Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
140,000 miles young

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Razzi
anyone know where i can get some damn windshield fluid nozzles? one of mine is clogged and i need a set. all i can find at autozone, checkers and oreilly's are stupid huge chrome ones with flashing LEDs, i just want 2 black nozzles that will shoot fluid onto my windshield
Why don't you pick up some ricer LED ones from Checker?

Hey everybody! Heard u guys got your first official frost out there. I feel for ya.

I like the new site graphically and functionally but I also miss the front page with the stories like Brian said. And the search tool is useless right now.

What has everyone been up to? Besides Josh pwning on the autocross course

Last edited by underst8; 08-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan.... will you be my friend? lol - not sure how the friend invite works, but you may want to check your messages. There's probably something there.

So I'm a cheap ass and quit getting the paper like a year ago. I'm spreading the word - I'm on the lookout for a remote starter for my truck. Due to the chipped key, I want it installed rather than the do-it-yourself kind.

If anyone runs across anything for a good deal, let me know I'm trying to keep it around $150 or so. I know I can get it anytime for $200, but have seen it as cheap as $99 near the holidays. I don't mind the snow and the windows, or even the sub-zero insides in the morning. But nothing pisses me off more than having to scrape the frost off your windows everyday. (or at least when I had to drive the blazer) I will be officially "storing" the TL this winter. Not this drive it as long as it's not snowing too hard. I'm gonna park it Oct/Nov, and bring it back out in April sometime. During the winter I will be doing a tranny flush, tune-up, cabin air filter (+mod), and anything else I see fit. Maybe I'll do a coolant flush and stuff too. Either way - Im'ma get shit done dammit!!!

GO VIKES
Old 08-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by BlackuraTL
lol I agree and the subscribed threads doesn't work for me or the search tool. But I'm leavin right now for the state fair to go eat some chocolate covered bacon!!
Chocolate covered bacon? Who the hell thought of that? Was it on a stick?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Dan.... will you be my friend? lol - not sure how the friend invite works, but you may want to check your messages. There's probably something there.

So I'm a cheap ass and quit getting the paper like a year ago. I'm spreading the word - I'm on the lookout for a remote starter for my truck. Due to the chipped key, I want it installed rather than the do-it-yourself kind.

If anyone runs across anything for a good deal, let me know I'm trying to keep it around $150 or so. I know I can get it anytime for $200, but have seen it as cheap as $99 near the holidays. I don't mind the snow and the windows, or even the sub-zero insides in the morning. But nothing pisses me off more than having to scrape the frost off your windows everyday. (or at least when I had to drive the blazer) I will be officially "storing" the TL this winter. Not this drive it as long as it's not snowing too hard. I'm gonna park it Oct/Nov, and bring it back out in April sometime. During the winter I will be doing a tranny flush, tune-up, cabin air filter (+mod), and anything else I see fit. Maybe I'll do a coolant flush and stuff too. Either way - Im'ma get shit done dammit!!!

GO VIKES
Dude, just park it and put it on a battery tender. Tranny fluid doesn't have to be changed until 100K, coolant 50K, etc. Just park it and make certain that it has been winterized. Then when spring comes, if you have anything left from putting gas in that truck every day, you can put $300 into a set of muffs like Dan got.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 PM
fu

just got my car back from teh ack dealership.
took care of the noises i was hearing both from headers and i guess a bearing got dry and caused loud whistling noises. but the car sounds like 50x better and i think runs smoother
Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro

Do you know what they did to quiet the headers? My noise is getting slightly worse and I think I'm actually starting to feel a small power loss. My car sounds like crap in 1st gear around 1800k and when passing lol.

Last edited by ts_vaj; 08-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 PM
fu

umm, haha, no, i just know it cost me $33, and they said they tightened up the heat shield
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Punctuation Nazi

There is no heat sheild on your headers. They are probably referring to the one on your cat that normally causes a bit of rattle at idle.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
fu

i was thinking there was no headshield on the headers, but i was unsure if there were more, but so thats probably what it was
Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by asujosh1
There is no heat sheild on your headers. They are probably referring to the one on your cat that normally causes a bit of rattle at idle.
There is a heat shield under the body of the car maybe thats the one they tighten. The noise you were hearing was just vibration.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 AM
140,000 miles young

Originally Posted by ts_vaj
Do you know what they did to quiet the headers? My noise is getting slightly worse and I think I'm actually starting to feel a small power loss. My car sounds like crap in 1st gear around 1800k and when passing lol.
Did you wrap the flex pipe with header wrap when you installed them? That is known to quiet down some noise issues.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Dude, just park it and put it on a battery tender. Tranny fluid doesn't have to be changed until 100K, coolant 50K, etc. Just park it and make certain that it has been winterized. Then when spring comes, if you have anything left from putting gas in that truck every day, you can put $300 into a set of muffs like Dan got.
Maybe I should check the manual and see for sure what needs to be done. I'm at 70k, with basically no maintanance besides air filter and oil changes. That's why I figured I might as well get some of this done during downtime.

Hey - does anyone know much about body shops and/or insurance? I'm looking at doing something that I don't know can be done. Basically I brought my car into the shop by me and they said they could just put a patch on the bumper, and repaint it for under $500. Not that I'm looking to rip anyone off, but I'm not cool with a patch. Not to mention it was a hit and run, and it took me almost 2 weeks to find the company responsible for it.

I wonder what would happen if I either went to another body shop and asked for a second opinion, and maybe asked about a new bumper; or could I just go in and say nothing about the accident, and tell them I want a quote for a new bumper, (aspec kit ) and paint.

Anyone know if there is any difference in the quotes? Jorge - I may get the name of the shop you went to and bring my car there. Sounds like they treat their customers right, and I wouldn't mind giving them some business. Plus I'll let them know who sent me - so you might be able to collect some more painting favors from them if needed.

So what do you all think? Take my $500 and get a new bumper, or should I try to go for a full aspec and see what happens?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Punctuation Nazi

If you can do A-spec, do it! I think it looks super-pimp on Jorge's car, and if you ever get decent wheels, it would just make your car look that much better.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by underst8
Did you wrap the flex pipe with header wrap when you installed them? That is known to quiet down some noise issues.
It's also a good way to get the steel mesh to rust more quickly...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Broke college grad

What josh said
Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I think Dan might be the only one that can take advantage of this, but there is someone in the BM looking to trade an OEM hood for his CF hood.

I asked what year its from, and why he's getting rid of it. Looks like a 2G hood, but it could be 1G. Dunno

<Edit: woohoo - no more 5 minute edit rule >

Last edited by GLowrdr; 08-26-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Broke college grad

Seriously what's the time limit now? And in his avatar pic it looks like a 2nd gen CL, I saw that thread earlier.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:33 PM
fu

Looking to get some rim/wheel combos on craigslist.
input/knowing if these will fit from you guys would be nice, plus which are your favorites..
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/811749728.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/789204676.html
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by underst8
I considered it...but was afraid of problems from wrapping them. Heard it causes some hotspots in the long run. The car sounds quiet when it's cold...then it warms up and you can hear the noises.

You know what's weird is that today for the whole day, the noises were almost non-existant...the car was quiet again...only a tiny bit or noise during hard acceleration.... I noticed it quieted during the wee hours this morning after I did some spirited driving on the freeway. I sure hope it stays this way...so I dont have to look at it ahah.

Last edited by ts_vaj; 08-26-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
fu

Another quick question hopefully some of you can help me with..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...WDVWQQtcZphoto
Is that the spacers and stuff, or am I thinking of something else? is it worth it?

And have you guys ever thought of that software that can increase HP by 35, and fuel efficiency by 31%? does it work, or is it all a hoax? cuz couldn't one of us get it and then share it with everyone?

Also, where should I purcahse a new UR pulley, and should I go with stock diam. or something smaller?

haha, i have so many questions, and am just triyng to figure out what to do with mymoney..
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Maybe I should check the manual and see for sure what needs to be done. I'm at 70k, with basically no maintanance besides air filter and oil changes. That's why I figured I might as well get some of this done during downtime.

Hey - does anyone know much about body shops and/or insurance? I'm looking at doing something that I don't know can be done. Basically I brought my car into the shop by me and they said they could just put a patch on the bumper, and repaint it for under $500. Not that I'm looking to rip anyone off, but I'm not cool with a patch. Not to mention it was a hit and run, and it took me almost 2 weeks to find the company responsible for it.

I wonder what would happen if I either went to another body shop and asked for a second opinion, and maybe asked about a new bumper; or could I just go in and say nothing about the accident, and tell them I want a quote for a new bumper, (aspec kit ) and paint.

Anyone know if there is any difference in the quotes? Jorge - I may get the name of the shop you went to and bring my car there. Sounds like they treat their customers right, and I wouldn't mind giving them some business. Plus I'll let them know who sent me - so you might be able to collect some more painting favors from them if needed.

So what do you all think? Take my $500 and get a new bumper, or should I try to go for a full aspec and see what happens?
Glow you can get a second opinion. Yes I would bring it to Faiway collision ask for Troy or I can go with you if you want but I have to let you know that I am coaching Football so we have toarrange when to go. If Fairway does the job it will be a great job.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by Slepybear
Another quick question hopefully some of you can help me with..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...WDVWQQtcZphoto
Is that the spacers and stuff, or am I thinking of something else? is it worth it?

And have you guys ever thought of that software that can increase HP by 35, and fuel efficiency by 31%? does it work, or is it all a hoax? cuz couldn't one of us get it and then share it with everyone?

Also, where should I purcahse a new UR pulley, and should I go with stock diam. or something smaller?

haha, i have so many questions, and am just triyng to figure out what to do with mymoney..
As for the software that increases HP - doesn't exist. It's probably more of a "chip" than anything. Think of it this way - if it were as easy as reprogramming something for 30+ horse, wouldn't everyone have done it?

As for the thermal spacers, I guess for the price it wouldn't hurt. What you actually want generally is a thermal block spacer made of aluminum. That actually provides some distance and heat disapation. What that guy is selling are just pieces of plastic that seperate your TB. Same concept, just kind of a half-assed kit. But again - for 99 cents, its worth a shot.

For the UR pulley - we have a vendor for that. Forget which ones carry them though. Otherwise just google it. If you have a system, go with the stock size. Otherwise your real gains will be from the underdrive pulley. This actually cuts power to your alternator though, which is why you don't want to use it if you have aftermarket stuff.

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Glow you can get a second opinion. Yes I would bring it to Faiway collision ask for Troy or I can go with you if you want but I have to let you know that I am coaching Football so we have toarrange when to go. If Fairway does the job it will be a great job.
I actually got 3 more quotes today. 1 is for bumper replacement/paint (745.97); another is for bumper fix, add a rear aspec/paint (1058.87) and the last was for bumper repair and full aspec/paint (2165.77).

Looking at the quote, no way they are gonna buy a full aspec. Too obvious. But I will send them the 1058 quote since it says repair rear bumper, replace spoiler dealer installed. This seems logical enough as long as they don't need to see the vehicle and notice there was no lip kit to begin with.

So basically the way I see it, I will get paid 1058. They will do just a fix/paint on the rear bumper for 477. That leaves me 581. I come up with $200 extra and I can buy the full aspec kit from tim. Then for another 300-400 more I can get it painted. So roughly $500 out of pocket I get a full kit.

Unless you guys think screw getting the bumper fixed, buy the aspec, get it painted, and I've only got roughly 200-300 invested to cover the paint? Then I would need to have you help install it Jorge since you are the resident expert

Damn.... me and my long posts. Maybe I should have seperated this into chapters so I could put an index in this biotch. lol
Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Punctuation Nazi

The 5Zigen wheels will fit, those Enkeis have too low of an offset, I doubt they will work.

As for pulleys, get the Unorthodox Racing underdrive from Excelerate. I notice that you have a couple of 12's in your car, as long as you are not running too much power to them, you should be ok. Even then, if you were to get a good sized capacitor, you wouldnt have a problem. The guys at Excelerate should be able to tell you which will work best for your application.

The spacers are the real deal, but they will not fit your car.

Glow, Aluminum is what the intake is made of, why would you add another chunk of it? If it was good enough to dissipate heat, no one would need the thermobloks that are PLASTIC because they insulate the the upper intake manifold from the lower intake manifold. It is true that aluminum dissipates heat quickly, but obiously not that fast or aluminum blocks would never get up to temp.

Last edited by asujosh1; 08-27-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Broke college grad

Well I'm officialy moved in to my dorm and the ack is offially sitting in my garage at home!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Punctuation Nazi

What school are you going to?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM
fu

what should i pay for the 5zigens?
he said the price is negotiable, i think he was asking like 500, but my stupid cousin closed the link, and he took it off CL, but is still talking with me
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Broke college grad

Bethel its in arden hills
Old 08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Hey, that just means that you are closer to downtown. Too bad you have to take a bus everywhere... How are you supposed to go out on dates? "hey babe, jump on these here handlebars, we're going on a date!"
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
T-Swzy

500 bucks for a set of 18s with tires is a great deal. throw out your offer of 400 anyway and see what happens. worst that could come is you pay 500 for wheels and tires >.>
Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
fu

thats the plan.
I might go see him friday, and then maybe we can roll at uni?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Broke college grad

Hey, that just means that you are closer to downtown. Too bad you have to take a bus everywhere... How are you supposed to go out on dates? "hey babe, jump on these here handlebars, we're going on a date!"
lol I don't know, I been thinkin about that. Just call my parents and say hey bring me my car I'm goin on a date hahaha
Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear

Hello
Old 08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Hey, Welcome to the board Matt! Bout time you signed up!

I'm guessing it is a slow work day though....
Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

Hey, Welcome to the board Matt! Bout time you signed up!

I'm guessing it is a slow work day though....
Every day is slow... more importantly, it's a slow forum day. Not much to read up on so I figured I'd join.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Advanced

As for the software that increases HP - doesn't exist. It's probably more of a "chip" than anything. Think of it this way - if it were as easy as reprogramming something for 30+ horse, wouldn't everyone have done it?

As for the thermal spacers, I guess for the price it wouldn't hurt. What you actually want generally is a thermal block spacer made of aluminum. That actually provides some distance and heat disapation. What that guy is selling are just pieces of plastic that seperate your TB. Same concept, just kind of a half-assed kit. But again - for 99 cents, its worth a shot.

For the UR pulley - we have a vendor for that. Forget which ones carry them though. Otherwise just google it. If you have a system, go with the stock size. Otherwise your real gains will be from the underdrive pulley. This actually cuts power to your alternator though, which is why you don't want to use it if you have aftermarket stuff.

I actually got 3 more quotes today. 1 is for bumper replacement/paint (745.97); another is for bumper fix, add a rear aspec/paint (1058.87) and the last was for bumper repair and full aspec/paint (2165.77).

Looking at the quote, no way they are gonna buy a full aspec. Too obvious. But I will send them the 1058 quote since it says repair rear bumper, replace spoiler dealer installed. This seems logical enough as long as they don't need to see the vehicle and notice there was no lip kit to begin with.

So basically the way I see it, I will get paid 1058. They will do just a fix/paint on the rear bumper for 477. That leaves me 581. I come up with $200 extra and I can buy the full aspec kit from tim. Then for another 300-400 more I can get it painted. So roughly $500 out of pocket I get a full kit.

Unless you guys think screw getting the bumper fixed, buy the aspec, get it painted, and I've only got roughly 200-300 invested to cover the paint? Then I would need to have you help install it Jorge since you are the resident expert
Damn.... me and my long posts. Maybe I should have seperated this into chapters so I could put an index in this biotch. lol
Glow the kit comes painted no need to waste you money on paint. Just put that in to my exhaust fund Mine don't seem to be long enough
Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by marks_lude
Hello
Welcome on board
Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
T-Swzy

has been pretty slow lately. i'll be postin more in a few weeks when i get some mods in. school startin tuesday and im runnin around like crazy
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Damn.. I didn't know that the kit came painted for the $850. Well this is good news then, because I'm not sure that I will be getting as much as I originally thought.

Still a chance though. The other company denied hitting me, so Progressive came to my house and took pictures and measured the damage height. This shouldn't be a problem because those 2 long scratches are going to match up to something on that van. I'm sure it was the bolts on the bumper, or some rubber trim or something. But - since I didn't just imagine everything, it should all work out in the end.

The only thing I don't know, is with so many pictures - they may give me their own estimate (and pay me the $500 instead of the grand I'm looking for)

- I should know by next Tues or Wed.

Last edited by GLowrdr; 08-29-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Damn.. I didn't know that the kit came painted for the $850. Well this is good news then, because I'm not sure that I will be getting as much as I originally thought.

Still a chance though. The other company denied hitting me, so Progressive came to my house and took pictures and measured the damage height. This shouldn't be a problem because those 2 long scratches are going to match up to something on that van. I'm sure it was the bolts on the bumper, or some rubber trim or something. But - since I didn't just imagine everything, it should all work out in the end.

The only thing I don't know, is with so many pictures - they may give me their own estimate (and pay me the $500 instead of the grand I'm looking for)

- I should know by next Tues or Wed.
Remember I gave you the information. I get the extra cash
Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Razzi thanks for the invite but I have to pick up my wife at the airport.

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras