Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Looks like Talbot ripped Calahan's shoulder right out of the socket

Hope he's not hurt too bad
It was odd. He didn't seem to do much but Callahan was immediately hurt & Talbot stopped. I think it was a fluke & also hope it is not too bad. They need him.

0 & the answer was no, not a third solid period but they did enough.

lol
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
We had a good old fashioned "no fair! do over!" in the shoot out of the B's Devils game. Seguin scored on his attempt but someone threw something on the ice behind Hedberg so Seguin had to go back to center ice and score on him again.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
The Bruins look good. That's one tough and mean team.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Aside from the Leaves to win it all, my early picks are the Bruins and Blues in the Final.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by Yumcha
The Bruins look good. That's one tough and mean team.
The Mayor of Charlestown had a fight with Barch tonight that lasted 1:15, clear win for the Mayor but no real huge shots in.

It's nice to see our first line acting like a first line though. 2 nights in a row they came up with a crucial goal late in the game.

Last edited by black label; 01-29-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

The more I see Seguin, the more I stand by what I said that he should've been 1st overall by the dumb Oilers instead of drafting Hall.

Oh well, Edmonton's loss is Boston's gain.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

The more I see Seguin, the more I stand by what I said that he should've been 1st overall by the dumb Oilers instead of drafting Hall.

Oh well, Edmonton's loss is Boston's gain.
Meh, Seguins yesterdays news, we're all about Dougie now. Thanks dom.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
Pens are disjointed, slow and sloppy, it's painful to watch
Indeed. It was definitely painful to watch.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label

Waldorf can only dream of the same sort of grand larceny if Toronto ever trades with Sacramento.

Question is: Is Nonis as stupid as Burke?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Looks like Talbot ripped Calahan's shoulder right out of the socket

Hope he's not hurt too bad
i just saw the replay. this is crazy. stop hitting people from behind, maybe.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Rounder
i just saw the replay. this is crazy. stop hitting people from behind, maybe.
Who hit from behind?

The altercation started without a camera on them. I didn't see anyone misbehave, what link did you see?

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter-v1/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-7&id=197041&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter-v1/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-7&id=197041&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...ulder-in-scrap

I looked again and see that they go to another angle later in the clip. I don't see any hitting, just both of them protecting their teammate. Callahan pulls Talbot off whoever he was checking.

Last edited by e30cabrio; 01-30-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
there was a net scrum and cally was slapping talbot in the back of the head...and then the fight started.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I edited my first post. I saw it further into the clip.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,453 Likes on 3,049 Posts
Punching Max in the back of the head, stay classy cally
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Sure looks like a separated shoulder to me
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
I love Dougie, but I see Seguin catching fire and tearing things up soon. He's been a bit too quiet so far...
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Well, at least we now know the Rangers Organ-eye-za-shun thinks its potential female fans are dumber than a box of rocks.

A Girl's Guide to Watching the Rangers

By: Mirna Mandil

I was recently one of four females in a house packed with about 20 guys watching the game — football, I think. The men were there for the game, while I was there for the food: deep fried turkey, which quickly turned into deep frying everything in sight.

Sure, I could've sat and watched with the men, but I don't care for football, nor do I pretend to. I'm not going to fake an alpha-male-level obsession with a sport because, frankly, that just seems exhausting.

That being said, when having either guy friends, brothers, boyfriends or husbands in your life, watching games in any sport becomes unavoidable. And if you live in New York and have one of the aforementioned male figures in your life, then chances are you can't avoid their obsession with the Rangers. The fact that every single one of the guys watching this football game was wearing a Rangers jersey is a true testament to the loyalty of a Rangers fan. It's not just a phase. It's not just an obsession. It's a Rangers lifestyle.

News of the NHL lockout's end caused as much excitement in the male world as a 70 percent off sale does in a woman's. If you're completely oblivious to what the end of the lockout means, think of it as the premiere of the newest season of "Girls" being delayed by months, and then suddenly, it's announced that it will be coming back but with a lot fewer episodes to make up for lost time.

Have said all that, this article is an attempt to help you at least understand their obsession, enthusiasm and passion, and help you hold your own during game nights.

They're EXPECTING You To Ask Questions

...Just know WHEN to do it.

Carl Hagelin has the puck. The boys are all standing and screaming and you're going to yell 'what's happening!?"

Nope.

You need to sense the tension at certain points in the game and let them do their jumping, screaming and cheering thing. You can tell if something huge has happened by their reaction, and if you're absolutely lost, wait for the replay. There's always a replay after a major play.

Still confused? Wait until a penalty or other whistle to ask. The clock stopped so there's a pause in the game, and at this level you won't need to know why a penalty was called anyway (unless there's a fight, which is pretty self-explanatory). Everything else? Not important in your world ... yet.

Get To Know The RANGERS

I'm not asking you to memorize a yearbook, but after watching a game or two, last names will start to sound familiar: Staal, Callahan, Del Zotto. You'll get the idea. The Rangers' roster is easily available online, and even though knowing a last name won't do much in terms of understanding the game, it will build up your connection when watching future games. You'll be more attuned to a game when you hear a name you recognize.

Get To Know Goalie Henrik Lundqvist

If New York were to have a new face on every quarter, it would be his. He's broken NHL records. His nickname is "The King." He played "Sweet Child O' Mine" on guitar during a recent episode of "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon." Don't you want him to do well? Don't you want to watch when he's on the ice? My point exactly.

Congratulations

You've officially graduated level one of what to expect when Ranger fans are expecting. Before I wrote this article, I gave all the guys I spoke with the option of saying, "I don't want her watching the game with me. It's my sport, leave it alone."

Not a single one of them took it.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but ask quesions they'll enjoy answering. Things like who their favorite player is, or who their biggest rival is. If you have a couple hours of free time, go ahead and ask about the famous Potvin chant. You'll certainly be in for a great story.

If you feel too forced and uninterested, at least know the Rangers' schedule so you can schedule a girl's night for those times. Oh, and one last thing: don't give the guys and grief for their playoff beards.

Google it. You'll thank me later.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ckey-fans.html

You stay classy, Rangers!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

While that guide by the NYR is wrong, I think it would be appropriate to give it to the general US population?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Rangers Injury Update: Captain Ryan Callahan has a shoulder subluxation and will miss 10-14 days of action.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Kings twitter feed comments on the stupid of the Rangers:

LA Kings ‏@LAKings
If only there was some sort of guide so the women watching this @NYRangers @MapleLeafs game with us could understand it
Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Rangers get lucky, Ryan Callahan to miss only 10-14 days

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ulder/1877689/

The New York Rangers dodged a major injury scare as Ryan Callahan's MRI on Wednesday afternoon revealed just a shoulder subluxation. The heart and soul captain will be out for 10 to 14 days, according to the team.

Callahan was hurt in a third-period tussle with Philadelphia Flyers forward Max Talbot on Tuesday night. Callahan, who scored the winner the Rangers' 2-1 victory, skated to the locker room immediately, hunched over and wincing in pain. The initial fear was that he separated his shoulder, an injury that could have cost him the season.

"We were holding each other up and his shoulder popped out or something," Talbot told NHL.com. "It was unfortunate. I let him go. I kind of felt it, but then I saw his face as well."

The Rangers might have star power up front -- with Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik and Brad Richards -- and one of the game's best between the pipes in Henrik Lundqvist, but Callahan is the team's "heartbeat," someone who does it all on the ice and leaves it all on the line while doing so.

The second-line forward plays on the top special-teams units and is a relentless forechecker and excellent shot-blocker.

"I don't think you fill his role," coach John Tortorella said after practice on Wednesday. "I felt that in the third period last night when we were protecting the lead, that's a very big part of his game. So it comes through the team, through the team concept. Every team goes through the injuries, and just playing that much better in the situations that he's been put in through his career, it needs to be done as a group.

Callahan recorded a career-high 29 goals and 54 points last season, and his 88 blocked shots ranked third among forwards, while his 271 hits ranked fifth. He had two goals so far in this lockout-shortened campaign. The Rangers are 3-3-0.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Well, at least we now know the Rangers Organ-eye-za-shun thinks its potential female fans are dumber than a box of rocks.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ckey-fans.html

You stay classy, Rangers!!!
When I moved to Santa Monica in 1976 at 13, I was shocked by the amount of anti N.Y. material there was in the L.A. Times.

Glad to see L.A. has grown up from it's anti N.Y. obsession.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by savage
I love Dougie, but I see Seguin catching fire and tearing things up soon. He's been a bit too quiet so far...
Well he did have to score 2x in the shootout last night to get credit for 1 shootout goal...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Rangers got lucky with Calahan.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes if that is all he is out for.

Sources: Coyotes' sale in question

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/88...ording-sources

Former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison, the main suitor for the Phoenix Coyotes for the past year, cannot produce the capital needed to purchase the team from the NHL and as a result a Jan. 31 deadline to maintain a critical lease agreement with the City of Glendale will pass without a deal being completed, multiple sources have told ESPN.com.

A separate group of investors is prepared to step into the void created by Jamison's failure to produce the money he repeatedly insisted he would deliver to complete the deal, but the question is whether Glendale officials will agree to extend the lease agreement to a new group given that it was Jamison who negotiated the terms of the highly contentious lease deal.

The NHL has owned the team for almost four years and, barring the emergence of a new suitor willing to start from scratch with the City of Glendale on a lease if things fall apart this week, it would seem inevitable the league will begin the process of relocation.

It's believed that Mayor Jerry Weiers, who took office after the lease agreement was passed by the previous council, would be agreeable to discussing keeping the team in Glendale with this new group, although it's believed he will want to rework the deal to make it more beneficial for the city.

Under the current lease agreement, the team's owners would receive some $308 million over the life of the 20-year deal to manage the property, an average of slightly more than $15 million annually in management fees.

It is almost certain that when Thursday's deadline passes, Jamison's role in any purchase agreement with the league or lease agreement with the City of Glendale will be at an end.

In a brief telephone conversation Tuesday, Jamison told ESPN.com there wasn't much to say, and he has told media outlets in Arizona that he still was working toward completing a deal. Attempts to reach Jamison on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Although Weiers was not available for comment, he told the Arizona Republic earlier this week that even though he was not in favor of the lease agreement arranged by Jamison, he would honor it up until Thursday's deadline.

But Weiers told the Arizona Republic he made it clear to Jamison that the city would not honor the lease deal "one second past" the midnight deadline.

The new ownership group, which, according to sources, has arranged for financing that would allow for the purchase of the team from the league at a reported price of $170 million, is hoping to discuss parameters for a new lease agreement in the next few days, perhaps as early as Thursday.

The league has established no deadlines in relation to selling the team, although it's clear a lease agreement between potential buyers and the city is integral to keeping the team in Arizona.

"It's still a work in progress, and we'll see how the week plays out," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN.com on Wednesday morning.

If this new group and the city cannot come to an agreement on a lease agreement it likely would be the final act in the long drama that has been the Coyotes' ownership sage.

It's still a work in progress and we'll see how the week plays out.
” -- NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly

The NHL has owned the team for almost four years and, barring the emergence of a new suitor willing to start from scratch with the City of Glendale on a lease if things fall apart this week, it would seem inevitable the league will begin the process of relocation.

There are a number of options for relocation, although none are clear-cut.

There are plans to build a new arena in Seattle if the proposed sale of the NBA's Sacramento Kings to a group that includes investor Chris Hansen and Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer is completed. It's believed the city and Hansen would welcome an NHL owner to share tenancy in a new building.

But the franchise's departure from California isn't guaranteed, and Ron Burkle, co-owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins, recently met with NBA commissioner David Stern about keeping the Kings in Sacramento.

The northwest city appeals to the NHL on many levels, especially given the potential loss of two large U.S. media markets in Atlanta, which lost the Thrashers to Winnipeg a year-and-a-half ago, and the Coyotes if the deal falls apart in Glendale.

There is also momentum to see a return of NHL hockey to Quebec City, where there are plans for a new NHL-style arena and an ownership group believed to be in place that would be interested in buying the Coyotes for the purposes of relocation.

And the City of Markham, Ontario, just north of Toronto, approved funds to build an NHL-style arena during a hotly contested council meeting Tuesday night.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,755 Likes on 2,536 Posts
Two shutout loses in a row. I have a terrible feeling about this season for the Avs. I know it is early but I forsee a high draft pick in our future.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

The Ranger game was boring pretty much from start to finish except when it became annoying.

They played like isht.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Jamison misses deadline to purchase Coyotes.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-deadline.html

Greg Jamison has missed his deadline to buy the Phoenix Coyotes before a lease agreement with the City of Glendale expires.

The former CEO of the San Jose Sharks had until midnight Thursday to buy the team from the NHL under the terms of the lease agreement with Glendale, but was unable to get the money or investors he needed in time to hit the deadline.

"We will not be able to complete our purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes today in time to meet our deadline with the city of Glendale," Jamison said in a statement. "However, our journey to purchase the Coyotes will continue. We realize this will require additional conversations with the city of Glendale and the NHL. We still believe we can reach an agreement that satisfies everyone. We hope negotiations with the city proceed as smoothly as possible, as everyone involved wants the Coyotes to remain in Arizona."

Jamison had emerged as the latest and arguably best chance for the Coyotes to land an owner after more than three years of being run by the league. He reached a 20-year, $308 million lease agreement with Glendale for Jobing.com Arena in the fall, creating what was believed to be a clear path to ending the Coyotes' up-and-down ownership saga.

Instead, the uncertainty with the franchise will continue with still no end in sight.

"To the Arizona's sports and hockey fans, and the City of Glendale, we appreciate your patience and diligence," Jamison said. "We wish everything was completed today as we worked extremely hard on the deal. However, we have taken significant steps to keep the Coyotes in Glendale for the long-term. I've seen first-hand the wonderful support Arizona hockey fans have provided the Coyotes and we will continue our efforts to keep the NHL in Arizona."

Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni said the city will have a statement on Jamison missing the deadline on Friday, after the NHL issues one of its own.

The latest twist in the Coyotes' search for an owner leaves open the possibility that new bidders could give Jamison competition to buy the team.

To the Coyotes players and coaches, it came as no surprise after years of watching stops and starts in the process.

"Obviously, it's a frustrating time, but we have no control over it," Coyotes goalie Mike Smith said. "It's something we can't really solve, otherwise we'd buy the team if we could. We've just got to worry about winning hockey games and playing to the best of our abilities, and hopefully it'll work itself out."

The ownership dilemma started in 2009, when former owner Jerry Moyes took the team into bankruptcy in a bid to sell to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie, who would move the franchise to Hamilton, Ontario. The NHL vehemently opposed that plan and a U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge later refused to allow the sale to go through.

With no one else stepping forward, the NHL bought the team and started running it with the intention of finding a buyer who would keep the team in Arizona. It's been a drawn-out process filled with false starts and dashed hopes.

The league thought it had an owner in place when Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer stepped forward, but his bid fell through when the conservative watchdog group Goldwater Institute inserted itself into the process and warned potential bond buyers to stay away from the Glendale offering because of a looming lawsuit.

Amid speculation that the Coyotes would return to Winnipeg, where the franchise relocated from in 1996, Jamison came forward as a potential buyer last year.

The NHL announced during last year's playoffs that it had a preliminary agreement to sell the team to Jamison and he later worked out a lease agreement with Glendale for Jobing.com Arena despite opposition from Goldwater.

Jamison's bid to buy the team cleared a big hurdle when Glendale voters in November's election upheld a 0.7 percent sales tax increase designed to help the city's finances. He also reworked the lease agreement with the city, setting a Jan. 31 deadline for Jamison to purchase the team from the NHL.

But Jamison may have been hurt by the 113-day NHL lockout and was unable to secure the finances he needed to finish off the deal in time.

And so the wait for an owner continues.

"We'll just kind of move on with what we need to do on the ice," Coyotes forward Raffi Torres said. "We're not really worried with what's going on off the ice right now." They've had plenty of practice at it by now.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by e30cabrio
The Ranger game was boring pretty much from start to finish except when it became annoying.

They played like isht.
They did play like total shit. I blame Torts, these guys have absolutely no power play. It's pathetic!

And I was hoping that someone would knock Crysby out. He is such a little bitch. Any tiny push and he makes a face like he was raped by a guy named Bubba. Fucking ballerina.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
They did play like total shit. I blame Torts, these guys have absolutely no power play. It's pathetic!

And I was hoping that someone would knock Crysby out. He is such a little bitch. Any tiny push and he makes a face like he was raped by a guy named Bubba. Fucking ballerina.
He also played very dirty, hitting Lundy in the crease and tripping Gaborik are the two incidents that come to mind.

My main complaint is their seeming inability to shoot when they should and pass when they should. Seems they almost always get that wrong.

They hit the freaking post almost as much as they shot. INFURIATING.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

They played like isht.
Wasn't boring for me... 3-0 Shutout on the almighty Rangers
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't boring for me... 3-0 Shutout on the almighty Rangers
Almighty?

And no, until the 3rd it was a boring poorly played 1-0 game.

Both teams were pathetic on giveaways, powerplays and general poor play.

I'd say it was a boring poorly played game if the result were reverse.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

And the Sharks keep on chugging. Nice start.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

So the Yotes Jamison deal is a bust.

Yet the NHL STILL wants to keep the team in Phoenix.

Fold the franchise or move them to Ontario.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

And the Sharks keep on chugging. Nice start.
...and then they will crash and burn in the playoffs like usual.

What else is new
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
He also played very dirty, hitting Lundy in the crease and tripping Gaborik are the two incidents that come to mind.

My main complaint is their seeming inability to shoot when they should and pass when they should. Seems they almost always get that wrong.

They hit the freaking post almost as much as they shot. INFURIATING.
New season, another superstar - same offensive problems.

Thank God I went to the Flyers game on Tuesday and not the Penguins game last night.....
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

It may take a few games for the Rangers to round into form.

They did lose their 3rd line to get Nash...so, there's a trickle effect.

I don't see a problem with that team in the long run with what they have up front, on D, and in goal.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Truly, the only team the Rangers should be fearful of are the Leaves.

But, that's cuz the Leaves are winning the Cup this year. Look at the overwhelming votes in their favor.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread