2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
The TLX is no more a sports Sedan than a Camry. I see many average income families in Montreal whose only vehicle is a Corolla/Civic. Placing a better engine does not mean chopping off the back, in a manner of speaking. Place a tall person with family as the driver, and the back/car becomes useless.
You’re absolutely correct. The TLX has not been a sports sedan. Personally if my boys were still children and I could only have one vehicle there’s no way I’d be driving anything other than a SUV. For a family they are a much better option than a sedan.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
You’re absolutely correct. The TLX has not been a sports sedan. Personally if my boys were still children and I could only have one vehicle there’s no way I’d be driving anything other than a SUV. For a family they are a much better option than a sedan.
I fully agree, if the Stinger/Arteon/S5 SB vanish a crossover is for sure in my future due limited choices for functionality
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Just to put this out there an Acura dealer over in Vtec has sat in the TLX and said a 6’2” person was in the back and had plenty of headroom.

So maybe let’s wait to hear from more people...
Old 09-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I dont think the back space in the current TLX is all that bad, for 2 normal size adults. It's certainly better than a G70, which is more like an ILX. While the official specs are similar, the current 1G TLX feels much more spacious in the back than the G70. 2G TLX seems similar to the 1G. Certainly not worse, but not much better.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Interesting review - looking forward to more driving impressions but it sounds like Acura may have actually accomplished what they set out to do - created a more premium and sporty feel in a more attractive package.

I was actually more taken by the fact that only 30% of shoppers are looking for a sedan! I knew the station wagon, I mean SUV, was the top dog but didn't know the gap was that large.
Nice observation. Modern SUVs are really cross over vehicles that are modern looking slightly lifted station wagons. True SUVs are the gas guzzlers like Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner, GMC Yukon, and Lincoln Navigator.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Racer

Truth be told I would have EASILY bought an 3G RDX over my 1G TLX had Acura put a stronger V6 (say the 310hp with a 10 speed) , has 0-60 and 5-60 below 6s with smooth power, and significantly reduced the road noise. That would have been amazing.

I HATED the 3G RDX due to the unrefined slower powertrain and terrible road noise.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Cars.com posted a review 11 hours ago & pulled it later.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
Cars.com posted a review 11 hours ago & pulled it later.
What did it say? Anyone get the archive?
Old 09-21-2020, 06:29 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
What did it say? Anyone get the archive?
It looks more like a preview to be honest.

2021 Acura TLX Review: Subtle Changes, Big Improvements
By Aaron Bragman
September 21, 2020

Acura gets you, America — they know you’ve given up on sedans in favor of SUVs. But that doesn’t mean they’re giving up on you, especially since 30% of buyers still want a traditional sedan, according to the company. Acura also realizes that this means sedan buyers are now a much more focused group with specific vehicle desires that they’re not seeing fulfilled in today’s SUVs.

It’s for them that the company has redesigned and repositioned its latest TLX luxury sports sedan — people who are specifically seeking a sports sedan for themselves and maybe one other person in their lives, not a family hauler that sometimes needs to be an entertaining ride. The new TLX is first and foremost a driver-oriented sports sedan, with Acura’s newfound focus a pleasing gamble for people who still like sitting low in a vehicle.

Carefully Disguised as a Rear-Wheel-Drive Car
The new TLX sits on a new Acura-dedicated platform, according to the company, but the newness of this platform goes beyond its brand specificity. The design details are very interesting — the car looks longer, lower and wider than it did before, with the proportions of a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. It’s not one, however; it’s still very much a front-wheel-drive platform with optional all-wheel drive, but Acura has done things like stretch the wheelbase by 3.7 inches and increase the dash-to-axle ratio (the distance between the base of the windshield and the envisioned center point of the front wheels) by a whopping 7.8 inches. These give the new TLX a long-hood, short-trunk look that you most often see on RWD cars like the Mercedes-Benz C-Class or Alfa Romeo Giulia.

It definitely makes an impact on the TLX’s overall looks. While the styling is no great departure for the class (you could slap an Infiniti or even a Buick badge on the TLX and nobody would question the decision), it turns the TLX’s looks from “warmed-over Honda” to “segment-appropriate sports sedan.” Its best view might be from the side, where you get a good sense of just how “cabin-rearward” this front-drive Acura now is. It’s a successful restyle and the first bit of truly attractive, desirable rolling sculpture to come out of Acura in some time.

Going After the Remaining Enthusiasts
As good as the new TLX looks, we’ve often been disappointed by similar efforts that don’t deliver on the advertising. That’s not the case here: Acura has done its homework and delivered a proper sports sedan, designed to entertain its driver through an engaging driving experience (when you want it to). The overall sense is one of smoothness, in everything from the power delivery and chassis balance to the ride quality and astonishing quiet in the cabin. Not only does the new TLX no longer look like a warmed-over Honda, it no longer feels like one, either. The improvements to chassis rigidity combine with an improved weight distribution and redesigned double-wishbone front suspension to deliver a buttoned-down, properly premium driving experience, one that feels amazingly cushy in terms of ride quality but still delivers tight responses and proper body roll control.

What’s all that mean? It means that when you want to attack some twisty roads or highway on-ramps at elevated speeds, the TLX responds with eagerness. When you want to just sit back and cruise in serene, relaxed comfort, the TLX does that, too.

Acura changes up some of the suspension equipment depending on which of four trim levels you get: base TLX, Tech, A-Spec and Advance. All trims except the Advance get a standard sport suspension, and the Advance gets an electronic Adaptive Damper (shock absorber) system. Both are tuned to the softer side of the sports sedan spectrum, with the base suspension coming across as compliant and well damped, yet still keeping the TLX well under control on sweeping bends or quick transitions even on broken pavement.

The adaptive dampers in the Advance trim really do change the feel of the vehicle when you select between Normal, Sport and Comfort modes on the drive mode selector. Comfort is especially cushy, turning the TLX into a limousine-like ride I’ve experienced only in much larger, more expensive luxury cars. But even Sport mode’s firmer settings are still considerably softer than what you’d find in a comparable Mercedes-Benz or BMW with an adjustable suspension. That’s OK — it allows you to enjoy the car’s newfound torsional stiffness without being beat up by an overly aggressive suspension in the process. Suffice it to say that Acura has made a noticeably well-prepared base on which to build what is sure to be an extraordinary Type S high-performance trim.

Gone Is the Old V-6 Engine
Regardless of which trim you choose, the only powertrain option (for now) is a turbocharged 2.0-liter VTEC-equipped four-cylinder engine making 272 horsepower and 280 pounds-feet of torque. This engine replaces both the 2.4-liter four-cylinder and 3.5-liter V-6 in the old TLX, meaning that the base cars get a massive bump in performance, while the higher-trim cars see two cylinders and a few horses go missing, but an improvement in peak torque. The only transmission is a standard 10-speed automatic replacing last year’s nine-speed, with either standard front-wheel drive or optional torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD), available on all trims.

You won’t miss the old V-6 given how good this new turbo 2.0-liter engine is. It’s perfectly matched to the new 10-speed automatic, featuring smooth shifts and predictive behavior that always has the engine where it needs to be for producing either plenty of grunt or smooth sailing. It’s accompanied by some interesting sounds, however — it’s obvious that the exhaust noise is piped into the cabin (it appears to be coming from two directions, with two different notes, when you really floor it), as it doesn’t sound like a four-cylinder engine at all. It sounds more like a V-6 has been recorded and played back for occupants, which makes sense given the extraordinary level of sound deadening the TLX displays under all conditions. I don’t mind it, however, as it lends a snorty sound and feel to the engine, further reinforcing the TLX’s newfound focus on sporting pretensions. Later on, a new 3.0-liter V-6 will be introduced with the arrival of the top Type S performance trim, but that’s not arriving until early 2021 and was not yet available for test drives.

Stopping is also a positive event, with new electronically controlled brakes that Acura says were inspired by the ones used on the NSX supercar, which allows them to tune the brake pedal force and feedback. While I was not able to really get the brakes hot enough to test them for fade or feel with repeated aggressive use, they felt fine in normal operation in around-town and back roads use, without any artificial feel or wonky progression that can sometimes accompany electronic brake-by-wire systems.

An Upgrade to the Interior
The new TLX is more expensive than the outgoing one (more on that in a minute), but you never feel like you’re not getting what you’re paying for given the upgraded materials and technology in the cabin. The car is obviously designed to be focused on the front occupants only — they have the comfiest seats and more space between the driver and passenger, with all the soft-touch materials, hand-stitched dash coverings, real wood and real metal trimmings you can stuff into the interior. The backseat suffers from the new cab-rearward packaging changes that have made the TLX look like a RWD car — backseat legroom is pitiful, barely better than the Alfa Romeo Giulia’s completely unusable backseat, and headroom isn’t much better. I was unable to position the driver’s seat where I normally sit and then sit behind it without moving it forward; my head was hard up into the headliner, as well. The new TLX is meant to be driver-focused in more ways than just providing an entertaining experience — it’s also driver-focused in terms of who you bring along. If you’re looking for a vehicle to bring along the whole family, Acura will happily show you the new RDX SUV that features a number of the same new sporty features the TLX employs … but chances are, if that describes your needs, you were already looking at one anyway.

My test drive involved the two top trim levels of the TLX, the A-Spec (which features a more aggressive sport appearance package) and the Advance (which is a more sophisticated look but also features the electronically adaptive suspension). Both interiors have details to recommend them: The A-Spec’s beautiful red leather and metallic trim is striking, but the orange-on-silver gauges are as hard to read here as they are in the RDX. My preference is for the Advance’s more traditional interior colors, featuring beautiful light wood and more legible gauges. It’s a definite upgrade to the cabin and in keeping with Acura’s repositioning of the TLX upmarket, meaning that it’s gunning for more premium offerings such as the Audi A4, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and BMW 3 Series or even 5 Series. The difference between prior TLX models and this new one is that I’d actually put the new TLX up against these luxury stalwarts without reservation. That’s not something I’d do with prior versions.

All TLX models feature Acura’s new True Touchpad Interface control panel for the multimedia system — the standard 10.2-inch display atop the center console is just a display, not a touchscreen (not that you could really reach its far-off location anyway). The system itself works reasonably well, with easy-to-read displays and menus, but we’re still not entirely sold on the remote touchpad being the best way to control it. Anything that adds a layer of distraction between my brain and the system is troublesome, and while this remote control pad is better than Lexus’ remote control, I still really just want to be able to touch the dang screen and have it do what I want. I suspect that familiarity would breed acceptance with this system — as someone who gets into dozens of cars a year, I don’t find that it lends itself to quick use, but if you live with it awhile, I suspect it becomes more second nature. The same can be said with Acura’s push-button transmission selector, which feels awkward at first, but probably gets easier and more intuitive the more you live with it.

Pricier but Worth It
We’ve already reported on how the new 2021 TLX will see a $4,500 bump to its base price, which is a considerable increase — but given the change in the vehicle’s positioning and equipment, it’s not like you’ll wonder what the extra cash is for. The much more powerful base engine and new transmission alone justify a big portion of that increase, but you also get a considerable amount of safety technology as standard that costs thousands of dollars more on competitors if they offer it at all. The base price for a 2021 TLX is $38,525 (including destination fee) and includes items like adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and road- and lane-departure mitigation. That price also includes full LED exterior lighting, 18-inch wheels, sport seats with 12-way power adjustment and a 10-speaker premium audio system. Major options become standard as you progress up the ladder of premium trim levels, with items like a 13-speaker ELS Studio audio system or 17-speaker ELS 3D audio system available, 19-inch wheels, 16-way power seats, heated and ventilated seats, and more. A top-spec TLX Advance Package will come in “comfortably equipped” according to Acura at $49,325, thousands less than competitors.

The combination of impressive driving sophistication, top-notch on-board technology, classy cabin materials and excellent value pricing should put the new TLX on the shopping list for anyone still considering a proper sports sedan over an SUV.
TSX69 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 06:39 PM
Racer

Thanks for posting. If true, this looks promising to some, but less practical if you have young kids that ride from time to time.

I would have been all over the 3G the has Acura put in a better powertrain with clearly improved actual performance over the 2G and added considerably more sound deadening. They did not. That is what I'm in the 1G TLX. The 2G TLX looks promising for some, but not for me.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Thanks for posting. If true, this looks promising to some, but less practical if you have young kids that ride from time to time.

I would have been all over the 3G the has Acura put in a better powertrain with clearly improved actual performance over the 2G and added considerably more sound deadening. They did not. That is what I'm in the 1G TLX. The 2G TLX looks promising for some, but not for me.
If you have young kids, they'll be more than ok. If you have teens, then it might start being an issue. It's still seems to have about the same room as anything else in its class, it's just not as much as people were expecting given the overall exterior size increase. If you're looking to keep the car 10+ years or go on a lot of road trips with the little ones, yea, might not be the best choice ... then again, no car will meet every need perfectly.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
Acura way to go! Let’s bring more positive reviews. I am confident this car will repeat the success of the RDX. Of course it won’t sell 60K units as the sedan market is different. I can’t name the person, but from the Facebook group, I had a private chat with an Acura employee, who was at the California event. He said most of the reviewers liked the Acura TLX. Now let’s see what the buyers have to say... only sales numbers will tell us with time!

2 days to go for all reviews to be out!!!
Barbecue Tech Tips (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Too bad the rear passenger room isn't that great as I hoped. My current 2 door liftback coupe is on par with the tlx.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J80j...z8nc-m0Nf209pY

Looks like Acura is posting the first preview ahead of the journalists. 8-minute comparison with 330i and no mention of actual performance.
Nedmundo (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by CollinR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J80j...z8nc-m0Nf209pY

Looks like Acura is posting the first preview ahead of the journalists. 8-minute comparison with 330i and no mention of actual performance.
Hah, they did the same thing for the 1G TLX. Compared it to a base FWD Audi A4. Guess which one came out on top?

These manufacturer comparison tests are more of a waste of time than watching paint dry.

All they did was cherry pick a bunch of features that are standard on the TLX and optional on the A4 and put it into a table. The best part is when they list the Jewel Eye headlights as being standard on the TLX and not available on the A4. Well no shit, you literally trademarked that name, of course Audi won't have "Jewel Eye" headlights (thought to be fair in small font they do mention "LED headlights standard" for the A4).

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-21-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Shadow2056 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:45 PM
Instructor

https://carsmyfriends.com/car-review...-improvements/
Old 09-21-2020, 11:57 PM
Instructor

I hope the TLX is almost as quiet as the RLX. Reviews say that it rides soft like cars above its class.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:39 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I'm struggling to understand why everyone is moving to Turbos. It's not performance - Acuras turbo 4s perform WORSE than their V6 in real world conditions. It's not fuel economy CAFE, V6 with VCM and a 9 or 10 speed transmission would get much better fuel economy in real world conditions than a turbo 4 - just look at 1G TLX V6 or even the new Lexus ES with 6 cylinder. V6 is so much smoother and more refined. Audi seems to have mastered the turbo powertrain implementation, but NOT Acura. Acura had great smooth V6 powertrains. They even got the ZF9 respectable at the end. Oh well.
I think this is just the beginning of the k20 turbo era, whereas the j35, honda pretty much pushed it as far as they could.

In the coming years, they will further improve the 2.0t.
​​​​
Right now, The increased torque is pretty noticeable in daily driving in the real world with the 2.0t.

Thank you!

From that, not looking good as a family sedan:
Seems like they are leaving the family sedan to the accord. They are going with a totally different group with the 2g tlx.

Originally Posted by AcuraFan1980
Well I’m not a fan that there isn’t any backseat room. I wouldn’t use it much but it’s still good to have just in case. Everything sounded good. Video reviews will be welcomed in the coming days

What I personally don’t like is that they are reviewing Aspec and Advance models.

I believe most people will either be getting the Tech package or the Aspec.

The tech package should be reviewed, not the advanced. I want to see the differences
I think A spec is to show off the styling.

And the advance is to show off all the features and adaptive dampers.
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I guess they figured the 12 people with families who would have bought a TLX over an RDX wasn't worth courting.
This.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 386 Likes on 268 Posts
I applaud Acura for finally getting rid of the mindset that their cars need to please everyone. The last generation products were planned as such, and they ended up like vanilla.

The back seat is not such a big deal to be honest. It is not that small afterall, just standard size for this segment. If TLX cannot meet your need, 330/C/Giulia/G70 will not, either.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
a35tl (09-22-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 05:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I applaud Acura for finally getting rid of the mindset that their cars need to please everyone. The last generation products were planned as such, and they ended up like vanilla.

The back seat is not such a big deal to be honest. It is not that small afterall, just standard size for this segment. If TLX cannot meet your need, 330/C/Giulia/G70 will not, either.
100%!

If you want sport, HP, plenty of space, I think there the new S500 available with digital gauges 🤣

Those who are complaining about backseat, Accord is there with plenty of space and cheaper. No need to buy a TLX. If Acura has to compensate for big families and enthusiasts. Then we will get another failed product. Since no one wants to pay more than $40K lol! Acura buyers want everything but it can’t be an expensive car. Great job Acura. Keep focusing and create your niche!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:10 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever

It's been mentioned before - if someone needs the space they're likely not shopping the TLX as much as the RDX or some other SUV.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:22 AM
AZ Community Team

It's been mentioned before - if someone needs the space they're likely not shopping the TLX as much as the RDX or some other SUV.
exactly! The definition of sedan has been changed for the last 5 years at least. No one buys sedan anymore due to space, and practicality. That’s one of the biggest reasons that the sedan sales declined significantly. Now everyone wants either a suv or crossover, unless they really don’t need space.

It seems like Acura did their homework this time

RDX and MDX for people who need space.
TLX for enthusiasts and people who love tech and performance.
ILX or whatever the same will be focus those young 30 year old with a budget of $40K but they want a decent car.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:38 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
exactly! The definition of sedan has been changed for the last 5 years at least. No one buys sedan anymore due to space, and practicality. That’s one of the biggest reasons that the sedan sales declined significantly. Now everyone wants either a suv or crossover, unless they really don’t need space.

It seems like Acura did their homework this time

RDX and MDX for people who need space.
TLX for enthusiasts and people who love tech and performance.
ILX or whatever the same will be focus those young 30 year old with a budget of $40K but they want a decent car.
Agreed, it's 2020. Sedans are the new coupes. Crossovers are the new sedans.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
People... at least wait till you actually sit in the backseat of the new car before you pass judgment. I too was a little disappointed that they didn't make the cabin any bigger but until I have a chance to sit in it I just don't know for myself. I rarely use the backseat of my TLX except for groceries. So for me it doesn't really matter. But I don't think Acura meant this car as a family hauler.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
Jiten Patel (09-22-2020), Tony Pac (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 07:23 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Performance division?

You think we might finally get some performance specs for the performance division of Honda? Wait, no, even the cars.com review didn't have any actual numbers related to performance...
Old 09-22-2020, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed Guy
You think we might finally get some performance specs for the performance division of Honda? Wait, no, even the cars.com review didn't have any actual numbers related to performance...
Yes, Alex on Autos tends to give his performance numbers. We should see his review either this week if he was invited to the event last weekend or sometime in October after the on-sale date.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
People... at least wait till you actually sit in the backseat of the new car before you pass judgment. I too was a little disappointed that they didn't make the cabin any bigger but until I have a chance to sit in it I just don't know for myself. I rarely use the backseat of my TLX except for groceries. So for me it doesn't really matter. But I don't think Acura meant this car as a family hauler.
thank you.

unfortunately, this is the biggest issue here. No one has ever sat or tried the new TLX but yet every day you read random comments as it’s slow, the back seat is small, infotainment isn’t good, it’s heavy and you name it.

Clearly, it’s just speculation and nothing else. Those who are serious buyers, hopefully they do their home and not just listen to a few members. At the end of the day, people are paying $40-$50K. It’s a lot of money.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 658 Likes on 355 Posts
It's getting old and boring coming in here to read the same lame comments like Tony Pac said, wait until you get in the car. I sat in the Advance, it is not a small car and the backseat is fine. If you 6'4 I mean c'mon lol. Get a Mazda 6 they are long and roomy and leave the 2G TLX to us to enjoy with our .0032 inch less of leg room than the Accord.
Tony Pac (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
thank you.

unfortunately, this is the biggest issue here. No one has ever sat or tried the new TLX but yet every day you read random comments as it’s slow, the back seat is small, infotainment isn’t good, it’s heavy and you name it.

Clearly, it’s just speculation and nothing else. Those who are serious buyers, hopefully they do their home and not just listen to a few members. At the end of the day, people are paying $40-$50K. It’s a lot of money.
50k for something that's apparently slower and smaller than an Accord and has less interesting options based on price, seems like a waste of money no matter how you slice it. So outside looks nice, big deal.
Will see tomorrow, will take my words back if reviews are positive and the above is wrong.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 09-22-2020 at 08:33 AM.
ESHBG (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
It's getting old and boring coming in here to read the same lame comments like Tony Pac said, wait until you get in the car. I sat in the Advance, it is not a small car and the backseat is fine. If you 6'4 I mean c'mon lol. Get a Mazda 6 they are long and roomy and leave the 2G TLX to us to enjoy with our .0032 inch less of leg room than the Accord.
It’s actually more like 5” less legroom in the back compared to the Accord, but OK.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (09-22-2020), pyrodan007 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
We can read the numbers and now there's been comments in reviews about the backseat space. It is completely ridiculous to make a car bigger except for where it's actually useable. And everytime I see "the illusion of RWD" I shake my head because that's about one of the silliest things I could imagine one building a car around. And now I am even more sure that the numbers will be disappointing, especially against competitors, because this appears to be Acura's usual we make slower cars that just look fast.

And I love the, "Then go buy [insert competing vehicle here] and you would be better off with one of those," comments. Yes because there's no better sales strategy than hey let's purposely push people into competing vehicles.

This new TLX will be a flop. If I end up being proven wrong I will gladly eat my words and would be happy to do so, as I had wanted this to be a success (and I was hoping to own one).

*And I am going to laugh when the new ILX or whatever it will be called comes out being the better all around vehicle and for cheaper.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
pyrodan007 (09-22-2020), Speed Guy (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 08:43 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed Guy
I didn't want to be the first to say it, since I've been labeled a salty Acura hater. But, cars.com had a leaked review of the TLX that was comprehensive enough that Acura (or someone) had it pulled, yet still no performance figures of any sort, whether straight line or handling. It really makes you wonder and suspect the worst. Hopefully we're all wrong and are forced to eat crow when this thing actually does put up respectable numbers, but all signs point to that not being the case.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leomio85
I didn't want to be the first to say it, since I've been labeled a salty Acura hater. But, cars.com had a leaked review of the TLX that was comprehensive enough that Acura (or someone) had it pulled, yet still no performance figures of any sort, whether straight line or handling. It really makes you wonder and suspect the worst. Hopefully we're all wrong and are forced to eat crow when this thing actually does put up respectable numbers, but all signs point to that not being the case.
FWIW the RDX has pretty disappointing numbers, but the reviews pretty much all unanimously praised it as being one of the best (if not the best) offerings in its class. I wouldn’t be surprised if Acura decided to stick with that approach, because I think even they know they can’t beat the Germans when it comes down to how the car objectively performs. You get what you pay for, and with the TLX already being cheaper than the competition for more standard features, something has to give.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:07 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
And I love the, "Then go buy [insert competing vehicle here] and you would be better off with one of those," comments. Yes because there's no better sales strategy than hey let's purposely push people into competing vehicles.
There is no one size fits all car. That's why you have all these different car companies who make all these different cars. If trunk size is the most important thing you probably don't want to shop for a Corvette. If horsepower is your thing you likely don't want a Kia Soul. Etc Etc. Buy the car that best fits your needs.
a35tl (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:00 AM
AZ Community Team

50k for something that's apparently slower and smaller than an Accord and has less interesting options based on price, seems like a waste of money no matter how you slice it. So outside looks nice, big deal.
Will see tomorrow, will take my words back if reviews are positive and the above is wrong.
Great! People should go and get an Accord. I always said one thing: we have so many options and no one needs to buy the TLX if it doesn't fit their criteria. The Q50 is the perfect example of a nice, spacious and 400HP car. But people aren't really buying them. Whatever their reasons are for not opt in for a Q50, we have to respect that.

So far, the TLX seems a good car and looks great (again look is subjective) and has decent features and power. Now tomorrow, or later this week, when reviews are out and the journalist bash this car, and Acura continues to sell 1,500-1,800 units per month. Then definitely it's a fail product.

In 2018, Acura came up with the RDX and I would say 90%+ of the reviews and feedback were positive. Now some folks find the RDX ugly, slow or whatever,. But at at the end of the day, it's a huge success for Honda/Acura. They are selling 50-60K units. And people actually cross-shop RDX with GLC, X3 and Q5. RDX is the main reason for the new TLX. Acura is repeating the same formula and hope it works for them.

Let's wait and see....I am positive and confident that Acura is focused now and they are doing the right things.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:02 AM
AZ Community Team

There is no one size fits all car. That's why you have all these different car companies who make all these different cars. If trunk size is the most important thing you probably don't want to shop for a Corvette. If horsepower is your thing you likely don't want a Kia Soul. Etc Etc. Buy the car that best fits your needs.
We have been saying this for over a year... but who will listen to us lol.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
The review was pulled because it broke embargo. All the car companies prohibit reviews going live until they want them to be released - this ensures blanket coverage on the same day across all automotive sites.

And almost every single “first drive” review for a mainstream car is without any sort of official performance testing. There will be basically no numbers released with any first drive review unless a YouTuber does some sort of unofficial 0-60 run on an empty back road. You’ll just get estimates and impressions.
The following 2 users liked this post by iutodd:
bilirubin (09-22-2020), Honda430 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 658 Likes on 355 Posts
I haven't wanted to own an Accord since "95, best design ever. I'm not the type of car guy most "car guys" are. If the 2G TLX isn't what I want it to to be I would definitely grab a 2020 Aspec for 10k off for the next few years. I like Acura products overall, but I am of a generation where I can't see myself spending $47k for a KIA, HYUNDIA, GENESIS no matter how nice they look lately. That's why I stay in my 07 Type-S until something strikes my fancy from Acura. I had the opportunity to sit in a PVP Advance and I couldn't stop smiling. What we miss is this forum is very critical, but to the everyday shopper this car is going to be appealing. It has the best original looking dash in the segment IMO. Most cars have that flat dash tablet look like Germans which I hate. There is nothing about a BMW dash that is exciting. It literally has looked the same for 30 years. Same ergonomics lol

Shadow2056 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Hah, they did the same thing for the 1G TLX. Compared it to a base FWD Audi A4. Guess which one came out on top?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmicJJ-Eumo

These manufacturer comparison tests are more of a waste of time than watching paint dry.

All they did was cherry pick a bunch of features that are standard on the TLX and optional on the A4 and put it into a table. The best part is when they list the Jewel Eye headlights as being standard on the TLX and not available on the A4. Well no shit, you literally trademarked that name, of course Audi won't have "Jewel Eye" headlights (thought to be fair in small font they do mention "LED headlights standard" for the A4).

I'm not a fan of these. When it's the brand doing the comparison, they don't show the other features of the competition. Like the BMW 330i they did. Showed the moving LED headlights of the 3 series but went straight to talk about the jewel headlights the TLX has and mentioned NOTHING at all about the moving headlights on the 3 series. Showed a lot of the interior on the TLX but just showed a view of the 3 series front seat.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I see it as two different objectives for a lot of people which can easily conflict with each other. One is "needs" the other is "wants". Some brands try to blend both which is not possible. But thats what makes for interesting web sites.
ESHBG (09-22-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**