3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure I could say anything that others haven't said, but I'm not feeling this at all. That blue is too blue, I like my ABP much better. Don't care for the fog lights, the chrome strip, or the side-mirror blinkers (I absolutely hate those on any car). There's not a clear angle to show the wheels, but they look terrible from the angle they show.

I do like the steering wheel and from the picture it looks like they don't have an aluminum pedal for the dead pedal, that looks cheap to me. If you're gonna do aluminum pedals, do them all.

Thanks Invincible569 for posting and disecting the pics. Good job!! Your avatar looks so much better compared to the Type-S pic.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, the foglights are freakin' huge!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:48 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Pele 96
Does this mean there will not be a 6 speed manual option on the Type-S?
I called that one many months back... IS350 doesn 't have a manual either...
I would NOT be suprised if the type S came only in auto.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ac Man
Someone made the comment that the '07 TL front looks like the TSX, but there really isn't a change to the front from except for the fog lights and the 2 chrome strips, so what the hell are you seeing that I am not? The TL has always looked like the TSX from the front, so why are people noticing it now that the TL has a re-fresh?
I really think a lot of people are reacting more to the poor quality of the pic and the color than anything else (though, we are all glad to have it, thanks again for posting ). They hate the pic and are trying to express why. I really think the pic is horrible. You can see it's washed out and blue even on areas it shouldn't be. Also, the blue color does a horrible job of accentuating the lines that make the TL a sweet looking car. It all seems to blend together. You can really tell on the post on the last page that shows both the blue one and another Silver '06. Not much has really changed, but the cars look totally different.

Look at the 4 C's (tounge in cheek ).

Cut - Same lines as the 06, nothing really changed in the body.
Clarity - The picture clarity sucks.
Color - Is there an uglier Blue available on any car?
Cost - +$700 from '06 for the base. If your own "engine" isn't big enough, you can buy a bigger one for a few more thousand.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
though, if you look at the specs on the lower right on the article paper your can see :

Curb Weight : 3563 to 3680 pounds depending on model and transmission
Old 08-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Did any1 notice teh interior colors? The bottom of the dash & consol is black, as well as more parts of the doors.

I dont like the fogs, or mirrors, & i hate that color. makes it look like a tsx. the old steering wheel looks better too.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I'd love to continually diss this thing to justify our ownership of an 05, I am jeolous, I want that 3.5.

Mike
Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob shiftright

Since the AMG Benzes and the M5 are clutchless, this would be a very trendy move for Acura.
I think what the article is talking about is the sport-shift feature of the automatic, but its still a true automatic.

the AMG benzes are also true automatics with a sport-shift like feature (forgot what they call it). The M5 though is a true manual without a clutch though, so a different animal altogether.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

Originally Posted by crazymjb
While I'd love to continually diss this thing to justify our ownership of an 05, I am jeolous, I want that 3.5.

Mike
I have a 2005 Acura TL and I could care less about the new engine in the 2007 Acura TL Type-S ( unless it had over 300 HP and was RWD / AWD which in that case it would be pretty impressive ).
Old 08-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
I have a 2005 Acura TL and I could care less about the new engine in the 2007 Acura TL Type-S ( unless it had over 300 HP and was RWD / AWD which in that case it would be pretty impressive ).
Old 08-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
THIS is what we have been waiting for????????? pass.
so not feeling the love on that blue color
Old 08-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by TLFun
Sounds like you'll have your TL back in no time.. Yeah, it's great that we have info on the 07 now.. No more waiting.

I hope so I miss it
Old 08-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Racer

Put the Aspec kit on it and that thing would look hot. I'm jealous, but not enough to trade in my 05.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Pro

Hmmm...im not impressed at all. I like the look of the base TL more. At least they brought the type-S back. Thats a plus...
Old 08-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HondaFan66
QUOTE=Moving Target]I was told the following is confirmed on the 2007 American TL by a dealer today:

-3.5 V6 close to 300 horses - might just be for the new S Type he wasn't sure
-SH-AWD - this is an option
-Updated Nav
-New exterior and interior lines
QUOTE]

Then, the crack pipe fell out of his mouth falling to the ground and smashing into a million pieces before he collapsed into the pile of shattered glass while mumbling something about side rocket launchers. . .
Actually.... I was told the same thing from an aquaintance who's doing a consulting gig for Acura.... with the added information that the 3.5 @ 300 HP was across the line, and there was no new S. The interior lines were dictated by a redesigned dashboard that is necessitated fromt hem going to the RL-type nav system with it's "joystick", including traffic, Zagat's, etc... Also.... 3 new colors.

but I guess we'll all see.

I bought my 06 5AT-NAV, Anthracite/quartz yesterday.... 1900 under invoice, and I'm jazzed.

D.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Is that a cassette deck?! ……………. Hope there’s aux in, mp3 capability and /or standard music link?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
4th Gear

2007 Observations

After seeing the first views of the ’07 TL, I am very disappointed. Here are a few comments:

1) Am I missing something, or doesn't anyone care about the lack of changes to the center console? Why is there still a cassette player? (The dealer will tell you it's there for books on tape. Spin.) Forget DVD Audio (can you still buy these anymore?), CD changers (who needs the hassle or future mechanical problems), and iPod interfaces (I love Apple, but they could change the iPod interface anytime they please). This car deserves a built-in music server with USB and WiFi access to download tunes and full-screen navigation. At least replace the cassette with a PC Card slot to access music on a SD, CF, or MS cards like the new Civics. How about Dolby PL II for 5.1 surround? What happened to Acura's leading edge technology?

2) Keyless start? Where is it? Come on Acura, you can do better.

3) I was never a big fan of the current TL front-end and was hoping they would get rid of the chrome strip on the hood and reduce the height of the "Super Hero" grill. The minor changes only made things worse. Any more chrome and it will start to look like your Dad's Oldsmobile.

4) The mirrors have integrated turn signals (ok, that’s a nice addition I guess), but they look like they are the same shape and size as the ’06 mirrors. Not very sporty in my opinion.

5) What's up with the desire for more HP? All you power freaks should calm down and go buy a Corvette. (Oooh, that was mean.) I would rather have 30+ MPG on regular fuel. For those who say "if you can afford the car, you can afford the gas", I say "that's why I can afford the car, because I don't like to waste the cash".

Not impressed with the '07 changes at all. Now after this long wait (and reading this forum forever), I need to consider other options.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by PG2G
Put the Aspec kit on it and that thing would look hot. I'm jealous, but not enough to trade in my 05.
I want one I want the big V6
Old 08-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by cantelia
After seeing the first views of the ’07 TL, I am very disappointed. Here are a few comments:

1) Am I missing something, or doesn't anyone care about the lack of changes to the center console? Why is there still a cassette player? (The dealer will tell you it's there for books on tape. Spin.) Forget DVD Audio (can you still buy these anymore?), CD changers (who needs the hassle or future mechanical problems), and iPod interfaces (I love Apple, but they could change the iPod interface anytime they please). This car deserves a built-in music server with USB and WiFi access to download tunes and full-screen navigation. At least replace the cassette with a PC Card slot to access music on a SD, CF, or MS cards like the new Civics. How about Dolby PL II for 5.1 surround? What happened to Acura's leading edge technology?

2) Keyless start? Where is it? Come on Acura, you can do better.

3) I was never a big fan of the current TL front-end and was hoping they would get rid of the chrome strip on the hood and reduce the height of the "Super Hero" grill. The minor changes only made things worse. Any more chrome and it will start to look like your Dad's Oldsmobile.

4) The mirrors have integrated turn signals (ok, that’s a nice addition I guess), but they look like they are the same shape and size as the ’06 mirrors. Not very sporty in my opinion.

5) What's up with the desire for more HP? All you power freaks should calm down and go buy a Corvette. (Oooh, that was mean.) I would rather have 30+ MPG on regular fuel. For those who say "if you can afford the car, you can afford the gas", I say "that's why I can afford the car, because I don't like to waste the cash".

Not impressed with the '07 changes at all. Now after this long wait (and reading this forum forever), I need to consider other options.
I know and where is the on star...I was told it would have on star
Old 08-06-2006, 12:02 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I can't help but think that many posters on this thread are newbies to Acura/Honda. Honda never makes major changes in a mid model change, and not always that major between model redesigns either, esp if the car is selling well.

Actually the engine upgrade option is a pretty big departure for Honda.

It's interesting how close in price the TL Type S will be to the newly decontented 07 RL, which will not have Navi, wood, and auto-aim headlights on the new base RL.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
White guages?

looks to me as if it lights up in Orange???
Old 08-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Interesting further info since I last posted..... I'm still thinking the interior isn't final in that photo if they're updating the nav system.... but let's assume the news article is correct....

I bought my 06 Navi yesterday for $31,300.... and I would have waited for this and several thousand dollars more...

I'm a happy camper this morning.

D.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
looks to me as if it lights up in Orange???
If they light up orange or red I'll be looking at 07 g35
Old 08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by paskalicky
If they light up orange or red I'll be looking at 07 g35

Well the Civic Si does...guessing the Type S might, cuz they can't do the white....I dunno Oh Fluffy!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

what do you all think the 0-60 will be on the type S ?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:56 PM
2007 NBP TL-S

Here's more on Autoblog....

Acura readies 286-hp TL Type S
Posted Aug 6th 2006 11:05AM by Alex Nunez
Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Acura

The Boston Globe spilled the beans! For MY 2007, Acura has added a Type S model to the TL range. Those who opt for the package are rewarded with a 3.5L V6 churning out 286 horses and 256 lb.-ft. of torque, 28 hp and 23 lb.-ft. better than the base TL's 3.2L mill.

Subtle detail changes differentiate the Type -S from the standard car. A mesh grille, wheel/tire upgrade, rear spoiler, quad exhaust outlets and, of course, Type S badging identify it as such. Inside, the Type S gets sportier seating, carbon fiber trim, and racy steel pedals. A sport-tuned suspension is in place to give the car improved handling to go with its added punch. Expect a retail price of around $39,000.

We're guessing that an official announcement will likely come this week, now that a major media outlet has broken the story. We'll have photos and complete specs as soon as Honda makes them available to us.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Racer

2007 Type-S Disappointment

When I first saw the pictures of the Type-S, the first things that struck me is that the Type-S looks less aggressive than the standard TL and it looks like the RL design team made the changes for the Type-S.

Specifically, I do not like the added chrome to the lower grills nor the fog lights. To me, having separate fog lights detracts from the TL’s aggressive looks and clean styling.

The new wheels look like brake dust collectors. I prefer the stock 04 - 06 TL wheels.

Turn signal mirrors.

All Acura had to do was spend $10 - $20 on relays for the side mark lamps and they would have accomplished their mission without the ugliness of the turn signal mirrors.

I feel the stock TL has plenty of horsepower and I would rather see more horsepower for the AWD. I sure Acura is going to use the computer to limit "take-off" to reduce torque steer like they have on the 6 MT 06 TL. Keep in mind that the horsepower increase will need to be significant to overcome the extra weight of AWD for the future TL (4th gen).

I will withhold comments about the interior and the rear exterior until there are better pictures of the interior and the rear of the Type-S.

I just hope Acura has not made some of the Type-S changes to the stock 07 TL. I have the feeling the turn signal mirrors will be standard on both models.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Seeing the 07 and reading the changes reasures myself that I made the right decision on my 06. Especially for the great deal that I got. Upwards to 39k for the Type S is way too much.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Hope and thoughts on the interior - I am hoping the above poster is correct in saying the pic is not the “final” interior. Things we cant see/don’t know: power tilt/teloscope steering wheel, updated navi and audio, on star, color of gauges, keyless start (the key in the pic could be permanent), power seat adjustments and many more, I am just hoping for the best here and will need to wait for September 1st before its all said and done. But please, no orange or red gauges!!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by invincible569
it was only $5. Better than driving to the airport and picking it up.

Here is a closer pic of the interior after zooming in the paper.

Look close where the key is....thats! a! Fob! its huge!! something is not right there its not the same key....
Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Wow....after reading this thread for an eternity it seems, I have to say a few things:

1) Who gives a rat's tail about keyless start. Talk about a worthless "trick" detail....

2) I think I'd like the old rims better as 18" vs 17"...too much space with the current springs, etc. The new ones (which I believe are 18's) are fugly in these pics but could be better in person maybe.

3) Wost. Color. Ever.

4) It's funny that these pics are out and about and I've found Acura has done *nothing* on their website. Info is out gents. Get on it. The marketing guys MUST have better pics and colors of this new beast that are better than what the Boston guys did. How 'bout a rear shot, while you're at it?

5) I'm going to stick with mine for a while. At least until 2008 or 09. At that point, it's probably going to be the new version of the 2 door G35 (which I hope carries a lot from the beautiful concept over into production!)

No more first year builds problems for me -- EVER!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:39 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Who gives a rat's tail about keyless start. Talk about a worthless "trick" detail.
Just goes to show how people like different things. Once you get used to not having to dig in your pocket to unlock your doors or trunk or even to get in your car and start it up, you'll appreciate keyless start. I've had two of 'em (3 counting my wife's car) and Ive come to love it.

HOWEVER ... I think Acura's implementation of it in the RL is LAME. Rather than engineer a true push-button start, they simply pulled out the mechanical ignition switch and replaced it with a new one with a built-in key that is activated by the fob being close by. You still have to twist it just like the old kind. In other words, they cheaped out. I guess it's better than nothing, but I'd hate to see that system in the TL. Give me the old "tap and go" of a true push-button start.

Yeah, I'm beginning to feel pretty smart for buying my '06 TL last week.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is my first post after reading this forum for several weeks. Now that we see the pics of the 2007, I'd like to know how many people would go grab a 2006 at a discount vs buying 2007. I currently have a 2004 with no nav and love it. It has 43K miles and almost out of warranty. I'm leaning towards an 06 way back of invoice.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Race Director

I would love to stick with Honda, but this 2007 is just not cutting it for its price range and all the other options available on the market, the 2007 G35 is blowing this car away, looks wise, feature wise, technology wise, sporty wise, almost every way possible, theres not a thing on this car thats me want to spend $35k+ for a Type-S, Maybe the Body kit might make it look better, and I have to say with the Body kit the TL's look nice, even nicer than the new G
Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Advanced

must say i like the new steering wheel and gauges (not all is lost. lol)

i like the fact that the navi is still a touch screen.

anyone know if navi is updated?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
so not feeling the love on that blue color
The blue and the anthracite colors are from the TSX... But on the TL brillant colors look bad... (Except white).
If hte Type S looks like in the photo, better buy a Ron Jon body kit or an A-spec with 18" wheels... This car doesn't look sporty at all.
Lets hope on the optionals!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Racer

I'm going to wait to see what the 07 base TL looks like in person, then I will decide which way to go. I know I will not spend $39000 for Type S, It can't compete with G35 or IS350 at that price....thats more than I will spend for a car.....
Old 08-06-2006, 03:38 PM
User Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I will be keeping my '05TL until the fourth generation comes out but my wife is wanting a new car. I convinced her to wait until the '07 TL came out to see what the changes were. I guess I can order her '07 IS350 now.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:47 PM
04 TL Black on Black

Originally Posted by invincible569
HERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!

i dunno if its just me but i think that looks more like a TSX than a TL. if the cars didnt already look similar enough, now they are identical. plus the rims look like something off of a neon SRT-4.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think we've all set our expectations too high, adn that's the cause of this disappointment. These are evolutionary changes, that's all.

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1