Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
You're the biggest hater in here. Along with the biggest hypocrite.

You should sell your iphone so you can resume your pure apple hater gold card status.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,260 Likes on 5,221 Posts
You're the biggest hater in here. Along with the biggest hypocrite.

You should sell your iphone so you can resume your pure apple hater gold card status.
more butter? more syrup?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator

who buys Toshiba desktops/?? rofl
Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Youre arguing growth and stock, that doesnt make you hater.
Correct... I think the company is intriguing. It never ceases to amaze me how devoted their fans are. I had to laugh when I saw a VW ad above the window that I'm typing this. Advertise VW in an apple thread... these targeted ad programs are GOOD!

I do hate my iPod and I do hate iTunes though. The Zune HD, Zune Pass all-you-can-eat music service, and the Zune Software are miles ahead for a music lover. Call me old-school, but I like devices that do few things REALLY well instead of trying to do everything and compromising all the way.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Originally Posted by Mockenrue
Correct... I think the company is intriguing. It never ceases to amaze me how devoted their fans are. I had to laugh when I saw a VW ad above the window that I'm typing this. Advertise VW in an apple thread... these targeted ad programs are GOOD!

I do hate my iPod and I do hate iTunes though. The Zune HD, Zune Pass all-you-can-eat music service, and the Zune Software are miles ahead for a music lover. Call me old-school, but I like devices that do few things REALLY well instead of trying to do everything and compromising all the way.
BMW, too.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Mockenrue

What ads are you talking about? Zune.. wannabe ipod..
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Zune.. wannabe ipod..
Depends how you look at it.

The first gen zunes were junk.

The zune HD isnt terrible from the 2 seconds i played with it. Every review I read about it which corroborates Mock is that its better laid out for people who love music and want it as a music player.

The software i have no clue. I still think itunes is the best organized music software out there.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
nnInn

I was just making a comment about an item I have never used, seen or will buy.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
The Third Ball

Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Just had an interesting conversation with an older gentlemen while having a beer and dinner, kind of funny to see a 60ish apple fan. Anyways he dugg it. While I was paying my bill I overheard a convo of two 30ish people discussing it as well, 1 had his iphone on the table and thought it was a great idea. The other was initially against saying they missed the target, then in less than 30 seconds flip flopped and said it'll probably be a success "I'm sure there marketing is smarter than me". What I find most interesting is the amount of people that are getting into gadgets etc, people actually mentioning sites like engadget in normal conversations and following keynotes. 5 years ago I thought I was a little crazy for reading engadget and tomshardware, but it's starting to look like I was just ahead of the curve. It's pretty wild that hardware is generating as much buzz as the new "it" movie or "pop" artist. Beyond anything this will represent a paradigm shift in how media is consumed. ex. books no longer have to be linear in nature, a chemistry book for example could have animations on how molecules interact etc. Hopefully the content creators let their imagination run wild.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
A comment like that is completely irrelevant in this thread. Well done.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Anachostic
A comment like that is completely irrelevant in this thread. Well done.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
What's race and religion have to do with this?
Everything...
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,252 Likes on 6,213 Posts
Depends how you look at it.

The zune HD isnt terrible from the 2 seconds i played with it. Every review I read about it which corroborates Mock is that its better laid out for people who love music and want it as a music player.

The software i have no clue. I still think itunes is the best organized music software out there.
I use my ZuneHD everyday for music, it's touch interface is better than the iPhones music interface. Which is more the fault of the iPhone cause the ZuneHD is nothing extraordinary. The ZuneHD you can swipe left or right to change tracks much like changing between pics in the photo gallery in iPhone but you can't change tracks that way on the iPhone you actually have to look at it to hit a button. The ZHD can be controlled without looking at it even though it's got a touch UI and only three buttons. You can swipe up and down to lower volume too.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I use my ZuneHD everyday for music, it's touch interface is better than the iPhones music interface. Which is more the fault of the iPhone cause the ZuneHD is nothing extraordinary. The ZuneHD you can swipe left or right to change tracks much like changing between pics in the photo gallery in iPhone but you can't change tracks that way on the iPhone you actually have to look at it to hit a button. The ZHD can be controlled without looking at it even though it's got a touch UI and only three buttons. You can swipe up and down to lower volume too.
I dont have to look at my iphone to change tracks...

If I'm using the earbuds (and I almost never listen to music like this anyway) I just use the controller on the earbuds.

If I'm in my car I use the stereo interface in either of my 3 cars to control the iphone.

same results, different executions
Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree. I do like the second gen small ones better than the nano though.

its better laid out for people who love music and want it as a music player.
Correct... the biggest advantage of the iPod Touch is the apps. I don't want apps, I want a really good music player and music discovery. Tonight I was sitting on my recliner listening to a podcast. I heard a tune that peaked my interest (a band I hadn't heard of called Engineers). While still sitting there, I jumped on the Marketplace from the Zune and started streaming the album (over wifi) without having to buy it. You just can't do that with Apple. It also syncs over wifi, which the iPod (or apparently iPad) can't do. I download and try out literally hundreds of albums... can't do that on iTunes without buying each one. The Zune HD also has a great Home Theater dock with optical digital output so I can listen on my system with high end DACs and speakers. That's not even mentioning the Tegra processor, awesome OLED screen, 720p video out to TV via HDMI, etc.

The software is much easier and better organized than iTunes. I actually have three Zunes (32gb Zune HD, little 8gb zune for workouts and running, and 8gb zune for the wife). All three can share Zune Pass, but it's a breeze to maintain one big library with different sync rules for each device. For a passionate music lover, Zune/ZunePass is a life changer.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPad is a slick device. If I got one for free, I'd enjoy playing with it for sure, but it doesn't fill a niche for me. My Dell XPS m1330 thin/light laptop takes care of the family room and on-the-go internet and app needs. It cost less than the high end iPad, is screaming fast, and does way more.

Last edited by Mockenrue; 01-28-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Sanest Florida Man

OH and in regards to that stupid core i5/i7 debate, first off i7 laptop chips are very power hungry and get crap battery life and I don't see Apple offering them except in maybe the MBP 17 but not as the default processor. Another reason Apple doesn't have these chips yet is cause there's a fight between nvidia and intel that's effecting apple the most out of all the laptop makers. Apple's standard is intel CPU with nvidia 9400m (ion) graphics. Well Intel is saying that nvidia doesn't have the rights from intel to use their integrated graphic chips with new intel Core iX series chips. So Apples choices are to go discrete graphics again in all their lineup or use Intel's integrated graphics that come with the Core i5 processor. But if they did that that would be a step back in performance also there's a new feature in Snow Leopard called OpenCL that uses the floating point parallel processing power of the graphics processor to speed up certain activities. If they went with discrete graphics it would increase performance but cost more and get less battery life. If the went with Intel it would get worse graphics performance than the previous generation of MBPs and I don't think it supports OpenCL.

But Apple has been known to get special treatment here or there but I don't think they'll come together for steve, Nvidia and Intel are at each others throats. So Apple's kinda screwed right now so give them some time to figure it out. my guess is they go the all discrete route again but then have worse battery life, unless they put a better battery in. UNLESS this new Nvidia tech does what it says it does, then Apple will just wait for this tech to get ready before updating their laptop line.

As we approach CES we wanted to tell you about an upcoming mobile technology that we will be introducing in Q1. It is called NVIDIA Optimus technology. NVIDIA Optimus technology works on notebook platforms with NVIDIA GPUs. It is unique to NVIDIA. It is seamless and transparent to the user. Its purpose is to optimize the mobile experience by letting the user get the performance of discrete graphics from a notebook while still delivering great battery life. Look for more details next month.
So I'd expect them to debut this new tech with Apple laptops

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/201...us-primer.html

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 01-28-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I dont have to look at my iphone to change tracks...

If I'm using the earbuds (and I almost never listen to music like this anyway) I just use the controller on the earbuds.

If I'm in my car I use the stereo interface in either of my 3 cars to control the iphone.

same results, different executions
true you do have the controller on those headphones, I use the in-ear ones that came with my Zune 80 and love them. Much better quality than the ones that come with the iPhone. I would like a similar controller but I can do just fine without it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Post IGN: Apple iPad Hands-On

From IGN...

The day has come; Apple has finally unveiled their long awaited tablet device, and they call it the iPad. The iPad, as Apple describes it, bridges the gap between laptops and smartphones, incorporating functions found on both product types to create new mobile utility for consumers. Boasting a 9.7-inch LED-backlit multitouch display, Wi-Fi and optional 3G networking, flash-based internal storage, and the promise of 10 hours of continuous use, the iPad already has industry analysts and the media in frenzy. IGN was on-hand delivering live updates from the event (recap it minute-by-minute on our live blog) and after the keynote we were given an opportunity to go hands-on with the iPad. Is it as exciting in-use as it is on paper? We weigh in.

At first glance, the iPad looks a lot like a slightly enlarged iPod touch, but in person, the device is a lot bigger and heftier than you would think. A little over 9.5-inches tall and 7.47-inches wide when standing vertically, the iPad commands a lot of space, whether you're gripping it between your hands, laying it flat on a surface, or resting it on your lap. Depth wise, the iPad is also a bit thicker than we expected it to be, coming in at roughly half an inch thick. Sure anything below an inch thick sounds slim, but compared to the Kindle and other mobile devices, the iPad is a bit on the chubbier side of things. It isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it did come as a bit of a surprise.

Beyond the iPad's dimensional strengths and shortcomings, it is a remarkably well constructed device. The glass screen is made of the same material used on the iPhone, making it reasonably scratch and smudge proof, but likely to be just as susceptible to cracking as the result of impacts. Obviously we'll have to take a hammer or jagged rock to it to be sure, but we can safely assume that owners will want to slap a case on it just to be safe. The back casing is matte aluminum, which adds a little extra grip and a nice solid feel to the device.

Under the hood, the iPad has a new chip powering it called the Apple A4, which is clocked in at 1GHz. While not exactly a high-powered CPU for a full-fledged computer, the Apple A4 processor works great with the iPad and its optimized apps. Browsing media, web pages, and home screen interfaces was smooth and quick – no drops in frame rates or freezing. On the whole, the speed and efficiency of the iPad was pretty impressive. Considering that the device takes multi-touch input from over 1,000 sensors in its display while simultaneously running and scaling apps to the larger display, the user experience is pretty seamless.

But, the iPads on display were definitely pre-production models, and on certain hardware we did notice a bit of a slowdown in processing speeds as iPod functionality was used simultaneously with apps. I also noticed that in one program the on-screen keyboard was missing keys. We'd be incredibly surprised to find these problems in the mass market models when the release in late March, but it seemed worth noting.

One thing Apple definitely got right with the iPad was the screen – its big, bright, and vibrant. High-resolution pictures looked fantastic and high-definition video played without a single hiccup. The only area of concern we have with the iPad's screen is its functionality as an eReader. Because it has a full-fledged LCD display, the iPad may be a little straining on the eyes when reading full iBooks. In this regard, I'm skeptical about the iPad reinvigorating the print industry with digital distribution.

The iPad's iTunes software is a substantial improvement over the iPod touch or the iPhone's mobile variations. For one, the iPad incorporates the real-time preview features of the full Mac versions, and the in-app pop-up windows are pretty impressive. While we were hoping to see more extensive multiple window applications, the iPad's use of pop up windows in apps is pretty handy. The most useful implementation of the pop up window that we encountered was in the email program, which allowed users to preview email attachments in interactive windows, like for instance, a contact attachment. From within the window, we were able to look at the contact's picture, phone number, and email information rather than opening it in the iPad's address book program.

As our first introduction to the iPad, today's hands-on event leaves us wanting to see and experience more, especially in more practical, day-to-day applications. Stay tuned to IGN for more pre-release coverage and a full review of the iPad.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
I know Mizouse likes it...but, he's a converted Asian. We have disowned him and sent the word out to the rest of the world that no woman shall ever touch him.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, who said i like it.

i mean i kind of like it but im on the fence about it.

it seems to do exactly what ive wanted. just a quick and easy device to surf the net, look up shit etc etc, that i could use while im on the couch watching TV or playing games.
Id also use it maybe while on vacation to store images and look at them on a bigger and better screen.

a laptop/netbook to me is too cumbersome because i have to flip it open and flip it closed as well as the sheer size and bulkiness of them. i cant just set it aside if i dont need to use it at the moment.

as for no camera, i dont really care. I dont expect people to carry this around to take pictures outside, its a little to big for that. can you imagine holding up this massive 9.7inch display to take a picture..

a forward facing cam for video chat, while it would be nice, i never video chat so i have no need for it.

i would like if it did have multi tasking, but that is at the OS level and could be easily added.

anyways i want to see more information about the HP slate before I make any decisions.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
OH and in regards to that stupid core i5/i7 debate, first off i7 laptop chips are very power hungry and get crap battery life and I don't see Apple offering them except in maybe the MBP 17 but not as the default processor. Another reason Apple doesn't have these chips yet is cause there's a fight between nvidia and intel that's effecting apple the most out of all the laptop makers. Apple's standard is intel CPU with nvidia 9400m (ion) graphics. Well Intel is saying that nvidia doesn't have the rights from intel to use their integrated graphic chips with new intel Core iX series chips. So Apples choices are to go discrete graphics again in all their lineup or use Intel's integrated graphics that come with the Core i5 processor. But if they did that that would be a step back in performance also there's a new feature in Snow Leopard called OpenCL that uses the floating point parallel processing power of the graphics processor to speed up certain activities. If they went with discrete graphics it would increase performance but cost more and get less battery life. If the went with Intel it would get worse graphics performance than the previous generation of MBPs and I don't think it supports OpenCL.

But Apple has been known to get special treatment here or there but I don't think they'll come together for steve, Nvidia and Intel are at each others throats. So Apple's kinda screwed right now so give them some time to figure it out. my guess is they go the all discrete route again but then have worse battery life, unless they put a better battery in. UNLESS this new Nvidia tech does what it says it does, then Apple will just wait for this tech to get ready before updating their laptop line.

So I'd expect them to debut this new tech with Apple laptops

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/201...us-primer.html
thanks for that info
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 PM
The Third Ball

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash
Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm of the opinion that much of the current corporate ill will between Apple and Adobe traces back to Apple's cancellation of 64-bit carbon. We'll never know, but it likely cost Adobe millions in dead-end development time.

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits...-and-blues.ars
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Nice article. I didn't know that plugins ran in a separate process, is that only in snow leopard Or just a feature of Safari 4? In IE8 and Google Chrome each tab runs as a separate process so if one tab crashes it doesn't affect the other tabs but running the plugins in a separate process is a good idea.

I’ve been hard on Flash Player for Mac OS X, but this performance situation is not entirely in Adobe’s hands. On Windows, Flash makes use of hardware decoding for H.264, if available. On Mac OS X, it does not. This is one reason why Flash video playback performs better on Windows than Mac OS X, and also why H.264 playback on Mac OS X is better through QuickTime (which does use hardware decoding).
Windows does not have hardware acceleration in flash video.....yet. That's the new feature that's in flash 10.1 but that's still in beta. The flash 10.1 beta for OS X does not include hardware acceleration though due to Apple not exposing the API's necessary to enable it. True that quicktime in Windows does not use hardware acceleration and in general is total shit and I hate it. Thankfully Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7 plays all the formats that QT does including .mov and h.264 and does provide hardware acceleration and real time transcoding to other formats so you can stream it to all your DLNA devices.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Sanest Florida Man

^ZOMG! I'm soooo getting one of those! It's sooo sexy!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 AM

Old 01-29-2010, 12:38 AM
The Third Ball

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/29/...ame-as-amazon/
Old 01-29-2010, 12:57 AM

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/27/...-multitasking/

iPad SDK 3.2 Details: External Display, File Sharing System, No Multitasking

Wednesday January 27, 2010 05:24 PM EST
Written by Arnold Kim

Apple has unleashed iPhone OS 3.2 SDK to developers today to prepare for the launch of the Apple iPad. The new iPhone OS 3.2 only runs on the iPad device and will not run on the iPhone or iPod Touch. The accompanying documents are said to have revealed a number of interesting features about the iPad and the latest version of the iPad operating system.

- External Display Support. iPad applications will be able to display content specifically targeted to an external display connected to the iPad via the Dock connector. This sort of external monitor support has never been allowed with the iPhone SDK.
- File Sharing. A shared file directory is provided that will mount on your Mac or PC. This is presumably how files such as iWork documents will be transferred to and from the iPad. iPad applications will be able to access this shared directory.
- No Multitasking. Only one application runs at a time according to official documentation.
- Universal Apps. There will be support for universal apps that support both iPhone and iPad.

Of course, a lot of questions remain, and we'll certainly hear more as we approach the iPad's ship date.
so you could have one thing displaying on your ipad and something else outputted via the dock connector?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Mizouse
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/27/...-multitasking/

so you could have one thing displaying on your ipad and something else outputted via the dock connector?
No. its going to be a straight output limited to 480p/576p (boo) with audio

OR 1024x768 via a VGA connector with no audio (though you could simply do audio with a male to male 3/4" jack.)

www.ilounge.com
Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 AM

sucks, i liked the idea that i could have one thing showing on the ipad display and something else showing on the external display, if the app supported it that is.

ohh well.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I can't be assed to multiquote this morning, so some random thoughts:

- I wouldn't read that much into the stock plummeting the day after. This week has seen a few stock prices surge pre-event/announcement/disclosures and fall the day of/day after and investors seeing a tidy little gain. The fall reflects the surge to sell for that, not really the news, as in almost every other case, the report was good news.

- I wouldn't call using the iPod and something else on the iPhone 'multitasking.' I call it playing music and doing something else, because that's all it can do. Unitasking+1. It's by far my biggest disappointment of both the iPhone and iPad.

- I think Apple does know what they are doing in terms of this market niche, but I think they are going to have some major competition in this niche if someone can step up and provide the things it is missing. Which would be great, because it would force Apple to step up. If this thing could run a Mac OS with the iPhone GUI, I think that would be a better way to go. For me, anyway.

- Printing. The current solutions for the iPhone aren't acceptable, and I wish Steve would give us an in-house solution. If you're going to be using the iWork software in any great length, I think this is really necessary.

- HDMI - I really don't see it as a big concern. USB? That's a different story. But it's all about selling accessories. If you're an Apple fanboy and want to watch your iTunes or library movies on your TV, you probably already have AppleTV. If you're a Windows person, you either have a HTPC or can get a nettop. Not a dealbreaker to most people.

- That's waaaaaay too much landscape to only have four columns of icons. I hope there's a setting to change that, or we'll have to wait for the jailbreakers.

I still like it, but I'm far less inclined to buy it today than I was when the price point was announced. The eye candy factor has conflicted with my reason.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I can't be assed to multiquote this morning, so some random thoughts:

- I wouldn't read that much into the stock plummeting the day after. This week has seen a few stock prices surge pre-event/announcement/disclosures and fall the day of/day after and investors seeing a tidy little gain. The fall reflects the surge to sell for that, not really the news, as in almost every other case, the report was good news.

- I wouldn't call using the iPod and something else on the iPhone 'multitasking.' I call it playing music and doing something else, because that's all it can do. Unitasking+1. It's by far my biggest disappointment of both the iPhone and iPad.

- I think Apple does know what they are doing in terms of this market niche, but I think they are going to have some major competition in this niche if someone can step up and provide the things it is missing. Which would be great, because it would force Apple to step up. If this thing could run a Mac OS with the iPhone GUI, I think that would be a better way to go. For me, anyway.

- Printing. The current solutions for the iPhone aren't acceptable, and I wish Steve would give us an in-house solution. If you're going to be using the iWork software in any great length, I think this is really necessary.

- HDMI - I really don't see it as a big concern. USB? That's a different story. But it's all about selling accessories. If you're an Apple fanboy and want to watch your iTunes or library movies on your TV, you probably already have AppleTV. If you're a Windows person, you either have a HTPC or can get a nettop. Not a dealbreaker to most people.

- That's waaaaaay too much landscape to only have four columns of icons. I hope there's a setting to change that, or we'll have to wait for the jailbreakers.

I still like it, but I'm far less inclined to buy it today than I was when the price point was announced. The eye candy factor has conflicted with my reason.
how much time do you think Geohot and the others are going to put into jailbreaking a niche item?? Especially considering that those who in that niche are probably not the jailbreaking type.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Someone will, just for the chance to say they did it.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by amisconception
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM

no, its a big fail imo.

they shouldve used an ipod touch.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Mizouse
no, its a big fail imo.

they shouldve used an ipod touch.
Why? ipod touch can't access network data. The ipad is more of a big iphone than ipod touch.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Someone will, just for the chance to say they did it.
Yea eventually, but that war has died down a lot. We used to see jailbreaks the same day as software releases. Now it takes weeks sometimes. I'm curious to see how long they take to JB this thing.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Comparison of slates/pads:

http://gizmodo.com/5459308/slate-sho...yline=true&s=i

Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I love my touch, use it all the time for web browsing etc... So I'm all for a bigger version. Just not quite sure I'm willing to spend $500-600 for one. I'll be all over it when/if the price drops.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread