Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyman
So if I buy a TL - S do I have to have those ugly wheels or can I choose something else? (at no additional cost)
And are the TL-S wheels 18's?
Oh I'm sure they will have opts for the wheels, in fact I'd like to get mine with 17's, 18's are a pain in the snow, it the bigger the slower. you can always do the current a-spec wheels
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it me or does the Type-S headlights look narrower than the base TL?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
MusicMan220

I was told by the internet manager that any Type S TL would come with 18" wheels. I asked about this because I prefer the 17" wheels for the slightly smoother ride. I will be getting an '07 TL Base 6MT.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
2007 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by vtec 6300
Is it me or does the Type-S headlights look narrower than the base TL?
They look the same to me but they appear to have different inside headlamps.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
2007 NBP TL-S

Smile

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
Oh I'm sure they will have opts for the wheels, in fact I'd like to get mine with 17's, 18's are a pain in the snow, it the bigger the slower. you can always do the current a-spec wheels
We don't get much snow here in Canada. Vancouver that is.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MusicMan220
I was told by the internet manager that any Type S TL would come with 18" wheels. I asked about this because I prefer the 17" wheels for the slightly smoother ride. I will be getting an '07 TL Base 6MT.

You know, I really don't see a reason to get an '07 TL Base over the '06.

You could save several thousand dollars on an '06. Perhaps this isn't an issue, but is it really worth it to pay all that extra money for a different tail lights, a backup camera, an ipod hookup, uglier wheels?

If a bunch of the deficincies in the '04-'06 haven't been fixed like:

No auto headlights
No CD-Text
No RDS
No MP3
ipod hookup that doesn't even display artist/song title information (biggest joke ever)
No bluetooth phonebook integration
etc...

I don't see the value of it....
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

My simple response.... I am MORE than happy with my '06 A-Spec that I purchased a couple weeks ago. NO REGRETS!!

Ben
Old 08-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by Wyman
We don't get much snow here in Canada. Vancouver that is.
Yeah well we do in Chicago
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 AM
MusicMan220

Originally Posted by 56Oval

You could save several thousand dollars on an '06. Perhaps this isn't an issue, but is it really worth it to pay all that extra money for a different tail lights, a backup camera, an ipod hookup, uglier wheels?

No auto headlights
No CD-Text
No RDS
No MP3
ipod hookup that doesn't even display artist/song title information (biggest joke ever)
etc...

I am waiting till Sept. 1 to hear the real details before I make a final decision. But real time traffic updates for the NAV on the '07 TL are of real interest and value to me in the Dallas Forth Worth metroplex area. Also, once I get a car, tend to drive it forever, so waiting for the newest improvements (if any) makes sense to me.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Racer

I don't think we're getting auto on/off headlights, but who knows ?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Racer

Don't you have to pay for the real time traffic, sort of like XM?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kamal
Manual can have paddle shifters too, clutch "n" shift like most race cars, who don't have a manual gear stick, they're all steering mounted shifters.

Not sure I follow the logic in your statement, in both cases the computer is making the internal gear changes, however the only way I see it being "faster" with paddle shifters is that the paddle shifter is a "touch n click" gear change as opposed to the actual arm movement sliding the gear stick from gear to gear.

However "real world" operating times of either of the above techniques will be downright negligible unless the only reason you're buying your TL is to race it everyday at a local circuit that even a few tenths of a second lag will affect you in a noticeable way.
I don't know about everybody else, but racing is not the reason for me that a fraction of a second makes a difference. When I need to pass someone on a 2-lane road, for instance, there are several things which make it significantly easier (and safer) to pass in a manual.
1) That fraction of a second is important. Sometimes I may not see my opportunity until it's time to go, and the manual will get me into the lower gear faster.
2) Timing is important. If I do see my spot opening up in a moment, I can change gears, and leave the clutch in until it's time to go. This way I can release the clutch naturally in the lower gear, and there is zero lag time when I need to go. (This all happens in very short time. I don't hold my clutch in for very long at highway speeds.)
3) Perhaps most important is complete control over gear selection. I know that when I go into a gear, it's going to stay in that gear until I take it out. If I'm driving an automatic and I forget to put it into manual mode, then there's a good possibility that the transmission will change gears on me while I'm passing. If that happens, I lose a precious second where I lose power to my tires, when I need consistent power the most to get me around the vehicle I'm passing.

And about manual mode on an automatic, it's definitely nice for when I have to drive an automatic (ie rental car), but it does not provide the same kind of synergy between myself and the car that a manual does. I often find that I go into a gear one too low and the engine rev's. I attribute this to two things:
1) When I drive my car (a manual), I will often rest my hand on the stick shift, especially if I'm going to need to think about downshifting. This allows me to feel the vibrations of the engine, which gives extremely tactile feedback and feel connected to the car. Since an automatic's manual mode is all electronic, it does not provide this tactile feedback.
2) When you shift from one gear to another on a manual, say from 4th gear to 3rd gear, you move the shifter from the 4 position to the 3 position. When shifting from 3rd to 2nd, you move from 3 to 2, which is totally different and feels different. On an auto in manual mode, you do the exact same thing to move from 4 to 3 as from 3 to 2: you move the shifter to the "-" momentarily (or paddle shift). Thus, you cannot tell by shifting what gear you're moving to. With the lack of tactile feedback, and the lack of apparent difference between gear moves, the only way to see what gears you're moving to/from is to look at the dash, which is much less intuitive.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I find this type of thing very hard to put into words, and still I feel like I wasn't able to do it justice.

I know that many people choose an auto transmission for a car, for many great reasons, most of which are valid. I just hope one of them is not "because it allows you to shift faster than a manual does."

My very long
Old 08-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dampfnudel
...One more thing, does anyone know if Cool Blue Metallic will be available for the TL (or is the blue '07 TL the new blue color) ? I was just curious since the '07 Accord sedan will come in that nicer looking blue.
I was wondering the same thing about Cool Blue.

The blue shown on the Type S is probably Sapphire Blue that is used on the Accord.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Intermediate

No auto headlights
No CD-Text
No RDS
No MP3
etc...

-Isn't the MSRP only $700 different between the base '06 and '07?
-The wheels on the base '07 look just like the wheels on the base '06
-Apple just last week anounced they're going to have full IPod integration with Ford, GM, and Mazda, so no one has this yet and unless you want a car from one of those manufactures you won't be able to get it in an '07 http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...iton20060803_1
-You also forgot about the paddle shifters, fog lights, small spoiler, and better nav.

So yes, I think it is probably worth paying more for the '07, not a lot more though so I'm going to wait until at least the auto show.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moving Target
-Isn't the MSRP only $700 different between the base '06 and '07?

So yes, I think it is probably worth paying more for the '07, not a lot more though so I'm going to wait until at least the auto show.

You really can't compare an '06 and '07 at MSRP this time of year. The '06 will be discounted $2-3k off of list. And an '07 is going to be right near list. I went through this same thing when I bought my '05 in August last year -- it was significantly cheaper because the dealer was motivated to move it.

And I do agree, if they fix all of those issues with the '07, and you like the new front end w/lower fog lights, pay the extra $2500-$3500 that it's going to cost you.

In my mind the changes we've heard about so far, and the negatives of the new "TSX-ized" front end (my opinion) make the difference between the '06 and '07 not worth the cost differential.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced

Most people are bitching about the TL-S still being FWD and how it's too much power for the front wheels. So what!?! It's only a MMC and plus, how many tear the wheels loose on highway driving or when merging trying to pass someone in their TL now? All this talk about the new G and is350 being faster and what not need to stop assuming just by reading numbers. Granted these cars will get off the line a little quicker, but I don't care. Knowing that I could have a car fully loaded with great features and have plenty of room with a nice interior and exterior to boot, while paying under 40k for it, is a victory in itself. I think this car will be as fast or maybe even faster on highway pulls. What about the snow? Ah a car with multiple driving capabilities, not just being able to drive fine in regular weather.

Just wait 1 1/2 to 2 years when the TL will most likely get the SH-AWD and 300+, along with a sexy body. If the current TL's can just about keep up with the competition is road tests now with front wheel drive, just imagine what it will do with the SH-AWD. Be patient my friends.........
Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

You really can't compare an '06 and '07 at MSRP this time of year. The '06 will be discounted $2-3k off of list. And an '07 is going to be right near list. I went through this same thing when I bought my '05 in August last year -- it was significantly cheaper because the dealer was motivated to move it.

And I do agree, if they fix all of those issues with the '07, and you like the new front end w/lower fog lights, pay the extra $2500-$3500 that it's going to cost you.

