 is basically ballpark with the TLX. Coming from that angle, I guess I can convince myself I saved $10k off a 2.0 A6 (and a Stinger GT-Line owner would have saved $10k off a TLX!).
If comparing fully loaded TLX to base A6, sure it can be similar. But once you add the proper options to the A6, comparison stops fairly quickly. Different class of cars, even if Aura will disagree. Even as a sportier daily driver, Audi's V6T gets better gas consumption than the TLX, 9.7 vs 9.8 (l/km, combined).

Last edited by pyrodan007; 11-15-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**