Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropwd
Yeah i meant mute, my bad. Naww, i would go with the 16" version as the harness that you will have to tap in to is close to where the sunroof switch is. The excess is just right in case you need to move it around.
Thanks Nitro I ordered it and I await the arrival
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning on putting the 17" tires on my stock wheels, but if I get the 18"s I will be selling the tires to make some money to cover the tires I have to buy for the 18" wheels.

Besides, Jermaine was already hitting me up for the tires if I didn't put them on the TL. I'll tell you the same thing I told him, I'm not going to turn a profit on you guys. Everyone here knows what I paid for them, and I need to get at least a few hundred for them if I am going to buy 18" tires.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by asujosh1
I am planning on putting the 17" tires on my stock wheels, but if I get the 18"s I will be selling the tires to make some money to cover the tires I have to buy for the 18" wheels.

Besides, Jermaine was already hitting me up for the tires if I didn't put them on the TL. I'll tell you the same thing I told him, I'm not going to turn a profit on you guys. Everyone here knows what I paid for them, and I need to get at least a few hundred for them if I am going to buy 18" tires.
My feeling is hurt Ok enough with that. I am searching if I find something I will show up at the next Auto-X event and race for the cup and get all the ladies and be famous like Or maybe not
Old 06-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Punctuation Nazi

If you want to win, first you gotta beat me, then you gotta go after that BMW that is 9 seconds ahead of me. To beat me, you have to show up with a car and get on the track.

E spent about 30 seconds and put the photo of the wheels on the TL to give me a rough idea of what they would look like on. The P-Chop looks like hell, but she literally spent 30 seconds on it.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM
140,000 miles young

They look pimptastic.

That invisicord site is pretty cool. I think I am going to order the DIY kit for the connectors, unless any of you knows what they are so I can go pick them up at radio shack.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by underst8
They look pimptastic.
Lol - they look like cardboard hubcaps. But - we get the idea.

I will check out the site and do some research. I used to work at radio shack until I got caught stealing one too many batteries. Can't work at a place like that and not expect something to accidentally fall into your pocket. Everything there is so damn small and useful if your an electronics nerd.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:23 PM
T-Swzy

goddamit josh do it

hey someone wanna lend me 300 bucks haha
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/736450786.html
Old 07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Punctuation Nazi

I just talked to TireRack and they pretty much told me that it wasnt going to happen without me moving around the suspension geometry.

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!
Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by Razzi
goddamit josh do it

hey someone wanna lend me 300 bucks haha
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/736450786.html

I think there a set of Magnaflow mufflers for sell on the Black Market for $160 if i'm not mistaken.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

hey guys - check out this article I pulled from MSNBC. It's about how kids now days are going out and buying $60k cars fresh out of school. It kind of hints to the fact that a lot of kids move home after college and buy nice ass cars, instead of getting their own place and a jalopy.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183349
Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
T-Swzy

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-maya-trafficstar-wheels-custom-exhaust-392263/

i dunno wtf tire rack is telling you josh. this bastard is running wheels bigger than yours, wider than yours, lower offset than yours, wider freakin tire than yours. suspension geometry? you mean a fucking camber kit?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM
T-Swzy

nvm urs are 9s, i thought they were 8s
Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Quick!!!! Somebody set up a meet. Ken is motivated and pissed off.

"Hey Ken - I heard someone say black cars are slow. I think they said they were going to the next meet too...." (that outta get him going for sure )
Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Higher offset means that the wheel is more underneath the car, and with a wider tire, that means that there is going to be more wheel to fit under there. Basically, if I could figure out how to do the longitudinal shocks that they use on formula cars, I would be set.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

So I always kind of took this for granted, but now I think I've stumbled upon a treasure that I never used.

The only gas station in Coon Rapids and Blaine that sells non-oxygenated gas happens to be the one right at the corner from my house.

I was reading up on some of the benefits and drawbacks of non-oxygenated versus ethyl-mixed fuels.

It appears that in higher horsepower cars, made for the higher octane - there is a substancial benefit for using the nonoxy. It's only the older daily drivers, and the ones made for 87 octane gas that the nonoxy is bad for. And that has more to do with the octane rating, and the vehicle not being able to burn all of the fuel.

So - Non-Oxygenated 92 octane is all my baby gets from now on. Woohoo

BTW - here is the link (if it doesn't work, goto the MSRA site)
http://www.msra.com/NonOxygenatedFue...st03.01.08.pdf
Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Punctuation Nazi

When we were racing, oxygenated fuel was not allowed because of the performance advantage it gave. I mean think of it, what do you need to make the car run? Gas and oxygen. If the gas has oxygen in it, then you can get more bang from a car that is not running as high a compression. If you are running a high compression, then you are already putting a lot of air in the cylinder and oxygenated fuel is just adding a little more.

Put up some of the links that you have been researching, I would be interested to read them.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Here are some links (click on anything colored), and a few sentences out of multi-page articles that only a part meant anything to me. I found better articles at work, but forgot the google search I was using.

The most significant barrier to wider use of fuel ethanol is its cost. Even with tax incentives for ethanol producers (see the section on Economic Effects), the fuel
tends to be more expensive than gasoline per gallon.
Furthermore, since fuel ethanol has a somewhat lower energy content, more fuel is required to travel the same distance. This energy loss leads to an approximate 3% decrease in miles-pergallon vehicle fuel economy with gasohol.13

Whole story here

Good ol' Paul Brand from the StarTrib

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that oxygenates (especially ethanol) generally reduce the energy content (BTU/lb) of the fuel in exchange for the octane increase (knock resistance) benefit you get.
Octane and energy content are not necessarily related to each other (as you're discovering).

What you need in the mix is more Toluene (good because of high octane and high energy content; bad for air quality because of high RVP and tendency to form CO if combustion not complete).

Good article, but keep in mind our stations in MN are oxygas - it mentions BP and others saying they are not

I dunno if the dates are right in this, but here's another little fact: What about oxygenated fuel in the winter?
In winter months, from November 1st through February 28th, oxygenated fuel is mandated for pollution reduction. This seasonal adjustment, when as much as 15% of the fuel is oxygen, causes gasoline to have higher volatility, vaporizing easier and thereby reducing emissions.. However, even though fuel will burn more efficiently, fuel mileage will go down in the winter with the use of oxygenated fuel because there is less gasoline in each gallon of fuel! Also, when calculating before and after mileage, be sure to compare similar fuels (oxygenated or non-oxygenated).
Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

By the way - not sure if there is a difference at all, but just to clarify my particular meaning:

Non-Oxygenated gas = Pure gas
Oxygenated gas = gas oxygenated by ethanol (10% here in MN)

The arguement is that pure gas is better, because it doesn't have the 10% "better for the enviroment" ethanol in it robbing you of power.

Kind of like how your gas mileage changes from summer / winter gas? Thats the ethanol.

OK... keep reading. I'm no expert, I'll let you guys make your own judgements.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Ok, so they are talking only about ethanol oxygenated gas, and in this case, it is correct. Ethanol gets a much lower MPG than standard gas. Most of the E85 vehicles sacrifice mileage for the ability to run dual fuels. Not to mention that Ethanol is not much cheaper than gas (mentioned in the article), possibly even more expensive.

As the article points out, ethanol is not the only oxygenate available, so to say that oxygenates are not good in general is incorrect. There are some that can actually greatly enhance the performance of your engine, but are not so great for the environment or the rubber seals within your engine.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Punctuation Nazi

From the VP Racing fuels website:

FOUR FUEL PROPERTIES

Listed below are the four basic qualities of fuels. As in everything, there are trade-offs. You can't make a racing fuel that has the best of everything, but you can produce one that will give your engine the most power. This is why VP produces different fuels for different applications. The key to getting the best racing gasoline is not necessarily buying the fuel with the highest octane, but getting one that is best suited for your engine.

1. OCTANE: This does nothing more than rate a fuel's ability to resist detonation and/or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers, (RON); Motor Octane Numbers, (MON); and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). Pump Octane Numbers are what you see on the yellow decal at gas stations, representing the average of the fuel's MON and RON. VP uses MON because this test method more accurately simulates racing conditions. The conditions under which fuels are tested using the RON method are not as demanding, thus the number is normally higher than the MON rating. This leads many other fuel companies to rate their fuels using the RON in an effort to make them appear more resistant to detonation. Don't be fooled by high RON numbers or an average -- MONs are the most relevant ratings for a racing application. Be aware, however, the ability of fuel to resist detonation is a function of more than just octane.

2. BURNING SPEED: This is the speed at which fuel releases its energy. At high RPMs, there is very little time (real time - not crank rotation) for fuel to release its energy. Peak cylinder pressure should occur around 20° ATDC. If the fuel is still burning after this, it is not contributing to peak cylinder pressure (which is what the rear wheels see).

3. ENERGY VALUE: An expression of the potential energy in the fuel. The energy value is measured in BTUs per pound, not per gallon. The difference is important. The air:fuel ratio is expressed in weight, not volume. Generally speaking, VP's fuels measure high BTUs per pound and thus, have a higher energy value. This higher energy value will have a positive impact on horsepower at any compression ratio or engine speed.

4. COOLING EFFECT: The cooling effect on fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher a fuel's heat of vaporization, the better its ability to cool the intake mixture. A better cooling effect can generate some horsepower gains in 4-stroke engines, and even bigger gains in 2-stroke engines.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Punctuation Nazi

While doing research just now I looked up Nutec, the race gas we used to put into the bikes. It is a 100% man-made fuel, no dinosaurs included. It costs about $15-25 per gallon, but also gives you anywhere between 5-15 HP at the wheel depending on how your bike is set up. So, what I am wondering is this: If they can make race fuel with a higher HP number than real gas, why don't they figure out how to make it cost effective and sell tons of it? Sounds a little odd, no?

It was pretty cool stuff too, instead of making your pipes black from carbon, it made them an almond color and it also smelled like almonds when you were burning it. Just thinking about it reminds me how much I like the smell of race gas in the morning... Anyway, this stuff was pretty cool stuff, but it would eat the rubber seals in the engine/fuel system, so when you were done using it, you would have to drain your tank and run regular gas through the bike until it smelled like good old burning dinosaurs.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 PM
fu

so i went back down to the refinery to take some better pictures, and then some federal person showed up, and said it was like illegal to take pictures of the refinery..
it pissed me off, because it was seriously the coolest picture ever
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Punctuation Nazi

I seriously HATE when they do that! There is NO LAW against taking photos of federal facilities, and refinerys are not federal facilities!!! They are preying upon the people that don't know any better and just using it as an excuse to get you to go away.

Go back and take our photos, if they hassle you, tell them to eff off.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...era-laws_x.htm
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Punctuation Nazi

And there is more:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
fu

thanks so much.
im printing this off, and going back, if he has a problem with it, i can just show him all of this stuff that says i have a legal right to tkaing pictures of whatever i want, as long as it doesn't intrude some ones personal privacy, which taking a picture of my car near some oil refinery obviously won't do..
Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Don't forget to always be nice when asserting your rights, cops can come up with all kinds of reasons to arrest you, so always be nice and respectful when defying them.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Broke college grad

Don't forget to always be nice when asserting your rights, cops can come up with all kinds of reasons to arrest you, so always be nice and respectful when defying them.
For sure, the biggest thing they hate is some teenage punk talking back. I know a few cops and they say most of the time as long as you cooperate and are nice and it wasn't something wayyyyy bad they won't give a ticket or anything.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:05 PM

I still like the autocrossers comment, drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers.

I'd rather be a fast driver than have a fast car any day.

Autocrossing is gay. "Lets drive around some cones in a parking lot."