There are other reasons to get an '07 at the end of this year. After having the car for 3 years to the end of '09, you basically have a 2 year old car. You would be selling an '07 in '09. So it will be more valuable for sale / trade in (depending on how many miles you put on it).
Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by chfields
Don't you have to pay for the real time traffic, sort of like XM?
Yes. On the RL forum, they are suppose to get the first year free with their XM radio. After that, Service Pricing:

XM NavTraffic only: $9.95 per month
XM NavTraffic and XM audio combined: $12.95 audio plus $3.99 = $16.94 per month

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2402

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/get_nav.jsp
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Racer

Thanks thats what I thought. I wonder if we will get that free for 3 mos w/07 TL?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Racer

I won't be able to purchase until Sept or Oct, I intend to keep the car long term (10+yrs), So, am I better off getting an 06 at a discount, or pay the extra $2-$3 for the 07 (base)?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:02 AM
TLove

Originally Posted by BBoz
There are other reasons to get an '07 at the end of this year. After having the car for 3 years to the end of '09, you basically have a 2 year old car. You would be selling an '07 in '09. So it will be more valuable for sale / trade in (depending on how many miles you put on it).
yes it will be more value, but you also paid more for it...

if you buy an 06 now, and trade it in 09, yes it will have a lower resale trade-in value compared to an 07, however, since you got a 2-3k discount on the 06, that IDEALLY should make up for the trade-in value difference.
but theres too many factors for that to be the case most of the time.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont know about this logic. owning more cars within a given number of years is always more expensive than waiting, period!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Racer

Also, if you get the '06 and trade it in in '09 you have way less miles than most '06's will have because you are buying it very late in the model year. This will narrow the gap in the price differential.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
10th Gear

Does the 07 have a rearview camera. It seems that way from the Autoweek pictures? And also what are the extra buttons on the new Steering wheel.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLBLADE
Does the 07 have a rearview camera. It seems that way from the Autoweek pictures? And also what are the extra buttons on the new Steering wheel.
Yes it has the rearview camera and people are speculating the extra buttons are some commonly used that are already by the nav screen.

Just also wanted to point out that we really don't know if the 2007 will have mp3 playback or not. Maybe they haven't highlighted that in what's been released so far because everyone else already had that and it's not as big of a deal as the new S model. They also really haven't said a lot about the updated nav except for the traffic updating part.

I have some general questions for those of you in the know out there.

-Is it best to get the A Spec from the dealer or would there be a better way from some other source?

-Generally how much more is it to apply the A Spec stuff?

-What oct gas do you guys use in your current TL's?

-Do you think it would be better to buy the 2007 (price wise) around the autoshow (Feb for me here in Cleveland) or wait until April/Mayish?

If I wait too long I'll be going through this debate with the 07 versus the 08 models and I bet they do the total redesign in 08 because that's how my luck normally goes.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was looking at the XM NavTraffic Acura website, and I noticed that the '07 TL is not listed as being available with NavTraffic. I hope that this is because Acura requested that they hold off on putting it on the website until after the Sept. 1 official unveiling...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the 06 TL Navi to the new software to include the new XM NavTraffic???
Old 08-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura98TL
Does anyone know if you can upgrade the 06 TL Navi to the new software to include the new XM NavTraffic???
As far as I know, it's a hardware upgrade (navi).
Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by TLBLADE
They run the trip computer. rather then using the buttons by the sped cluster
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura98TL
We're speculating you can buy the Nav Drive/DVD for $2200+ and the upgrade would be plug an play.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

This thread is way too long! I say we start a 2008 Acura TL thread...and if we start now, it can be double the length of this one.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Advanced

This is my last question..

I didn't read the entire thread, so is there a 6 speed manual?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kennedy
We're speculating you can buy the Nav Drive/DVD for $2200+ and the upgrade would be plug an play.
Someone said this before, Why would you pay more than $2000 when the whole navi system was only a $2000 option when purchasing the car which includes the screen
Old 08-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Moving Target
Yes it has the rearview camera and people are speculating the extra buttons are some commonly used that are already by the nav screen. <snipped>
What is the source of information regarding the rearview camera?

Nevermind, I see from the AutoWeek picture # 17 the Navi display showing the rearward view.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by whatjones911
Someone said this before, Why would you pay more than $2000 when the whole navi system was only a $2000 option when purchasing the car which includes the screen
Because getting the parts seperate from the car always costs more.
Someone will do it. I plan to, but I'll buy from a junkyard.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM
04 TL Black on Black

found a site with all the info

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60808002/1024

its got pictures of the 2007 TL type s and just the TL. hope this isnt old already.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by italia8287
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60808002/1024

its got pictures of the 2007 TL type s and just the TL. hope this isnt old already.
Come on!! You should know that link was posted on page 63!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:46 PM
The Voice of Reason

Any guess about price?

(I like the brake-dust colored wheels!)
Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bob shiftright

I think you are the only one.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by bob shiftright
Any guess about price?

I think they look like brown shoes with a tuxedo (to borrow from George Gobel). If the rest of the trim weren't nice bright shiny chrome and aluminum, they might look better, but they kinda look like a mismatch to me ...

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1