2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 12:05 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Somehthing I just recalled. Do any of you remember the initial views of the 2004 TL? Well one of the knocks against the car was that there was a lack of cohesiveness in the different material surfaces used in the dash and upper door panels. We see how that worked out. Over time nobody gave a dame about it. Maybe as with the 2004 that will eventually become an after thought with the 2021 A-spec.

Last edited by Honda430; 09-25-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
The whole price thing is weird to me. The car cost about $1,500 more than the equivalent 2020 6 cylinder. Maybe he and a lot of folks on this site are comparing to the price of the 2020 four cylinder. I suppose there might be some legitimacy to that, but I don't recall any other manufacturers dropping their prices when they replaced their previous 6s with 4 cylinder turbos.
I don't know as I don't keep track of historical pricing of similar cars, and track when they switched from V6 to 4-cylinders.

As for the pricing ... yeah, I used to think like that (mainly because that's what Acura was suggesting). But actually ...

2021-TLX-2.0T = 2020 TLX 4 cylinder = Audi A4
2021-TLX-3.0T Type-S = 2020 TLX v6 = Audi S4

If you think of it any other way, that's where the problems start. This whole idea that Acura is suggesting that the 2.0T can replace the good-old V6 is the root of the problem.
Also, they should have released them both concurrently (even if it meant waiting until next year). Everybody could have chosen their favorite (based on wants/need and pricing) ... and not try to shoe-horn the 2.0T-model into a role it can't fulfill.

Edit: Might even go so far as saying Tech model is entry level (delete the lame Base model) and bring the 2.0T's pricing down a bit (more pricing range between those and Type-S model(s))

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-25-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,426 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Somehthing I just recalled. Do any of you remember the initial views of the 2004 TL? Well one of the knocks against the car was that there was a lack of cohesiveness in the different material surfaces used in the dash and upper door panels. We see how that worked out. Over time nobody gave a dame about it. Maybe as with the 2004 that will eventually become an after thought with the 2021 A-spec.
I'm pretty sure in the grand scheme of things, interior cohesiveness (or lack thereof) probably isn't something buyers in this segment are going to really care about. Those with discerning tastes when it comes to interior design and material choices are going to land in something like a Mercedes or Audi or Volvo. Even issues with the powertrain (responsiveness, putting the power down, etc.) may not even be of that much concern; after all, Acura still sold a bunch of V6 TLXs with the god-awful ZF9 transmission. Actually, I think the biggest threat to the TLX sales numbers is the fact that the 3G RDX exists, a car that's priced the same, has the same powertrain and shares a lot of the same components, and is a heck of a lot more practical and useable (i.e. is a lot more sensible, which appeals to the prototypical Acura customer).

The thing that's really perplexing to me is that both Alex and the TSP guys have driven cars that are objectively bad in so many different aspects, and yet they withhold or sugarcoat a lot of the criticism there. I mean, they've both reviewed some older Nissan products, and we all know that there's a million and one things you can pick out about those cars that are subpar or terrible, and yet they've always held their tongue (actually that's my primary annoyance with them, that they hold back too much).

I just can't shake the feeling that Acura might have done something to upset them. Add it to the long list of question marks, like why did Acura give media access to a bunch of random no-name reviewers? I spend an inordinate amount of time on YT watching car videos, and I've never ever heard of Drive Break Fix Repeat, MilesPerHr, Car Coach Reports, or MotorProMedia. I don't know if some of the big names weren't invited or just haven't released their videos yet, but channels like Redline Reviews, The Smoking Tire, hell even TFL, Matt Maran, and Raiti's Rides are conspicuously missing. Someone said maybe it's because of travel restrictions due to COVID, but the TSP guys travelled internationally to get to the event, so I'm not buying it.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-25-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:51 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Watched/read like 10 reviews, most of them are quite positive on the TLX. There are a few things that each reviewer are not too keen on, but that to be expected.

0-60mph in 5.7s is faster than I expected, given how heavy the car is, that it does not have launch control, and that Acura traditionally does not allow for aggressive brake torquing.

The Topher review video shows that the speed picks up quite quickly.

I thought I read somewhere that the TLX has summer tires as an option, may be it's only for the Type S? In any case, that's an easy fix, at least for me. lol. I mean I have 4 sets of wheels on my CTR and soon to be 3 sets of wheels for the NSX....

Seems like most reviews are saying the TLX is very fun to drive, despite the all-season tires, which is definitely a good thing since this has been a huge issue for the 1g TLX.

Not sure if it's me, but I thought Alex on Auto is quite positive on the TLX. He said he wanted the car to be $3000 less, well, as he admitted, who wouldn't want a car to be cheaper? My interpretation from his conclusion is exactly what he said - the TLX as is is a great deal and a great buy. But if it's $3000 less, it would be in a league of its own.

I think the key takeaway here is that Acura has repositioned the TLX. It's no longer an Accord+ that is actually not as desirable as an Accord, and at a very low price. Instead, it's now worthy to go up against the German models, while being slightly less expensive.

I don't think any car in this class is faster than the Accord 2.0T. The Accord 2.0T traps at 104mph in the 1/4 mile. Pretty much 330i, C300, A4 all trap at 99-100mph. So for me, the TLX 2.0T not being faster than the Accord isn't too much if an issue. The Accord V6 or 2.0T for the past decade or so has been faster than the base compact luxury sedans. Obviously straight line speed is one metric only, otherwise, no one would be buy C300, A4, 330i.

The following 3 users liked this post by iforyou:
a35tl (09-25-2020), Legend2TL (09-25-2020), Starseer (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:55 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Last I heard they are not making RDX Type S.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:01 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Barbecue Tech Tips
Meh, I am debating if I should just wait for the RDX PMC edition or TLX Advanced this fall. Since the rear seat is so unusable, I'd hate to buy the TLX and have a family in the next 5 years and render the car useless.
Your kids aren't gonna be born 6ft... Jakob is 6'2 and he was able to sit behind himself, I dont know how long u keep ur cars but if u have kids within 5yrs, u can still have a few good years with it while they are small.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:27 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Someone said maybe it's because of travel restrictions due to COVID, but the TSP guys travelled internationally to get to the event, so I'm not buying it.
TSP got the car from Honda Canada a couple days ago. They filmed it just outside of Toronto.

Originally Posted by iforyou
I don't think any car in this class is faster than the Accord 2.0T. The Accord 2.0T traps at 104mph in the 1/4 mile. Pretty much 330i, C300, A4 all trap at 99-100mph. So for me, the TLX 2.0T not being faster than the Accord isn't too much if an issue. The Accord V6 or 2.0T for the past decade or so has been faster than the base compact luxury sedans. Obviously straight line speed is one metric only, otherwise, no one would be buy C300, A4, 330i.
Alfa Romeo Giulia is faster I believe.

Last edited by MSZ; 09-25-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:54 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Not sure if it's me, but I thought Alex on Auto is quite positive on the TLX. He said he wanted the car to be $3000 less, well, as he admitted, who wouldn't want a car to be cheaper? My interpretation from his conclusion is exactly what he said - the TLX as is is a great deal and a great buy. But if it's $3000 less, it would be in a league of its own.

I think the key takeaway here is that Acura has repositioned the TLX. It's no longer an Accord+ that is actually not as desirable as an Accord, and at a very low price. Instead, it's now worthy to go up against the German models, while being slightly less expensive.
I thought Alex was very positive too - he seemed genuinely excited while pushing it through the curves. Meanwhile TSP guys (who I enjoy watching a lot) lost some cred for not understanding how SHAWD behaves.

I think why Alex was conflicted, and it tied into his nitpicking the interior materials, truly was the value prop. I'm not just talking about making a list and checking all the features then see who has the most for the least $$. The thing that goes unsaid often times is that some (maybe a lot) people buy a BMW or Mercedes for the badge. Not just for the badge of course - no debating they make good cars - but all things equal (or even if the Acura is a couple thousand less) they will take a Mercedes/BMW over an Acura all day long. Especially when we talk about 2 or 3 year leases. If Acura truly wants to compete in that space they need to go above and beyond. Alex seemed to think the car with SHAWD certainly went above and beyond with regards to handling (tires notwithstanding) and overall it's a good car but not the superstar it needs to be in order to compete in that space.

I'll be shocked if they're not offering very competitive discounts in a few years. Another consideration for those who purchase rather than lease - with sedan demand continuing to decline - how will this affect the resale value? Luxury cars tend to be very poor investments in a good market - I suspect the depreciation will be a little worse over the short term.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Right, but almost any car would work for that purpose ... doesn't have to be this new $40,000 sporty-looking one.
Of course but if someone really likes this car/wants an Acura there's a decent option for this purpose.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
I don't know if it was the POV angle, the tires slipping, or going too fast (trying to push the car) ...
But when he was accelerating on one of those curved highway entrance ramps ... it appeared he was making some excessive steering-wheel movements to just keep it centered in the lane.
It was kinda scared for him. Not sure if this was valid or if there is even a name for this.
Not what I would expect for a car with SH-AWD. Maybe this is what the Straight-Pipes guys meant by "wormy" ?
It's just the economy tires protesting when pushed hard. He did the same thing when he reviewed the 1G in 2017 and he was initially really negative about the TLX's handling. In a 2nd nighttime driving review, he reversed his opinion saying more time in the seat revealed it was the lack of grip of the Primacy tires when pushed to 8/10ths or higher.

Last edited by Carnage719; 09-25-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Something to take into consideration is the style of each and every reviewer: they are a PRESS to the manufacturers... so, you can already account for the manufacturers having a relationship with them...
One rule applies to all of them - they are reviewing brand new cars (rarely 1-2-3 years old models) and RARELY IF EVER does one knockdown a model they are reviewing.

I cannot wait for a true owner and user of these cars to come back and start giving some real news.

At this very point: given the style of StraightPipes, Alex and others - watching their videos periodically would help understand their style: hence when they are concerned about an option or two, that translates a little bit more into an issue and not really a "concern" - but PRESS lingo is just that: gotta be soft on manufacturers - otherwise they won't send them or allow them to test/review their cars in the future... so, take current commercial/YT reviewers with the grain of salt - I know I do: because I have seen too many very subjective praises to KIA and Hyundai when all other brands are being knockdown and trashed (also on the soft side, but again, it is PRESS).
The following 3 users liked this post by rlx015:
04WDPSeDaN (09-25-2020), loki (09-25-2020), Tesla1856 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:19 AM
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 264 Posts
I'm pretty sure in the grand scheme of things, interior cohesiveness (or lack thereof) probably isn't something buyers in this segment are going to really care about. Those with discerning tastes when it comes to interior design and material choices are going to land in something like a Mercedes or Audi or Volvo. Even issues with the powertrain (responsiveness, putting the power down, etc.) may not even be of that much concern; after all, Acura still sold a bunch of V6 TLXs with the god-awful ZF9 transmission. Actually, I think the biggest threat to the TLX sales numbers is the fact that the 3G RDX exists, a car that's priced the same, has the same powertrain and shares a lot of the same components, and is a heck of a lot more practical and useable (i.e. is a lot more sensible, which appeals to the prototypical Acura customer).

The thing that's really perplexing to me is that both Alex and the TSP guys have driven cars that are objectively bad in so many different aspects, and yet they withhold or sugarcoat a lot of the criticism there. I mean, they've both reviewed some older Nissan products, and we all know that there's a million and one things you can pick out about those cars that are subpar or terrible, and yet they've always held their tongue (actually that's my primary annoyance with them, that they hold back too much).

I just can't shake the feeling that Acura might have done something to upset them. Add it to the long list of question marks, like why did Acura give media access to a bunch of random no-name reviewers? I spend an inordinate amount of time on YT watching car videos, and I've never ever heard of Drive Break Fix Repeat, MilesPerHr, Car Coach Reports, or MotorProMedia. I don't know if some of the big names weren't invited or just haven't released their videos yet, but channels like Redline Reviews, The Smoking Tire, hell even TFL, Matt Maran, and Raiti's Rides are conspicuously missing. Someone said maybe it's because of travel restrictions due to COVID, but the TSP guys travelled internationally to get to the event, so I'm not buying it.
It's pretty telling why Acura didn't give this car to all major car reviewers at the launch. You have an all new model which you need to succeed and you give the car to no names at the launch????

I can tell SavageG will rip this thing to shreds. TSP typically do not critique cars they review and they have been very unimpressed and disappointed. I think AOA is full of it with the 0 to 60 at 5.7.
​​
Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
The following users liked this post:
ACCURATEin (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:34 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
2004 TL was not $50K for base engine.

Originally Posted by dmski
It's pretty telling why Acura didn't give this car to all major car reviewers at the launch. You have an all new model which you need to succeed and you give the car to no names at the launch????

I can tell SavageG will rip this thing to shreds. TSP typically do not critique cars they review and they have been very unimpressed and disappointed. I think AOA is full of it with the 0 to 60 at 5.7.
​​
I spent two days with Mark (Savage) and Jack (Singapore) filming my Accord. I can tell you that he has had it up to here with Honda/Acura and he was their biggest fan and advocate. Maybe I'm spilling more than I should but he told me Honda has started to avoid him because he won't play the ball like others (redline, straight, throttle, Doug, etc.) when it comes to praise and hype. They didn't want to give him the new Accord because he wouldn't agree to it. So I gave him mine. Also, reason why he did RDX in dead of winter was because Acura was mad at him for not agreeing to same type of hype so they gave him the car in January.

The intro we shot is nothing what we shot in the shop in front of my car that didn't make the final cut. There were some brutal harsh words about how Honda has failed us but for the sake of his relationship with Honda, we cut it out. In return, his Honda rep Jessica would contact me to see what we can work out. Nothing came from it so Honda played us, again.

The following 7 users liked this post by loki:
04WDPSeDaN (09-25-2020), ACCURATEin (09-25-2020), ESHBG (09-25-2020), fiatlux (09-26-2020), Jiten Patel (09-25-2020), pyrodan007 (09-25-2020), Tesla1856 (09-25-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
That would explain the no name reviews, agree to keep it light and you can play with my toys. Embargo is to limit damage control should some turn rogue and critic the car.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 09-25-2020 at 09:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
F23A4 (09-25-2020), loki (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:50 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
That's pretty cool. I remember watching that video a few months or so ago.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

So I’m guessing it’ll be a while before Mark gets his hands on the new TLX? Glad to hear he’s sticking to his guns though; if I wanted to watch a glorified Honda/Acura ad I’d go turn on the TV.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmski

​​
I would agree on AOA ... on another note: he compared certain models with exterior dimensions, but for some reason decided to exclude those same models from the interior spacing comparison... I find that odd, because if you are calling out certain dimensions, you should measure and compare with the same models across the board...

Old 09-25-2020, 10:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,129 Likes on 2,565 Posts
On the right side of the video capture you uploaded AoA is showing the combined legroom and 2nd row headroom, while showing overall exterior length in the bottom.
AoA also mentions a few time in the 1/2 video how the interior is 3-series sized while the exterior is 5-series sized
Originally Posted by rl015
I would agree on AOA ... on another note: he compared certain models with exterior dimensions, but for some reason decided to exclude those same models from the interior spacing comparison... I find that odd, because if you are calling out certain dimensions, you should measure and compare with the same models across the board...

rlx015 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 AM
®

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
On the right side of the video capture you uploaded AoA is showing the combined legroom and 2nd row headroom, while showing overall exterior length in the bottom.
AoA also mentions a few time in the 1/2 video how the interior is 3-series sized while the exterior is 5-series sized
They don't know what they're doing anymore. Making cars that are full size on the outside and compact on the inside.

In 5 short years, they've killed off TSX, TL, RL and RLX. At least 3 of those were EXCELLENT (TSX, TL and RL) in their perspective class and you knew exactly what they were supposed to be and what they were. They were also priced very reasonably and offered a ton of features and performance for not a ton of money.

All those cars had to die for THIS car...Performance on this car was an afterthought. Marketing, marketing and more marketing + some cringe-worthy hype was all they cared about. They killed off 4 good sedans and gave the world a car that doesn't know what it wants to be. Acura hype finally needs to die.
The following 3 users liked this post by loki:
04WDPSeDaN (09-25-2020), ESHBG (09-25-2020), pyrodan007 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
It's just the economy tires protesting when pushed hard. He did the same thing when he reviewed the 1G in 2017 and he was initially really negative about the TLX's handling. In a 2nd nighttime driving review, he reversed his opinion saying more time in the seat revealed it was the lack of grip of the Primacy tires when pushed to 8/10ths or higher.
The Michelin Primacy tires on the TLX are not really "economy" tires. They are pretty expensive. Michelin Pilot Sport tires (which are not much more expensive) would handle better, but would not be as smooth or last as long.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
The Michelin Primacy tires on the TLX are not really "economy" tires. They are pretty expensive. Michelin Pilot Sport tires (which are not much more expensive) would handle better, but would not be as smooth or last as long.
I think by economy he means that it’s geared towards economy (fuel economy), not the that it’s a crappy cheap tire like a Westlake or one of those other a Chinese brands.
F23A4 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
2004 TL was not $50K for base engine.

I spent two days with Mark (Savage) and Jack (Singapore) filming my Accord. I can tell you that he has had it up to here with Honda/Acura and he was their biggest fan and advocate. Maybe I'm spilling more than I should but he told me Honda has started to avoid him because he won't play the ball like others (redline, straight, throttle, Doug, etc.) when it comes to praise and hype. They didn't want to give him the new Accord because he wouldn't agree to it. So I gave him mine. Also, reason why he did RDX in dead of winter was because Acura was mad at him for not agreeing to same type of hype so they gave him the car in January.

The intro we shot is nothing what we shot in the shop in front of my car that didn't make the final cut. There were some brutal harsh words about how Honda has failed us but for the sake of his relationship with Honda, we cut it out. In return, his Honda rep Jessica would contact me to see what we can work out. Nothing came from it so Honda played us, again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2vX-IVlwGs
If I remember correctly a 2004 TL with Nav listed at about $36,000. That’s about today’s equivalent of a $47,000 car. As to your car I thought Mark liked your car though he thought it was not quite a car for today’s market. Seating in the 2021 was a design choice that Acura will either win or loose.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
They don't know what they're doing anymore. Making cars that are full size on the outside and compact on the inside.
Looks to me the hood is where it has grown the most. Maybe it has something to do with Type S and its 6 cylinder engine?
Old 09-25-2020, 11:36 AM
®

If I remember correctly a 2004 TL with Nav listed at about $36,000. That’s about today’s equivalent of a $47,000 car. As to your car I thought Mark liked your car though he thought it was not quite a car for today’s market. Seating in the 2021 was a design choice that Acura will either win or loose.
He did like the car. He didn't like the suspension set up (same complaint I'm seeing on the TLX) but that's fixable with Koni shock absorbers. He also didn't like the cable shifter which I fixed with Acuity Stage 2. It transferred it from a cooked spaghetti noodle to same feeling as my 2003 CL Type S 6MT. I drove Si after I did my upgrade and that shifter felt TERRIBLE but it felt great compared to what mine was stock.

His beef wasn't with my car and neither is mine. It's with AH in general.

I'm not sure 2004 TL retailed for $36K when 2008 TL Type S retailed for $37,500. I doubt refreshed MMC TL Type S was only $1500 more than a 2004 TL non-Type S.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Yes, but only on remaining 2020's .

According to my salesman ... this 2021 TLX is viewed as new, hot, desirable ... and will sell themselves at MSRP ... at least here in Texas.

What's funny ... my dealer just ran an Ad ... on 2020-ILX ... yes ILX . Two things:
1. Never see them run an Ad on anything ever.
2. Never mentioned anything about it being a 2020 closeout.

For how long? Declining economy and declining sedan sales will make that maybe through year end at best. Honestly Genesis excited me more other than G70 is a tad small, Sport AWD was a blast to drive. TLX materials likely a tad better, but G70 has all the goodies unlike Type-S which removes many things. I will wait to see if they make last minute changes to the features of Type-S and if they still have all the bells and whistles removed I will look for a G70 Special Edition.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:47 AM
tehLEGOman

I hope it sounds like this..

Old 09-25-2020, 11:50 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
I hope it sounds like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorM1sYgyuk
The A-Spec/Advance won't. My 3G RDX with same powertrain doesn't sound anything like that. It's a Type S in that commercial. Heck, the Type S probably won't even sound like that ... likely a soundtrack from a completely different car.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:58 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts

There's a reason you only saw minor criticisms from the reviews so far, and you could tell AoA was restrained in what he was saying, but you could tell the deficiencies were eating at him ... hence why he did the afterthoughts on the video. I'd also like to see C&D's more comprehensive review. They weren't even able to post time sheets for 0-60, 5-60, quarter mile, curb weight, etc etc. As many stated, it's likely an embargo by Honda to not be too harsh prior to release of the vehicle. I think you're going to see a lot more negativity once the car officially goes on sale. Give it a week or two.

This is why I'm waiting for SG's review. He generally reviews privately owned vehicles so he can be brutally honest. I've heard it from more than one reviewer that automakers will be very vindictive if you speak ill of their cars. I get it, it's a business, but at the same time, it should be used constructively to make improvements, rather than censoring people from speaking the truth.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
AOA is technically right on the information he is disclosing in the video ... what I wanted to point out is, I find it likely deceiving when someone is measuring exterior against other models and brands... and then interior does not have measurements of the for example A6 or E-Class...

Buyer can look at it: "oh, I like that TLX is bigger car than A6 and E class" and someone who wanted a bigger car, could put TLX in the "race" ... then move to the interior and realizes TLX does not compare to A6 and E-Class the same way... because interior did not include them on the list... E-class and A6 WOULD EAT TLX on the interior dimensions I have a feel...
Old 09-25-2020, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

I agree it's a little misleading, but I think it has more to do with the real estate on the screen than him maliciously trying to deceive or be disingenuous. For the exterior size, he has a spectrum running horizontal across the screen, whereas for the interior size he has a list running vertically that's split between legroom and headroom. Probably just couldn't fit anything more into that list.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:15 PM
®

Originally Posted by leomio85
There's a reason you only saw minor criticisms from the reviews so far, and you could tell AoA was restrained in what he was saying, but you could tell the deficiencies were eating at him ... hence why he did the afterthoughts on the video. I'd also like to see C&D's more comprehensive review. They weren't even able to post time sheets for 0-60, 5-60, quarter mile, curb weight, etc etc. As many stated, it's likely an embargo by Honda to not be too harsh prior to release of the vehicle. I think you're going to see a lot more negativity once the car officially goes on sale. Give it a week or two.

This is why I'm waiting for SG's review. He generally reviews privately owned vehicles so he can be brutally honest. I've heard it from more than one reviewer that automakers will be very vindictive if you speak ill of their cars. I get it, it's a business, but at the same time, it should be used constructively to make improvements, rather than censoring people from speaking the truth.
Savage owns S2000 and Atom. Atom is a rocket that uses AWD, 6MT and Honda's 2.4L that's DIT. And...it's 100% street legal, passes emissions, registered, insured, etc. The thing does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. But he'll never buy another new Honda/Acura product again. Not while they're on the trajectory they've been on for a decade now.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 386 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
For how long? Declining economy and declining sedan sales will make that maybe through year end at best. Honestly Genesis excited me more other than G70 is a tad small, Sport AWD was a blast to drive. TLX materials likely a tad better, but G70 has all the goodies unlike Type-S which removes many things. I will wait to see if they make last minute changes to the features of Type-S and if they still have all the bells and whistles removed I will look for a G70 Special Edition.
Yeah don't rush if you want to save money. I could get ~8k off with all incentives/discounts combined on a M340 a few weeks after it was launched. TLX is going to fair better because it is cheaper to begin with, but it won't stay at MSRP for long.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Old 09-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Savage owns S2000 and Atom. Atom is a rocket that uses AWD, 6MT and Honda's 2.4L that's DIT. And...it's 100% street legal, passes emissions, registered, insured, etc. The thing does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. But he'll never buy another new Honda/Acura product again. Not while they're on the trajectory they've been on for a decade now.
I thought he really liked the CTR in his review. Looks aside, is whatever issue he has with Honda/Acura that much to dissuade him from ever buying that car?
Old 09-25-2020, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AcuraFan1980
Dealerships that stick their own decal or emblems on the car needs to be burned down. If there ever was a Purge event, y'all will know where to find me...

The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
a35tl (09-25-2020), jas5lf (09-25-2020), OtownPSU (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:25 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by leomio85
The A-Spec/Advance won't. My 3G RDX with same powertrain doesn't sound anything like that. It's a Type S in that commercial. Heck, the Type S probably won't even sound like that ... likely a soundtrack from a completely different car.
Well yeah it's a type S in the commercial so i'm hoping the 3.0t sounds like that. The 2.0t doesn't sound anywhere near that.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Pro

He did like the car. He didn't like the suspension set up (same complaint I'm seeing on the TLX) but that's fixable with Koni shock absorbers. He also didn't like the cable shifter which I fixed with Acuity Stage 2. It transferred it from a cooked spaghetti noodle to same feeling as my 2003 CL Type S 6MT. I drove Si after I did my upgrade and that shifter felt TERRIBLE but it felt great compared to what mine was stock.

His beef wasn't with my car and neither is mine. It's with AH in general.

I'm not sure 2004 TL retailed for $36K when 2008 TL Type S retailed for $37,500. I doubt refreshed MMC TL Type S was only $1500 more than a 2004 TL non-Type S.
Here you go.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:29 PM
®

I thought he really liked the CTR in his review. Looks aside, is whatever issue he has with Honda/Acura that much to dissuade him from ever buying that car?
Yes. And that goes for me as well. Honda literally WILL NOT stand behind their products anymore. After sale support, from service advisor (who's just a franchise employed salesman anyway) to service manager, to general manager, to regional rep, to Honda technical line, to warranty rep (I could talk about this "guy" for hours, you think you know sleaze...you don't, not until you meet this person)....to corporate useless customer support, to opening claims, etc...As much as I love my Accord 2.0T 6MT that has been (knock on wood) fault-free for over a year, I am simply done with them. They're not an honest and ethical company anymore. I don't feel like getting into all of this honestly.
ESHBG (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraFan1980
I really like this review. I liked how they were driving. It seemed pretty quick and didn’t have the lag. Sport mode seemed good. They said drives unlike any TLX ever made.

Man this is confusing

These guys are pretty good. I watch them often

Last edited by AcuraFan1980; 09-25-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**