2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFan1980
I would like for them to simply just allow the trunk to open all the way when you try and open it. Even the TLX tech didn’t have that. Not sure if any TLX do. Something very simple that can make the car feel more premium
Yep. My wife always notices that ability in sedans (and rightfully so). The old Maxima opened all the way up when popped (strong simple-springs).
Seems like the Accord's used to when it was newer (but she stopped driving it). I'm curious now what happened.

With many moving to SUVs with power-lift, this small thing seems to have been forgotten.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-08-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,070 Likes on 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
All new TLX, but same old Acura....

is no one disappointed with this?

...when it should be more like this?

Not having a complete opening in the rear seat back chassis structure is to increase chassis torsional rigidity. Even having a ring "donut" like piece of metal around the "C" pillar/rood section support down to the floor pan does alot to reduce chassis twist. Acura spoke of this on the 3G TL in the press release. Other manufactures do as well.

Originally Posted by fiatlux

No USB ports or a 12V? That's a bummer. I'm also a little perplexed why they didn't pretty this up a bit. The rear seats look very good. The rear door panels look really good. This view...not gonna lie, looks rental car cheap. I know, I know, they need to cut costs somewhere, but it's these small details that are just maddening to me.
That surprised me, perhaps it's a preproduction model? But none the less, I find it difficult to accept no USB's in a mid-range sports sedan when even CRV's has two 2.5A USB-B for the rear seats.
I could see maybe not having USB-C but even some domestic manufacturers are putting them in there (IIRC Dodge pickups have them in the backseat)

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It is a pre-production car. Things may be different on the production model.
+1, some changes can still be made at this date.

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
1. that is the heated windshield button not defogger.
2. that is parking sensor off button not brake
3. agree but atleast the center display is large and is customizable. Type S will get red gauges which will look cool at night
4. they're last attempt at touch screen sucked and sounds like the true touchpad is still a work in progress. they need to copy Mazda approach for info system easy to use but looks premium.
2) The parking brake switch is at the bottom of the pic to the left side.
4) We have a touch screen in my wife's 2017 CRV, works great

Originally Posted by Jiten Patel
1. That button you see there is the Front Windshield Deicer, it is electronic and not related to the HVAC Front Windshield Defroster which is still in the center, it actually turns on by itself if the temperature is under -10 Celsius and then turns off so you don't have to even press it that often.
2. Parking brake is engaged automatically so it is not exactly necessary to have in the center since it does not need to be used at all, unless you choose to have that setting off.
3. Yeah I wish it was digital.
4. I actually like the touch pad idea because it is essentially a touch screen but you touch without even moving your arm since its "true touch". The touch mechanics are just moved closer to you, in that sense, its technically a touch screen.
1) to me it's disjointed design that should be with the other deicer switch like the rear deicer in the center stackup. Just bad UX
2) Didn't know that, I still prefer the parking brake with the other AT drive controls though
3)
4) I've only used touchpads a couple times at car events, kinda clunky to me. A true touchscreen to me is when you touch the screen,

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-08-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:38 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Not having a complete opening in the rear seat back chassis structure is to increase chassis torsional rigidity. Even having a ring "donut" like piece of metal around the "C" pillar/rood section support down to the floor pan does alot to reduce chassis twist. Acura spoke of this on the 3G TL in the press release. Other manufactures do as well.
The massive metal beam is a good thing. Firstly, this means that the lateral structure of the unibody chassis is reinforced to withstand massive side impact collisions. Secondly, this means the car is more rigid at the rear too (something similar to factory shock-tower bars used to strengthen the front end of cars), so as to allow the stiffer suspension components and the big brakes on the Type-S model to provide ultimate handling capability that a weak chassis cannot provide.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The massive metal beam is a good thing. Firstly, this means that the lateral structure of the unibody chassis is reinforced to withstand massive side impact collisions. Secondly, this means the car is more rigid at the rear too (something similar to factory shock-tower bars used to strengthen the front end of cars), so as to allow the stiffer suspension components and the big brakes on the Type-S model to provide ultimate handling capability that a weak chassis cannot provide.
The A5/S5 and 4 series don't have a massive visible beam in the drunk yet they seem to perform well. One of the selling points of the A4 was the massive opening to fit tables from Ikea or big screens from Costco. I understand it may help driving dynamics but this thing is no Ferrari, must be a good family car first. I'm part of the group that doesn't want an SUV, one good functional family car is enough.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-08-2020 at 10:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SebringSilver (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
The A5/S5 and 4 series don't have a massive visible beam in the drunk yet they seem to perform well. One of the selling points of the A4 was the massive opening to fit tables from Ikea or big screens from Costco. I understand it may help driving dynamics but this thing is no Ferrari, must be a good family car first. I'm part of the group that doesn't want an SUV, one good functional family car is enough.
In before someone says "if you want a family car, you should have bought an Accord".
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
amcobra (08-11-2020), Tony Pac (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 11:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,587 Likes on 955 Posts
In before someone says "if you want a family car, you should have bought an Accord".
i think an Optima
Old 08-09-2020, 08:05 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'm completely baffled by some of the responses here. Makes me wonder if they ever payed attention to the development of vehicles over the last few decades or we just stuck on one brand again? The more I read these "engineering wet dreams" comments the more I've consider picking up day drinking.
amcobra (08-11-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:30 AM
AZ Community Team

I heard dealers are taking preorders for The new TLX.

I assume officials reviews soon?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
At least Acura is offering leather as standard on most trims. It is hard to even get leather on many new BMW and Lexus models. With respect to the leather look, generally higher quality leather is softer and gets more wrinkles and stretches out. The cheap leather in my last Acura (TSX) was pretty hard, and did not show much wear during the 13 plus years I owned it.
A good friend of mine was a leather furniture buyer for a very large department store chain for 35 years. According to him, and I believe it, how hard or soft leather feels is more about how it is treated than the quality of the leather. And your last statement is exactly the conundrum they face. Do you want to pay an extra $1000 to have your leather soft then be pissed off because it looks like sh$t in a few years?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:51 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
A good friend of mine was a leather furniture buyer for a very large department store chain for 35 years. According to him, and I believe it, how hard or soft leather feels is more about how it is treated than the quality of the leather. And your last statement is exactly the conundrum they face. Do you want to pay an extra $1000 to have your leather soft then be pissed off because it looks like sh$t in a few years?
Plus - all the leather seats are coated with some type of plastic. Your arse never really touches leather.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Plus - all the leather seats are coated with some type of plastic. Your arse never really touches leather.
Ricardo Montalban has a lot to answer for!!
CheeseyPoofs McNut (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 02:08 PM
AZ Community Team

When Acura says listen to the 2021 TLX, you listen good

https://www.slashgear.com/2021-acura...rims-07632583/

Sound system review

There’ll be two versions of the ELS Studio system on the TLX. The entry-level car gets Acura’s basic audio package, with 10-speakers, 7 channels, and 350 watts. TLX Technology Package cars get a 13-speaker ELS Studio system, with 12 channels and 550 watts. Finally, the ELS Studio 3D system – with the 17 speakers, 16 channels, and 710 watts I was enjoying – comes on the Advance, A-Spec, and Type S trims.
mapleloaf (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:35 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
One never know if the A5/S5/4-series had a massive visible beam in the (t)runk, their handling performance would be even better than they are now.

Honda is best known for churning out good handling vehicles, even though their straight line performance leaves much to be desired. If they add a giant reinforcement in the trunk, it has to be there for a reason. The Type-S, and the regular TLX to a lesser extend, will be one of the best handling sport sedans around.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
The following 4 users liked this post by WTF.Acura:
B1ackAlloy (08-10-2020), benjaminh (08-10-2020), mapleloaf (08-11-2020), Nedmundo (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
One never know if the A5/S5/4-series had a massive visible beam in the (t)runk, their handling performance would be even better than they are now.

Honda is best known for churning out good handling vehicles, even though their straight line performance leaves much to be desired. If they add a giant reinforcement in the trunk, it has to be there for a reason. The Type-S, and the regular TLX to a lesser extend, will be one of the best handling sport sedans around.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but from the video it appears that the "beam" is simply just stamped sheet metal and completely hollow, meant to hide wires and cables. I highly doubt it meaningfully adds any structural rigidity to the car.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-10-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
So we are getting reviews about the stereo system, but no reviews on the actual car yet? Yeah that makes sense lol. Talk about dragging this sh.. out.
silverTL6 (09-06-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
Why does Acura like giving the red color of their TLX to see first
silverTL6 (09-06-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 01:19 PM
6G TLX-S

Sorry to burst your bubble, but from the video it appears that the "beam" is simply just stamped sheet metal and completely hollow, meant to hide wires and cables. I highly doubt it meaningfully adds any structural rigidity to the car.
In terms of structural design, any metal piece, especially 2-dimensionally shaped, that is rigidly attached to the unibody, will add strength longitudinally to the overall structure. This is the strategic location, which is in between the two rear shock towers, something similar to the OEM tower bar in between the 2 front shock towers.

Recall that many Honda/Acura OEM front sway bars are hollow, whereas the OEM rear ones are solid. So it doesn't mean that something hollow cannot add strength to the overall design.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 08-10-2020 at 01:22 PM.
amcobra (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 01:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Sorry to burst your bubble, you have no clue what your talking about.
The entire unibody monocoque is just stamped sheet metal, stamp formed and welded together. Alot of the elements are hollow box sections which increases their strength, especially in the floor pan. As to that that beam it probably adds to the torsional rigidity of the chassis and increases the survival structure of the cabin. Some mechanical engineer(s) probably spent week(s?) working that beam alone with the chassis/safety engineers, then production engineering to see how many die stamps would be needed to make it, then how many spot welds to attach it to the structure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
amcobra (08-11-2020), Edward'TLS (08-11-2020), mapleloaf (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Sorry to burst your bubble, you have no clue what your talking about.
The entire unibody monocoque is just stamped sheet metal, stamp formed and welded together. Alot of the elements are hollow box sections which increases their strength, especially in the floor pan. As to that that beam it probably adds to the torsional rigidity of the chassis and increases the survival structure of the cabin. Some mechanical engineer(s) probably spent week(s?) working that beam alone with the chassis/safety engineers, then production engineering to see how many die stamps would be needed to make it, then how many spot welds to attach it to the structure.
Is this a box though? Based on the second photo I'm not so sure.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Is this a box though? Based on the second photo I'm not so sure.
It's a "L" section of stamped metal spot welded to the seat back section and I'm assuming the cabin rear shelf panel (covered up by the felt trunk lining) which forms the box section.
And in addition it's welded on the sides to the rear strut towers. The seat back panel is visible through those two cable access holes.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:53 PM
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 263 Posts
Given that the dealers are getting these cars in September (excluding the Type S), should we not see a tonne of reviews already for this car. Weird, but it should not surprise us cause - Acura.....
silverTL6 (09-06-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:44 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Did they explicitly say September? I vaguely remember them saying "in the fall", which could be October/November at this rate. Having reviewers just listen to ELS with no test drives smells like they're trying to buy more time and try to keep the hype going. I'm sure someone here that works at a dealer could confirm delivery dates by now right? Wouldn't they have had to put orders in by now?
TVL65 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:49 AM
AZ Community Team

I heard from a few sources that it will hit the dealer by end of September.

So yes, reviews should start coming by early September. I know we all live in a difficult and different time now but what Acura did for the reviews of RDX was the best. Invite all the journalists to Vancouver and let them test drive

within 24 hours, 10+ reviews were out and it creates a good hype and also you see every journalists views. I doubt that will happen with the TLX.

once the car was out, then every reviewer did a thorough analysis. But now we need the first impression of the car
Speed_Racer (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 09:25 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Perhaps Acura has an embargo on full reviews, or is waiting until the last minute to pass out press cars so the reviews are fresh during launch? They built up a lot of hype with the reveal and it fizzled out without any updates. Maybe they learned from that, or they're strategically planning it as to market it as close to launch to get more emotional purchases during a time with new car sales are in a slump. It's a rather tumultuous time to be releasing a brand new vehicle, especially of the luxury variety.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-11-2020), Speed_Racer (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Wouldn't they have had to put orders in by now?
Yes, the first set is ordered and they are being built.

My dealer's salesman said "October", but one of the finance/closer guys said to not be surprised if they arrive a bit sooner than that. I think COVID-19 has added an unwanted variable. We will just have to wait-and-see.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16608561
Speed_Racer (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
TLX availability’

Production is not able to keep up with demand at the Ohio plants for Accords and Acuras. In some instances $1000 sign-on bonuses to attract workers. They also required administrative employees to work production and OT at the plant every other weekend. Marketing spin aside the pandemic continues to impact.
The following 4 users liked this post by amcobra:
ESHBG (08-11-2020), mapleloaf (08-11-2020), Speed_Racer (08-11-2020), Tesla1856 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Did they explicitly say September? I vaguely remember them saying "in the fall", which could be October/November at this rate. Having reviewers just listen to ELS with no test drives smells like they're trying to buy more time and try to keep the hype going. I'm sure someone here that works at a dealer could confirm delivery dates by now right? Wouldn't they have had to put orders in by now?
https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1421047
The man that runs TOV said, the TLX is going on sale 09/22.
The following 3 users liked this post by WTF.Acura:
a35tl (08-12-2020), benjaminh (08-12-2020), Speed_Racer (08-11-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,398 Likes on 702 Posts
Arrow Wards Auto

https://www.wardsauto.com/interiors/...-sounded-quite

Guns N' Roses Never Sounded Quite Like This

Acura’s redesigned TLX gets an updated ELS Studio 3D audio system with 17 speakers, twin subwoofers and 710 watts that can make anything “uncomfortably loud.”Sebastian Blanco | Aug 11, 2020

The new 2021 Acura TLX loves Guns N' Roses more than I do.

I've heard "Paradise City" a zillion times, like anyone else who went to junior high school in the late '80s. But I have never noticed the rumbling bass line quite like it sounds in the updated ELS Studio 3D audio system in the new sedan.

Developed together with Grammy-winning sound engineer Elliot Scheiner (pictured below) and Panasonic, Acura introduced the ELS Studio 3D system in the 2019 RDX, but the 16-speaker system had to be modified in the transition from CUV to sedan.

Specifically, the subwoofer driver needed to be split into 2 smaller speakers (which Acura calls the Twin Telford subwoofers, named after the 19th Century Scottish bridge designer) because there wasn't as much packaging room in the TLX.
AcuraThe two 5-in. (13-cm) speakers are still in the rear of the vehicle, corner-mounted and pointed inward at 13.5 degree angles above the trunk space to provide a similar experience for low-frequencies in either vehicle, even though the TLX has 17 speakers total.

Acura says this new setup reduces rattles and vibrations in the rear package shelf, and "ensures mechanical rigidity while delivering focused, low distortion bass."

Some of the TLX's speakers are there specifically to provide the rear seat passengers with better sound, including 3.5-in. (9-cm) rear door speakers, 2 Highline overhead speakers (3 are some up front, too, naturally) and 2 3.5-in. rear surround speakers.

Put it all together and the 16-channel, 710-watt ELS Studio 3D audio system (pictured below) is the most powerful ever installed in a TLX.

In fact, those 710 watts help the audio system get loud, perhaps a bit too loud.

Acura wasn't allowing journalists to drive the car just yet, which means there was no wind or road noise in the background during my test, but even so, I measured the volume at around 92-94 dB when the system was turned all the way up for a Pearl Jam song ("Dance of the Clairvoyants," if you're curious).

The CDC says prolonged exposure to sounds above 80 dB can result in hearing damage after two hours of exposure. Above 95 dB, that drops to 50 minutes, but it was uncomfortably loud after just a few seconds.

When it's not at top volume, the system sounds absolutely the best when you're listening to uncompressed audio in a 5.1 mix (2 words: Bohemian Rhapsody), which the TLX can accept through a USB port in the armrest console.

But even if you are streaming compressed audio from Pandora or Spotify, you can get decent sound from the ELS Studio.

Acura spokesperson Chris Naughton says the system's Compressed Audio Enhancement setting can take music with a bit rate less than 192 kB/s and improve the sound, even taking the low bit rate of Sirius/XM radio to "help it sound as enjoyable as it can be," he says.

2-channel files can be unmixed to 5.1-channel surround by the system's DTS Neural Surround setting to give the music more of a solid center sound while also taking "the unique left and right components and spread them around wide and to the rear of the listener. On some wide stereo sources, this can be quite revealing and entertaining, and shows off the reverberation and ambience imbedded in the original recording," Naughton says.

Whatever magic happens behind the scenes, there's no question this unmixed audio can indeed sound tremendous in the new TLX (pictured below). It even sounded good when I was singing along.
Acura
0 comments
Related
[/color]
benjaminh (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by amcobra
Production is not able to keep up with demand at the Ohio plants for Accords and Acuras. In some instances $1000 sign-on bonuses to attract workers. They also required administrative employees to work production and OT at the plant every other weekend. Marketing spin aside the pandemic continues to impact.
Factual figures would beg to disagree. Accord sales 2018 vs 2019 vs 2020:

April May June July
2018 21,751 28,212 26,726 24,927
2019 19,239 23,892 21,893 24,144
2020 8,851 17,369 15,409 17,221

I don't deny that production may be ramping up in the Ohio plant, but its likely more to do with the fact that production has been shut down for so long as opposed to any other factor. Sales are still slumping for most automakers across the board. Though they're ramping up compared to March when the pandemic hit the US, it's still a far cry from what they're used to seeing as far as demand.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?...tem_id=1421047
The man that runs TOV said, the TLX is going on sale 09/22.
OMG, it’s still two years away?

Yes, that’s how rumors and misinformation happens on the internet
Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjsC5
OMG, it’s still two years away?

Yes, that’s how rumors and misinformation happens on the internet
How is that misinformation the TLX goes on sale 09/22 ( September, 22), maybe you should learn how to comprehend.

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 08-12-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

How is that misinformation the TLX goes on sale 09/22 ( September, 22), maybe you should learn how to comprehend.
I'm pretty sure he's being facetious, maybe you should learn how to read between the lines.
ZipSpeed (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure he's being facetious, maybe you should learn how to read between the lines.
And your not the one being accused of spreading misinformation, so you can’t tell me how to respond to someone.😉😉
Old 08-12-2020, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

And your not the one being accused of spreading misinformation, so you can’t tell me how to respond to someone.😉😉
Geeze thin skinned much? Nobody accused you of spreading misinformation. It was a playful joke about how rumors start with misinterpretations of information by using your post as an example of how someone could misinterpret 9/22 to mean Sept 2022 and spread that rumor around.

I may not be able to tell you how to feel, but I sure can tell you the difference between your and you’re 😉😉
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (08-13-2020), pyrodan007 (08-12-2020), SebringSilver (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Tlx and accord production at marysville

Originally Posted by leomio85
Factual figures would beg to disagree. Accord sales 2018 vs 2019 vs 2020:

April May June July
2018 21,751 28,212 26,726 24,927
2019 19,239 23,892 21,893 24,144
2020 8,851 17,369 15,409 17,221

I don't deny that production may be ramping up in the Ohio plant, but its likely more to do with the fact that production has been shut down for so long as opposed to any other factor. Sales are still slumping for most automakers across the board. Though they're ramping up compared to March when the pandemic hit the US, it's still a far cry from what they're used to seeing as far as demand.

The following 2 users liked this post by amcobra:
04WDPSeDaN (08-13-2020), benjaminh (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM

I didn't say you were lying about them increasing manpower, but correlation does not equal causation. I gave you the facts. Sales are still down compared to last year for the past 4 months (longer actually) compared to last year. Whatever is causing the hiring increase, it's certainly not due to insatiable demand. Quickly looking at a couple other vehicles assembled there, every single model is down in sales. My best guess? Other plants around the country have shut down due to the pandemic but OH has stayed open, causing them to need to increase production. That's purely speculative though.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does anybody have the power output figures for the 2.0T yet? Is it going to be the same as the RDX’s 272hp?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Does anybody have the power output figures for the 2.0T yet? Is it going to be the same as the RDX’s 272hp?
Yes it’s already been confirmed by Acura
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (08-13-2020), SebringSilver (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes it’s already been confirmed by Acura
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**