Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:05 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBoz
Interesting that everything points to that being a type-S from what we have seen here, but the exhausts are the same as the base model. No quad exhausts as reported.
There are two different cars in the pictures. Top row and the bottom left (in front of gas station) are all TL. The bottom middle is TL-S (wheels and clear side marker). The bottom right also looks like the TL-S based on the pedals.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

The 2007 Infiniti G35 is going to rape the 2007 Acura TL in sales, features, etc. I bet we'll see steep discounts on the 2007 Acura TL shortly after release. The 2007 Acura TL really needed a SmartAccess System, AFS, a better Acura Navigation System ( Infiniti's and Lexus's systems have high-resolution displays ), and an upgraded ELS Surround Sound System. Even if you lose money, sometimes companies have to match the offerings of competitors just to stay competitive. So far, Acura hasn't done that.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:09 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by S L I C K
The 2007 Infiniti G35 is going to rape the 2007 Acura TL in sales, features, etc. I bet we'll see steep discounts on the 2007 Acura TL shortly after release. The 2007 Acura TL really needed a SmartAccess System, AFS, a better Acura Navigation System ( Infiniti's and Lexus's systems have high-resolution displays ), and an upgraded ELS Surround Sound System. Even if you lose money, sometimes companies have to match the offerings of competitors just to stay competitive. So far, Acura hasn't done that.
Slick, I know that you love the G35, I have been following this thread for the last month and you keep bringing it up... here is the deal - drive the car before you talk!!! And also stop repeating yourself unless of course you are dealer trying to advertise here.

I have carved up mountain roads and autocrossed / road rallied in several cars and the the G35 (2005) figures very low on my list of cars as far as handling. Even my trusty '99 Accord tracks way better than the G35x that I drove. For that matter even the TL is not that much fun to throw around corners, but is way better. Here are some cars that I driven more than a bit in the last few years, in order of the handling that I liked (I am not including the two-seaters or other wise good cars that I haven't driven in a while such as the '96 Maxima SE). My main criteria is steering feel and ability to place the car on the apex (or on a dime) time after time. I have noted what I don't like about each one the most.

----- My favorites ------
1. BMW 325i sport package
2. Audi S4
3. BMW 325i
4. TSX
5. Civic Si (1999)

----- Very good handling -----
6. TL
7. Passat Wagon AWD / Audi A4
8. Accord (1999)

----- Umm, will not be happy spending my money on -----
9. Lexus IS250 AWD - (vague steering feel typical of all toyota / lexus)
10. G35x - (inconsistant tracking... something was interfering with my driving, maybe electronic steering (does it have one?), maybe over-zealous stability control)
11. Jetta GL - (too much front-end weight and understeer)
12. Passat FWD - (same as jetta + more body roll)
13. Ponitac Vibe - (front end plows if you hit a road irregularity in a corner)

And for those of you who harp about RWD handling... try driving a beautiful Grand Marquis or Town Car. Its not the wheels being driven alone, it is the entire setup that counts.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That new TL grille is so pointy now at the bottom since they enlarged it. I use to think the '04 to '06 TL grille is kinda big already, more pronounced on darker colored cars. I don't know what to say for the larger grille on the newer model...
Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr_rags
Slick, I know that you love the G35, I have been following this thread for the last month and you keep bringing it up... here is the deal - drive the car before you talk!!! And also stop repeating yourself unless of course you are dealer trying to advertise here.

I have carved up mountain roads and autocrossed / road rallied in several cars and the the G35 (2005) figures very low on my list of cars as far as handling. Even my trusty '99 Accord tracks way better than the G35x that I drove. For that matter even the TL is not that much fun to throw around corners, but is way better. Here are some cars that I driven more than a bit in the last few years, in order of the handling that I liked (I am not including the two-seaters or other wise good cars that I haven't driven in a while such as the '96 Maxima SE). My main criteria is steering feel and ability to place the car on the apex (or on a dime) time after time. I have noted what I don't like about each one the most.

2. Audi S4
3. BMW 325i
4. TSX
5. Civic Si (1999)

6. TL
8. Accord (1999)

10. G35x - (inconsistant tracking... something was interfering with my driving, maybe electronic steering (does it have one?), maybe over-zealous stability control)

And for those of you who harp about RWD handling... try driving a beautiful Grand Marquis or Town Car. Its not the wheels being driven alone, it is the entire setup that counts.
I think what SLICK is trying to say is that the new G35 is better in paper than the TL, which it is. We have to get to test these cars on the road (G35 & TL-S) to see which is a better car. The 2007 interior is beating the TL in everything. The ext is beaten by the TL. The question comes down to which is a better performance in real life? I believe the G35 will prove to be the winner this time around and beat the BMW 330i as well. In, a feature, tech, HP, drive train, new sheatmetals, is going to be the sub $50K car. The TL has to catch up to the G35 as well as the 330i. I'm pretty sure known that most of us went to the infinity dealer and test drove the G35. Is a nice ride, but the quality and the feel through us off? I believe this issue has been corrected for 2007 and it will be another era this time around, especially with the TL-S increase weight in the front and the engine being in front of the FWD. Is simple, if you want a decent and reliable $40K car get a TL. If you want that and performance get a G35. The G35 step up in class and is now going to be the leader for the next 2 years (in my eyes).
Old 08-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by dr_rags

2. Audi S4
3. BMW 325i
4. TSX
5. Civic Si (1999)

6. TL
8. Accord (1999)

I don't love the 2007 Infiniti G35. As of right now the 2007 Infiniti G35 seems to be delivering a lot more than the 2007 Acura TL will deliver ( features, options, etc. ). Of course the 2007 Infiniti G35 will be more expensive than the 2007 Acura TL and Acura fanatics can argue that the 2007 Acura TL is cheaper and that's why it doesn't have all those gadgets that the 2007 Infiniti G35 offers, but then the 2007 Acura TL has lost its value appeal. The whole point behind value is that you offer everything ( or more ) that the competition offers at a cheaper price. The 2004 Acura TL did that, but the 2007 Acura TL won't. Acura could have easily implemented all of the features ( keyless access, high-resolution navigation display, upgraded sound system, push-button start / stop, AFS, etc. ) that the 2007 Infiniti G35 has into the 2007 Acura TL, but they decided not to because Acura wants to maintain the economies of scale they have with the 3TL.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 PM

The 3TL has become a cheaper alternative rather than a better value for MY 2007.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:08 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Can't decide if I like those new split-spoke wheels or not -

They look good from head-on, but the deeply-set center hub and all the nooks and crannies make my head hurt. I HATE cleaing up wheels with a thousand places for dirt to hide.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Acura98TL
Here is the link for the spy test pics....

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=598035
The more i look at the TL the more i like it, but the only thing i dislike now is those side mirrors (too curvy and lights too big) I think the 04-06 TL's had the best designed side mirrors
Old 08-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Instructor

A car manufacture should deliver three things; Power, design, and profit. Acura is just doing two with the TL (design and profit). The RL is doing just profit. The TSX is doing the design and profit The 07 G35 and the 300C are the only two vehicles’ right now to deliver all three. Remember, if you want the power you need a different platform. FWD won’t cut it. Anything over 250-260 HP is just wasted HP and torque to the Front wheels. Anybody installing super chargers and turbo are just decreasing the life of these cars.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
i wish the base TL didn't have those 2 white sections on the tail lights

i think the Type-S tail lights are just right
Old 08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Racer

I don't love the 2007 Infiniti G35. As of right now the 2007 Infiniti G35 seems to be delivering a lot more than the 2007 Acura TL will deliver ( features, options, etc. ). Of course the 2007 Infiniti G35 will be more expensive than the 2007 Acura TL and Acura fanatics can argue that the 2007 Acura TL is cheaper and that's why it doesn't have all those gadgets that the 2007 Infiniti G35 offers, but then the 2007 Acura TL has lost its value appeal. The whole point behind value is that you offer everything ( or more ) that the competition offers at a cheaper price. The 2004 Acura TL did that, but the 2007 Acura TL won't. Acura could have easily implemented all of the features ( keyless access, high-resolution navigation display, upgraded sound system, push-button start / stop, AFS, etc. ) that the 2007 Infiniti G35 has into the 2007 Acura TL, but they decided not to because Acura wants to maintain the economies of scale they have with the 3TL.
Just wait for the '09 TL when the TL is completely redesigned. No car mfr is going to make all these upgrades you listed in a mid generation refresh. THey shouldn't have even come back out with the Type S IMO.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnAboy
i wish the base TL didn't have those 2 white sections on the tail lights

i think the Type-S tail lights are just right
Will the base TL and TL-S have different tail lights? I didn't notice there was a difference.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatjones911
Honda/Acura redesigns their cars too fast, making people who own them feel like their's are outdated. So our TL will be old news in 2 years and look less striking when they have the facelift next year
i agree!!!!!
god...that part just pisses me off
Old 08-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Racer

Probably by this time next year, even Honda's own 8th-gen Accord (EX-V6/Navi) will be a better option than the TL with features like SmartAccess, HID's, aux. jack/2nd-gen iPod Link, improved Navi with higher resolution, bluetooth and more.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda Fan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I only had a dollar for every time someone dropped 'G35' on this thread... where did the acura forum go? I was hoping to read up on the new TL. LOL. What a thread! I like the new car but not NEARLY enough to trade in my '04 A-Spec. It will always be a mean, sweet looking car. The Type-S is cool but the 3.5L isn't worth it. Plus uses more gas. The fogs are an afterthought...

Regardless of the above, like it or not, technology moves along and you just have to be happy with what you have. I know I am!

A novel idea: wait 'til '09 to trade up. The depreciation hit of buying a new car off the lot will be worth it when the '09 TL spanks the crap out of whatever is on sale at the time
Old 08-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilt
Just wait for the '09 TL when the TL is completely redesigned. No car mfr is going to make all these upgrades you listed in a mid generation refresh. THey shouldn't have even come back out with the Type S IMO.
All I have to say is 2007 Acura RDX. What innovative technology has Acura put in that vehicle? No AFS, no Push-Button Start / Stop System, no power passenger seat, same old Acura Satellite Navigation System, no LED taillights, no Day / Night Rear-View Mirror, etc. It's a $37,000+ vehicle. I guess we have to wait until 2008 when Acura finally catches up with the competition.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe i can hope for the CL to come back and possibly in the type-s form
Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

All I have to say is ...
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I totally agree with you. Everyone might aswell wait for the '09 TL and keep their current vehicles, that's if we're all driving a decent car. I would like to think that most of us on this thread has an '04 - '06 TL, or late 2nd gen TL, so we all should be able to wait another 2 years. I don't think our TLs are going to break down between now and then, so it won't hurt to wait and see what Acura has in store for '09. If the '07 TL had all the bells and whistles everyone is crying about, what new would be left for them to include in the '09 TL? And then the price would go way up and everyone would complain that the TL is too expensive. Believe it or not people, Acura/Honda is a very smart company. They give you what you NEED, not what you want! Do we really NEED push button/keyless start? NO we don't! The car will still get you from point A to point B. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the latest and greatest technology, but at the end of the day I have to ask myself, "Am I going to really use this, is this really necessary?". Look at Nissan/Infinity with their heated steering wheels. Who the hell gets in a car, and waits for the car to warm so they can drive because the steering wheel is too cold? Sure this feature is nice to have but is it necessary? Do I wish the TL had this feature? NO!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All I have to say is 2007 Acura RDX. What innovative technology has Acura put in that vehicle? No AFS, no Push-Button Start / Stop System, no power passenger seat, same old Acura Satellite Navigation System, no LED taillights, no Day / Night Rear-View Mirror, etc. It's a $37,000+ vehicle. I guess we have to wait until 2008 when Acura finally catches up with the competition.
I have to agree with you. There is no excuse why Acura would bring out an all-new platform and not have ground breaking features in it. The RDX is not handicapped like the TL, which is in a refresh year and still has 2 years left in its gen. This is a new vehicle, new class, new market. Acura should have come out with guns blazing. The vehicle is still excellent, mind you, but from a technology standpoint it's not. I just hope and pray that Acura won't do the same for the '09 TL, because I plan on trading in my '05 TL for it. When the '04 TL debuted, nobody had bluetooth, DVD audio and the excellent Nav., which was the best in the industry until recently. I believe that history will repeat itself in 2008 when the '09 TL blows the doors off it's competitors with new features, technology and a sick exterior like the TL did back in 2003!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Ac Man
I believe that history will repeat itself in 2008 when the '09 TL blows the doors off it's competitors with new features, technology and a sick exterior like the TL did back in 2003!!!

My opinion is, if you have a TL already, wait for the major redesign. If you don't, look at the TL-S after the first month or so as I'm SURE we'll see threads with "I got a good deal....." etc.. It is, after all, a MMC, what did you all expect? I wanted AWD but didn't expect it. (Of course, if AWD had been an option, I'd have dropped my '04 to the dealer for a trade deal at the drop of a hat for $39k, but that's in another universe now. ).

The G35 seems great on paper, but no one has driven either that or the TL-S yet, so I'm SURE we'll see G vs. TL-S threads in the next two weeks for me to mod on.....
Old 08-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Racer

I have to agree with you. There is no excuse why Acura would bring out an all-new platform and not have ground breaking features in it. The RDX is not handicapped like the TL, which is in a refresh year and still has 2 years left in its gen. This is a new vehicle, new class, new market. Acura should have come out with guns blazing. The vehicle is still excellent, mind you, but from a technology standpoint it's not. I just hope and pray that Acura won't do the same for the '09 TL, because I plan on trading in my '05 TL for it. When the '04 TL debuted, nobody had bluetooth, DVD audio and the excellent Nav., which was the best in the industry until recently. I believe that history will repeat itself in 2008 when the '09 TL blows the doors off it's competitors with new features, technology and a sick exterior like the TL did back in 2003!!!
Just keep in mind that there are no guarantees in life.

Will the 4th-gen TL be based on the 8th-gen Accord or a new platform ?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:39 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Is there any chance Acura will offer the Type-S in a solid red just like every other car on the market?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JeffS
Will the base TL and TL-S have different tail lights? I didn't notice there was a difference.
if these pictures are correct, then they will be different...

Old 08-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
ya know, everybodys getting upset and jealous and they want the new type S. Honestly, i think almost everybody on this forum's TL is hotter than that type S.

I do agree, the camera.... awesome. white leather seats with stitching, awesome and those blinker-mirrors... nice touch

But the gauges look SOO much better on our's, and i kinda like the foglights we have on 04 - 06.

Taillights - cheap
Exhaust - eh. 4 pipes are hot, but isnt it a little too much on FWD car lol

3.5L.... well.... not much to say, but i;m sure its fast and its gonna torque steer like crazy.

honestly, i think 04 - 06 look better with the A-Spec package. IMHO

oh and invincible... you're WDP is f*!@#ING hot. i'd take that over a brand new stock 07 TL-S
Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
oh and Velfarre.... when i bought my 06 TL, the guys at the dealership said the CL will be back in `09... and...... (he looked over both shoulders before spilling the beans) a convertible...... he said it should hit the 07+ NY international auto show.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnAboy
if these pictures are correct, then they will be different...[/IMG]
Thanks, I didn't see that... I guess the new rims are still blinding me.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JeffS
Thanks, I didn't see that... I guess the new rims are still blinding me.
haha, no problem. those nasty things seem to have had the same effect on me too
Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Is there any chance Acura will offer the Type-S in a solid red just like every other car on the market?
It would look hot in that bright red color....tho we could wait for the pink mary kay TL to come out
Old 08-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vtec 6300
That new TL grille is so pointy now at the bottom since they enlarged it. I use to think the '04 to '06 TL grille is kinda big already, more pronounced on darker colored cars. I don't know what to say for the larger grille on the newer model...

I think the designers that butchered the TSX in its update last year got to the TL. It's a crime.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Advanced

First, I don't think we know the entire list of feature son the 2007 TL. It might have some of those features you want. They better fix some of the deficiencies that I whine about often (MP3, RDS, CD-Text, ipod Name/Title, etc.).

Think ahead to 2009. You'll be saying the same thing but reverse. The TL will be all new and wonderful with the latest gadgetry, and the G35 will get a minor facelift.

It's all a big cycle. Right now the G35 is probably the better value. 2009 will likely be the TL, 2012, G35, 2014 TL.... :-)
Old 08-15-2006, 02:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
oh and Velfarre.... when i bought my 06 TL, the guys at the dealership said the CL will be back in `09... and...... (he looked over both shoulders before spilling the beans) a convertible...... he said it should hit the 07+ NY international auto show.

Oh I think a coupe is coming but the rumors are all over the place. One has it that it is TSX based, then there is the TL or RL based model. Then there is the coupe positioned below the NSX replacement.

Now a covertible would be a major surprise. I wonder if the guy your speaking of knows his stuff or was guessing. If Acura is going to go the drop top route then in this stage of the game it will require a folding hard top. Also if Acura is going to go this route it may be cost effective for them to have a coupe/convert car like Volvo is doing. Then again how many people would want to have the option of a drop top when a coupe with a sunroof would do.

Well, the next 2-3 years will be interesting.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Advanced

This is what it says about the TL future on Autoweek:

TL: The TL will be freshened for the 2007 model year. A redesign is scheduled for the 2009 model year, when awd will be available.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've heard a convertible coupe mentioned before too. I'm not into convertibles generally though and it just adds $1000s to the price. Acuras are getting too expensive for my tastes anyway.

$39k for a TL. 07 MDX is going upscale, $50k for an RL, and some people are paying $45-48k on the new little SUV RDX, crazy to me.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Angry Third Warning

Here we go again!

Over 2,000 posts and you guys keep devolving into comparison posts.

THIS IS NOT THE THREAD TO BE COMPARING OTHER CARS WITH THE NEW TL.

You are welcome and encouraged to start a comparison thread in Car Talk.

This thread is for breaking news and opinions on the 2007+ TL. KEEP IT CLEAN and on topic so that members who check in everyday don't have to wade through all the .

You have all been warned many times. The mods are going to be deleting posts and handing out vacations to those who cannot seem to follow the rules.

SLICK: Go start a thread in Car Talk on the G35 and I will be happy to join you there with my But, we're tired of hearing it in THIS thread.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
I totally agree with you. Everyone might aswell wait for the '09 TL and keep their current vehicles, that's if we're all driving a decent car. I would like to think that most of us on this thread has an '04 - '06 TL, or late 2nd gen TL, so we all should be able to wait another 2 years. I don't think our TLs are going to break down between now and then, so it won't hurt to wait and see what Acura has in store for '09. If the '07 TL had all the bells and whistles everyone is crying about, what new would be left for them to include in the '09 TL? And then the price would go way up and everyone would complain that the TL is too expensive. Believe it or not people, Acura/Honda is a very smart company. They give you what you NEED, not what you want! Do we really NEED push button/keyless start? NO we don't! The car will still get you from point A to point B. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the latest and greatest technology, but at the end of the day I have to ask myself, "Am I going to really use this, is this really necessary?". Look at Nissan/Infinity with their heated steering wheels. Who the hell gets in a car, and waits for the car to warm so they can drive because the steering wheel is too cold? Sure this feature is nice to have but is it necessary? Do I wish the TL had this feature? NO!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

was considering buying an 06 TLw/nav but instead decided to wait til the 07 refresh came out to see what to get... and the type-s sounds good but I'm not sure. '09 is only 2+yrs(model release) away..... but its 2 years away. i currently have an 03 accord ex/v6... any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Just for the record, I thought the base '07 TL had the paddle shifters too. Do we know that for sure based on a picture?

Anyone have any guesses when the price of the '07 will drop? Trying to think ahead to the best time to buy without waiting a year and finding myself in the delemia again with the 2008 model.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Moving Target
Just for the record, I thought the base '07 TL had the paddle shifters too. Do we know that for sure based on a picture?

Anyone have any guesses when the price of the '07 will drop? Trying to think ahead to the best time to buy without waiting a year and finding myself in the delemia again with the 2008 model.
September 1st is TL-Day at Acura. Expect all of the info then. Leaks before maybe.

Earlier it was said that '07s will be between $34k (Base, No Nav) and $39k (Type-S w/Nav).

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1