Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,453 Likes on 3,049 Posts

Last edited by 97BlackAckCL; 12-11-2012 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dom (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Yesterday was Gary's 20 year anniversary!!!

Here's to 20 more!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

He makes how much a year!??
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
^^ about $8 million too much.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
:sigh:
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
^^ about $8 million too much.
The worst commissioner in all of pro sports earns $8M a year?!?

WTFBBQ. What does he have to his name? A handful of lockouts and terrible expansions? And that is worth $8M...?!? Fark, I'm in the wrong business.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Soo, lets all get our hopes up? Shortened season starting January 2 on the way or bullshit rumors via the interwebs?

http://nesn.com/2012/12/report-nhl-l...ockout-to-end/

I'm gonna go ahead and get my hopes up, shortened season is gay but some hockey is better than no hockey.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Bullshit rumors, the mediators couldn't even get the 2 sides in a room together...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Bullshit rumors, the mediators couldn't even get the 2 sides in a room together...

There is no season this season. Fehr and Bettman have burned all the bridges for both sides. Good job, boys!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I blame moog for everything... EVERYTHING....
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
The NHL would be better off is something random just happened to Bettman. I normally don't wish harm on a person but for him I could make an exception.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
The worst commissioner in all of pro sports earns $8M a year?!?

WTFBBQ. What does he have to his name? A handful of lockouts and terrible expansions? And that is worth $8M...?!? Fark, I'm in the wrong business.
With all the money they're raking in from owning and operating that stellar Phoenix franchise, that they can't seem to give away for fawking freeit's a bargain.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Sportscentre year in review: The kings' stanley cup run

Leading up to SportsCentre's Year In Review on Christmas Eve, TSN and TSN.ca look back at each of the Top 10 stories of 2012. And TSN's reporters and analysts who covered the events as they happened offer their personal reflections on the stories.

Today, the NHL on TSN's James Duthie recaps the Los Angeles Kings and their remarkable Stanley Cup run.

I tend to remember the Stanley Cup Final for the stuff that happens away from the ice.

Like the night in L.A. last June we went to a club after Game 3 and the DJ was Reggie Bush (he was pretty good too, though my DJ evaluation ability is somewhat stunted by the fact I never go out).

Or riding up a crowded elevator at Game 5 in New Jersey with Emmanuel Lewis and hearing two fellow riders giggle-whisper, "What'choo talkin' bout Willis?" - leaving me wondering how many times a day poor Webster has to say, "No you freakin' idiots that was Gary Colem…ahhh…never mind."

Or when Dustin Penner, just minutes after winning the Cup, and still in full champagne-drenched uniform, passed by me outside his dressing room and said, "Hey, I read your book!" Not even a compliment technically, but considering the timing, I felt honoured.

That's what happens covering the playoffs when you are neutral. Who wins doesn't really matter. You just root for good games, short flights (took the loss on that one), and amusing former child-actor sightings.

But I will remember the L.A, Kings of 2012 - The Best Eighth Seed Ever.

We prefer the easy headline in this business. You know, the uncomplicated Disney After School Special endings (Yeah, I know they haven't aired Disney After School Specials in 15 years, but their over-the-top-extra-cheese earnestness still haunt my soul). So when I Googled 'L.A. Kings Cinderella,' I got 'About 1,080,000 results (0.27 seconds).'

"L.A. KINGS COMPLETE CINDERELLA RUN" (Bleacher Report)

"L.A. KINGS SKATING TO CINDERELLA-STORY FINISH" (Vanhockey.com)

"CINDERELLA KINGS ON VERGE OF STANLEY CUP" (CNN)

On the surface, fair enough. After all, they were the lowest seed in the Western Conference, right? They stumbled and bumbled their way through most of the season before figuring things out just in time to sneak in. And hey, they did beat the defending Western Conference Champion Canucks and the top-seeded St. Louis Blues in the first two rounds. The stat geeks would argue that basically adds up to 8 over 1 (squared), and thus must be Cinderella-worthy, right?

Phooey. Hong-Kong Phooey.

These Kings were the biggest, most bad assed faux-Cinderellas in the history of Cinderellaism (I tend to make up a lot of words, just so we're clear in advance).

