2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 277 Posts
The RS5 specs: 444hp 443tq
59hp and 36tq less than the 2021 M4
59hp and 73tq less than the AMG C63S

Numbers on paper mean a LOT less on the street. The most ANY of you(the VERY small % that will actually get the Type S) won't be doing anything more than light to light encounters. If the SH-AWD does work, it'll be very competitive to others in it's class. The RS5 is a 4dr and was able to take down both cars with more power than it has from the dig. In a roll race was able to take on the C63S that has more power AND torque. So before you gripe about the power on the TLX Type S. Wait until it comes out and you actually drive it.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056

Numbers on paper mean a LOT less on the street. The most ANY of you(the VERY small % that will actually get the Type S) won't be doing anything more than light to light encounters. If the SH-AWD does work, it'll be very competitive to others in it's class. The RS5 is a 4dr and was able to take down both cars with more power than it has from the dig. In a roll race was able to take on the C63S that has more power AND torque. So before you gripe about the power on the TLX Type S. Wait until it comes out and you actually drive it.

https://youtu.be/4CB_cKA9kxE
Launch is all about getting power to the ground. A 4X4 Audi is tough to beat out of the hole with a RWD M4 or AMG. Roll race is a power race & the M4 just drove away from both the Audi & AMG because it has a lot more power & less weight. The BMW 4X4 system is being offered on the M4 as an option. Be nice to see the Audi & M4 have another go with both running 4X4 systems. Top of the series will be Completion package coupe, 503BHP, 8ZF & xDrive. Fast as hell, great track day car, but still with a F--k'in ugly grill.

Oldest daughter is getting an M4 Convertible. Will see if she will accept an aftermarket Grill as a Christmas present.

NC is a no front plate state to front will be clean.

The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
Flapjackura (03-12-2021), Shadow2056 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Numbers on paper mean a LOT less on the street. The most ANY of you(the VERY small % that will actually get the Type S) won't be doing anything more than light to light encounters. If the SH-AWD does work, it'll be very competitive to others in it's class.
Just noticed this & put in bold. Are talking about cars in the Video that have over 400HP at the wheels? The Type S if it has 355BHP may have under best terms about 320HP at the wheels. The TLX & the others are all pretty hefty around 2 tons so thats a wash.

So the question is what "class" is the TLX-S in? Who will the TLX S be competitive with in a traffic light Grand Prix? The M4, M340/M440, AMG C63S, RS5, S5?

These are the C&D numbers that count, time to speed & distance & C&D numbers that don't count like the BHP numbers which are total BS when referring to a German car from your list. Plus one addon a "normal" BMW model M440i that many people who will never buy an expensive true BMW M GmbHcarwill buy.

2021 RS5 0-60 mph 3.3 seconds, quarter-mile in 11.8 seconds at 115 mph. -
2021 AMG C63S 0-60 mph 3.7 seconds, quarter-mile in 11.9 seconds at 122 mph - skidpad: 1.02 g
2021 M4C 0-60 mph: 3.6 seconds, 1/4 mile: 11.3 seconds, no speed listed - NOTE M traction-control system that can be adjusted in 10 stages. 11.3 should put 1/4 speed around 130mph

Slow one
2021 M440i 0-60 mph: 3.8 sec, ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 115 mph, electric "supercharger" (48-volt mild-hybrid) & xDrive. C&D said "I’d be surprised if this car wasn’t making closer to 400 horsepower at the crank"

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-11-2021 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shadow2056 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Oldest daughter is getting an M4 Convertible. Will see if she will accept an aftermarket Grill as a Christmas present.
I don't know ... that pic if the red BMW looks pretty good to me (even the grill).

Interesting protruding piece on the inside of the side-mirrors ... maybe a camera or radar ?

Last edited by Tesla1856; 03-11-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

The RS5 is a 4dr and was able to take down both cars with more power than it has from the dig.
Thanks for the posting of these new cars.

Yeah, Audi did good once again. Audi V6 and quattro for the win.
Shadow2056 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I don't know ... that pic if the red BMW looks pretty good to me (even the grill).
That is the aftermarket grille. This is the factory one:

BEAR-AvHistory (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux

Sweet baby Jebus this face is ugly. No way I would fork 100k for this.
Shadow2056 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 04:34 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
It's no contest when comparing Quattro to SH-AWD when we're talking about launch performance. I'm surprised the C63S fared so poorly in the roll race. The speed they were starting at may have been a dead spot in the gearing ... though, with 9 gears, you'd think that wouldn't be an issue. It also weighs less than the rest. So, something is up.

Mind you, this is likely not going to be the case with the TLX Type-S. Everything from Acura has performed on par or under what you'd expect. They're not beefing up the drivetrain for a limited production model only sold in N. America to suddenly start doing hard launches. We'll know for sure in a couple of months when they finally release it.

And yea, the M3/M4 face is ugly. Better than the non-M 4-series, but still. I had a moment where I was starting to come around to it, but nah, it's ugly.

"Dukec let it slip that according to the company's own research, one in five people actually like the big kidney grille." Basically a round-about way of saying that 80% of the people dislike the grille. And I'm sure they were interviewing/surveying BMW fans. I'd wager non-BMW loyalists would be even more against the grille.

Source: https://www.thedrive.com/news/39086/...ts-new-designs

I'm seeing M340i's in the high-40k/low-50k range with low miles. Surprisingly, even with a tune, they have a tough time outrunning the F8x M3/M4 up top. I guess the turbo runs out of steam compared to the TT of the M3/M4. But yea, either way, no way I'm paying anywhere near sticker for an Acura product ever again. At least 10% off MSRP or I'm refusing to buy their doo-doo built Honda in a Karako suit. Which, being in the Northeast and the TLX Type-S likely being limited in number, is going to be highly improbable.
Shadow2056 (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 04:35 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Looks like the entire front bumper has to be replaced to rid the factory grille.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 277 Posts
Launch is all about getting power to the ground. A 4X4 Audi is tough to beat out of the hole with a RWD M4 or AMG. Roll race is a power race & the M4 just drove away from both the Audi & AMG because it has a lot more power & less weight. The BMW 4X4 system is being offered on the M4 as an option. Be nice to see the Audi & M4 have another go with both running 4X4 systems. Top of the series will be Completion package coupe, 503BHP, 8ZF & xDrive. Fast as hell, great track day car, but still with a F--k'in ugly grill.

NC is a no front plate state to front will be clean.
I figured the way BMW did the new M3 and M4, they would be walking away from the competition. I was surprised the Audi stuck with the AMG from a roll like it did having much less power and torque.

I hope you did get that grille for her man. BMW was smoking dirt....like literal dirt, when they designed that grille. Look ugly. Lol.

Just noticed this & put in bold. Are talking about cars in the Video that have over 400HP at the wheels? The Type S if it has 355BHP may have under best terms about 320HP at the wheels. The TLX & the others are all pretty hefty around 2 tons so that's a wash.

So the question is what "class" is the TLX-S in? Who will the TLX S be competitive with in a traffic light Grand Prix? The M4, M340/M440, AMG C63S, RS5, S5?

These are the C&D numbers that count, time to speed & distance & C&D numbers that don't count like the BHP numbers which are total BS when referring to a German car from your list. Plus one addon a "normal" BMW model M440i that many people who will never buy an expensive true BMW M GmbHcarwill buy.

2021 RS5 0-60 mph 3.3 seconds, quarter-mile in 11.8 seconds at 115 mph. -
2021 AMG C63S 0-60 mph 3.7 seconds, quarter-mile in 11.9 seconds at 122 mph - skidpad: 1.02 g
2021 M4C 0-60 mph: 3.6 seconds, 1/4 mile: 11.3 seconds, no speed listed - NOTE M traction-control system that can be adjusted in 10 stages. 11.3 should put 1/4 speed around 130mph

Slow one
2021 M440i 0-60 mph: 3.8 sec, ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 115 mph, electric "supercharger" (48-volt mild-hybrid) & xDrive. C&D said "I’d be surprised if this car wasn’t making closer to 400 horsepower at the crank"
Thank you.

I figured the Quattro system from Audi would take it off the line quicker than the other two. Even with the M4 weighing less. AWD will beat RWD off the line more often than not. I was surprised at how well the Audi kept up with the AMG having lower numbers.

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Thanks for the posting of these new cars.

Yeah, Audi did good once again. Audi V6 and quattro for the win.
Yep Yep! Seen one today and LOVED it. Always been a fan off the Audi S cars.

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Sweet baby Jebus this face is ugly. No way I would fork 100k for this.
Exactly my thoughts. Lol.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I kind of like that stock grill on the Bimmer, esp the vents on the side of the nose, that Red in mean also.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Looks like the entire front bumper has to be replaced to rid the factory grille.
The nose on the BMWs are typically one piece & different for different lines like base vs M-sport, 330i, M40i etc. Same with my Z4.

One difference may be I can change the grill inserts to all black or a few other combinations they offer in about an hour for a few hundred dollars. The M4 parts look more complicated with moving intake slats.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Should have added for the Z4 a replacement skin from BMW is $750. No numbers for the aftermarket M4 skin yet.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Terragotti
I kind of like that stock grill on the Bimmer, esp the vents on the side of the nose, that Red in mean also.
Agree on the red - best one they had in a while. My favorite blood red is the Soul Red Crystal Metallic on my granddaughters CX5.

Also like the M4 vents. One of the differences between the performance cars & a lot of regular cars with simulated vents, the performance car vents are actually functional. A bit of overkill but the Z4 has about 13 functional intake & extractor vents in the nose, body side & rear panels The M4 should be just about the same number as a lot of the understructure is the same.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow RoadShow

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-acura-tlx-long-term-update-infotainment-tech/

2021 Acura TLX long-term update: The infotainment learning curve

Our TLX's True Touchpad interface is tricky to learn but easy to master. Mostly.

Emme Hall

April 2, 2021 2:00 a.m. PT

Listen
- 05:57
Enlarge ImagePhantom Violet Pearl looks so much better in person than in photos.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow Our long-term 2021 Acura TLX is an easy-to-like luxury sedan, and we've been piling on the miles in recent months. But rather than talk about its pleasant on-road manners or nicely appointed interior, today I'd like to focus on what might be an initial stumbling point for some buyers: the infotainment system.

The TLX uses what Acura calls an "absolute-positioning" touchpad, controlling a 10.2-inch display. Essentially the pad is mapped one-to-one with the screen. When I tap on the lower-left corner of the pad, the icon on the lower-left corner of the screen is highlighted. It took me a hot second to figure this out, since it's not a typical trackpad setup like what you find on a laptop or inside a Lexus. But now that I've lived with the TLX for a few weeks, I've really gotten used to this interface. But it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

Please welcome the 2021 Acura TLX to Roadshow's long-term fleet

See all photos +28 More The touchpad measures roughly 2 inches by 1.5 inches, and there's a padded resting place for my wrist. You can change the touchpad's sensitivity levels between low and high, but I honestly didn't notice a difference. Ahead of the pad are hard buttons for Back and Home, as well as a toggle that changes the right third of the screen between navigation, audio information and a clock.

When you first start the car, the multimedia screen presents large tiles for navigation, vehicle settings, Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, Sirius XM radio, USB audio and a Wi-Fi hotspot. A quick swipe to the right brings up pages of other tiles like phone and Bluetooth audio. Swipe left across the pad and all the apps are listed in alphabetical order. A long press on the touchpad allows me to delete a tile from the home pages, but I can't figure out how to move a tile between the pages themselves.

The positioning system is neat, and on most screens the tiles are large and uncrowded enough to provide the needed wiggle room to use this tech while driving. On the audio pages for satellite and terrestrial radio, the bottom third is reserved for presets, with smaller tiles to switch up categories and channels for Sirius or scan and tune on terrestrial radio. It's pretty easy to miss those smaller tiles and accidentally select a preset when I really just want to just move up a channel.
Enlarge ImageThe main touchpad measures roughly 2 inches by 1.5 inches.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow On other systems, adding a preset is usually a long tap on a station tile and boom, it's done. However, in the Acura, I have to click on the bottom third of the screen and then go over to the end of all my presets to find the Add Favorite tile. Sounds intuitive, but it isn't.

Going back to the home screen, when I tap on navigation, there are two large tiles overlaying the map, one for Find and one for Nearby. Tapping on Find brings me to a page with menus for Search, Browse, Recents and Downloaded Places. Below those tiles are my saved favorite addresses. By tapping Search I get a handwriting or keyboard option. The handwriting option allows me to physically write in an address, though it's a slow process. The keyboard option is just as frustrating, however, as it is very difficult to use with the absolute positioning tech. There are just too many little divisions within a QWERTY keyboard for it to be feasible with one-to-one mapping.

Fortunately, the TLX has voice recognition, though it sometimes takes a few tries to understand harder-to-pronounce streets (like where I used to live, on Mokelumne Avenue). When I asked for a "drug store," it didn't find a local CVS or Walgreens, but instead gave me options with the actual phrase "drug store" in the name. If you want a Rite Aid, just say "Rite Aid."
Enlarge ImageYou're better off using voice controls for the navigation system.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow The Nearby page includes options for gas stations, coffee shops, restaurants, fast food, ATMs, banks and parking. In Settings, I can set my route calculation for faster time, shorter distance or a balance of the two. I can also minimize routes with traffic, highways or toll roads. You can change the map layout between 2D and 3D, and whether you want the map to rotate around the car or default to North up top. I wish there was an easier way to just mute the voice guidance without having to dig into a menu, but oh well.

The rest of the system works as advertised -- as long as I can tap the correct spot on the pad. I can customize driver-assistance settings like the forward-collision warning distance, blind-spot monitoring system, lane-keeping assist and road-departure mitigation settings. There are a number of cool ambient lighting options I can fiddle with, too, and hey, you can actually set Acura's tech to speak English, French or Spanish. What better way to practice a foreign language than with a robot who won't judge your terrible accent?

Again, the Acura's initial learning curve is steep, but once you've spent time in the TLX the operation really smooths out. What's frustrating, though, is that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto do not work with the absolute positioning, and instead, the touchpad functions like a swipe pad. You have to make individual swipes to toggle between the different buttons on the Apple and Android screens, which is super annoying.
Enlarge ImageThe steering wheel has a lot of buttons and controls, but they're all easy to use.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow Getting away from the touchpad for a moment, the TLX has a multifunction steering wheel, and it truly lives up to that name. There are 11 buttons as well as 2 scroll wheels that also toggle left and right. When I push the Apps button on the left side of the steering wheel I can use the scroller to dial through navigation, phone, audio and the like on the 10.5-inch color head-up display, and then click the wheel to select. If there are options within that selection they are accessed by pushing the wheel left or right.

The scroll wheel on the right controls the information displayed on the 7-inch screen between the gauges, giving me access to fuel economy, maintenance, speed, tire pressure, the all-wheel-drive system's power delivery and more. Some of these screens have selectable items, some do not. Often a screen will include directions, like "toggle left to exit" or "push to change." If you have to put user directions right on the screen, maybe your system isn't actually that intuitive.

However, the hard buttons on the steering wheel are great and neatly organized. On the left hand side are buttons for steering wheel heat, audio on/off, voice recognition, the aforementioned apps and a back button. The right hand side is where controls for adaptive cruise control and traffic jam assist live.
Enlarge ImageWe've put about 7,000 miles on our TLX so far.
Steven Ewing/Roadshow Finally, the controls for the head up display, heated windshield, parking sensors, traction control and gauge lights are all on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Here, too, is a hard button to quickly turn the driver-assistance features on and off, instead of having to go into the infotainment system. This is great when I want to go for a nice drive on a twisty backroad and want to turn off the lane-keeping alert. Nothing will stop me from taking the racing line. Nothing!

I'll admit, my first few days with our long-term Acura TLX were frustrating as I learned to use the touchpad. But now that I've lived with it for a while, I actually prefer this setup to the nonpositioning touchpad that Lexus uses. I promise you will, too. Just give yourself some time to learn all the ins and outs.

StealthTL-S (04-09-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:36 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey319
is anyone's transmission very jumpy and kind of jerky at lower speeds? It hesitates quite frequently when rolling in the parking lots around the 5-15mph speed. Mine also tends to jerk a bit when coasting down from 35mph tp 28mph and it keeps my RPM revved around 2k. It has overall not been feeling great when shifting. I am quickly not loving this car any more and almost wish I went with another Maxima.
Damn if this post isn't bringing back painful 2015 flash backs when us early-TLX-adopters got burned by that awful 9-speed and early-build transmission problems - also exposing the catastrophic collapse of Acura customer service and customer support.

I was about to ask any current owners here, is the TLX worth owning yet? I'm still sore about how bad my 2015 was, maybe even more so because I had VERY happily owned six Acura's before then. We own zero now and haven't since 2017 when we last dumped the MDX for an X5 after I dumped my TLX in 2016 for a Lexus (I actually paid to get out of the lease early). But I've been keeping my eye on the 2021's, probably a tad more interested in the Type S. Just curious if Acura has redeemed itself yet.
RedOctober (04-09-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
any review that pretty mostly focuses on an infotainment system is pure stupidity
RedOctober (04-09-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
Damn if this post isn't bringing back painful 2015 flash backs when us early-TLX-adopters got burned by that awful 9-speed and early-build transmission problems - also exposing the catastrophic collapse of Acura customer service and customer support.

I was about to ask any current owners here, is the TLX worth owning yet? I'm still sore about how bad my 2015 was, maybe even more so because I had VERY happily owned six Acura's before then. We own zero now and haven't since 2017 when we last dumped the MDX for an X5 after I dumped my TLX in 2016 for a Lexus (I actually paid to get out of the lease early). But I've been keeping my eye on the 2021's, probably a tad more interested in the Type S. Just curious if Acura has redeemed itself yet.
My transmission has been very smooth thus far. Just have experienced some turbo lag in comfort mode. That goes away in sport mode. Turbo lag a known issue with this car; doesn't really bother me but I don't have a lead foot.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:26 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Flapjackura
My transmission has been very smooth thus far. Just have experienced some turbo lag in comfort mode. That goes away in sport mode. Turbo lag a known issue with this car; doesn't really bother me but I don't have a lead foot.
The transmission can occasionally be a little slow to upshift in normal mode. In sport it sings very well. I have to admit to experiencing some jerkiness in sport initially. This went away at about the 1,500 mile mark. It’s been very smooth since then. The 10 spd is far better than the ZF9 and in my opinion mapped better in the TLX than the RDX. In sport it is quite responsive with little to no hesitation. Turbo lag is minimal.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Honda430
The transmission can occasionally be a little slow to upshift in normal mode. In sport it sings very well. I have to admit to experiencing some jerkiness in sport initially. This went away at about the 1,500 mile mark. It’s been very smooth since then. The 10 spd is far better than the ZF9 and in my opinion mapped better in the TLX than the RDX. In sport it is quite responsive with little to no hesitation. Turbo lag is minimal.
Back in 2015, there was a lot of discussion that the transmission "learned" from your driving style and dialed itself in accordingly. Wondering if that carried over to the 10 speed?
StealthTL-S (04-09-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
I kind of keep my car in Normal mode and really haven't much of a turbo lag, just once in a while. But your right about the sport mode, feels like a different engine under the hood. A lot of get up and go in Sport, kind of like it lol. I now have 1,900 miles and loving this car.
StealthTL-S (04-19-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Back in 2015, there was a lot of discussion that the transmission "learned" from your driving style and dialed itself in accordingly. Wondering if that carried over to the 10 speed?
The thing about the 2015 was that it seemed to unlearn just as quickly as it learned. I owned one so I know. Unlike a few I didn’t get mad at Acura because I should have never purchased the car. I was hesitant about the introduction of the ZF 9 on a first year model then bought anyway even after they delayed the introduction by 2 months. That simply was stupidity on my part.

As to the current 10spd, there is some anecdotal based chatter both on the Honda and other Acura forums that there is a break-in period before optimal performance is obtained. I’ve not been able to find any thing official yet that was my experience with both my 2019 RDX and my current TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
RedOctober (04-09-2021), StealthTL-S (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 AM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I have a 2019 Acura RDX with the 2.0 Turbo engine. The auto 10 speed transmission is very nice. It's a very nice car, and is very fast as well. It looks like many things will be the same or nearly the same in the 2021 TLX as my RDX. Same 2.0 Turbo engine, same touch pad interior, same control panel. All I can say is in Sport Mode (which I leave my RDX in) it is very fast and the TLX is lighter than my RDX. I will be looking more at the TLX. It is really a nice , fast, smooth drive in my RDX in sport mode. Gotta believe the TLX will be a very nice ride in Sport Mode as well.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 895 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
I have a 2019 Acura RDX with the 2.0 Turbo engine. The auto 10 speed transmission is very nice. It's a very nice car, and is very fast as well. It looks like many things will be the same or nearly the same in the 2021 TLX as my RDX. Same 2.0 Turbo engine, same touch pad interior, same control panel. All I can say is in Sport Mode (which I leave my RDX in) it is very fast and the TLX is lighter than my RDX. I will be looking more at the TLX. It is really a nice , fast, smooth drive in my RDX in sport mode. Gotta believe the TLX will be a very nice ride in Sport Mode as well.
Most reviews have been positive and there are more and more of them on the road. I've had mine since Halloween but still haven't seen too many in the wild.

I think the Type S coming out next month should increase sales of the 2.0 as well. There will be folks willing to "downgrade" when dealers won't budge from MSRP for the Type S.
StealthTL-S (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 12:43 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN

I think the Type S coming out next month should increase sales of the 2.0 as well. There will be folks willing to "downgrade" when dealers won't budge from over MSRP for the Type S.
Fixed for ya. Hehe.

Agreed tho. They’ll likely start a marketing push as well for the Type-S, which should drive some more people into the dealerships. When people look at the near $60k (or higher, depending on greed of your local stealership) Type S and compare it to an A-Spec that could be had for $20k less with incentives, I’m sure there will be a number of people who will take the trade off.
ELIN (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

For Type-S money you have LOT of options. I would stay away from Type S for 1-2 years, and let them fix all the issues.

I personally decided not to touch Acura for next 2-3 years.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RedOctober
For Type-S money you have LOT of options. I would stay away from Type S for 1-2 years, and let them fix all the issues.

I personally decided not to touch Acura for next 2-3 years.
I had such a long, positive run with Acura I took it on faith that a new design (the TLX) would be safe, in spite of the conventional wisdom that would warn someone away from new model in it's first year. Any Acura I consider in the future would be as you say - on it's 3rd year at least for me. They are going to have to prove it.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:59 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
We also have a 2019 RDX (Tech S-AWD) that we got 2 years ago and a new 2021 TLX (Tech S-AWD) that we got 3 weeks ago. The driving experience of these cars is similar in some ways due to the transmission, but different in others: Like you, our RDX is always in sport mode, but sport mode in the TLX keeps the RPMs high, so I keep it in "normal" most of the time. A quick flick of the knob can throw it into "sport" quickly, if necessary. Also, the TLX has an "individual" mode, which can be customized. The TLX's handling is naturally much more agile (lower center of gravity). Interestingly, except for the height, the TLX is actually a bigger car than the RDX. It's 0.4 inches wider and 7.8 inches longer, however, the RDX is 44 lbs heavier.

2019 RDX:

W 74.8 (-0.4)
L 186.8 (-7.8)
H 65.7 (+9.3)
Weight: 4026 (+44)

2021 TLX:

W 75.2 (+0.4)
L 194.6 (+7.8)
H 56.4 (-9.3)
Weight: 3982 (-44)
The following 2 users liked this post by robnalex:
Shadow2056 (04-10-2021), StealthTL-S (04-13-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I had such a long, positive run with Acura I took it on faith that a new design (the TLX) would be safe, in spite of the conventional wisdom that would warn someone away from new model in it's first year. Any Acura I consider in the future would be as you say - on it's 3rd year at least for me. They are going to have to prove it.
I had 2006 Acura TL 5AT for 10 years! Best car ever. But now Acura is not on my list of next car... I sold Infiniti Q50 this March because of transmission. I will buy BMW or Lexus this fall
Old 04-09-2021, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by RedOctober
I had 2006 Acura TL 5AT for 10 years! Best car ever. But now Acura is not on my list of next car... I sold Infiniti Q50 this March because of transmission. I will buy BMW or Lexus this fall
Had my 2006 TSX for 10 years too. The car was bullet proof.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:47 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
https://driving.ca/acura/tlx/reviews...ura-tlx-a-spec
Old 04-12-2021, 08:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,127 Likes on 2,564 Posts
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec Long-Term Update | How's it handle?

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/08/...te-6000-miles/

Old 04-12-2021, 09:16 AM

Interesting article. I bet Acrua was hoping for something other than handling like, "an absolute peach". But it sounds like they got the driving dynamics right.

And then we get this:

As happy as I was with the handling, I was nearly equally as frustrated with the transmission. Acura’s 10-speed automatic in the TLX just doesn’t perform when you ask it to, and the problems seem mostly software-based. Even with the car in Sport mode and the “S” transmission button pressed on the “PRNDL,” it’s helpless on a twisty road. Time and time again, the car would shift up into higher gears when I didn't want it to. That left me and the 2.0-liter turbo-four hung out to dry around 2,000 rpm mid-corner or on corner exit, right when you want the rpms to take advantage of the torque-vectoring AWD system.
And there it is. Transmission is the weak spot. Again.

Say it with me Acura - ZF 8 speed. It ain't broke. No need to fix it.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 895 Posts
Interesting article. I bet Acrua was hoping for something other than handling like, "an absolute peach". But it sounds like they got the driving dynamics right.

And then we get this:

In full AUTO, the transmission is fine. Could the issue be integrating the response time from the manual paddle shifters to the transmission?
Old 04-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts

And then we get this:

If it behaves the same in the Type-S, game over. Higher weight and meh transmission == 5+s 0-60. It must be fully responsive in the Type-S duties, not only care about gas.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

And then we get this:

Unless Acura starts mounting engines longitudinally again, you are never seeing the ZF8 in one of their cars.
leomio85 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,127 Likes on 2,564 Posts

And then we get this:

ZF 8 speed is a longitudal transmission so it won't fit into a TLX. The TLX 10AT gearbox is a transverse transaxle (contains the gearbox and differential).
After the ZF 9AT dreaded delay shifting transaxle debacle (due mostly to sync'ing up 3rd gear the dogclutch), I'm guessing Honda/Acura wanted to stay away from ZF products although the ZF 9AT is still in the Pilot/Ridgeline despite the new MDX and Ody getting the newer Honda 10AT.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
ZF 8 speed is a longitudal transmission so it won't fit into a TLX. The TLX 10AT gearbox is a transverse transaxle (contains the gearbox and differential).
After the ZF 9AT dreaded delay shifting transaxle debacle (due mostly to sync'ing up 3rd gear the dogclutch), I'm guessing Honda/Acura wanted to stay away from ZF products although the ZF 9AT is still in the Pilot/Ridgeline despite the new MDX and Ody getting the newer Honda 10AT.
well that's why I'm not an automotive engineer

I had a front row seat with the ZF 9AT's bad behavior. Even after the "fix", I felt like the transmission was downright unsafe in certain situations. My commute home has a merge where you are typically at 30-35 mph (where you'd be in 8th gear or so) or so and when you need to jump lanes onto the interstate you need to get to 70 mph fast. I recall 2-3 instances where I moved over with what appeared to be plenty of room, floored it, and the car just sat there not accelerating while it decided what gear to use. Almost got me rear ended a few times.

Anyway if the 10 behaved well under regular commute situations I'd be happy. My days of "hard driving" are few and far between.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:20 AM
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
If it behaves the same in the Type-S, game over. Higher weight and meh transmission == 5+s 0-60. It must be fully responsive in the Type-S duties, not only care about gas.
Really... Aspec does high 5's (according to some reviewers) and you want the type S to be in the same range.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmski
Really... Aspec does high 5's (according to some reviewers) and you want the type S to be in the same range.
Most reviewers are getting low-mid 6's. I can't explain why some are reporting high-5's...maybe they got a factory freak or there's one hell of a tailwind.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**