Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
^ No 5AT yet. Libert69 will be the first. Hopefully in a few weeks
Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
^^ this is true....I am highly considering this mod, but want to wait till I'm out of warranty or if I magically come across a lump sum of money...lol but have my eyes glued to this thread for info on how the turbo's are going in the installed TL's......Also to all of our knowledge there isn't a Auto TL with this turbo set-up correct?
Not yet but there will be as Inaccurate said.

Several of us have been testing Redline and Amsoil's versions of the type-F non friction modified fluids for any drivability issues. So far, nothing but positive results. It looks like this is going to be a minimum requirement to help the auto trans live with the turbo. From Inaccurate's research it will give up to a 50% increase in dynamic and 100% increase in static holding capacity of the clutches.

If that is not enough, it will be time to look into raising line pressure.

I'm also very curious to see how the turbo system is going to react to the closing of the throttle between shifts that's programmed into the TL. It's possible in the auto version even with your foot to the floor you're going to hear the BOV chirp everytime it shifts gears.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
You can lower the boost to whatever level you want. If you run a few Psi less that the current tune, you could tone it down to 350WHP.
gotta love adjustable wastegates
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Remainder of the parts due tomorrow.

IM 85a's installed.
Battery relocation finished.
Test start, vibration for sure but I think it'll be ok.
Front end removed
Up on jack stands.
Gauge, boost control and Redline Oil on order.

Reading up on what fuse to pull to depressurize the fuel system and ready to dive in.

Still need to get tranny fluid and meth injection.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Not yet but there will be as Inaccurate said.

Several of us have been testing Redline and Amsoil's versions of the type-F non friction modified fluids for any drivability issues. So far, nothing but positive results. It looks like this is going to be a minimum requirement to help the auto trans live with the turbo. From Inaccurate's research it will give up to a 50% increase in dynamic and 100% increase in static holding capacity of the clutches.

If that is not enough, it will be time to look into raising line pressure.

I'm also very curious to see how the turbo system is going to react to the closing of the throttle between shifts that's programmed into the TL. It's possible in the auto version even with your foot to the floor you're going to hear the BOV chirp everytime it shifts gears.

yeah I been reading that thread as well and I will be doing that Tranny fluid change very shortly hopefully before summer comes around
Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
Remainder of the parts due tomorrow.

IM 85a's installed.
Battery relocation finished.
Test start, vibration for sure but I think it'll be ok.
Front end removed
Up on jack stands.
Gauge, boost control and Redline Oil on order.

Reading up on what fuse to pull to depressurize the fuel system and ready to dive in.

Still need to get tranny fluid and meth injection.
pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the car over a few times. thats what i do and no pressure in teh system
Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Think well get to see any 0 -80 mph videos anytime soon?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
maybe from one of the auto guys, but filming and shifting in a MT is too much.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
hi speed and kn_tl

which meth kit are you guys going to use? aem? snow? reasons for choosing either?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Safety Car

For anyone wishing to read-up on water/meth injection as used in a turbo application, I highly recommend the TurboBuick forum. Of all the forums out there, the TurboBuick forum seems to be the most knowledge in the topic of turbos and water/meth injection.

You will need to create an account to be able to do searches. Easy to register and I highly recommend registering to be able to do searches.

IHC - What is you screen name on TurboBuick?

TurboBuick.Com - Alcohol, Nitrous and Propane Tech Subforum (click here)

By the way, here is a list of some of the major players in water/meth injection. Be sure to stay away from any pumps that control injection pressure by mechanically switching the pump on/off. Currently, there is a trend in this industry to get away from switching the pump to control pressure.

AEM Water/Methanol Injection Kits (click here)
Alcohol Injections Systems (click here)
Aquamist (click here)
Coolingmist (click here)
DevilsOwn (click here)
Alkycontrol (click here)
Michael Plummer Performance (click here)
Snow Performance (click here)
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

I was considering Alky myself. No reason except that they seem to be a smaller company with a lot of knowledge.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
runnin a little boost

Have you guys received all your parts and the updated install manual. I have a list of parts I need from Rodney as well as the install manual. Mine was missng all of the diagrams.

I am going with Alkycontrol as well mostly so I can run straight meth.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Have you guys received all your parts and the updated install manual. I have a list of parts I need from Rodney as well as the install manual. Mine was missng all of the diagrams.

Is the document called Install33.doc? When you say diagrams, do you mean the pictures in the document?

I am waiting for the FedEx driver to arrive today. I am hoping everything is in this shipment.

Julio @ alky hasn't done a TL yet so I'm going to send him images of what's left for space when I am done.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi speed I believe all your waiting on is the 4 bolts which is shipped or been shipped to you already or if I'm wrong let me know .
Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Safety Car

All of the water/meth kits can be ran with straight 100% methanol.

Of all of the manufactures of water/meth kits that I have seen, do state that straight 100% methanol will not harm the components.

There are disclaimers on many of the manufacturer's websites to discourage the use of straight 100% methanol for legal reasons. The 50/50 mixture is not a flammable liquid. Whereas, straight 100% methanol is very much flammable and a health risk (toxic). So for legality, the manufacturer must state that the kit is intended for 50/50.

Also as a side note. The water/meth mixture is more corrosive to metal than just straight 100% methanol.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by pass427
Hi speed I believe all your waiting on is the 4 bolts which is shipped or been shipped to you already or if I'm wrong let me know .
I am waiting for those bolts, the air cleaner,the gasket for the turbo, any mounting brackets or bolts to mount the turbo, the knock box, and the revised install manual. I am taking everything to my tuner today to look at so he can give me a revised estimate.( my vintage mustang friends with all the tool won't help me because they know they can't keep up.)

KN, my copy of the install manual was missing the drawings or diagrams to show routing of the intercooler piping and everything else. The manual would say see diagram and nothing would be there, all the pics were great, very helpful and clear.

Last edited by Hi speed; 04-06-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

KN, my copy of the install manual was missing the drawings or diagrams to show routing of the intercooler piping and everything else. The manual would say see diagram and nothing would be there, all the pics were great, very helpful and clear.
I see what you are talking about now. John, I just checked the file you sent to me today and it has the images but no diagrams as Hi Speed says.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 PM
runnin a little boost

What spark plugs do I need to use for the turbo. I need to sell the supercharger plugs with the blower.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
^which plugs are you using for the s/c?

I bought NGK plugs 2668 for the turbo. They are 2 steps colder then stock.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NGK-2668/

What is rodney running?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 AM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by libert69
^which plugs are you using for the s/c?

I bought NGK plugs 2668 for the turbo. They are 2 steps colder then stock.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NGK-2668/

What is rodney running?

I am still running the plugs that came with the blower since they have worked great. I will look into the summit plugs, thanks for the link.
I am not sure what Rodney is running on his car, but 2-3 steps colder sounds about right.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
any recommendations for a wideband 02 sensor that wont break the bank? will these bosch ones on ebay for 50 beans work?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
any recommendations for a wideband 02 sensor that wont break the bank? will these bosch ones on ebay for 50 beans work?
I've heard those Bosch ones works fine with other turbo setups. Nonetheless, the Innovate LM-1 is one of the best IMO if they have it or even the NTK
Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Safety Car

The oem plug is very hot with a gap that is too wide and the center electrode is too thin. Great for emissions and not having to change it for over a 100,000 miles. Terrible design for preventing pre-ignition in a high performance application.

Heat range does not tell the whole story either. Heat range just classifies a plug for what temperature the plug runs at, the plug as a whole. To really pick a plug that will resist pre-ignition, one needs to consider other design aspects.

For example, that small diameter tip (center electrode) in the oem plug is just begging to become a glow-plug. Same applies to the ground strap design. You want a ground strap that is as short as possible. If the ground strap is long, it is hanging out there in the flame front and the heat has a long distance to travel to dissipate. Again, the plug is just begging to become a glow-plug.

A person will also want a plug with a smaller gap, such as maybe in the 0.032 - 0.036 range. With any typical oem ignition, a large gap becomes very difficult for the spark to jump across when the cylinder pressure is very high (s/c, turbo, nitrous). Big gaps are great for emission control, but bad for high performance engines (misfires).

As a side note, it is highly recommended that a resistor type plug be used. A non-resistor plug has a high probability of causing havoc with our ECU.

Now to look at plug options. Many Honda tuners use and trust the NGK BKR8EIX.

Another option is the NGK BKR7E.

Other than those, there are no other plugs that are commonly recommended for the Honda.

In my opinion, my above recommendations are unacceptable from a design perspective. The BKR8EIX, although being two steps colder, still has a thin center electrode and a ground strap that is too long and too protruded. To me, the BKR8EIX does not meet the requirement of a racing plug for a boosted engine. It might be fine for a n/a engine, but not boosted.

The NGK BKR7E. is a "V-Power" style plug. It has a normal center electrode of normal diameter. Much better. However, it still has a ground strap that is too long and too protruded.

If it was me, I would get the Zex Nitrous Spark Plugs (click here). These meet the full requirements of a racing plug for a boosted engine. Plus, they are easily purchased from Summit or Jegs.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
The oem plug is very hot with a gap that is too wide and the center electrode is too thin. Great for emissions and not having to change it for over a 100,000 miles. Terrible design for preventing pre-ignition in a high performance application.

Heat range does not tell the whole story either. Heat range just classifies a plug for what temperature the plug runs at, the plug as a whole. To really pick a plug that will resist pre-ignition, one needs to consider other design aspects.

For example, that small diameter tip (center electrode) in the oem plug is just begging to become a glow-plug. Same applies to the ground strap design. You want a ground strap that is as short as possible. If the ground strap is long, it is hanging out there in the flame front and the heat has a long distance to travel to dissipate. Again, the plug is just begging to become a glow-plug.

A person will also want a plug with a smaller gap, such as maybe in the 0.032 - 0.036 range. With any typical oem ignition, a large gap becomes very difficult for the spark to jump across when the cylinder pressure is very high (s/c, turbo, nitrous). Big gaps are great for emission control, but bad for high performance engines (misfires).

As a side note, it is highly recommended that a resistor type plug be used. A non-resistor plug has a high probability of causing havoc with our ECU.

Other than those, there are no other plugs that are commonly recommended for the Honda.

In my opinion, my above recommendations are unacceptable from a design perspective. The BKR8EIX, although being two steps colder, still has a thin center electrode and a ground strap that is too long and too protruded. To me, the BKR8EIX does not meet the requirement of a racing plug for a boosted engine. It might be fine for a n/a engine, but not boosted.

The NGK BKR7E. is a "V-Power" style plug. It has a normal center electrode of normal diameter. Much better. However, it still has a ground strap that is too long and too protruded.

If it was me, I would get the Zex Nitrous Spark Plugs (click here). These meet the full requirements of a racing plug for a boosted engine. Plus, they are easily purchased from Summit or Jegs.

Wow. You read my mind and saved a lot of typing. One trick we did using stock ignition into the 660rwhp and 9 second range was to close the gap down to .022". The other was 2 ranges colder but my car started with a fairly cold plug. Like you said for the TL, 3 steps colder is not out of the question. The other thing we did was run an ACcr42ts. The boled "C" was for "commercial" and included a center electrode that was twice as thick and resisted detonation much better regardless of the heat range of the plug. If we could find a plug like this for the TL it would be good.

For those not sure of a 3 range colder plug, run it for a few thousand miles and pull it. If it's not fouling, you're not hurting anything. With my GN, if I ran it easy for a few days in a row without boost it would start fouling but all it took was one WOT run and it ran great. I'm sure this is not a problem for most of us lol.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
I used the zex spark plug when I was spraying. Great plug and did the job well
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got 6 NGK BKR7E spark plugs for sale. PM me.

Originally Posted by Inaccurate

Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
WOW this sure is killer good info !!!

How will this regard to a NA engine !!! Which plug is more suitable ??

1>NGK BKR8EIX.
2>NGK BKR7E
3>NGK IZFR6K11 - Laser Iridium
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts

If you're NA stay with the laser iridium 6.

Last edited by Majofo; 04-08-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:45 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo

If you're NA stay with the laser iridium 6.
i want better plugs LOL !!! laser iridium it is
Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
great to see that this is really coming together guys... can't wait to see the install pics...
Old 04-10-2010, 04:22 AM
"ewa bound"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Good luck fellas.

Less typing, and more wrenching will be a key to your success.

And, pictures tell a thousand words.

exactly, just like yours (avatar pix)
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
i want better plugs LOL !!! laser iridium it is
NGK's laser iridium plugs are very efficient. I don't get what you're sad about.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

ZEX plugs ordered. Hopefully I'll be able to start in on mine this week. I've already got the battery in the trunk, front bumper off and up on jack stands.

Working on putting the A/F and boost controller in the pods that are going on the pillar as Kennedy suggested.

I'm going to help J&R with the install document so I'll be taking pictures as I go along.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Team Owner

The thin wire electrode iridiums are a very good plug. The less plug you have shielding the spark, the better. To a car that's hard on plugs, the thin wire comes secondary.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
kn. can you list everything youve purchased outside of the turbo kit? i want to see how much prep you have done
Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 AM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Also the iridium material the anode is made from is MUCH harder and holds up MUCH better to higher cylinder temps than platnum, it is also much more electrically stable at higher temps.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

So far, this is what I've bought:

Optima Battery, Billet Holder, 0GA Stringer wire, Stringer ANL Fuse Holder and a pair of audio battery terminals.

Motor mounts

Redline Oil

Zex Plugs

AEM UEGO A/F and Tru-Boost Gauges

VDO Gauge Pods

Need a knock monitor.

Need some sort of injection for octane boost, probably going to go with Alkycontrol.

Possibly an oil cooler

Modifications to the bumper to help with airflow.

Going to have to experiment with Air Filters. J&R had surging problems so they are not including it. The roads around here are dusty so I definitely want to find a solution for that.

Also likely going to go with a full 3" exhaust. I want to get the turbo in first to see what the noise level is like without anything attached and will decide on the design from there.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
So far, this is what I've bought:

Optima Battery, Billet Holder, 0GA Stringer wire, Stringer ANL Fuse Holder and a pair of audio battery terminals.

Motor mounts

Redline Oil

Zex Plugs

AEM UEGO A/F and Tru-Boost Gauges

VDO Gauge Pods

Need a knock monitor.

Need some sort of injection for octane boost, probably going to go with Alkycontrol.

Possibly an oil cooler

Modifications to the bumper to help with airflow.

Going to have to experiment with Air Filters. J&R had surging problems so they are not including it. The roads around here are dusty so I definitely want to find a solution for that.

Also likely going to go with a full 3" exhaust. I want to get the turbo in first to see what the noise level is like without anything attached and will decide on the design from there.

What kinda optima did you buy... I need one too.. so..
Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It'll be bad when this is available for the UA7...
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maddizm
What kinda optima did you buy... I need one too.. so..
I bought a 800CCA Group 34 to match the holder. I'll have some pics of it later.

As soon as my lost package arrives, I'll have some pictures to post of my progress.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08