Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Per the Boston Globe article:

"The standard transmission in each model is a five-speed automatic with a manual option that can be shifted with paddles on the steering wheel. "

The way I read that is that both the S and Base will have the paddle shifters. I can't tell if they will be standard on the Base or optional (I'm guessing they're standard and the "option" word in the article refers to the fact you don't have to use them while driving).

Just got confused because some other previous posts seem to indicate the paddle shifters were just on the S.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Manual Option

I read "manual option" to mean when you opt to put the gear selector in Sport Shift mode. Then the paddles are functional.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Paddle shifters will only be avaible on the Type-S, just as the G35 will have them on the RWD Journey package only.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All wheel drive is coming in 2009

Per Automotive News August 14th, page 32

The TL will be freshened for the 2007 model year. A redesign is scheduled for the 2009 model year, when AWD will be available.

It also noted the TSX and Accord will be redesigned for 2009 as well. TSX may get a turbo engine and all wheel drive per Automotive News sources.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shad Marx
was considering buying an 06 TLw/nav but instead decided to wait til the 07 refresh came out to see what to get... and the type-s sounds good but I'm not sure. '09 is only 2+yrs(model release) away..... but its 2 years away. i currently have an 03 accord ex/v6... any suggestions?
I am on the fence like yourself. Have a 04 TL without NAV and can get an 06 with NAV for a great price right now.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

I'll be getting a 2007 Acura TL, a 2007 Infiniti G35, a 2007 Acura MDX, or a 2007 Lexus GS 350 this fall as a gift from my parents. Choices ... choices. I already have a 2005 Acura TL 5AT w/ Navigation so I don't know if I'll be looking into the 2007 Acura TL that much.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S L I C K
I'll be getting a 2007 Acura TL, a 2007 Infiniti G35, a 2007 Acura MDX, or a 2007 Lexus GS 350 this fall as a gift from my parents. Choices ... choices. I already have a 2005 Acura TL 5AT w/ Navigation so I don't know if I'll be looking into the 2007 Acura TL that much.
Things change a lot when something is a gift... When you are paying your own money for something, the cost becomes a much larger concern.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you guys think it is wrong to put that "TL Type-S" emblem on my 04 TL if i add in those type s tail lights and a a-spec kit?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Would you guys think it is wrong to put that "TL Type-S" emblem on my 04 TL if i add in those type s tail lights and a a-spec kit?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I think you would have to change the exhaust as well. good try though!
Old 08-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I've heard a convertible coupe mentioned before too. I'm not into convertibles generally though and it just adds $1000s to the price. Acuras are getting too expensive for my tastes anyway.

$39k for a TL. 07 MDX is going upscale, $50k for an RL, and some people are paying $45-48k on the new little SUV RDX, crazy to me.

Isnt the RDX starting at 32? and technology package 36? Whose paying 45-48 for these?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Grandpa

Dude,

This is 'merica, y'all can put whatever stickers, emblem or other crap on yer car. Just don't ask us to bless none of yore ho-mo-secktual weddings.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by S L I C K
Wow can someone say spoiled!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

Ac Man,

" Look at Nissan/Infinity with their heated steering wheels. Who the hell gets in a car, and waits for the car to warm so they can drive because the steering wheel is too cold? Sure this feature is nice to have but is it necessary? Do I wish the TL had this feature? NO!!!"

I hope Acura, doesn't feel the same as you, otherwise with that kind of a attitude they will fall flat on their face because in the 3-series segment you better deliver or be left far behind the competition.

Rocky
Old 08-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura98TL
Wow can someone say spoiled!!!
+1
Old 08-15-2006, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Stu's2004TL
I am on the fence like yourself. Have a 04 TL without NAV and can get an 06 with NAV for a great price right now.
Stu's2004TL...
its just in two more yrs my accord will by paid for so I'm also debating on that... and with the projected price I've been considering other cars as well around the 40-45 range which really defeats the purpose of buying the TL in the first place....I guess we'll have to wait and see!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Moving Target
Just for the record, I thought the base '07 TL had the paddle shifters too. Do we know that for sure based on a picture?
I am hoping the paddle shifters will be on the base too. Thats the way I read the article?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:10 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by rockylee
Ac Man,

" Look at Nissan/Infinity with their heated steering wheels. Who the hell gets in a car, and waits for the car to warm so they can drive because the steering wheel is too cold? Sure this feature is nice to have but is it necessary? Do I wish the TL had this feature? NO!!!"

I hope Acura, doesn't feel the same as you, otherwise with that kind of a attitude they will fall flat on their face because in the 3-series segment you better deliver or be left far behind the competition.

Rocky
I absolutely agree. I have an "06 TL that doesn't even have a compass in the mirror. I haven't had a car without a compass mirror in so long I can't remember. Sure, I can live without it, but it's a big help when you're in unfamiliar territory, and it would have cost Acura probably $20 to add it.

Ditto for the power tilt and telescoping wheel. And quite afew other things, I might add. My 2004 Maxima - for a couple thousand less in price - had all those things and more ... and yes, the heated steering wheel was fantastic, and I miss it. I didn't use the power folding outside mirrors, but every other feature was useful and welcome.

But for you, I guess the air conditioning isn't really necessary, either ... I mean, the car would still get you there, wouldn't it?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeffS
+1
+2. SPOILED
Old 08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockylee
Ac Man,

Rocky
So I guess we don't need seat warmers, dimming rear view mirror, or defrost on the side view mirrors either because our TL's we get us front point A to B anyways.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AltecBX
So I guess we don't need seat warmers, dimming rear view mirror, or defrost on the side view mirrors either because our TL's we get us front point A to B anyways.
You guys are taking what I said a little too seriously. I'm simply making a point that most of these extra features that could be considered by some as "USELESS", drives the price of the car up. If my TL had a heated steering wheel would I complain, NO. But it's not a feature that someone in a warm weathered region will use. I just used that particular feature as an example, I didn't say it was a stupid idea. I'm just more into features that we will all use on a daily basis that's all. For instance, the ability to play MP3 CDs. If I can't have a decent ipod interface, then at least allow me to play MP3 discs. As far as the comments about the defroster, A/C, etc. be serious please. We all need those features so that comment was useless. With all these features that you all want in the TL, you can get in an RL. When the price of the TL goes up because of these added features people will complain about the price being too high for a TL. Then people will say the TL no longer has that "bang for the buck" aspect anymore. We can't have our cake and eat it too. When the price goes up then everyone will say that we might as well get a BMW or Lexus because Acura's are not on that level. If we want these features then maybe it's time to upgrade to something else. A lot of people keep mentioning the G35, so maybe that's the route some of you need to take. We need to stop trying to make the TL something that it's not!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Racer

+2. SPOILED
+3
Old 08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Racer

Rocky[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TL outsell everyone in it's class with the exception of maybe the 3 series? So competition in terms of what? Specs? Features? The TL is not playing catch up, it's not at the bottom of the heap. Acura doesn't need to do anything desperate to sell the TL. The next Gen. TL will have all the bells and whistles we crave for, I don't know why people expected so much from a refresh! Some people were actually expecting wholesale changes, and that would'nt have made good business sense on Acura's part. We have two years left before the next gen TL. We will get what we want, eventually. But the so called competition is chasing the TL, not the other way around. Yes, the TL should have made enough changes to stay relevant and on top. But, until the "competition" passes the TL in "SALES", Acura is going to stay conservative and we all know this. Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

Question

Just for the record, I thought the base '07 TL had the paddle shifters too. Do we know that for sure based on a picture?

Anyone have any guesses when the price of the '07 will drop? Trying to think ahead to the best time to buy without waiting a year and finding myself in the delemia again with the 2008 model.
Per the Boston Globe article:

"The standard transmission in each model is a five-speed automatic with a manual option that can be shifted with paddles on the steering wheel
I read "manual option" to mean when you opt to put the gear selector in Sport Shift mode. Then the paddles are functional.
Paddle shifters will only be avaible on the Type-S, just as the G35 will have them on the RWD Journey package only.
I am hoping the paddle shifters will be on the base too. Thats the way I read the article?
Anyone else venture to guess on the paddle shifters?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ac Man

Rocky
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TL outsell everyone in it's class with the exception of maybe the 3 series? So competition in terms of what? Specs? Features? The TL is not playing catch up, it's not at the bottom of the heap. Acura doesn't need to do anything desperate to sell the TL. The next Gen. TL will have all the bells and whistles we crave for, I don't know why people expected so much from a refresh! Some people were actually expecting wholesale changes, and that would'nt have made good business sense on Acura's part. We have two years left before the next gen TL. We will get what we want, eventually. But the so called competition is chasing the TL, not the other way around. Yes, the TL should have made enough changes to stay relevant and on top. But, until the "competition" passes the TL in "SALES", Acura is going to stay conservative and we all know this. Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
The TL does outsell the competition because they offer the same "options" or more, for $10K less. I think in 09 when they add all the extra goodie, IE: SH-AWD, Adaptive headlights and all the other bells and whistles, you'll be looking at a $45K car(RL). Unless they can keep it under $40K they are going to lose to Lexus and Infiniti. I think the TL needs to stay where it is, the mid $30K to stay competitive. Maybe to compete with Lexus and Infiniti, they should do major overhaul of the RL IE: V8, better styling, etc....
Old 08-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chfields
The TL does outsell the competition because they offer the same "options" or more, for $10K less. I think in 09 when they add all the extra goodie, IE: SH-AWD, Adaptive headlights and all the other bells and whistles, you'll be looking at a $45K car(RL). Unless they can keep it under $40K they are going to lose to Lexus and Infiniti. I think the TL needs to stay where it is, the mid $30K to stay competitive. Maybe to compete with Lexus and Infiniti, they should do major overhaul of the RL IE: V8, better styling, etc....
Exactly my point. If you want a ton of features get an RL, Lexus, BMW, etc. and pay $40K + for it. If you want a $35K or less car that has a good amount of luxury, power, reliability, etc. you get a TL.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

I love how everyone puts the TL in this so called class they think it belongs in, its always SH-AWD this and SH-AWD that and "its not like the G35 wah wah wah" or BMW 3, every car is made the way its made for a reason, and none of thoses car co are hurting in anyway...they all have plenty of $$$.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu's2004TL
Per Automotive News August 14th, page 32

The TL will be freshened for the 2007 model year. A redesign is scheduled for the 2009 model year, when AWD will be available.

It also noted the TSX and Accord will be redesigned for 2009 as well. TSX may get a turbo engine and all wheel drive per Automotive News sources.
The TSX will be ready at the end 2007, not 2009. The cycle for Honda is 5 years...
Old 08-16-2006, 08:07 AM
Intermediate

And you base that on what fact/text/picture? I don't think we know this for sure, that's why I posed the question.

They way the article reads above, I don't see anything that would lead me to think it's only on the Type-S.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 AM
6th Gear

TL Inventory Levels

According to the August 14 issue of Automotive News, Acura had an inventory of 11,000 TL's on August 1. That translated into a 44 days supply versus a reported July 1 days supply of 66 days.

Put the dropping inventory with the $1,000 incentive expiring Sept 5, and I believe we will see 2007 models on the lots well before Sept 15. We will see better factory incentives on the 2006 models on Sept 6 although there will not be that many 2006 models left by then.

IMO, the dealers will be heavily discounting 2007 models by the end of September as the 2006's will be cleared and the factory will be pushing dealers to sell new product to try to stem the month-over-month TL volume declines experienced so far this year.

Your thoughts/information on this?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by paskalicky
Paddle shifters on the steering wheel seem more like a special "Type-S" kind of feature. I would think that most people (i.e. not car geeks) wouldn't care one bit about it. They seem like they would be a feature that someone buying a performance car, like the Type-S would want.

Personally, I don't see any reason I would want Paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

This discussion is so funny to me. Living in Phoenix, I don't want anything heated. I would pay good money for some Air Conditioned seats though.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lookingaround
According to the August 14 issue of Automotive News, Acura had an inventory of 11,000 TL's on August 1. That translated into a 44 days supply versus a reported July 1 days supply of 66 days.

Put the dropping inventory with the $1,000 incentive expiring Sept 5, and I believe we will see 2007 models on the lots well before Sept 15. We will see better factory incentives on the 2006 models on Sept 6 although there will not be that many 2006 models left by then.

IMO, the dealers will be heavily discounting 2007 models by the end of September as the 2006's will be cleared and the factory will be pushing dealers to sell new product to try to stem the month-over-month TL volume declines experienced so far this year.

Your thoughts/information on this?
We won't see '07 TL to the end of October at dealers
Old 08-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Instructor

And you base that on what fact/text/picture? I don't think we know this for sure, that's why I posed the question.

They way the article reads above, I don't see anything that would lead me to think it's only on the Type-S.
Only the 3.5 engine would have the paddle shiffters. I have my sources.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

We won't see '07 TL to the end of October at dealers
That would suck!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BBoz
Paddle shifters on the steering wheel seem more like a special "Type-S" kind of feature. I would think that most people (i.e. not car geeks) wouldn't care one bit about it. They seem like they would be a feature that someone buying a performance car, like the Type-S would want.

Personally, I don't see any reason I would want Paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

Well, the Lexus IS250 has them and according to Consumer Reports, that's in the same class as the TL.

So sounds like we'll just have to wait and see unless you want to believe the "sources" which are probably dealers who provided incorrect information about what is going to be on the 2007 refresh all over this thread.

I personally hope they are on the base. If they can put them on a Toyota Celica I'm not sure why I can't have them on a base TL.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Advanced

I guess Car and Driver said screw you to the Acura embargo.....

this is one new pic that they have.....

That looks hot!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Login Req'd for Car and Driver?

Anyone know what's going on with Car and Driver's website? It's asking for a username and password when I try to access the main page?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acura98TL
I guess Car and Driver said screw you to the Acura embargo.....

this is one new pic that they have.....

That looks hot!!!!!

So is that the "new" blue like in the Boston Globe article or is that the old blue?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by levon1830
Anyone know what's going on with Car and Driver's website? It's asking for a username and password when I try to access the main page?
Just right click on the picture box and click on show picture after you hit cancel when it asks for a password.

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1