Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL Type-S

The Type-S returns to the lineup after a three year hiatus. The engine is mated to a new 5-speed automatic with paddle shifters, or a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. The regular TL comes with a 3.2-liter VTEC V6 producing 258 hp at 6200 rpm and 233 lb-ft of torque at 5000 rpm. Both the 3.2-liter and the 3.5-liter meet CARB LEV-II ULEV emissions requirements.

Both the TL and TL Type-S have double wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension. The Type-S has firmer front and rear anti roll bars and stiffer springs and shocks.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coykiam
sounds like the 07 G35 will blow the TL out of the water.....but I wonder how much price difference the two would have. Even as of right now the current G35 and TL, feature and spec-wise the G35 edgess it. But if you factor the price, I dont think I'll pay for more. I wanted to purchase the Lexus IS250 AWD but just couldnt justify the extra $4k price over the TL, if you include the NAV option. Considering it only has 200 plus horses, while the TL has more with NAV.
Yes but the G35 won't get as good gas mileage, will cost more (but we won't know how much until probably November) and while both cars are reliable I've got to think the Acura will be at least slightly more reliable.

Using today's 06 models as a comparison I think the G35x w/Nav is about $3,500 more than the TL w/Nav, if the 07's have the same price gap I think the G35x may be worth it if you can get past the mpg. Same $3,500 difference on the 06 models and it's Acura hands down IMO because of the non-integrated Nav on the Infiniti and much nicer interior on the Acura (even though I prefer the way the Infiniti drives).

While I do think the Acura looks cooler I do like the Infiniti and honestly I'm spending my time in the car not outside looking at it so I want a really nice interior. That's not saying I want an ugly car with a nice interior because I don't think the Infiniti is ugly.

That 07 G35 looks a lot like the TL...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Just found this in the Autoweek.com piece:

"Changes to the interior include a new 3-spoke steering wheel, new gauges with a spun metal look, and model-specific ambient lighting that is blue on the TL and red for the Type-S.

Both TL and TL Type-S offer Acura/ELS Surround premium sound system, Acura satellite-linked navigation that now ha real-time traffic."

SWEET!!!!

Looks like you can keep the blue lights if you don't go the S route and the Nav will have real-time traffice just like the G35.

The plot thickens...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Bring It

The quad tips are a nice touch. The 07 with a drop would look hot. The more i look at it, the more i like it. Can't wait to see it on the road.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
I hate this thread more and more every day...why am I still here?
I wonder the same thing, with ridiculous comments like "You get basically twice the car for the money IMHO.".

The article and pictures of the 07 TL do make up for the never ending G35 versus TL bashing.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Both TL and TL Type-S offer Acura/ELS Surround premium sound system, Acura satellite-linked navigation that now has real-time traffic.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dezzzmond
The quad tips are a nice touch. The 07 with a drop would look hot. The more i look at it, the more i like it. Can't wait to see it on the road.
Definitly the quad exhaust does look hot on the car....
Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Office Linebacker

autoweek's site has a bunch of pictures.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...arams=Itemnr=1
Old 08-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Also looks like it has the backup camera on the navigation screen and integrated Ipod hookup (wonder if this is an option like the current model).
Old 08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You guys are so funny.

I just traded an '04 Maxima that I had for 3 years and over 41,000 miles with zero problems. "Crap"? I think not. It was one of the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned. And on this forum all I read about is the rattles and squeaks and shitty build quality of the TL.

If only you knew how much of the rest of the auto enthusiast world laughs out loud at anything built by Honda. They make motor scooters and lawn mowers, don't they?

(And, yes, I have an '06 TL. I don't listen to other people ... I make up my own mind.)
They also make outboard motors and generators. Recognized as being of the highest quality in each catagory. They not only make motorscooters, but are credited with bringing safe and dependable motorcycles to the marketplace. The Honda 90 couldn't keep up with demand when it was first imported. The CB 750 was a stunning tour de force in the industry in the 1960s and 19970s. Or, we can talk about the Gold Wing touring 6 cyl motorcycle.

I'm proud to say that my Acura is made by Honda.

If you say that "all you read about is squeaks and rattles and poor build quality of the TL" you must have a selective memory. We have over 80,000 registered members and I have seen maybe 30-40 complain about a quality issue on the 3G TL since 2004. That's a very small percentage. Compare that with quality issues on other brand-centric websites.

I DO agree with you that Nissan's are not crap, IMHO. I had Maximas for 16 years and they were bullet-proof dependable and performed well. The last one, I had for 14 years. The A/C compressor was replaced under warranty, a water pump, several batteries, and two sets of Toyo Proxes tires is all I spent in 90,000 miles. When I sold it, depreciation was less than $1,000 per year. It still looked as good as new. My best friend bought it for his 16 year old daughter (who promptly totaled it!).

I think Nissan, Toyota, and Honda all build great cars. Of those three marques, I believe Honda has the best reputation for build quality and longevity out there in the "auto enthusiast world." We are not an island here. We are part of that world.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced

IMO< they should have taken out that side marker in the front cause at night the TL's goina look like an airplane with all those lights on the side plus the mirror blinkers. the chrome on the lower bumper's nice but i know a lot of Tl owners already did that to their previouse TL's. Basically if you can get a good deal on an 06, the 07's not worth it. Unless the changes are more than skin deep (eg, quieter, or something)
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by havenlock

Last few pictures of the base TL look nice. I do like how they've added the clear tail lights
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Acura98TL
Acura satellite-linked navigation that now has real-time traffic.
I'M SOLD!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pod interface, eh?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by havenlock

I wonder if this website is getting slammed with traffic right now, because I can't get it to load. Is anyone else having issues?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Advanced

They changed the gauges on the Type S......

Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Advanced

I think Honda/Acura should just announce it, instead of waiting til September 1st.....
Old 08-08-2006, 10:00 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
They also make outboard motors and generators. Recognized as being of the highest quality in each catagory. They not only make motorscooters, but are credited with bringing safe and dependable motorcycles to the marketplace. The Honda 90 couldn't keep up with demand when it was first imported. The CB 750 was a stunning tour de force in the industry in the 1960s and 19970s. Or, we can talk about the Gold Wing touring 6 cyl motorcycle.

I'm proud to say that my Acura is made by Honda.

If you say that "all you read about is squeaks and rattles and poor build quality of the TL" you must have a selective memory. We have over 80,000 registered members and I have seen maybe 30-40 complain about a quality issue on the 3G TL since 2004. That's a very small percentage. Compare that with quality issues on other brand-centric websites.

I DO agree with you that Nissan's are not crap, IMHO. I had Maximas for 16 years and they were bullet-proof dependable and performed well. The last one, I had for 14 years. The A/C compressor was replaced under warranty, a water pump, several batteries, and two sets of Toyo Proxes tires is all I spent in 90,000 miles. When I sold it, depreciation was less than $1,000 per year. It still looked as good as new. My best friend bought it for his 16 year old daughter (who promptly totaled it!).

I think Nissan, Toyota, and Honda all build great cars. Of those three marques, I believe Honda has the best reputation for build quality and longevity out there in the "auto enthusiast world." We are not an island here. We are part of that world.

Let me quickly say that I was just trying to pull the OP back down to Planet Earth with these comments. As a former owner of Honda motorcycles, cars and other products, I think they make great stuff.

But his broad sweeping generalization about Nissan products just required an opposing view, and it is true that a lot of people think Honda makes crap. (And I think they're as wrong as the OP).

The bottom line is my closing comment: "I make up my own mind."
Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by Acura98TL
They changed the gauges on the Type S......

I knew it!! ORANGE!!!! Just like the Civic Si
Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

For those of you who feel need to have angel eyes on your TL, the refresh makes it easier for you to do so (no more squarish fog light housing).

Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ben88
No one has mentioned that the g35 is made in Japan and the TL is made in the U.S. Does that matter to anyone?
Please dont bring this Made in Japan is better vs the world thing again...Just look at the media over the past year and all of the recall and quality problems coming out of Japan. Even the japanese government is coming down hard on Honda, Toyota etc for their weak policy on recalls etc...Their are lots of other manufactures in the world that can produce just as good or even better than some stuff coming out of Japan.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 AM
TTL PKG

I really like those type S tail lights. I think they would look hot on an ANT TL.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Airline jet aircraft tech

The lower fog lights appear to be similar to the optional fogs I had on my 03 Accord. I had to modify the wiring on them because the fogs would only work with the headlights on. That would lead me to beleive it would be an option for non Type-S models. The shape of the lower grill inserts have changed at the outer ends, probably making it non- swappable to 04-06 TL's. I would assume the stock air intake is different due to the positioning of the fog's.

I might consider refitting to navi with real traffic, headlights, taillights, side mirrors and steering wheel without the paddles depending on cost.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:29 AM
TLove

the car looks pretty good, i gotta admit. but its too similar to the 04-06 to pay more for them. heck the base model has the same headlights.

i do like the new design of the door panel inserts. the back up camera is a nice feature too!
i wonder how well the ipod integration works and if it will work with the 04-06s (however i dont think it will charge the ipod)

realtime traffic is a nice feature.

i kind of like the blue interior lighting theme better, even the red does look nice.

im not sure which tails i like better tho, they both look pretty good. that mite be one thing which i switch over if i get the chance. oh yea, and the rear sidemarkers
Old 08-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Racer

I'm jealous. i want those guages and the steering wheel. The tail lights look pretty good too.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:38 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mecca88
...I don't see any logical reason to get it over the '07 G35. The '07 G35 is going to be priced at 37k.. for that amount of money you get RWD, more horsepower, hard drive, etc.

Not only that... I personally think Infiniti's build quality has improved so much that it surpasses that of Acura. Look at the leather seats of the '06 G35 quality compared to that of the TL. The TL's leather is like that of a civic or accord. The backseat of the G35 is more comfortable than the TL.. It reclines! That's a sign of company wanting to satisfy its customers...

Basically, I'm pretty fed up with Acura putting that type of quality in a 30k car.. totally not acceptable.

The only logical reason I see to get a TL is that a TL is a Honda and a G35 is a Nissan. That's all the reason I need. I think the new G35 is an ugly car with WAY too much chrome and I couldn't care less that the back seat reclines! If someone gave me an '07 G35, I'd sell the gas-guzzling POS and buy a TL.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Orlando is on the list of metro areas covered by NavTraffic .

Now in 44 Markets and Growing
Since the launch of XM NavTraffic in October 2004, there has been a focus on enhancing the market coverage as well as the quality of the data gathered from each market. The service began with 20 markets, and with XM focusing on continuous expansion of the XM NavTraffic service, is now covering 44 major metropolitan markets. The larger markets in the XM NavTraffic service are supported 24/7 for round the clock information. With expansion continuing into smaller markets, they will not currently offer 24/7 coverage - but will offer coverage during normal commuting hours. The XM NavTraffic service will continue to expand in the future through joint development with our data partner, NAVTEQ Traffic, as new markets are launched and new technology enables enhanced data collection capability.

Market Coverage Map:

XM NavTraffic, powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, now covers 44 markets:

· Atlanta, GA
· Austin, TX
· Baltimore, MD
· Boston, MA
· Buffalo - Niagara Falls, NY
· Charlotte, NC
· Chicago, IL
· Cincinnati, OH
· Cleveland, OH
· Columbus, OH
· Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
· Denver - Boulder, CO
· Detroit, MI
· Hartford - New Britain - Middletown, CT
· Houston - Galveston, TX
· Indianapolis, IN
· Kansas City, KS
· Las Vegas, NV
· Los Angeles, CA
· Memphis, TN
· Miami - Ft. Lauderdale -
Hollywood, FL
· Milwaukee - Racine, WI
· Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN
· Nashville, TN
· New York, NY
· Norfolk - Virginia Beach - Newport News, VA
· Orlando, FL
· Philadelphia, PA
· Phoenix, AZ
· Pittsburgh, PA
· Portland, OR
· Providence - Warwick -
Pawtucket, RI
· Sacramento, CA
· Sarasota - Bradenton, FL
· San Antonio, TX
· San Diego, CA
· San Francisco - Oakland, CA
· San Jose, CA
· Seattle - Tacoma, WA
· St. Louis, MO
· Tampa - St Petersburg -
Clearwater, FL
· Washington, DC
· West Palm Beach - Boca Raton, FL
· Wilmington, DE
Old 08-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by halfaznguy87
My fellow TLers, seriously, lets stop fretting about this. Yes we're all disappointed but still I think we all saw this coming. Lets all place our hopes in the generation 5 TL. Acura has too much to lose, in my opinion, in not doing what we all want for the next generation. I mean they're not bad cars, we can all attest to that, it's just we're all sick of being second place to the others in terms of power, handling, and luxury...when we know they can do better. I'm really anxious for the generation 5 in 1 or 2 years, I have a feeling they'll do this one right...
Excuse me??? Second place to WHAT in luxury and handling???? Sure... the RWD Infinity is marginally better in balance and therefor handling is better, but Luxury??? That plastic piece of #$%$??? Gimme a break!!!

D.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

NavTraffic?

I hope that they do a better job than their map layout.
Last time I looked, Columbus, Ohio was NOT northwest of Indianapolis!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Brake dust is a badge

I wonder if it'll be easy to get these pedals...for the MT of course:
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 AM
TLove

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
I knew it!! ORANGE!!!! Just like the Civic Si
....or red?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM
TLove

i wonder if the a-spec package will be available for the 07...?

if not, in terms of exterior styling, i think
an a-spec with blacked out headlights > type - s
Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Just reviewed the Autoweek pictures.

The only thing I don't like about the Type S exterior is the quad tailpipes. I like that there is NavTraffic. No one has commented on the rearview camera in the Autoweek picture selection, that is a MUST on this car with.

I KNOW Acura folks follow this website and they appear to have put a lot of thought into the visual features, which are so much like what we've done over the years to our cars. If only they'd added AWD as an option, as many of have begged.....I would have my deposit in for a new 2007 TL now, AND I'd pay $39k happily for that.

Hmmm.....I still think that overall it's not worth a trade-up from my 2004, and that I can hold out for another two years until the new 2009 model, but I could potentially change my mind after a test drive with that J35 engine. Can't wait until October!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Race Director

I wonder what type of 0-60 the Type-S is gonna deliver, the new G35 is doing it with 5 Second FLAT! The rear of the new TL looks very nice, the front looks wierd
Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Sorry, just a few thoughts.
I've been reading all the posts and all I can say is just be happy with what you have. The G35 is a great car, but so to is the TL. if I wanted a coupe I'd probably go with the G35, but I personally wanted a sedan with a little kick to it. The TL is a mid size luxury sedan with a decent amount of power under the hood. You've got the luxury of more expensive vehicles and the pick up and performance of sportier vehicles.

Now, the 2007 TL-S looks great and it sucks that I just bought my TL a couple of months ago, but that's just the way it goes. I'm not going to knock the new TL, I think it looks good. I just wish they had bumped it up to 300+ HP. I do prefer the whole blue theme on the present TLs (goes with my blue interior, soon to be installed illuminated sills and sound system...). I love the quad exhaust, but I got a comptech exhaust (not bad at all). The pedals look good, but the ones from ultimate pedals and supercomputer (acura racing pedals) look just as good if not better (have these). I must say the tail lights and side markers look good ( I have my tail and sides blacked out, I do like it but it could look cleaner). I would definately like to add these to my TL.

I wasn't supposed to rant on, but basically besides the minor cosmetic and engine changes there's not that much new. Having said that if I did not already have a 3g TL and was in the market for one I would definately consider one. For 39k it's not that bad. A base TL with nav costs on average of 33k (approx. natl. average) add another 3-5k (depending in where you purchased it from and installation costs) for total A-spec. You're already looking at between 36-38k, now add a sportier exhaust, another 1k (installed) and your close to the asking price. BUT, if the 39 k does not include a nav, then $41k may be a little too much. However, if dealers give 2-3 k off MSRP then the car will be worth it (I doubt they'll give much of a discount initially).

In closing, if you're considering a new TL take a look at the TL-S, but remember besides the slight changes there's not that much more. You can get a great deal on a base TL w/ nav. For those wanting power a simple exhaust, CAI and pro cats can get you the same performance gains. But, these will probably be available for TL-S eventually too.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Racer

Okay, I'm jealous now. The non TypeS sure has ugly tail lights though.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM
05 S2000, 07 SI

The site seemed slow for me...
I managed to download the pics and put them all on one page... http://albeik.com/2007tl/

I am neutral with the new design. I think interior/technology improvements are EXCELLENT. Exterior styling however, is another story.

Interior
Base TL and Type-S = excellent changes

Exterior
Fog Lights: Everybody seems to be heading to that direction. Even the new 07 G35 is moving the foglights and the same goes with the new Maxima. Although, I think Acura should've styled a little more aggressively and make it looks less like the TSX.
Quad Exhausts: Although I miss the futuristic and sleek look of the exhausts on the base TL; the quad exhausts on the Type-S is still sleek and don't just protrude outwards, but rather flows with the rear curve style of the car. Looks nice.
Rear Lights: Type-S is now smoked -- This is really taste; with a black car it may look better (or white) -- the base TL should've had the same design. The base TL's white colors in the center of the rear-lights seem out of place. Summary: Good for the Type-S ... Doesn't flow with the base TL (should've retained the old design or used the Type-S)
Wheels: I prefer the old design -- it flowed better with the rest of the car. The base TL should've at least retained the old design and the Type-S got the A-Spec wheels 18" standard!!!.

just my 0.02c
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Why has this thread devolved into a G35 roxxors and TL suxxors (and vice versa) argument. I think they both look very nice, but are very different and appeal to different tastes. People tout the G35 rear wheel drive's better balance and no torque steer, but those of us who live in areas prone to snow/ice don't want rear wheel drive (my RWD BMW 3.0 Z3 was a blast to drive, but when it was snowy, it was white knuckle, say your hail Marys, scary as sh*t). After a few trips in the snow in a RWD car, I was begging for FWD torque steer!

I looked at the G35, BMW 3 series, and the TL. The Bimmer was quickly eliminated from the race. The G35 vs. TL was much more difficult. For me, the exterior styling on the TL edged out the G35 just slightly (but they are so different, it's like apples and oranges). Interior styling on the TL won by a larger margin. Both are a kick in the pants to drive. FWD (torque steer and all) was a positive for me. I've had great reliability with Honda in the past (and my family with Acura). My family and friends have had less luck with Nissan (but that goes back about 7 years and may be totally different now). So the TL won.

Anyway, I've ordered my 2006 TL (andthracite metallic/quartz, no navi). And now I wait...the agony! For those buying the G35, it's a great, nice looking car too. Now, can't we all just get along? LOL!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:07 PM
05 S2000, 07 SI

[...I posted mine earlier quickly and by the time I finished typing the forum didn't allow me to edit it...]

The site seemed slow for me...
I managed to download the pics and put them all on one page... http://albeik.com/2007tl/

I am neutral with the new design. I think interior/technology improvements are EXCELLENT. Exterior styling however, is another story.

Interior
Base TL and Type-S = excellent changes

Exterior
Fog Lights: Everybody seems to be heading to that direction. Even the new 07 G35 is moving the foglights and the same goes with the new Maxima. Although, I think Acura should have styled it a little more aggressively and make it looks less like the TSX.

Quad Exhausts: Although I miss the futuristic and sleek look of the exhausts on the base TL; the quad exhausts on the Type-S is still sleek and do not simply protrude outwards, but rather flows with the rear curve style of the car. Looks nice.

Rear Lights: Type-S looks smoked -- with a black car it may look better (or white) -- the base TL should've had the same design. The base TL's white colors in the center of the rear-lights seem out of place. Summary: Good for the Type-S ... Doesn't flow with the base TL (should've retained the old design or used the same design as Type-S)

Wheels: I prefer the old design -- it flowed better with the rest of the car. The base TL should've at least retained the old design and the Type-S got the A-Spec wheels 18" standard!!!.

Engine
Good upgrades -- although the FWD and < 300hp will be hard to sell to those who are compare-shopping with G35 (AWD/RWD) (306hp), IS (RWD) (306hp), 3-series (RWD/AWD) (255hp) buyers.

Overall:
  • With SH-AWD™ missing in the formula and less than 300hp -- I'll have to wait.
  • In terms of technology I would say they are in the same department as the G35 and IS (more so G35) give and take.
  • Depending on the price point for the new G35 -- the "value-for-what-you-get" on a TL may not be justified this time around -- time will tell...

just my
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Based on these pics of the seats in the TL-S:

does anyone else think some of the small styling details of the TL-S (wheels, seats, etc.) might still be in the process of being ironed out? The leather on the seats in the pic doesn't look to be very tight, like it was thrown together quickly for that photo shoot. And yes, I know the 3G TL doesn't have the best history for leather quality, but still I wonder...

Quick Reply: 2007+ MERGED THREAD, SPECS ARE NOW ON PAGE 1, POST #1