(Now, to be fair, that Google search also turned up some sites and columns that included key words "NOT A" before "CINDERELLA" in their descriptions of the Kings, so this column isn't exactly revolutionary thinking. But hey, it's a year-end recap, not Plato's Republic. So back off. )

The age of the upset is over in hockey. The margins between top and bottom seeds have never been smaller. An eighth seed (Edmonton) went to the Stanley Cup Final in the first year of post-lockout hockey (remember when we used that term as if there wouldn't be another one for 20 or 30 years? What do we say when this latest farce is over, 'post-latest-lockout' hockey?) The bottom three seeds in the East all won their first-round series in 2010, with the seventh-seeded Flyers eventually beating the eighth-seeded Canadiens in the conference final. And the following year, the eighth-seeded Habs came within an overtime goal of knocking off the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Bruins.

There is a reason a smelly monkey (you have no idea) spinning a wheel beat our TSN experts half the time in her playoff predictions. Almost every 1 vs. 8 or 2 vs. 7 series is a crapshoot in today's NHL (which I guess is now yesterday's NHL…dang, this is confusing). And none of the low seeds above had a lineup built for a Cup run like the 2012 Kings.

One of the conference favourites in October, most of L.A.'s season was a mess of mediocrity.

Win one, lose one, see a shot of Beckham in the crowd.

Win one, lose one, see a shot of Alyssa Milano in the crowd (looking pretty spectacular, by the way).

Win one, lose one, lather, rinse, repeat. And so it went.
That kind of season would be cause for celebration in say, Columbus. But it got coach Terry Murray fired in December. And if things didn't turn around, general manager Dean Lombardi would soon be joining him.

Lombardi's decision to bring in Darryl Sutter brought head scratches in some places and guffaws in others. How could The Jolly Rancher and his plaid farmboy shirts work in the land of botoxed butts (seriously, they do…I read it in a copy of In Touch) and fake everythings?

And at first, it didn't. The Kings were in that dead zone just out of a playoff spot with a month left in the season. The low point came on a Friday night in early March in Detroit. The Red Wings, banged up and skating a bunch of call-ups from Grand Rapids, didn't get a shot until midway through each of the first two periods. They would have only 15 in the game (In retrospect, the Kings were already showing signs of the shutdown force they would soon become). But Detroit scored twice in the last four minutes to win 4-3.

I later asked a bunch of L.A. players to pinpoint when their turnaround started and several mentioned the aftermath of that loss in Detroit. It was a "fix it or we're finished" moment. They fixed it.

Two days after the loss, they won in a shootout in Chicago - the first of six wins in a row and the heart of a 9-3-2 run that didn't just get them into the playoffs…it got them in believing they could go deep.

But deep is one thing. Demolition is another. C'mon - a 16-4 playoff run? Four straight 3-0 series leads? A 10-1 record on the road? No use trying to explain that degree of dominance. Sometimes, after countless years when things go mostly wrong - 45 of them in all in LA - everything just goes right. That's what happened to the Kings in the spring of 2012.

Sutter, as it turned out, was the perfect man for the job. Before games, he would get into a low crouch, one hand on each knee, so he could look his players right in the eye. I've seen that look before, after I asked a question he didn't like at the NHL Draft. I thought my face was going to melt off. Easy to see how his message got through loud and clear to his players.

L.A.'s most beloved champion coaches were Slick (Pat Riley) and Zen (Phil Jackson). Sutter is a whole lot of neither.

TSN reporter after playoff loss: "What was the problem in the offensive zone tonight?"

Sutter: "Not enough shots."

Reporter: "Okay, how specifically can you rectify that?"

Sutter: "Shoot more."

That doesn't mean he isn't a great strategist. Sutter installed an aggressive forecheck that capitalized on the Kings size up front. Injuries late in the season led to the call-ups of Jordan Nolan and Dwight King, who would both be physical forces during the run.

Meanwhile, Dean Lombardi traded for Jeff Carter - who wasn't THE difference-maker some figured he would be, but was another splendid piece in a suddenly perfect puzzle. Perhaps Lombardi's best deadline move was not trading captain Dustin Brown after briefly pondering it. Brown scored a hat trick in his next game, and went on a spring run worthy of a Conn Smythe Trophy - if his own goalie hadn't stolen it.

Oh yeah…the goalie. That guy. Jonathan Quick didn't seem to love the spotlight. He'd often do his media scrums with his hoodie up and his eyes down. But it's hard to keep a low profile when you are virtually unbeatable for two months. The Kings were so dominant, he didn't have to be great on most nights. But he was anyway, the human exclamation point on any description of his team's performance.

They were something to behold, these Kings. I'd watch Anze Kopitar most playoff nights and think to myself, "He should be in the conversation for the best player in the league." Then I'd watch Drew Doughty and be convinced Kopitar wasn't the best player on his own team.

The Stanley Cup is supposed be the hardest trophy in the world to win. The Kings made it look as tough as winning a grade school participant ribbon (not to brag, but I have several). It was the most impressive playoff run I've ever witnessed.

At the team party at Staples after the victory (well, the first one…there were after/after/after parties that lasted for the next…oh…month or so), they didn't look like wide-eyed underdogs shocked that they'd pulled off some miracle. They just stood around smiling, smoking fat cigars, mingling with family members, team officials, and Jerry Bruckheimers, looking like they'd done this a dozen times before.

There was no Cinderella to be found here. No prince either. Just Kings being kings and looking every bit the part.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411636
Old 12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Going to court.

The NHL lockout is heading to court.

After reports emerged Friday that the NHL Players' Association could be seeking to declare a disclaimer of interest, the NHL filed a class-action lawsuit in federal court in New York to declare the lockout legal.

According to Canadian TV station TSN, the union's executive board voted Thursday night to give players a vote on whether they should authorize the board to choose to proceed on a disclaimer of interest.

A disclaimer would allow the union to essentially dissolve, freeing players to pursue antitrust lawsuits against the league in a bid to end the lockout, which was in its 90th day on Friday.

Both the NBA and NFL player association took moves to dissolve their union during their recent labor disputes. It led to a quick resolution in the NBA case, though the NFL case ended up in court.

In addition to the class-action suit, the NHL also filed an unfair labor practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board alleging that by threatening to disclaim interest, "the NHLPA has engaged in an unlawful subversion of the collective bargaining process and conduct that constitutes bad faith bargaining under the National Labor Relations Act."

Commissioner Gary Bettman had said the board of governors was briefed last week in New York about the possibility of such a union move.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ckout/1770529/
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,307 Posts
It just keeps getting worse.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...emptive-strike

NHL lawsuit is a pre-emptive strike

It wasn’t an entirely unexpected legal move, but it’s interesting nonetheless. Examining the lawsuit filed Friday by the NHL answers some of the questions raised during decertification speculation in recent weeks. The lawsuit seeks a declaration that the lockout does not violate antitrust laws, but that’s just the beginning.

Perhaps most interesting is a request made by the NHL that says if the judgment rules that a disclaimer of interest or decertification by the NHLPA is ultimately found to be valid, then all standard player contracts signed under the previous CBA would be void and unenforceable.

“In the absence of a valid CBA or collective bargaining relationship, the provisions of the NHL SPCs will no longer have any force of effect,” the lawsuit reads.

So, basically, everybody becomes a free agent in that scenario. Sure, it might lead to two or three years of court fights but the idea is a wild one to consider.

“I’m pretty sure the Edmonton Oilers won’t like that scenario, or any team with good young players,” said one NHL source. “Steven Stamkos might get $20 million [a season] from the Toronto Maple Leafs.”

Yes, this is the start of the nuclear option.

The move is a pre-emptive strike that argues that any move toward decertification isn’t a permanent dissolving of the union but instead a tactic designed “only to misuse the antitrust laws in an effort to secure more favorable collective terms and conditions of employment and deny the NHL its right to engage in a lawful lockout."

On Friday, colleague Pierre LeBrun reported that the union’s executive board has been cleared to gauge its membership with a disclaimer of interest vote. The lawsuit says that vote is to be taken over the next four days.

Many players and union leadership have been careful in saying decertification is an option of last resort. Still, the lawsuit argues that “many Union members have publicly asserted that they intend to decertify the Union.”

Among the players the league singled out as mentioning decertification as a “strategy” were Ryan Miller, Brad Richards, Ray Whitney, Shawn Thornton, Cory Schneider, Matt Stajan, Dan “Clearly” [sic; should be Dan Cleary], Chris Campoli, Jonathan Toews, Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, George Parros and Andrew Ladd.

The lawsuit cites everything from local radio and newspaper interviews to comments from player Twitter accounts. It’s clear that the NHL has been watching.

Other points of interest in the lawsuit:

-- According to the lawsuit, the NHL has produced more than 200,000 pages of NHL and team financial information to the NHLPA, “documents relating to officiating records and broadcast contracts, and other highly confidential and proprietary information of the League.”

-- In case you lost track, the lawsuit breaks down all the CBA offers made between both sides: “... the NHL made oral and/or written proposals on July 13, July 25, July 31, August 28, October 16 and November 8 and the NHLPA made oral and/or written proposals on August 14, August 23, August 28, September 12, October 18, November 7 and November 21."

-- What monopoly? The league argues that professional hockey leagues in Russia, Sweden, Switzerland and other European countries are “viable substitutes for the NHL, as evidenced by the fact that NHL players routinely elect to play in a European league instead of in the NHL.” The league points out that there are currently more than 100 NHL players in Europe and that 400 players played in Europe during the last lockout. “For this reason, the impact of the NHL lockout on the market for the services of professional hockey players is minimal.”
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

You thought it was going to get better?!??
Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't expect a Hiroshima.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I blame moog for everything... EVERYTHING....
I stand by my statement
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

I really wish for Xmas, that the NHL and the idiots in the NHL would just do us all a great favor: Can the season. Please.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Seriously pathetic that things like this can't be agreed on.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

at any "fan" who is surprised by how this is all going down.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Nhl announces cancellation of games through jan. 14

NEW YORK, N.Y. - The NHL is believed to be one step away from calling off another season.

The league has cancelled games through Jan. 14, bringing the total number wiped away by the lockout to 625.

That takes the NHL to the point where it must have a new collective bargaining agreement in place to salvage a 48-game schedule and playoffs that conclude by the end of June, something commissioner Gary Bettman has been adamant about.

The league and NHL Players' Association haven't met since last week.

On Wednesday night, NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said the union was willing to meet at any point but is waiting for the owners to resume talks.

In 2004-05, the NHL became the first professional sports league in North America to cancel an entire season because of a labour dispute.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412031

Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I really wish for Xmas, that the NHL and the idiots in the NHL would just do us all a great favor: Can the season. Please.

I agree.

At this point even if there was a "season" it would suck.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

There is no point, just cancel the damn thing and get on with it
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

NHL lockout update: NHLPA votes to give executive board authority to file disclaimer of interest

Despite the fact that it's the holiday season, there are no surprises being unwrapped this week.

Yesterday, the NHL canceled games through Jan. 14, a date that was already pegged as the basic deadline for a season to start.

Today, it's more of the same. The Detroit Free Press' Helene St. James said the vote to give authority to the executive board to decide on filing a disclaimer of interest passed "overwhelmingly."

But it doesn't mean anything of note just yet. What it does is start another clock for the union -- they'll decide whether to move ahead with breaking up the union by Jan. 2, according to a TSN report.

If the NHLPA decides to go that route, NHL deputy commissioner told The Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch, "It changes the dynamic pretty significantly and, quite frankly, will have to change the focus short-term to a more adversarial focus than a bargaining focus. That can't be helpful to the process in such a short time frame."

With no meetings scheduled in the near future, that's not helpful either. As we've said this past week, this move simply sets up another road these negotiations can take, a tactic used by other players' unions in recent years to jump-start a resolution.

Still, after all this wrangling, Daly still believed something can get done before the season is lost for good. "I don't understand to a large extent why we're where we're at," he told Garrioch. "I still think at the end of the day we should be able to get deal."
http://www.nj.com/rangers/index.ssf/...lpa_votes.html
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Well, at least the players are finally as disinterested as the rest of us
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

More ...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I say bring back Chara from Prague, line up the dumbasses who can't agree on the money, including the beloved Bettman, and let Chara slap them on their asses with a stick. He can use a puck on Bettman, I'll allow it.

I don't know if I'll be purchasing season tickets anytime soon. I'm too disappointed.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Nice goal by Patrick Kane against Schneider the other day...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I just want to see NHL 24/7. I hope the NHL ceases to exist, they're already the fifth wheel, might as well close shop while nobody gives a shit.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,429 Posts
anyone watching the World Junior's Championship? I hate to say this, but the Canadians seems to be playing pretty dirty
Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by is300eater
anyone watching the World Junior's Championship? I hate to say this, but the Canadians seems to be playing pretty dirty
Catching bits and pieces. Just know one guy got suspended.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by is300eater
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

5-1 :usa:
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I believe it is a day of mourning for some up here.

Good to see the US catching up in terms of hockey development and etc.

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread