Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,252 Likes on 6,213 Posts
I'm not so sure that this thing will be a big success in say the healthcare industry. Tablet PCs are already well in use there and they provide a lot of essential functionality that this device doesn't have. Such as printing support especially network printers, the ability to join a domain and be controlled, access to network shares, the ability to multi-task applications and use more than one USB devices at a time, pen support and good handwriting recognition, support for proprietary line of business applications, a physical keyboard so you easily jump in to some serious data entry but still have a multi-touch keyboard on screen.

I can see a case for the iPhone or iPod touch doing simple tasks like testing blood sugar levels, heartbeats, etc but not this device replacing a full tablet PC laptop.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,260 Likes on 5,221 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I'm not so sure that this thing will be a big success in say the healthcare industry. Tablet PCs are already well in use there and they provide a lot of essential functionality that this device doesn't have. Such as printing support especially network printers, the ability to join a domain and be controlled, access to network shares, the ability to multi-task applications and use more than one USB devices at a time, pen support and good handwriting recognition, support for proprietary line of business applications, a physical keyboard so you easily jump in to some serious data entry but still have a multi-touch keyboard on screen.

I can see a case for the iPhone or iPod touch doing simple tasks like testing blood sugar levels, heartbeats, etc but not this device replacing a full tablet PC laptop.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA

We'll see, I've been hearing a lot of doctors use their iphones with regards to their patients with all the med apps made available.

And all the docs offices I've been to were big bulky laptops, one place had a fricking tower...
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CIO of Harvard Med School brought up these concerns also:

"However, the ideal clinical device would include a camera for clinical photography and video teleconferencing. Entering data via the touch screen with gloved hands may be challenging on a capacitance touch screen. Holding the iPad with one hand means hunt and peck typing with the remaining hand.

"The device is a bit large for a white coat pocket, may be hard to disinfect, and may not be tolerant of dropping onto a hospital floor."

But says it is worth checking out.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
The CIO of Harvard Med School brought up these concerns also:

"However, the ideal clinical device would include a camera for clinical photography and video teleconferencing. Entering data via the touch screen with gloved hands may be challenging on a capacitance touch screen. Holding the iPad with one hand means hunt and peck typing with the remaining hand.

"The device is a bit large for a white coat pocket, may be hard to disinfect, and may not be tolerant of dropping onto a hospital floor."

But says it is worth checking out.
Complete horseshit.

He isn't bitching that full sized laptops not fitting into lab coats.

I have NEVER had to have photographs taken that didnt require specialized cameras (microscopic/xray)

Also...when have you been in a docs office and had a video conference?

I dont see doctors disinfecting their laptops...nor do they type on with their gloves...Like any doc/dentist/etc they type, put on gloves, examine, remove gloves type...if needed put on new gloves.

Also, Ive worked my iphone wearing thin cotton gloves. I know for a fact that touch screen works flawlessly with a latex glove. I just tried it.

The laptops are placed on the counters...so can the pad for typing if need be. One hospital I went had docs carry around full sized laptops with a hand strap on the bottom...how convenient is that???
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Complete horseshit.
True... what does this guy know?

John D. Halamka, MD, MS, is Chief Information Officer of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Chief Information Officer at Harvard Medical School, Chairman of the New England Healthcare Exchange Network (NEHEN), Chair of the US Healthcare Information Technology Standards Panel (HITSP)/Co-Chair of the HIT Standards Committee, and a practicing Emergency Physician
Old 01-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

John D. Halamka, MD, MS, is Chief Information Officer of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Chief Information Officer at Harvard Medical School, Chairman of the New England Healthcare Exchange Network (NEHEN), Chair of the US Healthcare Information Technology Standards Panel (HITSP)/Co-Chair of the HIT Standards Committee, and a practicing Emergency Physician
clearly, a hater.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Old 01-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
+1
Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Complete horseshit.

I have NEVER had to have photographs taken that didnt require specialized cameras (microscopic/xray)

I dont see doctors disinfecting their laptops...nor do they type on with their gloves...Like any doc/dentist/etc they type, put on gloves, examine, remove gloves type...if needed put on new gloves.

Also, Ive worked my iphone wearing thin cotton gloves. I know for a fact that touch screen works flawlessly with a latex glove. I just tried it.

The laptops are placed on the counters...so can the pad for typing if need be. One hospital I went had docs carry around full sized laptops with a hand strap on the bottom...how convenient is that???
I know you like the thing, but it almost sounds like you want them to be forced to use it.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Matt

Complete horseshit.

There is absolutely no use for the ipad in a hospital environment as it is today. I agree with you about having a double standard when saying it doesn't fit in the pocket, because tablets dont either. But your not suggesting that the ipad is a good alternative are you?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,252 Likes on 6,213 Posts
I think the HP Slate might be better than the iPad for healthcare. It's gets all the benefits of the Windows ecosystem and windows 7 multi-touch support and with W7 professional and XP mode you can run XP apps side by side with 7 apps. I'd be curious how multi-touch works in XP mode, i haven't heard anything. But this slate gives you almost all the benefits I listed above besides the physical keyboard and you get the size benefit of the iPad.

AMB6H.jpg
Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Doctors like keyboards....
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Doctors like pens....
fixed
Old 01-29-2010, 04:03 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I know you like the thing, but it almost sounds like you want them to be forced to use it.
I dont want anyone to be forced into using anything, I'm merely giving saying what uses the device could have. And this guy's argument is total BS.

If they aren't then they need to get laptops out of exam rooms ASAP or wrap them up in some cellophane the big germ farms they are, no?!!! What he is saying isnt just specific to the ipad it can be put towards any computer in a hospital or hospital room. He is also an ER doc and I'm talking private practice, family doctors.

Last time I was in the ER over a year ago, there were NO computers, except at desks.

Laugh all you want, you know I'm right.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
<object width="512" height="328" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_f7a03edbd7"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=f7a03edbd7" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="512" height="328" flashvars="key=f7a03edbd7" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_f7a03edbd7" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:512px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f7a03edbd7/pee-wee-gets-an-ipad" title="from Pee-wee Herman and Eric Appel">Pee-wee Gets An iPad!</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/peewee_herman">Pee-wee Herman</a></div>
Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
There is absolutely no use for the ipad in a hospital environment as it is today.
Then there is just no use for computers in hospitals today.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:06 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by srika
clearly, a hater.
Nothing better to say anymore than you're little two lines quips to instigate?

Nope, you don't. Go mod your photo forum where you've already said you don't do shit. It suits you.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

why are you so angry?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:11 PM
The Third Ball

why are you so angry?
why are you so worthless?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Old 01-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

good comeback.

The sentiments and reactions in this thread - from myself and others - are being echoed throughout the entire technological world. Yet you seem to be directing it at me, as if I'm some solitary source of irrational hate. None of my hate towards the ipad has been irrational. Everyone was waiting to see what it would be about - and then the device came out. If it was what I (and everyone else around the world) was expecting it to be, I would have been applauding it. It isn't.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 PM

About the HP slate, I think the biggest problem I have with it is that it's running windows 7.

Sure it maybe touch aware, but the OS itself was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse.

With the tablet you're using your finger for input. So digging thru menus and what not just to change some settings is going to be a pain in the ass.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
About the HP slate, I think the biggest problem I have with it is that it's running windows 7.

Sure it maybe touch aware, but the OS itself was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse.

With the tablet you're using your finger for input. So digging thru menus and what not just to change some settings is going to be a pain in the ass.
have you tried using Windows with a stylus? it's pretty damn awesome, really.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
They said the same thing about the iphone, now it has transformed what people want in handsets. I could care less about the fanboi crap on both sides, I've seen it too much with Canon vs Nikon.

What I hate is that it's been in no ones hands and it's a piece of shit. And that coming from people you have never used Apple product or ever will.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
nnInn

I used a Fujistu touch screen six years ago for work, I still needed the keypad.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

never did I say it was a piece of shit. I said, people (and not just me) were expecting a mini-laptop from Apple. Not a big iphone. That is all.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM
nnInn

never did I say it was a piece of shit. I said, people (and not just me) were expecting a mini-laptop from Apple. Not a big iphone. That is all.
That's the problem, if they know so much, start a company and make what they want. If you (not you but general) don't like this so be it and move on, don't keep fucking harping on it. This with everybody on just about everything fanboi or hater fanbois. It's a lot of what turned me off to Canon, fucking owner fanbois make me sick. Not to mention having the problems I had with their equipment.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:35 PM

Ok, So I have to use the stylus for everything. So then what's the point of having a capacitive touch screen then?

Why even have multi touch or an OS that's touch aware.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
What I hate is that it's been in no ones hands and it's a piece of shit. And that coming from people you have never used Apple product or ever will.
ding ding ding. winner.

I dont care who uses what. I dont bash people because they choose to use windows or own some other make of cellphone. I could care less.

But the blind hate. Its fucking retarded and worse than any fanboi-ism I could ever display.

But I'm the nut because I have faith in a product and can see potential.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

That's the problem, if they know so much, start a company and make what they want. If you don't like this so be it and move on, don't keep fucking harping on it. This with everybody on just about everything fanboi or hater fnabois.
the internet is not a good place for people who get so angry about criticism to be.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 PM
The Third Ball

keep catering your argument so it fits the context.

You've been hating on it pure and simple and youve always been one of the most vocal apple haters on here.
Senior Moderator

ding ding ding. winner.

I dont care who uses what. I dont bash people because they choose to use windows or own some other make of cellphone. I could care less.

But the blind hate. Its fucking retarded and worse than any fanboi-ism I could ever display.

But I'm the nut because I have faith in a product and can see potential.
if nobody should say anything about a product that hasn't come out yet until they have tried it for themselves, this would be a pretty boring thread.
Matt

No ones calling it a piece of shit. We're just being critical of $600 device hyped to be something it wasn't. GOD FORBID some of us are critical of it instead of standing in line blindly buying the new ifad. It has its niche, thousands of people will buy it. and apple will have something else in a year. Some people are pushing it to be the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 PM
nnInn

the internet is not a good place for people who get so angry about criticism to be.
It's not that, it's the consent harping about it. It's about using every waking moment to make sure people know how you feel about it. It fucking ridiculous.
The Third Ball

The internet is not a good place to be for people who get so angry at criticism.

Speak fucking English.
Senior Moderator

It's not that, it's the consent harping about it. It's about using every waking moment to make sure people know how you feel about it. It fucking ridiculous.
yep, that's the internet.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

The internet is not a good place to be for people who get so angry at criticism.

Speak fucking English.
uh, that's a horrible sentence too. (to be for?)

lmao
Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
No ones calling it a piece of shit. We're just being critical of $600 device hyped to be something it wasn't. GOD FORBID some of us are critical of it instead of standing in line blindly buying the new ifad. It has its niche, thousands of people will buy it. and apple will have something else in a year. Some people are pushing it to be the coolest thing since sliced bread.
You prove it again right, you keep saying ifad. You take your pot shots and run.

And best of all, most of you people are absolute haters over the MARKETING! The fucking marketing of all things.

Where is the thread bashing and criticizing all the BS marketing thats goes along with all your beloved products? There isnt one because no one gives a flying fuck.

Lets all hate on a company trying to sell their product, god forbid!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:43 PM
The Third Ball

uh, that's a horrible sentence too. (to be for?)

lmao
Nothing wrong with the sentence. Youre a fucking moron.

Quick Reply: Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread