Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Hey smokin - how often do you work in Bloomington? I guess I/we could stop by the saint paul location too sometime.

I may be interested in at least checking out your laptop selection sometime. I'm sure Josh would be down for tagging along too?
I am going to be there Wednesday and Thursday for sure....not sure about next week yet...boss hasen't figured out schedule yet so will keep you guys updated.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

here is a few old pictures of my PC....I cleaned it after taking the pictures and it looks alot more organized then before (which is this picture) too lazy to take new pictures lol also this was when I had it at 3.7GHz just for the hell of it

Last edited by smokincivic; 07-15-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Punctuation Nazi

I'm down Glow, just let me know when.

I also picked up those wheels, I just have to get some lugnuts so that I can mount them up.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. I got some drugs from doc today, so hopefully they kick in sometime soon. That'll be the deciding factor for me.

When you putting them wheels on Josh? Don't suppose it's gonna wait until this weekend huh? lol

Hey - you guys are more of an expert on this than I am. What do you think it would run me to drop my car? Nothing crazy slammed or anything - more along the lines of as cheap as I can without being cheap about it. I don't want to throw someone's used $40 springs on with some hockey pucks, but I also can't spend 2k buying all electronically controlled suspension either. Would someone "piece" together a kit they think would be pretty slick, but not cost me an arm and a leg? I'm looking at getting some 19's next spring - keep this in mind of needed.

Smokin - how's the quad core treating you anyways? The quads were just starting to come out when I built my system, and I decided I didn't really need the quad. I think there was literally like a $20 difference between the two. But also at the time, the quads were running like 2.1g I think, so I opted for the 3.2 duel.

I never OC my PC's. I guess I'd rather just build a new PC. For instance, I went from a 3600+ 64x2 on my last system to the 6400+ 64x2 on my new system. The jump was significant enough that I wasn't too worried about OC'ing.

I guess though, could consider it like our cars - might as well unlock the HP under the hood if it's there.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Springs are about $200, that's all you need. The stock shocks will be fine until you start racing your car.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Broke college grad

ABC you weren't at jorge's so now I gotta see pics of the exhaust if your still gonna sell it.

So what do all you guys do for a living? Those of you who are not in school anyways.

Smokin we gotta get you to a meet.

And I'm still waitin on the guy on craigslist to send me pics of the wheels. Its taking forever!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Racer

hey guys - quick question (off topic). i got my 2nd tint ticket on Sunday, & am now contemplating removing my tint, because I know now that anytime I get pulled over in the future I'm going to get a tint ticket. I have my windows tinted at 25%, but was wondering if I remove the tint from the front two windows, leaving the rear window & the two windows for the rear doors, is that legal? I can't remember. Sorry to bring up the exhausted tint issue.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I actually just brought that up a few weeks ago actually - so you have come to the right place.

No - it's not legal. I was under some misconceptions when it came to tinting windows, but here is the long and short of what I have learned:

Cars cannot have any window tinted more than 50%

Trucks and SUV's with FACTORY smoked windows can be as dark as they want as long as it's behind the driver (i.e. rear doors and back window) - but the fronts can still only be 50%

There are some exceptions for medical, and limo classified vehicles - but that really isn't going to apply here.

If I were you, I would say to remove the tint and just go with something like 40%. Its darker than legal, but the cops can still see you as you drive by, so they shouldn't harass you.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Punctuation Nazi

The problem comes in when you get pulled over for speeding and the cop busts out his handy-dandy tint meter and measures you at 40% and writes you again...

The only thing you can do is pull it off completely and show the court the photos so you don't have to pay the fine, and then put up 50% on the fronts. But, 50% is only good for not giving you a sunburn while you drive, it's not going to make it any darker.

I did a ride-along with the Mpls cops last summer and their take was that they didn't care what you had on the back as long as the fronts weren't darker than 50%. But, this was also just two cops in one department. If you want to be fully legal, you cannot have anything darker than 50% anywhere on the car.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 AM
140,000 miles young

Ooo, nice pickup on those wheels Josh! you should mount them up before I get out there.

Since we are nerding it out somewhat, here is my PC. it's a little long in the tooth (2.0 athlon OCd to 2.35) but she still has it where it counts. I need to start from scratch again soon.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BlackuraTL
Smokin we gotta get you to a meet.
Thats what I have been trying to say....we need to all meet up and go for a ride some where where there is a nice road for us to cruise on. I told my wife about this and she thinks its gay but I told her how many times are you ever going to see 3-4 car lanes on the highway just full of Acuras???? I would to meet up and go for a cruise and then just chill and bbq!!!! Let me know what you guys think????
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

hey Dan - in that first picture... What's that big thing on the left? Looks like it may be made by Sony?

Meets and BBQ's happen almost weekly, at least every other week. Cruising I'm not sure about, but it's been known to happen before as well.

Hey - has anyone really put much more thought into the big meet for the summer? And Dan - when was it that you were coming? The end of this month, or was it August?

If nobody wants to step up to the plate and organize something - I will be glad to put my big 'ol grill to use again.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, Meet at my house for some grilling and to kick back a couple beers, cruise on over to Taylors Falls and find a good park or spot that we can all stop and stretch the legs for a bit. Then we could either continue on and goto the Wisconsin twisties, or call it a day and start making our way back to the cities. Once back - we could hit up university and check things out, grab some food, and see what happens.

I'm guessing the only thing that may change, is whether we goto my place or Jorge's. (Just mapquested it, and it looks like Jorge is about 10 miles closer for everyone to our destination)
Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Broke college grad

I was just siging on to ask about this lol. I was gonna say since we can't get a buerkle meet we should try to get all of us in this thread, including people that haven't come yet. And find a park or somebody's house and grill then go for a drive. Glow I like your idea of goin to Taylors Falls and then chillen and then coming back to university. I say we plan it for ahead so its not just a week in advance and we can all put it on our calenders so nobody has anything goin on. I say we try when underst8's back too. I'll try to hunt down all the MN people on here and PM if we decide to do this. I could even try to find some Wisconsin guys that are pretty close too. So I'm down for this.

Last edited by BlackuraTL; 07-16-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Racer

I actually just brought that up a few weeks ago actually - so you have come to the right place.

No - it's not legal. I was under some misconceptions when it came to tinting windows, but here is the long and short of what I have learned:

Cars cannot have any window tinted more than 50%

Trucks and SUV's with FACTORY smoked windows can be as dark as they want as long as it's behind the driver (i.e. rear doors and back window) - but the fronts can still only be 50%

There are some exceptions for medical, and limo classified vehicles - but that really isn't going to apply here.

If I were you, I would say to remove the tint and just go with something like 40%. Its darker than legal, but the cops can still see you as you drive by, so they shouldn't harass you.
that's just it - i spent around $200 to get it tinted, plus another $140 for the first tint ticket, and i'll probably have to pay to have it removed. spending more money to have it tinted again, just seems like a waste. but i've never had a car w/o tinted windows. i think it's smarter to just remove the tint, but i'm not gonna like it.

Originally Posted by asujosh1
The problem comes in when you get pulled over for speeding and the cop busts out his handy-dandy tint meter and measures you at 40% and writes you again...
this is my exact fear - and i'm pretty sure that why he ticketed me on Sunday. I'm sure he saw that i rcv'd a tint ticket a few months back, and i still have the tint on, so freebee ticket for him.

The only thing you can do is pull it off completely and show the court the photos so you don't have to pay the fine, and then put up 50% on the fronts. But, 50% is only good for not giving you a sunburn while you drive, it's not going to make it any darker.

I did a ride-along with the Mpls cops last summer and their take was that they didn't care what you had on the back as long as the fronts weren't darker than 50%. But, this was also just two cops in one department. If you want to be fully legal, you cannot have anything darker than 50% anywhere on the car.
I think I'm just gonna to pull it all off & show the court, so I can get the ticket waived. It's getting expensive to have this on, even though these are the only two tint tickets I've rcv'd in 15 years of driving, and living in 3 different states.

Thanks for the info/suggestions guys!!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Broke college grad

Where to you live and drive exactly that you have been getting these tickets?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Racer

Where to you live and drive exactly that you have been getting these tickets?
The one I got a few months ago, I was in Plymouth, driving thru a parking lot & a cop just sitting there saw me, waited for me to come out of the caribou drive thru, then pulled me over for tint.

The one I got on Sun, I was on hwy 610 in Blaine, got pulled over for speeding, and also got the tint ticket. Cops were all over hwy 610 that day.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Broke college grad

Haha oh yeah I live in Blaine and I learned not to speed on 610 when I got my car. I bet I could tell you exactly where he was sitting too lol, under the bridge thats by the watertower that says Blaine right? On the left side in the middle. That was before I had tint though so. I haven't really had problems with blaine cops and tint. Some have followed me but just go away. I know most of them don't care in blaine but some are anal about it. What was the cops name if you remember?

Last edited by BlackuraTL; 07-16-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Racer

Oh yeah I live in Blaine and I learned not to speed on 610 when I got my car. I bet I could tell you exactly where he was sitting too. That was before I had tint though so. I haven't really had problems with blaine cops and tint. Some have followed me but just go away. I know most of them don't care in blaine but some are anal about it. What was the cops name if you remember?

Yeah, I always see chargers under the bridges, but this was an actual police cruiser, and I THINK he was sitting backed up onto the grass behind the bridge. I didnt see him at all until he was on the hwy behind me & he was friggin' movin'!!! he got right on my ass - he was so close i couldnt see his headlights in my rearview mirror. what pissed me off is that i was going the same speed as a pick up truck in the lane next to me, so i asked him why he pulled me over, as opposed to the pickup. he said something like, "i was using laser & saw you, so that's why." just be honest, dick, and say that you were tracking me because of the way my car looks.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Since Dan has been missing in action today, I pulled up this: "I'm landing in town on Wednesday the 23rd of July and will be free until like Saturday night "

So it looks like we may not be in time for our big summer meet. Dan - if you're free Saturdaay during the day, I'm sure we could put one hell of a meet together with 2 weeks notice though.

Let us know and we will plan accordingly
Old 07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Punctuation Nazi

It's about time you showed up Dan, jeez.

The wheels are pretty sweet, and I can't wait to get them on, I just have to get some new lugs, the factory ones are too fat. I tried to mount one up while I was in his parking lot, but the lugs let me down.

Something I forgot to mention, the D-Bag that I purchased them from hosed them down with friggin Armor-All so that they would be shiny and look nice. I commented about it and his response was 'is that bad?', only if you dont mind sliding all over the place you moron. There was also some minor curbage on two of them, so I dropped a chunk of the price off and got a good deal.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Since Dan has been missing in action today, I pulled up this: "I'm landing in town on Wednesday the 23rd of July and will be free until like Saturday night "

So it looks like we may not be in time for our big summer meet. Dan - if you're free Saturdaay during the day, I'm sure we could put one hell of a meet together with 2 weeks notice though.

Let us know and we will plan accordingly
Dammit man, you can't have the big meet the only weekend I am out of town! It's bad enough that Dan chose that weekend to be here, don't make me miss the big meet of the year too!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Racer

It's about time you showed up Dan, jeez.

The wheels are pretty sweet, and I can't wait to get them on, I just have to get some new lugs, the factory ones are too fat. I tried to mount one up while I was in his parking lot, but the lugs let me down.

Something I forgot to mention, the D-Bag that I purchased them from hosed them down with friggin Armor-All so that they would be shiny and look nice. I commented about it and his response was 'is that bad?', only if you dont mind sliding all over the place you moron. There was also some minor curbage on two of them, so I dropped a chunk of the price off and got a good deal.
nice, that coat of armor-all also helps the brake dust stick to the wheels too.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by gunner252
nice, that coat of armor-all also helps the brake dust stick to the wheels too.

Ever see a front wheel drive drift car? lol

Don't worry Josh... I'm pretty sure it will be low key. Probably just get some people together for a bbq somewhere and maybe work on some of these things on the to-do list. Still got headers I think, navi, a carPC case. Never ending.

BTW - I finally got my tails sealed with no leakage, and the headlight moisture has gone away completely. Yah for me.

Now the issue that I'm having that may or may not be an issue at all - is that I noticed that my drivers side rear bumper doesn't seem to catch the hooks right. It should hook to the black bumper impact stuff, but one of the hooks doesn't seem to want to catch. I wonder if I loosen the two bolts at the trunk, if I could push the bumper cover over like a 1/8 of an inch.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Broke college grad

Okay so I say we have a little bbq with dan then when he's here atleast since we can't have the big meet then. And we'll just have to set up the big meet some other time then?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Ever see a front wheel drive drift car? lol

Don't worry Josh... I'm pretty sure it will be low key. Probably just get some people together for a bbq somewhere and maybe work on some of these things on the to-do list. Still got headers I think, navi, a carPC case. Never ending.

BTW - I finally got my tails sealed with no leakage, and the headlight moisture has gone away completely. Yah for me.

Now the issue that I'm having that may or may not be an issue at all - is that I noticed that my drivers side rear bumper doesn't seem to catch the hooks right. It should hook to the black bumper impact stuff, but one of the hooks doesn't seem to want to catch. I wonder if I loosen the two bolts at the trunk, if I could push the bumper cover over like a 1/8 of an inch.

Im on my way to whip your ass in Bigs! Brian have a BBQ! I will bring my import killer.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 PM
T-Swzy

well for the big meet, here's what i wanted to do. saturday morning get up and go to george's at 10 or so and make the cars nice and shiny, gather bbq supplies and what not, maybe a football, get some mods done. then we go to phalen lake, i really wanted this place lol. it's got volleyball nets, golf course, big open fields, nice twisty road, bbq pits, fishing spots, boat rental, them covered canopy thing to hide from the sun, and best of all, bathrooms. bbq there and this is where we can make the main portion of our meet be. so that we can tell other acura about a meet. and just have them show up at phalen. stay, chill., bbq and throw some pigskin around. hell, contests?

then when we're done, we'd be left with the enthusiasts. we can drive our fat asses to wisconsin, or just head over to uni and show them civics how we do :P

was thinking maybe a month from now. mid august or so

ill go take some pictures of phalen tomorrow and see what you guys think. is taylor falls the one way the hell up, like 80 miles north of minneapolis?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Wait, Razzi, where did you come from, I haven't heard from you in like, forever. Did you get a girlfriend or something? Or did you parents just ban you from hanging out with the Acura guys because we are a bad influence?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Broke college grad

Fine with me you get the date and details and i'll start huntin people down.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 PM
T-Swzy

since i stopped working and schooling i started hanging out more. and what happens when you get out, you make friends
havent been this busy in a while, but i still keep azine on my agenda
Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by Razzi

is taylor falls the one way the hell up, like 80 miles north of minneapolis?
Yep. It's basically the MN side of the Wisconsin border. But it's all rocky and has cliffs and stuff. It's actually a state park up there. The roads are nice and twisty, and there is some pretty slick scenery to boot.

But Lake Phalen sounds cool to me. I just suggested some stuff to get us motivated. Otherwise we would have "planned" this big meet for a month from now, then the week before we would have said what's going on.

I played bocce ball with my neighbors over the 4th weekend and it was a blast. We played in like 4 yards. Just kept throwing the balls furhter down the block until we were pretty far from the cooler and we decided that we should start getting closer. I can bring that and the bags game.

And whats this about bathrooms Ken? Can't you go for a few hours without shitting, or do you sit when you pee? I'm cool with just taking aim and cycling the beer deposits wherever. But I suppose... a bathroom may be cool too. It attracts chicks (I just look to see how good I have it now )
Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Broke college grad

I'm getting pumped just for the drive I say we drive to Taylors Falls. They do have some good scenery and roads just for this lol.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Punctuation Nazi

O was a good road over in WI, everyone had fun driving that one, but it took too long to find that road. We need to plan the route ahead of time.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Instructor

gunner you can remove your tint yourself. at walmart they sale tint removel spray. im not sure how it work but you can try. the dor panel is very easy to remove.
I tinted my window myself at 35%. cost $62 only 4 windows it doesn't look to good but it help from getting sunburn and the heat getting in. im try to get the back window done too.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Racer

i don't want to talk about removing my tint - i'm in denial.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

O was a good road over in WI, everyone had fun driving that one, but it took too long to find that road. We need to plan the route ahead of time.

Josh - if we wanted to, we can still hit O for the curves. I got married in Grantsburg, WI and it was somewhere right off O. There were 2 ways to get there... one being 35 and the other was to go through Taylors Falls.

We took 35 there, and took Taylors falls back once we figured out we could. Much better scenery than counting corn stalks. Heck - any of you wine drinkers? I got married at a winery, and I still have the cordinates in my GPS. It was like an hour and a half drive, but it was good fun (for those of you that have been on O - you know whatI mean). We could always stop by the winery and have a beer, then turn around...lol
Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Broke college grad

I don't care where we go I just think it'd be nice to go through Taylors Falls.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by ls1sizzledizzle
Im on my way to whip your ass in Bigs! Brian have a BBQ! I will bring my import killer.

Bigs = Sha-na-na-naaa... sha-na-na-naa... hey.. hey........ goooood-byeeee.... Whooped your ass

As for the bbq - we are definately planning at least 2 in the near future. One will probably be next week, the other I would guess mid-August?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Check this shit out bitches!!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Honda Noob

damn that looks goooooood!! how much did you pay again?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
T-Swzy

oh god that looks good, more pics plz
how's the ride quality?

feel like throwin them 17s my way? trade ya for them 16s with brand new tires

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras