Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Before we leave the topic of methanol safety, I want to discuss one more thing.

The pump should be mount on the exterior of the car. Perhaps under the floorboard somewhere. In light of the story from “I Hate Car” where his friend obviously (IMO) suffered methanol poisoning from a leaky pump system. Plus knowing that a likely cause of pump failure is a leaking pump. I feel that it is very unwise to mount the pump anywhere in the interior. And, I consider the trunk as being part of the interior. There is a direct air interchange between the cabin and the trunk.

These pumps do not like to get wet. Too much dampness is a common reason for failure with these pumps. So, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Just try to pick a spot that you think would keep it somewhat dry when mounted outside or under the car.

This discussion primarily pertains to those running pure methanol. Does a 50/50 water-methanol mixture have similar issues with long-term exposure to fumes?
I don't know how much difference it makes, but Alkycontrol puts a sleeve on the motor to help with the moisture. He installs them on the water bottle location all of the time and says he's had zero failures.

Even so, based on IHC's experience, I'm scared enough to not want it in the interior period. If I have to replace the pump on a given interval, I'm ok with that.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
Man Matt, I think you should go back to the doctor. It sounds like you were both in bad shape for a while.

I never realized how bad methanol is. I've seen so many races where people get soaked with this stuff and the only thing they ever talk about is the invisible flame.

Hope you make a full recovery of this and as Inacc said, thanks for sharing your experience. It certainly heightened my awareness and I will be more careful all around.
Thanks. I'll be fine. I've been around this stuff for many years and this is the first time anything like this has happened and it's a pretty extreme example of meth getting into the cabin and it was drawn out for nearly 2 weeks. Don't be scared of it, just treat it with respect. I'm just glad Inaccurate brought up the symptoms of meth poisoning or I would've never known.

FWIW, the same guy had a line come apart on his turbo Porsche too. Maybe he needs a new mechanic. This one was spraying on the inside passenger fender. I smelled that one from the passenger seat and we got it fixed after only a day. No symptoms that time so I think it has a cumulative effect.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

I don't know how much difference it makes, but Alkycontrol puts a sleeve on the motor to help with the moisture. He installs them on the water bottle location all of the time and says he's had zero failures.

Even so, based on IHC's experience, I'm scared enough to not want it in the interior period. If I have to replace the pump on a given interval, I'm ok with that.
Me and my father have never had a pump failure with an alkycontrol kit with a combined 10+ years. My idiot friend that I posted about a while back that has thoroughly destroyed his GN went through a pump but he was running just about any liquid that he could put in there.

Off topic but one of you guys (Inaccurate) try a search for hydrogen peroxide injection. I tried it once when I was younger and I was lucky to keep the engine together. Never again but it feels like a small nitrous shot.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Off topic but one of you guys (Inaccurate) try a search for hydrogen peroxide injection. I tried it once when I was younger and I was lucky to keep the engine together.

No H2O2 for me.

But, nitromethane is catching my eye sometimes. Easily mixes with pure methanol and my methanol supplier sells it. Hummm... But, nitrous+methanol is enough to keep me busy.

I read that VP Methanol M5 has something similar to nitromethane added to the M5 alky.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

No H2O2 for me.

But, nitromethane is catching my eye sometimes. Easily mixes with pure methanol and my methanol supplier sells it. Hummm... But, nitrous+methanol is enough to keep me busy.

I read that VP Methanol M5 has something similar to nitromethane added to the M5 alky.
I think we're kind of in the same boat. I'm pushing more hp than I should on the stock bottom so more hp does not interest me right now. I think you're going to be in the same boat. But back when the car was a little more stock I took an interest in hydrogen peroxide and tried if for a few short runs. It just seemed too uncontrollable and 02s went very lean and inconsistant at the same time. It almost seemed like it needed it's own fuel enrichment. At that point in time I decided to drop it and add some more go fast parts. I didn't want to get into something I didn't fully understand and there was very little info on it used in cars back then.

I would be interested in the nitro, even used in your off the bottle methanol kit. That would be something I would do to my TL for an occasional boost. However, I have no idea how much timing to pull, what AF to shoot for, nothing. It would be a whole new learning curve and I'm a little scared to do it on my only DD. But if someone else did a little experimenting first......
Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

No symptoms that time so I think it has a cumulative effect.
I did some more reading last night on methanol safety.

Many sources hint that it is the vapors (aka, fumes) that are the most dangerous form of contact. That is, the vapors are more harmful than contact with the liquid.

Yes, it is cumulative. I read one source that indicated that the body will expel small amounts of methanol absorbed into the blood stream. The body is able to handle these small amounts. Once the exposure concentration exceeds the rate at which the body is able to expel it, then the methanol begins to accumulate inside the body (aka, cumulative), thus leading to methanol poisoning.

(click here for source)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

But if someone else did a little experimenting first......
Actually, a lot of guys on the internet have already. I did some light reading (google'ing) just "to test the waters" on this topic. Plus like I said, VP is doing something very similar with their M5 flavor of methanol.

Plus, Snow sells their Nitro Boost (click here) -

"A proprietary blend of nitro methane and a specially developed emulsifier that keeps Nitro Booster™ equally distributed in the water-methanol mixture. Usually, around 30 to 50hp increase can be measured. ...acts like a chemical supercharger and an octane enhancer to safely increase power. "
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

I pulled the trigger on the Alkycontrol kit. One thing that impressed me was Julio's communication was excellent.
Good choice. I have read nothing bad about AlkyControl. I have read many positive comments on other forums from AlkyControl customers that have used AlkyControl for years.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Team Owner

Actually, a lot of guys on the internet have already. I did some light reading (google'ing) just "to test the waters" on this topic. Plus like I said, VP is doing something very similar with their M5 flavor of methanol.

Plus, Snow sells their Nitro Boost (click here) -

"A proprietary blend of nitro methane and a specially developed emulsifier that keeps Nitro Booster™ equally distributed in the water-methanol mixture. Usually, around 30 to 50hp increase can be measured. ...acts like a chemical supercharger and an octane enhancer to safely increase power. "
Very interesting. I may research it. Hopefully I can use it in my alkycontrol kit with no mods since I don't expect the GN to run for another year. At least that way I could do a trial run and buy a separate kit for the TL is I like it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Woooooow !

Excellent pics. The eyes like the eye candy.

Looks like it’s close to being cranked-up.

Thanks for the pics Bert
Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
18psi

^Actually it was started and sounded like a beast with the down pipe not attached to the exhaust.

Rodney quickly discovered that the fuel map (I think thats what its called) is different for the auto and manual. He has a preloaded base map from his 6-speed TL on my FIC but the car wouldnt start. He had to change a whole bunch of things in the map just to get the car to start.

He said that he has to make a brand new map from scratch for the auto. He should be able to finish everything tomorrow
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Why is your waste gate on the top? Mine faces down next to the fans. Maybe it's a auto tranny thing? I thought Rodney's car had the waste gate on top too. Weird.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Safety Car

I've noticed there are differences between my charge pipes and yours. Bert's are different than both of us.

If he didn't have an AT to mock up, maybe he did that to make sure it would fit.

I had to mount my intercooler lower than what you have to make the pipes work. But he also sectioned the charge pipes differently. I actually had to remove the air dam because the lip on it made the intercooler hit the bumper support. So I couldn't sandwich the power steering cooler as he did with yours. I don't want to have a problem with my insurance co if I get into an accident so I am going to live with what I have.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Safety Car

Forgot to say thanks for the pics Bert. Glad to see you are finally getting your kit.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 AM
18psi

There are few little differences between the auto and 6 speed setups. Space was the issue with the auto trans. Car will be done today but if it rains then the dyno will be pushed back until tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

Dyno dyno dyno dyno

Did someone say dyno ?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^

i know how you feel inaccurate LOL.... your like
Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Dyno dyno dyno dyno

Did someone say dyno ?
I know...I am curious to see what I am making for HP now.

Got shipping dates for all my goods. They'll all be waiting for me when I get back.

It's like Christmas for me. Also have an Iphone 4 waiting for my return!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
There are few little differences between the auto and 6 speed setups. Space was the issue with the auto trans. Car will be done today but if it rains then the dyno will be pushed back until tomorrow.
once all the kinks get worked out for the AT... im going to have to start saving for this... man!!! great progress!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
18psi

Car is up and running. Had a little problem late last night. The car threw a CEL...p2138 (Accelerator Position Sensor/Throttle position sensor)

Ive been having problems the last few months with the car surging and jerking forward from a stop when trying to accelerate. I knew it was the APP sensor but I never changed it. So last night the car finally threw the CEL for the APP sensor and the throttle would basically go dead. We changed out the sensor (after calling 10 different dealers for the part) this morning and no more problems.

Also, the brand new walbro fuel pump I have is no good. Rodney said the check valve inside the pump was getting stuck and hardly any fuel was getting through. We are getting a new pump tomorrow. Stock pump is still in place for now with the crushed fuel regulator

It has been raining in NJ the past 2 days so we have not gone to the dyno yet. However, tomorrow is going to be sunny all day and we have a date with the dyno. But first we need to go over to the welder and the have the aluminum bung welded into the intake pipe for the meth nozzle.

I have to get good use out of my HD camera so heres a few vids we made while Rodney street tunes the car. In the vids the car has an open downpipe and is running very rich.

TURN YOUR SPEAKERS UP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewqOstYVwdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3N_2b7sXvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhs6kfA8Bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvOao2-ze5U

Got flames?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWUpGSOw_XU
Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Team Owner

I love the sound!

Please be careful with the stock fuel pump, it will blow if you stay in the boost with it. Check out the thread, it might have been yours, where I posted about all of the fake Walbros around. There are very few places you can get a guaranteed real one. It's not the vendor's fault, they're being copied by China and it's hard to tell a real one from a fake one. It costed me a couple of blown headgaskets.

I can't tell if you're spinning and hitting the rev limiter before it can shift on some videos or if it's loading up and cutting out in some of them. What happens if you just stand on the throttle and let it shift itself.

I think these early days with the turbo+auto trans are going to be very critical on whether or not it holds up. It's your car but I would like to help as much as I can to help catch any potential problems before they become fatal for the car. I really have high hopes for this one.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
running a little rich are we? lol..

Sounds mean Bert.

Bert try letting off between upshifts. It might help your AT stay healthy.

Last edited by Majofo; 07-14-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 PM
18psi

^I remember reading your post on the fake Walbros. I dont know what vendor Rodney used to get the pump so I cant comment. On the other hand, the shop we are going to tomorrow is very reputable. Bruces Speed Shop. He actually had a very nice GN outside the shop a few days with some extremely wide tires on the rear lol

In all of the these videos the car didnt see past 5k rpms. Rodney was driving and Im almost positive he kept the car is SS mode in 2nd gear. Thats why you can hear the lag when he hits the throttle and he is only going about 10-15 mph.

When we drove around a little early (before the vids) it seemed clear to me that ss mode is really no good for driving anymore. It takes too long for the shift to happen. I havent driven the car yet but once I do I will be paying extra attention to the way the car shifts and report back.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Awesome !!! "Alive! It's alive! It's alive! " :gheywave:

It’s my bedtime but I *had* to watch this before turning off the computer.

Damn good videos Bert. Thank you so much for allowing us in on this journey.

I love the people on the street yelling “slow down”… at least that is what it sounded like to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
18psi

IHC,

Rodney just told me that he was building the load and then dumping the throttle because he wanted to stay out of boost since there is no tune yet. No where near the rev limiter

More vids to come
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
I had the same problem with my AP sensor. Apprently if its almost gone, the FIC just pushes it over the edge. Another $130 down the drain.

Sounds nice though. Lets bring it to englishtown and see what it can do against a s/c.

Last edited by AckTL05; 07-15-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by libert69
IHC,

Rodney just told me that he was building the load and then dumping the throttle because he wanted to stay out of boost since there is no tune yet. No where near the rev limiter

More vids to come
Nice. I can't wait to see this thing fully tuned. I love it when the boost hits and the tires don't even begin to hold. I bet it's fighting for tracition in third.

Seeing just how quickly the rpms shoot up I'm almost worried that the auto won't react quick enough in the first couple gears and you might be banging the rev limiter before it can shift. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
what about type-s owners? i was told we cant utilize the CT SC?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I know...I am curious to see what I am making for HP now.

Got shipping dates for all my goods. They'll all be waiting for me when I get back.

It's like Christmas for me. Also have an Iphone 4 waiting for my return!!!
pm me your address plz.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltah
what about type-s owners? i was told we cant utilize the CT SC?
You can but you will need to get an FIC and some slight modifications. This is the turbo thread, which a member also turbo'd his type s. His name is XAMIRIO, probably spelt wrong.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I got the Shifts

Nice. I can't wait to see this thing fully tuned. I love it when the boost hits and the tires don't even begin to hold. I bet it's fighting for tracition in third.

Seeing just how quickly the rpms shoot up I'm almost worried that the auto won't react quick enough in the first couple gears and you might be banging the rev limiter before it can shift. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Good luck!
you can potentially bypass this by using SS to shift sooner than normal. i know the 3g's have a delay.

my 2g was instant but im sure it was wired different
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by AckTL05
You can but you will need to get an FIC and some slight modifications. This is the turbo thread, which a member also turbo'd his type s. His name is XAMIRIO, probably spelt wrong.
xiomaro
Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
you rang? lol
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Xiomaro,

Is the turbo still installed on your car? Or was it just temporarily installed so that Rodney could test it?

If you still have the turbo, would you mind giving us an update on how "life with the turbo" has been for you? Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
my car has the turbo still. However it's been undergoing surgery for better performance and a couple minor manufacturers issues. I had bought a CM lightweight kit while the car was NA, so we ran it on that for the first numbers and we are going to swap back to OEM setup with the P2R disc and see how that goes.

I myself have not been driving the car, i've just been letting the master handle what needs to be done, lol. I personally have been getting other things lined up with my body guys and exhaust guy to change a few things aesthetically when he gets finished. So for the meanwhile i've been preoccupied with that.

I know everyone is in a hurry to see results and vids and whatnot, but i've just been chill...
Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

More Methanol Memos

Methanol Injection - Failed Instant Tubing Fitting (click here)
Old 07-16-2010, 12:18 AM
18psi

342whp uncorrected using a dynojet at 8psi. Torque was estimated around 280lbs but could not be measured at the time. Another dyno day tomorrow at a better place. No meth yet. Still needs some fine tuning then we can start spraying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gniHvOE6FAw
Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
TQ seems weak but the power sounds good. I been too busy to get mine retuned, maybe next week. I'm waiting on my meth kit anyways so I can tune with it. AEM for me.

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08