Road course racing is the shit.

Pinto? My car will out handle and out drag your car. Your the one trying to make a race car out of a family sedan. Typical ricer.

Brian, what are you doing for the forth? Maybe I can stop by on my way to Eric's house and give you a ride.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
fu

i know, i make sure to always be as respectful and calm when talking with cops, and to always say sir and mam, that kind of stuff..
but i was thinking, this guy isn't actually part of the newport police, so I am thinking about going down there and making sure everything is legit..
because the parking lot doesn't say private property and no trespassing, and i don't think that a refinery that can be seen from miles around can be considered to sensitive.. right?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Broke college grad

Hey Glow where exactly in Coon Rapids do you live?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by ls1sizzledizzle

Pinto? My car will out handle and out drag your car. Your the one trying to make a race car out of a family sedan. Typical ricer.
Yup, I'm a ricer, you caught me. But, my car has been operational for the last oh, 5 years without a single need for maintenance, so it must be a piece of shit. Road racing is much more fun, I'll agree, but I don't want to pay to have a second car when I can race the TL and have a good time. Besides, I already spent 7 years road racing motorcycles, it's time for something different.

So, if your car is such a bad ride, why hasn't it been seen by anyone? I mean, it's one excuse after another as to why you can't drive it. Next thing you are going to say that you can't drive it because the sun is out. So, why don't you put up or shut up? Bring your ride on down to the next autocross event on August 3rd and we'll see what you can do. If you don't show up, we'll all know why.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by BlackuraTL
Hey Glow where exactly in Coon Rapids do you live?

I'm right off Coon Rapids Blvd and Crooked Lake. Back by the library (114th to be exact)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Brian, what are you doing for the forth? Maybe I can stop by on my way to Eric's house and give you a ride.

I'm gonna be heading on over to Kelli's aunt's house sometime in the afternoon. What time you thinking? They live kind of by shawns dads place - just down the road about a mile from him. Is that Jefferson I think?

Hit me up on my cell phone if you're gonna be in the area. Otherwise when's the next time you're off? We'll have to get together and run to BW3's one of these nights.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Talking

Hey sizzle lips be nice. Learn how to spell fourth. Do you drive how you spell.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 AM
fu

alright, I'm pretty sure that i really pissed of homeland security, but the cops i met were super tight and awesome..
Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by Slepybear
alright, I'm pretty sure that i really pissed of homeland security
I would have taken their picture too. You're in the clear until Bush comes with his shotgun.

"Run Cheney - Run"
Old 07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Broke college grad

Ok so here's the deal, I have been wanting to get rims for quite sometime now. The ones I want are like 1485 I think, I have like 1200 right now. I've been waiting to have enough money forever, because everytime I do get enough money something happens and I have to pay for something else. So do I wait until I start my new job at Boston Scientific in two weeks and eventually buy the rims or do I buy a bunch of littlier things. Like exhaust and try to find a WW spoiler and just either paint my wheels like Slepy's or buy some 02-03 stock type s rims for now. I want to atleast do something with my wheels, there so ugly! So buy rims and get little things someday later or buy little things now and probably not buy rims for a very long time?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Punctuation Nazi

wait until you get a job, you never know when you will need it
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Broke college grad

I have a job. My orientation is in two weeks and I'm not saying I would buy everything at once. But your right I should probably wait until I'm safe with the amount of money I have.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Definately wait. Think of it this way....

Buy little shit now, and you'll even have some gas money in the end. Paint your wheels - your gonna need them for winter ones when you buy rims anyways.

Plus - once you do get paychecks rolling in, $1400 for a guy that lives at home? Hell - that's 2 paychecks if you save most of it.

For me - $1400 takes me like 6 monthes to save, and that's only if I don't end up having to replace a damn $300 kitchen faucet or some shit because it's leaky.

Homeownership has it's advantages. Frivilous spending is not one of them. In other words... spend spend spend - there may be no tomorrow. lol

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras