2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yeah & it makes no sense. Do you think the M4 that will run 0.99G on the skidpad is less of a sports sedan that the Type-S?

I'm guessing there is likely some valid reason for adding it. How much of a difference it makes, who knows.

For me, it's still better than the ski passthrough that I have on my 4G, which is enough for most trips to Home Depot. Otherwise I'll just spend $20 to rent the pickup or have it delivered. Completely a non-factor in my purchase decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by Camaro194:
djhtsx (05-07-2021), Nexx (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Camaro194
I'm guessing there is likely some valid reason for adding it. How much of a difference it makes, who knows.

For me, it's still better than the ski passthrough that I have on my 4G, which is enough for most trips to Home Depot. Otherwise I'll just spend $20 to rent the pickup or have it delivered. Completely a non-factor in my purchase decision.
Agree, The two potential valid reasons are the structure was too weak to take the loads imposed by the V6 package. Or the marketing department thought it was add a race car image. Guess for bragging rights it will be the only can that has one.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,442 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Agree, The two potential valid reasons are the structure was too weak to take the loads imposed by the V6 package. Or the marketing department thought it was add a race car image. Guess for bragging rights it will be the only can that has one.
I don’t think it was the marketing department; if it were they would have already given it cheesy name like the IconicStiff Rear Strut Brace
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-08-2021), RENARELLO (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 11:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
Or perhaps Honda/Acura chassis engineers wanted to strengthen the rear bulkhead structure to provide greater torsional and lateral stiffness to enhance suspension/chassis performance?

Something BMW didn't do on the E46 including the M3 models which resulted in cracked rear subframe mounts on the unibody chassis due to poor structural design/engineering of the E46 chassis which in general BMW didn't correct after warranty and in warranty provided a cheap poor solution of using hard foam injection to spread the load/forces. My brother's had five BMW's including a E46 convertible but fortunately sold it before the inevitable subframe mount cracking occurred. There are aftermarket gusseting sheet panels to enhance the load spread, some work others just allow the propagation of the load to further into unibody for other cracks to occur.

What's sad is Pro-E/SolidWorks both had FEA in their tools then, and if BMW would have mounted a car on a continuous hydraulic wheel platform they could have tested the E46 to destruction and discovered the inherent design flaw

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-10-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Or perhaps Honda/Acura chassis engineers wanted to strengthen the rear bulkhead structure to provide greater torsional and lateral stiffness to enhance suspension/chassis performance?

Something BMW didn't do on the E46 including the M3 models which resulted in cracked rear subframe mounts on the unibody chassis due to poor structural design/engineering of the E46 chassis which in general BMW didn't correct after warranty and in warranty provided a cheap poor solution of using hard foam injection to spread the load/forces. My brother's had five BMW's including a E46 convertible but fortunately sold it before the inevitable subframe mount cracking occurred. There are aftermarket gusseting sheet panels to enhance the load spread, some work others just allow the propagation of the load to further into unibody for other cracks to occur.

What's sad is Pro-E/SolidWorks both had FEA in their tools then, and if BMW would have mounted a car on a continuous hydraulic wheel platform they could have tested the E46 to destruction and discovered the inherent design flaw

Yeah the E46 produced from 1997 to 2006 had more than its share of faults. All of the ones still racing, & they are a huge class in club racing, have full cages to stiffen them & provide safety for the driver.E46 lead to BMW's crappy reliability reputation that took a number of years to reduce. That said its now 2021 & they don't seem to be ripping themselves apart with the current structure. Lots of defense of the TLX brace from people who whined about the back seats in previous generation limited trunk usefulness.

What surprised me in in 2021 after announcing that the TLX's Torsional Rigidity is up by 50 percent they did not build the structure strong enough to handle the Type-S loads without a brace.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
Yeah the E46 produced from 1997 to 2006 had more than its share of faults. All of the ones still racing, & they are a huge class in club racing, have full cages to stiffen them & provide safety for the driver.E46 lead to BMW's crappy reliability reputation that took a number of years to reduce. That said its now 2021 & they don't seem to be ripping themselves apart with the current structure. Lots of defense of the TLX brace from people who whined about the back seats in previous generation limited trunk usefulness.

What surprised me in in 2021 after announcing that the TLX's Torsional Rigidity is up by 50 percent they did not build the structure to handle the Type-S loads without a brace.
I'm guessing the engineers wanted as stiff a structure as they could design/engineer so they took a stiff chassis and made it stiffer. The K and V bracing are some of the most efficient geometric force/load structure there are in mechanical engineering. Acura/Honda are not the first to use it, many other cars have added it to their structural designs to stiffen up a chassis. K or V bracing are used all over modern unibodies, sometimes added exclusively to certain models.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-10-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Had to run out. Just wanted to add my own experience with the E46. Had a 2004 330Ci ZHP 6MT convertible. That was the M440 convertible of its time. Sold the car when I bought the 2013 135IS 6MT that I still have. The 04 had no major warranty work in the 4 year 50,000 mile limit. Brakes were pretty much to only mechanical parts replaced by BMW as freebies under the free maintenance package. After warranty I did all the work on the car. More sets of brakes, 4 O2 sensors, a main fault of the E46 top end gasket leaking oil about 90,000 miles. Spark plugs with the gasket since I had to remove some top end stuff. Two rubbery intake hoses dried out & had to be replaced. That was pretty much it over 125,000 miles,

The E46 was a reliability gamble but I figured I could manage it if something broke. Gamble paid off & the experience with that car led me to buy the 2011 335IS DCT. So far so good with all of them including the two that were modified.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I'm guessing the engineers wanted as stiff a structure as they could design/engineer so they took a stiff chassis and made it stiffer. The K and V bracing are some of the most efficient geometric force/load structure there are in mechanical engineering. Acura/Honda are not the first to use it, many other cars have added it to their structural designs to stiffen up a chassis. K or V bracing are used all over modern unibodies, sometimes added exclusively to certain models.
I understand bracing even though I am not a trained engineer. I did have 5 months schooling on armored vehicle recovery & repair in the US Army. Was section head with a pair of M-88's & crews to manage. I have also built cages & roll bars to NHRA standards.

I built this car from a 1981 280ZX T-Top. When you cut the roof off a closed car it has all the rigidity of a banana skin. It has a fabricated second frame including upper body work support. Car survived 3 kids going through high school & university, one on her first job. Car was donated to Make A Wish about 6 years ago when I needed garage room to built the car Nexx gets all upset over. The trunk lid is the T-Top rear hatch with the glass removed & sheeted over. A cowel was built behind the seats to connect the two sides & is tube supported. Top is a modified TR-8 frame with custom fabric.

It seems we agree that they added the brace to stiffen the unibody. Part I don't care for it they did not directly reinforce the unibody structure itself but added something JC Whitney would sell. Guess they were trapped into it by having to build to a price. Its a good inexpensive solution. But think how much nicer the whole lineup would be with the upgraded unibody. Marketing could say we stiffened the car by 70% instead of 50%. But based on a lot of the comments made here about how great the brace is I guess in this case they know their customers.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts

What surprised me in in 2021 after announcing that the TLX's Torsional Rigidity is up by 50 percent they did not build the structure strong enough to handle the Type-S loads without a brace.
It is best if the extra support is a square structure. Then at least the opening, no matter how small, can still be used.

But if a square brace doesn't cut it, what Acura should have done is to bolt the back seat shut to cover the /\ brace on the Type-S. What good is a backseat opening that can be seen through but cannot be used.

Just give the Type-S a non-fold-down back seat with a ski bag pass through, just as it has always been for the 4G TL.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It is best if the extra support is a square structure. Then at least the opening, no matter how small, can still be used.

But if a square brace doesn't cut it, what Acura should have done is to bolt the back seat shut to cover the /\ brace on the Type-S. What good is a backseat opening that can be seen through but cannot be used.

Just give the Type-S a non-fold-down back seat with a ski bag pass through, just as it has always been for the 4G TL.
If they bolted or welded the seat in know one could see the brace with "Type-S" on it that the YouTubers wet their pants over. Blame the marketing department? They can always say at least you can get some use out of the folding seat. Want to make a guess how many Type-S drivers with normally drive with the seatback down so the brace shows?

502bhp cars trunk brace solution not very cool or add worthy:

Old 05-17-2021, 06:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking CarDadBill

Old 05-19-2021, 11:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Not a review but good info for people that are trying to compare reliability of the German vs. Japanese cars: https://jalopnik.com/honda-and-acura...car-1846918768
This info was posted on True Delta's website. Well done Acura and Lexus for securing the first place!

The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
Flapjackura (05-19-2021), Legend2TL (05-19-2021), WTF.Acura (07-23-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Not a review but good info for people that are trying to compare reliability of the German vs. Japanese cars: https://jalopnik.com/honda-and-acura...car-1846918768
This info was posted on True Delta's website. Well done Acura and Lexus for securing the first place!
Great info. That picture of the blue ILX in the article is stunning. I just have to shake my head when I see the ILX - the textbook definition of unrealized potential if there ever was one. Such a gorgeous car (arguably better proportioned than the TLX -2). Acura needs to update the interior, add 7 more speakers to it's ELS system, and update the engine and power train, that's it - and then they'd have a worthy baby TLX than can genuinely compete with stuff like the A3. Exterior changes could be extremely minor and they'd have a winner.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Well I just got the new TLX as a loaner for my 21 RDX. I got the RDX after my old TLX lease

All I can say is wow. I instantly regretted not leasing the new TLX instead. It's faster. Drives better. The sound system is better. More luxury. Felt more comfortable behind the wheel. I honestly felt like home in it lol

I guess this taught me that I am not the type of person who wants a crossover suv when my lease is up

Sadly, I have 28 months left on the lease lol. Only put 1,800 miles on it though.

At least now I know I wouldn't have a problem leasing it in the future.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

They said :

"The data that ANcites specifically refers to “the lowest U.S. service and warranty costs [...] in the first three months of operation.”

Since you don't pay anything for warranty work or normal maintenance for 4 years/50,000 miles or so how does this chart work?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-19-2021 at 07:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (05-20-2021), jhb31 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
They said :

"The data that ANcites specifically refers to “the lowest U.S. service and warranty costs [...] in the first three months of operation.”

Since you don't pay anything for warranty work or normal maintenance for 4 years/50,000 miles or so how does this chart work?
Maybe the point is if you actually had to pay for the repairs the cost would be lowest. Kinda stupid in general since as you stated nobody actually pays for warranty work. Truth is Acura will be cheaper to maintain or repair out of warranty. I think most factor those type of costs in when they purchase one brand vs another. From my own experience Acura maintenance is very nominal cost wise in or out of warranty compared to what I would pay for my Audi or a BMW/Mercedes. I knew that going in so no surprise there. If the improved driving experience and performance is worth that cost is really an individual choice.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow AutoBlog

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/18/2021-acura-tlx-a-spec-long-term-update-drive-mode-selector/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9uZXdzLmdvb2 dsZS5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAA3QlUJkrmm8lIviF t2zlKp4OoZ7AAkxQe_YvimOxCZ4vHAApxDYScm4Ca62F1GwJbW cK0sZJ17Z1HODmNxPo5f6nuIMifzw4nbaaZv97TdiYvOliLX2K 7V2p2TqqJ_ExS-RnvMS1US0LJgizrFy3koJ14bVNXfRVNrWiSJoz5xg

2021 Acura TLX Long-Term Update | Drive mode selector is a surprise delight

It's a perfect example of how a physical control can improve the experience

Joel Stocksdale
May 18th 2021 at 11:00AM
You may have seen last week my column espousing the sensory benefits of physical switchgear in cars. They can add a bit of fun and character in the smallest ways. As it turns out, our long-term Acura TLX has a great example of this idea: the drive mode selector.

In most cars, drive modes are typically chosen via a nondescript button tucked away in the center console. Sometimes the selector is buried in an infotainment menu. But in the TLX, it’s a huge, gleaming knob placed front and center in the main control stack. It would be impossible to miss. It’s actually even more prominent than the buttons for shifting.

• 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec
  • Image Credit: Zac Palmer

With the size and placement, it’s a nice dial to grasp, and works with smooth action and a solid stop in either direction for flipping through modes. But what really brings it together is the speed at which modes are selected, and the sound the infotainment system makes upon choosing one. In some cars it can take a long time for the system to acknowledge your selection and engage it, but the Acura activates it nearly as soon as you’ve let the dial snap back to center. And it confirms your choice with sort of whoosh-y electronic clink through the speakers. It’s the kind of quick reaction and sound design you get from high-quality video game menus.

All of these aspects make the TLX nicer to use and feel more premium. It doesn’t feel like a hassle to change drive modes since it takes very little time and works well. That’s especially welcome if you like driving it in the sport mode, since the car defaults to the normal mode on start-up. It also makes the car feel like it has fast-acting software befitting a premium car.

It may seem like a small thing, but small things matter when cars have become so good. And I appreciate that Acura took its time with this seemingly little component.

Related Video:

Acura TLX Information

Old 05-20-2021, 11:42 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Looks like the drive reviews are starting to go out. Not a terribly in-depth analysis here but at least a first impression.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acur...-drive-review/
Old 05-20-2021, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Old 05-20-2021, 01:30 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Certainly looks and sounds like the TLX to own.....
Old 05-20-2021, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Honda430
Driver had trouble keeping up so can't take much away from the vid. There were aids out there to help him. Follow the path of the pace car, use the cones for the apex, watch the brake lights & corner distance markers for braking. Think his max on the straight was a shade over 100MPH.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Car and Driver's review here: https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post16721560
Old 05-20-2021, 02:55 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
They said :

1st of all, Jalponik claimed in their recent article that the TLX-S is a twin turbo V6, that's enough to write them off.
https://jalopnik.com/what-do-you-wan...ype-1846808326

As BEAR pointed out, "in the 1st three months"

And the comments are fucking gold because the article is ridiculous

Of course don't forget to smash the like post button because good vibes over actual facts.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
Driver had trouble keeping up so can't take much away from the vid. There were aids out there to help him. Follow the path of the pace car, use the cones for the apex, watch the brake lights & corner distance markers for braking. Think his max on the straight was a shade over 100MPH.
The pace car was usually the NSX. The idea was not to see IF it could keep up with it...obviously it's not built to do that. Just a great handling sports car to lead the
NON PRO drivers through the course. 100 mph...yep, saw that...OK...the point wasn't to see how fast these NON PRO testers could run that track. The Type S is not
a "track car" to begin with. It's a "sports sedan" with great handling, very strong power, lux inside, great ride, etc, Great all around "sports sedan" that to me is much
better that the A-Spec. As it should be.

Watch the review by www.tflcar.com. Paul is a pro driver and knows his tech. He did a GREAT job describing how the SH-Awd works....better than anyone else that is
part of the "car tester world" has explained it. He gave a real...honest perspective of this car based on his many years of racing and driving about everything out there.
He drove, while there, the Audi A4....bottom line....the Type S was much better. It outclasses that veh. by a long shot. Others??? we don't know for a little while.

All....IMHO.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Best reviewer/tester...IMHO

Watch Paul from www.tflcar.com give his analysis and driving impressions AND his great description of how the SH-Awd system works....so most anyone can
"get it" on how it "torque vectors." I've always known..since I've owned many Acuras with the system...and this 4th gen is the best.
He is a pro driver and tester and has driven most everything....and he doesn't have skin in the game....just honest impressions and gut feeling on how it handled
around the track and on the streets. I like how he drove it in Sport + without using the paddles....and that trans, especially configured for the Type S, shifted up
and down as needed. No, not the fastest shifting...it's not a dual clutch system...BUT, it was pretty quick...faster than the other TLX's since this trans is not
exactly the same. Mapped differently and the internals are built stronger, etc.

And folks....this is not a car built for the track...it's a "sports sedan." The Mustang GT500 was built for the track, and happens to be a very good street driving car too.
Appreciate the new Type S for what it IS and what it has to offer, esp. for the price point.
I think that if we all were to get some "seat time" we'd be very impressed...esp. IF we all keep in mind...this car was not built to beat every "hot rod" car out there. Let it
"stay in it's own lane"....and appreciate what it is. Don't compare it to a Corvette....LOL!! Or 500 hp sedans that cost almost twice as much.

Can certain sedans beat it by a few tenths zero to 60...sure...but, so what?! A great all around "sports sedan" is a sum of all it's capabilities....it's price point, how well it
holds up....repair costs...company reputation etc.
The following 4 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
frainc (05-20-2021), Honda430 (05-20-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (05-20-2021), Nexx (05-20-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
The pace car was usually the NSX. The idea was not to see IF it could keep up with it...obviously it's not built to do that. Just a great handling sports car to lead the
NON PRO drivers through the course. 100 mph...yep, saw that...OK...the point wasn't to see how fast these NON PRO testers could run that track. The Type S is not
a "track car" to begin with. It's a "sports sedan" with great handling, very strong power, lux inside, great ride, etc, Great all around "sports sedan" that to me is much
Agree the Type-S is not a track car.

As to the pace car actually they were supposed to keep up with him as he was showing them the correct line through the course which they should have followed. SOP for Charity Track Days "follow the leader" (non track licensed drivers) & early sessions of HPDS.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:25 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

love all of his POV drives. Good review.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
You'll have to pardon my venting a bit but, in reading up on as well as watching the reviews regarding both the regular TLX and Type S models, I can't help but think that each should be good for a participation trophy but really not worthy of any other awards. Another also-ran product by the brand still dependent on the laurels of the Honda Accord (which is still the clear benchmark for its segment). Please, just give me an Accord Sport 2.0T with the CTR's motor/6MT and SH-AWD and let's call it a day.

When it comes to 'sports sedans', I think this brand pretty much jumped the shark at this point. But I do look forward to seeing the MDX Type S.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 04:41 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
But I do look forward to seeing the MDX Type S.
Ha - they always keep you hangin on...
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-22-2021), F23A4 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts

Watch the review by www.tflcar.com. Paul is a pro driver and knows his tech. He did a GREAT job describing how the SH-Awd works....better than anyone else that is
part of the "car tester world" has explained it. He gave a real...honest perspective of this car based on his many years of racing and driving about everything out there.
He drove, while there, the Audi A4....bottom line....the Type S was much better. It outclasses that veh. by a long shot. Others??? we don't know for a little while.

All....IMHO.
A4? That’s not even what it’s supposed to compete with. The S4 is in no way outclassed by a TLX or slower than a TLX.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
A4? That’s not even what it’s supposed to compete with. The S4 is in no way outclassed by a TLX or slower than a TLX.
If the Type-S is indeed in the 4.7s range for 0-60, the 2021 A4's 0-60 of 4.8s by C&D makes it a closer competitor than what people think. It doesn't have the flashy brakes or bracing or sport diff, but if no one will track either car, then who cares right.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Reading some of the reviews & this popped up

Jalopnik
"The brakes are exceptional. The four-piston Brembos are strong enough to haul this big dude down from mega speeds in short order, repeatably, for at least three laps of Laguna Seca at a time. Good feel, good stopping, overall good."

C&D said

"those on-track TLXs were fitted with track-oriented pads that Acura promises to recommend to interested customers."

I had made a statement earlier about pads like HAWK being a good idea if you are going to push the 4200lb car. Also said the Brembos are exceptionally easy to change pads on.

Only problem I had with this on the test day is braking is a huge part of getting around the track quickly especially one like Laguna Seca & feel this is a cheat.....think C&D is the only one that said the brakes were ringers. If they were worried about brake fade they should have brought more cars to allow a cooldown period between drivers. Dropping from 100mph to slow corner speed take a lot out of a cars brakes.

I have done some flog the car by invitation & they always had enough cars to allow the use of all standard equipment parts. In one case on a two day session I killed the Michlen PSS front tires on an M240 before lunch on the second day. They replaced the tires with the same stock rubber that died a valiant death.

Jalopnik
"all that weight is still going to be hell on parts. Tires, suspension, brakes, fluids, and more will wear out faster as the weight of a car climbs. I’d hate to have the consumables and maintenance bill for a thing this stout and fast."

Things in common among the writers. All like the SHAWD (good reason to choose Laguna Seca over VIR). All thought it was a very good car. Most thought it was too heavy. Most thought it was underpowered. They all liked the brakes (see note above). Interior pleased everybody with only the touch pad thing being an issue for some. All seemed to like the Gold paint.

Personally the only shocker to me was Mr. Honda Jalopnik who gave the car an excellent review saying this in the last sentence

"From now until the day I die, every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited. Just not excited enough to buy one."

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-22-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
If the Type-S is indeed in the 4.7s range for 0-60, the 2021 A4's 0-60 of 4.8s by C&D makes it a closer competitor than what people think. It doesn't have the flashy brakes or bracing or sport diff, but if no one will track either car, then who cares right.
Then issue is the A4 isn’t supposed to be competitive with the Type S. That’s not good.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Pro

Reading some of the reviews & this popped up

Jalopnik
"The brakes are exceptional. The four-piston Brembos are strong enough to haul this big dude down from mega speeds in short order, repeatably, for at least three laps of Laguna Seca at a time. Good feel, good stopping, overall good."

C&D said

"those on-track TLXs were fitted with track-oriented pads that Acura promises to recommend to interested customers."

I had made a statement earlier about pads like HAWK being a good idea if you are going to push the 4200lb car. Also said the Brembos are exceptionally easy to change pads on.

Only problem I had with this on the test day is braking is a huge part of getting around the track quickly especially one like Laguna Seca & feel this is a cheat.....think C&D is the only one that said the brakes were ringers. If they were worried about brake fade they should have brought more cars to allow a cooldown period between drivers. Dropping from 100mph to slow corner speed take a lot out of a cars brakes.

I have done some flog the car by invitation & they always had enough cars to allow the use of all standard equipment parts. In one case on a two day session I killed the Michlen PSS front tires on an M240 before lunch on the second day. They replaced the tires with the same stock rubber that died a valiant death.

Jalopnik
"all that weight is still going to be hell on parts. Tires, suspension, brakes, fluids, and more will wear out faster as the weight of a car climbs. I’d hate to have the consumables and maintenance bill for a thing this stout and fast."

Things in common among the writers. All like the SHAWD (good reason to choose Laguna Seca over VIR). All thought it was a very good car. Most thought it was too heavy. Most thought it was underpowered. They all liked the brakes (see note above). Interior pleased everybody with only the touch pad thing being an issue for some. All seemed to like the Gold paint.

Personally the only shocker to me was Mr. Honda Jalopnik who gave the car an excellent review saying this in the last sentence

"From now until the day I die, every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited. Just not excited enough to buy one."
So that we can put his statement in context here is how he closed his review.

"Unfortunately, this whole segment of the market kind of falls flat for me right now. Everything got too big, too bloated, too heavy, and too technologically advanced. Acura’s most recent Type-S machine, the TL, weighed some 500 pounds less than this. Car And Driver’s Daniel Pund tested the OG Type-S — the gorgeous and capable 3.2CL — in period and called it out for being capable but not fun. “The Type S is so undeniably good, so well-produced, so good at the process of being what it is supposed to be,” Pund wrote, “that it has left us utterly unmoved.”

It’s a shame to say it, but the new TLX Type-S is more of the same. By that token, it’s perfectly representative of what the Type-S brand exists to do. It’s a damn good car, but it doesn’t stir the emotions the way I thought it might. It sure is quick, though.
If you buy one, get it in gold. It’s such a good color, and it shifts so beautifully in changing light situations. From now until the day I die, every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited. Just not excited enough to buy one."
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
That’s pretty funny. But just to put things back into the narrative that Acura has written, the S4 does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds (C/D) with slightly less power than the Type S. If the Type S didn’t weigh 400 lbs more than an S4, it could have been a contender.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:27 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
From Motor Authority...

It felt like the Type S was a bit of a pretender on a true racetrack. The double-wishbone front suspension and well-tuned steering held up nicely, but the rest of the car fell a little flat. I’m not sure that there is an easy fix for the TLX Type S as its shortcomings in this environment seem to be more a function of its front-drive architecture and overall heft. The car is rather heavy, tipping the scales at 4,221 pounds (or 4,200 pounds with the lightweight wheel/summer tires equipped). Competitors like the Audi S4 and Mercedes-AMG C43 weigh just under 3,900 pounds each. You don’t really feel the car’s weight on the street, but on a track its heft and imbalance are magnified. Rather than feeling especially agile, it feels like you’re wrestling physics at each turn.

While a nice effort, Acura exacerbated the existing imbalance/weight distribution (due to the FWD transverse layout) issue by making the TLX as big and heavy as it is - all the things like torque-vectoring, etc. are bandaids to mitigate the core issues, but you can't beat the laws of physics.

This isn't exactly reliability, but the cost to fix problems which arise over the first 3 months of ownership.

Porsche has been one of the tops with regard to reliability, but when something goes wrong, it's expensive to fix.

The cost is going to be less expensive, in general, for the brands which share a lot of components with their mainstream siblings.

The cost for Kia is higher than Hyundai in large part because it's more expensive to fix higher-end RWD models like the Stinger and K900 than something like the Forte.
The following 2 users liked this post by YEH:
04WDPSeDaN (05-22-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
They brought an S4 to the event, not an A4.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:50 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

My mistake...I realized later that Acura's target car...one of them...was the S4. To me, overall, I think the Type S is a better car. I looked at the S4.
Just my pers. opinion. There are cars for all of us out there. Pick the one you want. But, downing a certain one if it's .3 slower to 60 is silly. Go buy
what you all want. But, that doesn't mean that the Type S is "no good" or "too slow" or whatever. It's in it's "own lane" and doing great there. Not bad
for the price at all.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

My mistake...I realized later that Acura's target car...one of them...was the S4. To me, overall, I think the Type S is a better car. I looked at the S4.
Just my pers. opinion. There are cars for all of us out there. Pick the one you want. But, downing a certain one if it's .3 slower to 60 is silly. Go buy
what you all want. But, that doesn't mean that the Type S is "no good" or "too slow" or whatever. It's in it's "own lane" and doing great there. Not bad
for the price at all.
Just curious but what makes the TLX better in your opinion? They cost nearly the same and the Audi is better literally in every way except looks which are subjective. The interior is definitely better in the Audi and the transmission is as well. When getting the performance version of a sports sedan of you don’t care about how fast it can go why not just get the 4 cylinder one?
Old 05-23-2021, 12:22 PM
Pro

Just curious but what makes the TLX better in your opinion? They cost nearly the same and the Audi is better literally in every way except looks which are subjective. The interior is definitely better in the Audi and the transmission is as well. When getting the performance version of a sports sedan of you don’t care about how fast it can go why not just get the 4 cylinder one?
Front seat accomodations in the S4 are a bit tight. If you're a bigger person you'd probably be better off in trading the Type S' shoulder room for the 4 tenths of a second you loose from 0-60.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**