Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Apple sees a downside to it, most of the problems that Apple has with their OS is because of flash. I think it was on ARS website about this, but I'm not trying to find it.
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
absolute memory hog, at least in regards to how it runs on a mac. slows down your system. Can crash your system because of its run requirements (even miz posted in another thread flash was crashing his broswer.)

All a lot of that translates to quicker drain your battery. And, yes, sadly the technology and cost of batteries required to REALLY run any of this still isnt there. Otherwise I bet the money the ipad would be less than a .5 inch thick and way less than 1.5lbs.
I see.... didn't think there was an issue with the OS. I just figured most of the games/videos I play/watch and some of the music I listen to uses a Flash player. Ah well.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,782 Likes on 13,971 Posts
Dave...disagree. Flash is a commonly used app for the Internet. Sure, it's not perfect but it is used in some of the biggest sites out there (i.e. Youtube) to stream videos and so on...

I'm not talking about some niche product...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,267 Likes on 5,222 Posts
yeah, its coming back to me now. my sister has an imac and her kids get soooo mad when they cant play games on the Nickelodeon site on it. its Adobe's fault, clearly.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Riiight. Cause thats how ALL companies work, right?

"Here, here is flash but it might make your phone run REALLY slow and drain your battery really fast...user beware."

"OK, i agree"

1 week later

"Man, this iphone sucks, it runs so slow and my battery dies in 30 mins...I'm going to post all over the internet how much the iphone sucks"

Maybe, but how many people are complaining about seeing a blue lego instead of content....

I can't beat Apple on this too much because Android which touts to do things the Iphone can't also doesn't do Flash (well, at least I can't play the Scrabble game).

If Flash is pure evil, then hopefully it will be replaced as more and more mobile web / video devices come around.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Good grief, Flash is installed on 98% of all internet-going devices according to Adobe...and it is the format for most videos. How is this a prudent thing by Apple to purposely nix Flash...?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,853 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
yeah, its coming back to me now. my sister has an imac and her kids get soooo mad when they cant play games on the Nickelodeon site on it. its Adobe's fault, clearly.
No one is pointing fingers at Adobe you fucking retard.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Go Giants

Well, Android is supposed to get a Flash player soon accord to Google articles...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Riiight. Cause thats how ALL companies work, right?

"Here, here is flash but it might make your phone run REALLY slow and drain your battery really fast...user beware."

"OK, i agree"

1 week later

"Man, this iphone sucks, it runs so slow and my battery dies in 30 mins...I'm going to post all over the internet how much the iphone sucks"
And one more thing, is that the consumer's fault or Apple's...?

Creating a device that stinks on battery life because a software used by the majority of Internet sites requires it...?
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Good grief, Flash is installed on 98% of all internet-going devices according to Adobe...and it is the format for most videos. How is this a prudent thing by Apple to purposely nix Flash...?
Because what you arent getting is HOW Flash is employed on a mac's OS.

So, you can disagree, respectfully. but its the same lack of knowledge thats got everyone else panties in a bunch as well.
Go Giants

Does the Iphone have an app that will help you develop people skills?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:35 PM

If my 3GS had Flash I'd be on it even more than I am usually. Probably a half an hour more average per day from being on Newgrounds
Old 02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Dave, you've been asked nicely before by srika, I believe, to keep it civil...Please consider this a polite warning on my part, okay?

Don't take the arguments personally.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM

can't we all be friends :gheyhug:
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Does the Iphone have an app that will help you develop people skills?
Only if they have app to stop your "witty" two word remarks in damn near every thread.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Go Giants

Because what you arent getting is HOW Flash is employed on a mac's OS.

So, you can disagree, respectfully. but its the same lack of knowledge thats got everyone else panties in a bunch as well.
Flash works the same on my Mac as it does on Window...And for what its worth I can't think of a time where flash has messed up my computer (Mac or Windows)....

I know for sure that the Mac OS can handle flash...And in some cases better then on Windows...

I can do some battery tests, one watching a flash video on Hulu and the other watching an Itunes movie...My guess is that my MBP won't see much of a difference in battery life...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

clearly
Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
The Third Ball

Dave, you've been asked nicely before by srika, I believe, to keep it civil...Please consider this a polite warning on my part, okay?

Don't take the arguments personally.
I dont take the argument personally. I take that fucktard personally. The guy is a halfwit. And his flip flopping half assed remarks and often baseless sarcastic replies (such as baggin on adobe....when no one is baggin on adobe) is about as useless as he is.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Go Giants

Oh well, fun of discussion sucked away...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

sorry, I mispoke. it's Nickelodeon's fault.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
The Third Ball

Right...because about 2 minutes ago you didn't just to make a quip on my internet people skills...

I currently have no issue with flash either. I also have 2 new computers with a lot of memory.

Far as I know, Adobe Flash is a complete resource hog. Like almost any Adobe program is relies heavily on RAM. That can bog a system down greatly. And where you don't really need to worry about this on a desktop or laptop if you are a running a good set up...you'd certainly need to worry about it with a smaller device such as a phone.

Newer formats, such as html5, run in the browser, off the browser without eating into additional resources.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

From Wallstreet Journal...

Apple Inc. and Adobe Systems Inc. used to be cozy partners, but they have become increasingly estranged since the computer maker unveiled its iPad tablet late last month.

While Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs announced that the iPad will revolutionize Web surfing, the device won't support Adobe's ubiquitous Flash video technology. In the wake of that disclosure, Adobe's share price has declined 3%.

The Flash announcement signaled a break from the mainstream since the Adobe video software is among the most widely used on the Web. The Flash player is installed on about 98% of Internet-connected computers, according to Adobe, and it is used for more than 75% of all videos on the Web and 90% of interactive advertisements.

But in an internal meeting late last month, Mr. Jobs told employees that Flash was "buggy" and blamed the majority of Mac computer crashes on problems with the plug-in software.

Adobe, meanwhile, has fought back with blog posts calling attention to Apple's omission of Flash and questioning how good a Web surfing experience the iPad will provide without it.

Adobe also says that it has developed a version of Flash that can run on the iPad. The only remaining hurdle is that "it requires Apple's cooperation to get on the device," says Kevin Lynch, Adobe's chief technology officer. "We're ready to go."

But Apple is instead throwing its weight behind an emerging rival to Flash.

The sparring over the iPad brings to a head simmering tensions between Apple and Adobe. While the two companies are longtime partners, with Adobe supplying publishing software to Apple's Macintosh computers, Apple has increasingly frozen out Adobe's video software.

Several years back, Apple said it wouldn't allow Flash on its iPhone. Mr. Jobs attributed that exclusion to Flash's inability to run efficiently on a device with less processing power than a PC. Adobe acknowledged the criticism and for more than a year said it was working to fix the problem.

Since then, Adobe has developed a version of Flash capable of running on smart phones, and every major manufacturer but Apple has embraced it.

Not being on the iPhone and iPad could cost Adobe some growth opportunities. And Adobe could be in trouble if customers abandon Flash for the Apple-backed standard, which is called HTML5. Adobe doesn't break out the revenue that comes from Flash, but it says the software is one of its most important assets.

Nonetheless, some analysts say Wall Street is blowing the issue out of proportion because there is no current financial hit to Adobe for not being on the iPad and the threat from HTML5 is a long way off.

"Wall Street seems to be getting confused by this," says Brent Thill, an analyst at UBS Securities.

When Apple introduced the iPad at an elaborate event last month, the absence of Flash was quickly apparent once media members had a chance to play with the device. Web sites that typically display Flash videos and interactive graphics instead had large holes on them. And iPad won't be able to play videos from sites like Hulu, the popular TV and movie site partly owned by News Corp., publisher of The Wall Street Journal.

Apple's bet is that Flash is an outdated technology and that Web browsers will eventually be able to play video without making such outside software necessary. Mr. Jobs said Apple will support Web sites that use the emerging HTML5 standard, which is being developed by a consortium that includes Apple and Google Inc.

But HTML5 is still being developed, and the technology isn't widely used, Web developers say. "We'll develop for the iPad when there's an install base that matters, and right now for our clients, there isn't one," says Steve Jackson, chief executive of Smashing Ideas Inc., which develops games and Web sites for Walt Disney Co. and Starbucks Corp. among others.

Mr. Jackson says that Flash is the standard for immersive Web design and that this won't change any time soon. To make sites and games available on the iPad, he says, he'll have to get his team to build a separate version specifically for the Apple device. While that's possible, he adds, it will take extra time and money.

Critics note that Apple's decision not to support Flash allows the company to keep control over application development for the iPad and iPhone within its App Store, at least for the moment. That's because developers can't build Web-based applications for its devices.

Historically, Apple has tended to stick to its guns. Ten years ago, it made the controversial decision to drop floppy discs from its iMac. The move was widely criticized at the time but later proved prescient.

Still, analysts say the decision not to support Flash is generating more controversy than Apple may have anticipated at a time when the company is trying to create excitement for a product that is supposed to showcase graphics and media.

"The problem is that you are asking the world to go rebuild everything on a technology that isn't really proven yet," says Scott Stanfield, CEO of Vertigo Software Inc., which developed the video Web site for the Olympics among other projects.

Mr. Stanfield says he'll buy an iPad as soon as it becomes available. But he doesn't believe it will be the Internet-surfing hit that Mr. Jobs has proclaimed. "You can't tout yourself as the world's best Web experience when you are walling off half of it [by excluding] technologies like Flash," he says.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

I dont take the argument personally. I take that fucktard personally. The guy is a halfwit. And his flip flopping half assed remarks and often baseless sarcastic replies (such as baggin on adobe....when no one is baggin on adobe) is about as useless as he is.
Unacceptable, man...sorry. If you cannot keep the name-calling and attacks down, my hands will be tied.

srika is not attacking you...Sure, his comments are sarcastic but they are in no way derogatory or personal. And at the end of the day, he's a moderator to boot, too.

Alrighty...?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
The Third Ball

From Wallstreet Journal...
I can agree with what that article is saying. On BOTH sides of the argument.

I will say that Steve Jackson better wake up...he must have forgotten that Jobs sits on the BoD of Disney and Apple has deals with Starbucks. He'll either be forced to get with the program Jobs wants or another company will gladly be handed that account.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:03 PM
The Third Ball

Unacceptable, man...sorry. If you cannot keep the name-calling and attacks down, my hands will be tied.

srika is not attacking you...Sure, his comments are sarcastic but they are in no way derogatory or personal. And at the end of the day, he's a moderator to boot, too.

Alrighty...?
Whatever...he is a shitty moderator to boot. He basically stated he won't do dick in his provided sub forum.

I'm done with him.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

hope you're enjoying yourself, Sarlacc
Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by srika
hope you're enjoying yourself, Sarlacc
I always do.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Whatever...he is a shitty moderator to boot. He basically stated he won't do dick in his provided sub forum.
I'm gonna clarify this since you got the wrong message somewhere. I never said I "won't do dick". I said generally, the users in that forum take care of themselves. Even if some squabbles arise, users will generally handle it. And that's how it should be. Mods only step in if things get out of hand. (Kind of like what you're doing in here, btw.) Each forum area has its own characteristics, some need more / regular moderating, some don't. That's one of the forums that doesn't. You are putting words in my mouth. Please stop.

oh and just for the record, I said this to you when I TOOK THIS OFFLINE.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM
The Third Ball

Lets get this back on track with the ipad.

I dont care what you have to say, about anything.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

I dont care what you have to say, about anything.
Really? It seems to me that you've taken pretty much everything I've said in here personally. When, as I said before, I have only been participating in the discussion, just as others have. I don't know what it is, but you seem to have some pre-existing beef with me. And I think that's why, you are taking things so personally.

I'm ready (and have been ready) to only talk about the ipad in here.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
The Third Ball

T3 reports that Microsoft Senior Product Manager Mike Tedesco revealed during the Office for Mac 2011 preview event at Macworld that the company is "looking at" the possibility of bringing its Office productivity suite to Apple's iPad tablet device.
"Yeah, it's something that we're looking at," said Microsoft's Mike Tedesco, who is the Senior Product Manager for WindowsBU. "Obviously the announcement (of the iPad) is really fresh and there's nothing to announce or nothing that I can talk to you about today.

As the report notes, the release of an Office suite for the iPad would bring a significant credibility boost to the device, particularly in the eyes of business users with a critical need for such productivity software. For its part, Apple featured iPad versions of its iWork applications at the iPad media event last month, and will be offering Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for the iPad through the App Store at $9.99 per application.

Tedesco's comments come soon after Microsoft founder Bill Gates downplayed the significance of the iPad, noting that "there's nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.'"
mhm...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
my laptop has that too.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
my laptop has that too.
Fuckin hater you fucktard.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
The Third Ball

For the record. I installed "Click to Flash" on my laptop...I've noticed significant improvements to the way my browser performs and acts. No more unexpected quits. And I choose when I want to see the flash content. Which includes the million and one banner ads on this site among others.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
The Third Ball

Fuckin hater you fucktard.
Oh wow, another little cute one liner from wsklar. It never gets old!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Go Giants

Oh wow, another little cute one liner from wsklar. It never gets old!
I'm typing on my Flashless Iphone. One liners are all I can punch out.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
The Third Ball

I'm typing on my Flashless Iphone. One liners are all I can punch out.
You should sell your iphone and stick to rubbing one out instead.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Go Giants

You should sell your iphone and stick to rubbing one out instead.
So true. Youporn requires flash.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,986 Posts
Spankwire doesn't
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
For the record. I installed "Click to Flash" on my laptop...I've noticed significant improvements to the way my browser performs and acts. No more unexpected quits. And I choose when I want to see the flash content. Which includes the million and one banner ads on this site among others.
On my older desktop (5yrs old), flash would lock me system up like crazy.

Another thing is WHY would Apple make a product that would let you use flash online when it competes with what they sell, games and movies?

Quick Reply: Apple: iPad News and Discussion Thread